Kis: The Great Palace - Samheen 27, MT ~ Iosif

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Iosif Seregon

Kis: The Great Palace - Samheen 27, MT ~ Iosif

Post by Iosif Seregon »

The Great Palace of Kislovan is perched on a small hill overlooking the coast on the eastern side of the River Cerl. Its colonnaded approach runs up the hillside through terraced gardens, kept lush and gorgeous by the Shaper Royal, Master Bandir; nature and artifice beautifully entwined. The sounds of bird song fill the air, even as the heady fragrance of tropical blossoms drifts on the warm breeze.

Surrounding the walled palace, in truth a highly decorated castle, is what at first glance appears to be an ordinary small lake, as if it is merely a large reflecting pool in the gardens. However, it server a definite defensive function, for it is a moat, crossed only by a red and black lacquered wooden bridge which could apparently be retracted if the palace were to come under attack, although the mechanism for this was well concealed. Yet the simple beauty of the lake and bridge in this setting obscures their practicality.

The high, unyielding exterior walls are softened in appearance by plaster in off-white, and topped with large half-circles, painted in patterns of blues and purples. Here is one place where vegetation had not been encouraged, or even allowed, to grow. The barbican can be sealed off, as is evinced by the ivory tips of a stout wooden portcullis showing across the top of the broad opening. This traditional gateway opens into an inner garden court, rather than a bailey; a more intimate floral experience than beyond the walls. Tropical birds and blossoms abound; a wondrous experience for the senses.

The palace itself is of several storeys, differing from point to point, making it a cacophony of varying roof-lines, including several domes of varying sizes, plastered and painted in blue, green and gold, as well as tiled roofs. The walls are also plastered in off-white and decorated with painted friezes in geometric designs in brown, red and blue. Plants seem to be growing on parts of the roofs and on balconies, making it look as if the structure is alive with vegetation.

Long, broad steps lead up to a colonnaded entry that appears to be formed by trees forming a canopy above the huge wooden double doors. The gilded doors soar well over twice the height of the average Adhiel, and stand open during public hours, welcoming visitors into the vast entrance chamber known as the Great Hall. This chamber, its ceiling forming the first dome, is a huge open space, broken only by plastered and painted columns. Clerestory windows bathe the space in natural light, augmented by lamps hung on the columns. The Great Hall’s walls are hung with brightly coloured fabrics, depicting historical and mythological scenes; works of great art and craftsmanship. Potted trees and flowering plants flourish even here.

Here the nobility and wealthier merchants and artisans mingle, the buzz of conversation rarely pausing during public hours. Deals are struck, fortunes made and lost, as the vague scent of incense and the nearly invisible servants weave their way through the chamber. Not all who gather here are awaiting a royal audience. Indeed, there are those who merely come to see and be seen, or hear and be heard.

~~~~~

“Eabh ta seodhiu inaidha,” a young woman called in greeting, sweeping into an appropriately gauged curtsy. She was clad in the traditional sari, and the pale green of the cotton fabric declared her position as a servant of the palace. “How may a Page of the Great Palace be of service to you?” she asked, with a polite smile.

~

Iosif had hardly noticed the exertion of walking up the hill. His eyes drank in the image of the palace before him like a man who’d gone without water for a week. He had never held beauty in the same fashion as other adhiel with their adoration of nature. Iosif had another idea of beauty, centered around form and symmetry. He admired structure and foundation and most of all, the projection of power. His limited imagination could conceive no more powerful structure than the towering palace at the top of the hill.

Iosif was awed by the palace but definitely not cowed. There was something about that the palace that felt right to young adhiel. Destiny had played a part in bringing him here as surely as his feet were on the ground. When he stepped through the gilded doors, he felt as if they opened for him personally.

He looked around at those gathered. Do not worry Koba, you belong. The merchants and nobility did not bother Iosif as long as they were adhiel. In his days studying at the temple in Sirionn, the wealthy would often visit his temple to pay tribute or just to meet with the priest. But then, in his small section of the city, it was exclusively adhiel. The capital was much more cosmopolitan, much to his chagrin. If his gaze happened to fall on any human, or worse, the traitorous achadhiel, he would grit his teeth and try his best to hide his displeasure. It would not due to cause a scene yet.

Or, at least another scene. thought Iosif to himself. He swallowed hard and tried to forget the meeting with the guards. He had been lucky they were trying to be polite. He presumed they had a lax commander. If he were their officer, no one who would cause that much of a ruckus would be treated as softly as he had been. Shaking in his head in disgust at their weakness, he stepped forward to address the young female that had spoke.

“How may a Page of the Great Palace be of service to you?”

Adjusting his peasant’s dhoti, Isoif felt less self conscious in front of the page.

“Namaste. I am Iosif Seregon of Sirionn,” said Iosif crisply. “I have recently left the brotherhood of K’tan to offer my service to the government of Cerleann. I am a skilled administrator. I can ride and handle a bow. I was told at the Circular Temple that I should present myself here.”
Last edited by Iosif Seregon on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

"Namaste, good Sir," she returned with a smile. "We look forward to serving you, and finding service for you. I would suggest you speak with the Lady Senechal, Sir. If you'll follow me this way...?"

She paused only long enough to be assured that he would follow her, then lead him through a maze of corridors until they came upon a set of ornate double doors. The guilded plaque proclaimed them to be their destination - the offices of the Senechal.

The woman smiled and opened one door, stepping just inside to speak with whomever was beyond. "If you've the time, Lady Senechal, there is a Iosef Seregon of Sirionn. He comes to offer his services to the Palace."

"Show him in," a melodious voice from the other side of the door.

Standing aside, the woman allowed Iosef to enter past her. Through the doors, the adhiel could see yet another impressive room, showing the exact same riches and splendour as everywhere in the grand Palace. This particular office breathed space as the foresty tapetries were smartly entwined with vines, adding a detail of realism to the otherwise typical style of weaving. Great windows allowed an abundance of light to play with the chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling, forming little rainbows as the beams of the sun broke up in every imaginable colour.

A pair of grey-green eyes surveyed the visitor from behind the simple but large desk. Relatively comfortable chairs were placed in front of the wooden piece of furniture, decorated in the same woodlands style as the rest of the room.

"Please take a seat," she offered when Iosef had at last entered the room and the door closed behind him. Her blond hair was in plaited into a no-nonsense braid. It had slipped over her shoulder as she had turned to watch the young adhiel enter and now she unconciously flipped it back to hang down her back. "And tell me what you can offer us as a servant to the Crown."
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Typically, Iosif blocked out the clever display of color and nature to focus on the official seated for him. His eyes found the one thing that allowed him to assess his situation. The lady’s braid, simple and practical, was something Iosif admired. Too often, Iosif thought, to a female or even a male for that matter, hair was simply a contemptible outlet for vanity. And unfortunately, a vain adhiel was not uncommon.

Iosif followed the woman’s instructions and sat down in the woodland themed chair. He took a deep breath and provided his answer.

“I am a man of several talents, Mistress Seneschal,” began Iosif with an air of humble confidence. “I began training as an acolyte of the father K’tan but I found the order unsuitable for one of my character. Their regimen is slightly inflexible but it did provide me with a superior understanding of the etiquette involved in public affairs, simple public speaking skills and the ability to read and write. I believe my motivation and sense of organization would make me an effective administrator.”

Iosif let out his breath. Though he portrayed confidence, he was still relatively young and he was slightly self conscious when talking about himself. Interviews of this nature made him edgy, even if that was not their intent, as if he had to justify his reasons for even being here. He was not the type of man to justify his reasons or his actions. He would always know when he was right and if, on the off chance, he might be wrong.

“I am also trained in simple skills needed for soldiery. I can ride, shoot and hunt,” Iosif said in a matter of fact tone. He had other skills useful to soldiery, and administration, for that matter, but the young adhiel felt it unwise to describe his penchant for handling issues rather forcefully.

“I am here to serve, Mistress. I am hoping the Crown can use a man of my considerable aptitude and passion for my nation.”
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The woman tapped her fingers against her desk as Iosef ennumerated his credentials. Her sea-swept eyes watched him thoughtfully and when he finished, she caught her bottom lip between her teeth for a flicker. "Impressive, for one so... young. It is rare that one of your young age has enough experience in administration to be of any use. Still..."

Her fingers stopped their drumming and she lifted a single piece of parchment from her desk. "Something has come across my desk recently, a request for assistance that I think could utilize your experience. It's an entry-level position - an assistant to the Lord Reeve General. You'd need to speak with him regarding the details of the position. This isn't a guarantee that he'll accept you for the position," she warned, setting the page down once more. "The choice is ultimately up to him. But it is the best suggestion I have at the moment."

She reached for the bell-pull beside her desk. "I will have someone take you to him." Without waiting for his reply, she pulled it once to summon a page to her office once more.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

"You are most gracious, Mistress Seneschal. I understand the risks involved in such an appointment. I will do my utmost to ensure that your faith in me and your commitment to the Lord Reeve General will be rewarded," replied Iosif smoothly.

Iosif was not a humble man but neither was he stupid. A little obsequiousness would go a long way to ingratiate himself with the Crown's administrators. Secretly, he was rankled by the comment about his age. He knew it was meant to be a dual edged compliment. For the moment, he decided a grudge would be unnecessary.

"I shall be pleased with any opportunity to serve," declared Iosif with a small bow.

Koba, let us see where they take us
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

The page arrived at the chamber. Finishing a note she had written, the Seneschal sealed it with wax and handed it to him. "Take two horses from the stables and take this young man down to the Shark's Tooth. Give this to the Lord Reeve General, and then bring the horses back" she told the page.

Her meaning was clear. If he failed to impress the Lord Reeve, Iosif would have a long walk back.

The page bowed before both of them and led the newest palace employee out to the stables. He indicated a row of horses and tack. "Please feel free to select anyone you would want." This said, he went over to a tall chestnut colored mare and began to saddle it.
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Iosif had learned little about horses growing up save riding. He knew that Kislovani destriers were fast, powerful beasts renowned worldwide for their performance as cavalry. He could also recognize size and strength and obvious ailments such as mange, but so could any man who’d learned to ride in Kislovan. So, he chose a dark bay gelding with a white blaze that seemed to be about the right temperament and looked healthy. He hoped he would not become a fool.

Iosif found a saddle near where the page had indicated and laid it gently on his bay’s back. Giving the horse some encouraging words and a friendly pat on the neck, he cinched the strap and secured the halter. He then double checked his straps to ensure they were fit properly. True, he thought a horse merely an animal of duty, but Iosif also knew the value of skillfully maintained equipment and resources. To dismiss the comfort of the horse when riding would be to the rider’s folly and embarrassment.

Iosif then secured his pack to the saddle, rechecked the halter and mounted as smoothly as he was able. Kislovani horses were large animals and even the tallest adhiel required agility to mount them in a single motion. Still, it was not Iosif’s first time and confidence, when dealing with horses, was key.

“I am ready, page,” said Iosif, almost condescendingly. He peered closely at his traveling companion and wondered what he could gain from him. Iosif wanted to consider him useless. Most likely, the boy was simply the Seneschal’s errand runner and knew little of the true machinations of palace life. Perhaps though, the boy would come across information from time to time. The boy would not realize its value but it would be there nonetheless. And information was the key to power, so perhaps the boy wasn’t so useless after all.

Iosif sighed deeply and directed his horse toward the exit. Forcing a smile he turned to his companion and asked “You must see a bit of craziness in this job, no? Have you been with the palace staff long?”
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"About two years now." the page replied. He sat up a little straighter in the saddle with pride as he said this. "The Seneschal and some of the other senior administrators have started to pick me more often for the more important assignments, like guiding you to meet the Lord Reeve General. I hope to be promoted to Senior Page soon."

As they turned the horses and started to ride off Ioseif had the chance to look over his guide's riding set up. Nearly all the equipment was set just as his own, except he had forgetten to put a blanket under the saddle.

As he thought about it, the words of his riding teacher echoed in his head. Personally, I always put a blanket under to protect the horse, but you really don't need one for a short ride, especially if you are not riding hard.

They continued to ride on in silence until they were past the gates of the palace. "As for what I have seen", the page continued, as though there had been no break in thier speech, "my ability to keep my silence about what I have seen is one of the things that I hope recommends me for promotion. Like all the senior pages, I expect that the promotion will require that I have a patron who will support my application; and to that person I will owe a great deal, including my loyalty."
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

OOC: Am back. :)

Iosif grimaced at his failure to notice the blanket. He would remember this mistake and he secretly looked to see if the page had also noticed the error. Iosif was prideful man. It would not do for one of a page’s status to be aware of his weakness.

“It is good that you have ambition,” acknowledged Iosif as they moved past the palace gates toward their destination. He was only slightly perturbed that the page would consider him unworthy of his confidence. This adhiel knew his role and that was something to be admired.

“And it is good that you realize the value of discretion, though I am no threat to your ascension,” chuckled Iosif.

“I merely make conversation,” he continued. “Doubtless your patron must realize your discretion as well. Your patron must be very pleased with what he’s seen in his junior applicants” Iosif assumed, silently wondering if the man had even been noticed yet. His knowledge of palace politics was young still, but he would not be surprised if there were dozens of young pages in the same situation. Perhaps this one may be useful yet mused Iosif.

“I will mention this exercise of judgment to the Lord Reeve General when I see him.” Iosif assured the page, turning his eyes toward the horizon. He would be at his destination soon. Iosif was not nervous, but was curious. K’tan had opened the door for him and he was grateful. But, what lay beyond the door? That, Iosif felt, was up to him, not the benevolence of his god.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

His reply had the page arch his eyebrows slightly, looking as if he was about to speak, then qickly close his mouth again, making his face a bland mask. "Thank you sir. Your acknowledgement to the Lord Reeve General is much appreciated."

The two rode on in silence for between a quarter and half a mark, following the trail down the hill to the wharf that could be seen in the distance. Coming throught the gate that marked the formal boundry of the city, the page saluted the guards and led him on, out to a pier where a two masted ship sat moored in the harbor. It was swept, painted, and polished to within an inch of its life. Along the bow was carved an image of the Mother, her hair streaming out behind her until it blended with the railings and wood work of the ship.

In proud letters over a foot high were the adhiel words SHARK'S TOOTH

The page pulled his horse to a stop at the bottom of the gangplank and dismounted. Showing the paper with the imperial chop to a nearby sailor, the page handed him the reins to his horse. "Hold this" he told the sailor in a haughty voice and turned to wait on Iosif.
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

OOC: I assumed the page did not dismount. Let me know and I can edit. Sorry for the short post - just getting back into things. :)

IC: Iosif was intrigued by the ship. He'd seen plenty of them in the harbor of Sirionn. They reminded him of his father and at this, he was none too pleased. He grimaced as they approached, uncaring if the guards or the page witnessed his displeasure.

He pulled his horse next to the page's and returned the young man's look.

"On the orders of the Seneschal, we are here to see the Lord Reeve General." Iosif said flatly to the sailor. He dismounted and handed his reigns to the sailor as the page had done. The page was letting him lead, which, in Iosif's view of the world was as it should be. With a confident, if not wholly arrogant air, Iosif lead the way up the gangplank of the Shark's Tooth.
Last edited by Iosif Seregon on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

At the top of the gangplank was another sailor. Clearly having heard the exchange below he accepted the nod from the sailor below of the appropriateness of the two adhiel approaching him. Stepping to the side he swept his right arm toward the topdeck while his left brought a tiny silver whistle to his lips to play out a sharp, piercing, and complex pattern.

"Namaste."

The deck he stood upon was spotless. So was the brass and iron of the railings and fitting around the ship but that didn't seem to matter to the adhiel stripped down to just dohti who were polishing them as if their lives depended on the shine they produced.

Looking up the indicated steps, Iosif could see the fluttering of a cloth canopy that had been erected to provide protection from the sun. Underneath were heads of men deeply engaged in conversation.
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

"Namaste," replied Iosif as he moved in the direction the adhiel's arm indicated. He was slighlty unclear as to how he should proceed aboard a ship. Sailors were their own breed and Iosif was not of it. The only strategy he could think of was to stride as purposefully as he could. Project confidence and power.

He passed the sailor and ascended the steps toward the pavilion on the deck. Iosif looked closely at the men beneath the tent. He could see little of their features with their heads bowed such. Tthe stark contrast between the adhiel cleaining the deck in their dhoti and these beneath shaded beneath a tent lead Iosif to believe these were powerful individuals. But, of course, men who took council with the Lord Reeve General should be.

Iosif stepped off the stairs and to the side to allow the page room to stand beside him. He was unsure whether he would introduce himself or if the page would. Likely, the page would be responsible, as he'd been the one given the orders. Regardless, he would wait until noticed by the men beneath the canopy before speaking. Though arrogant and opinionated, there was something that struck him as seriously career limiting if he were to interrupt a man of the Lord Reeve General's standing.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As the page reached the top of the steps behind Iosif and prepared to speak, the youngest of the four adhiel spoke. His voice was calm and almost musical, but pitched loud enough to carry to the guard at the gangplank. His eyes, however never left the map of the Kislovan cost he was reviewing.

"Since neither of you are carrying the Kislovan Red I ordered, I assume you are not the new yomen brining us refreshment. Also, since my guard has not seen fit to give both of you a personal introduction to the sea, I assume you have both permission and a good reason for being here."

His adhiel language was clear, sharp, and with just a touch of an accent that Iosif knew of as indicating the Palace and upper crust born and bred. He turned his head to regard the two of them blue eyes with no hint of mercy or compassion.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Speak, Koba

"Indeed, sir, we do have permission," said Iosif confidently stepping forward. He held himself poised before these men, buoyed by his self-assurance and utter belief in his ability to prove himself worthy.

"As you can see by the page's paperwork," continued Iosif giving the page a look to tell him to deliver the Seneschal's note. "My name is Iosif Seregon. The Lady Seneschal directed me to the Lord Reeve General in answer to his request for an assistant. Her instructions indicated I should seek the Lord Reeve to obtain details on the position. I am here to receive those details so I may be of service to our nation."

Do not falter, do not let them sense weakness Koba. One day these men may bow to you, but today . . .today, you will be humble.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The page stepped forward as indicated and dropping into a deep formal bow, presented the papers to the young man. He took them, examined the seal, and handed them off to one of the older adhiel next to him. The older man, repslenant in his formal naval uniform with many medals and ribbons on his chest, opened it, read the contents, and nodded.

"Very well then. You," the young adhiel, the only one not in uniform, continued as he pointed at the page. "Consider your job complete. Take the horses and report back to the palace."

"And you," his finger was now aimed at the center of Iosif's chest. "Tell me a little about yourself. Let's see if you will fit aboard the Shark's Tooth"
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Mon May 15, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Iosif regarded the young adhiel before him cautiously. He spoke harshly but with an accent flavored by nobility. He did not wear a uniform yet was at least an equal of the men with him. Iosif doubted this was the Lord Reeve General, but his knowledge of the upper echelon of Kislovan society was still poor. This man was an enigma.

However, who he was talking to had not registered nearly as much as what he'd just been asked. Fit aboard the Shark's Tooth? Iosif was slightly surprised. Never in his life had he been a sailor. Is that what he was signing up for? A tour on a warship? He furrowed his brow. He'd been asked . . .rather, been ordered to describe himself.

“I am the humble son of a longshoreman from Sirionn," began Iosif, matching his sincerity to the harshness of the man's tone. That sentence alone would tell these men volumes about him. He was the son of a peasant in one of the most racially divided areas of Kislovan. He had since left that home and was here in Cerelean seeking greater service to his nation and people. Indeed, a shrewd man would discern much from his opening statement.

"I began training in Sirionn as an acolyte of the father K’tan but I found the order unsuitable for one of my character. However, their education greatly increased my understanding of the etiquette involved in public affairs. I also learned simple public speaking skills and the ability to read and write. I am motivated to serve and have a sense of organization that would make me an effective administrator.”

He paused to read the looks on the mens' faces. Though he was probably offering too much information, it would be better to be descriptive than curt. He felt his skills were what they were seeking. If they wanted to know him personally, a public introduction would be an odd choice of locale. Perhaps, in time, they would come to know him.

“I am also trained in simple skills needed for soldiery, but not, I'm afraid of sailoring. I can ride, shoot and hunt, and I am a fast learner” Iosif finished in a matter of fact tone. He had other skills useful to soldiery, and administration, for that matter, but the young adhiel felt it unwise to describe his penchant for handling issues rather forcefully.

He looked to the young adhiel to see if his description had passed muster. Iosif wondered indeed if he would fit aboard the Shark's Tooth.
Last edited by Iosif Seregon on Wed May 17, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Sirionn, indeed." The blond youngster, certainly not more that twice Iosif's own age nodded.

"Then I assume you are familiar with the duality of the Kislovani military's duties: Both the internal and the external threats that we face?" Seeing the answer he was looking for on his visitor's face, he continued.

"And of course the question becomes are they two different threats or parts of the greater whole. For example, today we are planning an exercise to follow and intercept a ship. One that I believe is carrying weapons and supplies from the Western Kingdom to the thrice damned so-called Wolf."

"Come over here and take a look at this map. Ypu may not know the sea, but you claim to have a hunter's eye and a fresh pair of eyes is always a good thing."
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Iosif looked at the man before him curiously. He'd been told to meet the Lord Reeve General. Perhaps this was him? So far he was the only one who'd spoken and he spoke with a noble accent. It was also who the page had addressed. Perhaps.

Regardless, he'd been invited to review the map, a prospect which was, at once, both terrifying and exhilirating. Of course, Iosif kept his cool. In his mind it only seemed right that he should be able to offer an opinion.

He stepped closer and peered at the map. Follow and intercept. The goal was simple and very similar to a huntsman's task. Track the quarry and confront, or as was most likely, attack.

"Well sir," started Iosif calmly, "it seems to me that if you intend to follow and intercept, your success depends on speed. You must be able to sail faster than the other ship if you are to overtake him. Your other option is to guess where he might go and cut him off. Change your route, if you will, to intersect what you think his." He leaned closer and examined the coastline of the main island. The numerous isles just off the coast would make the chase difficult. The ship they were trailing would easily be able to hide. But, then, the advantage could work both ways. If they were to get their before the smugglers then they would have the advantage.

"You could also lay an ambush for them around one of the isles, sir," said Iosif, pointing to a likely route. "And, if you have an extra ship, you could almost drive them to you and then cut off their route of escape."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The adhiel nodded approvingly as Iosif spoke. Decisively, he turned to the page. "Please return to the palace and convey my thanks to my aunt."

Turning to his new companion he continued. "My last aide de camp was injuried in a training exercise with some of the battlemages. I had not yet even thought about replacing him. For now we will brevet you to the rank of Luftenant. I like your thinking about the second ship. That is in fact why the captains are here. To discuss setting up the pincer movement. For now your first order is to go down to the galley and kick the yoeman in the ass until he shows up with the wine I ordered. I will not have the Shark's Tooth known as a place with poor hospitality."
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

His aunt? Iosif frowned inwardly. Then perhaps this is the Lord Reeve General himself. He stood tall and listened to the order given. This was definitely something he could do.

“Thank you, sir. I will see this task completed at once,” replied Iosif crisply. He smiled an administrative smile then turned and descended the steps to seek the entrance to the lower decks of the ship. He knew a little of their construction from the tales his father told and his presence near the docks of Sirionn. Following instinct and, more importantly, his nose, he made his way to the lower decks toward the galley.

As he walked, Iosif thought about the encounter he’d had with the man who was apparently the Lord Reeve General. He was younger than Iosif had expected but obviously commanded respect. Not a single captain had interrupted their conversation. All had been older and yet deferred to him. The man wields power, Koba. Iosif agreed with himself. If what he heard were true, he was now the aide de camp a member of the Palace government and would have the rank of Leuftenant for the time being. Good things could be done in this position, he decided. Good things, indeed.

He arrived at the spot he thought most likely the galley and hailed the first sailor he saw. Iosif was conscious of his clothes then. He was not dressed in uniform and, though he wore his best dhotee, it was still peasant’s clothing. He would not be able to pass as what he claimed by appearance alone. A firm tone and a direct approach would be necessary. Fortunately, Iosif was prepared for that type of encounter. It is the same approach the priests of K’tan would use. He smiled ruefully at their memory.

“Excuse me, sailor,” said Iosif tersely. “I am Leuftenant Seregon, Aide de Camp of the Lord Reeve General. I am ordered to find the yeoman responsible for bringing us our wine. Can you bring him to me?”
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The sailor Iosif had met was easily a head taller than he was, and nearly as broad as a human with the wiry muscles of someone who spent their days climbing ropes and rigging. He turned as Iosif spoke and nearly spat something out, but before he spoke he stopped himself.

The new leuftenant could nearly see the wheels turning in the man's brain as he thought. If he's lying, the Lord Admiral will have him whipped, and may even let me do the whipping. If he is telling the truth and I get in his way, I may well taste the lash.

"This way sir" He led Iosif down a corridor, turning sideways to get past a couple of other sailors and entered the galley. "Which of you washer's of the One Eyes Balls is supposed to be getting wine for his Lordship?"

A young boy, still easily in his teens waved quickly. He was putting glasses on a tray already holding bottles and some baked sweets. Grabbing the tray for himself, Iosif's guide led the three of them back to the bridge where Morn (for it was indeed the Lord Admiral Iosif had been speaking to) and his guests waited.

"Ah Iosif", Morn spoke as he saw them approach. "So I see you went right to the Mate to make sure things were done. Good job both of you. Set the wine down here. Lueftenant, will you please pour out."
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

OOC: Lord Reeve General or Lord Admiral?

IC: Iosif allowed the man to do his duty with a silent appreciation for the respect he had shown. Though the man was extraordinarily tall for an adhiel and as brawny as a human, Iosif would have had no problem bullying the man into obeying his requests. When they arrived on the upper deck, Iosif was at first surprised at the order to pour the wine. He had not signed on to wait on anyone. And then he realized that the request had been an invitation to join as well.

"Thank you, my lord, you are indeed generous," replied Iosif, selecting the nearest goblet. He poured and offered the first glass to the man he still assumed was the Lord Reeve General. He then served the other men at the table, leaving himself for last. He was not a servant, but he was the junior man. Pride could be swallowed for a little while longer. When each adhiel present had a glass, Iosif raised his.

"To Kislovan and her people," toasted the young man. Yes, to her only true people. Iosif had heard rumors of this Wolf on his journey and near the docks of Sirionn. He was the leader of a human rebellion. The man to who he was speaking was working against that rebellion. Iosif realized he was very much in the right place.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"To Kislovan and her people,"

As Iosif spoke the his toast clearly caught the attention of the others around the table. His choice of the word adhiel for her people especially seemed to have made an impression.

The three others all raised thier glasses and repeated his toast. Clinking glasses they all drank. Unbuttoning collars, they sat down. Clearly the formal discussion part of the meeting was over.

"Rilana is a fool." The oldest adhiel was speaking. She still sees the pirates as an economic issue not a political one. How can she not see that the Wolf on the Seas and the Brotherhood here on Kislovan are linked, one to the other."

Even as the captain was speaking Iosif could hear a comotion of some sort growing on the dock where the ship was tied off.
Iosif Seregon

Post by Iosif Seregon »

Iosif sat back and listened to the older men discuss the world. He knew little of the situation with the pirates. Rumors were all, really. Hearing the men speak so frankly about one of their colleague's shortcomings intrigued the young man. Koba, there is strife amongst our leaders. Iosif smiled. This was information he could always use later.

Regardless of his scheming, Iosif did want to learn more. He knew little of the Wolf, less of the Brotherhood and nothing of Rilana. These were men who could educate him. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped short. A commotion drew his attention away from the conversation and down toward the gangplank. The hackles on his neck rose instantly. He'd been near the quay too many times looking for, or more accurately, trying to avoid his useless father. Rows were not uncommon but he assumed they were not an everyday occurrence in Cereleann as they were in Sirionn.

"Lord Reeve General, sir," said Iosif, almost curtly, "Something is wrong near the gangplank, near where the ship is moored. I beg your leave to investigate."

Iosif hardly waited for an answer. He wasn't that kind of man. He turned abruptly and his curiosity drove him to find the source.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”