Thin on the ground ~ Samheen 24th ~ Tradetide

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Thin on the ground ~ Samheen 24th ~ Tradetide

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hope the rumours from the Inn are okay, been reading the bazaar thread and just added some details like most sources of rumour do.

Since having spoke with Professor Chaotxi he hadn't yet had time to sit down to look through the instructions that he had provided on the location he wanted investigated. The work in the library, plus reading for upcoming lessons had all filled his time that morning. His elementalism class this afternoon had apparently been rescheduled while the Professor's remaining behind got together to sort out who would be teaching what or who was heading to the surface.

Indeed it seemed that it wasn't just a number of the Professor heading to the surface as the packs he had seen a number of students carrying seemed to indicate. Indeed even his own dorm room had been affected with some of Ssinith's chaos having been packed up or even removed from their dorm room.

The talk of the inn at lunch had been about the events at the bazaar and how a Professor from the Guild had rebuked people for not moving to sign-off immediately. Apparently after but a lone individual had not only signed up for the expedition but offered up some of his own funds to help finance equipping himself and others for the task. The Professor had then go onto to offer his own services to the expedition, and been immediately offered a officer's position due to his magic skills.

The whole thing made Gilanor snort, first the gods of the city had dragged a batch of Adhiel off to somewhere. Then gotten them killed in an argument with another god, now they wanted more people to go off and fight against the followers of the same god that had killed the first set they had made vanish. Seemed like the gods really didn't care about their people as such they were willing to keep spilling their lives one after another until they got what they wanted.

He was truly glad that he had taken decided to follow his heart and stay in the guild at this time. At the rate the Gods kept getting them killed off he likely would be hard pressed to find a skilled professor before long so he needed to make the most of the time he had available. If he had known a bit more about this expedition before the Professor had left, he would have perhaps dared a few words to try and dissuade him from leaving on it.

As he considered the last conversation he had with the Professor, he drew out the scroll of instruction he had left with him. Looking at it thoughtfully for a moment, he unrolled it and started to read over the instructions he had left behind. Hopefully he be able to make sense enough of the puzzle to make progress in the matter. Though he already predicated that some of it might not make much sense until he had investigated the passages at least in part.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Unrolling the scroll, Gilanor found it titled at the top: Onion Dip.

First chop away the top and bottom of your onion to allow access to the layers beneath. Be certain to peel away the first layer and discard. Avoid contaminating your eyes as it will cause tears.

Next comes the slicing and dicing into small bits with a sharp blade. A sturdy cutting block may be of use.

Next take the aged cream (follow directions on page LCD to make aged cream) and mix well with dill and fresh mushrooms, black or blue gilled will work.

Combine the herbed cream and onion stirring a spiral whiddershins with a earthen spoon until your task is complete.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gilanor read over the instructions for a moment, and couldn't help but smile certainly his Master, had skill for deception. For if this was instructions as to how to find what he had mentioned it certainly was remarkable well disguised as to its nature. Though certainly the receipe for the dip might well come in handy as Gilanor was getting sick of the simple meals he had been consuming of late, the dip with bread might be a nice treat.

"Layer's beneath." Gilanor whispered softly, as he centred himself, and tried to surrender to the energies of the Aether. He wanted to see if his Master had left energies shrouded within the parchment itself, that might tell him what layer's of the text to ignore. Though perhaps it might well be the whole thing itself, and not just words or letters within the sentences of these instructions.

<i>Light, shadow and earth. What of layers do you hold?</i> Gilanor mentally asked himself, as he let the energies of the parchment impress themselves on his awareness.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

At first, Gilanor saw nothing remarkable about the parchment to his Aether senses. It was merely paper, faint lines of earth and life that spoke of the mushroom fibers the paper was made from. Several burns of searching showed nothing extra or unexpected.

Stepping back from the hunt for a moment, Gilanor realized that while there was nothing added, there was something missing. About a fingerswidth on the top and bottom of the scroll had no energies about them at all.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

<i>That could be the top and bottom layers the instructions refer to could it not.</i>

Gilanor consider the possibilities for a moment before taking up another sheet of parchment and noting the instructions of the dip down in his own hand. He wasn't sure if the puzzle was completely in what was concealed so better to make sure that he had the original text available in case he needed to consult it.

Once he was done he need to try two other things before he progressed, first see if he could see beneath the areas where the energy was removed. The professor might have shrouded or shielded additional energies to conceal the weaves of clue that he had left behind. Perhaps even taking a trip to Daimon place might prove of benefit, in that it might make the senses of any earth energies hidden under the shrouding that much easier. Or perhaps allow for the detection of energies of ink left within the interior of the parchment possible.

The directions now seemed to point towards the physical destruction of this parchment in a particular fashion. Cutting away the top and bottom sections of the parchment where there was no energy, to allow him to peel back the outer layer of the parchment. The avoid contaminating the eyes could refer to either the step he had just taken with the examination of the parchment with Aether senses instead of the eyes as he had already done. Or it could refer to both that examination and precautions that need to be taken in regards to the peeling of the outer layer.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

There was nothing further to be seen from his Aetheric senses involving the parchment. However, closer inspection with his waking eyes showed a thin film of clear laquer over the top and bottom of the scroll which was dead to his magickal senses. There were tiny black flecks in it, hard to see against the dark fiber of the paper.

From time to time, little flashes of what could be magickal energy appear in the dead section but they are snuffed out so quickly that Gilanor is not even sure he really saw them.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

<i>Perhaps I need to know more about laquer before I take any further action</i>

Gilanor thought after a moment of considering a few approaches that he could take. He was greatly tempted to try peeling back the laquer with the tip of his dagger or via a weave yet there may yet be a better method in dealing with it.

<i>Be certain to peel away the first layer and discard.</i>

The words could refer to the laquer, but how to be sure that he would only be peeling away the top layer....

There was so many, however, and if in all his thoughts yet to prevent his careless destruction of the instructions wouldn't the professor have taken the simple approach of the lacquer merely hiding the words underneath. This could be why the flecks of black were visible, the lacquer covering over the words written on the parchment. The shrouding of the energies there to draw his attention to the fact that the lacquer was present at all.

Yet the professor might expect more of him than a simple scrapping back of the lacquer of doing so might destory the words or code underneath. Yet the small pieces could be a reference to the means of removal, with the reference meaning the lifting the lacquer in small sections should preventing the destruction of the instructions.

He could continue with all the what if and where fores until the professor came back but he need to decide on a course of action. Tilting the parchment to the light he tried to determine how thick a layer he was dealing with along the top edge.

Perhaps he could experiment with removing a normal laquer from a sheet of parchment to confirm, or perfect a method of removal before he attempted it on the professors instructions. The alchemy labs might supply the materials for the construction of a lacquer that he could use for testing his theories.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The layer of lacquer was so thin his eyes could not really see a thickness. If there were multiple layers, they were not immediately apparent. Gilanor was pretty sure the the lacquer itself was clear and the little black flecks were a substance embedded in it.

Examining the scroll edge on though, it seemed thicker than a usual scroll he'd find in the library or be given to write on.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

So it looks like the simple answer in this case might just be the correct one. The lacquer is just to mark the location of the sections to cut away, and the deadening of the energies is to draw my attention to them.

I need to make sure the parchment isn't going to slip while I'm cutting these sections.

Taking a look at the desk in the room he wondered if using it as a cutting board would leave any marks on its surface. If anyone came looking through his room he didn't want them wondering exactly what he had been cutting up on it. If not that than he might have to make use of gear from the alchemy lab in cutting off the sections.
[/i]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Like most furniture in Gulanadur, Gilanor's desk was made of shaped stone and should hold up against any blade he would choose to use. The desks and tables of the alchemy labs were of course thciker and resistant to caustics and flames. They were also covered in small nicks and bruns such that another wouldn't be noticed. His own desk was not in the best of shape for that matter. Either should be more than adequate to the task.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Putting the majority of items that had been on his desk out of the road of the work ahead. Gilanor set the parchment down in front of him at an angle, then taking one of the heavier texts he had borrowed from the library he set it down on top of the flatten scroll to hopefully serve to brace the scroll from any small movements while he worked.

With the tip of his dagger he planned to slowly cut along the line between the lacquer and the uncoated parchment. Focusing on the task at hand he drew on the same patience he had made use of with his endless examinations of the energy forms. With slow steady breathes he worked to keep his excitement that he could feel trying to well up inside him from coming through into his movements. Now was not the time for any rash actions, and this next careful step of removing the top and bottom of the scroll was likely not going to be last step before he had the professor's instructions. Leaning as close as he could to help him see the differences in the textures clearly without shadowing the surfaces he set to work.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The work was slow but steady. Gilanor's attention to detail and deft hands allowed him to pare away the laquer from the top layer of parhment.

The moment it was seperated the top layer of the parchment flared into life under his magic sight. A intricate ward inscribed in green energy flowed across the page from the top down until it suddenly stopped three quarters of the way down the page, unfinished. The runic ward itself is not familiar to Gilanor but the energies felt sickly and unhealthy.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

A waiting trap if the individual tampering with it doesn't follow the instructions provided. At least I hope that's what is it, and it doesn't mean that I've messed up following the Professor's instructions.

Lifting the book away Gilanor was carefully not to touch any area of the energised parchment. Once it was clear he set the book down out of the road before picking up the parchment via the section that the ward hadn't extended along, intenting to turn the parchment around so that the bottom edge was closest to him. Not sure if setting the book down on the parchment with the ward energies flowing over it was a good idea he decided he'd skip that step in his procedure.

Once the parchment was settled on the desk once again he'd repeat the process he had just followed with the top section of the parchment. He'd just have to make sure he took the work even more carefully to ensure that he didn't need to anchoring weight of the book.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Gilanor found cutting away the bottom layer to be as easy as slicing away the top. The moment the lacquer layer was removed from the bottom, Gilanor saw the green ward flare and crackle with energy. Gilanor could hear sizzling from beneath the parchment and smell an acrid char. The ward itself was no longer visible. Its energies were spent.

Should Gilanor remove the parchment, he will find two smoking holes about a fingertip deep in his desk. They were spaced maybe a fingertip apart. Judging from how the parchment was laid, those holes would correspond to where a person's eyes would be if they were reading the scroll.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Picking up the scroll to carefully examine the end sections of it, Gilanor paused as he saw the holes burnt into the surface of the stone desk. After a flicker he nodded to himself, the Professor was truely serious about protecting the contents of the scroll that he had provided to Gilanor. Either this was for his own safety or for Gilanor's in case anyone investigated the scroll before Gilanor had the chance to do so.

Setting the impact the energies of the ward had inflicted upon his workdesk he turned his attention to the end of the scroll. The additional thickness might well be due to section of parchment being doubled over on itself, so he examined the end of the scroll carefully to see if could seperate the layers of parchment without risking further damage to the scroll.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Careful examination showed there was a second sheet of parchment beneath the trapped first layer. It was unremarkable to his magic sight just simple mushroom paper.

When Gilanor was satisfied enough to remove that middle sheet and look upon it, he found a rough map of tunnels and chambers starting from a letter L. Scrawled in the corner was the following note.

"Onion dip was not to your taste I see. The recipe contains clues to your route. They will make sense as you encounter the appropriate rooms. Good luck. C"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Don't think I need to take this thread too much further, will move all his activities to the 26th shortly.

Gilanor smiled at his Master's comment and took a few marks to look over the map that his careful work had at last delivered to him.

It seems my Master hadn't over estimated me after all

Pleased that he hadn't made a mess of retrieving the map from its hiding place, Gilanor took a few flickers to congratulate himself. As he did so a thought came to him, and he picked up the basic student text he had been provided and compare the length of the scroll map against the length of its cover. He'd need a hiding place for this scroll, and one that he could keep with him without anyone commenting about it. Perhaps hiding it under the covering of a text might be suitable. Either that or he could acquire a protective cover for the text and hide it under a more easily removeable layer when he needed it.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A little bit of judicious trimming and the map will easily fit inside the cover of the book. So long as no one looks over his shoulder, they'd never know he wasn't studying a particuarly difficult passage in the basic text.

OOC: Seems like a good stopping point to me. I'll lock and skill unless you have anything else.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Agree.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread Skilled.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”