The Goose and Gander

Moderator: Mods

Selune

The Goose and Gander

Post by Selune »

Selune could hear the noise of the patrons from outside the door. She almost wished she hadn't chosen peak dinner hours, as the inn was sure to be packed. But she figured this would be the best time to meet Mordelo here, when the food was good and the wine was freely flowing. She pushed open the doors and walked in, scanning the crowd for the unforgettable herbalist.

Post by Guest »

The Goose and Gander is a clean and quaint tavern which sits on the north side of town. The Gander seems to attract a more highborn clientele. Visiting nobility, well-to-do merchants, and other respectable people take their lodgings here when they are guesting in Roque. It is a peaceful place, well patrolled by guards. The rooms each contain a lockable chest, a table and two chairs, a comfortable bed, and a solid, locking door.

The Inn's large common room is cheerful and usually smells of food and lye soap. The darker wood tones of its original décor can still be seen in the long oaken bar and round tables, but the walls are now covered by dark red tapestries embroidered in gold thread. Servers thread there way past the tables as they bring customers their orders. To the back is a large bath area and steam room where travelers can wash and steam the dirt of the road from their tired bodies. A small stage is tucked into the corner for entertainers, the bar and its tender lie directly opposite the doorway. A staircase leading to the rooms upstairs sits next to the doorway. Its mahogany banister has been painted white and gold cording threads around it in a spiral.

Selune didn't have to walk far before she noticed Gallic. He sat just where he said, munching away at a plate of food which was now unrecognizeable. "Ah, hello there! Welcome, come sit," he said over the din of the crowd, gesturing to a chair across from him. "Oh, server, please?"

A young lady bustled over, looking a little annoyed by Gallic's call. "Get you something?" she said to Selune, offering a little smile.
Selune

Post by Selune »

Selune smiled at the server, figuring she was rather harried with so many customers. "I was wondering if your special today is either spicy or sour. If it's neither, please bring me some. Also, I'd like a mug of cold ale. Thank you."

She turned to Gallic. "I'm sorry if I kept you waiting. Have you been here long?"

Post by Guest »

"Right then," said the server. "One cold ale and a plate of pike in Galentyne. Be right out."

Gallic smiled to himself at Selune's question. "Oh, I'm always here long. Dinner is not a meal to be taken quickly, no no. And they surely know how it's done here." Judging by the fact that he ate in a quick, sloppy manner, Selune could deduce that by a "slow" dinner, Gallic must have meant a meal of many courses.

He finally seemed to be slowing his consumption however, and he eased back into his seat, drinking leisurely of his glass and picking the occaisional odd or end off one of his plates. "Well then," he said with a pleased grunt. "Tell me about yourself then. For starters, I can't remember if you've told me your name or not. And however did you arrive here?"

As Gallic asked his questions, the server returned with Selune's ale, and informed her that her food would be only burns longer.
Selune

Post by Selune »

She chuckled to herself. Gallic certainly did seem to like his food, though she supposed everyone was entitled to a vice. After all, the world stopped for her cats.

She replied to Gallic's question, "Well, my name is Selune, and I walked to Roque from my village, which is about 3 days walk southwest of the gates. I'm currently staying at the Dog's Home, which, to be honest, looks a lot like this one." She sipped her ale, enjoying the coolness of the beverage, and nodded her thanks at the server.

She asked questions of her own of Gallic, not wanting to talk about herself too much. "I must ask, though . . . how did you learn all you know about herbs? And what made you decide you wanted to be a herbalist?"

Post by Guest »

"Oh, how pleasant!" Gallic exclaimed. "A little village. Say, don't tell me that your village and this city are the only places you've been?"

The server soon brought out Selune's food. At first glance, the only recognizable product on the plate was a good sized fish filet, though it all looked pretty delicious.

"Me? Oh, well, I suppose my mother and grandfather taught me everything. It was a family business, you see. It seemed only natural that I would learn and continue on."

Gallic sighed and looked down at the table. "But, it isn't going so well right now. You see, I moved from our hometown, trying to start my own shop somewhere. This is the second city I've been to trying to get on my feet, as it were."
Selune

Post by Selune »

Selune laughed. "Oh, dear. Does being a ranger and hunter in the forests surrounding the village count?" She thanked the server and tried out the fish, as it smelled extremely scrumptious.

She chewed and swallowed before asking, "What happened in the first city?"

Post by Guest »

"The first? Oh, t'was too small! Imagine!" he exclaimed, getting the attention of a few prissy diners nearby. "Why, they knew how to do most everything already, and everything I sold that they needed, they could just walk out in the forest and snatch up themselves." Gallic finished his drink, dribbling just a little and wiping at it with his napkin. "Stupid mistake on my part, really. Should've scouted a little more before I set up shop. But it was a stop along a pretty prominent merchant caravan. Thought I could benefit from some of the business they attracted."

Gallic leaned back in his seat, which creaked a little in protest. "Now, this city's different. Good size, lots of people, and none of them really seem adept at anything, I'd say," he said with a giggle.

"You hunted, you say? Guess that makes you pretty handy with a bow, then?..."
Selune

Post by Selune »

She blushed a little. "Actually, I wasn't all that good. We didn't starve, but I couldn't say I was amazing at it. I could probably do okay in target practice, but shooting moving targets is still a lot harder than it sounds."

She chewed some more on her fish, enjoying it immensely. The cook here was certainly first-rate! She washed it down with some of her ale.

She decided there was probably no harm in being just a little presumptuous. "So, Gallic . . . how long do you think it would take me to prove to you I could do this job?"

Post by Guest »

"Bah, I must confess," he said immediately. "You don't have anything to prove. Making pots and such isn't really something you can fail too badly at." He leaned forward and rested an elbow on the edge of the table. "To be honest, I was just bored out of my mind, and I didn't feel like eating here alone.

"Heh, but I certainly know what you mean about marksmanship. My uncle tried to teach me, but I was miserable at it myself. Couldn't hit a sleeping dragon in the ass, no sir.

"Say, where are you going to stay at? Looking for a house? I expect an inn would get expensive after very long."
Selune

Post by Selune »

She laughed at Gallic's colorful similes. First time she had heard that one! However, the thought of housing sobered her up a little.

"I'm currently staying at the Dog's Home, but you're right, it's going to get expensive after a little while." She thought a moment.

"You wouldn't happen to have some little nook in the attic of the shop, would you?"

Post by Guest »

Gallic frowned. "Well, there isn't really an attic in the building." He scratched the top of his head. "Well, if you want to save some banners, and you don't mind a spot of camping, I have the covered wagon I brought most of my herbs here with behind the shop. You can sleep in it if you like, while you're waiting for more permanent arrangements."
Selune

Post by Selune »

She smiled. "That sounds alright . . . as long as it's clean, anyway. I don't suppose you know of some wagon maker in town or something like that, so I could get my own. I hate to be a bother."

She wondered if she might be able to set up a caravan of sorts behind his shop. After all, it sounded like a quaint way to live.

Post by Guest »

"Wagon maker? Heh, no, I don't know where you'd go to find one. Mine was provided to me by my uncle. But don't you worry about being a bother, I haven't even touched the thing since I got here. Sold the horses that pulled it for extra money." Gallic got a disappointed look on his face. "Mm, too bad, too. I liked those old hags."

He shook his head. "Anyway, you should still look into some permanent residence." He smiled. "And perhaps if you work well, and things go for an upturn in the store, I could give you an advance to cover getting the place."
Selune

Post by Selune »

Selune thought over it a little, and decided that perhaps she should take Gallic's advice. Much as living in a caravan might sound romantic, she was sure she would be a lot more comfortable living somewhere more . . . conventional.

"I would be greatly indebted to you if that happened, Master Mordelo," she said with a smile. It was time to settle down. "You'll find me a good worker, truly."

[OOC: So, can we start and get to work soon? :) *impatiently bouncing*]
Last edited by Selune on Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”