Rylas & Tayknot: The thief within

Moderator: Mods

BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman sighed. "Very well, it still counts. And your bet is interesting, your on. "

The three lined up to throw, and yet again the daggers flew. Tayknot's dagger struck just outside the marker, unfortunately. Will's dagger was just inside the marker. The woman's dagger struck her last dagger, but both stayed in the wood.

The woman shrugs. "Well, seems you broke even. Now how to decide between me and Will? "
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

OOC: this might seem a bit long.. sorry, had that urge for an attempt at some meatier play :)

Tayknot laughed and made a short, odd gesture as if he was about to start dancing. The halfling took out his pipe, and pulled out a small ball of tobacco. He started stuffing it into the bowl, as he spoke to the female, not taking his eyes off her face.

"Well, looks like I'm out... It's only fair that me coins stay where they are.. I say throw for whoever gets closest to the door handle. With all those blades in already it'll be a trick in itself... and winner takes all."

"If you win, I'll throw in another two lance. If you lose, you'll have to spend the rest of the day in my company", he stated decisively but courtly, "..I'll give you three banner as a runner-up prize, for this has been truly a worthy bet", he puffed on his pipe and grinned, glancing at Will, then back at the woman, "what do you say?".

He knew the woman, if she agreed, would do her best to win and avoid the halfling's idea of a second prize, but that only made it more fun.

He casually positioned himself back to the wind, facing the woman so that his smoke would head in her direction. He waited for them to get ready, and just a flicker before he signaled the 'go', Tayknot blew a rather dense cloud of pipe smoke her way, seemingly indeliberately.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman chuckled. This was not the first time she had seen a bet like this. She never lost, so she didn't think much about it when she accepted.

Just as Tayknot signaled the 'go', something stung her eyes, and her dagger missed the mark by a fair margin. Whirling around, the woman glared at Tay and his glowing pipe. "You did that on perpose. Bastard! "

Will, on the other hand, was laughing so hard, he nearly fell, rather then sat, on a nearby crate. Whiping tears from his eyes from the laughter, Will half saluted Tayknot for his cunning.

Post by Guest »

Though Rylas had little to no respect for Tayknot - or anyone else present for that matter - even he smiled and nodded in acknowledgement of his cunning. It was obvious that he knew his way around more than one kind of thievery.

It still remained to be seen whether the woman would persist at the conflict. On impulse, Rylas stepped forward with a clap. "An excellent exhibition. Splendid examples of marksmanship from all three. But, shall we call this game and settle up before anyone is driven to sling at a target other than the door?"

Rylas faced the woman with a nod. "Should you feel slighted, I would be obliged to purchase you a bottle of whatever beverage may suit your taste when we return to port, or a similar token should that fall short of your fancy. Consider it a...consolation, for having to waste the remainder of your day," he said with a sidelong glance and a smirk at Tayknot.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

The halfling couldn't help but smile a bit, when he saw Will's reaction. The woman's outrage was expected. He answered quietly, "if only I had a banner for every time I heard that".

Tayknot made a stupid face and mocked Rylas' flattering tone, mouthing his words, behind the woman's back. He had at least half a dozen replies ready, but decided to stay at that, even though Rylas' comments had angered him.

He turned to the enraged woman and talked to her calmly, "don't be angry.. I'm sure you would've won in a fair contest.. but life's not made to be fair, is it?.. we all know that, too well", he smiled genuinely and slightly touched the inside of her wrist. "Come, let us talk", he finished, moving to walk away, expecting her to follow.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman chuckled a cool laugh. "A waste indeed. I just might take you up on your offer, but I'd hate to waste two days so close together. "

The woman pulled her arm back from Tayknot, but followed him none the less. She was not looking forward to the rest of the day.

Will had started to count the coins he had won. Not a bad prize. He favored the money with a half grin, then smirked. Tay and the woman were out of earshot by now. Turning to Rylas, Will commented, "I prefer a prize that doesn't talk back. "

Post by Guest »

Rylas nodded. "All Tayknot has won is a day of bickering and humiliation, it would seem." Rylas did an about face, then raised his eyebrow. "Unless it should go well...in which case, he may have won himself a lifetime of bickering and humiliation."

"At any rate, I believe discussion earlier was reaching a progression, was it not? I have decided...I agree to the terms. Training for a trinket."
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will laughs so hard he almost falls off the barrel he had taken a seat on only moments before. His arms flail wildly briefly, but he catchs his balence long before actually falling.

Will shrugs away his near fall. At Rylas' exceptance of the deal, he smiles. "Excelent, I was hoping you would agree. There is a jeweled dagger of particular interest inside the chest. Bring that to me, and I will give you even more training. "

Post by Guest »

Rylas nodded. "Done. Though it is against my better judgement, I'll do it."

Rylas stepped toward him, possibly as a measure against eavesdropping. "You show me a thing or two, then point me in the direction of this dagger. I'll fetch it, then we'll finish up." Rylas glanced to either side. "Where shall we begin?"
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will grins, then fishs in a nearby sack, and tosses a small padlock and lockpick to Rylas. "Lets see what you got, first off. Lets see what you can do with this. "
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot mustered up all his patience, knowing that this would be a tough encounter. However, the halfling decided that he would not be shoo-ed away too easily. After all, a bet was a bet.

He took another puff of his pipe and asked plainly, "I'm Tayknot, what's your name?".

Post by Guest »

Rylas turned the padlock over in his hand. It seemed simple enough, and reminded him of the locks the merchants around his father's old store used on some of their chests and cabinets. One he remembered in particular kept some money underneath the front counter in a little chest.

The memory brought a smirk to his face. Tedrin knew exactly what he was doing when he showed me how to defeat that first little latch. The fellow had an eye for trouble.

Rylas wondered absent mindedly what Tedrin would have to say about all this. Not the lockpicking, but everything, the ship, the mission. Tedrin had always said to go into every venture with an eye on yourself, to make sure you didn't misplace yourself. Rylas was beginning to forget why he had come.

This is why I came, he thought to himself, holding the padlock up and giving it and the pick a look. He inserted the pick into the lock, and began to feel it out. Some locks, he could hear Tedrin say, can be real na vanima. Very complicated, with tumblers and grooves. Others, like this one, are almost so simple they seem pointless to have at all. They're just like a little latch. To open the latch to the goody box, you just open the latch on the little box.

Rylas's eyebrows knitted, and his pace with the pick slowed. He became more deliberate, feeling for the smallest sensitivity.

...you just...open the latch...on the...little...box...
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman looked halfways towards him and said simply, "Senna. ".

Will watched intently as Rylas worked. After a couple burns, the lock clicked. Just as Rylas withdrew the pick, the inside of the lock flashed briliantly, causing Rylas to jump.

Will laughed. "I had that lock rigged by one of the gunners, that one with an eye for alternate uses for that black magic powder. It's not meant to hurt anyone..... unless they have a weak heart. Just a little reminder to check for traps. "
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

"Senna", Tayknot repeated quietly. He thought it was a nice name, but decided against saying so.

"I see you don't like being tricked", he said plainly but accented it with a pleasant smile. "I assume it's not often you're fooled, so the merrier for me", the halfling chuckled.

"Is it long you've been in the Than's service?".

Post by Guest »

Rylas huffed and tossed the lock back to Will. "Point taken. I'll be sure to check." Especially when I'm operating on the captain's blamed chest...

"Well, what's next?"
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Senna sighs. "My parents left me at the guild when I was a child. The guild would have tossed me out on the street, but one of the thieves, getting on in years and thinking of his legasy, and having none, took me as his own and raised me in the ways of the guild. He's long since passed on to another world. Every time I suceed, I see him smile, but when I fail..... " Her voice trailed off, as though following an invisable tear.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

"He was not a forgiving mentor..?", Tayknot queried, hoping Senna would reveal more.

He proposed that they seat themselves in some possibly comfortable place. If she did not continue, he would ask, "did you ever think of leaving all this? I mean moving away from the city, leading the quiet life.. or setting up your own business maybe?", he asked, smiling at the rather peculiar notion.

Return to “On the Water Archive”