A Pirate's Life for Me (Samheen 24)

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

A Pirate's Life for Me (Samheen 24)

Post by Shaeliana »

It had been a busy day and she had worked hard. That should have meant easy sleep and back in Kings Court, it would have. However, it had also been an emotional day and she was in a strange bed, among strangers. The soft rocking of the ship rolled her from side to side on the cot, and though gently, it was motion she was no longer used to. Then, there were her thoughts which over all was her worst adversary to sleep.

Weary though she was, her mind replayed the evening over and over; the playful banter of the captain followed by the frustrated anger; the reaction of the men around the table, both towards her and in reaction to his outburst. This was followed by the argument she overheard and her many questions about the triad and Than. Of course, these events were no doubt well known to the men. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to innocently weedle some information out of them in the guise of researching her decision to sign the confounded charter.

That thought set off another round of worrying thoughts as to what she should do, sign the thing and make herself an equal crew member - a pirate- or keep herself aloof from them, save her reputation perhaps but be considered chattel. What was an unsullied reputation after all if one didn't have the freedom to enjoy it?

Eventually, it was the rhythmic rocking of the ship that lulled her to sleep, gowned in the previous doc's shirt and covered with the cloak she had worn, not trusting the cleanliness of the blankets she had found resident there. Daylight would bring a good housecleaning to her cabin and everything in it, blankets and bedding included.

Slowly, she floated up from dreamless sleep the next morning, the sun's light already peaking over the horizon. Stretching lazily, still half asleep she wondered if the king would call for her this morning as had been his habit while they'd been on the ship. Pulling her cape up over her, she yawned and rolled to her side, cracking her eyes open.

And sat straight up in the cot, blinking as she absorbed the reality around her. It would not be Balthasar who called for her here, she reflected, turning loose of the hazy warmth of feeling her dreams of the young king always produced. She might well never see him again except in her dreams. But that was counterproductive and she had no time for such self-pity now. The sun was rising and she had patients to check on, cleaning to do and questions that needed answering.

Rising, she finger combed the tangled locks of her long hair as best she could and sighing, tied it back into a tale at the nape of her neck. Having no water in her room, there was no way to wash, a condition she would be certain to remedy tonight. Slipping back into the docs clothes, for she didn't wish to soil her green healer's frock and had found the trews more comfortable for kneeling and tending her wards, she slipped up to the top deck quietly, her healers's bag in hand as she made her way to tend her patients. There were bandages to be changed, poultices to be reapplied and potions to be administered and if providence was with them, hopefully her charges would be responsive today.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Post by Raven Darkheart »

Shaeliana may have been an early riser, but she was not the only one on board. Already several men, and upon careful consideration, judging from the forms that swayed in the ropes, some women as well, were doing their chores.. from mending rope to smearing tar to waterproof the ship. There was no sign of the captain however. Jack, the quartermaster had taken the helm, standing as a dark statue staring over the water.

They were sailing near the coast, using the line of land to coordinate their course. Kings Court could no longer be seen, and hence Roque d'Ancourt had grown bigger. They were perhaps two or three marks away from reaching its shores.

Shaeliana's patients were looking much healthier already, her expert touch proving itself right again. Two men had already woken up and were softly conversing. They watched her with interest as she came upon them, vaguely recognizing her from the fever haze the other tide. A third was sleeping soundly, and without fever as far as she could judge. Her most troubling patient however was still not looking well. His fever had not gone down and he was half awake, but did not see her truely. He was not eating and lost fluids rapidly.

"He's a goner, Doc," said the greybeard with a cut on his right arm, his blue eyes friendly and resigned "Coldfire be gripping him I think." Sure enough there was more black flesh on his wounds, as if he was rotting from within.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It was a gorgeous morning, the sight of land sliding serenely past calming in a way the healer had never quite understood. But, this wasn't the time to enjoy the scenery or the weather. Patients awaited her.

Most of them were doing well, which lifted her spirits. Offering warm smiles and words of encouragement, she checked the dressings, administered a tea of various herbs to encourage healing and dull any remaining pain and asked the men how they felt, if they were hungry. The restless one from the night before was still not doing well however.

"Don't give up on him just yet. What is his name?" she asked the man who had pronounced him a goner as she began to look deeper for the cause of the rotting skin. More maggots would be needed to eat away the dead flesh and from the looks of things, it could take days. Still, if she didn't find the source of the rot, all the maggots in the world wouldn't help. Carefully, she examined the sailor from head to foot, searching for any sign of redness or swelling elsewhere that might indicate something hidden.

As she worked, she talked to the man, calling him by name, encouraging him to fight whatever this was and come back to them. This might be the hardest thing he would ever try to do, but she promised it would be worth it.

"Fight hard," she urged as she let down her shields slightly and tried to funnel some of her own determination into him not certain if it would be effective or not.
"Win this battle for me, come back to us and I'll give you a kiss as reward," she added softly in case her emotional support wasn't enough. So much of healing was about the patient wanting to be healed and fighting to make it so. It was a truth she had learned from her grandmother, watching folks that should not have died succumb to death for lack of will to live.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Grateful for the tea, her patients gobbled it down with some bread that was a bit stale but which seemed to go down well, especially since a bit of gravy was provided with it. "We are lucky Doc," the old greybeard said between two mouthfulls "Fresh food. We've had some trouble procuring it. We were down to take the meat with maggots again." In fact, now that he mentioned it attention was called to the lean figures in the makeshift beds. Shaeliana could count the ribs.

"That be Skillin Jim," the greybeard mentioned helpful, his mouth still full. His eyes widened when he heard Shaeliana try her rather unique method of providing motivation "Oi, I should 'ave pretended to be dead!" he laughed, his hearing not impaired with age, "You be kissin all yer patients?" Her other patient, a young man, despite his rather mature looking scars he couldn't be past 18, looked at Shaeliana hopeful as well, his ears perking up on the greybeards exclamation. Whether Skillin Jim would be equally eager for Shaeliana's kiss remained to be seen. So far she was not reaching him, his fever being too high and the sweat not broken yet.

Shaeliana couldn't find any direct cause for the infection, no obvious cracks or bubbles. Jim's leg was troubling him and already the maggots had revealed sinews, the cut having gone dep. Possibly the bone had been cracked a bit, which could mean that is where the infection started. If she did not stop the infection soon the rotting could travel through the blood and start the same process elsewhere, in flesh that was now still healthy. The most commonly used method on board of pirate ships was amputation, and one of the helpful sailors that had brought the tea and brought looked down at the distraught healer "Shall I bring Old Doc's bag then? The one with the saw?"
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The thought of eating meat that maggots had taken to caused the healer to shudder, not because of the maggots but because of the foul taste of the meat and the fact that rotting meat sometimes caused sickness. Laughing lightly at the men's responses to her promise to reward Jim with a kiss if he lived, she shook her head.

"Only those that threaten to die on me," she grinned. "But don't go gettin' any ideas. I can tell between a truly fatal injury and fakin' it," she lowered her voice and leaned forward a bit, falling into the more casual informal speech of country folk she'd grown up with.

"And you don't want ta know what I do ta fakers! It isn't pretty," she winked at them and grinned as she sat up straight continuing her examination of Jim, brow creasing back into a concerned frown as she could find nothing specific to attack.

Amputation was an ugly thing, though some times it did mean the difference between life or death. Still, Shae had never practiced it. In Brie, there had been other healers and she'd left that sort of thing up to them. Sure, she'd watched and had even held the hot iron ready to cauterize the wound after so the patient wouldn't bleed to death. She'd never had to saw through bone however and empty though it was, her stomach lurched violently at the thought. She wasn't sure she could do it.

Knowing her face had to be showing all her emotions just now, she tried to reign them in and nodded to the young sailor's offer to fetch the "tools". She would need help, men to hold him, and someone to stand by with the hot iron.

"I'll need a fire to heat up the iron to close the wound," she told another crewmember standing by. Mixing up a stronger potion for deadening pain, she added it to a thimble full of whiskey and slowly poured it down Jim's throat, before upending the bottle and take a swig of the whiskey herself. Intense heat coursed down her throat, bringing tears to her eyes as she choked on the heat and fumes.

While waiting on the tools, she rose and went to the siderails, gripping them as if her life depended on it and stared out over the sapphire blue waters, tears welling up in her eyes that had nothing to do with the whiskey. I can't do this, she whispered to herself and whatever deity that might happen to be listening. How do I just saw through flesh and blood without throwing up or passing out? I can't. Already my strength is gone, she offered as she lifted her hands from the rail and watched them shake and tremble.

But the truth was there was no other choice and she was the "doc" now. If she didn't take off the offending member, the man would die. I have no idea how to get through this but there is obviously no choice. If ever I needed your help, it is now, she finished her prayer and turned around to face her patient again, certain that by now the sailor must be back with the tools.

"What is your name?" she asked the helpful sailor as she took the instrument from him, trying to steady her hands as well as her heart.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

The crewmembers ran for Shaeliana, sprinting away, leaving her to come to herself, gathering her inner strength. When for the first time in a LOOONG time Shaeliana prayed, she felt a warmth sweep over her shoulders, like warm arms around her, whispering that she had strength to do what was right. It was not a clear presence, not a man on a cloud or a grotesque female. Who could say what this was? It was a supportive thought nonetheless.

"I'm Jonathan, M'am" the sailor said politely, handing Shaeliana the bag full of implements that she had noted the eveningtide before "Though only my mum calls me Jonathan. The lads all call me Jon." Jon, his sanded curls playing in the wind, eyed Skillin Jim "Will ya give him a peg, M'am?"

Behind young Jon the cabinboys some of the other crewmemers gathered, one of them holding a hot iron at the ready. "Shall we hold him down Doc?" a large burly man with an eyepatch offered.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Tears sprang to the young woman's eyes as the warmth enveloped her shoulders like an encouraging embrace. Long had it been since she'd sensed her god's presence and she'd feared that he had left her. Now, here among what many would consider unprincipled men, the peace she so hungered after returned. As long as she had been in the presence of the king, avatar of Dominicus, her own god had been absent. There was a time she had wondered if perhaps Dominicus was her god who had never given her a name, nor a face, only a presence and solace. Now, she thought it unlikely, but there would be time to dwell on such thoughts later. Breathing a soft thank you, she turned back to her patient.

"Well, Jon. We have to stop his decline first. Once we've made certain of his living, then we'll think about what accessories he shall need or want," she smiled slightly as she took the bag of grizzly tools from him. "I need your help again however," she instructed. "I'm going to bind his leg tightly to stop the blood and I need you to hold onto the stick of that binding tightly no matter how much he moves. If the binding comes loose, he is like to bleed to death," she explained. "Do you think you can hold tight to it for me?" she asked as she took out the cutting tools.

"I'll need more strong spirits," she said to another who stood by. "Whiskey if there is any," she added, nodding to the man who offered to hold him.

"Yes, when I get ready to cut, I'll need several of you to hold him, the strongest holding down his lower leg," she said as she poured the last of the whiskey from the day before onto the skin where she would be cutting, a good space above the wound itself. Taking a long length of cloth out, she wrapped it around Jim's leg above where she would cut and twisted the ends, placing a sturdy stick into the loops to make it easier to twist it tightly. She needed to cut the flow of blood as much as possible. Once she felt it was sufficiently tight, she let Jon hold it as she moved to take up her tools and put them close by.

Preparations completed, there was nothing left but the doing, and reminding herself that she was not alone, recalling the embrace, she looked around for one more volunteer and chose a big man, burly but clear of eye and steady.

"I need your help if you will, sir. This must be done quickly and while I've some strength, yours is more. I'll guide the blade, but I need your strength to help me cut through quickly. Will you take the other end of the saw with me?" she kept her voice even and calm though her pulse was racing and her mouth felt like dry sand.

Finally ready, she advised those set to hold him to get ready as she poised the blade over where the leg had to come off. And they started, the pinning and holding of the thrashing limb, reacting to the pain as the saw bit into skin, cutting down quickly through muscle until it hit bone. Back and forth Shae and the helper drug the blade as fast as she could manage, appalled at how much he still bled in spite of her bindings. They had to hurry and she urged her helper for more speed while those with the hot iron stood by ready to sear the bleeding veins closed. And then they were through the bone and the rest went easily. Shae took the hot iron and held it to the stump, the sickening smell of burnt flesh almost overwhelming mixed with the coopery smell of the blood that had splattered over her clothing and onto the deck.

Grizzly part over, she gave Jon leave to let go of the binding as she began to slowly release the constriction, watching for signs of new bleeding as she went. The stump was then doused with the spirits brought to her and that was followed with a bandage, loosely applied for now. The stump would require frequent watching to make certain new rot didn't start up. Finally, she had the man moved back to his bed so she could clean up the area they had made such a mess.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

One of the sailors reached for a small piece of wood, forcing it into the mouth of Skillin Jim, so that he would not bite off his tongue during the procedure. More whiskey was provided and Shaeliana got down to her grissly work. It was HARD work, and she easily worked up a sweat. Her patient was screaming, despite the whiskey and the wood, at a piercing tone that got right down to her own bones.

When she finished, the hot iron searing the wound closed, Skillin Jim crying out for the last time before he fainted, the deck was spread with blood, as were her clothes and those of her assistants, who obviously had experience at this procedure. Jon looked at her with renewned respect "That is looking good Doc. If he survives he'll be grateful to ya."
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Proud that she wasn't a squemish female, the blood didn't bother Shae and she found that cutting through the flesh and bone, while it wasn't easy, didn't make her flench as she feared it might. However, the screams tore at her heart. She would have given anything to spare her patient that pain. Gritting her teeth, she used it to push faster and harder, to finish the job and end the pain.

Once finished, the healer found herself somewhat weak kneed. Covered with blood and sweat, the waters they floated in looked inviting and she wondered what they did for baths around here though looking at the men, she suspected they did nothing. Finished cleaning her tools and packing them up, she turned to those standing about.

"Thank you for your help," she said, taking notice of each of the men and women who had come to offer their strength and aide. Looking at one of the female crew members, she laughed.

"Where does a girl go to get cleaned up around here?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

A girl with freckles all over her face and a golden red mane of hair grinned at Shaeliana "Usually we don't Doc. However, since we are not at sea but at a lake, big as it is, I have good news for you.." she winked and pointed to the water that was all around them, which for once wasn't the salty water that would render it useless for cleaning purposes, but instead almost as sweet that you could drink it "Why don't I ask one of the lads to pull in a couple of buckets of water and put it on the kettle for ya? You could have hot tube waiting for you in half a mark. You'll be all fresh when we land in Roque d'Ancourt."

The rest of the crew started to go about their business, giving Shaeliana a respectful glance or two. Jon still tagged along, cleaning her tools and putting them back in the bag.

On the upper deck, his hands on the railing, Raven was staring at her, bleary eyed with a rough stubble, looking quite hang over. There was a gruding respect in his blue eyes, and he nodded to her once, before walking away to join Jack at the helm.
Last edited by Raven Darkheart on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

They had a tub? Perhpas things were looking up, the young healer smiled and nodded at the freckled lass.

"Right now, wouldn't have ta be hot necessarily but I'll not sneer at so lovely a prospect," she laughed softly as she turned to Jon. "You've been such a help. Would you mind hauling up some water?" she asked hesitantly. The young lad had been very helpful and seemed a bit out of place here among so many ruffians, or at least what Shae assumed were ruffians.

At the sight of Raven standing on a deck above her, watching what went on, she stiffened slightly. Still angry with him for tricking her and making her captive on his ship, the anger had softend some, especially after overhearing the conversation last evening. Determined to do something outrageous, she smiled brightly and waved at the man. In response, her stomach rolled reminding her she had not fed it breakfast.

"There!" she grumbled to herself as he walked off to join Jack. "Let him wonder what that is all about," she turned, made the rounds of her other patients quickly before searching out the cook to see if she could beg or cajole some form of food out of him or her. After that, a nice bath and she could don her healer's frock and be ready to go to town. The captain would surely see that it was practical, her going to town. If they were going to be out for awhile, as Jack indicated, she would need to stock up on herbs and supplies.

It was as good an excuse to get on land as any and once in the city, her chances for escape were much improved.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Jon nodded at Shaeliana "Sure thing Doc," he said brightly and already jumped into action with the enthusiasm of youth. His eyes were filled with an admiration that was not entirely professional but very boyish, for he was quickly developing a crush on the prim healer.

Ravens eyes widened slightly, unsure how to react to Shaeliana's wave. He surely wasn't expected to wave back as some kind of blithering fool. Behind the helm Jack grinned wolvishly, noting how uncomfortable the captains was. Raven gave Shaeliana a regal nod before walking over to talk with his quartermaster, ignoring the guffaws of his crew.

The hot tub was waiting for her when she returned to her cabin half a mark later, with some hot vegetable stew that looked fresh enough, and spread a lovely smell. The cook had given her a small container with red wine too, winking at the healer as he whispered "From my personal collection, M'am, for Skillin' Jim."

After her bath, Shaeliana would find Raven where she had left him, on the upper deck.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Chuckling to herself at the captains astonished reaction to her wave, she decided that perhaps being inordinately nice might serve her better than butting heads with the man. Like Balthasar, he had a strong streak of stubbornness but even that could be handled if it was done right, she smiled as she finished her work.

When she returned to her cabin, she was mildly surprised to find the tub there and waiting. Uncertain where they would put the bath, for some reason she hadn't expected it here in this cramped space. This was perfect however, she smiled and peeled out of the bloody clothing, dropping it on the floor before the doorway. It would have to be washed as well, but Shae's bath came first.

The hot water felt sinfully wonderful, the heat seeping into her tired muscles and loosening them. Curling her legs up, she slid down so her shoulders were submersed in the water, her head supported by the side of the tub. Eyes closed, she took a deep breath and relaxed, shutting out the sounds and movements around her as she let the hot water do its work.

Eventually, it began to cool and so the healer finished her ablutions, scrubbing her hair and skin until she felt clean, pouring clean water set aside over her hair and body to rinse off the soaps. Stepping out, she wrapped a towel around her middle and reached down for her bloody clothing which she dropped into the tub.

Without a brush or comb, the best she could do was finger comb her hair, which proved most unsatisfactory with her thick camp locks. Quickly, she leaned over the tub and washed the blood out of docs clothing, wrung it out tightly and hung it to dry. She'd have to ask someone about hanging it outside where the sun would dry it more quickly. Slipping into her green healer's frock, she stepped out of her cabin and made her way back up to the top.

Still where she left him, she climbed the steep steps up to the upper deck and greeted Jack and Raven with a warm smile.

"Good day, gentlemen," she offered pleasantly. "I've a bit of a quandary, as you can see," she ran her fingers fitfully through her tangled hair.

"Would either of you know where a poor female might lay hands on a comb in order to make herself presentable?" she asked in her sweetest voice, tilting her head slightly to one side as she watched their reaction.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Raven was staring over the railing at the passing scenery. He had to admit being impressed by Shaeliana's professional attitude towards his crew, who were already closing her in their hearts. They were simply folk and they loved and hated without thinking, going with their instincts. It had saved their lives many a times. Raven heard her local drawl, a country girl, and realized that was part of why the crew took to her so easily. She's one of them already, charter or no.

She came up on him suddenly, and he turned around quickly, leaning with his back to the railing. Jack's appreciative eyes went over her form in the clean clothes and he wanted to strangle his mate for some dark and obscure reason. He couldn't stop looking at her wet hair as she combed through it with her fingers, unable to shake a vision of this woman stepping out of a hot tub and into a waiting towel. If she had railed against him, he could easily have handled her. Now however he only managed a boyish grin, till Jack planted his elbow in his stomache.

"UGH. .. ahm.. right. I take it the lady wishes a comb to be added to the shopping list," he recovered, the pain focusing him back to reality "Anything else?"

As they stood on the upper deck, the harbor of Roque closed in on them. Already Shaeliana could see the docks in the distance, and the crew was busy climbing in the ropes to reeve the sails or they would crash into them at full speed.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Cheeks coloring under the scrutiny of Jack, the healer glanced down at herself quickly. A healer's tabard was designed for modesty and practicality, to allow her to bend over patients without worry. It was hardly designed to be seductive in any manner and added to that the awful sad state of her tangled hair, she hardly thought she presented much of a picture to gap at, and yet it seemed both did, each in their own way.

To make things worse, the captain missed the point all together. first she had put a comb on the list last night, making her decide that a written list was most assuredly in order. Second, she needed something to comb out the tangles now, not in a mark from now. Wanting to scream, but instead maintaining the sweet ladylike attitude, she smiled and clasped her hands in front of her, waist high.

"Well yes, a comb is one of the things I need to procure from the city, but I can hardly go ashore looking like this, sir," she pulled at her damp curly locks once again. "I was hoping I might borrow a comb for now, until I have one of my own," she smiled brightly, directing it at the captain.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Shaeliana was blissfully unware how the tabbard still filled out her forms nicely, covering most of it but recalling a sense of what was underneath. But it was her wet hair that instantly created a fantasy in the men's head, Raven more so than Jack but he too wasn't immune to its effects.

Raven stared at her incredously as her words slowly registered on his brains "Oh.. OH.. right.. ahm..You want to come with me." He frowned, not feeling comfortable with that, but since he made an ass of himself uncertain how to refuse her. He opened his mouth, and closed it again.

Jack saved him, as he had many times in the past, deftly handling the helm while he politely, carefully spoke "M'am. Please forgive me, but I must protect the interest of the crew. Unless you sign the charter you are to be considered treasure. Treasure should be kept under close watch and going shopping in this frivilous town doesn't fall under that."
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Victory! She had him over a barrel and could see it in his face. Her smile broadened in anticipation of the cave in when the quartermaster stepped in. Instantly, the smile vanished as she realized that she would have to win both men over. That or sign the confounded charter, which she'd not had the time to ask for let alone read.

Of course, if she signed the charter, she could still jump ship at Roque. Couldn't she? After all, she was faking her signature. She had no intention of joining a pirate crew, no matter how nice they seemed. Oddly enough, they did seem nice. And decent. It gave her pause to wonder how they ended up taking up a life that would put a price on their head just by signing.

"I do understand your concerns," she turned her attentions to Jack, pouring all the warmth of emotion she could into her voice. "But if we are indeed going to be a long time from another port like this, as you said, then I must have more herbs and supplies. What I purchased yesterday was only for a few days, less than that given the condition your men were in. I can't do my job without supplies," she tilted her head gently to one side again and looked up at Jack earnestly, her eyes pleading with him.

"I'll be good, I promise," she added softly, a tiny bit of guilt rising up over that wording. She would be good, but to herself, she reasoned. So, she wouldn't be breaking a promise, exactly.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Shaeliana could see Raven's eyes softening as she washed the emotions over him, but not so with Jack. There was perhaps an amused twinkle in his eyes as he regarded her, yet his voice was of steel. "The charter, madam,' he assured her, "must be signed before you leave the ship. You cannot expect me to compromise my duty over a pretty face." Shaeliana felt as if she was the ocean washing up against the rock. Impressive, but the rock remained standing. Jack's sense of duty could not be compromised.

"Now, milady," Raven smoothed, "what harm in signing that charter. Then I will take you shopping, getting some of your supplies as well as those items you've swindled out of me." Shaeliana was struck by the thought that Raven was acting out of character, especially when Jack arched an eyebrow to watch his captain. Jack was far less affected by the ladies presence.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The man was impossible, harping on the charter again! Anger flared in her eyes, a burst that she quickly quelled. Her one time savior had now become her jailor for she was certain that if she could have petitioned Raven apart from Jack, the captain would have allowed her to come along. He might have had reservations, but he would have done it none the less. There had been no time to read the silly charter, she wasn't even certain it had been delivered.

Did she dare sign the blasted thing, she wondered. If they were caught, could she convince their captors that she had only signed it to protect herself? If it were the cardinal or Balthasar, or even Anton, she wouldn't fear retribution but the ship would sail far from the place she called home and those who knew who she was and knew her character. What happened if she signed it and then managed to escape in the city? Would the pirates chase her? If caught, what would that do to her standing among them? Right now, they seemed to like her, being respectful of her position if nothing else. Could they really blame her though if she tried to escape, knowing that she had been forced to stay against her will? Still, signing the charter would indicate her approval on some level.

"As you well know sir, my morning has been rather busy. It is difficult to read a contract while you are parting a body from one of their limbs and letting your healer go to purchase supplies is hardly giving way to a pretty face," she retorted to the quartermaster before turning her attention to Raven's request that she sign up.

"I was told I could study it before signing. It should think that it would be foolish to sign something without knowing what would be expected of me after affixing my signature," she added, one brow arched slightly as she eyed first one man and then the other.

"What exactly would be expected of me? While I would conceivably be gaining some freedoms, what freedoms would I be giving up?"

"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Jack laughed at Shaeliana's fire "Ye have a pirate's heart lass," he quipped, his local accent becoming heavier as his amusement grew. Digging in his breeches he found a scrolled parchement and handed it to the healer "I've been saving it for ya this morningtide. Didn't want to get blood on the charter."

Charter of the Company of the Lady Rose wrote:Article One
Every man shall obey civil command; the Captain shall have on two share in all prizes. The Master, Doc, and Boatswain shall have one share and a half. Food, Drink and Medicines are to be taken out of the pot before the Quartermaster decides the shares.

Article Two
Every Man has a Vote in Affairs of Moment; has equal title to the fresh Provisions, or Strong Liquors, at any Time seized, and use of them at Pleasure, unless a Scarcity make it necessary, for the good of all, to Vote a Retrenchment.

Article Three
If any man shall offer to run away, or keep any secret from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one blade and one bottle of Water.

Article Four
If any Man shall steal any thing in the Company, or game, to the value of a Coronet, he shall be Marroon'd or hanged. If a Man shall steal anything in the Company of less than a Coronet he will receive such punishment as the Captain and the Company sees fit.

Article Five
If at any Time we should meet at another Marrooner (that is, Pyrate) that man shall sign his Articles without Consent of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

Article Six
That man that shall strike another, whilst these Articles are in force, shall receive 39 Stripes on the bare Back or such punishment as the Captain sees fit.

Article Seven
That Man that shall smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without cap to his Pipe, or carry a candle lighted without lanthorn or lantern without hood, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

Article Eight
That Man that shall not keep his blades clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

Article Nine
If any man shall lose a joint in time of Engagement, shall have 4 Crowns: if a limb, 8.

Article Ten
If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer Death or such punishment as the Captain sees fit..

For a moment the quartermaster concentrated on the helm, adjusting the course slightly, meandering left and right so that the ship would slow down properly with the sails down, afore they would enter the port of Roque that was now so close by.

"What you need to understand M'am," he said, resuming his genteel tone "Is that we are Gentlemen and Ladies of Fortune, not some mere rabble. There be rules on this ship, the civil command based on common sense and during battle the Captain has the say of it. However we submit to no man, not even the Captain, not even the King. The freedom of the sea is ours. This the Company of the Lady Rose that has written the articles of this here charter, and the Company that has a last say over everything."

He gave Raven an impish grin, who could but shrug as the quartermaster explained "Should the Captain fail to bring us treasure, or otherwise lose the vote.. he's marrooned. The appointed Quartermaster, that be me, oversees the dividing of treasure, the rationing of food, meets out the punishments etc. Tis the Quartermaster who when at sea can Nay Say the Cap'n. I be like .. the Company's voice."
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

At that moment, she didn't know how the two men could stand one another. They were so much alike with their smug assured attitudes. What she wanted to do was snatch the hateful charter out of the quartermaster's hands, but that would have been revealing weakness and she wasn't about to give either of them the satisfaction.

"Why you are just the soul of consideration, sir," she said breathily as she gently took the paper from his hand and opened it to read. Not as long or involved as Shae thought it would be, it was in truth pretty simple and straightforward. Article three gave her some concern. Of course, they can only maroon you if you are caught, she told herself.

"So poor Jim earns eight crowns for donating his limb? Lucky man," she murmured sarcastically more to herself than anyone. The quartermaster's voice declaring the vulnerability of the captain produced an arched brow, her eyes still on the document.

"How many captains have been voted off the b- ship?" she asked lazily, correcting herself without pause. She suspected the answer was none as she looked up. Somehow, regardless the rules, she couldn't see Raven going down that easy.

"I don't see anything on here about when a body wants to part fellowship with the company," she very primly handed the parchment back to Jack. "Seems that would be something important enough to include in your rules," she added and waited for their answer, a small voice in the back of her head telling her she wasn't going to like it.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Jack waited calmly for Shaeliana to finish reading. While ego and smugness might characterize both men the difference in character was obvious. Jack was a patient man, who moved with care and precision, with calculated moves. He did not reply to Shaeliana's questions immediately, his eyes concentrating on manouvering the Lady Rose into the harbor. She was going like a whisper now, with sailors poised to jump on the dock and pull her in by ropes for the last few feet.

Raven was not a quiet person.. certainly not now. Captain Darkheart had a restless boisterous soul and he was pacing up and down the deck while he waited for the healer to have finished her reading. He rubbed his neck trying to figure out why he was so affected. He wanted to please her, often found himself speaking before thinking about it. Raven lived with a passion for life in his heart, but little lasting love for any girl he met. That spot was already taken. Yet, he could not bare to feel the burn of her anger. It was almost as if he could physically touch her indignation, a very unsettling sensation.

"I've been captain of the Lady Rose for the last 5 yahren, always steering her straight for profit" he declared proudly, before his suddenly serious ice blue eyes looked at her "That is not the record, but it is bloody close. There are only two other pirate captains who can boast more yahren. One of them is dead. " He snorted "In other ways Shaeliana, you'll be joining a fine crew, a fine company, even if you'd think otherwise."

Satisfied his work was done Jack turned "The company allows people to leave when they have served their purpose and all shares are paid. There is none on the Lady Rose who would choose to leave now though. These are difficult times and you could do worse than sailing under the Darkest of Hearts."
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Gazing back into those blue eyes, that almost spoke of a yearning to be approved somehow - a fact the healer found unsettlingly similar to the young king - a gentle smile formed on her lips.

"I've been most impressed with your crew, sir," she replied to Raen in all truthfulness. They'd been very pleasant and respectful as well as helpful not only to her, but to one another. Working together was common place for them it seemed.

"I have found nothing in them so far to cause me to disagree with your assessment. They seem to be very fine people," she smiled and turned back towards Jack as he explained that there were none on the ship who would chose to leave now, for nothing better awaited them.

"But that isn't entirely true, sir," she replied gently. "I would chose to leave now," she reminded him.

"Oh, but I forget myself, until I sign the blasted charter, I am nothing more than chattle," she continued on quickly though keeping her tone soft and civil as if discussing the weather.

"And if I sign the charter, then I am bound to you until I am no longer useful or have... paid my shares? Pray tell, how much must I pay to purchase my own freedom sir?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Jack was not unsettled by her needled response. He merely nodded with a serious face "Yes, you are a captured prize. We frequently randsom people and I think that we would easily catch a few coronets for just an average healer... for the kings healer however, as you claim to be, that price would be several tenfolds. To fully compensate our loss for no longer having a healer so talented as yourself.." He frowned, considering it, used to contemplate all such issues when deciding what share was fair for what crewmember "Well, a 100 crowns seems a fair price. Not quite the amount needed for a manor, but nearly halfway there." He nodded to himself "Yes, a 100 crowns it shall be."

"Well milady," Raven said brightly "That settles it then. Will you sign the charter and go shopping with me in this lovely town?"

OOC: We will be continuing here and see what the citizens of Roque think of such Rogues ;)
Last edited by Raven Darkheart on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently NPC
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

For several flickers, the healer was speechless. 100 crown was an awful lot of money. Even recompensed as well as she had been as a healer, she only had just over 10 crown to her name. Fighting the sudden sense of panic and despair that threatened to overwhelm her, she blinked and swallowed hard.

"100 crowns?" she began weakly. "That's a king's ransom," she added a bit more strongly, a bit of anger mixing with her despair..

"You can't expect that anyone would pay so much for a healer. Not even one of the king's healers! And looking at your crew, I doubt any one of them's seen as much as 10 crown put together in all their days," she fumed and then turned to look at the shoreline and the city beyond.

I'll never be free," she uttered the words slowly and softly, the lump threatening to jump from her chest up to crack her voice again before the anger rose up again. Anger at him! Who stood next to her urging her to sign the blasted charter and go ashore with him. The same one who tricked her into coming on the stupid boat! Fire flared up in her brown eyes as she turned her eyes on Raven.

"This is all your fault!" she spat, lunging towards him with her fists raised to strike him in the chest. "Only a few burns you said," she snarled, tears now flowing along with her anger as she attempted to hit the captain, taking out her frustration on the man who she saw as the cause of it.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”