University of Magic - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Nicko

Post by Nicko »

OOC: Hey Quelthron

sorry for my (very) late reply. But I was waiting for a mod to show up and help us, but I seem to have forgotten it completely. Sorry for that again. I just noticed the story with Dugar and saskia this morning, so that could give you an idea for how long I was gone.

Well, this is to answer your question.

'The synch event' is very easy actually. It keeps the players eachother at the same time. One thread is running slower than the other, thats where they apply the synch event. Everyone must be at the given time and date at the synch event. Since a thread with about 6 people excluding mod is slower than a thread with one person and a mod (they don't have to reply at every post), it's kind of necessary for mods ánd players to have the synch event. Players could never have a conversation IC when one player is twenty yaren in further than the other player if you know what I mean.

If I'm not correct, I hope a mod will adjust my words.

Saskia. since your replied to Dugar, I know you are all very busy, but could you mod us please? Or someone else? Thanks
E`laith Mithan`aranoun

Post by E`laith Mithan`aranoun »

E`laith emerged before the gate with a panoramic expressioned etched across his pallid ashen visage. Wonder and excitement compounded into a formula for anticipation when the elf took in the marvels of such ingenuis architecture. The University of Magick was everything the fables foretold. He smiled willfully, nearly drunk with the rush of dreams untold. He smoothed the fancy doublet worn, and flushed a brilliant billowing azure robe out before his fleet steps carried him toward the gate, and toward the folds of a new prosperity. Despite love and loyalty to the elves E`laith never dismissed a chance to examine another culture or land. He couldn't bring himself to compare the arcanic schools of Tel`Aranae Quessir with Citadel, and though there were distinct differences even the coarsest dwarven miner would catch their breath when looking upon the Seventeen Spires.

With a slow, stately cadence in his step he edged forward. His eyes searched out the necessary command post. Perhaps, like the other gates, he might have to explain his purpose to some official. Otherwise, the elf simply thought to keep going ahead, and make a point to search for the Mage General. Beads of sweat formed in his palms. Eagerness wasn't a word that could encompass all necessary description. E`laith wanted so many things to happen, and even with the lifespan of an elf there was never enough time. To travel, to cast, scribe, dance, exault ancient powers, rise to new heights, bear the burden of unearthing new lore - all in due time.

With the lessons of his brother still fresh in his mind he reminded himself that, "it is nature whom chooses elf, not elf whom chooses nature. Go with grace and compassion, balance yourself with severity." The fond words of his brother L'lorinal. How he missed the proud elf. How he longed to see what the University of Magick would bring him by way of a future.
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

OOC:

hey Quelthron

I just wanna check you still there?
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC: I'm sorry guys, completely forgot to watch the gates !! :oops:

IC:
Finally the clerk showed up. He slowly walked up to the desk, slowly sat down and carefully (but slowly) arranged the stack of papers in front of him.
Then he sighed: "OK, so you want to be a mage ? Tell me your name and where you come from, but slowly, because I have to write everything down"
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

[size=84]Bruce Springsteen[/size]

[size=75]http://www.dreslough.com[/size]
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

OOC:

hey Saskia, I'm glad your back!

Since I'm the only active player for now, I think it would be the best if you replied to my posts first. The only problem is Quelthron, I don't know where he is. But I think he wouldn't mind if Nicko leaves the conversation. If thats ok with you, it would be fine.

thanks,

Nick
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC:
Nicko, I don't know where Quelthron is, So let's just presume he walked away ???
Where do you want me to pick up this thread ??
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

Nicko

Post by Nicko »

OOC: I don't know what he is doing either, but it would always be a good thing if he stops by this thread and says what's wrong.

For me, it would be the best if the man just says where I have to go or something like that.

agree?

Nick
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

saskia, you there...?
Talthorin Maveshnaa

Post by Talthorin Maveshnaa »

((OOC: Before I try an apply, will you be accepting new students since all schools of magic have been combined?))
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: Nicko, Talthorin, E'laith, sorry for the wait. It seems that this thread got overlooked again. I'll pick this thread up until things settle down again. Nicko since you have been waiting for soo long I have granted you acces to the UoM forum, go to the Office of the Battle-General thread and assume the clerk sent you there with a sealed enveloppe. Talthorin, yes we're still accepting new students.

IC:
The man behind the desk looked up from the scattered notes on his desk as E'laith carried himself in: "Vedui'nildo, can I be of assistance?"

OOC: <i>Vedui'nildo</i> Greetings, friend
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

OOC: Thanks so much for replying Koen. I was happy to receive the email about the UofM for if you hadn't sent it, I would never look at this thread again.

But I'm happy I'm able to continue the story for now, so thanks again!

Nick
Halduril

New beginning

Post by Halduril »

<b>Timestamp: Samheen 14th</b>

Halduril was happy, if somewhat nervous, when he finally walked through the University gate. This building was, after all, the true reason why his mother had sent him to Citadel.

The elf felt he was finally ready for the hard studies and training which, without doubt, waited for all those who chose the path of magic.

He was as ready as he could get.

He had survived a deadly journey through the sewers of the Citadel. He had survived the hellish hounds of a mad alchemist, and the encounter with the alchemist himself.

He had found strength and will to make some – in his mind – considerable sacrifices. He had succeeded in destroying a magical, bloodthirsty Wicker Needle, which had first helped him and then gotten him into serious trouble. It still made him shiver every time he thought of it, and all those things he could have achieved with the aid of such powerful item.

But all that was past now. New exciting thing were waiting for him right here, in this magnificent building.

He paused for a moment as he entered the Hall of Ages.

<i>This truly is a magnificent place.</i>

He noticed the reception desk and the man behind it.

“Good day to you, Sir. It is my humble wish to become student of the University. Can you help me, please?”
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The old clerk looked up from a staple of papers in front of him and smiled: "Good day to you, cousin!"

The man opened one of the drawers in his desk and took out a empty sheet of parchment and looked at Halduril, as if waiting for something: "Well?"
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Halduril

Post by Halduril »

Halduril looked around, puzzled. He summoned a pleasant smile to his face, though he was slightly confused about what he should do or ask.

“Erm…the University. I would like to start studies of the Arcane…this is the right place right? Please forgive me, I don’t know the correct procedure… I’m not local people - I’m from Kislovan. Uh… How does one become a student of the university? Is there a formal application to be done?”
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC: Taking over for a while...

IC:
The clerk grinned "Oh, there is a formal application, that's for sure ! You will have to see the Battle-General, and tell him exactlywhy you want to become a mage. He decides whther you will be admitted or not.
But if you fill out these forms, I will take you to him"

The clerk shved a pile of Papers towards the young mage and asked him to fill in his name, place of birht, name of parents etc. etc. etc.

Halduril

Post by Halduril »

The elf stared the pile of paper in front of him in disbelief. All that detail…for what? In addition, even after that this Battle General will decide if I’m worthy. The elf's eyes went from the papers to the clerk and back. Why do I want to be a mage? But I don’t know if I want to! I don’t! Suddenly Halduril felt strongly that applying to the University would be a big mistake. He had thought earlier he was finally ready to take the challenge, yet now he felt this wasn’t what he wanted at all.

Without warning the tall elf turned on his heels and stormed out of the UoM…

(OOC: and thus Halduril shall seek his fortune and possible private mentor elsewhere. Thanks for helping me finish this off, Sosa. Appreciated.)
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC: NP ! but......it aint over 'till its over !!

IC:
The clerk stared after the running Halduril, his face a mask of surprise, his mouth open.
He had seen some strange things during his years as University clerk, but nothing like this.
He scrathed his head, and tore up the papers.

then he shoved his chair back and reached for a little piece of paper, which he put on top of the desk.

Having a break, be right back

It said.
Then he wandered off, he needed a cup of strong, hot coffee. Now, right now.

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

<b><center>Timestamp: 15th of Samheen, late evening</center></b>

A figure walked through the gates of the University, looking small in comparison to the grand arch of stone that formed the entrance gate.

With his new staff firmly in his right hand, and the letter of recommendation clutched in the other Elvin entered the hall trying hard not to be look utterly astonished by the sights in which he utterly failed.

<i>So many things...</i> he thought while stopping and observing a painting, <i>"I wonder what it means... So many things to learn!"</i> He began to get excited. His first impression of the University had been a good one. Already his senses were being bombarded by all sorts of new things. How he loved learning and seeing new things!

"But to who do I direct myself," the Elf mumbled out loud in his native tongue while looking around, searching for someone who could direct him to the right person to show this letter to.
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enter and be Welcome

Post by Guest »

Just ahead, there was a desk. Behind it sat a somewhat older man, still strong of form and visage but visibly graying with the years. He wore the formal blue suit of a University porter. Somewhere, somehow, he seemed a little edgy, but that sort of went with the job if you were a doorman at the Seven Isles' most popular university for all things magickal. A small sign on the desk read "reception" in Common and a very general Evish dialect, and besides it, there was a large mug of steaming black coffee.

While Elvin was looking around, gazing at the needless splendour of the Entrance Hall, the porter was gazing at Elvin with just as much wonder as the elf himself exhibited. After all, just now there had been the elf thing; word on the street (and, well, also within the University walls and practically everywhere else in the Citadel) was that all the elves had just disappeared. Not got up and left, not flown out, but simply disappeared. One moment they were there, the next they were only an interesting and colourful memory.
All elves - except this one. Acknowledging this fact but having no clue as to what it meant, the porter directed himself towards Elvin, speaking in a thick elven accent.
"Excuse me, sir," he said, struggling with the words. "May I be of beaver pelt?"

Although he had probably meant 'service'. The words did sort of look the same, after all.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Elf arched a brow when the porter approached him. <i>"Beaver pelt?"</i> the Elf thought confused, <i>"Oh...he probably means help."</i>

Answering in his own language the Elf nodded: "Yes, good sir, you might. I have here with me a letter of recommendation addressed to sir named Fiztwis?" He held up the letter for the man to see: "Perhaps you can assist me with finding this sir whose name I've probably used completely wrong. You see, I can not read the Human language and unfortunately this letter is in that language."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speech! by Porter

Post by Guest »

The porter strained to hear and understand Elvin. When the elf had finished talking, he took the letter from him and carefully read it over.
"Oh!" he exclaimed then, with some visible relief. "You mean master Fickwick! Daemonic Warding's your faculty, then. But, ah, master Fickwick isn't available right now... he's gone into the Libraris Excelsior and left word not to be disturbed."

The porter handed the letter back to Elvin. "I think the boys over at Research faculty are handling most of the problem now, though. Tell ye what, I've heard that they're putting something underway there, led by master Tanner. There's a meeting for it at the Pensworth lecture hall, start 'o noon tomorrow. You might try your luck there. In the meanwhile, here's a key for one of the guest lodgings. Since ye got a letter of recommendation, I guess ye can use one of those rooms. They're in the left hallway, then third gateway to the left. Oh, and Pensworth is in the Auburn tower, second floor. There are signs."

That said and done, the porter looked at Elvin to see whether there were any questions.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Elf nodded gratefully: "Thank you for your help, sir. I think I'll stay here a while. This place is..." he paused to search for the word, "interesting, yes."

<i>"Libraris Eckselsioor?"</i> the Elf thought confused while searching his way to the guest rooms, <i>"What is that?"</i>

Post by Guest »

OOC: This thread is now closed. The entrace thread for the University of Magick can be found in the University forum. Cheers!

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”