Preliminary Tribunal (Samheen 25th, TT)

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Cyren sat with her hands folded in her lap staring down at them throughout the entire proceedings not looking up once. Listening to what everyone had said and hearing their emotions as they were said. She had arrived late while Valsert sat giving his testimony and sat in a chair next to an empty one that she had assumed, hoped was his. She felt very out of place in here and was unbelievably uncomfortable.

When Valsert had finished he came and took up the empty seat next to her. That at least was something that relieved her tension a bit. Looking over at him she smiled.

My this young man reminds me so much of Ulder. His spirit and want for justice is very heart warming. If I were to have not heard him in this room I would have thought that the commander the only one truly looking for justice.

Leaning over closer to Valsert she whispered , "Do not be concerned to much by these people Sergeant. They are empty vessels who are extremely selfish and only thinking of their own advantages in this sad affair. They do not even know the name of one person who gave his or her life, nor do they care, but you and I do and that is what is important. I commend you in your efforts to try and make them listen. You must understand though that these are people who only thrive on others praise and others misfortunes. They are opportunists and this has proven to be a very great opportunity for them. Maybe somehow you and I can make our reports heard by someone who will care enough to see that justice is done and that the many lives have not gone in vain."

Pausing for a moment then continuing, "Remember what that man told us. We need to get back to the barracks."
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

Cyren’s words matched Valsert’s own thoughts so closely that he did not at first realize she had spoken. When he finally did comprehend that the voice was not his own mind, he turned to look in her eyes…. looking for any sign of the spark that he felt in his own spirit.

Is she willing to risk her very life for something as intangible as justice? Or am I the only one who’s ready for what must be done?

Valsert did not know how long he sat starring, although even if it were for only a flicker, it seemed like burns had passed. Blinking his eyes he focused again on the present.

“Yes, if there were someone who would listen….yet there are none. We must do the next best thing and make the entire city hear us. Shall we go now? There are no untainted ears here, that do not wear purple. And Yes, it is past time that we remove ourselves from this den of corruption.”

Standing quickly to his feet, Val turned and began to walk past the eyes in the courtroom. He did not look to see if any other guards followed as he moved toward the door, but he thought he could feel Cyren’s presence close behind.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

None of the other guards moved to follow as Valsert rose and departed, though the eyes of Macy Fets followed him closely. She needed to get to him...to get to him quickly...but that was impossible now. She couldn't leave until Sosa had accepted her bargain...or denied it, which seemed...absurd. She had to accept it...that way, none of her people would see the gallows and she herself would be free to go...but until she did, Macy was bound to the pulpit to deliver her case.

Michael Ranier was a very sharp man, and in the silence that followed the Lord Advocate's challenge, he watched Macy closely. He didn't like it when she thought too much...that was always a dangerous sign...and he made a mental note to visit her tonight and try a few new things to her, just to get her talking. Oh, damn! I'll be with that Av'Dalor woman... he remembered, wincing slightly. Well, it could wait...Macy couldn't create too much havoc too quickly...

Ignoring the quick glances of his comrades as he slipped out of the chamber, Valsert could see the nervous tension in them as they...in accordance to tradition...held their places at the Tribunal's entrances. They did glance at him though, their looks weary and uncertain, before he exited out to the hallway beyond.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant

Post by Guest »

Cyren didn't move immediatley after Valsert but waited for a few burns so as to not draw too much attention to their departure. She hoped that he would wait for her outside somewhere close by. There were things they needed to discuss and decide. Mostly she just needed someone to talk to right now. Someone who could help her sort through all the happenings and put them in order so that she or they could move on in a direction that would atleast give all the events thus far a meaning of hope rather than total failure.

Quietly getting up she moved to the main aisle and headed toward the doors. Outside she looked around to see if she could spot Valsert. Not wanting to ask any of the guard there she quickly moved out away from them. Seeing what she thought must be him walking away she called out, "Sergeant wait!" and started to run towards the person.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val halted his brisk walk at the voice of Cyren calling from behind him, although he did not turn…would not turn. He feared that to look back now at the rat cage of greed and corruption, would ignite a rage in him and bring him to live out his earlier daydream of cutting loose the soul of the rat known as silk.

His active imagination worked quickly to show to him the likely result of such action. The same ability, which helped him to imagine battlefields long before the battle is fought, now seemed a curse designed to rob him of the justice of his blade and the deep desire to use it. However the mental image of disgrace and dishonor while being marched to a gallows did steal away his rage, preparing him to proceed calmly with what must be done.

Valsert waited for the running foot falls to reach him before he spoke softly for only her to hear.

“There is little time to waste Cyren. The barracks need to be emptied still and Guards warned of the coming events.”

Again his mind spun off in thought. A view of the Commander in a well guarded cell came quickly to mind, along with estimates of how many guards would be needed to free her before any execution took place, and how many of those honorable warriors would die for it.

“My first stop is the armory. I know we have much to do, and splitting to double our efforts may be wise…..but I would much prefer your company.”

Post by Guest »

Seeing the man stop Cyren quickened her step to catch up to him.

"I thought I had waited too long. I am glad that I caught you."

They both quickened their step as Valsert began to speak of things to be done.

"The armory, yes that would be a good place to start. And if we were to split up it would be me going to the armory and you going to warn the men as they would listen to you far quicker than myself as I have only just joined and probably in their eyes still am the bad person. So your idea of staying together is rather a good one."

Valsert was a tall human and his strides seem to match his height. Cyren had an urge to grab his hand to make keeping up with him easier but thought twice about it.

"Do you think there will be wagons at the Armory? It would make it easier to have something like that to put the things in do you not think so?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

One of the key aspects and a focus of training in the military, is to move quickly, react quickly and to never delay….at least until you arrived at the end of your orders and waited for more. Another part was learning to march in unison, each soldier keeping pace so that the entire body would arrive at the same time…

It took Valsert only a few more strides to realize he was moving too quickly for Cyren to properly keep up. While the Guard trained him to march in formation, keeping pace with others, the typical method of movement in the Guard was simply FAST. Move quickly, arrive quickly….then wait, that was how the military was run. The irony of it struck him as slightly funny, that today with a few words that military would be no more and at the same time his training would never allow him to act differently. Would he ever be able to simply stop and enjoy a meal again without rushing thru it in two burns.

Having realized this, Val slowed his pace slightly. Not so much as to draw suspicion that he had done so, to not offend her, but enough that the rest of the short journey would allow for a less labored conversation.

“I doubt they will have as many wagons that will be needed. Although if orders have already reached them, there is a chance I suppose. The more important question, I believe, is if the purple guard is fully loyal, or if informants will instantly scatter to tell what is happening.”
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Seeing her most trusted soldiers leave almost made Sosa lose control, but somehow she found the strength to stand straight and look calm.

Illuminatus must know the situation she was in, and so she was in his hands. It was not a new sensation, and she had been in more perilous situations without questioning her faith.

She looked Marcy right in the eye, and answered calmly:

"We are forced to surrender, against claims that would stick not in any true court.
But you are right in one thing: As Commander of the Purple Guard, I am responsible, and I will not hide from this responsibility."

she was silent for a few flickers, and then continued

"We know we did what we believed was right, and followed the path Illuminatus showed us. In the end we all answer to the Gods, and I will pray for you, when that time comes for you.
Now, with your permission, I will leave and go into axile at the Oracle's isle"

She bowed at the guards present, and turned to leave.
[size=75]avatar by allavatars.com[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Macy couldn't meet Sosa's gaze, and so she didn't try, her eyes falling to the floor. The Lord Advocate almost breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed only Silk had anything more to say, though he managed to say nothing at all, slumping back in his chair with every sign of clear frustration. Run away to Oracle's Isle, Sosa...I'll still be here when you come back, I think, he grimaced, waiting for the final verdict to come from the seat.

"Then we are agreed," announced the Lord Advocate clearly. "Lady Sosa, there are no formal charges upon you, so you are free to do as you wish. Good luck in Oracle's Isle. Tradetide, Samheen 26th...the Lord Chamberlain will relieve the Purple Guard of their garrison orders in the courtyard of the Citadel, and following this, they'll be disbanded indefinitely, their tabards presented as Imperial droits until the next Caesar assembles them. There will be no criminal charges resulting from the riots of Samheen 24th whatever. I will make the necessary announcements to the Lord Chamberlain and the Lord Chancellor at once to confirm the appointment, which should lie a few marks before the next meeting of the Advisory Council. I believe our business is conducted, unless anyone has anything further to discuss?"

Macy clearly did not, gathering up the letters that Ranier had presented quickly and efficiently and refusing to take her eyes from the floor before her. Ranier himself merely rose to his feet and cast a sympathetic look at Sosa...nice face...nice form. Maybe she'd like a spot in MY operation?...before he paced out of the chamber.<hr>Somewhere well behind Cyren and Valsert were the sounds of movement as the Preliminary Tribunal ended, the first form visible in the doorway that of Provost Marshal Mike Ranier, though he no longer carried his documented protests and damages from the Guildsmen and Merchants of the city. The Tribunal had ended for today, and judging by the appearances of the guardsmen protecting the Tribunal Hall, the resulting deal would stand.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Without another word or look at the assembled vultures, Sosa left the room.

She was in a hurry: there were things to be packed, people to meet, plans to be made.

Let them think she would retreat to Oracle's Isle. Silk would believe it, he had not seen Sosa's fierce side for a very long time.
And she would make them believe, she would play her cards very carefully. this was a game she at least knew how to play: the game of the hunter and the hunted...
[size=75]avatar by allavatars.com[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

And indeed, Silk would believe it.

There she goes, perhaps the finest waste of a lovely woman I've ever known, he thought, smiling slightly as the Paladin was forced to retreat the room, beaten by the only weapon that could possibly threaten her. Never had a mind for politics, did you, Sosa, dear? Always the tough girl...and now you're the lonely tough girl running off to your lonely isle to speak to your angry and confused Gods...the same ones that brought us into this mess. Damn...what a mess...

Turning his gaze upon Macy Fets, the woman nearly trembling and flushed with shame, humiliation, and sorrow, Silk almost felt sorry for her. After all, Macy wasn't entirely different than Sosa...though she served a more practical deity, and she was willing to make greater sacrifices for them. In another life, poor Macy, maybe you would have been something greater, too? As it is, I'm sure Ranier will handle you tonight. You look like you could use...reminded...of your place.

"Madam Secretary, shall we close this Preliminary? I'll schedule the retirement ceremony for Samheen 26th, tradetide. Will that do for all present?" droned the Lord Advocate, comfortable that further division in the city had been averted...for now.

~Fin! I'm going to close the scene here as it's nice and done! Cyren and Valsert, please feel free to start/join a new thread to pursue this one with your own plans!

-Grantly
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Skilled by Justice.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”