Aboard the Marsh Treader [Sam 26th, finished]

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

"Arrgh!!"
Aurael stumbled backwards and collapsed on the floor panting heavily. He clenched his burnt fingers and then quickly stuck his fingers in his mouth to stop the burning sensation which was pulsating through them.

"No wait!", the words came out muffled as his hand was still in his mouth and then he watched in horror as Jonathan fell too the floor.

"My wing's broken. I had no idea there was some sort of magical impulse in this mesh. I haven't come to the magic-shield level yet."

Aurael stood up and slwoly made his way over to Jonathan, " Maybe we should bandage that up so it dose'nt get any worse...". He tore a long pice of his shirt sleeve off and ,as gently as he could, wrapped it around Jonathan wing, "I don't have any knowledge of first aid but I figure that the makeshift bandaging should give the arm some sort of support".

He was still recovering from the shock of being shocked but Aurael was slowly getting out of his shakiness. He was though irritated by the fact that no one had bothered to ask if he was alright, "I suppose survival comes first". He stood up and listened carefully to what Ceana was saying, " We should check the other door first but with more caution from what I could see it was the pirates qaurters". He left the room quickly and made his way towards the other room.
Daithi Ar Avonford

Post by Daithi Ar Avonford »

Daithi once again found herself lost in the midst of a lot of excitement, while she pondered the nature of portals and the Aether, spurred on by Turi's excitement.

Ceana the barmaid was freed, and quickly joined in with the plans of exploring the ship.

"Did the pirates you saw look... undead?"

It was still a bit unreal.

When Jonathon refused to go search the ship, Daithi was glad. She'd gotten used to his comforting presence against her neck, though another part of her realised he'd probably be the best scout in the party. She'd probably need to talk to him about helping Ceana, though. They didn't really have time for rivalries at the moment.

The room with the candle was ominous. Pushing through the taller people in the group (ie - everyone else), Daithi made her way to the front, near the vibrating mesh. The noise was almost unbearable to her sensitive ears. She moved back again, examining the set up with the candle and the wood, thinking.

Just then, Aurael reached out to the mesh, and about that time, Jonathon launched off her shoulder too. Momentarily distracted, Daithi missed Aurael's reaction to the mesh. She did, however, see the dramatic conclusion to Jonathon's attempt on it. Involuntarily, she gasped at the sickening crash and rushed to the bird's side.

While Aurael was tending to him, Daithi noticed his hand. Before she could say anything, he'd stood up and was listening to Ceana. I guess he doesn't want anyone worrying about it... Picking Jonathon up gently, she cradled him in her arms as she stood up again.

"Do you think we could find some water, try to throw it through the mesh to the candle? At the very least, we may prevent the kindling from igniting if we wet it enough."
Ranhild Pheldroppe

Post by Ranhild Pheldroppe »

The odd lack of compassion that Aurael had noticed in Ceana was odd indeed. Since getting away from her prison, the girl hadn't ceased to massage her aching wrists and neck, and she had a sullen look in her face. There are artists that refuse to draw a man when they dislike his malicious looks - and a cruel line had appeared near the red-haired girl's jaw, as well as a vague, dim look in her eye. Her experience had changed Ceana. How exactly, though, one could not say at the moment.

"Maybe add a stick beneath the bandage to hold the wing right," was the only thing she said. She followed Aurael to the next room.

"Thank you, guys," Jonathan whispered feebly, helping the Achadhiel arrange the bandage on his wing with his beak. "It'll mend. I'm sure of it. Lots of people come to this ship, so maybe a Healer will turn up one day, or a sorcerer."

He chirped quietly and contededly as Daithi lifted him in his arms.

"I can sit on your shoulder again," he offered. "You'll have free hands, m'lady." A grin. "Good idea with the water. I'm afraid there's something oily and flammable all over the kindling -" His healthy wing pointed to the black streaks on the pile, "But if we succeed in putting out the candle, we'll be fine. I think."

"And you know..." he continued, obviously in good spirits. "From what I remember, there were no pirates on the ship. I can't say below-deck, I haven't been there, but there's no one onboard but the four of you."

Meanwhile, the next cabin proved to be empty. There were a few bunkbeds, but they hadn't been used for a long time, by the looks of it. A heavy trapdoor was set in the floor. Ceana pried it carefully open and looked inside, but all she could find was a small corridor, leading probably to the hold, where the goods, if any, were kept.

Post by Guest »

"Thank you, guys," Jonathan whispered feebly, helping the Achadhiel arrange the bandage on his wing with his beak. "It'll mend. I'm sure of it. Lots of people come to this ship, so maybe a Healer will turn up one day, or a sorcerer."

Aurael turned around and looked at Jonathan with bright smile, "No problem, thats what friends are for..right?". The comment was made to sound as if he was encouraging Jonathan, which he was, yet at the same time Aurael had added a hint of malice to it just to see what reaction he would get from Ceana. He knew something was off but he was'nt one to pry into someone's psyche and feelings, "Whatever's happened will come out eventually...I hope".

Aurael frequently looked down at his burnt and bruised hand. The pain was still throbbing and pulsating but he had to find a way to take his mind off of it, he been able to fight through it but it was becoming increasingly painful, the pain seemed un-natural. For brief period he closed his mind and began to try and block the pain out using the inner calm technique and it worked to some extent, the pain had dulled but was still there, "Well that's better than nothing".

"And you know..." he continued, obviously in good spirits. "From what I remember, there were no pirates on the ship. I can't say below-deck, I haven't been there, but there's no one onboard but the four of you."

Jonathan's comment had broken up his thoughts but they remained shattered in his mind so they could be put back together for later use, "Hold on! So you're saying that there is no one else aboard this ship as far as you know? But I remember when we came into the Aether the pirates were at the bow of the ship...anyway if what you say is true then we maybe be able to gain control of the ship...."

He looked at Ceana as if he was going to say something but he did'nt, "What's happened to her?!", The achadhiel cared for her as a friend but maybe as more than a friend but he was'nt quite sure. She'd been with him since the beginning of the journey and in a sense was his best friend.

To take his mind off of things he began to recite the poem that the sailor had shown him:

An ancient isle lays clothed in azure
Where all Man's forgotten breaks the seal
Filled with myth, a door of the unreal
By the Sun's path, Seventh of Tazlure

Yet this paradise seeks to lure
sanity from one's mind and to reel
all the nightmares one still can feel
Off to a dark void! There's no cure!

It is waiting for a hero grand
To tread on the stairway of old times
Shatter tales, crush ages, reprimand.

Many secrets may he discover
Hours of future, past and present - all kinds!
Yet the price - not to recover?

It still did'nt make any sense to him but he continued to recite it anyway.

He watched Ceana as she opened the trapdoor and peered inside. He approached, looked down into it and saw the corridor, "No point staying up here" he said to the rest of the group, "Let's go". He climbed down into the corridor and made his way to the door, he opened it ever so slightly and peered inside.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Turi seemed to freeze as various members of the party became injured. By the time she had overcome her shock, the others had the situation in hand and there was nothing to do but express her sympathies. She became far more subdued now that the danger posed by the ship had actually manifested, although not from the pirates she had expected.

Before they all left the strange room, she tapped Daithi on her unoccupied shoulder, stopping them both. "Nice idea, Dai. I'll head back up. Search for a bucket and rope and get some seawater," she volunteered. There was bound to be something of the kind on every ship. "Best not to leave any dangers behind us. I'll catch up with you later. But before I go..."

The young woman hesitated, unsure whether or not her next words would stress the precarious unity of the group any further.

"Will you two be careful around Ceanna? There's something wrong with the girl, I don't know if that's normally the way she behaves or if something bad happened to her."

She said the Captain tried to have his way with her. Something that tended to make a girl feel a bit fragile for a while. The book-keeper's lips twisted as she remembered the feeling. There was something else though. The way the barmaid was pressing at her neck and her hands. Perhaps they were merely sore, or numb, after her time cooped up inside the box, but if she was trying to massage the blood back into her muscles, surely she would have succeeded by now? Aurael had mentioned an old man who barely had a pulse... was there a link between what happened to him and what might be happening to Ceanna?

Turelie shared her concerns with the pair. "Do you know what happens to the people who come aboard this ship, Jonathan?" she asked the seagull, when she was done, and waited for his answer before she left on her mission. On her way, she heard the achadiel's voice declaiming some kind of verse.

Strange lad. But she hoped he'd be all right.
Last edited by Turi on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Ranhild Pheldroppe

OOC: Very nice post, Turi!

IC:

"Yes," Jonathan agreed. "That's funny - about the pirates, that is. I've never had the cour- er, I mean, I've never bothered to look below deck. They seldom come up. When you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen them aboard 'cept for some old man with a walking stick. If he was the same one. One can never recognize these seamen, they all look the same!" The gull ended in a puff and wiggled his beak. "As for people, Miss Turelie, I haven't seen much of them. A few times, they appeared here and then disappeared much in the same fashion. They never came back." Jonathan shrugged. "I don't want to scare you, though. And anything's possible with that girl." A shiver.

Ceana didn't appear to hear the edge in Aurael's remark, or else she ignored it. She continued to look miserable, and the only spark of interest that crossed her face was brought forth by the strange poem.

"Did you, by any chance, find out what it means?" she asked, positioning the knife between her teeth. She climbed down through the trapdoor after the Achadhiel, and, knife in her hand once again, looked around the corridor. The door creaked ajar under Aurael's gentle push. The pain in his hand had ebbed away entirely, though it was probably due to its nature rather than to any inner effort the young man exhibited.

The scene in front of his eyes was - well, breathtaking. Odd, too. The feeble greyish light seeped through a few small, circular rooms, feebly illuminating the inside of the ship's hold. Large boxes and crates were stacked throughout the room, creating a makeshift maze of small passages and spaces between them, which stretched out well back into the hold.

Ceana looked curiously at the scene, squinting in the dim light. She ran her hand over a nearby crate, resembling her former prison. It was taller than her by a few inches, and she tried to touch the top of it by standing on tiptoe.

"Aurael," she frowned, evidently surprised. "This crate doesn't have a top. It's open from above."

Meanwhile, ondeck

Turelie climbed aboard into the grey light of the timeless Aetherial day (or night?). The ship was deserted as far as she could see, floating gently on the iron-grey waters with an occasional creak of timber. She didn't have much trouble spotting a bucket and a coiled piece of rope. Both of the mentioned items were lying next to the railing, a dictionary definition of "unused". However, despite its rusty state, the bucket had no holes.

Suddenly, a tapping sound echoed from somewhere behind Turi. A wooden tap-tap-tap, like the end of a cane knocking on an empty barrel. She turned around and a newcomer came into view, hurrying over to her from the bow. It was an old man - fitting to the slight description Aurael had provided - with a silver beard wound around his neck like a shawl, and a turtle's head protruding from its folds. His right leg had been hacked off at the knee and replaced by an ornately carved wooden cane. It was this addition to his limbs that was making the tapping sound. He had a shrunken appearance, like someone whose skin had outgrown them, and he was very small.

"Wait, girl! How did you get here?" he cried, limping towards Turelie and waving his arms. He prolonged every syllable, so the words sounded more like, Wa-eet, girl, how deed - and so on. The old man didn't appear to have any weapons, though they could be hidden somewhere in the folds of his vest or wide breeches.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

:P It was designed to get Turi conveniently out of the way! But hurrah for rampant speculation.

Emerging from the hatch to the silence of the deck was a decidedly unsettling experience. Turelie found herself suddenly alone, drifting through the grey, with Jonathan's ominous words echoing in her ears.

They never came back...

She shivered, and headed straight for the bucket and rope as soon as she spotted them, her black skirts swishing around her and sturdy boots thunking steadily on the wooden planks. A quick inspection of the items found them fit for their purpose. She secured one end of the rope around the handle of the pail and was about to drop it overboard when she heard the sound behind her.

Tap-tap-tap.

The book-keeper spun around immediately, fingers tightening around the only items she had to defend herself with. A sharp jerk of the rope would bring the bucket whipping in front of her, thank the gods it was metal she'd brain any bastard who tried to take her by surprise again-

Well, maybe not this one. He was just a little bit too cute and tiny and she could probably outrun him if she needed to and why did he have a turtle sticking out of his beard?

"I could ask you the same thing, sir," Turi called back in reply as she examined the old man curiously. "I'm a dreamer, as far as I know. My name is Turi."

Hm. This was definitely Jonathan's old man. Was he the same as Aurael's? She wasn't about to check his wrists to find out.

"Can I help you with anything?"
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Daithi Ar Avonford

With Jonathon's suggestion in mind, Daithi carefully placed the bird on her shoulder, hopefully close enough to her neck that he could keep his balance even without the use of an injured wing.

Slightly disturbed that Ceana and Aurael seemed content to wander away from the room with the burning candle, Daithi had nonetheless thought it best the group stick together. Maybe they plan a quick search before coming back? However, when Turi informed her of her own plans, Daithi was torn. The candle seemed to be the most immediate threat, but who knew what else was waiting on the ship? There may be something even more dangerous than the candle down the trapdoor...

"Will you two be careful around Ceanna? There's something wrong with the girl, I don't know if that's normally the way she behaves or if something bad happened to her."

Daithi wasn't quite sure what Turi could mean, though she nodded assent anyway. I suppose being locked in a box doesn't make one a people-person. Pausing to cast a glance back at the pair disappearing down the trapdoor, and distracted by the strange verse of Aurael's, Daithi missed the end of Turi and Jonathon's conversation. She wondered whether it was safe to let the other two go wandering around on their own...

When she looked back, she realised she and Jonathon were now the only ones left in the room. Turi with her long legs had left while she was still distracted.

Making her decision, the halfling turned her back on the trapdoor and followed the book-keeper. Emerging on the deck, she was confronted with the scene of Turi, at the side of the ship, speaking to an old man with a wooden leg. Neither had noticed her yet. Heart pounding, Daithi started moving slowly, hoping to get behind the old man without him noticing. She may not have any weapons, but it was easier to bluff when the enemy couldn't see that for themselves. Turi didn't look scared, but this wasn't the kind of place you wanted to meet strangers alone and without a very pointy knife at hand.

Post by Guest »

"Did you, by any chance, find out what it means?"

Aurael had his theories but was not going to let anything on after all he wasn’t sure if he could trust this new Ceana, “No…I’m still working it out”. He entered the room and his mouth was partially hanging open, “What is this place?” He looked forward into the maze and wondered why everything had been arranged like this and why there were so many boxes and crates in the first place, “Maybe all pirates do this…” He began to look around the large boxes to see if there was anything inside that could be of use, he turned around to see Ceana running her hand over the top of one of the crates a look of confusion came over his face and so he left her to open more of the boxes. Before he left he heard her say something,

"This crate doesn't have a top. It's open from above."

He stopped what he was doing and turned around, “So…someone could be in there?” Grabbing several study boxes Aurael began to stack them up so he could see if anyone was inside.
Ranhild Pheldroppe

OOC: Whoops. Seems I don't get hints, LoL! :) And about the turtle head... I meant to say that the old man's head looked like a turtle's. :D

The small boxes whose top Aurael wrenched off were filled with very interesting things. Shiny, too. Cups and bowls, necklaces and rings, everything made of gold or at least a substance that greatly resembled it.

It didn't take Aurael long to stack up enough crates to have a peek inside the top-less box. He craned his neck over the sides and squinted inside, at first being unable to see anything in the gloom. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, though, he began to make out details. A human body was lying in the box, rigid and stiff. Its eyes were closed and its arms were crossed on its chest. It was placed on a very uncomfortable bed of jewels and gold coins. A few tattered pieces of parchment, documents probably, were stuffed amongst the treasure.

Ceana had meanwhile pulled up her own stack and pulled herself up to balance beside Aurael. "It's one of the pirates!" she whispered, eyes wide. "Dead, apparently."

Not precisely. As the two watched, they could make out the crossed arms bobbing gently up and down. The pirate beneath them was breathing.

And something else caught Aurael's attention. The pirate's legs were resting on a sack. A bag that looked rather familiar. It was the one the Achadhiel had cast away to save himself from drowning.

"A dreamer! Why, of course," the old man slapped his forehead dramatically. "I always forget about you. But quick, quick, we haven't got much time. Turi-lass, I assume you do want to make it out of here unscathed?"

He looked around the deck and spotted the open trapdoor. His brow creased with worry.

"The boy - what's-his-name... Aurael, that's it! He's down there?" A thin hand pointed towards the trapdoor. And even though Daithi was doing her best to move carefully and quietly, she didn't quite escape the wizened pirate's eye. The old man spun around and moved a few steps back, so he would have both the girl and the Halfling in front of him.

"Ha! Trying to sneak up?" A narrow-eyed look, and then a grin. He waved his hand. "Ah, I'm tired of this game. You have my word that I won't lay my hand on either of you, because we need to cooperate. We've got only so much time before the Marsh Treader starts to return to the Tether, and I want to make sure it turns up in one specific place."
Last edited by Ranhild Pheldroppe on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

“Woah gold!” Aurael’s eyes seemed to glow at the sight of all the gold in front of him and around him. If he managed to hoard all of this he’d never have to work again he would probably end up being one of the richest men in Tazlure…if he sold everything at the right price. Now his inner thief, that had been suppressed for so long, was resurfacing. His friends back in Dort knew that he could still and that he was your typical Robin Hood type character, steal from the rich and give to the poor, yet at the same time he also stole for himself.

“When Ceana came out of the bow she said she slashed some of the pirates…maybe that means they can die…or at least be knocked out”.

He continued to survey the room when he noticed that the pirate was resting his feet on one of Aurael’s bags, “Well… at least I have a change of clothes now and hopefully the map is in there”. He turned to Ceana and took here knife, “Wait here” he whispered as he climbed carefully over the top of the crate. He scaled down gingerly and landed with a quiet thump which sent several gold coins slithering across the treasure filled floor. He froze and for several burns didn’t move a muscle. He quietly cursed and swore in adhiel but then quickly said a quick prayer to the Pantheon of the Seven Isles in his head. He hoped the gods and goddesses were listening and would allow him to be able to kill the pirate, “The least they can do is keep him asleep” he said to himself.

He noticed the documents in the corner and was about to take a look at them when he remembered that the pirate would need to be out of his way if he was going to relax. Holding the knife carefully in his right hand he stealthily moved around to the pirates head, then getting the knife ready he prepared himself to clamp down on the pirates mouth and cut his throat
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Unscathed would be good," Turi nodded. Finally, some answers. She wasn't too concerned about the possibility of being scathed in this dream, as long as she knew how to avoid it.

"Yes, Aurael's down there, along with the girl, Ceanna, and ... Dai? Jonathan? I thought you were keeping an eye on the other two."

Seeing the look on the old man's face did not reassure her about Aurael and Ceanna's safety at all. As far as she could tell, the achadiel had a tendency to poke at things before thinking about it - which had got him bitten once and burned another. Who knew what trouble he might be getting into without the halfling's tempering influence?

It occurred to the young woman then that she had acted impetuously as well and that perhaps she should have asked Daithi if she wanted to come along. She'd simply assumed that she could accomplish the task more quickly and easily on her own, given the halfling's previous difficulties with climbing the ladder. Obviously her height wasn't that much of a handicap, and if the old man had posed any threat, she would have been glad for the backup. Fortunately, the small trader thought of such things.

"Not that I don't appreciate your coming along," she shot Daithi a quick nod and a thankful smile, before turning back to the old man. "I have no objections. But if we have the time I do have a lot of questions. Dai?"
Last edited by Turi on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daithi Ar Avonford

Abashed at being found out so easily, Daithi stopped where she was and blushed. It was embarrassing to fail at sneakiness, she decided.

She examined the man more carefully. He seemed like he meant it when he promised their safety. It was probably because he was too intent on getting his own way to really be interested in them, but still... it was better than ending up impaled on something pointy. Still wary, Daithi decided there wasn't anything she could really do about him, except keep an eye on the old man.

Daithi shrugged at Turi's question. "It would have been crowded. Besides, I think Jonathon needed some air." Quietly she prayed that Jonathon wouldn't object to being used as an excuse.

"Answers to questions would be good. Like, where exactly are you hoping this ship turns up in on the Tether? And how would you do it? Also, can we go put out that candle now?"
Last edited by Daithi Ar Avonford on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranhild Pheldroppe

The pirate gave a small start as Aurael landed with some noise, but didn't seem to wake up. He fluttered his eyelids slightly, as if having a bad dream, and then slept on, uttering a small groan. Sleepers are usually relaxed, but this one was keeping stiff. The muscles on his arms were tensed and strung, as if he didn't want to move even a fraction of an inch.

The blade glinted in Aurael's hand. Knives tend to be very melodramatic and glint whenever they have the chance.

"Wait!" hissed Ceana, kneeling on top of the crate, in the place where two sides met and formed a corner. The rough planks cut into her knees. She leaned against her hands for balance.

"Maybe we should just take him hostage or something. I'd like to know a bit more about this phantom ship."

Humph. Jonathan gave his version of a one-winged shrug. "That's the man I've seen," he croaked softly, right into Daithi's ear. "Doesn't seem much of a bad sort."

The old man grinned wildly, showing what was left of his teeth. His hand, healf-heartedly pointing to the trapdoor, swung around and fixed its finger firmly in Daithi's direction.

"Good, good," he said. "That's just what we have to find out. The thing is, I'm fairly certain the Marsh Treader can be steered, but I'm not sure how. Each dawn, right before the ship slips into the Aether, the captain closes himself in his cabin. In the evening, we turn up in a different place and he's never surprised by it. I think he must set the course using some instrument - maybe we could tamper with it. The girl - Ceana, did you say? - and Aurael wouldn't withstand another day on the boat, and nothing holds the captain from throwing me to the sharks as well."

He scratched his chin, coiling the long silver strands of his beard around his fingers.

"Ah. The candle," he sighed. "Miserable thing. Our only luck is that you haven't put it out yet." He eyed the bucket. "As long as it burns, the ship stays in the Aether. It's a kind of clock, really. Whoever invented it really has a bad sense of humour. It tips over, sooner or later, and the whole ship starts burning. Not your usual kind of fire, though. I cannot really describe it, but if you'll hang around for a few more burns, you'll see what I mean. I always fall asleep by the time the fire starts spreading, and when I wake out, we're sailing through the Tazlurian night."

A shrug. "I don't know what would happen if you had put it out, but I wouldn't fancy staying here for ever."
Last edited by Ranhild Pheldroppe on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Beads of sweat began to break out on Aurael’s forehead mostly due to tiredness. The last time he’d slept was back in the dungeon and that seemed like an eternity ago. He rubbed his eyes and shook the cobwebs out of his head and proceeded to cut the man’s throat when Ceana interrupted him,

"Maybe we should just take him hostage or something. I'd like to know a bit more about this phantom ship."

“We don’t need him!” Aurael hissed back with irritation, “We have the old man…he probably knows just as much about this blasted ship!” The anger inside of Aurael was ever growing, he resented the fact that he’d gone looking for adventure in the first place and he was angry that the old sailor back at the tavern had given him the map and the task to find the island; to Aurael there probably was no prize at the end of it all and possibly no island.

He looked down at the sailor and the metallic red tint in his eyes was more apparent and in some way gave him the look of one who’d lost their mind. Aurael’s friends had always said he was slightly mad and maybe the strangely colored eyes were a result of this who knows? But for now the only thing that mattered was killing the pirate in front of him, he knelt down, readied the knife over the pirate and prepared to cut his throat.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

So they had mere burns before Aurael and Ceanna would be left to the mercy of the pirates once more. Turelie’s mouth set itself into a firm line. With little time to waste, she did not concern herself with what may or may not have happened had they put the candle out, seeking instead the information which would enable them to resolve their more immediate problems.

“We’d best move quickly then.” She looked directly at the old man as she spoke. “We’ll need to know where the Captain’s cabin is and if you know how, the best way to get into it. I think we’ll want Aurael and Ceanna with us as well, if we’re to confront him.” There was ample evidence that he did not take kindly to stowaways on board the Marsh Treader, and whatever he’d done to Ceanna, Turelie did not want him to try doing to her or Daithi. “Will you also need us to find the piece of paper which will make the ship and its crew disappear?” The crew seemed to have disappeared already, but Turi had a feeling that they’d show up again.

The next problem would be how to get rid of the Captain if he could not be killed. Throw him overboard? Immobilise him somehow? But without any other sources of information, would it be safe to take out the only person currently on board who knew how to steer the ship safely? They’d guessed on their own that, like a portal, the Marsh Treader could transport them through the Aether to another point in the Tether. They’d also guessed that the candle gave them a time limit on how long they could spend in the dream-realm. Perhaps together the party would be able to work out how the steering mechanism of the ship worked – but then, no-one had realised that meddling with the candle-room could have had such disastrous consequences.

“Is there anything more you can tell us about dealing with the Captain? If we offer him something he wants, can he be reasoned with? Is that how you’ve managed to keep yourself alive all this time?” Turi asked. She tried to keep the suspicion out of her voice as she raised a last issue. “If you don’t mind my asking sir, I’d like to know who you are and where you want this ship to be taken. Aurael told us your heart still beats. That implies you’re not bound by the curse to this ship like the rest of the crew. Why haven’t you tried to find a way off before now? I’m sure there have been other dreamers who could have helped you.”

Perhaps it wasn’t vital to know what the old man’s motives were, but if any disagreement arose over deciding where the ship ought to materialise, it would help to know if he could be trusted. The achadiel and his companion would certainly find it important. Briefly, Turi wondered what they were doing in the room beyond the crew’s quarters. Perhaps there was something down there which would help them up here.

Daithi Ar Avonford

OOC: Sorry guys, been a bit busy here. Go ahead if you want, I'll be a couple more days before I write something for Daithi.
Ranhild Pheldroppe

Ceana sighed and shook her head as Aurael's knife dug into the soft skin under the pirate's chin. It slid through with ease, only a faint crack echoing as it hit the spine. The miserable creature on the bed of gold had barely enough time to flutter its eyelids in one last movement and then he fell dead.

Aurael withdrew his knife.

"What now?" the girl asked. She was pale. "I still think you didn't have to kill him. But no, you men go screaming and waving sharp things about, and ask questions later. What if, by now, something's happened to your old man?"

She jumped down into the crate and picked up Aurael's backpack. "I'd guess we'd better take this, eh?" A quick glance around. "And some of the gold too."

Deep down in the hold, the candle spluttered and flickered, wax dripping down onto the stacked firewood.

"Always asking, always asking," the wizened man grumbled. He waved a hand in the direction of the bow. "The captain's cabin is over there. He's inside, but he's in his sleepy-state and won't bother us. They never wake up when we're here. The cabin's open, since no one would dare to enter it on their own anyway."

He eyed Turelie thoughtfully. "Well-informed, lassie, well informed you are." One of his hands slid behind his rough shirt and produced a tightly rolled cylinder of yellow material that could either be parchment or paper. "This is the pirates' curse. When it's read aloud, they will be saved and their ghost ship will disappear. However, they have not yet found a man that could read - they picked me up when my boat sank and asked me - rather painfully - to read it. But I can't. So they left me here. Why not, after all." He shrugged.

"And that's all I'm willing to tell you," he ended rather abruptly. "Where I want this ship materialized is my own thing, but don't worry, I won't be taking the two out of this area. I'd like to go home, that's what."

He took two strides towards the captain's cabin. "He haven't got enough time!" he called over his shoulder. "We better figure this out, or we'll materialize gods-know-where. Just holler down at the two of them if they're coming along."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Turi shrugged at Daithi.

"Aurael, Ceanna, get up here!" she called down the hatch. "We've found your old man and he wants us to help him steer the ship! Hurry, we've only got burns before we move back into the Tether and the pirates wake up!"

Post by Guest »

“Calm down the old man’s probably doing fine he’s been able to stay with the pirates this long why would something suddenly happen to him?”

He took his bag from her and slung it over back, it felt good to at least have some of his possessions back and in a small way provided him with a glimmer of home. As Ceana had asked he put some of the gold into the bag and also he made sure to gather up any of the documents which were visible for he came to the conclusion that they may be useful to him in the future. He realized at that moment that the old Ceana was still there; he smiled and climbed out of the crate.

He made his way back to where they were before and heard Turi shouting about the old man and steering the ship. He climbed onto the deck and saw that the old man was there with the rest of the group, before making his way over he stopped for he was suddenly breathing heavily and sweating, “Woah!! Why am I so tired?” He wiped the sweat off his face and caught his breath back as best he could and then made his way over to the others, “You said something about steering the ship, what’s the plan?”
Ranhild Pheldroppe

"It looks like you did a big job here," Ceana puffed as she dragged herself through the trapdoor and her eyes fell onto Turelie, Daithi and the old man. She smiled, and the gesture seemed genuine enough. "I can't wait to get away from this bloody ship."

"Good morning - evening, Aurael-lad," said the old man. "My, there is a lot of you! Well, what are we waiting for. Let's get inside."

He limped to the bow, clack-clacking on the wooden boards with his wooden foot. The party followed him and soon all of them were standing in the captain's cabin. They all squeezed in, Jonathan clamping his beak shut for the moment, and crowded around the central table.

The cabin was very small, but not cozy. The grey Aether light slipped in through various cracks in the walls and the once-glassed window was broken. A few ordinary tools lay on the table top, compasses for example, amidst a few yellowed maps of the Seven Isles. The picture was completed by a miniature wooden paper-weight in the shape of the Marsh Treader, which was placed onto one of the maps to keep it from slipping down from the table.

The captain of the ship was lying asleep in the corner of the cabin or a narrow bed. He was curled up tightly, arms pressed over his chest, and breathing very lightly.

"Aurael, maybe you should get over there and cut his throat as well," hissed Ceana, motioning towards the sleeping pirate. Cramp bared his teeth and waved his hand. "Keep quiet!" he whispered and turned to the table.

"What now?" he said lightly, brow creased with worry. He had stood here a good many times before, but had never been able to think of the next step.

Deep below them, the candle tipped over, fell to the floor and ignited the wood around. Flames jumped into life, dancing and spreading over the floor. The liquid - oil - which had been sprayed all over the wooden boards, helped them immensely.
Last edited by Ranhild Pheldroppe on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

He ignored Ceana's comments and was slightly tempted to cut the pirate Captain's throat but he was slwoly getting more and more angry and irritable due him being tired, "Grrr I might cut her throat if she's not careful".

Aurael watched as Cramp stood, unsure of what to do. The only things that caught his attention were the maps, especially the one with the miniature ship on it. He gently pushed past the others so he could get to the map and looked at it,

“This may sound weird…but since everything here seems to be all magic-like maybe the ship is steered through this thing”, he whispered. He turned the miniature ship around back towards the direction of Dort gently so if the ship was steered it was a sharp turning
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranhild Pheldroppe

OOC: I'll post a quick reply, because Aurael's action might affect Turi or Daithi's choice of what to do.

Ceana gripped the table, her knuckles white, in anticipation of a lurch that would upset the whole ship. However, nothing happened. A few more tedious moments passed before the tension loosened.

"Nice idea, but that's not it," croaked Jonathan feebly.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: thanks Ranhilde. i got exams coming up guys so the next post i make will probably be the last. sorry.

"Of course not." Turi rolled her eyes with a sigh. "That would be far too obvious wouldn't it?" (She wasn't mocking Aurael, just expressing her frustration at ships and odd dreams and everything related to them.)

"I think we should figure out where we started and where we are now, and where the ship is headed to. Oh, and where would you like to take the ship? I can find the bearings, if need be." She examined the maps more closely for any markings that might indicate their intended location. Having some familiarity with charts and navigation helped - she could easily recognise the outlines of most of the major islands, and would notice if there was anything... extra.

"Did you find anything down in the crew's cabins that might help us, Aurael?" she continued, sorting through the other items on the table. A compass. Now that was curious. No call for a sextant where there were no stars, and no call for a compass where there was no north... a closer look at the instrument might yield some additional ideas.

"The only other place I can think of searching for clues about how this ships works... would be on him." She glanced over at the pirate captain nervously, then around at the others standing in the cabin.
Last edited by Turi on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranhild Pheldroppe

OOC: Time to finish the thread! (Aurael, please post once more)

"Take it somewhere here," said Cramp, pointing to a point on the western coast of Islay. That's where I want to go. I haven't set my foot on land for ages!"

"Easy to say, 'take me there'," croaked Jonathan. "You have no idea how to make it happen!"

Turi examined closely the maps and materials heaped on the table. However, she wasn't lucky. The naval signs were correct but they didn't say a word about the marsh Treader's journey, and the captain's log didn't exist. There was a black leather book cover that could have been the log once, but now it contained only ripped remains of paper, with nothing written on them.

The compass wasn't working. The needle sprung backwards and forwards indecisively, never lingering in one place for longer than a split flicker. No, the instrument was of no use here. The captain most probably used it for navigation during the night, when he was in the Tether.

In a whispered but ferocious argument, it was agreed that the captain should be searched. Cramp pushed Aurael forwards, hissing into his ear to "make it quick". However, just in that moment a strange, soft sensation began to overtake the Aether walkers.

"What's going on?" Ceana asked lazily, yawning and pulling up her eyelids with her fingers to keep herself from falling asleep. Turelie almost fell over, suddenly drowsy.

A scent of smoke reached their nostrils. And the sound of wood crackling and burning.

"Damn it," growled Cramp, blinking his eyes to keep them from shutting. "The ship is burning. We'll fall asleep in just a few flickers!"

Return to “Erulzat Archives”