Truth and Consequences - Ashtallion, Sam 26

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Truth and Consequences - Ashtallion, Sam 26

Post by Sevti »

The Battlemage Royal waited several long burns after Naddali headed through the arched walkway to the Palace proper before turning to his remaining student with a nod. "Very well done, Lustros. Very apt in both your magic and your teaching abilities. What do you think of young Naddali?"

With a slim hand, he waved to one of the empty seats next to him as a clear invitation for Ashtallion to take his rest. His other hand rose to release a small light-servant which quickly flitted off behind the now departed subject of their conversation. "Refreshments will be on their way shortly. Good though you are, I'm sure that use of magic took more than a little out of you," the master explained with a knowing look.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

" Thank you, Mage Falgan. ", the lesson had indeed taxed him and he took the offered seat gladly, enjoying the short respite, but knowing that what he had to say next might very well determine his future here.

" Mage Falgan.... this is very difficult for me to say..... ", the blonde adhiel stopped, pausing for a moment to gather his thoughts. " My name is not, Lustros Goldeneye, nothing that pretentious could be real. I am Ashtallion Urdil, from the Citadel and University of Magick. ", Ashtallion could not raise his eyes to meet those of the senior mages', knowing the look that would be behind that gaze, " My sister is Alustariel, not Lustra. The two of us left the Citadel for I was apparently being used and in all honesty I feared for my life, and the life of my sister. "

" The Citadel has become a place rife with evil and demonic workings. Corruption runs in every way of life from politics to even that of the University. ", Asht could feel water building up in his eyes, blurring his vision, but he would not let one single tear fall, he had pride enough to prevent that. " Please understand that I despise lying. Which is why I tell you the truth now, abeit perhaps it is too late. I was frightened...I do not have the power nor the strength to assure my own safety and that of my sister. Though no doubt she would find a way to fend for herself if need be. "

Stopping once more to take a breath, Asht then continued, his eyes now rising to look at Falgan. " Please.... I am sorry for lying, Mage Falgan, but I do understand.... that you will have to do as you feel you must. "
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

When Ashtallion finally raised his gaze, it was to find Falgan watching him intently, his face impassive. He said nothing for several long flickers, the time seeming to draw out in uncomfortable silence.

"So that is what you were hiding," he finally remarked. He paused again as a servant arrived, her tray laden with fresh fruit, cheese, crackers and two large carafes. She quickly placed the items on the table between mage and student, bowing to each before once more retreating.

The older adhiel poured a glass of Kislovani red, offering it to the younger mage beside him before either setting it aside for himself or pouring himself a second drink. Picking up a slice of sharp cheddar, he flowed back into his seat, the wine at his right elbow. "I'd like more details of the problems at the Citadel," he instructed. "You mentioned demonic workings...?" A bite of cheese was followed quickly by a sip of the deep red wine.
Tickle-fight champion.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

This was not the reaction he had been expecting, and found himself taken aback. Though in all fairness, he knew Falgan very little, so there was little to judge a reaction on. " Yes.... yes, the demons... um.. well there was a definate rise in demonic energy about the Citadel and especially within the University itself. "

" Myself and two others, fellow students, had battled a dark mage..... I....ended... him. Or so I thought, a friend of mine....she... became tainted somehow and I fear greatly for her. Along similiar lines, there was a demon that had somehow fused itself with one of the students there, again myself and other collegues destroyed it. I was part... and technically still am, part of a group set up within the University. The Mage Hunters. We were to be a team that sought out and purged the Citadel of such creatures. It came as no surprise that I had been appointed the role of 'The Warrior' within the group.. ", Ashtallion put his hand into the sash around his waist and pulled out the Tarot Card that was his Warrior Card.

" This card, and the blade I normally wear, The Pelegrim, were gifts given to me..... the card allows me to draw on more energy when needed, though it has its limits...I have yet to test them. ", he looked at the card, keeping it in his hand incase Falgan wished to examine it closer.

" I believe demons or dark sorcerers...perhaps both... are worming their way into the higher ranks of society at the Citadel, with the Caesars recent death, no doubt it will give them the perfect oppourtunity to seize what power they can. I was used.... in a way....and although I do not know who by, I suspect it was someone of definate ill-repute. ", Ashtallion stopped again, watching Falgan, trying to match the mages' impassive expression, yet found himself failing in the presence of a Master.

" Such is really all I know, and much is speculation and guess work. "
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The Battlemage Royal set his goblet back down and reached out for the card that Ashtallion held. While the younger mage continued with the rest of his story, the older teacher studied the object in his hand.

Looking much like it could have come from any deck of tarot drawn by a talented artist, the mage could instead see what lay beneath the painted Warrior standing, sword at the ready to battle his unseen enemy. He read what the card had to tell him and, by the time Ashtallion had finished his brief tale, was ready to hand it back to him.

"Interesting," he replied, holding the card out for the younger adhiel to take once more. "Both your tale and this card. What it tells me does coincide with your story. It's a pity it won't be of use to you here."

Leaning back into his seat once more, his hazel eyes peered at his younger student over the edge of his goblet as he took another long sip. "Now for two more important questions. What, exactly, gives you reason to believe your life is in danger - has something specific happened or is it only a feeling you have? And will that danger follow you here?"

He continued to watch the blonde adhiel before him as though weighing his answers by some hidden method within his own psyche.
Tickle-fight champion.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He took the card back gingerly, replacing it back in his sash and pondering for a moment on Falgan's strange words about not needing it here.... did he just mean at that precise moment, or in general within Kislovan? The Card had served him before, and Ashtallion had no doubt it would do again in the furture.

" Well, to begin with, the dark sorcerer I had killed... or thought I had. There is a possibilty he did not die completely, and I would imagine he is not so enamoured with me. ", this next topic would most likely determine is definate future here.

" When I said I was being used as a puppet.... the Ceasars death.... ", he paused, looking away, " You may have heard it suspected it was not of natural causes. During a tournament, I found myself sparring with Caesar Anochrim and beyond my belief, I bested him and won the bout between us. It was through no skill of my that I out matched him, his prowess was well known and regarded most highly. There was reason to suspect that my weapon had been tainted with some form of poison... or reactant I think is the word. "

" In other words it was my blow that started his decline in health, and later I found myself subject to interrogation and harsh questioning. Whoever had used me... ", he shook his head, " Just now it is a only a feeling, although a strong one. I imagined whoever was behind the scheme may have wanted rid of me, and any close to me that might interfere such as Alustariel. None knew of our departure, so unless my Pupper-Master has incredibly good connections, I cannot see anything following me to Kislovan. "

Ashtallion found he could not meet Falgans' gaze directly. Why did he feel so ashamed... he done what he thought best to perserve his own life and that of his family...
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

"So it would not be... beneficial to any of us for those that may desire your demise to know this is where you've fled to." Falgan steepled his hands before him thoughtfully. "It does make your story rather difficult to verify, but I still have some ways of testing their truth without announcing the fact that you are currently under my protection. I already know that you believe the truth of your words. But belief and knowledge are not always one in the same."

The Battlemage stared at the younger adhiel until Ashtallion met his eyes once more. Only then did he continue speaking. "You've done us both a grave disservice by not trusting me from the beginning," he intoned gravely. "I despise those that lie, for rarely is the purpose good enough. However... I'll need time to think on this. There is much to weigh and much to know. Return tomorrow, two marks into Morning Tide. I will let you know then if you shall continue your studies with me or if you'll need to find a lesser instructor elsewhere."

Unfolding his hands, he took up his glass once more in a clear dismissal of the younger mage.
Tickle-fight champion.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" A disservice which could I did not believe I could avoid, Mage Falgan, but I know you are right. Lies are something I cannot adhere to, which was why I decided to 'come clean' to you. Hopefully you may take something from that... ", he did not smile, for he had nothing to appear joyful about for now.

" Until tomorrow, and thank you for listening to me, no matter what decision you make. ", with a respectful bow, Ashtallion gathered his dignity, what was left of it anyway, and left the senior mage.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

OOC: And... end. Asht, why don't you go ahead and start the next thread and then we'll see just what Falgan has to say?
Tickle-fight champion.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”