Passageway to Taloh Tel'Amrun (Entrance Gates)-Samheen 5, 7

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Nicadem

Post by Nicadem »

Nicadem squatted as he waited for the guard to inquire about his reasons for coming here. He rose as the guard approached.

"Quel'amrun, traveller, what brings you to our fair city?" The guard asked.

"I come from Kislovan. I am here in search of adventure and honor. I come to seek admission to join the Emerald Guard. Can you aid me search?" Nicadem fidget under the scrutiny of the guards eyes. He tried his best to be well represented and be firm.

The thought of joining the Emerald Guard came apon him on his way to this enchanting city. To be the elite of the elite, and have the enormous responsibility of protecting the Royal Family. Nicadem was ecstatic about learning the ways of combat and all the skills involved in becoming an Emerald Guard.

Ever since he left his home of Kislovan, Nicadem has always looked for challenges for himself, be it if he can jump across the lake, or disarm the man in a knife fight. He hated not being able to do something. He didn't get outraged at the fact, it just nit-picked at him, until it drove him to accomplish it. He would show his father what he could do, by and by. But first, a lodging and some income would be greatly appreciated.

He silently awaited admission, or to be turned away.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The guardsman visibly relaxed but did not take his hand away from the hilt of his sword when he heard Nicadem's reply. Smiling, he replied: "So you want to join our ranks then, young traveller? you know of the training?"
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Nicadem

Post by Nicadem »

Nicadem startled at the change of topic, but composed himself.

"I hear much of the Emerald Guard. Best of the best. That intrigues me. I know not the technicalities of the training, except that it is rigorous and difficult. I have taken it upon myself to join their ranks. To test myself, and to help in any way that I can." Nicadem replied to the inquiry of the guard.

"I suspect I will do my best, and submit to the outcome of the unforetold events, if I am even given the chance."

Nicadem cocked his head to the side, impatient on wanting to enter the city.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Guardsman smiled: "Our basic training takes 20 yahren, young traveller. Under normal circumstances I would wish you the best of luck but I can not do so now."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Nicadem

Post by Nicadem »

"....Under normal circumstances I would wish you the best of luck but I can not do so now."

The words stunned Nicadem, for the reasoning was not known

"What do you mean, you cannot now?" He inquired. His brow furrowed, as the thought of his dream being ripped away when he had come so far, and gotten so close. Anger began to well up inside.
Palthian D'Enthier

Palthian Entrance

Post by Palthian D'Enthier »

Palthian D’Enthier stood about five hundred paces away from the gates of Taloh Tel’Amrun a quarter mark before sunrise, lost in thought. Even though it was still fairly dark, he could still make them out, because of their grandiosity and splendor. How I’ve missed this city, he thought to himself.

For a long time after his parents had decided that it was time to move out of the capital city, and especially after they had done so, bringing him along, he had missed it terribly. He loved the beauty that the elves had made and so harmoniously combined with the natural beauty of this ancient forest, and he loved the people. He liked living in a place with so many people, because you could do anything you could think of. You could get anything that was able to be gotten in the city.

After several yahren, the dull ache receded, and he eventually forgot about it. Now, a full 35 yahren later, all the memories and sadness at having had to part came rushing back. He was overcome with it, and so he sat watching the gates, lost in memories.

Eventually, the sun budged over the horizon, and the splendor and beauty of the gates was increased twofold by the pink-tinged sunlight which bathed them. Palthian had always loved sunrises and sunsets, but especially those in Taloh Tel’Amrun.

Finally, after a long lost in wonder and nostalgia, Palthian decided that it was time. He began walking towards the gates, and slowly walked towards the guard, intent on entering the city that he grew up in.
Last edited by Palthian D'Enthier on Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Guardsmen sighed: "Don't you know? We don't accept new trainees at the moment. We don't have to manpower to train them. Most of our forces are out in the field fighting the Orcs," fire gleamed in his eyes, "Soon, they will be defeated and then. Then the Emerald Guard will be accepting new trainees again."

<b><center>Timestamp: Samheen 7th, sunrise</b></center>

All was silent except for the song of the birds that erupted when the first rays of the sun touched the treetops. One single Guardsman dressed in a greenhued plate stood outside the gates, waiting. When Palthean came closer he put a hand on the hilt of his blade: "Who goes there at this early hour?"
Nicadem

Post by Nicadem »

Nicadem frowns. "I see." Nicadem sighs as his dream slowly slips away. "Well, thank you for your help. I guess I shall either stay in town, and walk the roads of this fine city, or move on and come back at a later date to try my luck again."

Nicadem looks to see if the guard well finally let him through, into Taloh Tel'Amrun. In the distance, drips of water can be heard hitting the ground. The peacfulness calmed Nicadem for a bit, but not too much.

Remembering his thoughts of his fame and glory that has been postponed until a later date, as it seems. He could just hear his dad's voice, "Told you so, Nicadem. Its tough out there. Come home."

Nicadem visibly struggled to banish the thought of giving up now. "I will wait here." Nicadem starts to walk to the gates.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The guard grabbed Nicadem by the shoulder: "One moment. I need your name, lad. Without a pass you might have some difficulties."
Nicadem

Post by Nicadem »

Nicadem sighed at the Guards request. There was always another set-back.

"My name is Nicadem Giotto. I hail from Kislovan. Anything else?"

Nicadem waited silently, growing more impatient by the minute. <i>A pass?</i> Nicadem began hearing sounds of the city waft to his ears. He just wanted to get settled in and enjoy his wait. Then the thought struck him.

"Guard, sir. Could it be possible to join the Emerald Guard, and go with them to fight the orcs? I must sound crazy, but I <i>do</i> know one side of the sword from the other. I'm sure they could use my help. Its better than sitting in the city waiting for the end of a battle that I could not help with. What do you think?"

Nicadem sat back and watched, a small ray of hope lighting his face. He bit back a smile. It wasn't over yet.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

OOC
Don't mind me, just your average friendly neighbourhood AGM stepping in to help out :)

IC
Nicadem

The guard raised an eyebrow at the questionable tone of voice Nicadem carried. The sun reflected on his green armour, creating a haze around him that was almost magical, if not sheer impressive.

When he spoke again it was in a carefully measured voice: "No, Nicadem Giotto from Kislovan. Nothing else at this moment." The man scribbled all details down and handed the traveller a pass.

Nicadem's eager question caused yet another raised eyebrow. "Fighting orcs? Yes, you sound quite crazy. But since I am not in any position to evaluate the likelyhood of you getting killed or actually being effective, I would advise you to travel to the palace. I am sure they can help you out further. NEXT!"

Nicadem was allowed entrance with a simple gesture of the hand as the guard focussed his attention on the next traveller seeking entrance.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Palthian D'Enthier

The harsh voice of the gate guard shattered Palthian's reverie. He looked at the guard, with his hand on the hilt of his sword. Things have changed, he thought. Why are they so suspicious?

He decided to tell the truth. There was no reason to hide anything, and it would be better to not lie.

"I am Palthian D'Enthier. I used to live here in Taloh Tel'Amrun, but my family and I moved out thirty five yahren ago. I have just arrived from our village, and I would like to again live in this fair city."

Palthian sat back smiliing at the guard, waiting for his response.
Last edited by Palthian D'Enthier on Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The guard seemed to taste the name in order to remember it. "D'Enthier..this is your family name?" He inquired, the hand slowly relaxing but obviously ready to draw if by chance Palthian would change his peaceful ways.
He nodded at his collegue who started writing the information down. "In that case: welcome home. Any particular reason why you are back?"

One glance at Palthian's belongings elicited an added comment: "That is a fine blade you are wearing. Do you plan to honor it?"
Palthian D'Enthier

Palthian inwardly breathed a sign of relief when he saw that the guard had stopped gripping his sword so tightly.

"Yes, D'Enthier is my family name." I wonder if he's heard of us before, he thought. "My parents decided that it was time I made my way in the world," he said, looking at his feet.

He looked back up at the guard. "But I decided to return to Taloh Tel'Amrun, well, because I never wanted to leave it in the first place. I figured that it would be easier to do what I needed - and wanted - in such a big city. I've always wanted to be a sorcerer, but I do not think that I have enough money yet. I know how to sing a little, but I think that I would need training before I could make any money with it" He scuffed his foot in the dirt.

"I love this sword, but I am not very proficient in swordcraft, and I have not yet fought anything, thank the Gods. I would like to be able to honor it and my father by using it effectively, but I'm afraid that using it now would mean nothing more than embarassing myself." He smiled and wistfully looked at the rapier hanging from his hip.

He straightened himself and looked at the guard. This is going better than I thought it would, he thought.
Last edited by Palthian D'Enthier on Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The guard seemed taken aback by the fortright answers. Then a grin cracked his face. "Smart lad. You might just do well." Then his face went back to neutral. "You had better find a way to earn your money. The city is no place for vagabonds."

With those words -strangely enough spoken rather kindly- Palthian was handed a pass and was ushered through the gates.

"Good luck, young one."

The sun had finally found it's way over the horizon in full and the city was bathing in it's rich morninglight. The awakening town sounded familiar as the path lead Palthian straight back home.

ooc
You are free to enter town and post in another forum here now :) Enjoy!
Palthian D'Enthier

Palthian thanked the guard and started in, but thinking of something, stopped and turned back to the guard.

"Say,... you wouldn't happen to know somewhere that I could go to practice singing do you? I hope to one day be able to sing at Ithil'Opele but I know that I am not yet good enough." He chuckles. "I might never be, but I'll sure try," he finished.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The guard frowned, distracted by yet another newcomer. "You might want to pose your questions at the House of the Moon, young one." He answered. "Now move along!"

Already he was turning towards the next arrival.

Appearantly some things never changed as the House of the Moon had been a tavern here since before the time Palthian left the city.
Last edited by Syrawenn on Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janaou

Post by Janaou »

The sun was high in the sky when Janaou strode down the path leading to the gates of Taloh Tel'Amrun. Behind him, his cloak fluttered in the breeze that hardly made the heat any less threatening. A long yawn escaped his throat and after he wiped the sweat from his brow, Janaou removed his leather gloves, being quick to conceal the small daggers that were nestled inside. Only once in a while did he dare enter the city, and that was usually to get a good meal and cold drink, or any other necesities.

Janaou sprang into a run, despite the heat. From then, it took no time to reach the guards of Taloh Tel'Amrun. He hailed to them. "Aaye!" he shouted to them, slowing to a stop. "How are you today? I seek admitance to the city." He had been through this many times recently, the formality of it all was dying away faster than plants with no water. His dark brown eyes focused on the guards, awaiting their answer.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Janaou
Samheen 10th, Morningtide

The two green clad guards eyed the young Half Elf. The one mumbled something under his breath while the other answered the hail: "In a hurry today, aren't we? Not too much to see to the formalities I hope...name and reason for entering?"

Janaou could feel the eyes of the mumbling guard scrutinizing him while the other waited for his answer. The faces were not familiar to him, which was no surprise seeing the amount of people taking service as a guard.
Last edited by Syrawenn on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Janaou

Post by Janaou »

At the guards words, Janaou stopped himself from trotting on past them, and into the city. Hmm.. They must be new... he thought to himself. He cleared his throat and spoke clearly.

"My name is Janaou and I seek admittance to the city for food and necessities." he said simply. A friendly grin came over his face, in some vain attempt to show his harmlessness.

Janaou grew more and more impatient to get into the city. He could see sights of people bustling around, and the idea of a warm bed and a cold ale nagged at the back of his mind.
Last edited by Janaou on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The guard eyed the somewhat impatient fellow in front of him, then turned to his companion. "Necessities.." he mumbled, then turned back to face Janaou.

"Pray tell, what would be the nature of your necessities?"

The other man on duty had already gotten out a pass and was getting ready to write everything down, waiting for a particular answer it seemed.
Things had definitively changed since last time. Not that these guardsmen were unfriendly, but the absolute formality with which they approached the situation showed a determination not to let habit be the cause of negligence.
Janaou

Post by Janaou »

Janaou's jaw almost dropped at the questioning. He almost wanted to say "What's it your business?" but he held his tongue.

"Well, if you must know," he said adding a smile,"I am out of rations for my campsite, out yonder." Janaou pointed off in a direction opposite to them. He dropped his finger quickly and continued. "Besides, I enjoy the occasional tavern stay. It calms my nerves." His eyes twitched at the end, for effect.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Now the greenclad man really looked on guard. He took the youthful appearance in from head to toe afore asking: "And I assume you have the money to pay your way? We would not want any...misunderstandings."

He raised an eyebrow. Amazing how some people got away with that one little gesture to convey whole stories. It was so obvious the guard was on the lookout for any vagabonds.

The other still held the pass in his hand, waiting to see what turn the conversation would take before noting anything down.

Meanwhile the sun was climbing and slowly the day grew warmer. More people were lining up behind Janaou and he could hear their mumbles about 'unnecessary delays' quite clearly as they seemed to be blaming him rather than the guards.
Janaou

Post by Janaou »

As the guards straightened up, Janaou tensed. "And I assume you have the money to pay your way? We would not want any... misunderstandings." one said.

Janaou's hand fell to his side, where it found its way into his pocket. Inside were two options. He could feel his store of money, as well as two daggers still hot with perspiration. He fingered the two options while he thought.

Looking behind him, Janaou noticed a few elves beginning to line up. Some were mumbling about him. Shooting a few angry looks at some, they seemed to keep their mumbling down to where he couldn't hear, or they stopped entirely. Contently, he turned around and approached the guards.

Janaou slowly removed his hand from his pocket as he grew closer and closer to the Emerald Guard. Just as he came face to face with one, his hand came to eye level with the two. He opened it slowly, revealing coins.

"There you go." Janaou said quietly. With that, Janaou turned on his heels, and started towards the city. All the while, he doubted his decision of the coins over the daggers.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Hold it right there..."

A heavy hand rested on his shoulder, nothing threatening just yet, but strong enough to make things difficult for Janaou would he decide to make a problem out of it.

"You should know nobody enters the city without a pass or you will find yourself in trouble real soon."

Janaou heard the other guard write something down, then was handed the pass.

"Here, impatient one. One day you will fondly remember the fact that some guards actually check people before they enter the city. Who knows what kind of rif raf you would find in town otherwise..."

The hand was withdrawn, the gates open. Janaou was allowed into the green city once more.

Return to “T'aquar Archive”