Diplomacy is a fancy way of... SH26th

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Diplomacy is a fancy way of... SH26th

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: I'll be starting this thread in conjunction with the others, but we will be jumping ahead a bit as we go to catch up to the synch event. This thread will be moved to Islay when the timejump is complete. PM me if you have any questions or concerns. V

IC: Nine men waited for Gavin to finish questioning the prisoner. They were a curious mixture of hardened men, weathered and tough, and green recruits, looking fearful and nervous. The Captain had a fairly good job of creating a blend of personalities and experience levels, although it was soon apparent that those who had volunteered were younger, newer men seeking a reputation and hoping that volunteering would speed their careers along.

The Clansman Howland was among them, checking the straps on saddles, tightening buckles and straps, making sure that all was well with the mounts. Horses stood at the ready for Gavin, Kelsyk and Abner. The last was more of a pony, with a short saddle and even shorter stirrups, but a hearty looking little fellow nonetheless. The Clansman looked over all the horses with the practiced eye of one who lived in the saddle.

Three of the men were already mounted, chatting amiably while awaiting the order to move out. They paid little attention to the others and seemed to already know one another. The first was a clean cut looking fellow who wore a red tunic and a well worn axe hung from his saddle. The second was a younger man, dark and bearded, but showed brilliant white teeth when he smiled, which was often. He had two sword handles that showed sticking up from his back and the sword belts criss-crossed across the front of his green tunic. The last was a big blonde man who looked as if he could have Clan blood in his ancestry, as he had that fierce and determined look about him. He carried a short, heavy fighting spear and a long knife at his waist. All three erupted in laughter and enjoyed some private joke. When they saw Gavin, they turned to face him, each smiling and recovering from their recent mirth. They quickly grew more serious as their appointed leader approached.

The other five fell into a makeshift line, each expecting some sort of speech or orders given. These were the nervous looking recruits, the ones that would need the most attention, and perhaps the most discipline. All had been quickly and hastily equipped with makeshift gear from various places, giving them a mismatched and irregular appearance. They were armed a variety of weapons, including a few bows.

Howland didn't turn to greet him, nor gave any indication that he was there as he plucked a stone from the shoe of the pony with the point of his knife. He chewed a long blade of grass thoughtfully and spoke quietly, indicating he knew who was there.

"You ready?" he asked simply?
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin was in the foul mood when the message that men assigned to him were ready to move out came. A simple nod was all that messenger got. The big man brooded for a few more flickers before he got up and grunted. With sharp tug he readjusted his breastplate and then his gaze sought out the spot messenger indicated. "Alright. Let's do this." And then he strode to the small gathering. The death of Cheerio hung heavily in his mind. And no matter how many times he told himself that it was not true, the man's words did get to the big warrior. Her eyes are everywhere. Her servants watch. So, I wonder how many of these serve her? Only one man I can trust. Abner. And Howland and Kelsyk to a degree. Oh, well. If I lead these men to death, at least I can hope that one of her servants might die. Now, that is a reassuring thought.

A frown was heavy on his face, when the big man faced the gathered soldiers. His gaze traveled over all the faces and he tried to judge them at a first glance. Those three might come in useful. Might. I'll have to see if they keep to themselves or try to become part of a group. Each possibility has its advantages. And each holds a certain degree of danger. I'll keep an eye on them. As for the others... Well, we'll just have to wait and see. Volunteers are nice, but if she has a spy in this group it is probably one of them. Oh, well. Must make sure I don't plan too much into the future then. Because of possible death and stuff like that. Somehow the thought seemed funny under the present circumstances. But, Gavin did no allow himself a luxury of a laugh. A side of his mouth twisted upwards and he nodded.

A few flickers passed before Howland spoke and awoke Gavin from his musings. "Aye, I am ready. As ready as I ever will be." He muttered those words more to himself than to Howland and then strode to stand in front of the rag-tag line of men he got. "Alright. We are in a hurry so I will make this short and simple. My name is Gavin Tylvan. No fancy titles or such nonsense. I don't hold any official rank so simple Gavin will do. Apart from that, not much I can tell you. Not sure if you know, but this is not a simple scouting band. We are going on a diplomatic mission. To try and calm the Clans before too much blood is spilled. So, I expect you to behave accordingly. We may have to fight, but only as a last resort. And try not to let the highlanders provoke you when and if we meet them."

A short pause as Gavin tried to remember what else he had to say. Then he turned to the pair beside him and introduced them to the rest of the men. "These two gentlemen by my side are Abner and Kelsyk. The gnome might save your life before long, so try to treat him nicely. The two of us fought side by side before this and he has my full trust. Keep that in mind. Kelsyk on the other hand I met only today. He saved my life in a way and volunteered for this mission afterwards. So, he is one of you. Or rather one of us. We are all in this together. Howland, over there will be our guide on this trip." Another nod indicated that he was done and that this was all the speech they were to receive. "All that remains now is for you to introduce yourselves and we can be of."

The big man patiently waited for the group to give him his names and did his best to commit them to memory. They were entrusted to his care and he would do his best to bring them back alive. All of them. Even the spy if he is among them. But, first we need to make sure this war does not happen. As soon as all the names were uttered, the big man strode to his horse and paused for a flicker before trying to mount it. "Alright. Mount up" Although he never rode before he grew up among the guards. So he knew the theory. Alright. Left side of the horse. Left leg into a stirrup. What to do with my hands? Oh, yes. Both hands grip the saddle. Reins held in the left as well. And up we go. Of course it was not that easy. Fearing that he might spring to high and fall of the horse on the other side, made Gavin put less energy into his spring than was necessary. Much less.

His boot got only about a foot and a half of the ground, when the big man felt the weight of the armor pull his down once more. With a grunt his face contorted into a mask and the muscles in his arms contracted. For a flicker he hung in the air and then he started to rise and was safely in the saddle a few flickers later. Sweat beaded his brow, as he settled in the saddle. With a deep sigh he relaxed a bit and his other foot sought the stirrup as well. Alright. This went well. I hope I learn to do this better real soon. As his hands gripped the front of the saddle, Gavin managed to twist his torso and waited for everyone to set onto their horses. And as soon as they were ready, with a smile he turned to Abner. "Well, my friend. Here we go. I hope this ends well." Then his gaze went to Howland and the smile was gone. "Ready to move out? And try to keep it slow at start. I am not very good at this whole riding thing." Another smile and the big man prepared to sink his heels into the sides of his horse and be on his way.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk walked over to one of the horse and stood next to it, looking around at the others. Horses, why do we have to ride horses. I've never even ridden a horse before, well this is as good a time as any to learn how. Looks like you put your foot here and sort of jump.

Kelsyk put his right foot into the stirrup, and jumped try to get on the horse. On the first try he didn't get high enough and fell backwards. The second time he grabbed to saddle to pull himself up, ending up lying on his stomach across the horse before falling off again.

"Uh Gavin, any tips on how to get onto a horse. I've never done it before, and I would rather not fall off again," Kelsyk said with a bit of a laugh in his voice.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The highlander Howland stepped over and helped Kelsyk up from the ground. He had the opportunity to laugh, he had the opportunity to make fun of the knife fighter from Muchisle in many different ways but instead of either he simply helped Kelsyk stand, and took on the role of a patient teacher.

"Ah me boyo. Yer new to horses too are ye? Well then, we'll be teaching ye as we go. We be headin' up into some rough country, so I hope ye can be learnin' fast. First to get ye up into the saddle."

Howland interlaced his fingers and held his hands low for Kelsyk to step into them so the highlander could help him mount up.

"Throw one leg over first, and steady yerself on the horn, that hard thin' on the front of the saddle. Ready?"

Once Kelsyk was successfully in the saddle, Howland gave him some further guidance.

"Good. Sit tight for a flicker." Howland adjusted the stirrups on Kelsyk's horse to better fit him. It was instantly easier and more comfortable on Kelsyk's feet and legs after the Clansman made the adjustments.

"Yer a bit shorter like me, you was stretching to reach. Now then the reins are what you use to guide her. Pull the left side to go left, right to go right. Back towards ye to stop. These are good horses. They'll be followin' your lead. Don't pinch her with yer knees son, just sit naturally and let the weight of yer legs stand in the stirrups. Good. Better."

He turned to Gavin, and his horse after the big warrior from Dort had mounted. The highlander pulled on a few buckles and straps here and there, and nodded in satisfaction.

"Good fit" was all he said.

Lastly, he turned to Abner. The Clansman was clearly at a loss in dealing with the likes of a Gnome, but it wasn't displeasure or dislike on his face, merely inexperience with the diminutive race.

"Got a short saddle for you. A kid's. Still will be a bit long for ye, but I'll cut the straps shorter after we move out. First day going to be hardest on you, so you be sure to tell me when yer hurtin' and needs a rest."

He helped the scientist into the saddle with practiced ease.

Howland glanced over the others as the followed Howland's directions as he instructed Kelsyk. It was clear that two of the young men had sat a horse before, and were already mounted up. The other three struggled to follow along.

"Ye be sore tomorrow, but yer tough."

The three veterans stood at the ready. There had been some chuckling when Kelsyk fell, but they weren't unusually cruel or mocking about it. It was merely more of gentle amusement at knowing all too well what he was going through.

Howland mounted his own horse quickly, practically leaping into the saddle. He led his mount at a trot over to where Gavin stood waiting.

"Aye. Ready now. Don't ye be worrin' about ridin'. I'll make horsemen of the lot of you yet. Slow at first. Get yer legs under ye. Then we be goin' up into the hills. Be faster and more dangerous then. The O'Brien's have a hold of sorts up there" He said, pointing to the top of a large group of mountains to the south. "Goin' to be tricky, when we gets up high. Good that ye know now."

He sat silent then, chewing on his blade of grass, waiting for the order to move out.
Last edited by Vanadius on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'll be doing some rookies activity so if you be doing somewhat with these rooks I'll be replying to you. Makes a lot more fun and smoother gameplay as one could say a lot of people be in the thread right now, eleven if I'm correct. If you got any questions please PM me or give me a call on either msn or Aim.

IC: Good it felt truly well for the two young riders; they had some worries that they wouldn’t excel at all in the early starts of the tour. All that changed as they saw that have of the gloried lads had trouble even getting onto a horse and needing a hand or two even staying in the saddle. Jack felt it was going to be a gung ho task going out kicking some clan butt and then coming back getting a lot of pay, the honour of it all… spectacular. His short black cut hair was greasy with dirt and he wore a pair of plain brown trousers and dirty white shirt with a worn leather jacket over it. The jacket showed some padding but its quality was rather bad, almost just as bad as his hygiene. The other lad his somewhat good friend Fielding and he wasn’t much cleaner then the first one and had an air around him of being king of the play. Similar clothes like his buddy Jack this guy was almost just as dirty as well, the look suggested they had been serving under the same sergeant and now looked to have a little glory at the expense of others. Most likely their riding skill was the result of training in the light cavalry of Dort or perhaps a local lord. Their packs bared the marks of a jumping horse; this was however poorly made one might add just like their clothes.

The greenhorns a bit further back seemed to be more local urban boys trying to get out of the gutter by enlisting. Their clothes were those you’d see in any alley or street in Dort and only differed by them wearing a simple blue gambeson and blue cape. These looked new compared to the rest of their garb and perhaps where a present for joining up, as was known to be given to youth with little gear. All three wore simple weapons being a small hand axe, clubs and a couple of cheap daggers. Noticing their skill at the horse one might conclude the only time they got near a horse was when one passed by pulling a cart as one even attempted of engaging from behind, which led to the horse walking away and the poor sob falling into the dirt under some laughter of both Jack and Fielding already. The other two copied the way Kelsyk had been getting up one helping the other, one got the other one up and then used his leg so the other had some additional support trying to get on. It took them both a couple of burns to get on and when they did they sat like an old bag of beans much like Gavin, Kelsyk and Abner. They wiggled nervously looking at the more experienced guys for some sign of help, as they were rather clueless of what to do next.

The last lad couldn’t get on it even if his life depended on it the horse didn’t like his inexperienced touch and tried avoiding him turning away every time he tried to get his foot in the stirrup to get on. The scruffy youth got annoyed cursing softly to itself trying over and over to no avail; young Frank truly had a big trouble doing this kind of thing all right but the two experienced youths didn’t do anything to help him at all. “Please god…” Was all he could say after cursing again about the dreaded horse and wishing he’d stayed home instead of this humiliation.

Jack and fielding engaged the already mounted men smiling brightly as if they fitted in with the more experienced men. “My name is Jack and this me pal Field’ we be giving ye guys a hand in kicking some clan butt. Don't waste with those three losers over there we are the guys ye need.” Jack grinned bright at Gavin while Fielding gave a disapproving look at Howland who he saw as a clansman and lesser to him. “Why we have a clansman here I thought we were suppose to be kicking clansman not bringing them home.” Fielding spat to the floor as if the word clan gave a bad after taste in his mouth. The situation was slightly tense as both the young riders obvious weren’t aware of the situation; it had been a rush order and they only had been gathered less then a mark ago.

In the back the other two boys tried to give instruction to the third who hadn’t gotten on already but again they had no experience themselves but were trying to do so.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin was too focused on staying astride his own horse and Kelsyk's troubles caught him a bit by surprise. For a flicker he pondered how to help the lad and was ready to chance leaning over and pulling him up, but Howland came to the rescue. Gavin was grateful for that, seeing how his balance on top of the beast was precarious as it was, even without leaning over and other acrobatics. We do need to move fast, but I don't have to like it. Damned horses. But, they might be useful in the end. So, clench your teeth Gavin and prepare your butt to get sore today. Then the Clansman was at his side and checking the straps there. As he was there Gavin leaned slightly and with his eyes pointing towards Kelsyk and Abner whispered: "Thank you."

He did listen to the instructions Howland gave them and tried to commit them all to memory. Most of it he knew already. The reins and directing the horse and stopping. But, the rest was new. How to sit and how to place his feet. Then his eyes fell upon the rest of the group. With mild satisfaction he noted that two of the younger men could ride on their own. He was not pleased with their appearances, but he could not afford to be picky. He was taking these men into almost certain doom and he could not pick whom to take. But, his satisfaction quickly evaporated when he heard their comments. So, before he said something that would sound harsh the big man took a deep breath and then dismounted. He threw his reins to Howland and muttered. "Be right back." Then he strode quickly to the struggling man. His face was slowly turning red as he fumed more and more, but the Dortman managed to force a smile to his lips.

"Wait, lad. Let me help you." And gripping the reins tightly in one hand, Gavin stroked the horses neck gently with his other and whispered a few soothing words. "There, there, my pretty. Calm down. Be nice. We need you. Gently now." He hoped he would manage to calm the horse down, but even if he failed, the big man felt confident he could keep it under control long enough for the rookie to mount. "Now, I never rode either. No shame in admitting that. I am sure you have other qualities that will come in handy later on. So, remember what Howland told us and mount up. I'll hold the horse steady. Alright?"

As soon as the lad was mounted and steady, Gavin moved back to his own horse. The words Jack and Fielding spoke were noted, but he did not grace them with a look. He did feel the need to explain a few things to the pair. "I was under the impression I made myself clear. Peace mission. Not a raid. See what caused the trouble. Sort it out. Avoid the war. Those are the Count's orders. I am sure he would be displeased if we did not do our best." The big man took his reins back and gripped the leather of the saddle till it creaked. A jump and he almost overshoot. A few flicker he was steady in his saddle and still not looking at the pair he continued. "As for Howland here, he is our guide. Assigned by Captain Marten. If he trusts him so do I. I don't care if he is a dark adhiel. He knows the Highlands and Clan customs." His gaze took the entire group in and once he was sure everybody was ready, Gavin turned to Howland. "Move out. We have wasted enough time as it is. No sense in delaying it any further." And as soon as the guide moved out, Gavin spurred his horse after him. Yet his thoughts were on the problems his group already faced. Those two are trouble. But, I think I know how to handle it. A bit of sparring this evening might help. Fighting in a group is better if people cooperate. We shall see how they cooperate. And how they fight against each other. And a grin slowly spread across Gavin's face.

Post by Guest »

The boy was rather pleased at the aid of Gavin and his brown eyes sparkled with thanks of removing his discomfiture. “Thank you sir…” More did not come from the youth’s lips as he tried to focus on staying on the animal, if paid close attention he was rather white around the nose and nervous but the horse he was on was a gentle white mare with a large brown spot on its hind. The other two boys had similar mares one tanned with white specks and another totally auburn except for around the nose. All the horses the rookie riders had were calm and meek giving an advantage to new riders. Those of Jack and Fielding were more experienced animals that needed at least a semi-experienced rider but likely were better able to deal with combat. The three lads started talking to each other while making the horses walk slowly learning the techniques of simple step and turn. One could be seen instructing the other two; perhaps he had seen people ride or was a better copier of Howland’s teachings.

Jack mumbled something but not loud enough to make much sense, most likely it was related to Gavin’s words or Howland’s background. Fielding kept a close watch on Gavin as he spurted in attempt of a jump and looked somewhat amused at seeing the tall guy bobbling on his horse in a wish his drop of face first. He watched as Gavin landed a bit odd knowing that had to be painful to the gut and o boy he betted Gavin was going to sore tonight.

The three rookies were following at a slow pace staying close to each other, calm and steady with some nervous titter towards each other. It wasn’t going very fast just a little faster then taking foot and it became obvious some additional lessons were needed for them. “What do I do what do I do…” Could be heard from the youth who had first needed help getting on as the meek mare started walking forward and he was clueless of how to steer it. Annoyed by this Jack rode a bit back taking the reins of his hands and leading the youth along side him. “Hold it like this you buffoon, else you drop and break your neck and die, so the Clansmen don’t have to do it for you!” Jack was rather harsh only adding to the nervousness of the youth, but then again he did seem to be able to steer his mare correctly. The uncaught rider gave some callous words to the young man who started to speak while being lead. “My name is Pip… Are we going to save the world and stop the war?” The words came out rather worried, as the boy was perhaps fifteen years old. Jack did no effort on relying upon this just onwards-steering Pip towards Fielding his pal. The other two just followed next to one another they did suprisngly good but were nervous about actual jumps.

Pip had never left his home until a season ago when his master’s farm was sold off leaving him without employment. He had been given a chance of getting in the Dort militia if he was able to succeed in aiding the scout group in search of peace. Finding it a noble cause and relatively easy compared to having to join the bulk of the army and fight, in a way Pip hoped peace would return to the lands and a safe comfortable life in the militia. Catching an occasional thief or helping a cat come out of a tree, instead of having to pull all-nighters guarding the city and villages from Clan raids.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

(OOC: Sorry folks! Been having some network trouble lately that's been keeping me from posting. I'll try to keep up from here on out.)

Abner paid little attention to the motley assortment of volunteers who would be accompanying them on this mission. His mind was still on the spy Cheerio and his gruesome demise. The scientist kept replaying the final flickers of the encounter, and he pondered the contradiction of the man's look of utter fulfillment even as his lifeblood had burst in his veins. Outwardly, the gnome remained silent and rather distant. He passively accepted Howland's assistance onto the little horse, and paid cursory attention to the riding instruction. Mostly however, Abner left the pony to its devices in carrying him while he continued to think.
"Wel loved he garlek, onyons, and eek lekes,
And for to drynken strong wyn reed as blood"
--Geoffery Chaucer
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: A bit of time-jumping here. Feel free to post your actions and reactions.

IC: Howland spurred his horse to the forefront and led the group away from the city and to the rolling hills of the Middlemarches. The highlander had keen hearing and heard the way some of the others were speaking about him and his kind. He said nothing, and gave no indication that he had heard a word of it, but the words burned in him regardless.

His pace was very slow and deliberate allowing the inexperienced horsemen to get a sense of riding and the way the horse moved beneath them.

The veterans of the group kept largely to themselves. They had introduced themselves as Hodge, Waymer, and Red Jon to everyone and they rode together and tended to stray far enough to keep their conversations private. It was plain enough for all to see that they were experienced horseman as well as warriors. They carried themselves with the practiced ease of those who had seen many battles, and they had a casual indifference to the weapons they carried.

Hodge was the clean cut one with the axe. When not with the others he spoke to Howland about their route and their pace. He complained about the lack of speed, but Howland just chewed his grass, and ignored the man's urgings. Eventually Hodge gave up and fell back, reporting his failure to the others.

Red Jon and Waymer had travelled together for most of their lives. They had fought in the last uprising of the Clans, and mentioned that Captain Marten had been a mere sergeant back then. Waymer was easy going, and smiled often. He had a good sense of humor, and often pointed out the humor in most things, including making fun of Howland's skinny legs that poked out from under his kilt. The Clansman was not amused, and continued to ignore the man's repeated attempts to get under his skin. Red Jon was the large man, and while they rode, he suddenly threw the short spear he carried into a large bush at the base of a tree. He dismounted, and stalked off into the underbrush to retrieve it. He quickly returned with a rabbit that had been nearly cut in two by the weapon. Jon smiled and remarked about his famous cooked coney recipe. Waymer rolled his eyes and feigned gagging. The big man mounted once again, more than a little pleased with himself as they were on their way.

For the most part, Howland paid them little attention, preferring to keep his attention on those who needed instruction with their mounts. He rode back to the pack often, giving advice on how to better guide the horses and he regularly checked in with Abner, to make sure the Gnome was faring well. The trip was indeed hard on the scientist, and the pain of such a jostling ride was beginning to take it's toll.

Howland stopped them that night at the base of a large boulder. This was apparently a favorite spot for travellers as there was evidence of previous campsites and a ring of stones that made a firepit still was here.

Wordlessly, he fetched some water from a nearby stream, allowing the others time to stretch and tend to their hurting backsides. The Clansman moved with an energy and vigor that surprised many of the party. It was obvious the man grew more comfortable as they moved further away from the city.

They had travelled a fair distance considering their pace, and the place where they stopped was in the foothills of the mountains of Islay. Weather and luck permitting, they would be well into the mountains tomorrow.

Hodge and Waymer gathered some wood and started a fire and Red Jon began to clean and cook his coney while whistling a jaunty tune. All in all it was a pleasant night, and Jon's recipe turned out to be edible, despite all of Waymer's protests to the contrary. Soon they all sat around the fire while Howland adjusted the straps to Abner's saddle.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin's back was stiff and his behind sore quite soon. No more than a mar or two after they started their trek. But, he could deal with the pain for now. Secretly he studied Howland and the veterans and tried to mimic the way they sat and the way they moved in the rhythm with the motion of their horses. The armor he wore hindered his efforts as it settled heavily upon his shoulders, but they were going into the enemy territory and although they were on a peace mission, he was not about to risk needlessly. So, the heavy thing remained where it was. And besides, if I get used to riding in the armor, riding without it will be that much easier. So, it might just be an advantage. But, as more time passed, he was less and less sure of that. His face remained impassive, but only his concentration kept the pain from showing on his face.

And although he was busy pushing the pain to the background, he stuck to his original plan. So, most of the ride he kept close to Howland and kept questioning him about the Clans and their ways. At first he focused on things directly related to his mission: proper behavior, insulting words and gestures, signs of peace and hostility, proper way of conduct, titles and common figures of speech, accepted way of addressing various leaders. But, as time progressed he tried to broaden his knowledge. Customs, holy days, religious and mundane ceremonies, common foodstuffs, even legends and tales. From time to time, Gavin would cease his incessant barrage of questions and would ponder what he learned for burns and a time, and then returned with renewed vigor and sometimes ask more about the same subject from a different viewpoint.

As Jon cast his spear, Gavin's hand flew to his sword and his right foot was already out of the stirrup, but he remained calm as he saw the way he moved. And although his hand left the hilt, his foot did not return to the stirrup until Jon came out of the bushes with a rabbit. A cough hid his chuckle at his own nervousness. Good Gods, Gavin. Calm down a bit. It is too soon for danger. Relax a bit. Howland is here. And those three. Pay attention to the surroundings and to their behavior and the ambush is unlikely.
[hr]
By the time the night fell, Gavin was silent once more. He still had many questions, but as the time dragged on resisting pain became more important. He almost sighed with relief when Howland told them to dismount. But, the big man remembered all the tales his old mentor told him, and remained by his horse and took the saddle of the animal. He was determined to learn how to ride and take care of his gear himself as soon as possible. So again came the barrage of questions about the horses and saddles and the rest. Finally his horse was taken care of and the Dortman removed his own armor at last. So, all that remained was to sit down and tend to his sword while Jon cooked their meal. He sat a bit to the side and tried to relax his back and to sit as comfortably as he could, while he sharpened and oiled his already perfectly honed sword. It was his little quirk. It helped him focus his thoughts and his mind. And he used those burns to ponder on all he learned that day and to committing it to memory. It was a lot of facts, but he was confident he could remember most of it.

The big man ate in silence, but hot meal helped to ease his mind a bit. For a moment he even forgot about the trouble they had just before they left. But, as soon as the meal was done, he was ready to take care of it. This needs to be handled discreetly. So, let us start it as such. And he rose and made his way to the spot where Jon was seated. "Mind if I join you for a while?" And he did wait for the permission before he lowered himself down. "I like to be direct, so I'll make this short. I'd like to ask a favor of you Jon. Judging from the way you caught that rabbit, I'd say you know how to handle a spear. So, my question is: would you teach me some of what you know? Just the basics. I could teach you something in return. Or I could tell a story each night after dinner. I do that pretty well. So what do you say?"[/hr]
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk spent most of the trip struggling to stay in the saddle, not having yet mastered the art of riding. Several times he nearly fell, only just barely catching himself. As the day wore on he grew more and more sore from the unfamiliar saddle. By the end of the first mark Kelsyk's entire back and legs were stiff and sore. When Jon threw his spear, Kelsyk at first thought they were under attack and tried to dodge away. Unfortunately that movement was nearly enough to throw him out of the saddle. Kelsyk struggled to stay in his saddle, and not fall off. After recovering Kelsyk's confidence his ability at riding. To pass the time better, Kelsyk practiced drawing his weapons as he rode.

Kelsyk slowly dismounted from his horse, trying to ignore the pain and stiffness, as well as not wanting to fall off again. I'd say thats the last time I would ever ride a horse again, but since the journey isn't over, and I am not walking the rest of the way, I'd better get used to this. I think I need some time off. After dismounting and stretching to loosen his muscle. Taking out his fishing gear, Kelsyk headed to the stream to do some fishing. Reaching the stream he looked around for a quiet place to sit, finding one he sat down taking out his fishing gear. He attached tied them all together, before casting his line out to fish.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

As the band left the environs of the capital and moved into open country, Abner began to shed his earlier reserve. He accepted Howland's riding instruction more warmly and began to take a visible interest in the native flora as they passed. Recalling the descriptions from Brother Caedmon's Herball, the Vegetable Scientist attempted to identify living exemplars of those medicinal plants. From time to time, he even attempted to steer his mount closer to a vine or low-hanging branch to better examine a specimin. Such diversions, along with the ongoing challenge of maintaining his upright position in the saddle, distracted the gnome from growing physical discomforts of the ride. So absorbed was Abner that he largely missed the excitement of Red Jon's spear-throwing escapade. The big man's mention of a recipe for his catch did, however, pique the gnome's interest.

When the party stopped to make camp, Abner made a bee-line for the self-proclaimed cook and watched with a professional interest. "Can I being of some help, Master Red?" he offered cheerfully. "We are often cooking the rabbit in our home. I am finding parsely and thyme be much improving for the taste." At this, the gnome produced a bundle of each of the named herbs from his own small assortment. "It is being pity that we are not having also some shallot to be adding." The little herbalist jabbered on in this manner throughout the cooking process, all the while carefully watching Jon's methods and technique.

When the meal was ended and night began to fall, Abner finally began to notice the soreness in his nether parts. He regretted that he hadn't had the foresight to pack some kind of soothing ointment, and wondered whether one could be fashioned from the supplies at hand. Taking out his pipe, the gnome settled into deep contemplation of this problem, puffing away steadily until he was surrounded by a haze of bluish, pungent smoke.
--Geoffery Chaucer

Post by Guest »

The trip had been long and hard for the three rookies in particular. When they climbed of their mounts to join the others, Pip tripped off landing on his backside with a painful look, his already sore bum had now been even more painful. The two gritty dressed cavalry rooks opened in loud laughter at the sight, snickering together pointing and making animal noises as they laughed on. Pip got up and slumped to where the others were accompanied by the two other rookies, who seemed slightly annoyed by Jack and Fielding’s actions.

Everyone joined for the feast of rabbit and whatever was available no one had taken much along with them and it became pretty clear they had to life of the land.

Jack was the sort of fellow that wanted to be seen with the big boys and boldly sat down with them as if he was one of them. His buddy was much like him, except he seemed to dislike Howland’s kilt due to some unknown reason, which he didn’t want to share. Black haired Jack sat down by Gavin listening to his conversation with Jon and was rather delighted at hearing the sound of a tale being told. “Wow, yea tell a story bearded lad me and my bud can use that after such a long trip.” It was blunt but straightforward and in a way demanded Gavin to start talking. Fielding looked on while tightening a simple short bow he had with him, with a rather cross face. They would have to get to know one another better before a true friendship could be formed between some of the men.

The other two boys stayed somewhat to themselves quietly sitting by the other not saying much at all as they ate their food only looking a bit forward. They were shy youth in a way only making small conversation towards each other, perhaps waiting for someone to make initial contact. Neither had even introduced themselves to anyone accept to Pip who they felt a band with being he was even a newer kid to the military then them. Still they didn’t mind sitting by the fire listening to a tale made by Gavin, in a way they hoped to be accepted by the more experienced lot, maybe even open up if everything went ok.

Pip however decided to go to Abner who had seen doing odd things the entire trip. The rather small man was in the eyes of a simple farm boy, quite a sight he had never seen a gnome before neither one who looked at plants, weeds, and mosses with such interest. “Uhm… Sir, I be wondering why did you watch the plants on the way here, can you gather knowledge from talking to them?” For the eyes of simple boy Pip gnomes were mysterious people. Were he came from grains were more important and weed was cleared with a simple swipe of the scythe. Pip always thought small people where plant talkers, he remembered hearing a tale of it when he was four yahren old, the details however eluded him.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Kelsyk

A distant wolf howled, waking him from fitful, troubled sleep. Around him the dark forest creaked and moaned as if the gentle breeze was its breath. The others all slept nearby, Red Jon snored softly, and Howland was curled into a little ball like a child.

The wolf howled again. Much closer this time.

Footfalls of a large animal coming towards him could be heard and a large stag, as large as a horse, suddenly burst through the underbrush and came to a halt not ten paces away. It stood, watching and waiting, and the wolf howled again, it galloped into the trees and away, snapping branches and twigs as it moved.

A few flickers later, a figure could be seen in the trees outside of the camp. It was tall and lean, and moved like a man, but a crown of antlers sprang from it's head. It stood, watching... waiting...

Two large wolves, much larger than any dog crept into the camp. They were grey and white and padded into the circle of men unafraid and curious. One sniffed at Waymer's head, but still the man slept. The figure still stood, silent and watching...

One of the wolves reared it's head back and howled again, it was deafening to be so close. It's eyes flashed in the moonlight and it looked directly at Kelsyk...

All

Kelsyk awoke, snapped to consciousness by the hand of Howland upon his shoulder.

"You be dreamin' lad. Wake up. It's almost dawn."

Breakfast consisted of some dried rations that had been provided by the Count. Mostly hard tack crackers and bits of dried fruit which was passed out by Howland. The highlander had a new bit of grass he was chewing, as he saddled up the horses and let the others eat.

That's when he noticed that two of the men were gone. The two quiet boys were gone, their equipment lay scattered about but their horses were gone as well. A gaping hole had been cut into the side of their tent, and their bedrolls lay strewn about, evidence that they had been dragged away in the night...

Howland crouched low, looking over the scene as he chewed his stalk of grass silently...
Last edited by Vanadius on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Anger flashed across Gavin's face as Jack addressed him. He did not like the boy. But, he managed to force a smile to his lips. The story is not for you. You can listen. And we are not friends yet. And I don't think we will ever be. So move away. Unbearded one. "A story? Tonight? Nah, I don't think so. Though a song might do. Something merry and nice to cheer us up a bit after the meal. And then we can all turn in, cause quite frankly I am dead tired." For a flicker he pondered whether to speak about how he felt and then decided he would gain more if he did. "Truth be told, I was always more of a footman. These horses are useful, but my butt hurts. So a song and then some shuteye."

The big man stood up and made a serious face as if he were going to recite a love poem and then winked at Hodge and grinned. His gaze fell upon Abner and he grinned even more, with just a glint of mischief in his eyes. His voice rose, clear under the night sky. He was not much of a singer, but the song he sang was not demanding. He learned it from an old sergeant in Hafne and went red in face from shame.

" There was this tavern once
and its roof had a high dome
and to this tavern he went
this fine young gnome.

In Pan's Island it was
and fine drinks they served
that is why he came there
to test what he had heard.

Now though short he was
there will be ladies inside
Zander was never a fool
so in he went, smiling wide.

And sure they were there
not wearing much at all
and our gnomish friend
noted they were too tall.

But, just as he came to bar
and sought a nice comfy chair
his eyes beheld an angel
his eyes beheld maiden fair.

But, it was not so simple
as his eyes looked at her boobs
the maiden had four legs
and they all had hooves.

For she was maiden fair
but she was centaur too
And Zander did not care
he was a love struck fool.

So up the chair went
and landed next to maiden fair
he was up and now he could
he could at her bosom stare.

And with a feisty smile
moustaches did Zander stroke
"Hello, my pretty lady
I think my heart you broke."

An giggled did she
Isaura maiden fair
for he was a gnome
and he stood on a chair.

And Zander wasted no words
and soon they sought some hay
there was some fun to be had
and he took along the chair.

There were few chuckles
for our unlikely pair
but, they knew it would work
after all Zander had chair.

And he did mount her
she was his faithful steed
and it was not long until
he spilled his gnomish seed.

And thus our story ends
for with the help of a chair
she was maiden no more
although she was still fair."

He was sure the song would have a nice reception and once he was done he bowed grinning widely and went to his tent laughing. As he left he yelled back at them. "Thank you. You have been a wonderful audience."
[hr]Gavin was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes while eating the rations they called breakfast. Strangely he felt much better now that he was out of the city. Even his paranoia was gone to an extent. Strange how a little fresh air and travel does wonders for a man's mind. I should do this more often. Heck, if I stayed in the wilds none of this would have troubled me.

And then the paranoia came back with a vengeance. Without a word the big man rose, letting the piece of meat drop down from his hand. In few great strides he was next to Howland and studied the spot himself. With a single pass of his gaze he went over all the others trying to see who was missing. Those two quiet lads. Darn, I don't even know their names. All the others are here. And then he rose and stood for a flicker pondering what to do.

"All right. Break camp everyone. We are leaving in ten burns. I just got my first command and I will be damned if I let myself lose two of my men during our first night out. We are going after them." And the big man then turned to the clansman. "Howland. See if you can pick up a trail . I'll help you once everyone is ready. We don't have much time to spare and I know this draws us away from our mission, but we are going after them first."

Turning towards the others, Gavin caught Jack with his gaze. "You. Jack. Pack up the missing boys belongings and strap them to a horse. They will need them once we get them back." Without waiting to see if he was obeyed, he turned and strode to his own tent and started putting it down. "Pip. Once you are done with your stuff, come help me with Howland's tent." And as soon as boy joined him, Gavin started whispering. "You are the only one who spoke to them. I need to know their names, and what they spoke of last day. Did they talk about deserting? Did they mention anything that might help us locate them? I know it looks like they were taken, but I can't overlook any possibility. So, tell me what you know."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

There was a great deal of chuckling and laughter as Gavin wove his song about Zander and his bawdy escapades. All seemed to be shocked at first, but soon it was obvious they enjoyed it, and afterwards there was a smattering of broken applause and some hooting and whistling. Even Howland cracked a smile as he stoked and cared for their fire.

They went off to sleep that night with the feeling that all was well in hand. That is, until the morning came...

At first there was no reaction from Howland or any of the others to carry out any of the commands that Gavin had ordered. But after a few flickers of hesitation and a few questioning glances in the highlander's direction, they begrudgingly began to complete Gavin's wishes.

Howland however, made no moves to carry out the warrior's orders. He sat thoughtfully, still as a stone. He spoke quietly, but the words carried to Gavin as he began to break down his tent.

"Pip. Do as he says. I'll tell him of the boys."

The one called Pip looked scared and his head turned to look at the guide, and back to Gavin, as if he were not sure who to follow. With a helpless shrug he turned and followed Howland's words and began to break down Howland's tent and help Jack with the boy's things.

The highlander ran his fingertips along the broken stems of a patch of long grass where someone had stood. His eyes searched the ground for signs and evidence of who or what had come. Howland was calm and poised, but there was something that troubled him deeply, it was as plain as the look on his face.

"Names were James and Carlton. They ain't deserters. Along with Pip, they were give to me by Marten to train." He spat out his ever present blade of grass and continued.

"Whoever's got 'em, I don't think it's smart to pursue. See this print 'ere? That ain't no boot from Dort. Clans took 'em. Don't go fooin' yerself in thinkin' that the Clans be a bunch o' mindless savages. W... they... will strike when and how they want out here. As long as I'm witcha, they won't kill 'em. This is ou... their little way of saying hullo."

He snapped off a new bit of grass and bit down on it as he stood to face Gavin.

"Ye can disagree if ye choose, but ye be behavin' exactly like they wantcha to if ye do. They'll be expectin' ya to go off after 'em. They can ambush ye further that way, 'specially if you divide up. You wanted to know how the Clans work boy? Well I'm tellin' ye!"

"Show 'em that peace banner yer carryin' is more important to ye than some green boys."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin did not trouble himself over their reluctance. He knew that he had to earn their trust first. And if stuff like this happened he was not very likely to earn their trust. He felt like he managed to make a start last night with that song, but now he was not so sure. And as Howland gave the order to Pip, Gavin just nodded to the boy. It was better to reduce the confusion than to enforce an authority he never really had. The big man continued breaking down his own tent, and then moved to Howland.

Crouching next to him, he watched as the clansman examined the ground and did a little searching himself. Patiently he waited for Howland to finish his examination and then listened to his explanation. Somehow his words made sense. The big man's face was grim as he listened and in the end he merely nodded. He noted the way Howland had trouble when he spoke of his allegiance and decided to let him know he noticed. "Look, Howland. I am not a fool. You are my guide. If you are sure the boys will be all right, I trust ya. And, trust me, I don't think the Clans are a bunch of mindless savages. Yo...they.... are not. I would not be doing this if I thought that. You say this is you....their...way of saying hullo. Well, I say we have been greeted and I don't like their welcome. But... I know how important this is. So, I agree with you. We proceed as planned. If you are sure that the boys will be fine, so am I. Are you sure?" And he stared in the Clansman's eyes awaiting the answer.

Whatever the answer was the warrior from Dort turned and finished his packing. In haste he strapped his armor on and prepared his own horse. He waited for Howland to inspect it before he mounted and then rose up, this time quite easily. His back and behind were slightly sore and would be for days to come, but now the pain was not the foremost in his mind. So, it has started. They know we are here, and they probably know a bit about each of us. Those lads they took were nice, but I don't expect them to keep quiet. No matter. Nothing I said to them can work against me. He sat astride his horse and waited for the others to break camp and get ready.

"Alright, everyone. Slight change of plans. We are not going after James and Carlton. Yes, you heard that right. We are not. For two reasons. First is the importance of our mission and the orders I have. Now, believe me I am as worried about their safety as all of you." And here his gaze fell on Jack and Fielding. "But, Howland assures me they are fine. Maybe not comfortable and free, but alive and taken care of. In case you have not figured it out, we are being followed. Probably by Clans. They took our boys. Now, they could have killed us as we slept, but they haven't. Means they don't want us dead, but want us to know how dangerous they are. Fine by me. But... I am not taking unnecessary risks. From now on, we do everything with more care. Two sentries at camp, two mark shifts. In case you see or hear anything suspicious, raise the alarm. No heroics and no foolishness. We do this very carefully and we might just live through it. And, just in case I am wrong, and the boys are not fine, I assure you that I will get those responsible and make them PAY!" As he uttered those last words strange fire burned in his eyes and there would be no doubt he meant what he said. "Now, if you have any questions you can ask them as we ride. Mister Howland, when you are ready." And the big man waited for them to continue their journey.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Abner's postprandial meditations did not last long before they were interrupted by the awkward boy Pip.

Pip however decided to go to Abner who had seen doing odd things the entire trip. The rather small man was in the eyes of a simple farm boy, quite a sight he had never seen a gnome before neither one who looked at plants, weeds, and mosses with such interest. “Uhm… Sir, I be wondering why did you watch the plants on the way here, can you gather knowledge from talking to them?”

The gnome replied with a laugh. "No, no, I am not talking to these plant," he said, smiling (perhaps a little paternalistically) at the boy. "But you are being right that much knowledge is to be gathered from plant world." Pip was then treated to short lesson on some of the salient principles of Vegetable Science—the ways that plants reflect the climate and geography of a region, the interconnectedness of plant and animal life in natural cycles, and a few of their most notable virtues of specific herbs for maintaining health and treating illness—all rendered in the gnome's convoluted version of the human tongue. Very satisfied with his contribution to the young recruit's education, Abner settled in a deep and well-earned slumber.

"All right. Break camp everyone. We are leaving in ten burns. I just got my first command and I will be damned if I let myself lose two of my men during our first night out. We are going after them." And the big man then turned to the clansman. "Howland. See if you can pick up a trail. I'll help you once everyone is ready. We don't have much time to spare and I know this draws us away from our mission, but we are going after them first."

Abner was still shaking out the cobwebs and stretching out his stiffened limbs when the disappearance of the the two boys was discovered and the camp exploded into confusion. He stood uncertainly while the others put Gavin's order into action, chilled by the thought that somebody, or something, had been in their midst while they'd slept. Somehow, the gnome kept forgetting how dangerous a mission they had embarked on. Finally regaining his composure, Abner was about to begin packing his own few possessions when Gavin spoke up again.

"Alright, everyone. Slight change of plans. We are not going after James and Carlton."

The little scientist was relieved a bit by the change, not that proceeding without the missing men was an especially safe course of action either. As he finished packing the supplies, Abner made sure his blackthorn stick would be accessible as they rode, and he muttered prayers to the Father and Mother to watch over them all as they continued with their mission.
--Geoffery Chaucer

Post by Guest »

Pip was very pleased at the time Abner spent with him even though he had a hard time understanding the complex meaning of herbal science. The young boy dreams were filled with dreams of strange beings jumping and dancing around flowers, making him laugh softly in his sleep as they sprayed him with their powders. He awoke filled with first a great sense of joy and laughter but then it soon became confusion and distress at the sight of his lost comrades.
Indeed the youth had never suspected the two lads to go missing and he knew clan people must have wandered their campsite… Why were we not all killed or dragged off into the fog? Howland must have kept us safe; they wouldn’t hurt him because he is an admired member of them… At home an enemy would never spare your life… Life out in the Islay is so different and confusing. Young Pip helped break camp with solemn and empty look upon his face.

Packed upon the back of his horse the youth made way of again another trip upon his calm little mare. He had gotten used to riding now and noticed he had been better a horseman then he had ever thought to be. Only the getting on and off was something he had still a lot of trouble with. He felt ready to be venturing and stayed close to Howland serving all his needs without raising a word or disagreement. Pip was a sucker for leadership and in a way felt at ease having someone to watch over him.

Jack felt reluctant of gathering the dead boys things and felt annoyed by the entire prospect of the venture. The lost boys things had nothing he felt valuable, merely a few basic items and almost useless weapons like a club and hand axe. He filled them in a sack he had gotten from Pip’s possessions. Pip had a few heavy-duty canvas bags from his farm days and they were pretty handy in holding the meagre items of the lost lads. After this he gave them to the farm boy who owned the sack, not wanting to carry the jumble himself.

Jack’s friend was rather angry at Howland feeling set up by this man but also puzzled on why he hadn’t finished them off in the night. Jack and Fielding could be seen discussing plans with each other; silent whisper between the two went back and forth. The lads felt Gavin was doing a poor job at keeping the pack but weren’t showing this except through an occasional annoyed glance. Especially Fielding felt the need of serious talk with Gavin who he felt was being foolish travelling into the wolf’s domain. They both took to the horses wielding wooden spears; they planned to not be caught off guard during their ride as they did during sleep. At first sight of a clansman they would ride them down and destroy ‘m light cavalry style. A good clansman was a dead one in Fielding’s eyes… he would never forget how they took his father’s life.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Howland took his time in answering Gavin's question. There was a hint of anger in the man's tone, as if he were being accused of lying.

"Aye, they're fine." he replied tersely. The highlander finished what little packing he had left and mounted up, waiting for the others to finish. He stared off distantly as Gavin issued his new orders.

Wordlessly, he snapped his reins and began guiding them up into the hills and onto a narrow game game trail that looked like it snaked right up the side of the nearest mountain. This day would be spent climbing to be sure.

The others paid little heed to whatever conflict between Gavin and Howland, they were far too busy gathering their gear and readying themselves for another day in the saddle. Waymer had a few choice comments about wanting something from Carlton's pack, but most found his jokes in poor taste and he silenced himself before too long.

They walked their mounts up into the high mountains for a large part of the day. The going was slowed because of the unfamiliarity of riders and their tender backsides, but Howland kept them moving forward and on track.

They stopped for a break at a small pool to water the horses and as they dismounted to let the horses drink, the young boy called Pip started yelling at the tops of his lungs, clearly frightened.

"THERE'S BLOOD OVER HERE! THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!"

The youngster bent over and retched, emptying his breakfast onto the grass. The sounds of weapons being drawn could be heard as Waymer and Hodge readied themselves for combat.

Red Jon approached the boy carefully. He was not far, only a few paces away near a patch of trees. Jon's face went ashen and he lowered his spear, waving the others off. He placed a hand on the sick youngster's shoulder to reassure him that all was well.

Howland walked slowly over to the pair and surveyed the scene.

"Gods." Was all he said, as he turned to look at Gavin.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Howland could be as angry as he wanted, for all Gavin cared. His intent was not to question the Clansman's motives, but to gather the facts about the situation. And anger was not Howland's sole property, since the big Dortman himself was a bit beside himself. He forgot to place the sentries and he was responsible for the two missing boys. But, for now he could do nothing. So his rage was held in check to be unleashed if something happened to the boys.

The ride that followed was one Gavin endured in silence. All he offered were answers to the questions the others asked, and even then they were terse, one or two word sentences. The mood he was in was very grim. The usual questions he kept asking Howland during their first day were far from his mind. Instead, he thought about the missing boys and the reasons he was on that mountain path. He kept comparing them trying to see if it was worth it. And no matter how hard he tried he could not justify it. No reason he named, could outweigh the loss of their lives. I will get them back. Or die trying.

As the break came, he just sat apart from the other and chewed on a piece of dried meat for a while. His anger was taken out on that piece of meat as his teeth crunched it at an amazing pace. And then Pip screamed and Gavin was up in an instant. His sword came out and his eyes fell upon Howland, a question hanging there. James and Carlton? Left as a warning? And then he saw Red Jon's face. Lowering the sword he strode there and snapped a few orders on the way there. "Jack, watch the horses. Waymer, Hodge. Watch the path. No surprises."

He knew they did not have faith in him yet, but this was a necessary precaution. And, no matter how much he wanted to see what was it that drove Pip over the edge, he stopped by the boy and placed his hand on his shoulder as well. "You alright, Pip? Jon. Please take him to the horses and get him to drink some water and eat something." The look he gave the veteran was pleading. And he did not move until the pair moved away. Only then the big man walked to Howland's side to survey the scene that brought such fright to the boy. And even before he saw he steeled himself trying to prepare for the worst. Please, let it not be, James and Carlton. Please, let it not be them.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Even though the morning's discovery had him on edge, Abner spent this day's ride much as he had the previous one's. The gnome kept mostly to himself, diverting himself with continued study of Dortenese flora. He was, however, more careful to stay close by the others in the group and looked upon every shadow and thicker patch of undergrowth as potentially camoflaging an enemy. He was tense and grateful for the break when they stopped to water the horses, and he nearly jumped out o his skin when the boy Pip began screaming about blood.

Abner grabbed his stick and ran to where the commotion was. Disregarding Jon's warning, he forged ahead to see what had happened, arriving at the scene just flickers after Howland.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The others fanned out, following Gavin's orders flawlessly. The moved into defensive positions with silent and deadly grace.

Perhaps nothing could have prepared them for the sight that awaited them.

A figure had been hung between two trees, bound by the arms and feet by thin wire, spread wide. Perhaps a little too wide as the skin and muscle of the figure's arms and legs had been stretched and torn and the wire had bitten deep into the flesh.

It was difficult to tell if it had been a man or a woman. Very little skin remained on the figure. No hair. No face. Just exposed muscle and raw tissue. It's fingers and toes had been severed, and could be found lying about in various places nearby as they had most likely been casually tossed aside by whomever had removed them.

The figure's skin lay in a heap nearby as well. Flayed off in large chunks and thrown to the dirty ground like one discards a dirty shirt. Bloody bits of flesh lay all around in a gruesome and horrific scene.

Howland examined the large clump of skin carefully, looking at the Gnome in obvious disgust.

"Was a woman." He croaked, his voice tight and thick. He stood and walked away without another word. The others all looked at Gavin mutely, wondering what they were going to do now.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

He tried to prepare himself for what he was to see. He failed miserably. Only by closing his eyes, did he manage to hold bile high in his throat and, for a few flickers he just stood there and focused on his breathing. Not James and Carlton. Not them, Howland's words reached his ears and the big man winced. A woman. What sort of creature could do this to a human being? To a woman? And what reason could there be for such a thing? Death and killing I can understand. But, this......

He just stood there unmoving, and slowly forced the image of the body to reform in his mind. And after half a burn or so he was once more ready to open his eyes. This time there was no nausea. Only the tightening of his features proved he even noticed the body. He turned to the others and yelled. "Gather the woods. And build me a funeral pyre. Hurry up, we need to leave as soon as possible." And then he took the first step forward. And stopped. Then another more. And then another with less reluctance.

Dortman approached the body and stood before her. He felt nothing as he stood this close. He saw nothing. Heard nothing. Smelled nothing. He merely stood and stared at her, without seeing. Long flickers passed before his hand moved to her cheek, or to the place that was a cheek once. With a soft touch he caressed he flesh and whispered. "Poor girl. I am so sorry. So sorry. I....." His voice cracked and a single tear rolled down his cheek. And then taking a deep breath the big man he turned to the task at hand. His vision became blurred as tears gathered there and he had to touch the wire to realize it could not be cut easily.

The dagger was going to be of no use. And he knew what he had to do. No other choice. No way to set her down gently. Why does this weigh so heavily on me? Why do I feel the need to punish those who did this? And with strange calm the big man pulled his sword out and swung in the same fluid motion. His target was the spot where the wire was tied to the tree. First her foot was freed. Then her hand. His eyes were shut as she fell to the ground and he just waited for the sounds to fade before he turned and walked to the other tree without casting a glance at her body. Two more slashes and once more his eyes closed. And when the howling of the wind was the only thing he heard, only then did he turn.

Without emotion he approached her body once more and knelt next to her. Tears streaked down his cheeks. He did not care about that. All he cared was the body before him. With meticulous care he slowly placed the girl upon her back and arranged her arms so they were crossed at her chest. And then he just sat there and waited for the pyre to be done. No words were uttered. He just sat and raised his eyes from time to time to see how the others were doing. And as soon as they were done he rose and picked her in his arms.

Slowly he went to the pyre and placed her on top of it once more folding her arms. And then he walked back to where she was found and gathered the rest of her body in his arms. Her skin and her fingers and toes. And then he placed all that by her feet. And for the first time in days he prayed. It was a silent prayer and only his lips moved. "My Lord, spirit of fighting, I have not been a devout follower of late. I have never been. Yet, I ask that you hear me now. Take her soul and keep it safe. Ease her suffering and give her revenge. I offer my body as a vessel for that. Guide my path and let me find those who made her suffer. And give me strength to make them suffer as she did. Let it not end like this. Give her justice. Make me an instrument of justice. And let her soul have peace."

He went to his backpack and found his lantern at the bottom and then poured some oil over the body and the wood. With strange calm he returned the lantern back to its spot and then made a spark with his flint and steel and stepped back as the flames jumped. For a flicker he stood and then he turned to the others. His eyes were dry by then and he looked at each in turn and then spoke. "Remember this scene. Remember this day. Remember this girl. And then you will know why we need to finish this mission. Why James and Carlton were left behind. Why I am being such a bastard. Do you want to see more scenes like this? Or do you want to prevent them?"

He stopped for a flicker and then scowled. "The worst part is we don't know who did this. The Clans? Our own troops? Or someone else? We press on. But, remember this. And each time you find yourself wondering Why am I doing this? ask yourself Do I want to see more scenes like that? And then decide. Now, mount up. We are moving out once more. I want to see the end to this war as soon as possible." He started towards his horse and whispered. "So I can find and kill the bastards who did this to her. Make them pay. Make them pay."

Post by Guest »

Pip could not stand up after the sight the horrid image haunted him. He had seen a pig slaughtered, skinned and gutted but this had nothing to do with that… A woman he could hear Howland say and all the young lad could do was fall on his knees face into the grass and weep. The youth seemed broken, as memories appeared into his mind, the woman could’ve been his own mother. No one… should do such an act people like that… why would anyone do such an act on a woman…

Jack was also shocked at the sight of it scratching his neck nervously uncertain of who or where from the woman might have been. He felt a large chunk in his throat Jack had seen carnage but to this extent he had certain not… The smell was troubling more for him then his friend Fielding who had seen slaughter in the eye and didn’t even blink. Still even he remained quiet at view of the entire scene… They both started moving taking some simple branches and scrubs. It wasn’t going to be a very powerful fire and Fielding mumbled something about oil to his friend.

After the scene Pip walked shaking back towards his mare and leaned against it as he tried to calm his nerves. Getting up went as shaky as ever but that mattered little they had good reason of doing so. Unlike Pip, Fieldings face was indifferent not showing much emotion at the scene, it mattered little to him who the woman was… but he did not show his thoughts or notions about it. He believed the clans had a coming to them for harassing folk for years… It had always been an issue for land, cattle and grassy pastures. His father had been a wealthy trader who had a bad run in with a marauding clansmen… It was this that made young Nicolas Fielding determined to join the cavalry and rout this savages back into their high mountains. He tightened his thighs unto the saddle looking with disinterest, his spear tightly gripped in the right hand.

Jack looked quietly along the sides for shreds of cloth that might identify the woman. I might be able to see trails… small specks of tartan from clan colours… the simple linen of a lady from Dort… Jack shook his head, as it could not be anyone else then a clanswoman. This far up clans roamed the land and he knew that them being at the sight might draw the guilt to themselves. The once steady Jack, specialist of his half a dozen had doubts in the stability of the pacts of Dort. Once upon a time the six lads had sworn a code of dress even as far putting grease in the hair and refraining from a regular bath. Visions of friendship echoed his mind; he missed his fellow lads and felt troubled being with Fielding who was in his eyes a cold-eyed frog… If Jack wasn’t careful Howland would lead them to doom or Fielding for that matter, it was better to stick to Gavin rather then cause a mess.

As Jack got on his horse as well but did this quite close to Gavin, it was going to be time to speak instead of silence. Soft talk was the key and with a soft moan of troubling the young Jack spoke to a lad who was of his own age. “Gavin… we are going to get the blame if any clansmen sees us here. A big chance will be some of us aren’t going to make it… Howland knows more then he is telling… Clans fight among each other in this case something is causing troubles. I have seen troubles in patrols stretching up to a week ago, trails of heavy hoof, most likely knights… burning carts… broken weapons. I think… Dort is fighting their own guerrilla war with the clansmen.” Jack looked nervous telling this he was aware that questioning a knight’s code of honour was something you could be punished with corporeal punishment. Opening his baggy leather jacket Jack showed scales hidden beneath it. Slamming his leather glove against his chest the youth looked at Gavin and gave a peculiar smirk. “Let’s kill these beasts…” Jack spoke loudly whilst placing leather with iron open helmet.

Return to “Dort Archive”