A Title Fit for a Beginning - Samheen 24th, late MT - Acies

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

A Title Fit for a Beginning - Samheen 24th, late MT - Acies

Post by Guest »

Boredom...

She should be up and about. It was almost tradetide, already, and the noise of the city was knifing in through the curtains, a dull roar of activity cloaking the bedroom in sound. But the sheets of the bed were still warm, and the drowsy feeling of sleep still haunted her mind. And anyway, she really couldn't be bothered! It's not like there'll be anything interesting to do today, anyway... Except perhaps taunt that wet weed... uhm... thingumy. Whatever his name was. Mother seems keen on him. Perhaps she should marry him instead... This last bit thought rather nastily, Acies rolled over onto her front and kicked the sheets off her feet to get them some air, flexing her toes experimentally. It was a real pity this latest suitor was so dull, she considered... It might have been nice to have a proper battle of wits, once in a while - instead of just avoiding drab company. Life could be so tiring sometimes.

Damn it all. She allowed herself that one unladylike thought, sighed deeply, and for the first time that morning seriously considered getting out of bed. She might be missed eventually, anyway. And then Mother would kick up no end of fuss and insist of monitoring her time to see it was productive. Oh, how she hated that word. Or more correctly, her mother's definition of it - it always meant something horribly boring - nothing she could properly get her teeth into, anyway. She told herself off for this ungrateful thought, shaking her head softly - her silvery hair falling into her face as she did so. She huffed it out of her eyes with a lungful of air, and studied her carefully manicured fingernails for flaws. Nothing to do there, either.

There was nothing for it - she'd exhausted the possibilities of staying in bed, since sleep and dreaming were now lost to her. She was too conscious to lay about for any longer. Nothing to do but get up, she supposed glumly, and face another tryingly dull day.

And with that, Acies rolled over and reached down to the side of the bed, fumbled briefly for the book she'd dropped there last night when she'd fallen asleep, and pulled the sheet back up to her chin. I'll deal with Mother later. Now, to escape to somewhere more challenging... She grinned, and flipped through the pages until she found her place.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Acies barely got a dozen pages into her book before there was a knock at her door. It was timid but insistent and urgent. In short, it was a servant that feared not performing the duty given more than disturbing Aceis from her slumber. In fact, speed was so imperative that the door actually opened to reveal Cecilia, her maid and a gaggle of servant girls behind her.

"Up, my lady. Up quickly!" She bid her as the servants trailed in. "An envoy from the Queen has come and asked for you!" The girl's eyes were wide with excitement and awe. "We must get you ready at once!" She squealed.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Insolence! Normally such behaviour from servants - entering her bedroom before she had even given them permission to do so! - would have earned the trespasser a clout with an accurately thrown book, and probably several sharp words to keep it company. She was about to do this very thing and begin voicing her thoughts on the matter at great length and volume, when Cecilia breathlessly announced the reason for her urgency. "An envoy from... from the... Queen herself?" Acies was momentarily stunned - the words of chastisement dying in her thoughts before they'd been properly formed - her book-holding arm actually held back in preparation to throw, but forgotten. A small part of her mind vainly sought for recent wrongdoings that might account for the Queen's sudden interest in her - and finding nothing, she simply said, "Huh." The book slid unheeded from her fingertips and dropped with a dull thunk on the floor.

Immediately this thought concluded, she became a whirl of activity - rolling from the bed in one graceful movement, she quickly began sorting through her wardrobe of clothes, rejected gowns flung without ceremony on to the floor and bed as she searched for something suitable for the Queen, no less. "Well?" She demanded in a rather imperious voice of Cecilia and her gaggle of servant girls, "Quickly! Don't just stand about - you must help me dress! We cannot keep the Queen waiting!" A thoughtful listener might have detected a slight tinge of panic in her otherwise clipped and superior tone - and they would have been completely right. Behind the veneer of studied propriety a rising excitement coupled with a slight fear sent shivers of adrenaline down in to the pit of her stomach, and her limbs and mind were alive with it.

Nothing interesting to do today, indeed! This rates beyond the realms of interesting and straight into the territory of slightly terrifying... what will her majesty want of me? Self-doubt put aside, Acies could think only of the marvellous opportunity this presented to her - something exciting to do at last! The fear-shot adrenaline could only be a bonus of excitement, of course. Ahh, this is perfect.

That last thought directed not only to the situation - which filled her with a sort of wicked glee - but also to the dress she'd fished from the depths of her closet. A long, graceful silk number in a flattering shade of deep red - newly bought for her by some suitor or another, she couldn't quite remember. But tasteful and respectful enough for an audience with the queen, she had no doubt. She waved it impatiently at Cecilia, "Are you going to help me or not? We can't stand about all day, you know! We must hurry!"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The serving girls threw themselves into a whirl of activity. Her sleeping garments were swiftly removed and tossed forgotten to be collected at a far less urgent time. They couldn't risk the delay of a bath so a fragrant musk was dabbed delicately about her body while fine toothed combs were pulled through her hair to sweep it up into a simple but fashionable do.

"She is a fancy one, she is miss. The Envoy." Cecilia informed as she slipped the dress up Acies's legs. "Tall and proud. Her eyes watch all the time. Your mother was impressed." She whispered in awe. The dress was hurriedly strapped into place and the finishing touch of a hair comb with a stylized bat in ruby and onyx was added.

"There." Cecilia said proudly holding up a mirror for Acies to inspect herself. "Ready to face the world and conquer it, eh miss?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Tall and proud, is she, indeed? Acies inspected her reflection in the mirror, her eyes narrowing critically. She tweaked the comb a little, "I'm sure the Envoy is only as proud as her station allows, dear..." she murmured, in an offhand tone. It was hard to tell if this was aimed as a criticism at Cecilia or the Envoy herself, but Acies did appreciate the crumbs of information from her maid, and gave her a small, rare, warm smile as she smoothed out the folds of her dress. Cecilia had been invaluable in helping her find or avoid certain people in the past - there was nothing quite so useful as a good ladies' maid. One with good eyes, that is, and a mind well-developed enough to read the right people, but keep the right sort of secrets.

Eventually, she took a deep breath against the knot of excited tension building in her chest, pushed her shoulders back to proper posture standard, and smiled slightly at her own reflection. Ready...? I feel as though I were born ready! "Yes, I believe I am ready, Cecilia. But tell me," she turned fully to look Cecilia in the eyes, "This Envoy - do you know of her?" Is she someone I might have met already, I wonder...?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Cecilia practically beamed when Acies smiled at her. Her mistress was hard to please sometimes, but these moments when they were partners in crime, these were the best.

At Acies's question Cecilia's face scrunched up in thought. "I know she has never been here before." She began. "And I don't recall her from any of the dances or function you've brought me along to. Your mother must know her though or know of her." She concluded. "Your mother is being formal."

Cecilia shard a look with Acies to make sure she understood. Some women when they are nervous tend to babble. Not her mother. When either really nervous or when a deal is so important that it simply must go through, her mother gets very, very precise in her words and manners. Stiff even. "Its worse than last Rasday when your suitor's parents came to dinner." She squeaked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Acies watched Cecilia's crumple with concentration at the question, and carefully maintained an expression of patient friendliness. Well, the girl isn't the brightest banner in the jar, but she's loyal - I can read it on her simple face. Loyalty matters. At least, it matters to me.

The answer she got was everything she'd expected - if Cecilia had known the Envoy, she'd have not hesitated to say so immediately. The maid seemed to enjoy the feeling of importance she got from a close friendship with her mistress - and though, if pressed, Acies would not have described their relationship with any words as strong as "friendship", she happily allowed the seeming closeness to the maid to continue for as long as it was mutually advantageous. And after all, loyalty works both ways, does it not?

But no, that was wrong - the answer was not quite everything she expected. If her mother were acting very formally, that lead one to immediate conclusions. Acies pouted slightly as she considered this - that piece of information was exactly what she'd been looking for when she asked Cecilia - receiving it, well... At least now I have some idea of how this will go. Forewarned...

"Thank you, Cecilia - I believe that tells me everything I need to know." She smiled warmly, if somewhat nervously at her maid and adjusted the comb in her hair absentmindedly - another sign she was a little apprehensive of this meeting. "If mother is being formal to our guest it would be wise if we didn't delay the meeting any longer." Mother has a good eye for formality, I've always thought. "Let us go, directly. I have no wish to appear rude to our guest."
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"No definitely not, miss." Cecilia bobbed her head and opened the door. She led the way out of the bedroom while the gaggle of serving girls remained behind to clear away the results of the hurried dressing. "Your mother received the Envoy in the entrance hall but said they would retire to the gallery to await you." This was yet another sign of her mother's desire to impress. The gallery held fine portraits of the greatest in the Maerret line particularly the ones with the most direct relations to themselves. Also on display were abstract statues from the finest shapers and various curiosities from the surface world that might catch the eye.

Cecilia silently led them past the watching eyes of her ancestors and over the runelike shadows the art projected on the floor into the center of the gallery. Had there been walls around the low table and the carved chairs it would have been a small sitting room. As it was this furniture simply sat in the middle of the room set off by a rectangular mosaic on the floor. It was a place to sit and admire the treasures about you, including the chairs and table before you as they were made of a lustrous dark wood.

"Oh our family acquired that piece 57 yahren ago." Her mother's voice drifted back to them. "It was proclaimed to be the third finest Professor Aluric had ever seen."

"I can hardly imagine two others that look finer." A cultured voice answered in return. Cecilia and Acies came around a piece of statue and could finally see the speakers.

Her mother sat ramrod straight in her chair holding a glass of wine that looked untouched. She was dressed with her usual fashion in a shade of dark purple.

The envoy was standing before a exquisitely carved stone mask studded with small gemstones. She wore a gown of midnight blue that draped her lithe form perfectly. Her skin was the lustrous ebony that every girl hoped for and her silver hair framed her face just so. She gracefully turned at Acies's approach and smiled at her warmly. Her mother stood and crossed to her side. Every bit of body language screamed, 'Don't screw this up!'

"Envoy, may I present my daughter, Acies Maerret?" She ritually asked.

"You may." The envoy smiled once more. Acies noticed slight twinklings of blue on her skin as she did. Sapphire dust in her cosmetics, no doubt. "Please present me in return."

"Daughter, I present to you Lady Vlast Devir, Envoy of Her Majesty." Her mother intoned formally.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Acies dropped into a deep, elegant, well-practised curtsey - her mother was certainly being formal, and the young dark adhiel did not miss the loud hints her mother was silently dropping that she should follow suit. "I am honoured, my lady," Acies spoke carefully - neither shy nor overfamiliar - as she rose, and smiled warmly at Lady Devir. The surname was, of course, very familiar - that an envoy of her majesty should be of the same blood was of no great surprise. Family often seemed to go hand in hand with power.

And the woman was... beautiful. Acies reluctantly acknowledged this, letting no hint of her mildly jealous scrutiny reach her eyes. Sapphire dust...? Then she is also rich, though that is of no great surprise with a surname like Devir - that word alone speaks volumes enough. But of her house, and with her position - and she must have a sharp mind to be the Queen's personal envoy - what can she want with me, I wonder...?

Acies went with her instinct, and followed the fine traditions of families of breeding everywhere in her formal conversation, "I must respectfully apologise for keeping you waiting, my lady - though I pray my family's little collection has kept you at least partially entertained, that you might overlook my tardiness. The Morelisal is one of my personal favourites, I must admit... such power to it," with this, Acies referred to the sculpture the Envoy had been admiring. Maerret's daughter had no great love of sculpture - though it was pleasantly decorative and the finer pieces sometimes had an almost sensual aura to them which called for fingers to run over them - but despite her lack of art appreciation, she did appreciate power. Political and social power in this place could depend heavily on art, if that art were conversation - and this was one art Acies held great respect for.

One simply doesn't skip straight to the point of the meeting - one makes idle small talk and assesses the other, until such time as the conversation works itself to it's point in a more subtle and agreeable way. Acies knew well this game, and though she could be sharp of both wit and tongue, she felt the time for this was not now. Now was the time to be very careful with her words, and this Lady Devir was a woman to be treated with the utmost respect. At least until she divined the Envoy's purpose.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I have passed the time most pleasantly." Lady Vlast assured her, waving away any such concerns with a well manicured hand. "She turned back to the Morelisal for a moment. "Power to it." She echoed. "They really did once, you know." She turned back to Aceis. "They were a focal point for worship and were said to glow with the power of those that believed in it. The Dark Lady put a stop to that I am told. She is a jealous one." Her face spread in a radiant smile. "Still there is something alluring about being the focus like that, don't you agree?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

There was indeed something alluring about being the focus of such attention and dedication - Acies' games of romance had taught her that much, if they hadn't yet found a man she considered much of a challenge. "Alluring? Oh, certainly. Any lady of worth would admit to enjoying such attention and focus." Acies returned the smile, "But attention in excess can curtail one's freedom as it gives one strength and pride. One must be careful who one allows to do the worshipping, do you not think...?" This was merely playful conversation around the theme of attraction, but Acies could sense the other conversation they were having - that of power. Perhaps she had begun to divine the Envoy's purpose in this meeting. If the discussion of power and focus lead her thoughts...

"Or, perhaps it is more accurate to say - it would be wise to allow the attention but not take it too seriously. The worship of others can sometimes be an unreliable and flimsy thing, prone to change its direction and object when offered a greater prize. Maybe I am being too cynical?" Acies retained a certain lightness to her voice - she couldn't be seen to get too serious about this, while still uncertain which topic precisely they were discussing.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I think you are merely quite grounded in reality." Vlast smiled at her. Her eyes showed approval as though Acies had just passed a test. "It is not for everyone to soar to the surface as artists and prophets do. After the dreamers dream their dreams it is the hard workers that make them reality. Sometimes I envy their ability to dream." Vlast lets her gaze linger on the statue for a moment longer and then returns her attention to Acies.

"It is the Queen that now has a dream." Vlast informed her. "A great dream of conquest and redemption, a dream of the dark adhiel taking their rightful place as leaders in the world instead of being an afterthought at best or an enemy at worst."

Vlast paused to take a sip of her drink. "Your mother tells me you are quite well versed in the social graces." She stated.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

I see - so she is looking for someone very particular... this talk of dreams, and of hard work - she is not looking for a dreamer, but a... worker? Somebody practical? I think I see...

Acies noted with faint pleasure the look of approval Vlast gave her at her words, and let the pleased feeling creep into both her smile and her eyes. Rarely did she find herself striving to impress someone, and more rarely still did she actually crave their approval - but the mere rank and position of Vlast Devir were enough to stir fresh butterflies of excitement and anticipation in her stomach. Something was building here, of that she was quite sure - and to be chosen for a dream of the Queen's - or even to be considered - well, that was one of the greatest honours Acies could conceive of.

Play your cards and words correctly, and more honour might be bestowed upon yourself and your family, Acies silently warned herself, She may seem impressed by you now, but you must be careful if you are to get what you want out of this... Whatever that might be! To bring the dark adhiel to... to their rightful place as leaders of this world? Oh, how a challenge like that might make me! It seems Molten has answered my prayers - and offered me a trial worth my attention! Thank you, father - I am so grateful for this opportunity...

"My mother has offered me great opportunities to learn, my lady - and for that I am grateful. I have done my utmost to be a keen and diligent student to her, that I may honour her kindness to me - and I would be proud to suppose that she thinks me well versed, for I have strived to live up to her high expectations of me." It was not quite outright boasing - Acies could never have phrased it directly like that - but she did think herself rather accomplished in the ways of society, and would hate for Vlast to think otherwise by being too modest.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"And has your mother introduced you to the boors and the boring and the outright insulting?" Vlast inquired. "Have you ever been cornered by a rival heaping scorn upon you and your house and resisted the urge to exact your revenge then and there? Or perhaps you were required to endure the wandering hands of a drunken but influential lout that you cannot risk angering?" Vlast waved her hand in dismissal. "Of course she hasn't. Mothers protect their daughters from such things. Usually." Vlast flicked her eyes to the mother and then back to Acies.

"Can you sit at table with your worst enemy and politely dine while making pleasant conversation with only the subtle undertone to comminicate how you would eviserate her given half a chance?" Vlast asked with a barracuda's smile.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Acies returned the smile, and her thoughts rested on some of her recent suitors - usually men chosen or introduced by her mother, for the daughter would certainly have not chosen any of them herself. Yes, she had dealt with the boors and the boring - though in a far more limited sense than she imagined - and yes, she had dined politely with women she considered rivals and enemies, and done her utmost to spoil their meal with her carefully chosen but perfectly seemly and polite words. Never, of course, with an outright enemy - but in Acies' rather sheltered life, an enemy was not someone who might poison her food or try to kill or blackmail her, but someone who had worn the wrong dress, or been overheard gossiping, or spoken to the wrong man. Her confidence in front of Vlast grew as she recalled instances of most of what the Envoy was describing - she thought herself a master at all these things - though she had but dabbled, and had great eagerness to test her skill and learn more of it.

Perhaps it is time to be more open with this woman, and test her back...? Acies pondered briefly, and then, as she spoke, wandered the halls between the sculptures, running her fingers briefly over the Morelisal and turning to face Lady Vlast with a smile.

"In truth, my lady, it would be a great fault to my house to... suggest that I had passed my time with boors and the boring..." She winked playfully and almost imperceptibly at this, certain that the Envoy would follow her reasoning, "I could not bring myself to insult dear acquaintances of mine, such as the noble Lord Eirythar, for whom of course I would have nothing but good words to say if you asked me..." The Lord was known as a drunkard and a womaniser, and respected as much as he was due by all with any standing in Gulanadur - Acies had met him on one occasion and she felt sure Lady Vlast would share a similarly low opinion of the lord. After this little speech in play, with both of them surely reading from the same carefully worded page and between the lines, Acies stopped and turned to face the Envoy. When she spoke again it was carefully, and with a tone of great respect in her voice.

"But I cannot think you came all this way to talk to me of trifles, certainly - may I suggest that a woman of your standing would have no time to waste on such as me if she had not already made up her mind...? Perhaps I am wrong, in which case - forgive me. But I am certain you know of me - and now you seek to know me yourself. Though I have been guessing at your intentions - no doubt you expected this of me - I find myself yearning to know the truth. What is it you want of me?"

Immediately, she wondered if she had been too bold - but resisted the sudden urge to look to her mother in order to divine her reaction and see if she had crossed the line. No, it was time to stand on her own feet - if she had overstepped the mark, it was better to stand up for herself with confidence and not betray herself with weak looks of preemptory supplication to her mother. She held the Envoy's gaze, and willed herself to breath and look normally.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It is just as well Acies did not look at her mother. She was quivering like a taut bow string and staying quiet and upright only by sheer force of will.

Vlast smiled at her forthrightness. Her informants had not led her astray. This girl was indeed perfect for her needs.

"I want you to become part of the Great Ascent." Vlast purred. "Already it is in motion. Dark knights and sorcerers make ready a fort on Pan's Isle, a toehold in the surface. They go for many reasons. Limited objectives like revenge on a god that wronged us or the opportunities for fame, power and glory. The Queen sees this as the first step to a lasting presence on the surface and for that, we will need to seek allies among the surface races, to gain their goodwill or at least their tolerance, and to negotiate both before and after the battles."

Vlast rose from her place and approached Acies until she could almost feel the heat of her breath as she spoke. "I am asking you to be the silk glove around the iron fist. Will you join us?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The Great Ascent...? I had... I had heard rumours of such a thing... but... I took it to be taleweaving and daydreams... not... not reality... By the father's fire... can this be...? but it must be true - the Lady Vlast would not make a game of something so serious. Perhaps I am luckier even than I might have thought... Adventure...? PAH! this is... this is history in the making... this is my big chance.

Acies looked up and met Vlast's eyes - her gaze was wide, hopeful - as if she could barely believe it at all, and her eyes burned with a fiery excitement that welled up through her veins and brought a flush to her cheeks. "My... my lady..." She managed, finding it hard not to break into the widest, happiest smile, "If it is truly me you want - nothing would please me more than to accept. I will join you." Gone was her fear of what might be - that she might somehow be in trouble, or that she might not live up to expectations. She had passed the test, and received the reward - the offer had been made. She could scarcely believe it. The stomach-butterflies were back with a vengeance, but now for entirely new reasons.

And after a long moment, with her smile widening and her eyes sparkling, Acies turned to her mother - she'd almost forgotten about her at all, "With your permission, mother." She smiled, and tipped her head slightly on one side. They both knew the permission was a formality. When Acies desired something, she would do her best to acquire it - her mother's blessing was preferred but not essential. If, by some remote chance, her mother did not give permission, Acies would be quite happy to go anyway. She'd simply hide her disappointment behind her steely determination to have her own way.

"When will we leave...? And what should I bring with me? I am anxious to please my Queen, my lady - I should like to know all you can tell me of my purpose." Acies began, addressing Vlast once more. It would have been easy to detect her growing excitement - but her mind had turned to more practical things. Even when in the throes of great emotion, she was able to keep her tone and face presentable and not become giggly or overwhelmed. That would never do, in any well brought up dark adhiel.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The waves of relief and pride washed over her mother with such suddeness that Acies was convinced she was going to collapse to the floor right then and there. She weakly nodded her approval. "You honor our family greatly, Lady Vlast." She managed to say.

Vlast looked at Acies holding her excitement at bay and smiled in approval. "We leave tomorrow at morningtide." She said and then took a sip of her drink. "The main group will have the fort constructed and secured by then allowing non combatants such as ourselves to have a place of relative safety."

"Bring your sturdiest clothing for travel and some of your finest finery." Vlast continued. "We will be called upon to display poise and a sense of style in the most rugged of conditions. Quite the challenge but I am sure we are up for it." Vlast smiled at Acies confidently.

"Our mission is equally a challenge." Vlast sobered a bit at the thought. "There are three main factions active on Pan's Isle." She ticked them off on her well manicured fingers. "The first is the Panlings, the surface adhiel and their trade allies caught there when the Oneists invaded. Second our hereditary jailers the Centaurs. Third, the Oneists themselves." She looked back at Acies. "There is an old saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. So it is our mission to make friends, wheresoever we can."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"I see." Acies noddded at Lady Vlast's words and absorbed this knowledge intently, turning the ideas over in her mind. "I expect all three will require good reasons to trust us, whichever we decide to ally ourselves with. Though it will be hard to tell which might become our allies until we can meet with them ourselves. It would, of course, be most unwise of us to become a fourth faction of our own right - but with a bit of persuasion and care, perhaps we could, in fact, take the number of factions down to merely two. With ourselves on the stronger side, of course..." She paused, aware that her thoughts were running away with her, and smiled at Lady Vlast warmly.

"My apologies - this is all mere speculation. We cannot know how these things will work themselves out until we meet the situation itself. I suppose I am simply eager to begin. I shall begin preparing myself immediately, and meet with you early tomorrow morningtide - that is, unless you have anything more you wish to discuss with me?"

Acies was already going through her wardrobe and belongings in her mind, choosing outfits and objects she felt she might need - her thoughts a whirl of the coming challenge and not much set in the present at all. How quickly things change! Perhaps they change us as rapidly as well...? We shall have to see... for all these things, speculation is impossible. The only appropriate action at this time is, of course, action itself. And quick wits to complement our actions.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"What becomes of our connections is ultimately at the pleasure of the Queen." That is what Lady Vlast's mouth said in repsonse to her speculations. Her eyes however sparkled as one who has found a kindered spirit.

"Remember to pack light. There will be baggage handlers but not the retinue of servants you are no doubt used to." Lady Vlast paused a moment. "We ride to war. Choose who you bring with you carefully."

She placed her empty glass on the low table. "Thank you so much for your hospitality, Madam Maerret."

"The pleasure was ours, Lady." Her mother replied almost reflexively but with the proper warmth to mask it.

"Until the morrow, Acies. I shall send a servant to fetch you." She informed her. Unless stopped with further words, she will glide gracefully out of the room and leave Acies alone with her mother.[/i]
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Acies nodded at Lady Vlast's words, her mind a swirl of the possibilities this allowed her, of the changes this might bring, the opportunities. Part of her was girlishly considering, no fantasizing about the glory this might bring her house and name, of the clever situations she would win her way through, and of the strong men who would give anything for a moment of their time. Oh, how she would spurn them and laugh, and be so much more than they deserved. All silly fantasies, none of them with any bearing on reality - this was brought heavily to home, with Vlast's words, We ride to war.

That stopped her in her tracks. War. Yes.... let me not forget my family, my people - my purpose. This will not be a game, nor will it be simply a chance for you to show off, Acies - this will be a war and it must be taken with the seriousness that demands... The sobering thought brought her to her usually reserved outward appearance enough to offer Lady Vlast a formal and respectful curtsey as she left, and reply, "You have done me a great honour, my Lady. I look forward to the morningtide."

But as soon as the lady had taken her leave, the fire of excitement burned brighter in Acies' blood once more, and she could barely contain it - the morningtide seemed so far away! And yet there was so much to be done! How very much more exciting than any of those dull, flippant balls or dinners she had been to in the past! "Mother!" She virtually squeaked, all hint of reserve gone now that it was just her and family, and no outside eyes to impress - she had to actively prevent herself from hopping up and down on the spot with it, "The Great Ascent! And they want ME to be there! Can you believe it...? I don't have the first idea what to think...!"

This was, of course, an exaggeration - Acies always had plenty of ideas what to think, and usually had few qualms in voicing those thoughts for the benefit of others, provided it was always worded with great care and attention. But right now, without other eyes to impress, in this one moment she wanted to allow herself to truly feel and express her own passion and excitement. One moment in which she feasibly could allow it, before it was back to holding all those emotions cleverly in and only letting out what one wanted others to see. Before the morningtide came, and everything changed. Perhaps for always.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Her mother practically glowed with pride. "You were perfect, my dear. Absolutely perfect." She smiled wide and glided forward to take her hands. "All those years of training and pouring honied words in the right ears have finally paid off."

"Now to business." Her mother sobered swiftly. "Wardrobe and such I can leave to you. She said to travel light so the usual retinue due a lady of your stature simply won't do. Still you must have a bodyguard, a maid or two and several of the servants to fetch and carry, don't you think?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Acies took her mother's hands happily, a wide warm smile on her face, "Of course, mother, I couldn't have done it without you..." But it was me who did it, mother dear. And me who will face this challenge... This slight thought was dismissed rapidly, burned up by the glow of her growing excitement at this incredible opportunity - she dropped her mother's hands, and turned, clasping her fingers together rather nervously - too much energy and nowhere to put it. Soon. Soon there'll be plenty to do - plenty of challenge to meet and much for me to put my mind to. Wonderful! How utterly marvellous... I can barely bring myself to wait until the morningtide!

"Yes, yes..." Acies agreed in a slightly distracted tone, wringing her hands as her thoughts ran happy havoc and painted wonderful futures of all kinds in her mind's eye. She paused, put a hand to her forehead, took a deep breath, and then focussed her thoughts and attention with a certain sharpness that was her wont. Knife-edge sharp, excluding other, less important things such as the rage of happy emotions washing through her in a moment - she turned back to face her mother.

"A bodyguard - indeed. I do not know whom might be suitable for such a task - though I imagine by your suggestion you already have someone in mind, mother." She smiled as she said it, aware the women in her family had rarely been of the type to leave anything to chance, and always had a few plans and people they could turn to if the need arose. "As for a maid - I believe I would like to take Cecilia, given your permission. She is an excellent ladies' maid and I have grown rather attatched to her services." And she's very good at keeping her eyes open and her mouth shut. And, AND, she is loyal to me... It must be her. "And the other servants, well - would you mind very much if I left that up to you? You are always so spectacular at choosing the right person for the right task - and your contacts are enviable." And a little flattery goes a long way, with a bit of luck - choosing servants when I could be choosing dresses! I think not... All this spoken with the greatest of respect, naturally - it would not do to speak to one's elders and betters with anything but.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Acies was convinced she heard a muffled squeal of delight from the back of the gallery at the mention of Cecilia's name. Ears open and mouth not quite shut at present it would seem, though her mother gave no sign that she heard anything amiss.

"Leave it to me, darling child, Mother shall take of everything." She assured her still beaming. "Why don't you run along and take care of the little details while I handle the big picture for you?" She patted Acies's hand comfortingly. "Run along now. Leave it to me."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Run along now? Why, certainly, mother... I'd be happy to leave all that to you... Acies smiled, pleased she'd palmed the boring work off on to someone more qualified to do it, and replied in a carefully thankful and happy voice, "Thank you, I would be so grateful..." Acies gave her mother's hand a quick squeeze, and let a small, joyful smile pass over her face, and then turned to make her way out of the gallery and back to her own room, to begin packing in earnest. And she had heard that little squeak of excitement - that was something that she might have to deal with now, or let it spoil future endeavours to her own disadvantage. That would not do. Of course, Cecilia would make an ideal companion, and one she did not feel prepared to go without - but not if she kept up that sort of nonsense.

I shall have to speak with her. Doubtless she will catch up with me shortly - if she is any sort of ladies' maid she will. Acies mused, as she closed the door. She needs to learn to keep her tongue under better control if she is to eavesdrop on others' conversations... and while there is no error in that - after all, there are many times I have thanked her for such an action - it would do to have a little more discretion when operating, I feel...

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”