In the Darkness.... Yin & Alexandrya Samheen 23rd (Close

Moderator: Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

In the Darkness.... Yin & Alexandrya Samheen 23rd (Close

Post by Yin Lorin »

The foul smell of the hall way and destruction there did not hold well for the others, but there were no bodies there. He looked at the set table, perhaps the bodies were there. “I think the servants in the kitchen may have fixed the table and the room.” He shook his head. “I do not know what happened out here, but I do not see any sign of the others.”

He looked at the black doorway. “Shall we head there, into the darkness?”
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Alexandrya L`handriel »

Alexandrya looked wistfully one last time and then sighed softly, "If we must, and it seems like the only way, let us make haste and do so."

She held the torch and looked at Yin, "Perhaps you should find a torch as well?" She suggested as she eyed the dark doorway.
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Okay, time to split you off from the others I think. :)

IC: The torch from the hallway burned with a blue light that wasn't as strong as the torch that Alex held which burned with a yellow light. It was the one that Gavin had taken from his pack. Even with both torches and the light spilling in from the main hallway, the light barely dinted the darkness. The room was vast and pitch black. What light there was showed the same black walls they'd seen everywhere, though here the polished obsidian stone seemed to have flecks of color in it, small flakes of a golden color mostly.

No sounds reached their ears, save that of their own breathing and footsteps, the sputtering of the flame on the torch that Alex held. It was interesting to note that the blue flamed torch made no noise, gave off no heat and didn't emit a dark trail of greasy smoke.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

“This place does not feel right.” Yin said as they entered. He did not like how his torch did not act like hers, it was less substantial. He took the lead. His sword was out, his hand gripping it tightly. He tried to focus his eyes in the darkness and whispered a prayer to his god. “Please protect and watch over us.” He added to it as he quickly made the sign of Dominicus.

He tried to calculate all the ways they could be attacked, but in this darkness, there was no way to calculate it all. All he could do was be ready. “He dropped his torch and held out his hand. “Hold my hand, we should not be separated in this place. I will carry the sword, you carry the light. We just have to make sure to stay together. Is that ok? Do you trust me enough?”

Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The young Achadhiel nodded in agreement as she looked about. Her body tense as she prepared herself for any attacks that might suddenly appear. She looked at Yin, and replied softly, her voice sounding very strange in a place that was still very eerie especially with the yellow fire and the blue glow. "I hardly know you, but we have come this far. I watch your back and you watch mine."

Then she started to follow Yin as he advanced forward.
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The torch with the blue-casted light burned where it lay, providing illumination where they had been as they moved forward, the single yellow torch lighting up the area around them and about four paces ahead or to each side of them. As they walked forward, they left behind any sense of wall or containment, their footsteps echoing on the stone floor of the huge cavern-like area. Subtle changes in the pattarns on the stones could be seen, but it was part of such a large design that it was impossible to make out what it was.

On the two walked, with little or no change save the slight changes in the stone colors here and there. Finally, some hundred paces or more, a form began to grow in front of them. When they arrived, it was a series of broad shallow steps that led up to a massive throne. Covered or made of gold, it was set with an assortment of large stones - rubies, emeralds, diamonds, blue topaz and others. Most impressive, it looked as if it would hold a half-giant at least. It was certainly not designed for a human or the smaller races such as adhiel.

Unlike the entrance hall, here the air was cold, so that Yin and Alex could see their breath as puffs of smokey fog. A feeling of power eminated from the throne, almost like a thrumming feel that pulsed through the two traveler's bodies.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin held onto Alex’s hand as they walked to the throne. Was this the seat of their host. “Is anyone here?” Yin called out. He could feel the cold of the room but he did not let it get to him. His blood was rushing as he felt the power of the throne, like an aura that radiated from it.

He kept his eyes and ears sharp, listening for anyone to arrive. The size of the throne concerned him a bit, if the man who sat on that was their foe, it would not be an easy fight. He would have to really reach to get to a striking distance. And from the look of the throne, the foe would probably have a good amount of armor. “If this gets bad, you will have to run. I will hold it off as long as I can, but you need to keep safe. There is not telling what it would do to you.” He looked at her. “I would hate to think of your innocence being taken, My Lady.” He turned back to the throne, waiting for the Lord of this keep to show himself.

Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The silver-haired Achadhiel moved forward with Yin very cautiously. She would not even doubt that the place had the ability to continue to effect them. She frowned as they came upon a throne and nodded slowly, "Whoever sits here must be very frightening." She heard Yin's suggestion and shook her head, "I understand your intentions, Yin, and they are very noble, but I will not be able to do as you ask. If something happens then we shall weather it together. It is better for us to protect each other than to run away as a coward and perhaps get into more trouble."

She grinned and winked at Yin, "And besides, I do not mind saving you." It was her attempt at humor in an otherwise dour situation.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Large and seemingly empty, Yin's voice echoed through the hall. The only response was a soft fluttering sound like that of wind blowing through the leaves of trees. Spectacular in its design and ornamentation, the throne itself revealed no other attributes. Behind the impressive seat, dark red velvet drapes hung from so high that the torches didn't reveal the origins.

Above the two explorers, the blue sparks grew in density, the ceiling now a blue glowing shifting mass. Unfortunately, as neither Yin nor Alex were mages, they were oblivious to the activity above their heads.

Mostly, it was cold. And growing colder.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya had watched Yin then her gaze traveled back to the throne. "What is generating this cold?" She murmured to herself. "Yin, what do you make of this place..." She asked as she carefully made her way to the walls of this new hall to see if something can be discerned of where they are or what they were going to be up against.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He walked with her, his hand in hers, not wishing to separate now. “I do not know, perhaps it is the absence of life, of love. A corpse goes cold, and the air in a room will chill when it is filled with an evil spirit. Perhaps this place has evil, or that evil has come here.” How does one fight a spirit?

“Where does your faith lie, my Lady, what form of the god do you follow?” He asked, watching the room as she inspected the walls.

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The only walls close enough to see, let alone explore were those behind the throne, covered with the heavy red velvet drapes. Behind the curtains and directly behind the throne, there was no wall. Instead there was an entrance to a much smaller room.

Roughly circular, it gave the impression that it was made of glass as the flickering torchlight reflected off the rounded surfaces. Had it been light outside, one might be able to see the forest around them. Shadows danced at the edges of the light, shadows of what might have been plants or trees had they not been so bizarre and twisted. The shadowy shapes closest to them appeared to be rooted in beds of dirt set into the polished obsidian floor.

On the far side of this space, shadows indicated the possible existence of another entrance, or perhaps it was an exit. Around them, the air continued to grow colder, their breath coming out in small but distinct clouds of moisture which quickly dissipated.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He held onto her hand, the comfort her touch brought was very welcome. He could not help but think of her undressed, but he worked to keep the thought from his mind. She was lovely, like a summer morning or like the little fluffs of willow that floated in the air during the spring. Even in this cold air, it warmed him to have her close, even though he barely knew her. What he knew about her he liked. She stood by him when the others were leaving, she was sensible and caring, and she had a calm spirit.

He stepped closer to the shadows that looked to be the exit. “What does one find in the bottom of the darkest pit?” he stopped, looking around. “When one stares into the abyss, sooner or later, you see the abyss staring back.”

He looked at the woman. “My Pa always used to tell me never to fear the dark, because a shadow is only around as long as there is no light.” He calmed his mind, emptied himself. “In battle it is the fear that kills you. Once your forget to think, once you let the animal out, it twice as hard to put it back.” He was talking to keep himself from crying out, he could feel the fear on the edge, but you cannot think when you are afraid, you cannot reason. Right now, Yin needed to think, to keep a calm and clear head. “Nothing in the shadows can hurt us, as long as we do not allow it.”

Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya listened with half an ear as her sharp eyes slid over the throne and towards the back of it. "A spirit?" She murmured softly as she continued to explore with her eyes.

The young Achadhiel stopped a moment at Yin's question, "My faith?" She smiled and without hesitation replied, "To the One. He is my strength and the one that guides me out of trouble."

Yin continued to hold her hand as she held the torch. She did notice the shadows moving about with a bit of that spooky quality, but Alexandrya tried to push that from her mind. "The shadows were never what I feared. It was what gave me comfort and...control." A sweet little smile appeared and then she was all business again.

"Yin, perhaps we should check out the inner room." She moved cautiously towards the shapes but not too close. "These are giving me a forboding feeling. We need to figure out what the purpose of the room is..." Then she nodded towards the smaller room, "...And that one as well."

She stopped for a moment and looked at Yin, "If you wish to split up we can cover more ground, but honestly, it might be more safe to stick together."
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

“I do not think we should split.” He said looking at her, his green eyes meeting hers. “I am glad you follow the true God, it brings more peace to my soul. We should stay together; our combined faith will give us strength.”

He looked at the room. “Yes, lets look about the rooms more, find out what this place is for. Also let’s find the creator of this place.” He stopped. “Perhaps the creator is no longer here, just his ghosts.”

He walked with her to investigate the room, looking for any clue as to what it is for, or what the small room was for.

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the two moved into the bubble like room, a slight rustling noise came from just ahead of them. The limited light of the torch revealed vegetation of some sort, very alien to anything either had seen before and it was all varying shades of black. Row after row of the strange growth marched in checkerboard pattern and it seemed to follow the progress of Yin and Alex as they moved by. While some were somewhat similar to corn stalks, others were thin tall shoots ending in an explosion of the finest long filament like fronds, while yet other were more bush like with what must have been flowers dotted on them.

The dark space ahead indeed showed itself to be an open entryway, but As they moved forward the darkness beyond began to glow faintly purple. The further on they pressed, the colder the air became so that by now, fingers and toes and noses were feeling numb. At the doorway, a row of thick plant growth about waist high blocked the entrance.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin held onto the sword, at least he hoped he was still holding on. “It is getting colder.” He said, pointing out the obvious. He looked at the woman he held hands with, trying to keep her hand warm. “Do you wish to press on?” he asked.

She must have been shivering, women always grew colder then men quicker. He looked at the reeds around them, and hacked hard with his sword to cut a path. “It would be nice to have some warm wool clothing.”

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The words still echoing through the hall, Yin found his cold armor instantly exchanged for thick warm woolens, britches and a sweater which blocked out the increasing chill nicely. Around them, the plant-like growths rustled and swayed as if blown by a wind, a wind that did not exist.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya nodded to Yin's mention of her beliefs but her own thoughts were of warm clothes. Woolen skirts, shirt and jacket and a warm scarf for her throat came into her mind as she shivered with cold. The heat from Yin's body did help keep her hand from being completely icy.

She took in the plant-like growths and looked about to see if he could get through the growth with his sword. "It is getting colder." She gulped as she used Yin as a shield from the wind that did not exist.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Not a flicker after Yin's transformation into warm cothing, Alex followed, decked out in a fashionable but warm outfit that had previously resided only in her mind. Around them, the soft rustling continued.

As they stood surveying their surroundings, something grabbed hold of the woman's ankle and pulled visciously. Knocking her to the ground, the torch tumbled out of her hands as her assailant began to pull her off to one side, towards a section of the quasi-vegetation that was larger than the rest.

Yin felt Alex's attack before he saw it, her hand quickly yanked away from his. The torch fell near his feet and when he turned his head to look, in the dim light he could see what looked like a vine of some twisted sort. It had wrapped itself firmly around Alex's ankle several times and wringling like a snake, was dragging her away.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin did not think, he acted. He jumped grabbing for Alex. “Hold on.” He slashed at the vine with his sword. His hands sought a place to hold onto, to keep the woman from being taken. He grabbed for her wrist to hold on, digging his heels into the dirt.

Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The silver-haired Achadhiel gasped as the wind was knocked out of her. She tried to shake her mind clear as she was starting to be pulled. Her grip on the torch was lost and also Yin. She looked about frantically to find something to imped the vine that had twisted around her ankle.

Yin tried to grab her and Alexandrya tried to grab ahold of him. The sword's goal to slash through the vine. I need my torch! "Yin, get that torch, maybe fire can also help with your sword's edge. Hurry!!" She screamed out hoping that it would indeed help with her current problem.

She herself willed a torch in her hand, if it worked she would try to sit up while the plant pulled her, and would try to burn off the portion that was attached to her leg. If anything she felt like a rubberband being pulled in two directions. A rather unenjoyable experience.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The torch proved to be unnecessary in freeing Alex. The sword sliced cleanly through the thick vine, which pulled back leaving a trail of black ichor in its wake. However, half a dozen other vines were snaking their way across the floor towards the pair, curled tips searching back and forth for something to grab hold of.

In fact, the vines now came from behind them as well. The only area that seemed to be free of them was the direction of the soft violet light that glowed from the center of the room. One of the smaller vines deftly grabbed hold of Yin's ankle and tried to yank him down.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Turning his hips Yin struck at the one grabbing for him. He pulled on Alex to help her to her feet while trying to stay on his. “Head for the light.” He said as he started to hack at the encroaching vines.

He pulled on Alex to put her a head of him while still trying to hold onto her, the could not be broken up now, who knows where these things would take them.

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Sharp metal blade sliced easily through the vegetation, freeing both Yin and Alex from the numerous grasping vines. The numbers grew fewer however as they moved towards the soft light. And the air grew warmer. Gradually at first, then more noticeably as they moved further in, warmth that removed the frost from their breath and the tingle from their cheeks and noses.

The two passed through an area of desolation, where nothing grew, about 20 paces long and then the indoor garden reasserted itself. Now however, the vegetation was what they were used to seeing, not the bizarre strangeness that had tried to ensnare them.

In the center of this area, a fist sized purple stone of a crystaline nature, sat atop a small pillar that came up about waist high. It radiated both light and warmth, though the stone itself was not hot to the touch, rather it was cool, smooth and pleasant to the touch.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “Erulzat Archives”