The Mercenary Guild

Moderator: Mods

Paegan Shepherd

Post by Paegan Shepherd »

Paegan scratched his head, trying to remember the name of the clients as he mumbled, "Aternan...no no...Astinan...wait, I know. Asternan...I think?" Paegan shrugged towards Atheron, "Apparently, they're a rich family who're inclined to thier privacy and I wasn't to spread thier...name...around..."

Taking a pause, Paegan looked nervously at Atheron, "'Course you being the guild weaponmaster 'n'all, it wouldn't be a big problem tellin' you know would it?" spoke Paegan, who sounded a lot more like a plea a question.
Azric

Post by Azric »

With blinding speed, Atheron drew his dagger anew and leapt at Paegan. He grabbed the young mercenary by the hair and pressed the cold steel of the dagger blade against his throat.

"Listen boy," he said, through gritted teeth. Atheron brought his face menacingly close to Paegan's, forcing him to make eye contact. Paegan could smell the stink of the weaponmaster's breath. "If Kress 'imself asks you who you work for, you tell him you don't know, understand? Everyone who hires a mercenary has somethin' to protect, and the more people know their business the harder that protection becomes. Never trust anyone. Never tell them you're on a job. You're putting your neck," he emphasized this last part by pressing the dagger harder against his flesh "and your employers, at risk. Understood?"

"Now," Atheron disengaged from his pupil and took a step backwards, but his weapon remained drawn and the hard look remained in his eyes. "Think hard. Is there anyone else you trusted enough to mention this job to?"
Paegan Shepherd

Paegan rubbed his neck, his eyes wide with fear. The sudden change of face had more than surprised him in many ways and for a moment Paegan just stood.

Jolted out of his daze Paegan responded slowly, shaking his had as he spoke, "No...no I don't think so..."
Azric

Post by Azric »

Atheron's eyes narrowed and his voice came as an enraged whisper. "You don't think so?"
Paegan Shepherd

Paegan took a step back, his hands up in an unapposing gesture and his eyes once open wide, "No...no I didn't. Not a soul." he spoke, enunciating each word, as though Atheron was a beast only a hairline trigger away from attacking.
Azric

Post by Azric »

"That's better," Atheron replied, relaxing visibly. The menace was gone from his voice, though his expression still registered a lingering dissaproval. "I'm sorry to frighten you, lad, but no one ever forgets that demonstration. Best you learn now; everyone who hires you has somethin' t'protect. The more people you tell about your work, the harder that protection becomes. I can't count how many young fools I've known to have had their throats slit over loose lips."

Just then the curtains parted behind Paegan and a slim young woman stepped shyly into the training area. She had large blue eyes and golden curls that tumbled loosely over her ears and down her neck. As soon as Atheron noticed her his expression exploded into embarrassed bliss. "Okay, lad. That's enough for one day," he ushered Paegan to the exit, nodding at the young woman as they passed. "Good luck, boy. Come back any time for another lesson."

Kress was waiting for the young mercenary on the other side of the curtain. "How'd it go?" he asked, amiably. "Any questions before you get started?"
Paegan Shepherd

Paegan slouched, breathing a sigh of relief as he left the small arena, his mind still buzzing with the sudden threats. Taking a quick glance to the woman as she passed.

Paegan quickly heading passed the curtains and made a cry of surprise when he almost ran into Kress on the other side. Noticeably shaken he began to ramble, "Questions? NO! I mean no, no why questions is there to be asked? That is, I mean...no." he stopped, taking a pause to breath and collect his thoughts, "Actually yes, one question. Where should I meet for tomorrow?" he added thoughtfully, "Just to be sure where to go, and such."
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Yea, o'course," Kress replied. If he had heard anything of what went on behind the curtain he gave no indication of it to Paegan. "You'll meet yer clients at their estate tomorrah mornin'. The guild'll be out in force so I'll tell Hengar and Deriondar t'expect ye," he proceeded to give Paegan prcise directions to the Asternan estate.

"And don' sweat it, lad," Kress concluded his speech with a hearty slap on ther young man's back. "T'aint a man yet who chose this career unwisely and lived t'regret it."

Kress erupted in wheezing laughter that soon descended into a fit of phlegmatic coughing.

OOC: And with no further ado, you are on your way! :) You can post to the Asternan estate thread as soon as you're ready. If there's anything else you want to take care of in Roque we can do that too; though perhaps we'll run the threads simultaneously so as to get you into the game a bit.

I will post skill updates within a day or two.
Last edited by Azric on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azric

Post by Azric »

OOC:

Skill Advances for Paegan Shephard

Swords, short + **
Smaller Blades + *
Two Weapon Fighting + *

Deduct 1 Crown for Mercenary Guild Membership

These updates have been referred to the Site Admins and will be reflected in your charactersheet ASAP. :)

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”