The War of Clan MacGregor (SH 26th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

The War of Clan MacGregor (SH 26th)

Post by Vanadius »

Dark and sinister dreams danced around them until they woke, leaving some refreshed and glad to be awake, and others mourning their fragmented lack of completion. Everything seemed distant and hazy.

Curiously, they found themselves lying on the ground, out in the open, and untied and free. Their weapons and belongings had been taken, but they were otherwise unfettered and free to move about as they pleased.

It was early, birds chirped and sang in the cool morning air. And colder. They were higher in elevation from where they were before and a glance down the mountainside yielded any who did so a whole new vantage. A large stone platform was nearby, merely a few steps away. It had been cut into the rough slope of the mountainside, and it's circular surface was supported by cut stone stilts underneath to make it level. What it was or what it had been, was anyone's guess, but there were several people all milling about on it. As people parted, a figure could be seen. On a low stool in the middle of the stone platform sat a man with snowy white hair and soft blue eyes. He was absently chewing on a hangnail, lost in thought, unaware or unconcerned that these people had been brought to him. Around him were several men in tartan kilts and had the rough, uncivilized look of highlanders.

A man named Howland was among them, and one called Red Jon, and another called Waymer. There were others. Hardy and lean. Rough and weathered looking men that looked over at them, watching and waiting. Carlton and James stood nearby. They looked unharmed and well cared for. As did the others. Other faces, children and youngsters sat nearby in a rough semicircle on and near the platform. Some wore different colors and plaids than the others, but nevertheless seemed a part of the gathering.

A large man with a wicked looked claymore strapped to his back approached as they began to show signs of waking. He stopped short and stood by at the ready, a patient and calm expression on his face. A name could be seen inscribed into the metal pommel of the claymore, but at this distance, it was hard to read.

"Good mornin' to ye. I am Ymir, the 'ands of Milkhaire. Soon ye will meet one called Duncan, who be the mouth of Milkhaire. Duncan is fetchin' some peoples to the proceedins' and will attend to ye shortly. Until then, there is water..." He indicated a bucket with a wooden ladle floating in it. "... Drinking will help ease the 'eadaches and nausea from the silverfoil. Now be at rest and relax. The chieftains have called a meetin' and ye are to 'ave a front row seat. Now, ye be guests of Clan MacGregor, and ye'd be wise to sit and hold yer peace until it comes time for ye to speak." Ymir fell silent then, turning his back to them and watching those on the platform for a signal. When he turned, the name on his sword became clearer and easier to read. inscribed into the metal was the name 'Mathilda'.

Another tall man, lean and strong came into view. He was leading a young woman and an adhiel from the high timber towards the stone circle. In his hands was Gavin's peace banner. The woman and the Adhiel's faces were known only to them from those dark dreams.

"That be Duncan and ." Ymir half turned to inform them. Duncan handed the young woman the peace banner and nodded at her, a silent gesture for her to stand ready. Duncan approached and nodded at Ymir, who began walking back towards the stone circle. He addressed the recently awakened.

"I am Duncan. You will soon hear three beats on a drum. That means the War council has started. You are expected to remain silent, until addressed. As you can see, the others are unharmed and tended to. They have cooperated and told us much about your mission and who you are. We hope you will be as forthcoming and honorable as they have been. As the mouth of Shaman Milkhaire, I will speak for him when you are to be questioned."

He gave each of them a stern look. It was the only warning they would receive.

Duncan relaxed his stance, and waited for the drums to signal the start of the council, leaving the others to do likewise.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Fragments and memories. Pink dragons and harsh words. Demons and torture. Old scars and a kiss.

Syrawenn was having a hard time snapping out of the intense dreams of the last few days yet their stay with the MacGregors had been something of a relief after shuttling between groups and factions for so long.

And I'm not even bringing the time thing in here! Which reminds me....The girl frowned. Bloody netherbats, I don't even know what the date is. Damn...stupid stupid stupid dreams. STUPID.

Her eyes darted to the motionless man on the ground. A blush crept up from her neck to her cheeks, a scowl taking over her face as the girl noticed her skin growing warmer.

Well, SHIT how was I supposed to know he was REAL?

It had been a welcome distraction to practice her bow, even more welcome after the increasingly heavy dreams. Soon her imagination turned her targets into pink dragons, verbose kings and undetailed demons. It took her mind off the repeated presence of certain people in her nights.
Certain people she had not even seen until a few days ago after those first dreams.
Certain people she found very hard to ignore now that they had stepped out of the safety of dreams and into the reality of wakey wakey land.

DAMNIT! She scolded herself again as her fingers accidentily muddled up the white flag of peace. It's just a dream...it wasn't about death. So it means something else...nobody died. Nobody died, it's okay. It's coincidence.
Oh yeah, sure...coincidence. His name fitted!

Her eyes found Howland, incidentilly Keane's uncle but also the one who had spoken the name out loud. With everything that was going on, the adjusting to clan life, the dodging of people she didn't feel like speaking to and the fitting of information here and there the girl's mind was severely troubled. She did not need extra complications!

So? He doesn't have to be a complication. He won't know anyway. It's just your stupid dreams.

Sea-green eyes rested on Gavin yet again, quickly turning away before he could notice her. Bats tumbled in her stomach as she got more and more angry at herself with each passing flicker. She did NOT need this! There were things to be done and ....MORE things to be done. Dreams were supposed to stay dreams -unless it involved dying, which it did not this time so why is he real, oh MAN, I'm pissed off now!

Part of her just wanted to be angry at this Gavin. How DARE he be real? Could he not have stayed a figment of her imagination? The girl wasn't ready for anyone like this and told herself over and over again that these dreams were NOT going to be shared around the campfire...

Uh...but he told things. About his fight. And this is a warcouncil. So they might have to know. But then I have to tell. And they already think I'm nuts.

So let em think. Nice and safe, right?

Mjah...but let's just see what THEY say first, kay? It's not like they were sporting those sigils Howland talked about. Story doesn't make sense though. I know he doesn't want a fight. I know he mistrusts the count. But I can't tell. I ain't got no proof save a dream nobody else will remember.

The girl fidgeted, jumping from one foot to the other. She wanted to be out of here before the man might notice her. Gwayne seemed to be the best hiding spot right now.

This was going to be a very, very long council.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

No matter how much he fought, sleep claimed him in the end. But, instead of dreamless darkness that he expected from the sleeping poison, something else came to him. Dark and troubled dreams. Dreams of demons and sacrifices. Of old friends and new allies. People he never met. Feelings he never had. Things he never imagined. And all of it crashed on him at the same time.

The dizziness he felt was only in part thanks to the drug they used. The rest was the swirling jumble of images in the big man's mind. He could almost feel the shiver run up his spine as the flying fishes bit him. The bad taste in his mouth as he saw a beautiful olive skinned lady drinking blood, unaware what it was. A dark armored warrior, pinned to the wall, his face hidden by the helmet, as Gavin held the knife in his hand. And he could almost grasp the words of the tall dark women woman with green eyes. Her name was still known to him. Amica. Shamaness. Friend. Ally. Fighter.

He could almost smell the forest leafs as he sat sharpening his sword. Two faces came to him. A tattooed adhiel and a strange girl. And she was of importance. Something about her was important. Something he could not put his finger on, but was there. Don't ignore her words. Very important to listen to her. Dunno why. Dunno...... Yeah, dunno why. And he had the strange urge to seek her out. To find her. So he could remember the missing part.

More images floated there. Pink dragons and scent of strawberries. And dancing. Two familiar faces. Olive skinned woman. She was in his hands and she was very pretty. And he liked her. She knew the right things to say and she was kind. But, something was amiss. It was the short girl from the forest. She was left alone. No one to dance to. Though she was the Queen. She deserves to be one. And to be happy. Not sad like she was. But, the King came and he danced with her. Dragon ruined it. And took them away. And two heroes came to the rescue. No. Not heroes. It was not heroic. It was needed. It took bravery, but in the end they only did what was proper. What should have been done.

There was a bath too. And there were some harsh words. A man was there. And Gavin disliked him. Finley. Bastard. Stone heart. Hurt. He is hurt. And he hurts people in return. And even though Finley was there, Gavin was happy. The olive skinned woman was there again. And he could almost remember her name. He did remember the scent of wild thyme. And a name of the flower. Rose. Rosi. Yes, that's her name. Rosalie. Thank you for being there. For giving me that moment of happiness. For sharing it. Making me calm. He needed that. He needed a bit of rest.

And then there was a disturbing dream. And the strange auburn haired girl was there too. She and the strange eyes she had. Grey and green and emerald, all at the same time. Changing, mirroring her emotions. And they were so close. He knew there was more to that dream. Danger and pain and fighting. But, one thing remained in his memory. Those eyes. And a kiss. Despair. Suffering. And a kiss to take them away. Her kiss.

And there was one more dream. This one more vivid then the others. Detailed. There were others in that dream. Amber. She was hurt. Alone. And I could not help. Only hurt her more. Vaga was there too. And she was the enemy. She was the one who spoke to Hezekiah in the vision. And the girl with strange eyes was there too. Syrawenn. Her name is Syrawenn. And..... I chose her. I..... Lov.... Love her? Do I? But, I never met her. Only in my dreams. Is she real? Yet, the feeling would not go away. There was something about that girl that drew him to her. She needed him. And he needed her.

It was the sun and birds that woke him up. It all seemed like a dream, but soon it was apparent it was not. At least the betrayal was not the dream. Howland was still there and rage built up inside Gavin. The pain and nausea were ignored as his gaze burned holes in the guide's head. You only needed to ask, Howland. And I would have followed. Now, one of us has to die. But, it will be a fair fight. Yes, it will. And with reluctance the big man pealed his gaze from the dead man, just in time to see the large man approaching.

With a groan, the Dortman rose to greet him. He noted with some satisfaction that they were not bound, but his belongings were gone. The armor was not there and he was partially thankful for that. His body would be one big lump of pain if he had slept in it. But, it was obvious. They were prisoners there. And they were not trusted. Fine, then. Have it your way. I am still alive. And that means you need me. Let us see if you can get what you need.

Only when Ymir spoke did Gavin realize they have met already. Another traitor. Gods, how many were there? Johann you fool. You have your war now. And you just made my mess deeper than it was. Yet, there was no sense in being rude. With a nod, the ex-sergeant was greeted. "I am Gavin. But, you already know that." He took a few steps towards Ymir and stopped just out of his swords reach. "Relax. I won't cause trouble. I am here to make peace."

The few steps to the bucket were not that difficult, but the headache was distracting him. So, he drank some water and splashed his face with it, rubbing his cold hand onto the back of his neck. Still kneeling over the bucket, the big man turned to Ymir and his face grew stoic. "We have met, you and I. You were the Sergeant then. I see Count has chosen his men with care. Bloody fool, he deserves to lose for this." And then the big man just sat there and waited.

The woman was familiar. And so was the adhiel. But, he could not be certain. Not until he saw her eyes. He almost missed what Duncan said, but quickly caught up. "I am Gavin. I can promise to be honorable. As to how forthcoming I will be depends on the treatment I receive. So far, I am not impressed. I came in peace. And I was attacked. Ambushed. While I was carrying a peace banner." He pointed to the thing girl held. "That peace banner. And I was betrayed. By the man I trusted. For no reason I can see."

His voice was calm and his face betrayed no anger. In fact it showed only a hint of sadness on it. "I have two favors to ask. I would like the banner to be by my side during the Council. You have my word I nothing will happen to it. It is only that it was given to me and I would like it to remain by my side." He awaited the answer before he asked the other favor. "Second favor is not so important. I would like to have a word with Howland before the Council starts. Again, I promise I won't do anything but talk. Grant me that and I will give you my word that I will as forthcoming as possible during the Council."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Not doing anything, just adding stuff I forgot in the last post, hence my not waiting for Gwayne.

ic
The guy woke up and talked. It sent a shiver down her spine to hear that familiar voice. The choice of words, the tone of voice…it all fitted right into the picture; or rather: in her dreams.

Does this mean the rest is true too?
I wonder if kissing him really feels that good, then.
Oh, SHUDDUP!

Syrawenn felt quite safe behind Gwayne. For once her lack of impressive height served her well.

Besides, IF what I remember is actually true...I'm gonna have one NETHER of a time explaining just how I could know...I'm gonna be branded a witch before you can say blueberryfruitcake and wham, back to square one. No, sirree! I'll hold my mouth! Once is QUITE enough!

Brave words with which the girl tried to keep her mood up. The truth was that this might just turn incredibly ugly incredibly fast. The last few days with the clan had left her uncomfortable and confused. The intense dreams kept her busy while she should be paying attention to her surroundings. Somewhere she just knew that her information would be correct. She knew it. And she also knew this meant she'd probably be thrown out or killed. But at the same time that information was important. Impotant enough to be able to get those clans together against the treacherous count.

I ain't got no proof! The voice screamed. Damnit, he only told me he had suspicions! It’s the clans themselves that seem to agree, though. Can’t I use that if there is a discussion? It’s what that man needs, right? To have the clans know about what he thinks? And if they already agreed….all the easier!

It was quite impossible to use his name right now. It would make things even more real. Yet images kept spooking her. The way he moved, the way he talked. There was so much emotion barely hidden in there that she was forcefully reminded of what happened right after the stupid demondream. There had been a choosing and it was her fault he did it. And yet he had picked her for some weird reason.

WISHFUL thinking! Or in this case wishful dreaming. If all of this is real, there is a girl out there who really knows him. If all of this is real…damnit, it CAN’T be real! Dreams is one thing…to have that guy walking around in wakey wakey land….No. Not healthy. Not good. I’ll hurt him. I always do. I don’t care about guys. I don’t want stupid guy stuff. I don't care about people. I should get the flip out of here. But the clans then...I promised...What if I mess things up? What if they know about my dreams? I can't let on that I remember em. I can't tell em. I can't tell him.

Almost his eyes caught her, but the brownhaired girl looked down immediately, fiddling with the flag he mentioned. If push came to shove, she'd have Gwayne hand the damn flag over. With an angry gesture she threw the eternal braid back over her greenclad shoulder. Things were not proceeding according to plan!
Last edited by Syrawenn on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Continuing some conversation as we wait for others to jump in. Call it inconsequential, idle chatter before the main event as we fill in some of the extra details for Syra and Gwayne...

IC:

Gavin / Abner / Kelsyk

"The banner remains as is at the request of the chieftains. When it is called for, it shall be brought forth. Fear not. It has been kept with honor, and the traditions will be upheld."

The one called Duncan gave Gavin a strange look over his shoulder at the warrior's second request. He turned to regard the man, and after a cursory once over, he waited until Howland looked in his direction, and then signalled for him to over.

The guide nodded and began to make his way over. He looked different somehow. Although his hair was cut short in the style of many men from Dort to help him blend in with the crowds in that city, out here in the wilderness, he looked more relaxed, more at home. His kilt bore a white stripe in the weave, something rare and unusual in these parts and unlike any other tartan that they had seen before. All of the MacGregors wore it as a tribute to their holy leader.

Although he looked different as he came much closer, it was obvious this was the same old Howland. A familiar stalk of grass stuck out from between his lips as he chewed it. There was no sense of smug victory, no smile at the way he had outmaneuvered them. Nothing to indicate he felt anything at all. Just a curious look as to what he had been brought over for. Duncan explained Gavin's wish, and the highlander guide brought his gaze up to Gavin's in mute questioning.

Gwayne / Syrawenn

The last days had brought something unusual for Gwayne and Syrawenn as they travelled with Milkhaire and the MacGregors. The most unusual was the way they had been blindfolded for the better part of two full days. The holds of Clan MacGregor were secret, sacred and holy, and it was explained to them that no living being, shall know their location without being a part of the clan. Even the children were initially blindfolded, which after some struggling and crying, they accepted and adapted to.

True to his calling, Duncan served as the mouth of the tribal shaman. Any questions that were asked, directly or not, were answered by the large blonde man. The other man, Ymir was more silent and far more active. He brought Milkhaire his meals and fussed over the strange shaman, making him change his shirt after the priest had fallen over in a patch of mud, bringing him a cloak against the cold mist of the high mountains. The big man had almost been motherly in his ministrations, despite wearing an ugly looking sword and the bearing of a mighty and hardy warrior.

The children seemed to adapt well. Clan life was a homecoming for them and they played and danced with other children, Trevor especially. It seemed that Gwayne's fears of mistreatment were unfounded, as they were welcomed in warmly. The journey revealed Keane's uncle, Howland and when introduced, the highlander grunted and chewed a random stalk of grass. They would come to know that habit all to well as they travelled as each time the blindfolds were removed, it was often the first thing they saw.

It was dawn of the first new day when the unconscious forms of Gavin, Abner, Kelsyk and some others were made accessible to Gwayne and Syrawenn. They were well cared for, despite their state, and treated with kindness and respect. Dangerous looking men named Red Jon and Waymer carried Gavin in a litter, and Kelysk by some others. Abner was buckled to the back of a hardy woman with a swordbelt. She was a fiery thing, fierce and independent. but she cared for the Gnome with a tenderness that belied her explosive temperament. She was young and beautiful and the men called her Scarlett, for her brilliant auburn hair. She took immediately to Ardra, and the two travelled together, conversing softly. Ardra would even speak to her while blindfolded.

Up and up they went. Into the true highlands for two solid days before emerging here at this place. When at last the blindfolds had been pulled off by Howland for the final time, they stood near a large hall made from split timbers and rough stones. A small village sprang up from the surrounding mountainside. Tents, low huts and lean-to's could be seen in every direction. They were given two small huts of stone and brought food. All of their possessions were theirs to keep, on their honor, and any requests were fulfilled if it were possible. The other clanspeople tended to be rather close lipped with the strangers, and so the silent treatment was the norm for questions.

It was close to dawn of the third day when they were brought down a long trail to the stone circle. The 'guests' as they were called had now awakened, and it seemed that it was time for everyone to be gathered for council. Gwayne, although very much left alone, was treated with formal respect and cold courtesy. His heritage was clearly striking against the many humans, and he stood out like a sore thumb among them, although perhaps not quite as much as the Gnome called Abner. Syrawenn had been handed a peace banner to represent the outlanders. Duncan explained she was chosen because of her support and good treatment of the children, and because as a woman, she represented harmony. She was merely instructed to hold it until it was called for.

They were brought to the foot of the circle. Milkhaire was present and was currently engaged in watching a ladybug make her way across the flat, worn stones. To others far away, he merely appeared as if he were staring down or sleeping. To Gwayne and Syrawenn, he merely appeared as he always had.

Now everyone was waiting for the Council to begin.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

His first request was denied, but he was satisfied. In reality the reason for his request was to appease his hurt a bit. And he was hurt by the lack of trust Howland showed. By the betrayal he suffered. He was really trying to help, and he was trying to make people see it. Yet, nobody seemed to be listening. Nobody, but her. The girl with strange eyes. She listens and she is wise. The banner was not that important, but it would have been good to have it by his side. "Fine. I can accept that."

Howland coming brought a mix of emotions in the big man. Anger for what was done, but it was tempered with sadness for the same reason. For Gavin was, no matter how much he went through these past few weeks still a boy. And he was still learning not to trust people blindly. Like he did with Howland. Tears almost welled in his eyes, but he pushed them back. I won't let you see this. I will break you instead. Hurt you like you hurt me. Show you just what kind of bastard you are. And so he sat and waited.

A nod was almost imperceptible. But, it was there. No sense in being impolite. For a couple of flickers the big man remained silent and just watched the Highlander." I needed to ask you something. Our last conversation was interrupted by silverfoil sleep." The grin he showed was anything, but genuine. It was more of a snarl than a smile. "So, I would like to finish now that my head is clear. If you don't mind? I think we might just have enough time."

He did indeed wait for approval before he pushed on. He did rise to make sure they were somewhat on the same level, but did not come any closer. Intimidation was not what he was aiming at. Friendly words could hurt so much more. "You never asked why I was doing this. While I will leave the details for the Council, I can tell you this is my wish. The peace was my idea. This mission was my idea. I had to talk the Count into it. He wanted to fight. He wants this war. Or at least the others convinced him this is the best way." He made a slight pause, to let his words sink in and then pushed onward. "The truth is simple. You only needed to talk to me. Tell me you knew who could help. And I would have said yes. I am hurt. I really am. By the lack of trust, by the lack of faith, by the dirty trick you used. Next time, if there is a next time...." And he let a sense of hopelessness and finality show in his voice. "Next time show a bit of trust in me. Ask before you force me to do something. You will find me very cooperative. Were this not so important to me, you could have taken your bloody Council and shoved it up yer arse for all I cared. But, this is my mission, so I will try to behave."

He did lean closer here, but just a bit and this time the smile was even a bit scary. Too sweet and too false. "I hope this works out alright. I really do. And I hope we both make it through this alive. So we can have a nice little chat. To settle our differences. To settle then once and for all." And at that the big man squared his shoulder and stood up straight. No emotions was on his face, but his eyes stared into Howland's. And he just kept staring.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Still fiddling with the banner Syrawenn was reminded of what exactly she was holding and why.

Representative.
Harmony.
Yeah RIGHT!

The flag crumbled under her restless fingers. "Woops." She mumbled, seeing the symbol in a less than pristine state. Still hidden behind Gwayne's back the girl tried to fold it back to something of an acceptable form. It would make such a bad impression if harmony was disturbed by smudges...

Syrawenn had a lot to mull over. The blindfold drama she'd already put behind her. The few moments in between that they'd been allowed to see had been bad enough to want to close her eyes again. The girl shook her head. She wasn't sure what she'd said when first laying eyes upon the unconscious -but VERY real- Gavin, but somehow she doubted it had been less than ladylike.

Her legs were still trembling, getting much worse now that the big man was awake. A seed of doubt was planted in her mind. When he'd looked at her just now, had he recognized her? Or was this just a trick of her mind? People never knew when she dreamt about them. But then: people usually died in her dreams and shortly after in waking life, so there wasn't much point in remembering.

Damnit... Syrawenn disentangled her fingers from the flag yet again. Her mouth dry in anticipation. Whatever was going to be discussed today held a great deal of weight in the future of the clans and the girl wanted the clans to be succesful. They felt good, familiar somehow even when she had mostly kept to herself to watch them from a distance.

Ardra striking up conversation with the redhead didn't surprise her one bit. The girl needed a woman to talk to and had found one. The other kids had their connections too now, leaving only Gwayne...and her.

Gwayne. A quick look at the Adhiel. He wasn't at home here at all. The people were polite at most. It hurt to see him set apart like that. The girl knew what it was like and her suspicions were that Gwayne had known nothing else for all of his life.

I bet that if I told him I wanted to leave he'd come without a second thought. I wish these guys and gals would be a bit NICER to him! Damn, he did a lot more good than I did and yet here I am with the stupid flag in my hands! He should be carrying it, not me. Okay, so he's not a woman, unless there's something he forgot to mention. But why a woman is harmony is beyond me. Sheesh...harmony..

More fidgeting. It was all good to focus on another, but it could not hide the growing feeling inside that despite everything she believed in, there was no place for her here. It was a nice illusion, it was great to see the kids fitting in, but Syrawenn knew it would only be a matter of time before she'd have to leave in a hurry.

And I'll bloody well make sure they know what I know before that. She grumbled inside. Whether they like it or not, I'll HELP. Need to figure out if that Gavin is really Gavin and if he is if he got the same information and if he got the same plans cause if he does...

You'd like to hang around a bit longer, eh?

NO, I do not! I already dreamt about him! Next step is death! I ain't doing that to nobody! And the small one, Abner! He was there too! And Gwayne! Man, I need to get out of here.

For crying out loud let that council begin before I go nuts!

She fidgeted some more, rolling her foot up and down from the ankle to he toes while Gavin had his talk with Keane's uncle. Let's hear what he has to say and lessee how smart the clannies are in taking what they need. After that I can always disappear...and will you QUITE FIDDLING WITH THE DAMN FLAG! Woah, easy...they're coming back.

It had to look ridiculous, the way the youngster kept turning around Gwayne to avoid a direct look, but to her it did not matter right now. What mattered was getting the damn council done and perhaps manage to discard those dreams in the meantime. Councils left a bad taste in her mouth. Councils were not per definition a good thing.

Thinking was not per definition a good thing.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

The Clansmen apparently had not bothered to prepare a gnome-sized dose of their 'silverfoil' especially for Abner, so he was the last to come to, and when he did, he was treated to a hangover approximately equal to the sum of every previous hangover he'd had in his life (including the one from the time he'd tried to make a liquor out of fermented mackeral). The little scientist felt not only like someone had driven a sharpened stick into his forehead, but like it had taken root and grown for a few decades while he was unconscious, and his first attempt to stand lasted but a flicker before he sank to his knees retching

The world went black, and Abner was graced with a few flickers of sweet oblivion before awakening again to a world composed entirely of equal parts blinding pain and nausea. He missed the various introductions and explanations from their captors but did manage to find the water bucket and dunk his head in it, which afforded a modicum of relief. Mostly, however, he continued to lay on the ground, eyes closed, hoping for either death or a certified miracle to stop the throbbing in his head.

[OOC: I hope this is not too over the top or assuming too much. Just seemed logical that li'l ol' Abner would have some difficulties with their drug. ]
"Wel loved he garlek, onyons, and eek lekes,
And for to drynken strong wyn reed as blood"
--Geoffery Chaucer

Post by Guest »

Pip woke up with a churning feeling in his stomach as if he was spun around to quick and too long. The loss of breakfast then adding the effect of the silverfoil made him feel nauseous. Still he was hungry and could not deny the water to replenish his strength and reduce the effect of the drug. Silent he was as he listened to the tales eyes worried and thoughts filled with how and what ifs…

Fielding had taken the entire ordeal with bile and anger in the mouth but no way to reclaim his honour. He looked up at Gavin to when they would recover teach these pigs a bit of old school fight. Alas he was too wobbly and disorientated to notice much, the dosage had worn him down considerable and he was in no state to resist. All he could do was drink some water and lie down and take some shuteye. Thoughts ran them through him about what he would do them… kill them in their sleep like the pigs they were he would…

Jack was a bit fitter perhaps suggesting he had a healthier lifestyle and him pulling out the dart early helped as well. He made effort to drink a lot of water knowing that it would clear the poison from his blood. Gulping it away as if he hadn’t drank in a days he looked at Gavin listening to his words. Jack was the only one who was able to deal with the troubles at hand. He had experience in the cavalry and odd was now one of the most experienced after the betrayal of the others.

The dark haired lad also was able to spot various strangers whom he was unable to determine on which side they are. A feeling of reluctance danced over the entire scene, as everyone was here not by choice. Viewing his comrades they seemed in miserable state, except for Gavin whom seemed fit but he could not be certain. For a street kid like Jack he could pull some fancy moves but not now it was too early and too confusing.

He noticed an adhiel quizzical in the lands of Islay but not too strange nonetheless. A bunch of children, warriors and a man strangely familiar… Ymir. Then the olive skinned lass and he could see Gavin looked at her if in minor trance. She was a bit like a gal you could see running through the streets of his home. Dashing with the boys, climbing a tree or eleven then sprinting home for dinner of cabbage and potatoes. True everyone had seen not much gals lately and it struck him again that the bearded man was truly younger then he was.

He smiled at her in attempt to make eye contact unknown if her mind was even focused enough to notice it. It helped him to releave tension and pep up Gavin with some healthy rival stare at the maiden competition. In the end it meant little and he uttered his first words for the time. “Water is good try to gulp down a quart or two… Keep your mouth ammo for when it counts… We all will need it pal…”
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

While hopping from one foot to the other and contemplating exactly how smart it was to stick around the hyperactive youngster noticed more people waking up. Somehow she was not surprised to see the big man up first.

Tsssss, typical. TYPICAL! So what if he's the same guy, huh? Will he be just as stubborn? Danger...there's danger there. Stay away from him. She fidgeted with the scarf around her neck, more out of habit than really having to check whether it still covered the scar over her throat.

The little man -Abner, Syrawenn remembered him from getting very worked up in a dream- didn't look all too great. For a moment her forehead creased in worry. Whatever they had done to him, it wasn't pretty. Quickly she looked around if anybody noticed and if someone was going to help the man. Water was available, but it felt bad to leave him lying like that.

With a muttered curse the girl came from hiding and swiftly stepped up to the gnome. Gavin was safely occupied for now, leaving her a moment to at least cool down the little man's head.

If nobody stopped her, she dabbed a slip of her tunic in the bucket, wiping away the sweat from Abner's face, the scowl still on her face. "Don't lie on your back." She whispered. "Doesn't help. Lie on your side."

Itching.
She was being watched.
Syrawenn's head snapped up, meeting Jack's gaze half way. Grey eyes darkened into green as the girl lifted her chin up in an unmistakable challenge.

Got a problem, bub? Her eyebrows lifted. People were strange, but really, the guy had no reason to look at her like that!
Last edited by Syrawenn on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Jack watched the scene with the small guy getting a bit of water wiped on the cheeks and a possible whispered hint about sleeping it off. He looked at her calm calculated as watching made him feel at ease. She had the actions of any street kid you’d meet but then again she was a gal nonetheless.

Then the glare with an additional a blank stares so known to alley rivalry…

She was known to the rules of the street looking directly meant wanting something. Jack played it cool standing up straight tightening his buckle and setting his jacket straight. His greasy black hair and dirty face gave him an additional tough men’s look and he raised his collar, as it was not upright enough. “This ace here is looking at whatever he wishes to be looking at gal… You should be a little friendlier for a first impression, I was just checking you… out!” A grin comes his face saying what he wanted to say and setting his foot down.

A touch to the lips with the tips of the fingers… Followed by opening it towards her spreading them out into a flirting gesture. It was if he was checking out a nice sculpture or showing his gracefulness to a cook for a grand cuisine. It was all he needed as Jack had flair with the ladies even though half of time they were not amused and his cheeks had enjoyed the afterglow of a woman’s handprint. He was on his guard knowing the fifty-fifty chances could give both pain and pleasure.

The game was on and… he would see how far his luck with ladies would go… either a long sweet day filled with roses and titter or a thump like a full loaded balsa ship on a coastal bank.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Actions and posting order with full consent of Vanadius.

ic
Another dab with the cool cloth to get Abner some relief. Gently she rolled him on his side if he had not done so himself. In case of throwing up he would at least be spared possible suffocation this way. There was a frown on her face while Syrawenn watched the little man. The others were coming to just fine -albeit a bit groggy-, what was so different about this one?

His size? Naah...would that really matter? Then again...mice against horses...I know who'd hold out longer when fed some sleepy sunflowers! Damn.

The itching would not let up and the girl looked up again. Much to her surprise the arrogant youth was still oogling her! Not only that, he had the gall to tell her how to BEHAVE!

"Sorry mister Abner." She whispered. "Got a little something to solve first." What that she wiped her hands on her breeches and straightened up. There was nothing much impressive about her height, but the youngster had yahren of practice making up for that in her nonverbal -alright, and verbal- behaviour. Right now all she saw was a typical bit of streetscum thinking he owned the place when all he could really boast was... Oh I'll tell him that to his face, that ACE!

Hands in her side, eyes sparkling a full green now. "Well now....ace...." Her voice dripped with sarcasm while she stepped up to the man. It did not bother her that she had to look up to him. It never bothered her. It made people underestimate her. "You sure act like the king of the ball..." Now why did I use that expression? "...for someone who's only boast is he's been captured unaware by this clan!"

That touch to his lips. Almost Syrawenn shivered. But, instinct won out. Obviously she belonged to the familiar half of the women in his surroundings. A fist lashed out at his chin...and would probably be intercepted, which was a fine distraction, because the real aim was her knee going up straight into Jack's groin!

"Down boy. Down!" The girl grinned. "Save yer antics for someone who cares."

Post by Guest »

Jack grinned first at the entire scene then tightening his jaws together with a serious glance. How could she even imagine what he felt like being captured by a clan, unless she got caught herself? Not much thinking was there more as the lass threw a punch at him with some speed.

Dodge… block or seize and wrestle or maybe something else?

The punch upon the chin was met with jack turning the cheek slightly and making a small move to brace for impact. The hit landed upon his upper jaw left of the ear with a solid sound and Jack head turned ninety degrees to the right. He had been hit plenty a time being so common. His father had always been a man of ‘actions’ rather then words and he learned at early age that a big man didn’t need a good reason to unleash his anger. The punch felt successful for syrawenn and Jack did what most people did sway a bit backwards with (if she noticed a small grin).

The knee came directly where she wanted to place it and Jack flexed his muscles to brace for impact. A soft thud was the result and he leaped back a bit with smirk, clearing about an two yards. Strangely though the last hit seemed to have a lesser impact and all the brawler didwas to swing his legs a bit and give a single stroke to his cheek.

Jack gave his blessing to a piece of padding in his trousers covering the whole thigh region. It was initially meant for long ride on poor quality saddles, making the thighs scrape and bounce less on his leather clothes. The bobbing of horses over the rough Dort countryside made him aware that if he did want kids later he had to protect the jewellery.

“That hit the spot alright little missy but then again it been hit on more then one occasion.” Wobbling his legs again a second time Jack raised his knuckles, pulled his neck to one side and rubbed with topside of hand over his cheek. “If you want to get a piece of me… You free to come and get some but I really do not hit gals on the first strikes you know…” The leather dressed bloke looked ready for a fight, he jaw was showing a soft red glow but he seemed used to beatings and was able to ignore it for the most. “You do not even come close with the strength to the beatings I endured on the domestic front…”
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The big man was busy with Howland. So much passed behind him and he noticed nothing. The hunger and thirst and headache and nausea have made him ill-tempered. And he needed to vent it out. Howland was the perfect target. Maybe he would not have been so rash and rude if he was in a better shape. But, the hollow feeling in his stomach was not to his liking. Especially when he knew the man before him was the reason for it.

And he was pondering how this will end. He hoped Howland would be arrogant and offer no real explanation. He really did. Cause no matter how foul his mood was he could not kill the man if his reasons were good. On the other hand, if Howland refused to explain or if the reasons were inadequate, a duel or a knife in the back would be his fate. There will be blood spilled between us. Oh, there will be. Just give me a reason. Just one and we shall settle this. Once and for all.

And then the words behind his back filtered in. His eyes lost focus and his emotionless mask broke to be replace with a surprised look on his face. Jack and... Syrawenn? What the.... Oh boy. This won't end well. Wait. How do I know that? And an image of a fancy ball came to his mind. And of a girl in a dress and a fancy gentleman. And of a certain low blow she pulled. And he smiled. He smiled still looking at Howland.

And as she spoke, he had to turn and watch. Smirk was painted on his face as he watched them both with arms crossed across his chest. He expected a nice verbal fight, but Syra seemed to have other plans. And as her knee connected with his groin, the big man turned his head and winced. That has gotta hurt. Damned girl sure knows how to aim. I better watch out for that particular blow.

It somehow surprised him to see that Jack was not doubled in pain. But, the words he spoke ended all sympathy Gavin might have felt. He almost forgot his dislike for the lad. But, that last comment just brought it back. Okay. Time to interfere. And with a deep breath the big man stepped between the two. "Alright. That's enough. Back off, Jack. We are not here to fight. Peace banner? Remember?" The sound of his voice was almost mocking at those last two questions.

And then he turned to Syra and grinned for just a flicker. He saw her eyes and was certain. It is her. Syrawenn. I've found her. Just like I promised. And.... And.... And... And, she is just like in my dreams. She even kicks just like there. Oh, and she bites, so I better watch out. The smile was gone as soon as it appeared, but it was there. "So, now. I see you have met Jack. He is good at making friends."

He took a step towards her and offered his hand. He was a bit reluctant at first, remembering the bite, but he did offer it. "Now, I don't know if I can call it that, but we might have met before. Only not like that. So, lemme introduce myself. I'm Gavin. And that there is Abner. You already met Jack and that there is Fielding and the lad in the back is Kelsyk. So, we finally meet. Just like I promised. Pity I had to be captured unawares by this clan to meet you. Isn't it?" And he grinned once more, happy for the fact he kept his promise and even more happy for the fact he finally found her.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Oooo, experience, eh? Well, that should have told you to leave me alone, mister!

Syrawenn grumbled, seeing her beautiful move gone to the dogs. Right after that he called her out. "Little missy? HAH! That was no miss and I assure you I'll show you exactly how 'little' I am if you don't BACK off right now, mister! And if you think your poor poor background is gonna help you gain any sympathy or kisses, THINK AGAIN! Yer not the only one who's had it rough and it SURE ain't giving you an excuse to act like you own the place!"

She refused to take the bait right now. The first punch had been stupid during preperations for a council, but it was very hard to keep her instincts in check. "I don't have to come closer. I think you got the picture. So, find some gal who will swoon for yer sad sad attitude! It ain't me!"

Oh, she was angry alright. It might not have been completely fair, nor really a logical reaction to the situation at hand, but it worked.
At least for her.

Arms folded Syrawenn glared at Jack until a too familiar voice cut the tension.

Ohhhhh shit....you should have stayed behind Gwayne! Slowly the girl turned to see the massive shape of Gavin walk up on them. "Yup, I met Jack." She replied cautiously, her stomach turning at his next remark.

He remembers! That is NOT possible! He CAN'T! It's not FAIR! I don't need this crap!

The man grinned. Syrawenn had a hard time thinking up a response. The hand was an easy one. She shook it firmly and let go again, her face still reflecting caution. "So...yeah...we met. Doesn't that sound like a cheap pick up line? And I know Abner's name. And...what the flip is going on! You're not supposed to know!" She didn't bother giving out her name. If he remembered they met, he'd remember her name, no doubt.

It SUCKS! Now what do I do?

The peace banner safely stuck behind her belt the girl had her hands free to fold em again, ready to dart off if anyone else had a funny surprise in store. She looked around at the clan, at the guards, at the people mentioned.

"Yeah..pity.."

Fuuuuuuuck! Can I deal with this guy in wakey wakey land? He already proved to be a handful in those blasted dreams. He isn't supposed to be real! Nobody needs to keep their damn promises by stepping out of a dream! Am I dreaming now? Is this real?

Sea-grey eyes reflected her quick thinking. Yet it did nothing to resolve the matter. "Well, then I guess I'll go be nice and take up my place again, I guess...no wait...if you remember..." A quick turn back at him. "That stuff you told me, that true? No wait...maybe you don't remember. Then you'd have to....no, never mind. Forget I said anything. Not a good plan. Shutting up now."

And quickly the girl turned to move back to Gwayne, utterly confused and most certainly upset. There was NO way she was going to give those idiots the satisfaction of finding out about THAT!

Post by Guest »

Jack was utterly not impressed and felt the kid had no idea what she was doing. The mind on her had to reply as if in immediate thought, no sense nor planning she acts on impulse. He somehow found her a bit pathetic overly easy too intimidate and fearful of the smallest of glance. Taking everything wrong he lowered his fist a bit as Gavin came in being an odd form of peacekeeper. Annoying he had been so far behaving as he was the master of it all, not seeing through that Howland was a swine from start. Faith in Gavin’s leadership was rock bottom and now some strange council was about to commence. Gavin in his vision would have too set Howland hard into an infirmary where he would remain for a long time, or worse… to restore order.

“Gavin, if you know this wench and you two are an item of some sorts please state that in advance next time. It is not my custom to be striking back immediate at those smaller then me but again her attempt of landing where it hurts makes it so she wants serious troubles.”

~~~

Syrawenn however was something else nonetheless and he became aware that she was a lot of mouth with needed action if needed. “I had no different youth then many a people in the world, just like you. Just be aware that I am not one of those lads who go like; Oh she is a little girl well I have to sympathize with her harsh life and let her clobber me…” He pulled his fingers through his black hair gritting his teeth together as in some form of bulking up. It would be best for Gavin to slap her around he thought but he was uncertain if the bearded lad had that in him. He was already giving googol eyes at her and he knew she could likely hurt him if she came over her fear.

Jack tied his jacket closed and put his pair of leather gloves, which he tucked into his leggings and surprisingly were still there. His pack was missing and he could not feel a little naked with his trusty spear and shield. Even his edge seemed missing from his belt and they took his prized stiletto away from him too. Fielding was down an out, Pip and the others stared blank slightly agitated by the scene. The gnome seemed sick and Kelsyk not too fit either one first view.

Spitting upon the floor he cleared his mouth as the punch was felt but he made little show of it. He merely stared past Gavin at the lass with his grey eyes connecting to hers. She seemed odd as if having a hard time herself; perhaps that is why he gave her an easy time while being attacked. Anyone else’s would have felt a good punch or kick too the kidneys, stomach or the throat after a direct assault. “I am familiar with the way the women are and that most can fend for themselves. Still if you strike at a compliment then serious… You’ve should’ve told me you prefer to be treated like a guy and I would’ve respected that kid…” Jack made a few hops up and down then shook off his frustration by grinding his hand making a leathery squeeze. He looked left of his shoulder towards her in a sideward position, hiding his body but then again she looked scared enough already.

“Waste of time… such a waste of time being in such a waste of space…”
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Yep. Definitely Syra. Nobody talks like that. And what am I not supposed to know? The dreams. Well, when I promise something it stays promised. End of story. And then she turned to walk away and if he weren't sure until then he would have been. His hand fell on her shoulder and held her. "Wait. We need to talk. Just wait."

And then Jack spoke. And it was really a bad moments. And the words he used. Well, they were bad too. And the hunger and thirst did not help. Slowly the big man removed his hand from the girls shoulder and turned, hoping she won't leave. And the with a deep breath to calm his nerves, Gavin turned to the trouble maker of the unit. And he kept going and going and going. SO, Gavin waited. And then took a few steps closer and smiled.

"You done? Cause, now I have a few things to say. First of all, Jack, the fact is I don't like ya. Never did. You talk too much and you don't think shit. And that makes you a problem. Why? Well, let us explain the situation a bit. Do you even know what our mission is supposed to be? I don't think so. Peace between the Count and the Clans. Now, you might think this is the Count's idea, but it is not. It is mine. The reasons for that will be made clear during the Council. So pay attention then. Understood?"

The big Dortman was getting really worked up. His voice was becoming louder and louder and this time he did not care who heard him. He was pissed. He was past pissed. He was furious. And poor Jack was gonna take the fall for it. "Now, how could you have known what we were up to? Well, you could have asked. Just like that traitorous bastard Howland could have asked. Words. They work. Bloody hell, nobody is polite anymore."

He then turned and motioned with his hand all around the clearing. "Look. People. Clansmen. And we are not them. ENEMIES. Got that. And we ain't got no fucking weapons and we are outnumbered Gods know how many to eight. Oh, I just love our chances. So, no fighting. Or do you disagree?"

His face was slowly turning red and the big man was starting to wave his hand around. He did not care if anyone watched. Heck, he hoped everyone was watching. "Now, about the Count. See, he gave me Howland. His own Captain Marten introduced me to that back stabbing sonovabitch. I asked for a fuckin' guide. And I get him. HE sure did guide me. Right into a trap. I just love it when they shoot my butt full of darts and when I sleep for days and wake up, hungry, thirsty, with a headache and pissed."

His shoulder straightened and by now he was yelling at the top of his lungs. Spittle flew out of his mouth and he was quite a sight to behold. "Now, look what that got me. A passed out gnome." And here his voice lowered and he looked past Jack towards his friend and motioned with his chin. "No offense, Abner." And then a poke to Jack's chest. "You, your buddy Fielding, Pip, Kelsyk, Carlton and James. Now, I never planned to fight a war with you guys. And I appreciate your help. But, if you thought a bit you would have been a bit more polite." Again his voice lowered. "Be polite, please." And rose again. "Or we will all fuckin' die, cause you just had to hit on a girl." And again he turned and uttered in lowered voice. "No offense, Syra."

A forced laughter erupted from Gavin. "Oh, but that is not all. There seems to be people who don't think this war is such a bad thing. Our host amongst the other. Count too. It seems to me, I am the only one to think this war is a bad idea. well, maybe not the only one." And then he turned and pointed his finger to Syra. "So does she. And if you used your head instead of your crotch you might have realized that. We need allies. And that girl might be one. We need help. Wee need more information. She can help. Now, since you have been so friendly towards her, I am sure she is just eager to save your hide."

The big man was slowly loosing his breath, but rage still held on. "Heck, if I had a knife, I would give it to you so you can kill me now and save me the trouble. Cause, you are going to get us killed unless you settle down a bit and use that big noggin of yours." A tired look made its way to Gavin's face and the big man inclined his head. "So, just... just sit down and let me do the talking. Cause you ain't helping. Alright?" and then without another word, the big man turned and walked away. Everything was forgotten. Even Syrawenn. He merely walked to the bucket of water and picked it up and turned it upside down over his head. That was the only thing he could think of that could calm him down. Or so he hoped.

Post by Guest »

Jack viewed the entire scene with disbelief of the actions Gavin took. In his eyes he was acting superior in the face of complete failure and it amazed him why he had raised his voice. The arrogance within the so-called peacekeeper was too much to bear and in a way he hoped Howland would beat some sense in Gavin. “Sure… Peace.” It was the last he said ase he made his place by fielding the only friend he had for the time being. Staring blank he sat down crossing his arms similar as Syrawenn had done earlier. The ball was in Gavin’s court and he was the leader if he would fail the count would make him wish he was never born…

Carlton moved around freely with a relaxed attitude as if nothing was wrong. Howland had been his mentor for quite some time and that was fine with him. In his eyes this mess of two guys and one girl seemed amusing as if a theatre play in the town’s square. Carlton was a steady chap broad build with short auburn hair and very hard head. He was rather reliable for those who knew him and was now rather cheerful entertaining the other children with small jokes. He was one of those regular kinds of fellows who had a relatively easy life without much complication. He hailed from a large family with much brothers and sisters where plenty of tales and jokes could be shared.

James happiness started when he found a family, where he and his sister could find a home. Carlton’s elder brother had married James’s sister only less then a yahr ago and all was well from that time on. This was a symbol of happiness and fulfilment knowing his sister and him had finally gotten the break they deserved. Life had been hard till that time on James an orphan at an early age he had survived by hand outs by the people of Dort for playing music. He was a determined lad refusing to let his sister take the path of prostitute as many lone women were forced to do. Instead he had become a music player in various taverns, inns and keeps entertaining the crowds while his sister danced.

He was not such a strong build lad like his friend but what he lacked in strength he made in talent, grace and a keen sense of thinking. It was not apparent earlier but James was a rather charming lad with long blond hair, soft brown eyes and a pearly white smile. A poet he was writing tales of the beautiful rivers, hills and valleys he called home. He was rather inspired of the sight of the Islay and it had left an impression upon him he would never forget.

James started playing a small song too the beautiful Islay which he found himself in. All he had at the moment a lute; still it was enough to start a tune. His intro was well played but the texts required improvise and so he did.

Oh beautiful highlands with valleys so deep you are in my heart for you I shall keep.
Your softly sloped hills so slender and lean have opened my eyes to that which I dream.
If only one see the beauty within then anger would vanish and love would forth spring.
So let us all gather with praise to our land in where we find shelter from all angry hand.

Pride is message that lay down no words, a burden to carry which only leads worse.
When we all shall gather then it must be as one if the circle is broken it will be undone.
Therefore we stand together as strong as a oak fury unleashed upon those whom croak.
In end we shall life in lands of peace our children remember the tales of these…

OOC: A small song to lighten up the moods I reckon James is thinking.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Abner was still lying in nauseated agony when all the commotion began. He'd been dimly aware of Syrawenn's ministrations and hed felt an inexplicable tinge of familiarity as he looked at her through a fog of pain. "M-m-mel... ina?" he had stammered, not knowing why he recognized either the face or the name. Then she had gone, and the gnome remained in the position she'd left him in.

Given his infirmities, Abner could not really follow what was happening. He heard the elfess's voice, then sounds of scuffling, and then Gavin's intervention. The suffering scientist could not understand why everyone insisted on speaking so loudly, as angry syllables bombarded his throbbing head like hail. He groaned slightly and wriggled uncomfortably on the rocky ground. Luckily, John's song interrupted the arguments and replaced them with gentler tones. Abner gratefully closed his eyes and tried to use this respite to quiet the raging storm inside his skull.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Standing at least a head shorter than the big warrior from Dort, Howland said nothing. He stood, unwavering, unflinching and unaffected by anything Gavin had to say. He had no reply. He just shook his head in sad resignation. Wordlessly, he walked away.

As the scene unfolded, the many people around the group grew more and more quiet until at last in the fit of Gavin's rage they had all stopped and stared. Every man, every woman, every child stared at the chaos as it unfolded before their eyes. Punches were thrown, insults and rage. Yelling and screaming, buckets being dumped over heads, songs were being sung. The entirety of Clan MacGregor stared in disbelief, shock and horror.

It was Duncan that broke their silence. He gestured to a few of his men and all of their gear and personal possessions were brought forward. Weapons and equipment were dumped unceremoniously on the cold, hard ground before them. Duncan spoke softly after the strangers had been brought back to a sense of calm, or at the very least, quiet. He spoke directly to Gavin, only occasionally glancing at any of the others.

"You're mission of peace is at an end. The eye of Milkhaire has been watching. You have been tested three times, and each time you have failed. "

"When your men were taken, you ordered that they be rescued, showing their lives as more important to you than the lives of countless others. That your 'banner of peace' was not worth the many lives you claim to be trying to save. Instead, your two men were worth more to you than peace. The eye gave you council, you reversed your direction, showing little conviction or faith in your decision.

"When you came across the woman, you cut her down and burned her without any thought to our customs or our ways. You did not seek the council of the eye, but simply dealt with the matter in your own fashion without regard to the way the woman may have wished to be treated. Furthermore, you endangered your men by such reckless and foolish actions by announcing your presence to any who could see the smoke."

"Lastly, you were asked to remain silent and wait patiently for the Council of Chieftains to begin. You have done anything but be still and at peace as requested. Your arrogance with the eye is unbearable any longer. He was supposed to ask you? For what? The shepherd does not ask the flock where the river is."

"You are no peacemaker. You are insulting, arrogant and rude. You care little for any lives save your own, or for any of our customs or beliefs. You and your men are wild and out of control. There is no discipline, no order, no compassion or understanding, nor have you shown any desire to emerge from this ignorance. We will treat with you no longer."

"Your mission is over. Here are your possessions. Go back and tell the Count you have failed. Tell him that we demand our freedom, and that he holds dominion over us no longer. Clan MacGregor will fight to return Islay to the old ways and to the old customs. Do not set foot in these lands again. Your lives will be forfeit if you do. Say nothing, you will only make matter worse for you and your men if you do. Go home. You are finished here."
Last edited by Vanadius on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

There was so much Syrawenn could think up to yell back or to somehow get Gavin to cool down. There was so much she could have done about Abner's mention of 'Melina'. There were so many options to turn the situation again so they were ready for this Council, but obviously the clansmen thought differently.

With growing surprise and anger the girl listened to the words spoken. This was quite beyond anything she had ever heard or experienced. These people were damn well worse than anyone! It was as she had feared: they already made up their mind. Gavin was just a convenient excuse to justify their so called choice.

Choices….Bah! There was no choice!

“RIGHT!” It was impossible to stay quiet after this. Nether, after this it would not matter, because after this she’d be gone. “Thank you for showing yer real colours then, people.” So she didn’t belong here, she already knew that. They had just proven to be nothing but warmongers under the guise of righteousness.

“I know it’s not my place to speak and I certainly know it wasn’t exactly my goal to start a mess. But obviously I did. In case you didn’t notice: it’s MY fault he started yelling. If I hadn’t thrown that punch, he might have woken up a bit more at ease. But sure, obviously you want to blame everything on him…which brings me to point two.

She hated this. The youngster looked around for the kids she had travelled with for those past few days. She wanted to see them and yet…she didn’t want to. “Who exactly is putting one individual before an entire group, eh? WHO? So he’s arrogant and stubborn. Was he meant to be put in charge or something then? NO, he wasn’t but YOU certainly think big of him if you think that his anger at being BETRAYED is worth throwing all chances at peace out with the dirty water!”

“One person…with good reason to be angry…and some stupid tests that you might want to use to choose a leader. You weren’t here to choose a leader! You are here to talk PEACE, or had you forgotten? I guess you did, cause yer really set on fighting, huh? I thought you wanted what was best. I thought you said Milkhaire was such a good listener. But you were all too easily swayed towards killing when a few persons showed convenient behaviour –yeah, I could say one person, but I certainly didn’t behave nicely eiter, so blame me instead of the one person who seems to see other possibilities than death!”

The girl’s heart was breaking. Another illusion was gone. “Oh man, this sucks. If you wanted to go to war anyway, why not just say so? I mean, I can understand the need to kick some butt! But why this mock council if you weren’t gonna listen anyway? It’s really sucky to see you do what you accuse Gavin of. You call him arrogant and tell us he chooses one over many. What do you think yer doing, eh? One person and you decide upon war before he even had a chance to come to from YOUR bloody poisons. Now who’s arrogant? You never wanted peace. You were ready to fight and that’s yer fullest right…but you had no right to lure these people into a trap with false hopes like that!”

"Wow, I talk too much. But since yer not listening anyway, it doesn't matter. I guess I said it more for myself...to figure things out. Well, I figured it out. Don't bother going all righteous on me. I'll leave on my own accord."Syrawenn grabbed her backpack and hoisted it on her shoulder. “Go ahead, have your fun. I won’t be around to see you all kill and be killed. I loathe hypocrites and yer worse than any I’ve met. See ya around!”

The girl turned to leave the scene.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The words Duncan spoke caused the big man to turn. The equipment had no meaning. The words did. And the anger seeped out of Gavin's features. Everything did. No emotion. Nothing. He listened and stared. And just nodded at the end. So it is done. I failed. Or did I? No matter. There will be war. And there will be death. And what will follow might be worse than both. I guess I was arrogant when I thought I could stop it. One man. Placing his need to set things right against the needs of the many. They need the war. I will let them have their stupid war. And so he turned and walked to the heap of equipment that was thrown at their feet. And as he passed Jack he stopped and turned and whispered. "I am sorry. Thank you, Jack. You were right. There can be no peace. I hope you can forgive me." No sadness showed on his face, but his eyes were dull.

With strange patience he rummaged through the pile of stuff until he found his equipment. And without a word he started donning his armor. Great care was paid to that. He heard Syra talk, but just shook his head. Silly girl. Or is it wise? You see it too. Don't defend me. He won't listen. Nobody does. Only you. Don't condemn yourself too. And as she finished so did he. The sword was buckled at last and he approached Duncan and nodded once more. "Farewell. No more words. Just sorrow. See you in Hell." And then he turned to the girl and stood before her.

For a couple of flickers he stared at her and then a tear rolled down his cheek. "Don't bother, Syra. It is done. I failed. And he is right. I was arrogant to think I could change it. It reminds me of a dream. There too I was refused my right to speak. To ask my questions. And I was arrogant there too. So, it must be the truth. It does not matter what I think anymore. The others are wiser. Or so it seems." He turned and looked at Milkhaire before turning his gaze back to her. "I guess I am a romantic fool. I am not wise. What a fool I was. I guess that I think small. But, I wonder when do few become many? When does it stop being selfish and starts being wise? At ten people? A hundred? A thousand?"

He turned to the man that came with him and then stopped Syra. "Wait we are leaving too. Or at least I am." Then he said in a raised voice. "Get your stuff and let us go. Or stay. Your choice. I guess I don't have any authority over you. Never did. I was just one of the sheep that a shepherd was taking to the river. So, come or stay. I don't care. I am beyond caring." And he waited for them to get ready to leave. At least those that wanted to come.

As soon as everyone was ready he turned to Syra once more and stood by her side. And then with a scowl he turned to Milkhaire. "Good bye, Clan MacGregor. I wish you luck." And then with a lowered voice only the girl heard he whispered. "Gods know you will need it." And then he started walking, not sure where, but any place was better than this. He just needed to be away and it will be better. Or so he hoped. Probably in vain.

Post by Guest »

Defeat was the element here and true too it that is how most felt. Carlton had been unsure about the how and why of it all, in a way he felt fiddled. The journey everything they did was in vain, risking their lives in vain. The nightly abduction they had noticed of nothing… but a soft sting. Falling into the silvery haze they had been carried of leaving their comrades behind. In Carl’s eyes things were simple Howland had played them like a child. A grim reminder of treachery lurking everywhere, even among the noblest.

These noble thoughts were nothing now, as best was now for all too aid their drugged teammates. Carlton made sure the packs were taken and helped up Kelsyk for the journey home. Everyone one was going to get back to safety even if he had to carry some.

James also did his bit in lifting the lighter Abner, as they could not stay here. Unsure if they where allowed to take the horses that had brought them here. He trusted on the nobility of them that they would be returned and a safe passage back to Dort.

A great silence was felt as the tasks where shared and Jack whose teeth grinded a moment ago now felt saddened somehow. He knew from the start that if this was for peace it was doomed to fail. Nonetheless he helped out and did so as well by helping his buddy Fielding of his feet. All he could now was call Gavin to return, with some disgruntled tone and a lot of restraint.

“It is not your fault… You may be a hothead, a pain in the butt to talk too and a dreamer… Still your heart is in the right place. We’ll talk later now do not go wandering off we have to stick together… Remember where we are, Gavin?”

Fielding coughed loud and through his sandy fit started speaking. His face was filthy and his hair covered with sand.

“Forget these… *cough* they do not peace… they want taste blood those pesky… *snort* do always… We teach them… *grunt* old school…”

Fielding felt like crap with a grubby throat what water couldn’t solve. Poor Fielding, he woke up face down in the dirt! The kinda dirt he hated most being… clan’s muck. Disgusting he wished they could be broken into submission… or worse!

They got their gear back but now was the question where the MacGregors going to honour their intentions. Also there was a little thing about horses, which James and Carlton looked quiet serious at Howland about…

Pip was however nowhere to be seen. He had slipped out during the bucket dump and now could not exactly be placed.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Abner was still lying on the ground when Duncan begin to speak. It soon became clear that their mission had failed spectacularly. Tears began to form in the gnome's eyes. These poor fools, he thought sadly. They have just chosen their own deaths. And death for the other clans, and for the rest of the people of Dort, and for gods know how many others. The Clan had not treated them particularly well, but Abner would not wish the fate that awaited these people upon anyone. Then he heard the resignation in the voice of Gavin and others as they accepted this defeat, and by doing so, accepted the holocaust that was coming. No! he thought. It will not end like this!

Abner struggled to his feet, slapping away James's attempts to assist him. A new wave of nausea crashed over the gnome, but he stayed upright, surveying the situation and unsure what he could do. He'd tried oratory already and gotten nowhere, and now the Clan's sentiment was hardened against them. His gaze stopped on the oddly static form of the shaman Milkhaire. Not realizing who he was, but lured by the mere incongruity of the still, silent man, the Vegetable Scientist marched unsteadily but with determination in the direction of the elder. He would take his plea directly to the old man whom the clansmen treated with such deference. Perhaps that one will show some sense and listen.

[OOC: pausing here because I don't really expect the Clan to allow Abner to get to Milkhaire unchallenged. Not that I'd mind catching a break...]
Last edited by Abner Klop on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Duncan looked at Syrawenn with a calm and flat expression. Although he spoke to the young girl, it was apparent that his words were for Gavin as well.

"You should hold your tongue until you know more about which you are speaking Syrawenn. We did not choose this man as a leader or an envoy. The Count did. Our tests were to determine what kind of envoy the Count had sent to broker a peace with us. We wanted to see if the envoy was sensitive to our customs, he is not. We wanted to see if he was determined and stayed true to his instincts. He was not. We wanted to see what kind of leader he was. He has shown imbalance and recklessness. These test were for us and for no other reason."

He turned his attention fully on her then.

"You are no more or less to blame than anyone else here. Your words have been spoken in anger, so they shall thought of as such and not held against you. This was no trap. None have been tricked, misled or even harmed or held prisoner in any way. Just because we will not treat this man as an envoy of peace does not mean we have resigned ourselves to war, or that it was decided in some way before you came. Bridging a path to peace is more than the work of one. It is the work of many."

"You assume because his mission is finished, that means all chances at peace are dead. You assume that because it was his mission that failed, that all missions have therefore failed and that the path was already set. You are foolish and arrogant yourself if you continue to think that this was the only opportunity of peace. You are ignorant and naive if you think that we believe that all hopes of a peaceful settlement are now dead. Feel free to judge us, but do not judge us under these false pretenses and misconceptions girl. Do not infringe your beliefs on us. We are free, and we will keep our own council on matters of war. Run now. Run free if you wish. But do so knowing that running solves little. Run away knowing that we expected the best from this mission. Run away like all those before you have. Run when things get hard like all your people do. That is your way, and we shall expect nothing different of you forevermore. That is who you are."

Free of his outburst, he let her go unchecked if she wished. He did not reply to Gavin, but his flat, empty look remained after his words. He silently stood by as they gathered their belongings, lost in his own thoughts.

Fools. So full of themselves. So quick to assume that the world hinges upon their actions. So quick to think that war was inevitable because they could not bridge the peace. So quick to think so much of themselves as the only solution and the only hope. So quick to abandon the cause after a setback. They do not know true hardship. They do not know true suffering. The Gods have much to teach them yet...

Goodbye to you. Since you are beyond caring for peace, you have abandoned yet another cause and shown us little we have not already seen from the Count already. You were exactly like everyone that has come before you. Tis a damn shame. I was hopeful things would be different this time...

Abner found that no one restricted his path to the strange shaman in any way and he could walk right up to the snowy haired man without interference. Eyes were on him as he approached and several stood by and watched in fascination and curiosity at the vegetable scientist and what actions he was about to take.

Milkhaire himself was intently studying his ladybug and only looked up at the approach at the very last flicker. His cool blue eyes examined Abner's face and he cocked his head to the side like a puppy hearing a strange noise. The silent shaman reached out towards Abner to touch his nose, as if he'd never seen any sort of nose before.

Beyond that, it was difficult to tell if Milkhaire really knew that he'd been approached for anything but that purpose. But the Clansfolk sat and watched, curious and waiting. In fact, members of all the other Clans began to gather now to watch the scene and how it would unfold. All eyes were now on the little vegetable scientist.
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dort Archive”