To look at the sea, tells us of our mortality

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Ashtallion's initial trick, barely more than a beginner's cantrip really, sprang to life easily for the adhiel mage. The flame wasn't large but it flickered steadily in his palm, the beginning of something more. At that point, neither Alustariel nor Loraith noticed any outward effects of the spell, other than the obvious wonder of a bit of living fire nestled in Ashtallion's hand.

That changed when the mage intensified his concentration and drew more heavily upon the scarlet strands of energy that flowed around them all. Within moments the nearest lanterns dimmed, or rather paled, as though suddenly less substantial than flickers before, and the soft ocean breeze that drifted through the veranda seemed somehow crisper.

The flame in his palm intensified, the reds and deep oranges giving way to yellows surrounding a core of burning white. And then, directed by Ashtallion's will, the flame burst apart in a miniature conflagration that enveloped his entire hand and forearm, fiery tendrils licking around the adhiel's elbow. The effort of maintaining the demonstration was not insubstantial, but neither did it threaten to overwhelm Ashtallion's will.

Where before there had been gentle lantern light pooled about the veranda, providing quiet backlight to their evening soiree, now there was a blazing torch about Ashtallion's one arm. Loraith certainly had his anecdote....
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]

Post by Guest »

The fire flashed in Loraith's eyes as his mouth opened slightly. He had heard of such things being done but never seen then, fire heeding to the orders of mortals! He sat back and rubbed his face, his mouth still somewhat agape. He applauded lightly and with a smile now replacing the gape said softly, "Bravo, bravo, most impressive." He stood and gave a bow, "I stand in reverence, I have not seen such things since my youth and I am impressed." He cast another glance at the flaming hand and merely stared at the flickering flames, how tempted he was to touch it but he did not.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion held the fire for several moments longer, basking in the ecstacy of his own power. The flames danced in his eyes, the gold reflecting the warmth. He smiled as he responded to Loraith, " It takes time, but it is a relatively easy weaving once you have learned to control the energy and had enough experience. ", with an almost shaking gesture, Ashtallion severed the threads of energy and with them the fire vanished, returning to its sources of heat.

" I could possibly weave something more impressive, but without the guidence of my Master I would not wish to just now incase I.... lost control. ", he smiled again, somewhat apologetically. " No doubt my sister will be able to achieve such workings in no time at all... she is an Urdil... and I think the talent must run in the blood. ", Ashtallion's eyes sparkled with an inner pride as he looked at Alu, before casually taking a seat and allowing himself to relax.... slightly.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

"Quite so, in the blood" Alu repeated Ashtallion's words "Our mother was a sorceress of note and our father could once employ the faith of K'tan, so I'd say that there is at lease some hereditary benefit to we Urdil Twins" she smiled and looked to Loraith, yet her eyes went passed him into the night sky. Alu's eyes widened.

"Well ... well ... well!" she said, looking at a particular constellation. Parnish Maldaur had taught her the star symbols of astrology on many an unclouded nights in Taquar. She could not interpret the signs to prediction, but she knew that this particular sign came into it's element from mid Samheen into Yulember - and she knew what it stood for.

"Do you see that cluster of stars there ... ?" she motioned with her hand " ... if you turn your head but slightly it will resemble a Bear ...."

She smiled, she had not had the chance to either study or emerse herself in her astrology learning since she had left Taquar.

"It is Arkovda, and it represents Fire ... and Power, we are in the dates of it's Zenith, and we talk of such things" she smiled at both of them, a joking, light hearted smile "Gentlemen, I may not be a Starwoman of grand prediction .... but we may have an omen"

As if snapping out of a mood or attitude, Alu looked about the verandah

"Now where are those refreshments Alyn prepared?"

OOC: If I'm overstepping on that one Seb, pull me back.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Post by Guest »

"My mother was the daughter of a human merchant, and my father was, I should say is a drunk and womaniser." He smiled perhaps slightly sadly and looked up at the sky and tilted his head to try to spot this bear, "I can feel the fire in the air, the fire of hatred. Can you not feel it in the gazes of all in town, there shall be fire indeed I imagine, a cleasing but of whom?" He moved over to the tables beside the chairs and located the refreshments, bringing them to the main table he set some wine down and a plate of cheese and fruit. Gently he poured three glasses, he handed Ashtallion his wine with a smile. Turning to Alustriel he smiled showing all his teeth, "But come let us revel in our indolence, I shall not have talk of the darkness now, Ashtallion has shown us fire and it shall guide out path straight and true I am sure. Stain your lips with the fine vintage and feel contentment in life." He handed Alustriel the wine before taking a sip of his own, his lips were stained purple and his eyes blazed with ire.

(OOC: I made an assumption as well Seb, hope it is alright!)
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Once the three had settled with their wine, tasty niblets of cheese and fresh fruit comfortably within arm's reach, Alyn appeared silently from the shadows near the house and substituted their rather depleted crystal flagon of wine with a fresh one. Bowing as he backed away, Loraith's servant retreated again, leaving them to their conversation.

--------------

OOC: Carry on folks! No toes stepped on :)
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion accepted the wine, but only took the smallest of sips before placing the wine down, running a finger around the rim to give the illusion that he was still to drink more, yet he knew he would not. He found himself less and less inclinged to drink these days, for what reason he was unsure, perhaps the lack of control he possessed while intoxicated, even if onyl very mildly.

Closing his eyes briefly, the mage took in his sisters words and those of Loraith, not sure what to make of them entirely. " We have not only felt the rising animosity.... we have seen it first hand. Humans believing all adhiel think themselves above all other races and then there are the adhiel that actually endorse that very trait. ", he shook his head before continuing, " And achadhiel stuck in the middle. ", Ashtallion appraised Loraith for a moment, taking a breath in, something sparking in those eerie eyes. A smile touched them, but not his lips.

Would he himself choose a side if it came to it? Not one to be racially prejudice it was a difficult question to answer. Ashtallion supposed he would as he was commanded to do...should the battlemage royal actually accept to teaching him. It was something he would need to bring up with Falgan. Undoubtably the Cadre of Mage at the Palace would be involved if any form of uprising was the occur.

Decadent flames.

Swirling shadows.

Deceit and longing.

Omens soaked in blood looming over them like wolves ready to consume.

His gaze drawn to the stars like his sister, he pondered, allowing the ambiance around them to simply hang and absorb his thoughts.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"- That's enough Asht" she said soothingly. Though she had a growing fondness for Loraith, the Lotus Blossum incident was far from an easy topic. Asht had said they'd had first hand experience at the human-adhiel tension. Alu was just letting him know she did not think that was a good tale to relate on just yet.

"Loraith is right" she said, with a slight sniff "That's a dark topic that we should not sully our conversation with" Alu knew that she should not enter into the issue more than she had tonight - though she feared that in the future she might be seen as unreal in her attitude of racial equality, despite her love for Kislovani culture and tradition.

Alu's mishandled magic at the Lotus Blossom Inn would only complicate what was already a heated tension of attitudes. Dylan had forgiven her for accidently hurting Souffiane, but had Souffiane?. Alu knew this would probably come back to bite her.

The silver adhiel accepted the goblet from Loraith, she swirled it in front of her nose, sniffing the aroma before taking a sip. She always knew why many Kislovani wines were worth their weight in gold.

Alu reached over to take a piece of fruit from that which Alyn had set down near to her. "Mmm, delightful" she discreetly licked her fingers to get every last drop of residue

Post by Guest »

"I think I shall retire for the night my friends, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. If you wish to stay here and converse I am sure Alyn shall show you to your rooms." He gave Alu a meaningful look, by now he did not think either of them were under any illusions about the sleeping arrangements. His eyes drank her form quickly, she was so beautiful and how he wanted to touch her and hold her forever. He took another sip of wine before laying it down on the tray. Then taking a handful of grapes began to pop them in his mouth. He would wait for a little bit, he hoped they would go to bed now as well. Otherwise he would need to wait for her.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Pleasent dreams then, Lord Kasvenir. ", he paused a moment, looking into the darkness beyond the light, then back to Loraith, " And I thank you for the hospitality you have extended. ", it was all he had left to say to the achadiel lord, Alustariel would know how hard it must have been for Ashtallion to voice those words openly and actually mean them.

He bowed his head slightly, but did not rise from his seat, possibly to weary to do so. Until Loraith departed, the mage slipped into a deep silence, a slight frown on his forehead, evidence that he was deep in thought. What did mages think about? Their minds were able to grasp so much that seemed unfathomable to ordinary mortals, would what ran in their minds be too much for other to understand? Most likely.

Ashtallion would talk to Alu alone for a few moments before retiring. He had an appointment on the morrow that he could not afford to miss.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

ooc: Loraith, do you reckon we can open another thread for the bedroom?. Asht and I will continue a little sibling chat her for a bit.

IC:

The silver adhiel watched her golden brother carefully. He actually sounded like he believed in what he was saying. Perhaps trying to form some kind of friendship between Loraith and Ashtallion was not as fruitless as Alu had originally thought. Finally she smiled to Ashtallion, perhaps these new lodging arrangements would work out just fine.

Alu caught Asht's gaze and was held by it. Quickly she looked up to her grape-eating admirer "Loraith, perhaps you should go ahead ... " she said, offering a smile - the achadhiel should know by now that Alu knew exactly where she was sleeping, but that there were words left unsaid that were private between the twins. She lay her goblet down on the tray, having sipped the last of her wine - she prided herself that she had been sensible in her drinking tonight, but the wine had made her feel slightly more relaxed.

She remained seated, pleasantly waiting for Loraith to depart and wait for her in his bedchamber and for Ashtallion to speak his mind once the achadhiel had done so.

Post by Guest »

Loraith nodded and made his way up the central staircase, he popped grapes in his mouth as he did so, finally he reached his bedroom and let himself in. He would let them talk about him and then let him have his just rewards.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" So in exchange for staying here, you would share his bed? ", the words were calm, perhaps a little cold, yet the heat burned in his eyes. " I will not have my sister use herself as payment for accomodation. If you truely care for the man, then that is a different matter... ", his words trailed off, lost once more in thought. " I do not like the times that are coming. I cannot see it, but I can feel it. Anyone with a semblence of common sense and keen eyes can. "

A weary sigh whispered passed his lips. " Just be careful, Alustariel. If he harms you in any way, tell me, and I will make him regret it. "
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"My darling golden brother" Alustariel said, she had known Ashtallion's concern from the very moment he had strode onto the beach. He was her brother - he pretty much had a right to these feelings. Though he almost made her sound like a bedhopping whore as he mentioned "in exchange for staying here" Alu let it pass, Asht was her brother and he would never intend that sort of slight on her.

"It's not payment. Of course I care for Loraith, though I am still deciding on what level the rogue has trapped me on" she said. Alu wanted dearly to tell her brother that Loraith was not the first lover she had encountered, and she was not inexperienced in bedroom antics - but she knew none of this would relieve the angst Ashtallion was going through.

"These times are uncertain ... but that uncertainty is not of our making ....." she began and stopped suddenly.

"Yet ..... I blame myself .... " she said awkwardly ".... for all the trauma your experiencing" she hung her head, silver water welled in her eyes, but she managed composure and refused them to fall in tears "My paranoia and pressure took you from the Citadel - the only home you had really ever known - and brought you to a place with painfull memories for both of us"

"I compound our worries, by moving you to lie about our names and almost blasting some human girl to death ...."

Alu let a weighty silence fall, looking deep at her brother. She truly wanted the best for him. But had this all been for the best?.

"Dark times are coming for both the Citadel and Kislovan, strangely enough we seem to attract trouble like a cow does flies. What we need is the strength and security to see these times through instead of running from them further. We can do no more"

"Will you be training under Falgan?" she asked, the thought suddenly appearing in her head.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion shrugged his shoulders slightly, " I will know tomorrow. ", he hesitated, his mouth opening once then closing, choosing his words. " I told him the truth, he was not entirely pleased and will have taken the time to think over wheather or not he wants to teach me. No doubt he will also use some method to find out if I spoke the truth this time. For some reason I felt he was inside my head..... as if he knew some of my answers before I spoke them. ", the minor mage shook his head, gold hair moving as a mass of spun silk, " Such is most likely within his power. With prayers being answered, hopefully I will train under him..... I could be..... Great, if I did. And such will prove interesting in the yahren to come. Either way, I will train under someone, even if they are a lesser mage than the Battlemage Royal himself. "

" Uncertain times lead to uncertain actions. If you care for Loraith, then I can say no more on the matter. You are your own woman, Alustariel, and a powerful one at that. You know only, that should anything happen to you at anothers hand, I will spilt the heavens themselves. ", he smiled at her, yet the words falling from his mouth held a weight of unfathomable determination. Aspirations, dreams, goals. They were nothing compared to what the adhiel mage wanted.

Those golden eyes strained skywards once more, lingering over the stars and basking in the sheer power that lay up there. His smile still lingered on his lips, a secret smile, a knowing smile. " You go on to bed, Alustariel. I'm sure you are tired after the party.... and I would like some time alone anyway. ", he rose from his seat and walked over to her, leaning down to plant a soft kiss on her cheek, " Goodnight my sister, pleasent dreams. "

Standing upright, he walked effortlessly into the gardens, hands behind his back. Yet again delving into the depths of his oceanic thoughts.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu rose, as if in a dreamlike state and walked to the edge of the verandah. She looked back at her brother, framed in the moonlight. She so wanted to turn back time 50 yahren or so, to a time when they were together in idyllic peace and comfort - with not a care in the world. But she knew for certain that time was gone - though it was comforting to remember still that the bond that the twins cared was unbreakable.

"The truth always comes out, perhaps its best for us that its out now. I'm sure Falgan will see our reasons" she said softly as he kissed her on the cheek.

Alustariel turned to disapear into the estate as Ashtallion moved through the gardens, but paused. She swung back around slowly. There was more she wished to say, and perhaps she should have said I care for Loraith, but in what capacity I am determining for myself. But she thought perhaps it was best to leave it for tonight.

"Ashtallion" she smiled. "I love you". Simply said, wholly meant. Alu blew her brother a kiss.

And then she was gone, into the house.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He paused to watch his sister as she entered the house, silver moonlight spilling over her, setting her glittering hair aglow. With a soft sigh passing his lips, he turned once more as Alustariel disappeared from sight and continued to roam the gardens. Despite the fact he was not sure what had promted him to wander alone at this time of night, the adhiel mage none the less enjoyed the solace he discovered, walking under the stars and moon. What his sister had said about omens and the such, it started him thinking. Was divination a magic he should persue also? To foretell the future, or parts of it at least would prove extremely beneficial.

For now, he had to focus on his elements. To become a Master Elemetalist.... it would take all his concentration and focus, once attained, he could afford to pursue other magicks, hopefully rediscover the ancient sorceries that made the Wizards of Old so great. Wishful thinking perhaps, but not entirely impossible.

Father, guide me. Is the darkness I feel coming so terrible? What can I do to fight it? Am I strong enough...

For all the power he held, he was still soo inexperience, riddled with doubts both his own and of others. Plagued with constant indecision. Had he made the right move in coming to Kislovan? The University was being corrupted from the inside out, Fauna, her strange magic. Demons, vile energies.. it was becoming too much for the mage. Kislovan would give him the chance to grow strong, powerful, respected, hopefully instill in him the confidence he needed, give him the Sorceries he greatly desired.

Help me, Father of the Heavens.

As he strode gracefully amongst the flowers and grasses, he prayed silently, sending his unuttered words towards the stars and skies where he knew his God would hear them.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

In the gardens behind the Cullàmh house night's shroud drew about Ashtallion, insulating him from the glow of the lamps on the rear veranda and exposing him to the full grandeur of the heavens above. Stars blazed overhead, here gathered densely together like a swarm of fireflies, there sprinkled widely like the dispersing sparks of some celestial bonfire. Behind them lurked the blue-black blanket of the firmament, the quilt upon which all were strewn.

As he cast his silent prayers into the night sky, the constellation of the Bear resolved itself as the predominant starsign above. Arkovda, Alustariel had named it, a sign of Fire and Strength. It was the reigning sign in the heavens come the late months of the yahren, its composite stars fiercely bright as they watched over the world.

With the last of his prayers floating off on the wind, Ashtallion's gaze was drawn to a sudden spark in the sky. It lasted only flickers before the darkness reclaimed dominance, but for just that short while a streaking path of fire had slashed across the Bear's head. It was almost as if the beast's very eyes had flared to life...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His eyes were drawn to the flash across the sky, reflecting on his golden gaze. The corner of his lips curled into the slightest of smirks, yet nothing more would have given away his momentary interest in the bears starlit and firey eyes. A trick of the mind perhaps. He had only just sent his prayers heaven-wards and was this to be his answer? Supressing a chuckle he continued on with his meandering in the darkness, careful not to stump his foot or walk into a tree.

Ashtallion stopped once more though, a slight frown on his forehead as he returned to the skies and the constellations. Was that your answer, Father?

Perhaps he was simply to take it as an omen.... he had his doubts as to whether he would find out.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Thread skilled!

Return to “Kislovan Archive”