A Cultural Encounter - Samheen 23rd, EE

Moderator: Mods

Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

A Cultural Encounter - Samheen 23rd, EE

Post by Aislinn O`Conaill »

Scatha wrote: "Meilin... that's a pretty name," Scatha said with a smile. She followed the girl as she showed her around the bathing areas, absorbing all of the sights and scents and sounds of her surroundings. She grinned as Meilin stumbled over her words in the washing area; "You mean I have to get clean before I can get in the pool?" She glanced at the cool, clear water, and then at her hands and fingernails, which still contained traces of grime from Dort. "It's probably a good idea." With that, Scatha sat down on the floor, tugged her boots off, and wriggled out of her tight leather trousers before scrambling back on to her feet. "Just the blouse to go," she said cheerfully, and pulled it over her head before dropped it on the floor. She grinned at Meilin, quite naked, and suddenly felt something sticking out of her hair; it was the tiara, now dnagling precariously. Scatha burst out laughing, and pulled it free; "All jewellry and no knickers, as my aunt Flossie would say," she said, handing it to Meilin.

She considered the girl's questions; "The Rafao? Oh, the Duke of Dort sent me here to look after Barrett - thats the man I came here with - and make sure he didn't get into any trouble. You know what boys are like, always getting lost and embarrassing themselves in front of polite society," she said dismissively. "Now, about this cleaning... what happens next?"

Meilin accepted the garments, carefully folding them and setting them aside, though a wistful fingertip ran along the trousers when she thought Scatha wasn't looking. She seemed used to nakedness, and did not even seem distracted by the other's pale skin. When handed the Tiara, the young slave asked, "Are you a princess lady?" and gently set the glittering object down atop the clothes.

Meilin nodded in shy agreement to the comment about boys, and gestured to the stool by the countertop of flowing water. She retrieved an ornate bowl large enough for Scatha's feet, dipped it into the warm water, and sprinkled several salts in it before setting it on the pale tile at the Dort woman's toes. "You need only to wash hands and feet, Lady... before entering the pool... but you may bathe as much more as you wish. Avelina requested I show you every courtesy...." The tile on the floor was small, but lacking in the decoration that the rest of the room had, it was also slightly inclined, so that all spilled water slipped its way towards a small drain.

"May I?" The slave knelt next to Scatha, and while the 'Lady' soaked her feet, Meilin proceeded to scrub her hands with a slightly rough soap that left her skin fresh and smooth. After several minutes of massaging, tracing a relaxing pattern along each muscle and joint, Meilin motioned for Scatha to rinse her hands, and then followed this with a gentle lotion-like soap, using a small brush to cleanse the nails.

Tentative, as if afraid Scatha might still berate her for the familiarity, she asked, "Aunt Flossie? You seem too grown up to have to worry about aunts... Where is Dort.. is it nice?" As she listened, the girl began to repeat the process on Scatha's feet, taking more time to massage the muscles as if wishing to prolong any relaxed talkativeness the foreigner might be feeling.

"Have you seen the palace at all? I have never been to the archives... they never let slaves like me there... the Archivist is very protective of his papers... But the Golden Palace has many more fun things to see than a stuffy room like that... there are the gardens... and the bestery.. beastiry? beastiary.. I always forget their fancy word for it... and the kitchens..." She glanced at Scatha, ducking her head in embarrassment and mumbling. "Sorry Lady, you probably are not likely to be interested in the kitchens..."

Once hands and feet where scoured, softened and massaged, Meilin would either aid Scatha is soaping up the rest of herself (taking care of the Dort woman's back) and helping her to rinse by pouring a hefty bucket of water over her. Meilin was also prepared to help Scatha wash her hair, but at any point Scatha was ready to dive into the pool, she was now free to enter it.

The water was slightly cool, now that she had felt the warm water of washing, and though it was certainly smaller than a lake - it was not an insubstantial size by any means. Although the bathing pool was in a semi-circular shape, it could easily have contained her bedroom in it's largest curve. There was one entrance of descending steps, at one point of the quarter-moon shape, the rest of the pool was surrounded by hanging vines and large leafy potted plants. It gave the air an earthy, tropical scent, refreshingly free of the spicy tang that normally hovered in the air.

Scatha would find ample space to swim, but there were niches in which she could sit and relax along the side of the pool, and yet still remain in the water. The smooth stone that surfaced the area was gentle on hands and bare skin, lacking the roughness of most rock.
Last edited by Aislinn O`Conaill on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What does not destroy me, makes me stronger. Friedrich Nietzxche

theoriginalcousinit@yahoo.com
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"A princess?" Scatha burst out laughing. "Oh no, not at all. I'm just a farm girl from Dort... although if I got the chance to marry a prince, I suppose I'd become a princess. I met a handsome young prince once, but he was too busy fighting battles to be interested in me." She raised one eyebrow as Meilin placed her feet in the bowl of salty water, and then giggled as the girl started scrubbing her hands; "That tickles!" It did tickle, but it was rather pleasant at the same time. Still, it was odd having someone clean you , and Scatha wasn't entirely sure that she approved. The Mother gave us two hands and soap, her aunts used to say, along with various running commentaries on how every young lady always made sure they used those two hands and the soap to look lovely and fresh as a spring day. Scatha was quite sure that none of her aunts used soap, as most of them looked like a dull grey winters afternoon rather than a spring day, and besides she didn't recall anything about the Mother saying your should use the two hands and soap to wash behind your ears, and don't forget the cherry juice stains on the corner of your mouth.

Scatha considered Meilin's questions; "Oh, my aunt Flossie is lovely... a bit strict at times, but thats because she worries about me. My other aunts are dreadful... I think anyone would worry, if they had thm as relatives. You should see my aunt Morrigan make toast in the mornings - she just breathes on it. And Dort..." Scatha mused for a moment; "Dort is... different, much different from here. It's cool, and moist, and full of mists, but it has green lush fields and soft hills, and meres as clear and as blue as the Mother's eyes... I miss it sometimes." She did miss it, she realised - but she wasn't ever going to go back there, not while there was still her wicked aunt Etain looking to marry her off to dull as ditchwater Fergal Macalla. "Maybe I'll go back when I marry my handsome young prince." She smiled at Melin; "You should come and see it with me."

Scatha listened with interest to the girl's description of the palace; "I've hardly seen anothing of the place, although what I have seen is very lovely - I think you're very lucky to work here. And I like gardens, especially when they have fruit growing in them - perhaps you'll be able to show them to me sometime." Seeing that Meilin was finshed with her hands, Scatha stepped out of the bowl, and looked longingly at the pool; "Last one in is a bad egg," she said cheerfully, and fell backwards into it with a smack.

Surfacing, she scraped the hair back from her face, then slowly paddled around in it, enjoying the sensation of the cool water against her skin. It was delicious; she'd not realised how hot it was until now. Eventually she swam to the side, and settled in a niche, up to her neck in water, and fairly close to Meilin; "Come and sit with me," she invited. "And tell me, what's a bestiary...?"
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

"Maybe I'll go back when I marry my handsome young prince." She smiled at Melin; "You should come and see it with me."

"Of course lady..." Meilin bowed her head in response, unwilling to explain to the foreigner that her life would very likely be limited to the palace and the nearby city for many years to come. Although outwardly content, her contact with Scatha suggested somewhat more interest in things than would be outwardly seemly to most natives - slaves were usually supposed to hold their tongues.

As Scatha splashed about in the lake, the young slave knelt by the edge, a towel within reach and branches full of leaves arcing over her head. When the Dortenese woman curled up within and by the side of the pool, Meilin herself grinned back somewhat shyly. The slaves bathed elsewhere, of course, so she could not enter the water itself, but she knee-walked close enough for comfortable conversation.

"The beastiary Lady?" The idea of this seemingly 'sophisticated' foreigner not knowing, gave the young slave a brief sense of pride, eager to share and explain even as she hung on every word of Scatha's own. "It is a wonderous place, Lady... it is full of <i>beasts</i>... all manners of creatures. Not so many from Amun Rah itself, but there are eagles from the Western Kingdom, and bats from some of your Isles.. and... I really don't know what all of them are, but they are amazing!" She fell silent, perhaps aware of her rattling on. After a moment, something Scatha had said earlier produced a puzzled expression on her own face.

"Lady - you said something about finding your prince - but... is he not the Master that accompanied you to the baths? <i>He</i> seemed handsome to me...." and then Meilin's youthful eyes darted to Scatha's, wondering if her observation had treaded on improper boundaries.

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha listened with interest to Meilin's commentary about the bestiary; it sounded a lot like a travelling menagerie she'd seen once in Kittywich, full of unusual creatures that had been trained to perform tricks. She couldn't imagine what tricks you could teach a bat, though. "I would very much like to see this bestiary," she said thoughtfully. "I am sure there would be all sorts of creatures I've never seen before. I'm not sure I like the idea of wild creatures being kept in cages, though - it always makes me feel sorry for them. I'd hate to be trapped in a cage. It's different for domestic creatures, like sheep or hens, they don't know any different, but it must be awful for eagle to look at the open sky, and want to stretch its wings... and not be able to."

Scatha swished the water around her, brooding on such melancholy thoughts, until she heard Meilin's comments about Barrett. She emitted a shriek of incredulous laughter, felt her bottom slip on the tiles, and slipped under the water in a semi-drowned fit of giggles. She re-surfaced in a flurry of water and half-gasped laughter; "Barrett? A handsome prince??" Scatha nearly choked and fell back into the water, floating lazily on the surface and thrashing gently. When she had quite composed herself, she tried to answer Meilin's question.

"Barrett is most definitely not a prince, and he certainly isn't my handsome prince." She tried to consider her fellow Dortman objectively; "He's not bad, I suppose," she said eventually. "But he's only interested in books and dusty parchments, and he uses too many long words to be a prince. My prince doesn't use long words at all - he just feeds me cherries all day long, and uses his soft warm lips to kiss the juice off mine." Scatha felt a delicious shiver run through her at the thought of this, and ducked her head under the water to quell the sensation. She threw her head back, letting the sodden hair flip wetly against her back. "And he isn't interested in books, unless they are stories that I like, about farm girls rescuing handsome princes, and then he will read them to me while he feeds me cherries, and he'll kiss me in between pages." The image of the handsome prince Balthazar slowly leaning over her and kissing her with warm, soft cherry flavoured lips was quite enthralling, and Scatha gave an involuntarily shudder of delight at the idea. "But first - you have to find your prince," she said, swimming slowly to the edge of the pool. "And I have to find mine. Actually," she said thoughtfully, "I did find him - but then I lost him. That was careless."

Scatha hauled herself out of the pool in a spray of water, and shook her hair out of her eyes; "And now... I think I ought to get dry, and see this bestiary. Who knows - I might even find my prince in there..."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

<i>Samheen 23rd, Early Evening-tide</i>

Meilin grinned shyly at Scatha's description of her prince, a girlish, fluttery sigh slipping from between her lips. This was quickly replaced with a look of consternation, the slave girl's nose wrinkling up into her brow. Whatever thoughts she had concerning her own 'prince' remained locked behind her young eyes.

"You lost your prince? How? Did your Aunt scare him away?" Meilin blinked the spray of water away from her face as she approached Scatha from behind, catching the brunt of Scatha's shaking. Carefully, she wrapped Scatha in a huge towel and led her back into an alcove near the washing area. While they had been by the pool, someone had shaken out Scatha's clothes and brushed them clean. Meiling glanced at her charge and bowed slightly. "Your clothes have been freshened, Lady, and someone measured them so you will have garments for the morrow. Alevina instructed us so..."

All of Scatha's possessions were still in her pockets, but if she took the time to notice - the contents had been inadvertantly switched from one side to the other.

Once Scatha was dressed and had primped and readied herself as much as she desired, (Meilin offered a fragrant talc powder that would help skin dry before any clothes were put on), Meilin slipped on some light slippers. These were obviously not meant for outdoor wear, clearly designating Meilin as a house slave, and not meant for grunt labor.

The stiff formality that Meilin had first given Scatha had faded - the foreign woman was not so stiff and conceited as most of Meilin's charges were - and so the young slave's grin was slightly impish as she gestured towards the door they had entered. Her tone was quietly gleeful, but her darting eyes watched Scatha with an innate wariness, in case she went too far with her informality.

"If I'm taking you there I don't even have to sneak in! The Keeper's will be bristling, but they won't be able to do a thing about it!" Though she did not laugh aloud, her eyes danced slightly in Scatha's direction. "I do not think your prince is a gnarly slave or four-footed beast, but I suppose it cannot hurt to look for him there..."

Now that they were out among the hallways, Meilin fell rather silent as they walked, her eyes glancing to note if other slaves were watching. Being improper was one thing - being improper where someone might <i>see</i> and punish her later - well, that was another thing entirely. If spoken to, however, she felt free to answer any questions Scatha might ply her.

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha rubbed off most of the moisture using the towel, and the days heat took care of the rest. She ran her infgers through her hair, getting rid of most of the knots, and resisted the temptation to tie it up in two bunches; peering into her shimmering reflection in the pool, she decided that she actually looked half presentable with it down. "How did I lose my prince? Ah - actually, he sent me to deliver a message to someone, and I was supposed to travel though a magical portal, like the one that brought me here. Only the portal didn't work, and it carried me away from him, and took me back home." She tugged on her clothes absently minded, not noticing that things had been mo0ved from one pocket to the other, though she did make sure she still had the crystal. "In fact, he probably doesn't even remember me." It was probably true, she reflected sadly; Balthasar probably saw dozens of pretty farm girls every day, and there would be bound to be one like Daisy Applebottom who would be prepared to take him round the back of the cow shed. She pursed her lips; my one chance at a genuine prince, and he has to be fighting a war against some stupid orcs instead of paying attention to me... Life seemed very unfair. "Oh well," she said eventually. "I suppose I'll just have to find myself another one. They are ten a banner, so I'm told." She grinned at Meilin; "I don't suppose you've got any spare princes lying around Amun Rah, have you?"

She followed the girl thorugh the hallways, grinning at the description of her prince in the bestiary; "He might not be in there, but I bet my aunts might be," she remarked with a smile...

OOC : happy to leave it at that, to tie up loose ends and allow the timestamp jump!
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

sKiLLs:

Conversation: +*
Beautification: +*
Swimming: +* (To next level!)

New skill:
Knowledge [Princes]: Basic
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”