The Royal Troops of the One [Samheen 26th]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The Royal Troops of the One [Samheen 26th]

Post by Maeve »

It was on the border of T'aquar, just in the Barony of Murrelbuck over at the Howling Ice Mountains. For several tides now legions had been arriving through large portals from all over the kingdom.

The air sparkled with the abundance of magickal energy and the portals hissed and groaned with the heavy work, their magisters frowing and sweating as they ran around to keep the machines in working order. The thunder of marching feet resounded within the earth for miles away. The field was awash with colorful uniforms from all corners of the Western Kingdom; uniforms that indicated both men on foot and of course the cavalry, but none of the famed Condotierre's airships which were engaged elsewhere.

In the middle of all the chaos stood a large white pavilion, guarded by a unit of Kingstone Guards and one single paladin.

OOC: This thread has been created for PC's from the Western Kingdom. Should anyone of Taquar wish to join in or scout the vicinity of the border country please know that you'd do so at your own risk :twisted:
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Michel Carbonneau
Commander of the Kings Court Army

Post by Michel Carbonneau »

Although Michel knew how the portals worked and he had travelled with one before, he had still prepared himself as if he was going on a long journey when he was still in Pax. The time of the journey was lessened, but the distance was still very tangible in his mind. As he finally stepped into the portal, he felt the magic grabbing hold of him, doing things to his body and soul that he would never be able to fully comprehend. He didn't like the feeling, he felt out of control, every fibre of his existence telling him that he should panic. But just right before he was about to give in to that feeling, right before he was about to panic, he could feel the magic releasing him again. He felt the air on his lips and gladly he opened his mouth to fill up his lungs with the fresh air.

Stepping away from the portal, Michel switched the reins of his horse to his other hand, he brushed the horse's manes, letting it take it's time to take in the surroundings. The horse seemed to be fine with the magical way of travelling however and it was Michel who could use a flicker to calm down.

He then went on and reported himself to one of the guards at the portal and took a place in the open space next to the portal. He would wait for his men to come through the portal before he would report at the pavilion. Once everyone was settled, he would report himself at the Kingstone Guard and the one paladin. "Michel Carbonneau, Captain of the Pax Honestus, arriving from Pax."
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe. We've come to be the rulers of you all.

Avatar by permission of Amok. [url]http://amok-koma.ru/[/url] ~ eyepatch made by Ulder, with permission of Amok.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Michel's units came in at a walking pace, their horses slightly restless. Their scarlet and black uniforms looked magnificent in the late tradetide sun. Since the Pax Honestus was a legion that didn't exist till a few days ago everything was still very fresh and free of wrinkles, the metal shining like silver. In fact, the official uniforms did not arrive till a few marks ago.

Most of the men were glad for the diversion. They had joined the kings legions because they wanted to fight and Pax Balthasar looked more like a babysit operation, or perhaps that of a prison ward. Building barracks, walking patrols around the city. It held all the promise of a long dreary winter to come. Yet they escaped all that. They were joining the War of the One as the men called it in hushed whispers. First T'aquar, then the rest of the world, should learn about the dominance of the One God Dominicus like the crusades of old. They were invincible.

The paladin saluted Michel sharply "Captain Carbonneau, you were expected. Sir Uther Dahz, of the Royal Paladin Order. The king is inside with his other officers." He moved away the cloth of the entrance so that Michel could step in.

Candles lit up the pavilion. Blond and dark haired heads were bent over a large wooden field table that contained several maps. "Your Highness," Sir Dahz announced "Captain Carbonneau at your pleasure." A head full of long blond curls looked up. The face of a young man, no older than 18, with ice blue eyes that lit up strangely as if there was a fey light behind them. His face was glowing softly with slightly red cheeks with kindness at the corner of his mouth that perhaps was not always there. The king, for there could be no doubt who he was, was wearing a black leather uniform with silver lining, the secret operative version of the Kingstone Guards. He looked at Michel expectantly.

Meanwhile the other officers at the table looked at Michel with less friendly eyes, varying from outright hostility to a distant, somewhat haughty look. Michel after all was new to his position and had yet to earn the respect of his bretheren where he already had ample opportunity to earn their jealousy with his appointment as the commander of the prestigeus Pax Honestus legion.
Last edited by Maeve on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Michel Carbonneau

Michel looked with pride at his men. He shared their feelings as he too felt better when confronted with a war. It was the only situation in which he truly felt alive.

He greeted Sir Uther Dahz respectfully before entering the pavilion. As he was announced he immediately knew why the officers looked at him with such hostility. But he was determined to prove them wrong, they would see his usefulness soon enough.

With a confident look he bowed before the king. The blond young man was ten yahren younger then he was, yet he had the deepest respect for him. King Balthazar was not only the Avatar, he was very sharp of mind as well. Michel served him without any doubt.

"Captain Michel Carbonneau, proud to be reporting to fight next to you in the coming war, your highness."
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe. We've come to be the rulers of you all.

Avatar by permission of Amok. [url]http://amok-koma.ru/[/url] ~ eyepatch made by Ulder, with permission of Amok.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"Captain," the young monarch said warmly, gesturing him closer "come have a look at this map. We are trying to determine the best tactic."

The map that was folded open upon the wooden table was very detailed and contained recent markings that suggested it had been updated after scouts spend some time in the woods. For Taquar in this part of the country was a deep thick forest, sometimes cut by a river, but mostly green and impenetrable. "We are not even sure the horses will be able to go through," a man in the white with red eye uniform of the Purificatio was saying "The forest itself seems possessed by an evil unnatural spirit."

Balthasar frowned and mildly corrected "It is magickal energy brother John, that makes this a living breathing forest. Nymps, Dryads and typical fae creatures like that, acting as guardians of the land. They too are within the embrace of the One. However, you are right that it appears that something has recently twisted these benevolent creatures. The stench of the Nether is near, and we can no longer expect to be safe when we cross that border."

The kings ice blue eyes focused on his latest commander "So, we've already discussed some of this but I'm curious as to your approach. It appears that initially we can't use airships nor horses. How would you deal with this?
Michel Carbonneau

Lions...Michel had been thrown in front of the lions. There they were, sitting at the table, watching his every move, waiting for him to fail. For they, all men with a considerable amount of experience, were sure that he, a fresh captain, could possibly have any plans that they had overlooked. He could see it in their eyes..they were certain he would fail.

Yet Michel knew that the king would not have asked him this question if he did not expect Michel to be capable of a worthy answer. He stepped towards the map, leaning over it to study it and look for possibilities. His war instinct kicked in as he felt the pressure and saw the obstacles they faced. No airships..no horses...what is left?

Then..suddenly, as he was following some of the blue lines on the map and noticed the light from the candles dancing around the lines..then he knew. "We should go in as deep as we can with boats and follow the rivers. And wherever we set foot in that wicked forest, we should burn it to the ground. Let those creatures burn in the light of the One as we send them straight back to the Nether." He stood up straight again, convinced that this was a possible tactic. Looking back and forth between the King and the Purificato man, he thought they would both see the religious signs in his strategy. "Yes, We'll burn them all to the Nether. And they will not be able to save themselves with the rivers, because we will guard them. We will hold the waters as we heat things up."
Last edited by Michel Carbonneau on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

For a flicker everybody was silent, and then the discussions erupted. Apparantly Michel's proposed tactic was one of the two already on the table. The captain of the Pax Honestus found the Legion Purificatio on his side, "brother John" as Balthasar had called the stern commanding officer nodding with approval at Michel's religious rethoric. There was however the minority opinion that the method was to dreadful and would cost too many innocent lives. In the end all eyes focused upon Balthasar.

His ice blue eyes were serious and an inner light was controlling his very presence. It was at moments like this that the king took on his role not only as monarch but as the avatar of the One. "Brother John and Captain Carbonneau are right. Pagans are lost to us but may find salvation in the Aether. It is the life of our own men that I seek to spare as we isolate this erruption of the Nether. There no longer are any innocents that will fall victim, and we may be saving the lives of the Taquar kingdom that have been spared the horrors so far."

"We will burn T'aquar."

A dreadful silence followed as the commanders eyed each other grimly, then most of them filed out to prepare their troops for their gruesome task.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

Elsewhere in Taquar...

The disturbances caused by the portals and the arrival of the King's legions did not go undetected. Blayvanna, the choas demon could feel the distrubances caused by the portals. A new enemy had arrived. This was not welcomed as it would only serve to delay her plans to rule all of Taquar. The intruders would have to be met, and they would have to be destroyed.

She stood up from her throne, the very throne that the deceased Tari of Taquar used to sit on and walked forward until she came to a mirror. "Show me," she said as she waved her hand before the looking glass. The mirror grew hazy and shook at it's base on the floor. Her cold jet black eyes looked directly forward into the whirling clouds inside the mirror.

She saw them. This new enemy now had a face.
I see the future, and the future is bleeding.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

Once again the portal shimmered, allowing a new group access to the borders of T'aquar. "Captain Narvannor with new recruits." The brownhaired man announced, stepping through at ease. He was followed by a group of fiftysomething men of which most looked decidedly uneasy and unprepared.

For Dranlen and Brytan it might be there first journey through a portal. Stepping through did not mean an instant move from one place to the other. Instead they were left with vague memories of marching; memories that were somehow hard to lock on to.

Narvannor stepped up to Michel Carbonneau as soon as he was available. He saluted him smartly. "Captain, Narvannor with Roque recruits. Soon there shall be more of them. For now I am ordered to relinquish them into your command. May the One watch over you!"

Papers were handed over from his gloved hands to ensure the legal qualities of this strange arrival. He quickly ordered his men to line the newlings up for Michel to inspect and disappeared back through the portal.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

portals, awesome

Post by Brytan »

Yes, it had been the first time Brytan had stepped through a portal. It had not been long since he had been picked up from his skinning errand and he was astounded by the rush the soldiers had made to get their draftees to the warzone. No explanations, no equipment, nothing. There was a haste to this war, someone was very bent on getting started.

As he stepped out and blinked against the shifting of the light and found his footing in the grasslands before the forests of Taquar he looked around him. All over were tents, soldiers, preparations for battle. And in the background a lush, dense forest streched for as far as the eye could see. "Where am I? What is going on here?"

But as he heard the officer adress the captain who was obviously in charge, exchanging papers and orders, he figured he would soon find out.

Now Brytan was never one to follow orders if he could help it, he prefered running himself. His father had been involved in war when he had been younger though, and he had always ended with stories with "As long as we thought on our feet, we did fine. My commanding officer had dung for brains, but we always pulled through on our swords and wits. Listening to orders is fine, but we'd never do so without thinking first."
He had always laughed at that comment, but now he was going to find out if his father had been telling the truth. So Brytan fell in rank when he was ordered to do so, mimicking soldiers he had seen puppeteered to these actions in the past, and awaited the verdict.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Michel Carbonneau

As Michel saw that the discussion erupted, he knew he had made a good suggestion. He had passed this test. But when the king made the final decision and the silence fell, a slight touch of doubt entered his mind. Was this the right choice? Did all the pagans deserve to burn? Was there no other way? He hesitated between leaving, or talking to the king or brother John, but decided it was best to leave with the others. Staying behind would give those that did not like him an opportunity to talk..

With a slight bow to the king and brother John, the captain left the tent. Outside Narvannor approached him and Michel saluted back. As he accepted the papers and took a look at them, he noticed how easily Narvannor stepped back into the portal again. Better him than me..

Michel looked up to the men in front of him. He could see they looked uneasy, not knowing what was about to happen, just doing as they were told. It was time to prepare them for what was coming and to boost their morale. He started his speech as he marched up and down the line.
"Gentlemen, Welcome to Taquar. I wish we were meeting each other here in brighter days, but i'm afraid it is not so. The lands you see before you are covered in the darkness of the Nether. It is here that the Nether has opened up and is invading our beautiful world of Tazlure." He paused for a flicker to let the words sink in, the look on his face dark and serious.
He raised his voice a little, putting more strength into it.
"But it is here, at the border of darkness, where the son's of the One will strike back. The Nether will not spread further into Tazlure, into our lands, into our homes. It will take no more of our men, our women and our children. We, gentlemen..WE will not let it! By Dominicus!
It is therefore that you have been summoned here. Together we will burn down Taquar and fight until the last bit of darkness shall be blinded by the light!"

Again he paused, a little bit longer this time, looking into their eyes as he walked by. "I see fear in some of your eyes. FEAR. Look to the person next to you, turn your heads and look into their eyes. You can see it too. FEAR. Everyone feels it. Now close your eyes! Do not desire to see, but start to FEEL. For we have something the darkness has not! We have the Light of Dominicus, the Light of the ONE shining in our hearts! FEEL it in your heart! Feel the love for your family, your brother, your sister, your mother, your father...your wife! your children! It is this love that makes us stronger! As we stand here today, we are one army. One. Every person standing here is your brother. YOU are my brothers! Together we will make sure that no one will be left behind. Together we will defeat the Nether and burn it back from whence it came! And no one will be left behind!"

He finished his speech with his fist raised into the air, looking into the eyes of the soldiers, seeking recognition, seeking to the fire that has to be rekindled.

Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

The clouds overhead slowly began to grow darker and thicker as Michel spoke. The clouds spun slowly together as many smaller clouds merged to form one massive blanket of darkness that seemed as if it were going to choke out the very daylight itself. The faint sound of far off thunder could be heard by one and all.

As the clouds formed the wind did pick up quite noticeably from a slight breeze to strong, but brief gusts of wind. Flags were whipped about without mercy on their posts. Men who wore hats had to hold on to the lest they wanted to chase after them. Even the air itself felt different, cold, dark, and foreboding.

There was no doubt that there was evil afoot. Complete evil, and it was everywhere. None of the men present had ever witnessed such a display before, and it was only the beginning. The forrest ahead would hold many more surprises for those brave enough to try to navigate through it.

It was a warning.

The rain began to fall. Large drops from the swollen clouds fell down upon the assembling forces causing some to seek cover from the sudden downpour. The wind kicked up again and this time it was more audible, and it sounded as if it were screaming in pain. Leaves were ripped from their branches and they whirled about in a mad dance.

A single bolt of lightning came crashing down nearby and struck a tree. Sharp splinters of wood were shot everywhere as the tree burst, killing three men. The creaking sound that followed gave warning that the tree was going to fall. It fell to the ground with a loud thud and bits of dirt, leaves, and branches were sent flying. No one else was injured, but the warning was clear. Enter this forrest, and you will die in this forrest.

Without further warning, the wind died down, and the clouds began to dissipate. Rays of sunshine began to break through the dense clouds to shine on the ground around the men. A small unit of men quickly scampered to fetch the dead and see if any one else was wounded. Everything returned to normal, save for the coldness that still lingered on the air.
Michel Carbonneau

The warning came at a bad time. But of course warnings never had any good time. At least the soldiers knew now that Michel was not joking about the Nether being present.

As he watched the display of might, he knew they would have a hard battle to fight. This would not be an easy task. He also knew that it had to be done. This thing had to be stopped. At any cost. Rain...How could I have forgotten the rain? If we are to burn down Taquar..we will have to do it massively with quite some magic to make sure it is hot enough...I will have to talk to the king later..

The Captain knew he had to do something..otherwise his speech would have no effect at all. Therefore, even though he too felt the power which was shown, he did not move an inch. He kept standing on the same spot, waiting to see what would happen, in his mind praying to the One. Dominicus..We need you now. Show your son's that you are stronger than this..show them that we will prevail.

And then it came..The wind died down and the sunshine broke through the clouds. Michel looked at the men with a determined look. "After rain, there will always be sunshine. After darkness, there will always be the light. After the Nether, there will always be the One." Thank you Dominicus for that last sign.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

The captain's speech was electrifying and Dranlen listened intently to the motivational words, this was someone to follow, this was a leader who he would be willing to fight for. He was one of the few amongst the draftees who was armed and armoured, ready for combat. He grinned the light reflected in his eyes as they shone in admiration and not a little fervour for the forthcoming battle, despite the doubts he had about Dominicus, he was still inspired by the words. The brief storm hardly dampened his spirits and though he looked to see the damage wrought and the first violent deaths he had ever seen, this was war and things like that would happen. Perhaps it was because in his childhood battles his opponents fell down as though dead at times he did not yet realise that they would never stand up again, helped no doubt by the fact he knew not who they were. Perhaps when someone he knew died the effect would be all the greater, but only time would tell.

Dranlen stood tall and still reflecting the stance of his captain, returning the gaze equally, waiting for his next order. He was going to war!

The rush of drafting and of the portal had left little time for thought in Dranlen's mind and perhaps given more time to reflect he might have had more doubts. He was, however so psyched up when he arrived at the mercenary guild that he was in an adrenalin rush that gave him little time for thought or reflection, he rode the wave, enjoying the ride, never expecting it to end.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

yay

Post by Brytan »

"By the One, this one is full of himself." Brytan thought as he heard the captain speak. But as the speech went on he could find some sympathy for the words he was using to rally the troops as it were. In his mind he let the words resound, and when the captain brought up family he felt a cord snap in his heart as he envisioned Marissa on her bed, struck down by some untazly shadow.

Clouds grew thick and thunder rolled and struck. The wind swept over the grounds and the tents. And as quickly as it started it stopped again. "Something foul is afoot here. The Nether has broken through in this place? More shadows from that foul place came to haunt the Tether? I hope everyone is praying to Dominicus then." And with that thought he sent a quick prayer up aswell, knowing full well that in the end it probably would come down to far more basic means to settle this war than divine intervention...
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The sense of Dominicus with them was almost tangible, and a strong wind came from the west and blew the clouds away. King Balthasar left his tent and watched the display of foulness. He had changed into a white paladin's full plated armor with a white cloak, which blew around him and tossled his blond curls only held in place by the small band of gold that proved him to be the monarch. A ray of sunshine fell down upon him at a most opportune moment, rallying the troops. He rose his sword and bellowed "For Dominicus, FOR THE LIGHT!", challenging the Nether itself to come out and show it self.

The recruits meanwhile were handed their uniforms.. the proud black and red of the newest legion of the Kingdom: Pax Honestus. Sadly it did not come with equipment, though there was a lively trade among the soldiers. Some of the more seasoned ones had brought plenty. They also told the younger ones arm themselves with everything they could find, including large sharp sticks.

What did get distributed though, within the mark, were large burning torches that reeked of a strong fish oil, probably originating from the Mouth. It would not be deterred by a few small drops of rain. Some of the soldiers were carrying containers with even more fish oil. Anything that could burn would burn in Taquar.

The young monarch rode forward on his white horse, carrying the banner of the West. One by one the commanders of the legions ordered their units to stand tall and follow the king. Patiently Balthasar waited for just the right moment; an eerie silence settling on what would soon be a battlefield. In a voice that carried far over his troops, and was no doubt magickally enhanced he called "We are here today to make good upon our treaty with kingdom of T'aquar. Even though they are pagans we will not abondon them in their hour of need. Clearly the Nether has overcome them, as we knew it would. We will conquer these foul creatures and restore Law and Order, by all means necessary. Show no mercy. You are on a holy mission from the One. Liberate the people of T'aquar. FOR THE LIGHT!"
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

A fog started to form before the King and his men. Barely noticeable at first, appearing as nothing more than a slight haze. It was not a thick fog, nor was it an all encompassing fog that could hinder one's view. Just a small patch of fog that gently levitated towards the monarch and the men that rode by his side. The ethereal mass began to slowly transform, from that of a shapeless mist to vague form of an adhiel woman. With each passing flicker the image became more visible and more defined until it was the picture perfect visage of an attractive woman with soft features and long jet black hair. She looked so real that if given the chance one would want to reach out and touch her to see if she was real.

"King Balthasar," she said speaking directly to him. "You must not commence with your plans to invade Taquar. I fear for your safety and the safety of you forces. The forrest is not what it used to be. It is a vile and tainted place, many of your men will perish if you continue on." The woman before him seemed very sincere as she spoke. There was no malice to the tone of her voice. Her eyes seemed as if she were pleading with the king. "You must turn back. I beg of you. Do not go any further," she continued after a brief pause. After taking a glance around the image again spoke. "They will all die."

Not everyone standing there could hear the conversation, but those close to the king could. Some of the men rubbed their eyes to check their eyesight like their eyes were playing tricks on them. The adhiel woman looked real enough, and sounded real enough.

"Turn back now. Taquar is lost," she again warned. The figure of her form shifting with the wind as if any moment she would just disperse at any moment. "You can not save us King Balthasar."
Michel Carbonneau

Things were moving at a rapid pace now. Before Michel could even give more detailed instructions, his men were given the brand new uniform. A uniform that Michel was proud of. The colors were perfect.

As the other commanders ordered their troops to get in line behind the king, Michel followed. He decided to ride with his men instead of with the king. Finally, when they were ready, the king came out of his tent and raised his sword. Michel followed his example. "FOR THE LIGHT!"

And then, just as they were about to ride off, the adhiel woman appeared. Michel couldn't hear what she was saying from where he was standing, but the sight was almost hypnotizing. Who was this woman and what could she possibly have to say to the king at this moment? One thing was for certain..this had to be resolved before the men would be getting too restless. Ordering his sergeant to keep the legion in line, Michel rode forward, so that he would be closer to the King and the woman. He arrived just in time to hear her last words. Turn back?? What kind of trickery is this??

His heart started to beat faster as he looked with wide eyes at the woman, awaiting the answer of the king.

Michel Carbonneau

Maeve:

Every legion got back into shape, preparing for attack. Most had both cavelry and infantry, but the newly shaped Pax Honestus was consisted mainly of infantry and thus was at an advantage. Michel found himself in the frontline with his troops.

When he approached the king, his eyes fixed on the dark beauty he heard the young monarch hiss "Begone witch. You are not of T'aquar. My forefathers have always intermarried with the Royal House and blond with blue eyes breed true. You.. you are nothing but a temptress to lead us astray." Yet the King could not lift his eyes from the well filled body. From afar Brother John's eyes sought those of Michel with some sense of alarm.

[hr][/hr]
As Michel got closer he could hear the Monarch's words and from those words he realised that this adhiel was not coming in peace. She was trouble. His eyes met Brother John's and Michel nodded to signal that he understood. Something had to be done..but what? Fog turning into an adhiel? For a flicker he looked at the containers of fish oil and the burning torches. If she was real..he could burn here right there and then..but she wasn't.

The king was still looking at the adhiel, a little bit too focused as far as Michel was concerned. He also realised that a white, beautiful adhiel would look quite distracting for the rest of the troops. Especially when she asked the king to not go into war. There was only one thing he could do.

The captain did not hesitate any longer and jumped in between the adhiel and the King, facing the adhiel but only looking at her forehead. He did not want to get under the same spell as the monarch apparently was. "Go back to the darkness from whence you came, witch!" Michel shouted, hopefully loud enough so that everyone that could see her would hear. "You will not deceive us!"

Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

"And what of you Michel Carbonneau," she said as she turned to face him. "What glory is it that you seek on this field of battle?" There was no wind but her form seemed to drift motionlessly towards him. "What salvation are you trying to find? What amends with..." she paused and her cold pitch black eyes looked as if they were digging down into his innermost soul and secrets, "your family do you wish to heal?"

A breeze kicked up slightly, yet her long flowing locks remained perfectly still. "Do you think you will become closer to father and your brother Michel Carbonneau? What of you mother and your beloved sisters? What of their sorrow when they find out that you died here?"

Then in an image that only Michel could see he saw home, his home. His mother and his sisters. There was a messenger and in his hand he carried a letter that bore the King's official insignia. The man began to read and the looks on his family's faces began to change. He could almost feel their heartbreak when he heard the words," I must sadly inform you that Captain Micheal Carbonneau was killed in Taquar." They cried, and they wailed as tears flowed down their faces.

He saw an uncaring father and an indifferent brother. Neither seeming to care. He heard the word, "Traitor" over and over in his mind as flashes of his shamed father came and went. He saw himself reaching up and his brother turning his back on him. He saw his own funeral pyre. His mother and sisters dressed in all black. His poor mother cling to his weeping sisters for support.

Finally he saw his home in flames. He saw chaos and carnage. In his mind he saw the only thing he truly cared for dying. He saw his reason to fight, his reason to live being taken away by orcs and demons.

"Go to them Michel Carbonneau," the image of the beautiful K'tara said. K'tara was no more, just a shell. "They need you. Nicole and Éléonore need you to protect them." Blayvanna knew, she knew it all. Now Michel knew that she knew.
Michel Carbonneau

As the images of his family entered his mind, his eyes widened. What hit him the most was not the image of the messenger sending word of his death. Ever since he had joined the army at a young age, he had known that day might come, sooner or later. No, it was the image of his home in flames, dead, burned bodies lying everywhere. No kids playing in the streets anymore..there was only death and violence.

But the image did not have the effect the demon, for she had to be a demon with such powers, had had in mind. Michel had always felt the need to protect the innocent. Failing in that was his biggest fear. Letting go of the images in his mind, he exhaled and focussed on the demon again.

"You are right..They need me to protect them. And that is exactly what I shall do."

Grabbing his sword with both hands, Michel heaved it upwards and swung it as if he was going to decapitate her. He knew this couldn't really be done of course, for she was not really there. He stopped the motion when he reached the middle of her neck with the sword, holding his arm out straight.

Looking straight over the sword's edge, his eyes filled with hatred focussed on the woman's neck.
"Someday...very soon...you will feal the real touch of this steel, demon. And I will be the one who will help you out of this world, back into the Nether."

Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

The sword stood where the swing stopped, it's point firmly in the middle of her neck. she looked down at the sword then back up to meet Michel's angry glare. There was what looked to be a pout on the woman's face momentarily. The pouty lips then changed to that of a grin, twisted and maniacal. The adhiel woman began to laugh, mocking Michel in all his fury.

"Ahhh hahahaha," she cackled, "you fool." The woman that stood before Michel, with the crown of the tari of Taquar upside down on her head began to change. Her soft passionate eyes were replaced by cold, empty, black orbs. Her teeth grew into large menacing fangs. The skin of the lovely woman looked as if it was being burned away as it began to boil and fester before Michel, and everyone else's eyes. Her pristine face transformed into that of the true form of their enemy, the chaos demon Blayvanna.

Stranger yet, Michel could see that the blade of his sword was beginning to glow. Orange at first then red as the color wormed its way up the blade. At the same time both of his hands began to get warmer and warmer. The longer he held the weapon, the hotter his hands got. "Your steel is worthless mortal," the demon image bellowed out. "And you will die just as the adhiel have perished," the demon then said.

Far away from the battlefield, unbeknownst to all, a small child was playing inside while his mother busy outside their little house hanging laundry to dry. The child's innocent playing went on unnoticed by the mother. So did the candle that he knocked over.
Michel Carbonneau

Watching the image of the beautiful woman change into the true, horrific face of the demon was something that showed the true evil. It showed how all consuming it was. But here, for Michel, it served a purpose.

At first the captain tried to hold on to his sword, but the heat became unbearable. There was no use for him to burn his hands. He knew there was no way to defeat the demon at the moment.

Michel threw down his sword. And then he grinned. Nodding to the demon. "Thank you. Thank you for showing your true face."
The greatest worry Michel had had was that the troops would be seeing a beautiful adhiel begging the King to turn back, because it would be evil to go on. But now, by showing her true face, there was no doubt that the Nether had invaded Taquar.

Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

Blayvanna cackled, and she spun about while doing so. Her giggle soft at first turned into a roar that everyone could hear. Thunder boomed overhead once more as the chaos demon's image began to fade.

"No Michel Carbonneau, thank you," she hissed. "For every death in this forest will make my forces stronger. For every fear that lingers in your head, so my power show grow."

The image continued to fade but her laughter could be heard.

"I will be waiting Michael. I will be waiting for you. Do not disappoint me."

The image of the demon disappeared form sight completely. Only a small trail of fog lingered where Blayvanna stood. Then there was calm once more on the battlefield. An eerie, unnatural calm. Blayvanna and the forces of the Nether were waiting.
Michel Carbonneau

For a few flickers, Michel just stood there, silent. His gaze went right through the troops and the trees, as if he was looking at something far, far away. So that is the face of evil...

Finally, he blinked and realized where he was again. He picked up his sword again, holding it in his hands a little uncomfortable..like he needed to make it his again. His gaze sought for brother John, wondering what the priest would be thinking now. Then, when their eyes had met for a flicker, Michel gave him a slight nod. after all, it had been brother John who had pointed the captain at the imminent danger of the king. The king..how was the king?

Turning around he looked at King Balthasar, who had seemed to suffer from the presence of the demon before Michel had stepped between them. He did not ask how he felt, for that would be unwise with everyone around to hear. He only looked into the king's eyes.
"My King, it is time for war."

Return to “T'aquar Archive”