Eye to the heavens -(Late MT)

Moderator: Mods

Eye to the heavens -(Late MT)

Post by Guest »

(Late MT)

Culwago had left the village and now made his way towards the northern mountains, he loved exploring. Finding things that were out of the norm, Ursa had few suprises for him now, he wanted to get to Pans as soon as possible to continue his exploring but for now....for now he would explore the only area he had not totally seen. The mountains, tall and foreboding, the walls of Ursa. He had not managed to see every hidden area here, he knew soon he would be descending to the Isle proper and he wanted to know Ursa first, he wanted to finish exploring his training island. So he was prepared to spend a large section of the day exploring, then he would visit the Shaman later, he was too busy at present.

So he would begin to climb and head towards places he had never been before, head towards places he suspsected to be more interesting that the normality that seemed to hang in the air of Ursa Etheria.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Petran and Catherine moved off into the woods. Petran was already on the trail of the young Culwago, his trail still being but burns old. Catherine felt her Inner Animal roar at the opportunity to hunt something down.

"Grab it, rip it, tear it asunder."

Red blotches flashed before her vision as she followed the large cat into the woodlands of Gnilwoh. The pace was easy as they moved from the village through the outskirts into the low brush, but as they entered the darker parts of the forest and headed north their tread increased and Petran started to make good time on the chase.

At one point, half a mark or so later they stopped at an intersection of several animal trails. Petran sniffed and then turned to his pupil. "The trail is getting fainter, Culwago is making good use of his time. Try to find out where he went, I will follow you from now on."

"The game is on, see how she handles this one..."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Post by Guest »

So the hunter becomes the hunted, Culwago did not know his mentor Petran Shadowbreath was persuing him. The Kanthrop who shared his form, his ideals and his vocation. He would have enjoyed the challenge, and the Kanthrop that chased him was perhaps his greatest rival. They were alike in some ways, he had watched her from afar sometimes. he felt a dim attraction for her, for her solitary nature that recalled his, for her desire like him to see the outside but he never approached her.

Now Culwago moved as quickly as he could knowing these paths easily, he also naturally avoided detection, he moved across water easily when it was shallow as he hated deep water with a passion, he also made sure to cross other animal tracks, he left very little tracks due to his speed and this would confuse any hunter further. He would normally have gone slower, explored and done all sorts of exploration. He had a goal however, he wanted to explore the northern mountains of Ursa, it was the one place that had not been searched in a thorough manner. Who knew what he would find, power to make him a legend of the Kanthrop, something to help him in Pans Isle or something to aid him. He moved as quickly as his piston like legs would move him, ever ascending as he came closer to reach his goal unaware that some were following him.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Petran looked to Catherine to see what she might do, several burns it took. Doubt was clearly visible in her eyes for those moments. "Don't try to think too much Cat, follow your instincts. You are Kanthrop, listen to your inner self and go with it, each flicker wasted is a flicker lost on the trail of the prey." Petran was never much for patience. In his form he had quickly sniffed out the right trail and pointed Catherine to it.

"See how those twigs and leaves are bent? See how the path is different in texture, now that human feet have trodden it down? Come, let's continue the chase."

And with that they were off again, rushing north, following the kit Culwago to the edge of the forest.

Culwago in the meantime was rushing himself for no apparent reason. There was nothing chasing him, but the thrill of exploration and yahren of training made it impossible to be relaxed about leaving obvious trails. Petran had trained him since he was four yahren old, and like every kit under the Kanthan's care, he had been trained well. His Inner Animal roared, feeling free in the running against the wind, climbing up to glare out Culwago's eyes, feel with Culwago's skin. The panther inside wanted a piece of the action.

Suddenly, there was a noise to his left.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Culwago seemed to move before the noise came, his body spinning round as he crouched low, his feet anchored himself onto the ground and he tried to draw his bow and draw it back with an arrow quickly, he wanted to be ready for whatever the noise was. If it was merely a deer or a member of the animal kingdom that had no intrest in mauling or eating him he wound releax. If however it had sinister purpose then he would quickly loose an arrow at it. Of course if he was unsure or unable to see his foe then he would stay crouched with the arrow ready.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

A tremor shot through the soil, shaking the trees and stirring up the wildlife around Culwago as he crouched down. The sound he had heard had been unnatural, even through the bustle of activity around him now, though nothing seemed willing to come forward and show himself. As Culwago sat, waiting to discover what had made the sound, it came again. It sounded like a grinding, as if two heavy stones moved on top of each other.

The sound was as sudden and as short as the first time, and beyond that nothing more than forest sounds could be heard around. A brook was probably nearby as the sound of water penetrated the woods now that Culwago had his senses working at maximum intensity. Behind him, along the path he had walked he heard something approach.

Post by Guest »

Some sort of mechanism Culwago presumed, he had seen little but he knew stones moving against each other could produce effects like fire. Or they could grind, perhaps it was some sort of mill? or a big fire making machine? Culwago was curious and began to move forwards towards the noise but the footsteps stilled him. Unable to resists his curiosity he moved in the direction of the noise hoping to steal a glance at it before turning in the direction of the footsteps, staying hidden of course. So he tried to remain hidden with his bow drawn at the path waiting for whatever was coming to appear.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Moving in the direction of the noise, CUlwago came upon a small clearing, more a meadow in the forest. Tall oak and chestnut trees encompassed the small circle, a small brook making it's way through the middle of it without a care in Tazlure about the young Kanthrop walking around. Grass covered the forest floor here, some flowers in blues and yellows grew here still, even though the season for them was almost out.

Along one edge, Culwago could make out a crevice, a gap in the soil. As if the island had cracked and left an opening in the middle. The sound of the approach had left Culwago's hearing as he sat down to turn his attention back to the path behind him.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk..."

The sound of a voice sounded right above Culwago. "Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. You should know better than letting yourself get distracted by one sound while you're trying to keep track of another Culwago." Above the kit's head, lingering cozy on a large branch of a mighty oak, lay Petran. As he spoke, Catherine appeared from the far edge of the meadow, near the crevice, holding two large stones.

"You're lucky it was us this time and not something more sinister, or you might have lost your life before it even began."

Post by Guest »

Culwago looked rather put out with his hunting mentor and felt as though he had been tricked. Though he held a secret admiration for the plan. He looked up at his mentor standing and meeting his gaze defiant, "You need the extra help, I heard you coming easily, had I been less inquisitive you would be in trouble yourself." He had spotted the crevice and the nice little glade and wanted to spend a few hours exploring it and lounging by the stream. He had no desire to have these two milling about. he glanced at Catherine only mildly interested in her.

Culwago shook his head and replaced his bow and arrow, "On this momentous day you have nothing better to do than to follow me and disturb my naptime, well you have had your fun and shown me how useless I am at being a hunter, so now you can go back to the village, I need to have a few marks rest before I go back down." He glared at Petran and moved to the other side of the path, he moved away from what he wanted to explore purposefully, he cricled a few times before curling up in a ball and looking up at Petran waiting for him to depart. It was |Culwago's way to be less than pleased to gain company suddenly and he felt angry his importsnt exploration had been interrupted. He hated interruptions.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Petran's gaze turned like the leaves on a tree in autumn. As Culwago moved, the large panther jumped in front of the young Kanthrop, barring his movement in that direction. A fierce growl was released from the jaws of the beast, the eyes of the Kanthan burning with rage.

"Don't you EVER, have the nerve to speak to me in that tone again. EVER! Do you hear me you insolent magpie?!" Petran moved towards Culwago, his jaws open, baring his white fangs to the morning sky.

"In all my yahren I have never tolerated such disrespectfull behaviour, and I will have no trouble gutting you where you stand and feasting on your flesh right NOW! Do you hear me kit?!!!"

He let out another fierce growl at Culwago, there was nothing fake about the rage behind it. Catherine was standing in the back, amazed at the scene playing out before her. Their Kanthan was one of the most respected hunters in their tribe. He was also not too well known for his upbeat personality. In fact, everyone knew making Petran Shadowbreath mad would have him show you exactly where he got his surname.

"You would do best to take your precious time and think about your behaviour magpie. When next I see you when the festival horns are blown you had better changed it to show some respect for your elders, or you may not make it to your trials."

And with that he was off, turning away from Culwago and moving to Catherine. He did not speak as he passed her, but she followed in his wake nonetheless. Able to tell that this would not be a good time to give him more reasons to anger him, she kept silent aswell for now.
Last edited by Brytan on Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Culwago's irritable nature had made Petran angry at him but the young kit knew that it would pass soon enough, more importantly they had left him alone. Really Petran should well have known that Culwago had a similar temprement to him, he answered Culwago's irritation with anger of his own. They were not so different. He would change of course when he got back to the village, he would apologise in his own way, and sit on the edges of the society again. But for now there were more pressing matters, namely the exploration.

As soon as Petran and Catherine had been gone for a few minutes Culwago bounded over excitedly to the clearing, he collected a few flowers at first just in case he would need them later for his herbalism but more important was the crevice, with anticipation Culwago bounded over to that and eagely looked about, staring down into it, he hoped there would be something interesting. Too often exploration was just dissapointing, a wild goose chase.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The clearing was calm after the other Kanthrops had left. Culwago crossed it on his way to the crevice, gathering some local herbs and flowers common to the area. He didn't really know their names or what to do with them, but there were people in the village, Jamyn or Lor, they always came up with the best potions and salves.

Walking upto the crevice made Culwago even more aware of the constant tremors now residing deep within the earth. He could see pieces of dirt and small rocks tumbling down over the edge and into the depths below as the ground shivered as if cold.
Gazing into the crevice he could see a few meters down. It looked...like a crevice. A hole in the ground, maybe not fifty centimeters wide but fairly deep. Darkness covering most of the content of it, due to the overhanging foliage and the depth of the crevice itself. It would appear on first glance to be nothing particularly interesting, just a rather elongated hole in the ground.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Due to circumstances this thread is now closed. Culwago will no longer be playing, his character will however continue to exist as an NPC on Ursa Etheria.

Catherine; feel free to start a fresh thread when you're back and ready to rejoin us.

Should anyone have any questions regarding these events, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”