Dream Guy: the ride with the king

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The King's only response to Dalendara's tease was a slight nudge of heels to the sides of his horse. Urging the mount forward at a little quicker pace, he still kept it sedate enough to avoid endangering the girls. For they were just that. No real lady among them. Yet. Some of these show potential. Some might even be worthy of a Queen. Of course he did not voice such notions. Of course, he did not let his gaze wander to the royal bride candidates.

Fialessa's question brought a response of another kind. Turning in the saddle, the King faced the petite Panling and grinned. "An excellent question, Fialessa. You don't mind me calling you that. Milady seems so formal." Pausing to see if he had her approval, the King pressed on. "As you may have noticed, neither my cousin or me are in dire need of money. So this is not a real bet. More of a dare. While I do like my cousin, he has a tendency to get on my nerves from time to time. His constant flirtations and adventurous loves are okay, as long as he does not rub it in. The fact that he likes to rub it in is the problem here. You might say I win either way. If he is unable to marry I prove my point. If he does marry...." A shrug and a mischievous grin was all he gave them. They could finish the sentence.

"Some might call it cheating. Others call it diplomacy. And I can assure you that I never spoke to the Count. He is still asleep. Last night apparently was taxing on him. You ladies it seems managed to tire his out." This could be taken in a number of ways. The fact that it was Balthasar's intent to make it so, only served to point out how much he knew Guy. Once more the King managed not to let his gaze wander over the ladies as he thought of which ones amongst them did the tiring out.

Jolanda brought up an interesting point. "Sadly, Jolanda, I can not. That is one of the rules of our little game. I can not directly interfere." A quick gaze towards the house in the back and then he leaned closer and whispered, although all the girls could hear him. "Though it is tempting I must say, that WOULD be cheating." He was not above cheating. He was just above admitting it in public. "Besides, it is Guy whom the winner shall marry. But, let us entertain the thought for a flicker. Tell me ladies, whom among you do you think most suitable to marry Guy de Reve. Tell me this and I might just respond in kind, naming the one I find most suitable to my cousin's needs."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

"He's still in bed?" Becca feigned amazement. "Then he must have a brother! I could've sworn the poor man came down to breakfast." She hmmed consideringly. "He did look like he'd need a barrel of coffee though..."

Becca looked at the King for a moment, as though trying to work out why he was asking, before shrugging. "Not me. Just... Not me. Milady with the flowers seems a touch too nice and sweet for the Count, and Miss... Jolanda, was it?" There wasn't anything she could put her finger on as a good reason to prevent Jolanda from marrying the Count - aside from the fact that she was a lying, airheaded git. But of course, that wasn't what you said when you were in a position to be thrown off a large, moving thing. "Somehow, I can't picture them getting on well at all." Glancing around as though just remembering that the women in question were there. "No offense intended, I assure you, but he asked for opinions." The girl tilted her head to one side. "One of the others, I think, if you're going to be kind to him," Her voice lowered to a whisper for the Balthazar's ears only: "And Jolanda or myself if he really has. irritated you."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra paused. "Which of us?" she thought a long moment, tapping her leg as she pondered the question. I don't know enough about the others to make a good descion. She agonized. The horse beneath her snorted, as if to emphasize her private thought. Jolanda? Too... well she's just doesn't seem like someone the Count would marry. She didn't know Jolanda personally but from her short interactions- the woman had ice cold, written all over her. All the others? She'd no idea. She'd never really talked to them, or anything.

She licked her lips. The young woman only smiled when Balthasar mention that the Count was sleeping. I'm sure he is. "I do think he came down to breakfast," she comments when she hears Beeca. She raises an eyebrow as Becca comments on her. "You think so? Do I really seem to nice for the Count?" she asks the group in general, though she wasn't expecting an answer, she threw the question out there anyway to humor the group.

She quietly let her eyes wander from woman to woman, trying to decided how to respond to the King's latest quiries. "I honestly, don't know. " she replied after she considered the looks of the other women, though that prooved nothing. "Since I've not really spoken with anyone... I can't say who's the best choice. " She pets the horse, trying to get comfortable in the saddle.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

"If he does marry...."

Jolanda looked towards the count as he left the sentence hanging, "Then he ought to temper his womanizing some what?" she was not sure if that was what the king was thinking, "Is milord an optimist?" she then teased, for she thought it would take a lot more than a wedding contract to quell the count's ways.

"Oh!" she pouted prettily as Balthazar declined her suggested conspiracy, though her eyes retained mischievous hopes. He was only saying it because of the others listening, she was certain... How shall I get him alone? That was her challenge, unfortunately it looked to be a very difficult one.

"Not get along?!" Jolanda protested to Becca's assumption, "Well that is where you are wrong! In fact he got so grumpy at me last evening that I am certain he adores me completely!” Sound logic. “And such tales he told, trying to evoke my devotion."

She laughed as Delanedra earnestly abstained from choosing any of the ladies, "But my dear, you at least know if he might choose yourself as best pick!"

"Well then, I must say then that I am the very best choice for the Count to make. I am sorry ladies, but it is true. He deserves, indeed needs, someone to frustrate him... and I believe I qualify in that remarkably! Why instead of grand tales of his womanizing escapades, Balthasar, you would hear him lamenting loudly an impossible wife. Oh but he shall adore every moment of it of course. If he wants an adventure of a marriage, then he would be a fool not to select me."
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

Ilaria rolled her eyes, and turned her gaze to the heavens, muttering a silent prayer to the Goddess to give the strength to continue on with these silly games. She didn't see the purpose of them, except to maybe cause some dissent among the group. "I, on the other had, don't think that any one of us particularly stands out as the "most" suitible. I think that all of us have qualities which would probably be highly compatible with the Count, and other ones that would make it seem as if the Count was receiving some kind of lifetime of punshiment by being stuck with us. I know that while I love the outdoors and adventuring, I can be the most stubborn, pigheaded, unladylike person there is." Ilaria gave a small shrug. It was the truth, no matter who liked it or not.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna rode uncomfortably, trying to find the trick of moving in time with the beast's strides so that it didn't rattle her teeth with every step. Balthasar's conversation wasn't making her feel terribly comfortable either. It was obvious that he was trying to stir up dissent amongst them - why else would he be asking them their opinions of each other? - and she didn't like that one bit.

Another thing she didn't like (aside from the dratted animal she was sitting on) was the knowledge that she would need to say something sooner or later. Holding herself out of this conversation was not going to be a good move. Then again, joining this conversation probably wasn't a good move either. Since I'm likely to be damned either way... She listened to the other women give their answers, chuckling at Jolanda's comment about being perfect for frustrating the Count.

It was the Trothgardian woman who gave the most interesting response, however. Brionna turned to look at Ilaria, clutched at the saddlehorn to keep from overbalancing, and gave the woman a quick smile. Nodding in agreement, she turned to Balthasar and replied, "The other question is how much any of us really know about him... If I'm to say whether or not I or anyone else is a match for someone, it's usually because I know enough about both parties to make that judgement. I'll second Delanedra in saying that I don't know much about most of the women here, but I think we can probably say much the same thing about our dear host." She flashed him a grin and added, "Aside from the fact that he's your cousin, has buckets of money, and a lovely house and grounds, and that's not a lot to go on, if you'll pardon me saying so."

It was an answer without really being an answer, but she hoped that she wouldn't be pressed further. Between her decision to take the Count's side in this contest and her confusion over Jolanda's behaviour, she preferred to be left to simply observe and think for now.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

Fialessa merely nodded to the king's question as to how to refer to her. She heard out his response as they all rode along, strangely she found the horseback riding comfortable enough. By some measure she could see his point. Hadn't she herself made the suggestion that 'the count' had scaled many a lady's balcony. Jolanda fairly well voiced what she was thinking though she did not see entirely the point of him tempering his womanizing. Fia guessed he would in time when he found what it was he was truly searching for, and if it was with one of them or not so be it. As he mentioned that 'Guy' was still asleep and yet it was argued that he was at breakfast , perhaps he was quite so tired still that he returned to his bed...

As to his question of which of them was most suitable, that bore some thought. Fia contemplated the other's answers, Becca's that Delanedra was too sweet, perhaps she was at that. And that Jolanda and Becca herself were the type to irritate the man... her lips quirked into an amused smile. It was a statement revealed correct when the flower festooned young woman laid the question out for the others as to her niceness. It took everything she could not to nod at the query. In truth, yes Delanedra you are too sweet and nice and perhaps that might stand you in good stead, but how well can you stand the idea that our dear Count might be unfaithful as many a man is. But by the same token what of those of us who might lack that sweetness... Though it was apparent the achadhiel wished to avoid the question from the king entirely. She was not surprised in the slightest when Jolanda returned with herself as her own choice. Though she imagined the trappings of wealth had more to do with it than the man himself...

Strangely it was Ilaria that came to the conclusion that most seemed like her own. Brionna followed the thought along. And now it was only she who hadn't answered though in truth only Becca and Jolanda named anyone specifically. “Not one of us can truly say that we know each other well, who is to say that one of us isn't cunning enough to have the others fooled into believing what she wants of them... And yet as Brionna, you have mentioned that we do not know the Count well at all either. I don't know that I can say anything specifically about who might be the most suitable. Perhaps as it was said before, any one of us might be for our various unique qualities. And those too might be the things that might make us each unsuitable... I could sit here and tout myself as the most suitable, but I don't know that I am. To be sure I can be forgiving of certain faults and have many of my own. But the argument could be made easily if perhaps a wee bit differently for each of us.”
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Oh, he did? Well, his butler told me that the Count was still in bed as the last night was too taxing for him." A wink was all Becca got. The King heard her. He liked the idea. Unfortunately, he truly could not interfere. Or rather he did not want to. There was a bit of honor left in his Majesty. He had to bite his lip when Jolanda gave her comments. It was just soooo tempting to add a jibe of his own. Yet, he managed. Barely.

Ilaria just added to the fun. This will be most fun. Oh, my dear Guy, you are doomed. Pity I can't choose for you. In the end, it got diplomatic. Which was refreshing. He was a Westerner and ladies in the West were supposed to live to certain expectations. This was.... a rather nice change. "I must say you ladies continue to surprise me. Pleasantly, if I may add. Some very valid arguments were presented. Almost make me wish it were I who was to marry one of you. Sadly, I am not at liberty to do such a thing. Still, a person, even a King can have his dreams of happiness."

Flashing a smile that was shadowed by the reflection of light from the crystal in his crown, he raised a foot to hook it rest in on the saddle. "Now, you said you knew not my cousin. Well, perhaps I could help. Ask away my ladies and I shall strive to give you your answers. What would you like to know about the Count?" So far the day was pleasant. A slight breeze picked up, cooling the skin of both riders and their steeds. A slight scent of wild flowers filled the air, as the ride brought them across a rolling meadow. Sun peeked over the tips of hills in the distant east, as a shrill call of an eagle in the skies pierced the air.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra sighs as the breeze danced and swirled through the group. She caught the smile the king had given, though she felt that would only be a tiny window into what the King was thinking. "I'd like to know..." she leaned back in the saddle to reposition herself, and feel less like she was falling off. Is this saddle slipping sideways? she thought and leaned a little to test the strength. She didn't weigh much, but she was almost sure the saddle was sliding to the side.

She dismissed the notion. "I actually love to know, what kind of music the Count enjoys, and what kind of food?" she said surveying the surroundings. She smiled widely at the scent of the wildflowers, Flowers? Were is his Majesty taking us? A picnic perhaps? She caught her breath at the sight of the meadow. "Oh how lovely!" she said nearly leaning to the side, and nearly off the horse. She let the wind blow through her hair. "Well I guess I'd also like to know likes to read as well."
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Her eyes narrowed as Balthazar bit his lip from reply, You would disagree would you? But Jolanda was no stranger to being disagreed with, so simply smiled smugly secure in her own knowledge that she was correct. And as the others went on to reply, none said anything to make her think differently. Though it was largely because the King had said that the winner didn't actually have to marry him that she thought such - she was less than certain that Guy was a grand prize.

As he offered to tell them more about the Count, Jolanda cast a wink to Brionna, "But Balthazar, are do you mean to tease us so! Why we shall have many more candlemarks with the Count to discover his nature, but I can feel the marks we might have with you slipping away rather too quickly. Pray, might I ask something of your nature milord? I should truly wish to know your thoughts upon justice and it's penalty... do you advocate measure for measure?"
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Ilaria let her eyes close for a moment, enjoying the warm sun on her face and the scent of the wildflowers wafting over her. It had been an enjoyable ride so far, which isn't exactly what she had expected. She perked up a little bit as the King spoke. Ilaria figured that people would ask standard, basic questions, so Ilaria decided to try to be creative. "Well, I don't know if you can answer this, but I'll ask anyway. What's one thing that the Count doesn't like about himself, and why hasn't he tried to change it?" Ilaria paused for a flicker or two before setting her gaze upon the King. "And, since Jolanda feels that we should learn about you, I pose the same question to you. What's one thing that you don't like about yourself and why haven't you tried to change it?"
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca winced delicately as Jolanda rambled on with herself, biting her lip and tilting her face away so that she wouldn't see her rolling her eyes. The other women were nice, sense-making people, so why couldn't Jolanda be?

'Because it'd be boring if she was. And let's face it, under ordinary circumstances you LOVE hanging around egotistical gits, if only because they make such easy targets!' It was such a shame she had to behave. It'd save her poor, bitten lip, at least.

"No no, you don't get off that easy." Becca raised an eyebrow at Balthazar, resisting the temptation to poke him. Riding a horse, remember, Becs. Leaning over is not a good idea. "We named names," Or got away with not naming names as the case may be. "so you have to do the same. It's only fair." She smiled at him crookedly. "And yes, I know you're all noble and diplomatic and all that, so you don't actually know how to answer a straight question, but you could try."

There was no real reason why she was insisting, except perhaps for the possibility of winding Jolanda up, and the fact that she approved of fair exchange: they were honest with him, or at least pleasantly neutral, so he had to be honest with them.

"Miss flowers?" Becca asked, glancing over to Delanedra. "I can tell you what he reads. Or at least what he's got in his library. Books about the navy - tactics and combat and history, that kind of thing - and about..." She looked to sky, lips shaping words soundlessly, picturing the library in her mind. "Politics. Explore-y books... About Amun Rah and Islay, as I recall." She looked over again, smiling slightly. "He had some trashy novels I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, soppy drivel that it is, but that's all I remember seeing last night."

"Hm... Something about the Count..." The girl sat bolt upright, something from the previous evening flashing through her mind. "Did he really kidnap a clan leader's daughter? I know he said he did, but did he really? Oh, what was her name?" Becca closed her eyes and turned her face away for a moment. "... Maeve? Maeve something? But yes, her."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Fialessa agreed with Becca, “Oh indeed it is only fair!” She laughed brightly. “Perhaps you wish now not to tell us of your thoughts on who was most suitable...” She made sure to keep herself steady on the horse, remembering to keep herself relaxed.

She couldn't help but laugh again at Becca's remark on trashy novels being soppy drivel... ”You mean to say he actually reads them? Or doubtless some of the parade of women that traipse through here might leave them behind...”

For her part she did not wish to ask the king anything about himself as Jolanda wanted. He was not, supposedly, their purpose for being there. Her guess was that Jolanda went where the money was. Too she was not too sure she wanted to ask anything herself. She was not too certain what she wanted to know, and indeed would it not be better to find some of the little mysteries about the 'count' in one's own time. Provided of course one had more time. And so she kept further comments to herself and listened to what else would be said, no use piling on questions one on top the other. Perhaps something would pick itself out to be commented on shortly.

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna's eyes widened at Becca's comments on the contents of the manor's library. Smothering a giggle behind her hand, she shook her head in disbelief. "Our dear Count's such an enigma, I can't decide whether the 'soppy drivel' is likely to be something he'd read or not! Sometimes he seemed for too cultured and refined for something like that, but sometimes..." She let the sentence trail off, and turned eyes that sparkled with amusement upon the King.

"Perhaps that is something you could tell us?" she asked. "Is your cousin known for having a liking for soppy romance books?" She considered this for a flicker, then added, "Or soppy romances, for that matter? From some of the stories we've heard, he sounds rather more direct than that."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Dalendara was quite right. This was to be a picnic, but the spot where the food and drinks awaited was still a bit off. Those with truly sharp vision could perhaps see a beautiful red and white checkered cloth and a pair of servants that stood nearby. But, for most it was still to far away to be anything more than a blurry off color dot in the distance. A hint of something else in the sea of emerald green grass. A hint of the roast meat could almost be smelled on the gentle breeze that cause the knee high grass to sway almost like waves upon water.

The King laughed. "Soppy drivel indeed. Unfortunately I can not help much with his reading habits." With a mischievous grin he admitted at last. "Our encounters did not include calm evenings in the library. We were too busy with... ah, other pursuits. So, I truly can not help you with that. But, if this fine lady examined his library I am inclined to believe her. I can say that 'romance novels' might be just the thing the Count reads. After all, one must know his enemy. Or prey. Depends how you put it." Once more he grinned as they came closer and closer to the picnic spot. "A wise man once told me that every book holds a bit of wisdom and that you only need to look hard enough. I guess the same goes for the soppy romance novels. As for the kinds of romances Count prefers, that would be cheating. Let us just say that he likes ladies. As long as he considers them pretty... Or, cute as he puts it, the lady stands a good chance of receiving his attention."

It was then that they came into a small valley that obscured the picnic spot from view. Turning to Ilaria the King tried to keep tabs on the conversation. It was getting increasingly hard to answer to all six of them and not leave one or two out. He did his best. "I am not sure about the Count, but I can hazard an educated guess. As you have probably noticed the Count leads quite an adventurous life. I think he wants to settle down eventually. As to why he has not done it yet, well I guess he is enjoying it too much still." Pausing to gather breath the King smiled. "I on the other hand would like more freedom. My life is a lot like slavery. Sure, I have many luxuries, but I always have to do what is expected of the King. Yet, I persist. Why? Well, who else. I AM the KIng after all. And people need me. So, I push on. And will continue to do so for quite some time I suspect."

Finally he turned back to Jolanda and Becca. Lady Maeve was mentioned by one of them, yet he was not certain which. So he rode on and tried to provide an answer without looking at either. "I have heard only rumors of that famous Lady Maeve escapade. You see, the Count can be quite discreet when it comes to ladies. In that he is a perfect gentleman, because the gentleman never tells. But, knowing his I would say that such an exploit was not beyond him. He likes a challenge and that girl WAS quite a one." He managed to remember it was Becca who asked the question so in the end his eyes were upon her. One more and he was safe, at least till the new wave of queries. "As for my stance on justice I feel that sometimes we need to do wrong things in order to set things right. If we are certain we are serving the justice than whatever we do in her name is just and proper and can not be judged in turn." Laughing he shook his head sending his hair to cascade down his back. "I know, I know. It sounds so confusing and vague. But, it is so."

As they crested the hill, the picnic spot came into view once more this time no more than fifty paces away. "Ah, here we are. I think you won't mind resting a bit and grabbing some refreshments. I thought we might use this fine day to sit in the sun a bit. Riding is fun, but can be quite tiresome." The pair of servants that awaited them was dressed impecably in long black coats and black pants. Only their shirts were white. Each held a tray with various drinks, while bits of food were scattered on various trays. There were jam sandwiches, various canapes, small bits of cake and even some cookies.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra noded. "A picnic then?" she says excitedly. She doesn't leave the spot, not yet continuing to listen to what the King is saying. "The Count reads romance novels? That's good." she says. Perhaps I'll write him one, once I marry him. She muses silently. She listened to the others speak, and receive answers from the King. This was all so interesting. " The Count likes romance novels, the King wants more freedom, and we all want to be the Count's bride..." she smiles. "Say why don't we all write a short story about a romance and give it to Count? Since he enjoys reading romance novel so much?"
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna listened with interest to Balthasar's replies. He was doing a very good job of making every one of their host's actions and motives seem suspect, and making it all sound so plausible. At the same time, he was deftly making himself an object worthy of sympathy and admiration. Why? she wondered. What will he gain? Unless he hopes that he can turn some of the ladies away from Guy? That would suit him right down to the ground!

As they reached an area set with the makings of a very elaborate picnic, she grinned at Delanedra. "An interesting idea," she mused, eyes dancing. "I'll admit that I don't have much experience myself with either reading about romance or being involved in it, but I can't help but feel that this competition itself could provide the makings for a rather entertaining story... Let's see... A rakish, adventurous young man is backed into a corner by someone who wield's far more power than he does. To satisfy his honour, he's forced to hold a country retreat for a host of lovely young women and... entertain them as best he can." She chuckled. "It has promise!"

Looking at the ground was something she had been avoiding doing during the ride, but faced with the prospect of getting down it became necessary. Pulling a face, she muttered, "To the Nether with dignity!" Clutching the saddle with both hands, she heaved one leg backwards and over the horse, resulting in a somewhat ungainly roll off her steed. At least the grip on the saddle prevented her from landing unceremoniously on the grass, but that was the move's only saving grace.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

He still avoided the initial question, the very one he had offered them. Fialessa shrugged, she wasn't about to bring it up again. There was likely a reason why he didn't want to name the lady he found suited to his cousin – if indeed he really was his cousin.

It was in her nature to be a good listener and to hear out the information over asking ceaseless questions. She had been happy enough to leave that to the other girls while she took in this her first real horse ride. Finding it relaxing in mix with the various voices of the other ladies and the king. Still and all she was pleased enough to find the ride ending in a pleasant picnic... If it was to remain so remained to be seen, luckily Neit had already left.

She wasn't so certain of Delanedra's idea. It was perhaps a bit on par with likening oneself to a fish. Not that she hadn't her own bits of creativity, but she was no bard. “One has to wonder at how some would put the ending to that story...” She noted lightly. Following Brionna's lead Fialessa dismounted her own horse after they had come upon the picnic ground. The Panling would not say it looked exactly decadent, more comfortable like. My but the king wanted them at their ease.

Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

The fewer and fewer ladies there were, the more difficult it was for Jolanda to ignore Delandra's common manners. She isn’t even trying! Jolanda rolled her eyes - quite determined not to let it be so apparent to others that her own roots were as common as muck.

"Yes, why don't you do that." she encouraged the ridiculous notion that Delanda write the count a love story. Doesn't she know that love stories are written for women? "Myself, would prefer to spend my time otherwise..." her eyebrow rose, "Why don't you write your little story tonight?" it would suit her very well to have the imp locked away in her bedroom. With a bit of luck, it would take a couple of days for her to write the story.

Yet despite it all, there was a picnic to be had. Though who on earth a king would want to eat outside, when there was a perfectly good banquet hall at the mansion, Jolanda could not fathom. I shall never picnic. She decided in a huff, when I am filthy rich.

She tried to act pleased, it was not convincing.

Managing to get down from her horse, she moved near Brionna as they approached the daintily laid out food. Really, it didn't seem so bad now she ws up close - not that she had changed her mind about picnics though.

"Wine?" she looked for refreshment, giving a sigh for how unproductive the ride with the king had been. She had failed to learn anything useful, nor did she feel she had influenced Balthazar in any way. He was so very vague in his answers, likely he was a great politician.

This grump that had descended upon Jolanda could be restrained no longer - impulsive she spoke seemingly out of the blue, "I do not agree with your concept upon punishment Balthy, and if we are truly not standing on formality today, than I have freedom to tell you so. If a crime has been committed, how can another crime remedy that fact. I feel it would be far more apt that crime merits a punishment in its own ilk - so that an example is set that one would be proud to hold ones name to. Would you allow your name be associated with a crime of retaliation?"

Her entire premise was shattered from hearing of the conflicting story the Count had told Becca. Right now Jolanda simply didn't care any more... so it was that the girl from the grimy outskirts of the Citadel told off a King.
Last edited by Jolanda on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Ilaria listened to the King's answers with only half an ear. She figured that he would be one of those people who would give an answer without ever really giving an answer. "Oh, you make a fantastic politician, Balthasar," Ilaria said with a laugh as she jumped off of her horse while trying not to break her foot. She figured that when it came time to get off of the horse, she should go all or none.

Surveying the group, Ilaria decided to stay next to her horse, rather than go straight for the picnic. She listened to Delanedra's idea with mild interest. Storytelling was something that she was good at, although she didn't have many romance stories to tell. "Well, Delanedra, that would be a fantastic idea, except I can't write," she said with a shrug. "It's not something that was absolutely necessary to know where I came from. All of my stories are up here," she said, giving a light tap to her head. Out of the corner of her eye, Ilaria noticed Jolanda's growing irritation. She wondered what caused Jolanda's irritation, and then figured that in a situation like this, it could have been any number of things.

Veritas vos liberabit

Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

"I don't know if he reads them or not - all I know is that he's got them, and I feel sorry for him if he's been putting up with the sort of women who adore them." The girl managed not to pull a face, but it was a close thing.

"Damn. I was hoping you'd know more about it." She sighed, looking slightly disappointed, then ran her mind back over the conversation and came to an unsurprising conconlusion.

"Did you notice?" Becca asked no one in particular. "He did it again." She gave the king A Look. "Are you always like this or did they teach it to you specially for us? Because quite frankly that's rude and cheating - and considering I'm the expert on both of those, I should know - which men such as yourself should be above." She grinned at him crookedly. "At least when it comes to ladies who're going to be making your cousin's life hell for you." Really, if he wasn't going to tell them, he shouldn't have offered, but that was men for you.

Becca went very, very quiet as the picnic spot came into view - she was looking forwards to it, and it would probably be as wonderful as everything else in that house, but there was one very, very simple problem.

"Anyone know how to get off these things without looking down?" The ginger haired girl asked, offering a sheepish - and slightly scared - smile to those around her, then turning white and snapping her eyes shut as Brionna half-rolled off her horse. She couldn't decide whether it was the move itself that disturbed her, or the fact that to watch it she'd have to look at how far from the ground Brionna had swung, or just the fact that if Brionna's grip slipped... It was grass. She'd be fine. Stop trying to panic yourself! "Remind me later, someone, that I should walk back and leave you all to enjoy yourselves."

'Must not kill whoever suggested horse riding. Must not kill whoever suggested horse riding. Must not kill whoever suggested horse riding...'
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna started to smile at Jolanda as the woman dismounted and moved over to her, but it was increasingly obvious that her friend was in a bad mood. Something about the set of her shoulders, perhaps, or the tension along her jawline. This was borne out almost immediately as she launched into the King on his views of crime and punishment.

The young jeweller's eyes widened a little at the daring of this. Would he guess that they knew more about his involvement in the competition than they were supposed to? What would he do if he guessed? She chewed her lip thoughtfully as she waited to see his reaction.

As she waited, it occurred to her that Jolanda's words had distracted everyone from Becca's request for help. Glancing around, she saw her still in the saddle and gave her a sympathetic smile. Taking a couple of steps towards her, so as not to interfere with the conversation between Jolanda and Balthasar, she said, "It's not that hard - a lot easier than getting up in the first place, anyway. Just get a good grip here." She indicated the place at the front of the saddle where she had steadied herself. "Then take most of your weight on your hands and swing your left leg over to this side."

She was beside the horse now, ready to offer a stabilising hand if Becca should overbalance. Conversationally, she added, "I've no idea if this the right way to get off a horse, but it seemed to work for me."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The King smiled as he saw Brionna move to Becca's side. At least she seemed friendly enough to help the other girl with dismounting. Had she not offered he would have been at the ginger haired girl's side and helped her dismount. As it was he simply slid out of his own saddle with a practiced ease of a skilled horseman. Joining the ladies, he picked a sandwich and nibbled upon it for a bit, seemingly deeply in thought. Finally turning to Jolanda he chose to answer her question first.

"I do agree with you. To an extent, at least. But, let us look at this from a different angle. What would be a suitable punishment for a murderer? Or a rapist? Or a thief? Do we not need to be excessively cruel, so as to deter the future crime? If we simply fine a thief for that single theft we caught him at, what assurances we have that he will not commit such a crime again? It can be safely assumed that a thief committed many acts of such nature in the past. If we simply recompense the damaged parties from his own pocket, what is to guaranty us that such an amount is more than a fraction of his total illicit gains." In truth this was quite an interesting question for the King and one he debated often with his advisors. "Now, if for instance we do something gruesome, like remove the thief's hand after he is caught, he will be unable to commit his crime again. Sure, it is quite dreadful and barbaric, but it will have a desired effect. If we simply fine him for his crime, he will probably go back to his illicit activities soon enough." Pausing a flicker to allow the ideas to sink in, the King pushed onwards. "Now, you might debate that imprisonment might be a fitting punishment. Well, let us look at it this way. There is always a chance of escape and even if it does not happen, the government has to pay the gaolers and to feed the prisoners. It is a drain upon the resources. Now, I do truly feel that a punishment needs to be memorable and needs to serve as a deterrent from future transgressions. So, I am not against retaliatory punishment, as long as it is not overly cruel."

Finally turning to Becca he grinned. "And, no, Miss Becca, I did not forget my promise. I will name the one I find most suitable for my cousin, but I am delaying that decision. You would not deny me the right to spend a bit more time with you and get to know you all a bit better before I decide? Count had the opportunity to converse with you all, perhaps I am entitled to such an opportunity myself?" His eyebrows arched as he awaited a response.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Dismounting as well, Delanedra heard the King's debate... "Perhap instead of removing the theif's hands we could give them another type of job that would keep them from stealing..." she says in a sage like fashion." In my village, and my expereince, people steal because they cannot fead themselves- and it starts as children so why not teach skills that can be used, instead just punishing people left and right, Your-" she clears her throat. "Balthasar." she corrects quickly.

She smiled at her abilty to come up with such a simple answer to a perplexing problem. "Fine the theif and then teach him, or give him a job to do elsewhere to keep him occupied." she summaries. "But I don't suppose it would work in every sistuation." she looks to Jolanda and Becca.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

"What they do in some backwash village doesn't interest me." Jolanda replied rudely to Delanedra, "I don't see how your theory can apply to rapists or murderers - do you mean to suggest granting them access to beds and bloodshed freely would avoid their doing so without the victims consent? What a childish notion."

Jolanda's peeve with the situation continued, "It may have been interesting to hear the Count's theory on this subject however, I dare say he did not support the view of removing offending appendages." She gave a harsh laugh - a laugh that echoed into the Tether threatening to rouse her from the dream.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”