Soldiers Meal (Samheen 26th Gravetide)

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Soldiers Meal (Samheen 26th Gravetide)

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was a fine tent hat morning. Now, it was covered in ashes and dirty. Even the tabard of the pair before the King's tent were ashen. Still the paladins stood proudly, even though their armors did not gleam this time. A thin sliver of light escaped from the tent flaps. Sounds of conversation could be heard coming from the inside. All around it the ground was clear, and strangely very few campfires were lit. Burning the forest might prove a bad move. No firewood and no grass for the horses to graze.

The King did not lack supplies. A rather large fired was lit in the center of the tent. Inside it was warm, quite the change from the cold evening without. Several Captains were already present as well as few paladins. The King was in attendance dressed in pristine white tabard. He was the only one that managed to keep the soot out of his clothes. Tables were set and pitchers with various drinks were on one of them. The others waited for the dinner to start and food to be brought. For now only eating utensils were there.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Michel Carbonneau
Commander of the Kings Court Army

Post by Michel Carbonneau »

When Michel had gotten back to camp he had quickly refreshed himself before going to the tent of the King. Quite a lot had happened since the morning and he was curious to find out the results of his strategy. Unfortunately they had been unable to rescue the young boy, but at least there had been no casualties in his troops. No casualties...as much as he liked that sound, it didn't feel right. It felt too easy. Had they made progress? Or hadn't they even put a dent in the defenses of the nether.

He felt slightly nervous as he walked into the tent, looking around at first to see who was present. He really wanted to talk to brother John about the demon, but first he walked up to the King and greeted him as a captain was supposed to. "My King, you have sent for me?"
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe. We've come to be the rulers of you all.

Avatar by permission of Amok. [url]http://amok-koma.ru/[/url] ~ eyepatch made by Ulder, with permission of Amok.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It took a few flickers for the King to notice Michel. A smile graced the monarchs face as he beheld the Captain. "Oh, Captain Carbonneau. Do come in. And relax. This is no formal occasion. Just a little dinner so we can get to know each other better. Come in. Get yourself a drink." Motioning towards the table where the drinks were arrayed, the King waited for the Pax Honestus Captain to enter fully.

A tall, grey haired and balding man next to King whispered something into Balthasar's ear and the King nodded. "Excellent plan, Captain. The fire made it easier to find our way. Though the ashes are a bother. Sadly, there have been a few casualties. One of your own men I hear. A pity really. Were it not that we were here doing the work of Dominicus, some might say it was a bad omen. But, you and I know that he watches over us."

Brother John was there. Standing to the side, he was the only one without a glass in his hand. Dressed in the traditional leather armor of the Legion Purificatio, the man seemed uninterested in those gathered there. He was tired, but there was also a hint of boredom on the man's face. Something else as well. Disgust? His frown was barely noticeable, but it was there.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"Every loss of life is regrettable", Theodred chimed in from his seat close to the King. "But sometimes it's unavoidable, if we want our cause to prevail", he raised his glass and bowed his head. "For Dominicus!", he exclaimed. "And for his living avatar who will lead us to victory!"
Michel Carbonneau

Michel took a special interest in the frown on brother John's face. Was he possibly feeling the same as Michel? The captain had been feeling strange around the King. Somehow the actions of the Avatar seemed...what was the best word...false. Of course this was just a fealing at the moment, there was no real proof. Yes, it was imperative that he spoke to brother John tonight. He needed to learn all he could about the demon. He had to be prepared.

As the King greeted him, the captain smiled back. "Yes, a very tragic loss. Fortunately my other men responded very well and prevented any more casualties. I am confident he is walking with Dominicus now." Michel grabbed a glass and poured himself a drink. The ashes were a pain indeed, although Michel thought that they made a perfect scene for war. Perhaps it would even keep the men in the right mood, although there would probably soon be enough action for that. When he had gotten his drink, Michel would start to walk towards brother John.

When the paladin who sat close to the King raised his glass, Michel followed his example. "For Dominicus!" He exclaimed as he continued to walk towards brother John. As he came close, he nodded as a greeting. "Brother John. I had hoped we would have a chance to talk about the encounter with the demon earlier today. Do you have a moment?"
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe. We've come to be the rulers of you all.

Avatar by permission of Amok. [url]http://amok-koma.ru/[/url] ~ eyepatch made by Ulder, with permission of Amok.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

A toast echoed from all the throats. Wind carried it out and into the night. Over the camp of pitiful soldiers. Ash covered soldiers. Soldiers shivering in the cold. Soldiers lacking wood for a fire. Yet, in the tent all was well. The commanders were pleased with the progress. They managed to advance quite a lot that day. The road seemed cleared for tomorrow's journey too. It would be over soon.

Brother John did join the other in the cheer. His face was unchanged. There was still that hint of disgust. A smile greeted Michel as he approached. A weak one, but a smile nonetheless. "Of course, Captain. You had something specific in mind or just wanted to chat a bit? Because, to be honest I am not in the best of moods right now. The ashes and the march, while done in His name, were taxing." All he said was true, but there was a faint hint of more being left unsaid.
Michel Carbonneau

Michel followed the moves and expressions of the man in every detail. He knew brother John wasn't telling him the whole story, but that would come later..when he had had a chance to convince the man of his intentions.

"Ah yes, it was all very taxing. I truly hope we have done the right thing. And although I too am not in the best of moods, I am afraid we do not have the luxury of having this talk at a later time. I wanted to talk to you about the encounter with the demon." He paused for a flicker, giving time to let the words sink in. "This morning I was quite unprepared for the encounter." Quickly his gaze went to the King and back. "I do not think I was the only one unprepared. Personally, I don't want to give it that advantage again. If there is any information you can give me that will aid me in the battles to come, I would like you to give me that information now."

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Excuse me a flicker, Captain." John strode to the table and poured himself a cup of red wine, before returning to his old spot. Taking a sip, the man swirled the wine in his mouth for a while before swallowing with a sour wince. "Ah, that's better. I do not drink, but the blasted ashes taste awful. Now, where were we? Ah, yes. The demons. Or rather the demoness." Tapping his chin with a finger, John fell into deep thought letting the time drag for almost a burn.

"Well, you see it is not that simple. To fight a Netheric incursion we usually use a combination of magick and conventional arms. In essence a priest or Inquisitor binds the demon's attention with its prayers, while warriors try to destroy it's body. It does not, however end there. After the host body is destroyed then the priest attempt to banish the demonic spirit back to the Nether where it belongs." This was said like a sermon. Like a text taught and memorized.

"I have never fought a demon before. Nothing this powerful. Yet, what we saw this day was not the demoness herself, but some sort of magickal trick. She might in fact be fairly easy to banish. Provided there is no Netheric Rift close-by. That would prove to be a problem." Again a weak smile. "But, as I said, I speak only what I was taught. I have yet to encounter a Netheric creature for real. I wish I could be of more help. Sadly, most of my work was in relocation and reeducation of pagans."
Michel Carbonneau

Michel grinned as he saw the priest drink from the cup. The bitter taste of ashes was in his mouth as well. He didn't care, he actually cherished the ashes. It reminded him of the coldness of war. It protected him from becoming too optimistic about the message of light they were delivering. His look turned serious as the priest started to talk about the demon, only to let him wait for another burn before truly answering his question.

The captain nodded as he heard the man recite his speech. A shiver ran up his spine. Magic..he hated magic..for him it was too tacit. Sword and armor, now that he could touch. Tactics, also something he could imagine in his mind. Magic...it just felt too unnatural for him. Almost ready to say that he and the priest would make a good team, he was surprised by what he heard next.

He resisted bursting out in laughter. No Netheric encounter yet...great...just great
"A Netheric Rift...mmm...I wouldn't be surprised if there is one closeby. So, tell me brother John, what is our best chance against the demon you think?"

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Best chance. Heh. I would say it is the Paladins. They should be able to contain it long enough for me or someone else to finish the ritual. Of course, provided there is no rift. Rift would prove difficult. We would need to split our efforts and close the rift first. You see, from what I was taught, as long as the rift is open the demon gets stronger." The priest shrugged. "Such is the will of Dominicus, captain. I am certain that should there be a need for a battle he will help us prevail. If not, we will join him in heaven. As they say, for the light." A smile spread across the man's face.

A man entered the tent and bowed to the King. Balthasar merely nodded and clapped his hands together. "Gentlemen, if you would be so kind to take your seats. Dinner will be served." The King himself made his way to the head of the table, while the various Commanders slowly filed after him moving to take various seats around the table. Others finished their drinks in quiet and prepared to join them. All in all, about twenty or so men were in the tent at the moment.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

As the dinner progressed, Theodred addressed the king.

"My liege", he bowed, "I have a proposition. Since this....demon we're fighting is the creature of deepest darkness, I suggest we fight it with light. If you allow, I'd like to take a small crack force of paladins tomorrow as a spearhead of our attack. Surely, we stand greater chance against demon's minions, the spawn of chaos.", his face contorted of a moment, but the young paladin quickly recomposed. "That is, unless you have other plans for me. i wouldn't dream of going against your will", he bowed again, awaiting for the answer.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The food was abundant. Perhaps a bit too abundant considering the circumstances. People ate and enjoyed themselves. The ashes and winds and burned trees outside were forgotten for a few burns. Light conversation was at it's peak. Fine drinks and fine food were something soldiers did not enjoy too often. Even Brother John relaxed a bit. The man did take his seat next to Michel. The priest drank a bit too much. Mayhaps it was his dry throat. Mayhaps it was something else. No matter the reason, glass after glass of Roque red was emptied. The man still had his with about him, but his voice began to slur just a bit.

Theodred's voice had the impact of a thunder. All conversation stopped as people gazed at the monarch and his faithful paladin both. The King took his time chewing the mouthful before he replied. A wave of the fork. "That plan has some merits. Or rather that idea has. Tell me how you would proceed? Stealth or direct attack? How many men would you need? What supplies? Let us say I am interested. But, I won't send you without a carefully wrought plan." The King took another mouthful of his plate and returned the gaze towards the Paladin. Waiting. Smiling.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"Well", Theodred scratched behind his right ear, "I was thinking maybe 20 paladins, on foot, equipped with hand weapons only, goin about five miles in advance of the rest of the army. Supplies for several hour's march. In that way, we would be able to avoid larger corpses of enemy, infiltrate his lines and attack in order to weaken the points obviously influenced by evil magic. And the main body of the army would be relatively close to join us when necessary."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The King listened intently. Silence fell over the room when Theodred ended the expose of his plan. All the eyes were upon the King as his judgment will decide whether the plan would become a reality. Balthasar took his time. It was not an easy decision to make. A wrong choice could lead twenty men, twenty paladins to their deaths. "It sounds like it might be done. Stealth might enable you to more easily reach the heart of the army. Perhaps you could slip unnoticed once the battle begins."

Pausing to ponder it a bit more the King seemed to have come to a decision. "Alright. I'll allow it. But, you are to take only volunteers and at least one priest. I do not doubt your training, but you will need some help if you are to have any chance against a major demon. Make a list of supplies and take it to the quartermaster. Prepare your unit and meet me here at dawn. We shall leave two marks after you depart and move towards the Taquar capitol city of Taloh. If my sources are correct we should be there by nightfall. You shall have full command. I can offer no advice in this."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “T'aquar Archive”