A New Face in Town (Samheen 24th, TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

A New Face in Town (Samheen 24th, TT)

Post by Grant »

More properly called the Office of the Chamber, or the Lord Chamberlain's office, the Major Domos operated here, high above the courtyard below and well within the staggering fortress that was, by rights, his home and his responsibility. While the Major Domos had very little power in the affairs of the Empire in general, within the walls of the actual Citadel, his power was absolute, and his position answerable only to the Ceasar himself.

Flanked on either side my numerous smaller apartments, offices, and meeting rooms, the Mojor Domos' office was the heart of the Chamber, the institution charged with running the Citadel's day-to-day operations. He or his representatives administered lodging, managed expenses, commanded defense, and controlled access to the Ceasar and the Ceasar's family, giving him enormous additional power in local government.

The room itself featured smooth, polished floors, covered with a patterned carpet of old, mottled wool. Casements filled the back wall of the office, casements that held countless books, scrolls, and curios of a well-travelled man, as well as gifts sent by foreign dignitaries or powers, possibly to maintain the Major Domos' good graces. The large, oaken table that dominated the room was clearly imported, and its surface was kept nearly clear of all clutter; no ink well, blotter, or curiosity cluttered it's unmarred surface, though a dark stain of spilled ink stained it's otherwise unbroken appearance. Besides the high-backed chair behind the desk, two other chairs were within, each thickly cushioned and placed in discrete corners until they might be needed.<hr>Time for the dog and pony show, thought Hector with some frustration as he mounted the stairs and charged up to the Office of the Major Domus. He hadn't yet introduced himself to Lord Azarin, and he was interested in doing just that well before this Lord Marvik arrived...a meeting that would no doubt go poorly. At least the Furst will be there. That'll give this westerner a few too many targets for his comfort, he decided, charging into the offices of the Chamber and grabbing the first clerk he could find.

"Please inform the Major Domus that the Lord Chancellor is here, thank you," he demanded, though like most of his orders they came with an almost distracted detachment of a man who's mind was always far, far away. At least he was equipped with enough information and direction regarding the Pan's Isle incident such that, if the discussion should turn to this, he could fire back at his guest...and hit where it hurt most.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Awaiting the arrival of the Chancellor, Andolin sat back in his desk, now clean shaven and having had time to make an inventory of what was kept in each drawer of the desk of this office. Spending two marks looking for secret doors and secret panels in the office, it was his greatest hope to find one, or both, of a blueprint of the CItadel (complete with locations of secret doors) and the secret files of Marius de Winter, a man who seemed to know everything that occurred within the Citadel. Andolin's hope was that the man had written them down.

"Send him in," the new Major Domos replied to his guards. Rather than remain seated and possibly alienate the Chancellor, Andolin took to his feet and moved to greet Hector warmly. Who was to say who would be friend and ally in the days ahead? One thing was certain, Andolin needed no more enemies at the moment.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: This is pretty forward-leaping thread, btw! Be sure you're comfortable with the jump before we get too involved!)

From his position as Lord of the Chamber...as Major Domus, as custom named the position...Andolin had heard many things about the Lord Chancellor. While the Chamber managed the Caesar's house, including his schedule and his garrison, it was the Lord Chancellor who managed his Empire, arranging the Advisory Council, summarizing notes, and drafting all Imperial decrees for the Caesar's signature when it was required. While the Chancellor could be removed by the Caesar, his powers were, like Andolin's, an extension of that office itself, and they were vast...but while Andolin commanded the fortress with almost unquestioned authority, Lord Hector Anzilo had to manage the Empire through leverage, persuasion, and careful maneuvering, for even in the best of times the Empire of the Seven Isles was not perfectly unified, and it fell upon that man's shoulders to know, understand, and manage the foreign powers and negotiate with them on a daily basis.

Hector Anzilo had a reputation for being brilliant, both tactically and politically, but his gifts came at a price. He also had a reputation for less than stellar protocol, often appearing sloppy in public as well as overlooking the most basic of protocols in favor of brevity. In addition, his temper was legendary, a man that could go from casual conversation to explosive, magnificent rage in less than a heartbeat. Rumor held that he had received his posting from the Caesar himself after they had argued and bickered and come to blows many yahren ago, rumors that might have been based in some truth given that more recent rumors had just reached Andolin's ears by way of his limitless clerks and staff that Lord Anzilo had just done the same thing with none other that Lady Sosa, the pair having battled in his office, a fight that resulted in a destroyed desk and plenty of gossip to last a week. The rumors could not have been entirely false, for the Office of the Chancellor had indeed requested a replacement desk...the request was on Andolin's desk even now.

And now he stood before Andolin, a short, thin man with raven-black hair that seemed to mismatch his creased and chiseled face...the face of an owl or a hawk. A broad, strong nose dominated two large, inset eyes, wrinkles around which marked him as a very passionate, expressive man. Typical for his reputation, Anzilo's clothes were regal and expensive but undoubtedly applied by a horse, with at least one button undone and the lace that peeked out at both sleeves and his collar flat and crumpled maliciously. His boots had been carefully shined, but he had already smudged them terribly, and the ink stains upon his fingers had already spread to his stubble-covered chin, a fine, dark stubble that was visible but thankfully not indecently long.

"Lord Azarin!" he barked, his method of speech halting and forceful. "I'm so very sorry we haven't had a chance to meet before now. I felt you might have been a bit busy considering...circumstances," he said, bowing without too much discredit.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Welcome Lord Chancellor," Andolin greeted him as he entered, returning the man's bow with one of his own. "Come and be seated, there is much to discuss. Can I offer you wine?" He waved the man to a seat and then took his own.

"Indeed, there is much to discuss, and I have been busy acclimating myself," he admitted. "I understand from your note that the Western Ambassador is set to arrive. Tell me how I might be of service to you, and the Empire," he stated quietly. The goal was to keep a polite tone and to ask more open-ended questions where he might listen more than speaking. This was a period for learning after all.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Absolutely I could use a cup, thank you," accepted the Lord Chancellor instantly, seating himself at Andolin's direction. "Though something a little stronger may be in order," he added, a curious statement coming from any Imperial official save Hector Anzilo. Once seated and refreshed, the Chancellor did not hesitate to dive right into affairs, the man's brevity and blunt directness almost as legendary as his somewhat shabby presentation.

"At the risk of sounding perfectly draconian, I think Lord de Winter might serve his Empire one last time in death. You can consider him a fitting excuse for any questions or challenges directed towards your office, Lord Azarin, and I'll happily support those excuses. I don't think either of us has enough fact to explain the events surrounding the prior Western Envoy's slaughter, and when this new Ambassador asks...and he will ask, given that he requested to speak with you directly...we can readily use that as a defense. It won't satisfy him, but it should delay him suitably until the Purple Guard manage to find enough answers," if indeed they can.

"Do you have any information regarding that tragedy as yet? Anything new that I might have overlooked?" he asked, though in truth this was a silly statement. Anzilo was not quite eidetic, but he would not forget any particulars of the crisis communicated to him at all, a crisis that could be used to ridicule the Empire here in it's very heart.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Glad that the Chancellor was so amenable, Andolin wore a pleasant smile throughout, as he sipped his own wine. I should have poured brandy instead. It is a far more civilized drink.

"I suppose that Marius' passing does give us an excuse to be less aware of the murder. I can safely say that I know nothing of it, so my plea of ignorance will appear most genuine." He gave a small smile. "Tell me your strategy my lord Chancellor and I shall help devise an appropriate response. We could announce a formal investigation ... that could take as long as you wish ... and I am sure that we can find some suspect to admit to the murder ... if that is what you wish," he offered softly. Hector seemed a man that would enjoy only a modicum of subtlety. The man was clever enough that Andolin suspected that he did not need to explain what he was offering. It was an attempt to appear helpful without being wedded to the idea.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

I'll be damned. "We'll...consider that a resolution if all else fails. Sending an innocent man to the gallows isn't always preferable to a war, but it certainly makes sense. For today's strategy, we'll evade all specifics and misdirect the Ambassador in regards to both the security of the Citadel as well as the potential future for a new Caesar. We'll just...entertain him for a time, and we'll give him no names at all...no contacts within the Citadel itself. I don't much care what he tries to learn from the Embassies...from us he'll learn nothing."

"And if he gets too indelicate, I'll end our interview by hitting him with a piece of information he won't want to hear," offered Anzilo mysteriously. Anzilo could almost imagine the look upon the Ambassador's face when he threw the Pan's Isle situation back in his lap. All talks of slain Envoys, security, and a leaderless Empire tended to pale and grow weak compared to accusations of invasion, and Hector Anzilo would happily use that information to crush and silence the Western Ambassador for days if needs be.

"Have you heard of the situation in Pan's Isle, Lord Azarin? You might have heard something by now," he said, having gained his own information from Marius de Winter, who had in turn received it from the Imperial Trade Guild. Neither Silk nor Manyana were even aware that it was happening...a certain failure in the Empire's foreign intelligence that Hector already accepted as machinations to weaken and cripple the Citadel. "When I bring that up, I'll try to present myself as....upset. I might threaten him with bodily harm, maybe throw a few things at him...whatever it takes to express to him the nature of my extreme displeasure and to hopefully send him back to his Embassy confused and intimidated. Don't hesitate to summon guards to have me...restrained...but regardless of what happens, I need you to pay close attention to him when I begin my tirade. I don't know if the Envoy has any knowledge of that situation, and gauging his reaction...seeing how the news affects him...will go far in answering numerous questions I have regarding who knows about the affair, who might be responsible, and how 'official' it might be."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I can assure you, milord, that any man that I would send to the gallows would be hardly innocent," he replied lightly. "We have enough murderers and criminals available that I am sure we will be able to obtain a believable confession."

Not knowing that Hector knew of Marius' sources, Andolin decided to play dumb on the Pan's Isle issue. It was important that he be seen as someone who was not a threat ... one who would be spending his time orientating himself rather than causing threats. "I am not sure I understand what you mean about Pan's Isle," he uttered with feigned innocence. "I am still gathering my bearings in my new position."

"I shall have the guards at the ready to restrain you, or the ambassador," he smiled. "Rest assured I shall watch events unfold carefully."

"What do we know of the man -- the new Ambassador? And, what of this woman, Lo Russo, a self-proclaimed consul from the West? She has written me requesting an audience."

Post by Guest »

Anzilo didn't hesitate for a moment before he responded. "Lo Russo is an agent, possibly even a spy. She might not know it yet, but her agenda isn't motivated by the King...I managed to pick up on that pretty quickly. She's moving largely independent of the Ambassador, and that makes her an interest from World's Mouth. Right now she's functioning as the Ambassador's...servant or secretary. She'll be sharp, capable, dangerous, and resourceful...but not politically stable or supported, so don't let her give you any pompous shit, and don't let her have free run of the Citadel," Anzilo's casually horrible colloquialisms were as fitting to the man as his messy hair.

"As for the Ambassador, we know he's not a horrible, womanizing drunk like his predecessor. I don't know if he's sharp, but he's at least civil and manageable...and the blonde he keeps nearby is probably not his lover. I can't quite place her yet, but since her identity or her existence hasn't been noted to us, it's possible she'll be the new spy master for the Western Kingdoms here in the Citadel," naturally enough. They were all guesses, but the Lord Chancellor had been at his craft for far too long to have pointless and wild guesses. "All three of them will most likely reflect upon a newer, more Oneist approach I've seen in the West...an approach that seems to be gaining almost dangerous fervor in the West. Frankly, Azarin, even if the old Envoy were still alive, he'd probably have been recalled by now to favor the new regime. Eisenreich wasn't in the slightest concerned with international policy or Imperial affairs, but this bunch seems...motivated. Be weary of them."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Feeling that he already knew the likes of this Lo Russo woman, Andolin told himself that he could handle her. The Ambassador was no different. He had dealt with righteous men before. They tended to be tedious company. "Thank you. I shall be careful," he assured the Chancellor.

Noting how Hector had avoided the answer about Pan's Isle, Andolin tried to be more blunt. "Tell me more about this incident with Pan's Isle," he urged.

Post by Guest »

Anzilo didn't rise instantly to the question, instead fixing his piercing, almost baleful gaze upon Andolin directly. It was possible the Lord Chamberlain might not know about the situation as yet, but Hector was unwilling to accept that possibility. And in truth, the situation wasn't too great a secret. After all, he had learned it from a merchant's report, and that made it already public as far as he was concerned.

But it gave the man an opportunity to sound the new Major Domos and find out what inspired the man. Lord Azarin was a token if not insignificant part of the Palace just half a week ago, and while his current position was certainly something of a shock to all, he might hold it if he performed with some care and tact. Marius de Winter was not a popular man...but he had been the Caesar's choice, and that was all he needed to hold his office. So what kind of man is Andolin Azarin?

"Your predecessor absolutely hated to be involved in information or events that did not impact his office or his duties directly. He considered it a waste of his efforts and a drain upon his time. That didn't surprise me at all, of course. Marius could talk his way out of anything...even curiousity. He wasn't quite human...I knew that from the first moment I took him at three-penny whist and bankrupted him in under two marks. He loves to count numbers and make nice, clean rules for things. A very...compartmentalized man, you might say. I think that might be one of the few things I respected about him. He was either very discreet, or he was frightened of me. Hell, I don't even care which."

"Now I'll tell you this. Right now our intelligence indicates that the Western Kingdoms has invaded Pan's Isle, establishing a permanent settlement near the natural harbor there and fortifying with upwards of a thousand men and women," the Chancellor paused and considered Andolin with an amused who done it look upon his face. "Obviously, the truths behind the events are a little more complicated, but those are the principle facts we have in hand at this time. This information isn't real secret...I learned it from the town crier..." that had to be sarcasm, though Anzilo delivered the statement as if it were fact "...but it's typical of the kind of problems I often oversee daily. So tell me, Azarin...why has the Western Kingdoms invaded Pan's Isle?" he finished, his eyebrows up to indicate that the question was meant more to be rhetorical than literal.
Andolin
Caesar

Nature Abhores a Vacuum

Post by Andolin »

"I am unlike my predecessor in many ways," Andolin assured Hector lightly. "He was a curious man. Rarely will I frown at new information, for even information that does not seem, on its face, to effect the defense of the Citadel, may indeed be of great import."

"Likewise, I will now avoid you now in cards," he uttered with the closest thing to good humor he could muster at the moment. He gave Hector a knowing smile.

"As to why the Western Kingdom has acted as it has, I am no scholar of foreign relations. As such, I am sure that you have the best ideas. Yet, a cynic might note that no power does anything unless there is an opportunity. Perhaps there was an opportunity to be found on Pan's Isle in the last few days," he ventured cryptically. Andolin knew from his scrying with Amchi that the island was empty. He had told Caesar, but the man had taken ill. He was reluctant to reveal too much, for he did not want to explain his sources. Yet, a hint that he might know something would keep him from being dismissed completely. Andolin did not want to be perceived as a threat , but he did not want to be dismissed as a dimwit either.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The light tap upon the door did little to interrupt Anzilo, as he only offered a shrug in response to Andolin's observations. He didn't appear to be very secretive, but his motion was one of dismissal, a man perfectly happy to accept Andolin's evaluation and let the subject rest with it. That he knew more was certain...he had to know more...but he chose not to discuss it due to a lack of interest or a casual disregard that it might be meaningful to the Major Domos.

What was apparent upon the Chancellor's face was very steep annoyance at being interrupted by the servant and Andolin's door. His proclevity to assault servants with his horrible, deadly, accurate criticism or a more substantial ink blotter or book hurled with grim efficiency was well-known and established, and while those that served the Office of the Chancellor were certainly few due to the Lord Chancellor's legendary temper, they were a fiercely loyal bunch that had survived their initial tenure to grow rather devoted to the reckless administrator.

But this was not Hector's office, so he said nothing...until the servant reported, his words coming without Andolin's consent or request. "I beg your pardon, m...milords, but there are riots in the Outer Ring! One hundred Purple Guardsmen have been mutilated and impaled upon spears, and the mob has fired the city! They're spreading to the Inner Ring even now!" came the servant's anxious, timid voice.

Once again, we get to look the fools before the Western Ambassador. Well, fine... Anzilo rose instantly.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

When Hector was not more forthcoming with information, Andolin tried to hide his frown. It was then that they were interupted.

At the moment he wanted to take a page out of Hector's book and throw something, but Andolin had already suffered worse setbacks and maintained his composure. Rising to his feet, he looked at Hector and announced, "the Citadel is already sealed. We must call on Commander Sosa at once and demand an explanation," he voiced urgently. "Shall we go?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Yes, we'll go..." replied Hector at once, rising and moving to the door quickly. So Azarin would demand an explanation from Sosa, would he? I think I'd like to see that, he thought, having just come from seeing her and the Furst earlier. And he would indeed...but it was likely Lady Sosa was rather busy just now, and Hector's mind was already working through the instant changes he would need to account for this sudden tragedy. Never has there been riots in the Citadel...not that he could recall. That's a damned sigh of the times if there ever were any.

"We do, Lord Azarin, but let's let the lady work, perhaps. Instead, I need you to cancel our introduction to the Ambassador. Give him our apologies, make excuses, assure him we'll reschedule...whatever you decide. Frankly, I'm happy to put it off. I'm awful busy just...now. The Advisory Council will be cancelled for today, and I'm going to need to start writing letters immediately. You're right..." he cast a weary glance back at the Major Domos "...we do need to get an explanation out of her. This...there will be charges for this, and I need to know who to charge. The Lord Advocate will be preparing to move on this, making what arrests he must. Whatever conversations you have with her, you might want to be sure Sir Matiro is present as witness for the Empire."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Not wishing to be a mere messenger, Andolin suggested instead, "why not simply send him a message with our regrets. We can mention that there is a disturbance in the city that requires our attention. He will learn that soon enough. The man will understand. He will need to get back and protect his embassy after all."

"I understand that Commander Sosa may be busy, but I wonder why a hundred Purple Guardsmen were out there. This has the hint of something Captain Ulder would do," he announced suspiciously. "We cannot be squandering the Guard when our need for security in the palace has never been greater. I want guards placed on the doors of every senior official of the Empire here in the palace, including yourself Lord Chancellor. Too many strange tidings and mysterious accidents have me convinced that we need more guards. Lady Sosa is capable, but now that the Advisory council is meeting and the Citadel could be a target, I plan to raise more soldiers and guards for the palace. If it must appear to be an armed camp, then so be it. We must project strength when the Westerners call, and we must project strength over our own island. How well do you know the authorities that patrol the streets of the city?" he inquired as they walked towards the door. "Is the man capable?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Oh, dear Gods above, Lord Azarin, by all means...just send a message with a page! I would like it to come from you as I begged for you to host this little introduction. And by all means, use whatever excuses you must to avoid any contact with the Ambassador until we're good and ready to speak to him. He'll be trying to get to both of us, and when he does, he'll ask a lot of very invasive questions and make a lot of...unstable demands."

What Andolin said next instantly struck a very strong note in the Chancellor. His face seemed to drain of color and his eyes instantly fell away in thought. Dear Gods above, so it's happening. He's right, of course. This is the work of that Captain...not the Commander. But it doesn't matter, does it? Now that it's happened, the Purple Guard could be held accountable for the resulting violence...and that would go far to ruin Sosa. So is this how he intends to remove her? Hector's jaw clenched a bit, already imagining the scenario that would come when the situation was brought before the Lord Advocate's tribunal. It is. Illuminatus above, we might have just handed Silk our necks.

"Ah...the City Guard. Operating out of the Goals. The Provost Marshal...Michael Ranier...he nominally reports to my office, to the Lord Advocate, no less. You're very right once again, Lord Azarin...he would be the first man to ask about this debacle. I'm very curious what he has to say. In fact, I suspect the Lord Advocate, Sir Stephen Matiro, is no doubt thinking the very same thing, and he might have already sent for a report from the gentleman."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

ooc: I gather we could hit two birds with one stone in just this post (since this post is already handy). Fauna won’t barge in though, she’ll wait outside IC, no biggie, talk as long as you want. If this is going to be awkward or if she’s bothering you both to any plots, feel free to say so and she’ll try to come back at a later day. [hr]

Fauna Winthrope, all blond and prepped up and wearing her most discreet blue, satin, court gown, one of those dresses that she had bought just for this occasion, a gown that almost cost her half her savings, stood behind the door, undecided and unsure if she should continue. She was clutching the Major Domo’s letter before her buxom chest as if the epistle was her last salvation from the bondage that clutched her, the bondage that was the University campus.

She was fretting the interview with the Major Domo as she stared at the door, willing it to disappear yet nervous as heck to what might happen. This was the Major Domo, yet she had talked to his predecessor before and she was neither afraid nor nervous of that meeting. However, she knew that the person behind the door was the only man who could free her, probably help her and hopefully push her to new heights of Arcane power and prestige.

But why was she nervous all of a sudden? She knew her ensemble was immaculate, her fashion was current, her golden, blond mane immaculately combed, falling freely behind her like a cascading waterfall with curls at the end. She was and always is… Absolutely perfect in every way!

Yet she couldn’t help worrying. What if this Major Domo turned her down flat? Where would she go? She would not go back to the University, she was sick and tired of the place and its hypocritical people! Hesitantly, as she smoothed her gown once more, looking behind her if her chaperone was present and praying that that odious person was not lurking behind her, she lifted her slim well-manicured hand to knock at the door but stopped in fear. The University knew where she was, she had given them a note, all pink and perfumed and all, telling them where she ought to go. Let those old, doddering fools of wizards think what they like, THE Major Domo was bigger than they are and she knew that he can kick their behinds to the Nether if she presented herself to him frankly.

Er—Should I be frank? Drat! What’s up with me? I have battled a deamon, a dark wizard and was arrested and thrown into the dungeon but I have never been this nervous before! She exclaimed to herself worriedly, smoothing her hair once more, a final attempt of trying to make herself more presentable for the big boss. She needed to make a good impression and right about then, she wasn’t sure if she was presentable enough or if she had enough credentials for the Major Domo.

Maybe she should have worn the gown she had used that night at the Ceasar’s Debutante’s Ball and she regretted the fact that she didn’t. It would bolster her confidence if she had worn that but she thought against it, she wanted to be presentable, not some whore.

The young, apprentice, dark sorceress groaned helplessly, still staring at the closed door as if memorizing the texture of its wood. Gracefully, she opened the Major Domo’s letter once more, trying to read between the letter what the personality of the new Major Domo was.

“What? Are you just going to stand here all day? Maybe I should go and talk to him tomorrow? I don’t know…” She groaned half to herself. With a flick of her blond mane, she turned her back from the door –still loitering -- and reread the letter once more, trying to bolster her confidence with what the Major Domo had written.
[/hr]
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin had mentioned Captain Ulder as being responsible for the foolishness not knowing whether it was true or not, but anxious to begin the process of discrediting him. He had nothing against Sosa, yet, but the Captain had revealed himself as an enemy, That was his mistake. Miltary men think with their swords rather than with their brains. Yet, what he would do to Ulder could not hold a candle to what he would do to Valsert. The man would be dispensed with, one way or another. What was the use having power if one did not use it to destroy an enemy?

"I shall send the note with a page," he agreed quickly.

"The Provost Marshal reports to you?" That was disappointing. Andolin had asked, hoping that the city watch were under his command. What better way to secure the Citadel than securing the city and island around it? To carry out his ambitions fully, Andolin wished to control the entire island, and then the Empire.

"Perhaps we should pay a visit to the Lord Advocate if Commander Sosa is not available. When it comes to security of the Citadel, I take great interest in the security of the city."

OOC~ I am okay with Fauna appearing now if Grant is, but it remains to be seen whether Andolin will stay in his office or wander away to see Sosa or someone else.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: By virtue of her invitation, Fauna is more than welcome to be here! And really, cornering the Major Domos is the only way to meet him since he's a very busy man ;))

"Yes, the City Watch report to Matiro, but I hope you will speak to him first," admitted Anzilo. "Ah...when you speak to Matiro, you might mention that I'm very displeased with this news, and I'm hunting heads for it. That should provide him...impetus, and feel free to work with him or the Provost Marshal as you see fit," replied Anzilo. In truth, Anzilo knew only very little about the Lord Advocate, and nothing at all about the Provost Marshal who reports to the Advocate, for both are so far removed form either the Lord Chancellor or the Major Domos that they're almost...unimportant. Unless there's a riot in the city, added Anzilo to himself.

Pulling open Andolin's door, Hector revealed....Fauna. She had used her letter...a response from the Major Domos, no less...as her invitation and warrant to gain entry to the Citadel, though she had been escorted by none other than six Purple Guardsmen from the moment she had entered. But the Purple Guardsmen were of little comfort to her, for Jeremy also had his bailiff's warrant, and with it he had been allowed access as well. He stood just behind her, perfectly amazed at where she was going and to whom she was staring at even now. Jeremy was dressed in a very shabby manner to be seen in the Citadel, and he knew it, his clothing more urban, rugged, and common. The young mage had been clearly taken unawares, and he was not happy about it. Not one bit...

Hector paused in his tracks, briefly flickering his eyes over the blonde. From Amun Rah, and yet a blonde. Cute. "Lord Azarin, you have my dearest thanks for your assistance in this aborted meeting and your continuing support. As I said, the resources of the Lord Advocate are at your disposal, and I'll be too preoccupied with addressing the cancelled Advisory Council meeting to be of great use for a while. I want NECKS for this tragedy, and I want to have the right necks...so I do hope you'll begin looking in on the matter at once. Good day, sir."

Typical for Hector Anzilo, he was not in a hurry to make new introductions at this moment, so he merely offered a polite and sensible bow to both Fauna and Jeremy before he backed away, his mind swimming with what must be done before the end of this tide...
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

She groaned in dismay, half to herself and half out loud by the crowd she had caught. Six Guardsman?! And Jeremy, of course, she shouldn't have been surprised by it. A part of her was elated when she saw him, but a part of her was dismayed by the 'platoon' of escort she had. On that onset, she felt like a common criminal than a princess!

She was on the mind of rebuking the guardsman to let her be when the door loudly opened and was followed by a voice and she gasped out loud, her blue eyes widening as she imperiously turned with a flicker of her blond mane.

"My lords!" Fauna quickly and artfully curtsied, bowing her head immediately and held it there and with a quick nod, she turned her pretty little blond head to her 'escorts' to urge them to do the same or else!
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Surprised to find Fauna and Jeremie on the other side of the door, Andolin paused before replying to Hector. He had wanted to go see Sosa, but now it appeared he had visitors. "I shall take care of the matters," he called after Hector, purposely remaining cryptic as to what those matters might be. Sosa would have to wait. So too would the Lord Advocate.

Turning to his visitors, he regarded both. Fairly certain he knew the pretty blond, Andolin nodded at her. He had seen her in a dream the night before, or at least it seemed he recalled her. She is Fauna I think. He did not recognize the man.

"To what do I owe this visit?" he inquired formally, looking for an introduction of the pair. He was prepared to invite one or both into his office if they were here to join his faction. There was a great need for lieutenants at the moment.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Damned bitch, thought Jeremy, facing none other that both the Lord Chancellor AND the Lord Chamberlain. How she managed to get her invitation was completely beyond Jeremy, but she did have it...the guards had let her by without so much as a "by-your-leave" (though they had gawked shamelessly at her, the miserable jackals), and Jeremy had been forced to use his own credentials to get inside, credentials that were almost inadequate and would no doubt incite questions or comments to the Major Domos himself. He was nominally there on behalf of the Bailiff of the University, and his warrant was in perfect order...but not even the Bailiff himself could enter the Palace without some cause if he didn't have an invitation...no, the Palace was sealed, and Jeremy considered himself fortunate to have gotten this far.

As if his suffering were not adequate, now he found himself confronted by the very same man. Sure enough, Fauna would present her letter as an invitation...and that would put Jeremy in a very awkward position indeed. His position was already awkward in that, unlike Fauna, he had not been prepared for a visit to the Palace, his clothes rather shabby and rural compared to what was customarily seen within these walls. He wore a rather shabby white shirt that had seen many better days, and his leather breeches were stained and patched in more than a few places, breeches that might have been appropriate for the markets or the streets, but would mark him as little more than a buffoon. He was certainly in no condition to greet either of these two men, and his rather uncertain, hesitant bow to the departing Lord Chancellor....he's shorter than I expected...reflected his unease.

Gritting his teeth, he said nothing, but he did manage a pleasant smile and another imperfect, clearly nervous bow, awaiting Fauna to make good her invitation as well as an introduction...if one would even be offered. She didn't have to introduce him...he could be her servant for all he might have appeared just now...and that would absolutely complete his otherwise massive embarrassment. Jeremy was, like so many magi in the world, a very proud creature. Oh, I'll have my revenge, you little whore. Yes, I'll get you back somehow...
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

If it had been another face, Fauna would have seamlessly and gracefully smiled, turning on her feminine wiles and charms. But no, it was a face she recognized, a face that seemed to have come out of her dreams and suddenly appeared before her face, real and alive.

Is that possible? She thought in alarm, gawking at the Major Domos, her deep, celurean eyes wide opened. How remarkable! She exclaimed to herself, stepping gracefully forward and reaching out her hand to touch his familiar face and then she realized what she was doing and paused, her flawless, melatonin impoverished cheeks flaming.

"I apologize, Your Excellency..." She gracefully curtsied again, blushing coyfully like damsel in distress. "You seem to..." Fauna trailed off, completely ignoring her chaperone.

"I am Lady Winthrope and I am here for a private engagement with Lord Azarin." She gave the man a cool smile and presented the Major Domos' reply to her letter which was completely creased and rumpled, a sign that the letter was opened and read a dozen or so times.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

As Fauna reached for his face, Andolin instinctively withdrew from her approaching hand. He did not like to be touched by strangers generally.

"I am Andolin Azarin, Major Domus," he announced as she apologized. He reassured himself that she could not have recognized him from the dream the night before. "You are welcome here." He turned his gaze to Jeremy and asked, "and who are you?" By the look of his attire, he was no one important. Perhaps he was a wayward servant. He was ready to invite Fauna into his office, but he was not of much mind to let servants enter as well.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”