Gathering Light against the Dark - SH 28th - Public

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Gathering Light against the Dark - SH 28th - Public

Post by Ulder »

For the better part of three days he had been dead to the whole of the Citadel. At one point he had been content to let that stand and let the world go on thinking he had perished in the terrible riots after they had raided the “Basilisk Stare”. After all, that had been his plan from the very beginning. He had wanted everyone to think him dead and gone so he could infiltrate the underground networks of the city and find out not only who had killed Anochrim, but also to find out where the inhabitants of “the Stare” had scattered to. It was a cunning and dangerous plan, but it had all changed in the beat of a heart.

She had stepped into the rat hole and nefarious den of the “Divale” and… something had taken her. His heart had clenched when he saw her walk in, and it had been unbelievably difficult to lie to Consul LoRusso about barely knowing of her and not spilling the open wound of his heart before her to let her know how much it hurt not to run over to Elaine and sweep her into his arms. Perhaps he should have. Perhaps if he had, she might be here now, and not in the …things clutches. Wracked with guilt that he had not done so, he retreated to his little hidey-hole under the pier to map out the only task that mattered to him, to rescue her.

Whatever it was wanted her and specifically her. Ulder could only assume as much for the power she wielded and her connection to the Mother. It was this connection that he was relying on to keep her alive until he could find and destroy it. Whatever it was, there would be no negotiation. There only give and take he had in his mind that would be acceptable was that he would take Elaine away from it, and he would give it death, and send it back to whatever horrid pit that had spawned it.

There had been another creature of darkness down there in the smoky room of the “Divale”. He had encountered it personally, and it had relieved him of his senses long enough to distract him away from her. These two creatures had to be working in concert with one another and Ulder knew that there would ultimately be two creatures to destroy. Tactically, he knew that two of these creatures presented a huge problem for both Elaine and the people of Citadel, as well as their safety.

It made no sense to him to try to keep up his charade of being dead. That little gambit had turned to ash the flicker that the thing showed itself in the bowels of that seedy establishment and taken her. Now there was only one mission that he had before him. Only one thing truly mattered. He needed to get her back. There was no future for him without her.

Two creatures of darkness and Nether needed to be destroyed. Ulder used a practical and pragmatic sort of mindset in tactically assessing the situation. There was no way he set off with sword in hand to end these things and there was no way he could do it alone. He knew he needed help, but determining what kind of help and how much was critical. This was no “Kin of the Sea” or “Basilisk Stare” to be raided with a few men and reliant on the reputation and awe of purple uniforms to do what needed to be done. These creatures would not cower in fear or scatter when those much heralded uniforms came around the corner. They would not whimper and cry when the Guard came knocking.

He needed all of the strength and skill that once wore those uniforms. He needed the Purple Guard along with whatever force that would fight this battle as well. He needed all of the men he could muster as fast and as efficiently as they could be mustered. He needed an army.

He did not have the coin to pay anyone. He didn’t have anything to repay their service save the honor and duty of ridding the Citadel of their threat.

There was only glory to pay them with. It was the only currency he could offer.

He dressed himself in an old Guard uniform, now nothing more than a symbolic relic. He buckled on his swordbelt and slung his quiver over one shoulder and his shield over the other. Long bow in hand, he walked towards the Citadel. It was once his bastion against the forces of darkness, once a shining symbol to him; it had once been the only home he ever wanted. Now it was an empty place full of memories and shadows, shades of a life turned to ash and smoke.

In the Outer Ring, he disguised himself with his old grey cloak with the black hood, trying to make himself anonymous among the many citizens. In the Inner rings he still remained hidden, a mere pilgrim walking the streets, indistinguishable from hundred if not thousands of others. Disguise came easy now; he had been living it non-stop for the past three days. It was almost second nature.

As he walked down the wide streets that led to the main entrance of the Tower of Citadel, he threw off his old cloak and stood at the main gates. White tabards manned the walls, but he did not seek entrance quite yet. Now was the time to announce his resurrection. Now was the time for the ghost of Captain Ulderon Synkaaros to become corporeal again. He set down his bow carefully along with his quiver of arrows. He readied his shield on his right arm and drew his sword, certain now that eyes would be upon him. He beat the flat of the blade against the shield, letting the steel ring against one another.

“PEOPLE OF THE CITADEL! IT IS I, CAPTAIN ULDER OF THE ONCE MIGHTY PURPLE GUARD! I HAVE COME TO KILL THE DEMONS IN THIS FAIR CITY! I HAVE COME TO ASK YOU TO JOIN WITH ME IN TAKING YOUR STREETS BACK!"

"THERE WAS ONCE GLORY AND HONOR IN THIS CITY. THERE WAS ONCE HOPE FOR A BRIGHT AND PEACEFUL FUTURE. THE CAESAR IS DEAD, BUT YOUR STRENGTH IS NOT!"

"SEND FOR THE GUARDSMEN IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS! CALL FORTH THOSE WHO WOULD FIGHT TO REGAIN THE GLORIES OF THE PAST! RING THE BELLS AND SOUND THE DRUMS! LET US TAKE BACK WHAT HAS BEEN STRIPPED AND STOLEN FROM US!"

"LET US FIGHT TO BANISH THE DARKNESS AND PAIN! LET US WAR UPON THOSE WHO WOULD DIMINISH OUR FUTURE! LET US DESTROY THOSE WHO WOULD DESTROY OUR CHILDREN!"

"LET US KILL THOSE THAT WOULD KILL US!"

"TAKE BACK WHAT’S BEEN STOLEN! TAKE BACK YOUR STREETS!"

TAKE BACK YOUR CITY!"
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Ashari had wandered from one day to the next rather aimlessly. Iorn had been taken by a demon; he'd given himself up to stop a demon from taking her. It's a romance worth writing of... The dark haired beauty gathered her black cloak up around her tightly. She'd been staying at Crane's estate and had been using it as her home base of operations for reopening the Red Rose Guild - a guild that would once again be renowned and feared for the beautiful and dangerous flowers within it's hallowed halls.

The morning air was still cool, but she needed the fresh snap to wake her up and destroy the fog she'd been living in since landing on the rock. Crane had told her where she could find the man who was putting her estate in droit to the crown. She was going to have to play that part, again, the part where she was what he wanted so she could get what she needed. When she found Iorn she thought she'd never have to play that part again. Ashari had convinced herself that they would be legitimate. They'd start over here, they'd have children. Now that would never happen, now she was the travelling beauty again.

A familiar voice pulled at her ear as she wandered the streets of the Citadel. ...No. She had practically passed him without noting him in his cloak, for Ulder was supposed to be dead, and thankfully she'd never been much in the habit of seeing the faces of the dead in the faces of the living - a problem which plagued many so she heard. But his voice, and now, in his purple uniform, well.. the Captain was unmistakable. Ulder...

A simmering rage began to take over the already emotionally destroyed woman. "You bastard..." She knelt down and picked up a rock from the ground and hucked it in the general direction of the ex-captain who'd so nicely faked his own death, a death which haunted her with guilt, thinking she could've helped him somehow more. Racing through the crowd (whether or not the rock hit him was neither here nor there for her) she reached where he was and shouted. "AND WHAT REASON DO WE HAVE TO FOLLOW YOU?!" Her heart pounded and her anger flared at him. She might kill him just out of spite. The brunette snarled. He might've been able to place the feeling she felt - betrayal. It was more than anger. They had been friends and she'd mourned him.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

His eyes watched for reactions from the people. Ulder knew he had been a target of much scorn and hatred from many of those inside the walls of the Capital of the Empire. There were many who sought his death.

But he knew he had friends too. There were those who believed in him, chanted his name at the tourney, agreed with his stance against the darkness. Not just strangers, but brothers in arms as well. Brothers like Quall and Xyale, Valsert and Sosa. Those that would stand with him and return the city to its former glory.

It was merely a question of which would come calling first...

A rock hurtled at him from a woman... He deflected it with his shield.

Ashari...

"Ashari..." He started sadly. She had tried to rescue him, and left him alone to die. Cowardly running off instead of using her powers to aid him. There was an instant of wanting to enact some measure of revenge, to tear her limb from limb...

And then he stopped himself. That was the darkness and chaos speaking through him. Trying to get him to do things he would never have done before he set foot in this city.

Elaine was right... There is a taint here that affect us all...

"I'm not asking you to follow me. I'm asking you to join me. I know of your pain. I know Iorn is dead. What took him from you? Was it old age after a long and rich life together? Was it a noble cause worth dying for? No... It was the creatures of darkness that have tainted and stained this place."

"They are growing here. Malignant and corrosive. They have touched your life and you have paid for it with a currency that is far too valuable in this world to waste... love. You can fight against it. You have skills. Powers. But most of all you have a choice..."

He turned and shouted to the crowd once more, his words for both her and anyone who cared to listen.

"WE HAVE ALL PAID TOO HIGH A PRICE ALREADY! LET US JOIN TOGETHER AND END THIS!"

He returned his attention to her specifically.

"Ask yourself if you would have done anything and everything you could do to save your love given the chance. Then look at me and know that I am, that I have to do this..."

He let his eyes linger, locked with hers. Expecting... pleading... Then he began shouting once more.

"THEY HAVE CURSED US ALL! THEY LIVE IN THE FOUL, DARK PLACES! LET US BRING the LIGHT AND FIRE TO THEM! TO DESTROY THEM AND BANISH THEM AWAY WITH SUCH FURY AND CONVICTION THAT THEY WOULD NEVER DARE SET FOOT UPON OUR HOME AGAIN!"

"LET US BE THEIR CURSE! LET US SERVE WITH HONOR AND DIE WITH VALOR!"

"SERVE WITH HONOR! DIE WITH VALOR!"

[/i]

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There were several reasons why Citadel gates were a wrong location for this endeavor. Chief among these was its proximity to the Imperial Guards. Their reaction was immediate, though they did not take any direct action just yet. Advisory Council was scheduled to meet that day. Thus, it was understandable that the full contingent of the Whites was on duty at that time. Preston Summers was still building the unit. A mere hundred men was all he had at that moment. He needed every single one of them to make sure nothing ill befell the members of the Council. It was easy for him to send several more guards to bolster the main gates. Where only four guarded the gates, twenty stood now.

The other reasons why the Citadel Gates were the wrong choice would be a lack of passer-bys and common people. This high in the Patrician's Ring not many chanced to just stroll by. However, it was a fair guess that this sort of show will attract people fast. For now only a few onlookers gathered to watch the spectacle. Strangely quiet they did manage a weak cheer when Ashari threw the first stone. Not many more of those followed, but the crowd was growing slowly. A hundred or so stood listening to Ulder. Not very crowded and rather dispersed, it had a potential to grow.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari's heart rose in her throat, smothering her breath and her voice as the captain spoke of Iorn and her loss of him to a demon. He had stopped that wretched beast, but not after it had killed the young woman it was within and it ended up costing him his life. Poor Perdita, poor Iorn... poor everyone else who'd been lost so far in their attacks against the creatures of the nether. And yet it seemed to never end.

The slight cheer from the crowd at her preliminary onslaught to Ulder wasn't very positive. She wasn't doing it to get their attention. It was all about him - she wanted him to feel her pain. There were so many guards around. That made her uncomfortable. She wasn't a citizen of the rocky island; merely an inhabitant she didn't have the rights of those who belonged.

"Iorn made that choice for me." Ashari said to him. "He chose to give up everything to save me," she said, her face flushed beneath her tan skin. "And there is a part of me that will always hate him for it - for leaving me - and Elaine will hate you, too, when you die crusading, and when you bring death to these fine people." The mindcrafter looked around at the growing crowd.

"HAVE YOU NOT LOST ENOUGH SONS, BROTHERS, HUSBANDS TO THIS BATTLE? WHY GO NOW? UNPREPARED?" She looked back toward Ulder, but her voice remained raised. "AND WITH HIM, WHERE WAS HE? HE LEFT US!" Her jaw clenched, and beneath her skin she began to feel the tingle of her magick, a magick that she tried to use to save Ulder's life - if he only would've come with her. The centre of her magick, a safe core, was where she retreated as her grounding began, a precaution to keep her prepared should anyone strike back.

"GO BACK TO YOUR BUSINESS!" She charged her words with the urgency and swaying that would make them want to go home. No matter the surge of a crowd, no matter their mob mentality, they always wanted a leader, and Ashari had no problem giving them one. "Go home, go work! Be safe! If he wants to go after the monsters then let him."

Her gray eyes looked up at the ex-purple guardsman. "Get your ass down here. Get off your high horse, off your pedastal. Stop trying to be a martyr. You'll be no help to anyone dead - again. I doubt you'll be able to roll out of the grave twice." Ashari's arms crossed infront of her chest and she waited for him to come over to her, or, to keep trying to assemble the masses.
Last edited by Ashari on Thu May 25, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

So, you're not dead after all. Fauna thought with amusement as she saw Ulder make a fool of himself. She was on her way to Audreys, getting her new Mage Dress when she heard the commotion on the street and watched with dry and impersonal detachment. For her, his words were utterly useless, save for the fact that he was utterly handsome in that uniform. Down girl!. You see, Fauna wasn't a coward, no, cowardice was something alien to Fauna. What she could not percieve was valor and perhaps honor, albeit, she usually honor her words depending upon her moodswings and right about now, the dark sorceress would have wanted to laugh out loud with jeering guffaw.

Why do they usually want to gather the light to stop the darkness, it is too cliche. Wouldn't it be the shadows that would be threatened by the gathering Nether, for the darkness would surely supplicant us shadow creatures? This boy is too naive and he will die with his honor and valor intact. Fauna mused, hearing the words that were played between Ulder and Ashari. Yes, poor Elaine. I'm not sure how your tender heart could take this if you see your beloved die again. You couldn't take the death of Ulder, how could you take the news if you hear him die again. Yes, my dear Ulder, you are no coward and you are oozing with valor, but in this you are a fool for hurting Elaine again.

But who is this woman? The dark sorceress gasped out loud when she felt the pull of the mental energies wafting in the air, coming from Ashari. She felt the woman's voice carried a force as she felt herself wanting to go back with her business with Audrey. But, curious, Fauna stepped tentatively forward, trying to will Ashari's voice away from her own psyche as she quickly tapped the Aethers around her, erecting her Mirror Shield against Mind Sorceries.

"Ulder..." The dark sorceress began, turning her blue eyes upon the man. She was wearing a dark purple gown hidden beneath a black cloak, the wide cowl pulled back to reveal an amunic, milky-white, flawless face as she regarded the woman and the man equally with a hint of dry amusement. "Why are you doing this?" She asked him curiously and then it dawned upon her, coldness gripping her as her flawless face paled.

"Where is Elaine, Ulder?!" She asked him imperiously, her blue eyes wide with fear, her blonde hair falling behind her, moving with the breeze. "Tell me where Elaine is?!" But the dark sorceress knew, instinctively, that something bad had happened to Elaine. It clicked together why Ulder was here, alive again, when he should have been dead and in hiding, like some of those Purple Guards.

Oh, Elaine, I told you to be careful! She groaned mentally with dismay, her blue eyes locking with the gray eyes of the woman.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Fri May 19, 2006 4:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Galina Faulkland

Post by Galina Faulkland »

"Can it, Lady! I say it's about freaking time!" Galina shouted out to Ashari. "I lost my business and all my partners to the crap that's been going on around here, and it's about time someone stepped up!"

Galina had enough of riots, attacks, murders... this was getting to be bullcrap! Her own arms were folded. She was lucky she was walking though this part of down during one of her errands for the Pecunian temple.

"We have no Purple Guard, people are getting murdered, and there are more riots than we can shake a stick at. He doesn't need to be the leader, but I really think that the violence here is getting ridiculous and dangerous!"

Galina did look up from her folded arms at the former Captain of the Guard.

"Shit happens... are we going to complain about the stench, or are we going to shovel it into manure? The only problem to your remedy, sir, is that most of the people you're talking to have no idea how to deal with the said instances you wish to face... tell us! How do you plan to have people who have never lifted a sword in their life fight along side of you when you no longer have the authority to give them training? Why should we thin the ranks of our current guards who are already thin to join you? That would leave this already poorly defended town even more helpless."

She didn't want another riot, but she wanted him to be rational about what he was doing, particularly in the situation he was in. In her Pecunia Acolyte robes, she hoped to have a little sway in logic with the crowd. Her tone was not of anger, but of authoritative calculation, pointing out some of the drawbacks to his plan.

Still... she agreed that something had to be done about the current situation...
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mindcraft could be subtle. Centered on emotions it depended heavily on them. Used with a calm mind it could wash over people gently, enveloping them in a warm embrace, making it almost a pleasant and nice experience. This time however, Ashari's anger made her effort a different experience. People recoiled mentally. Had she been more calm they would probably have dispersed slowly. Under these circumstances they simply stood, blinked and started muttering. A few started walking away shaking their heads. Shouts were raised.

"GO AWAY!"
"LEAVE US ALONE!"
"FIND ANOTHER FOOL TO HELP YOU!"
"GO AWAY!"

Stephen Matiro watched from a window. He was on his way to meet with Hector Anzilo when shouts drew his attention. Noticing that the Guards were already on the case he almost missed who was at the center of the crowd. He even took a few steps down the hall when it struck him. Rushing back the Lord Advocate had to peer before he realized who it was. Ulder? By the Gods, he is alive? With no time to waste, he sped down the hall towards the Chancellor's Office. This cast an entirely new light on the riots. That man was directly responsible for all that happened. That man was the reason why there were no more Purple Guards.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Galina Faulkland

~Greaaaaat... just what we needed, another riot...~

Galina stared daggers at Ashari, knowing her anger was about to raise another damn incident. She'd be damned before another riot would ensue... but how could she fix a problem like this? Pushing herself through the crowd to where Ulder was, she went directly to the podium. Since everyone was being so honest, she might as well throw her own two banner in.

Raising her hand skyward, she tried to get the crowds attention, seemingly looking everyone dead in the eye. This was her duty to make sure no more damage was done. If, after awhile, nobody was paying attention to her, she would take both hands to her lips and whistle loudly. Before returning to a prayerful position... there was no smooth-talking in this one, just what was on her mind and heart though all of this.

"Golden Lady, please help us understand that anger has been one of the underlying causes to many of the recent riots which have taken so much from us. Please help us save our economy and livelyhoods from our own anger to those who might have failed us in the past. Help us to return to a time of prosperity as we have known from yahren past, that we might no longer have to sit in fear of the next tragedy. Though our hearts may be leading us to action, please allow us the right mind to take action accordingly so we might not stumble on our path to a better future."

She paused, hoping that got their attention, and hoping they were now calm enough to listen to her. Lowering her hands, she was shaking, not really feeling right up there, but something had to be done.

"... Don't think you're the only one who lost something... And you-" Galina began, looking over to Ulder. "Think people aren't trying to do something about it? I don't care if your hearts are gold, your heads are lead. YES, we need to do something about it, but you and the Purple Guard have screwed up one to many times... yes, you probably meant well-"

Galina's attention briefly went back into the crowd before returning to Ulder.

"And I can attest, I've failed at occations where it cost me and others dearly, but muscle alone doesn't bring security! Yes! We need to investigate these problems and make a bigger joint effort to bring peace, but you are not the man to be leading this effort! Not until you can back up your swordplay with your word once again... I'm sick of these riots, sick of fearing for my life, and sick of people who can't even lead themselves trying to solve the problem... at least I'm trying to do that much before I even think about leading others. You all do whatever the hell you want... I don't need to be a swordarm to start taking the initiative."

Demons, broken stores, bah... Galina had enough of it! Her projects list, at last, had a priority. Something was behind most of this chaos and it had supernatural intent. She walked away, leaving the incident behind, knowing she had to return to the temple for her errands. She was visably mad at the entire situation and walked with purpose back to the temple.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder stared at Ashari in near disbelief.

Who in the hell do you think you are...? You cowardly, craven, misbegotten... He gripped his sword and took a step towards her.

No... I will no succumb to the evil that is permeating here that way. There are bound to be differences. This was not about vendetta or hurt feelings over some misguided perceptions. This was about saving Elaine.

He gave Ashari a rather pointed and blunt look, his words emphasized his point about how he felt about her attempts to undermine him.

Some friend you turned out to be. I showed you nothing but kindness and support, and you ...repay me this way... Well friend, I am well known for trying to bring death to these creatures. Let's see how you feel when I cast you in an uncertain light. When these people begin to question you and your motives...

"THERE ARE THOSE WHO WILL WANT TO RUN! THOSE WHO WOULD RATHER FLEE IN FEAR THAN FACE THEM. THERE ARE EVEN THOSE IN LEAGUE WITH THE CREATURES OF DARKNESS THAT WILL WANT TO TRY AND STOP US!"

"ASK HER WHY SHE WILL NOT FIGHT! ASK HER WHY SHE WOULD RATHER THESE THINGS DEVOUR AND DESTROY US THAN STAND UP TO THEM!"

There now... answer that before you act all self righteous and indignant…

He stopped addressing the crowds for a moment to speak to her where only she and perhaps only a few others could hear.

"Run along now... Run away and hide... Isn't that what you're best at?"

He turned to look at Fauna.

Dear Gods above! Fauna!

"Creatures of the Netherworld took her Fauna. I'm going to save her. I could use your help... I...need your help..."

His eyes pleaded with her as much as any of his words.

Another voice rose from the masses and came forward. He spoke to Galina, trying to convey his message while keeping a wary eye on the crowd... and the gates.

"I'm not asking anyone to swing a sword. I'm not asking anyone to fight with those types of weapons. I'm asking everyone to fight with faith and love. You worship your God. Many others worship theirs. You pray. You believe. These are creatures not of this place. They cannot be fought effectively with sword or spear. They must be fought with weapons anyone and everyone has. Faith...love...hope... These are the weapons that will work against these things. These are the weapons we need to defeat and destroy them..."

"This isn't about muscle... this is about faith... I need your help in altering people's awareness. I'm not here as a member of any guard. The uniform is to get attention. It will be burned and forgotten with the other useless things when this battle is over. This is a war of faith... The people need to rise up against this...”

“So then, lead… follow… or get the hell out of the way…"

He returned to his shouting to the crowd.

“WE NEED TO RISE UP AGAINST THESE CREATURES! RISE UP AND TAKE BACK OUR CITY, OUR HOMES OUR STREETS!”

FAITH IS OUR SWORD! HOPE IS OUR SPEAR! LET US FIND WHERE THESE CREATURES LIVE AND BRING THE FIRES OF OUR FAITH TO BURN THEM WITH! LET US BRING SONG AND SPIRIT TO THEM! SHOW THEM THEY WE ARE THE ONES CHOOSING OUR DESTINY! THAT THEY CANNOT HAVE OUR SOULS!”

Galina Faulkland

"All of the above... as I will get out of YOUR way..."

She continued to walk, knowing she would do precisely what he asked, but in her own way. Right now, it would not be the time make things public. She silently hoped she would get a few to follow her in order to make a difference. To lead and to follow... one had to do both in order to be a true leader.

Right now, she had to report back to the temple... as she had several contracts to write up.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

As Ulder's sword arm tensed and he took the first step toward her (the first, she thought, of several) her body braced. She'd already grounded, and a small mental shield had been erected around herself if only to protect from a mirror of her own power, but she still didn't want to hurt Ulder, something she'd have to do if he decided to attack her. There was that fire in his eyes, however, a thing that burned through him like righteousness, and it often burned right through the soul, to say that Ashari wasn't a bit worried about that flame would be an absolute lie. She was terrified and thankful when he stayed himself.

And then the accusing began. He turned the tables on her, something she wasn't entirely expecting. I'm your friend, Ulder, or atleast I was. She'd thought they'd had a kinship based on their backgrounds, heritage, the land they haled from. That excluded their unity on smiting the evils from the city - and all of Tazlure if it were possible, though she thought that bound them as well. Apparently she'd been utterly incorrect. He'd survived the riot. She'd mourned his death for nothing. Ash felt like a fool for missing him, for crying over him.

"I am a woman who has lost too much already," she replied for his ears, and those directly surrounding them. "And I would've helped you had you asked. I thought you were dead, Ulder. Dead men - they can't be helped."

Ashari's eyes closed painfully as he accused her of cowardice. Her face tilted downward, and when she reopened her gray orbs it was only her own feet she could see, shod in heavy black boots that had travelled more land than she ever thought she would know. Her knees had landed on the feet of graves to say final farewells to friend after friend, and here Ulder stood, alive as ever.

A buxom blonde appeared, fretting over the guardsman and asking questions about Elaine and where she was, and as the ex-captain answered, it all fell into place, and she realized from where his anger came. It was barely directed at her, she was just the closest target. The singer had been taken. Ash glanced over to Fauna, and shook her head. She might follow him, and if she did, it would be into the belly of the beast itself - no doubt after encountering all of it's teeth, and it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

The mindcrafter had nearly become the tool of a demon when she'd last encountered one. She imagined herself marked in some way - a target based on her abilites and talents. Ash took in a deep breath through her mouth. "I will pray for you, Ulder, and I'm sorry I left you. If I could change it-" Already her eyes were watering. Damn this. Damn these tears! "I'm sorry." It was all she could say as her small shoulders lifted in a shrug and she looked up at him apologetically.

And I will miss you when you're gone, for surely if you can't wait to find people who could truely help you, then you go into this mission as a fool's errand. She wondered where his guardsmen were - those who had survived, that is - and why they weren't there helping him stand. They were probably better off elsewhere. Ashari was, too. But, she couldn't bring herself to leave, not yet.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder turned his attention fully to Ashari after watching Galina abandon his fight for her own future elsewhere. He gave Ashari a pointed and direct look as he focused on her. When he spoke, his voice was somewhat softer and less harsh, almost conversational.

"Loss is what this is about Lady Gywien, Lady Fauna. Loss is the fuel in which this fire burns. You have lost. I have lost. Hundreds, perhaps even thousands in this city have all lost."

"Don't you think now is the time to put an end to it? It's time for all who can fight to stand against these things. You know of what I'm speaking about. Murders in the harbor, murders in the palace, ambushes and riots in the streets. Haven't we all had enough?"

He turned and spoke to the crowd as well, not yelling, but his voice was loud enough. It was almost like a public confession, the words poured forth from him like water from a pitcher.

"I have tried to fight it at every turn. I have done my best to find the many evils that plague this city in their lairs and destroy them. Before the Caesar died, we fought them in the streets, our own home was attacked in the raid upon the barracks a few weeks ago. After the Caesar died, and the murders and chaos continued, we fought them the best we could. We were acting to protect the people. To protect all of you! The riots speak of this better than I could ever hope to. Do you think that the ones that would do this city ill would would have fought so hard for something if we weren't close to it's heart? Do you think they would have defended something so fiercely if we weren't close to ending them? I know the riots were terrible...awful! We didn't want that. We did not go seeking to claim power in the rings. We didn't go there to usurp any thrones. We went there because we knew there was evil there. We went there to end the threat that evil posed to the people of this city, and to the empire beyond!"

He paused and returned his attention solely upon Ashari once more.

"You are absolutely right. Dead man cannot be helped. When... when I went down, you thought I was dead. But I survived. I'm here now and I'm still alive. I'm sorry as well. It's just that I have been attacked and ambushed from every direction since I came here. I.... that's no excuse. I'm sorry too..."

"I'm asking you for your help now. I'm asking all of these people for their help now. You, Fauna there, everyone. These terrible things that are happening are just going to get worse and worse unless we rise up and do something about it. Thousands have been wounded or killed. How many more must suffer before we do something about it? How much longer can we go before it's too late to do something about it?"

"Help me rescue Elaine from them! Help me stand against these things. She needs you! I need you! I need to rescue her and stop these things..."

His voice cracked and he was nearly overcome with emotion. His desperation was evident and obvious. Tears welled in his eyes, and his chin quivered as he fought to master himself.

"Please... I beg of you... we have to fight them... we have to..."

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"And thousands will get killed again if you keep doing this, Ulder! Do you want another riot?" Fauna replied silently between clenched teeth, gracefully stepping forward towards the Ex-Purple Guardsman. "You cannot save Elaine with prayers and with the blood of these people. You do not know what you're dealing with, Ulder. This is a Major Deamon, Ulder. A major deamon." She emphasized the fact out plain. "Even Lady Rioja feared it!"

"Get down immediately from there, Ulder, before they throw you into the dungeons for inciting treason against the Empire." The Dark Sorceress whispered out loud, urging the man to step down before any of the Major Domus' White Guards came. "And you cannot save Elaine if you're in the dungeon. I say, get down and flee immediately before any of the White Guards appeared to arrest you!" She knew that the man was not thinking clearly and Fauna, a very practical woman, a woman that belonged to shadows was threatened by the encroaching Nether as well, but this, this theatrics that Ulder was doing would get things worse.

With a graceful movement, she whirled and stood majestically and imperiously before the gathering crowd, her eyes cold:

"CITIZENS OF THE EMPIRE! HEAR ME! DO NOT BE AFRAID, THE MAJOR DOMUS AZARIN IS DOING EVERYTHING HE CAN TO STOP THE ENCROACHING DARKNESS THAT IS UPON OUR DOORSTEP." The Dark Sorceress cried out into the crowd. "BY NOW, HE HAS GATHERED THE LEARNED MAGES, SAGES AND WIZARDS FROM ALL COMPASS OF THE SEVEN EMPIRE AND IT WILL BE WITHIN A FEW WINKING MOMENTS BEFORE THE NETHER IS BANISHED FROM OUR BELOVED EMPIRE, THE CENTER OF TRUTH AND BEAUTY! ONLY THE LORD DOMUS IS OUR BEACON OF LIGHT AGAINST THE DARKNESS. WITH THE PASSING OF CEASAR, I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN HOW THE LORD AZARIN TOOK THE DUTIES OF SAVING THE EMPIRE FROM THE NETHER, HAVE YOUR FAITH IN THE LORD DOMUS, THE LORD AZARIN, OUR BEACON OF LIGHT!"

"Why do you still linger, Ulder? Go now!" She whisperedly urged the Ex-Captain of the Purple Guards to flee before there could be any arresting or riots. "Go to Audrey's Otherwear... We can talk there some more and privately, I cannot help you battle the Nether, but I can at least give some advice and hope and perhaps, point you to the right directions." She whirled again back to the crowd, her eyes flashing threateningly...

"BUT, THE FAITHFUL SON OF THE SEVEN EMPIRE: THE IMPERIAL MAJOR DOMUS, DOES NOT CONDONE ACTS OF PUBLIC REBELLION! AS HIS LOYAL AND PERSONAL VOICE, MY WORD IS HIS, ANY CITIZEN OF THE SEVEN EMPIRE SEEN PARTICIPATING UPON THIS ACTS OF PUBLIC SEDITION WILL BE ARRESTED AND THROWN INTO THE DUNGEON FOR TREASON AGAINST THE EMPIRE. CITIZENS! I ADVICE ALL OF YOU TO GO BY YOUR BUSINESS NOW BEFORE THE VIGILANT, FAITHFUL AND COURAGEOUS WHITE GUARDS OF THE IMPERIAL MAJOR DOMUS APPEARS AND STARTS ARRESTING PEOPLE." She gave the crowd her most imperious, cold look, expecting them to heed her advice.

"BE IT SO!"
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Thu May 25, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fauna filled Ashari's shoes well, scaring off the natives and telling them to head off to their houses and continue with their business. "If you want my help, then it's yours, Ulder." And as soon as she said it she felt a darkness deep within her, the cold that accompanied her previous near-death experiences, and she wondered how she was going to survive this. She'd been thrust into the position of heroine before, but, that had been accidental. The dark beauty hadn't exactly been one to choose to be in this place, and yet it was happening again. She had a great power at her disposal.

"Do you want them, Ulder? I can..." Ashari looked at Fauna and her cold stare that was meant to frighten them, tell them they would die. The mage could offer them such warmth and encourage them to follow, to pray, to bring their light to wherever Ulder needed it. She could gather them as they moved through the city to the ex-captain's destination where they would find Elaine - she hoped. There they could purge the darkness. If he wanted that. "I can encourage them to follow," she said.

But, inwardly, she hoped that wasn't the path he would take. These were innocents. Fauna spoke of the Major Domus Azarin. A leader? Politician? She wasn't sure until she spoke of the caesar and him following him. Place holder for the next caesar. It made more sense then, and she said he was sending out a group of mages, but that only caused Ash to snicker. That was highly unlikely. What major leader would do such a thing? And what leader would send a little blonde thing like Fauna out as 'his loyal and personal voice'? She nearly scoffed at the idea. Her mind spun inside her head as she collected to her core and tried to read Fauna, and what exactly she was, for, more often than not, things were not what they appeared on the outside. Ashari, for example, was hardly what she looked to be.

"Your call, Ulder. My mind is at your disposal." She gave him a slight nod that was nearly a bow. "And if you've tired of her speech, that can be quiet done as well." Ashari flashed a glance to Fauna that spoke of a simmering power beneath the surface.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The crowd was dispersing. Olive skinned sorceress made them seek other distractions. Her power washed over them like a wave. Even Ulder felt it. Why he remained? Perhaps his work was rescuing Elaine and he was doing just that. Galina found herself one of the many that were leaving the scene. The guardsmen nearby began to disperse as well. No need to linger if there was no crowd. The fun was over and they could go back to their duties They could laze about till the Council ended in a few marks.

~~~~~~~~~

Lord Advocate knocked on the door of Chancellor Anzilo's office. "Come in." And so he did. "Ah, Steph...." He was interrupted. In a rather hurried voice, Stephen Matiro voiced his disturbance. "Captain Ulder is alive. Bloody Hell, he is not only alive, but is gathering a crowd at the very gates of the Citadel. I could not make out the words, but he is there and dressed in that purple tabard of his. How did this happen? He was dead. I saw the body. Knife through the throat. He should have been at the trial. He was the one that started this. And he is gathering another crowd. We gotta do something. No more riots. I can't explain another riot."

Rising Hector poured a large glass of whiskey for Matiro. Then he downed it in one gulp. Poured another and it made it to the Lord Advocate untouched. "Sit down. We do nothing. They won't listen to him." I hope they won't. That bloody fool. Of all the bad moves he could have made. "We can't arrest him now. It would only make things worse. And we can't go to him as it would... Well, you do the math. So, just relax and do nothing. This is Imperial Guards territory. Let them worry about it." He did not cease to worry, but there was nothing he could do now. Later he would like to have a talk with Ulder. A rather stern talk. What were you thinking?

~~~~~~~~~~

Another pair of eyes watched. This one much more malevolent. So he lives. Not many can say they met the Brotherhood and survived. We shall meet again, dear Captain. And next time I shall make sure the job gets done. Imperial Secretary Silk watched from a window as the events unfolded. He could do nothing directly. At least not now. Not today. The sole fact that he knew Ulder was not dead was enough for him. As soon as the Council ended he would set certain events into action and all will be well soon. Real soon.

~~~~~~~~~

The crowd was almost half gone when a coach escorted by a two dozen guards rolled to a halt near the spot where Ulder stood. Dressed in gold and yellow uniforms each guard had the crest of Duke of Dort stitched onto his chest. Same sigil was painted on the coach door. Positioning themselves between their liege and the crowd they said nothing. The door opened and the riches man in the Empire stepped out.

Placing his fists upon hips he watched for a couple of flickers before his rich voice rose above the din of the crowd. "Ah, the infamous Captain Ulder. I see the stories weren't true. One riot could not finish you off, so you decided to see if you could start your own? maybe see if you can finish what the first one started? Perhaps I could help? I know certain people who could perhaps do it with less pomp." The graying man sighed. "Perhaps you would join me for a ride and we can discuss it further. Bring your friend too. Or friends. Whatever suits your fancy."
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu May 25, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder turned to look at Fauna as she addressed him. He still held out hope that there were those that would help him. To the best of his knowledge, Fauna had been friends with Elaine, surely he could count on her. Then her words washed over him and he very nearly hung his head in defeat.

I can't fight these things and the people of the city too... It's too hard for one man. It's an impossible task...

He looked on as she spoke to the small crowd, his teeth clenched tight in anger. What had been been despair now turned into cold rage once more. Then Fauna did something rather curious, she wanted to speak with him...? At some dress shop no less...?

What in all the bloody hells is going on here? Don't they realize what I'm trying to do? Don't they realize that I'm trying to protect them? Don't they realize they can protect themselves?

He was about to shout at Fauna when Ashari said something soft and low that brought a sense of light and hope to the dim places of his heart and mind. His head snapped around to look at her. He replied to her the only words that came to his mind, his voice thick and tight as he held back.

"Thank you Lady Gywien."

"No. Let them go." He said as he watched the powerful effect of her mind wash over the crowd and begin to disperse. He himself felt as if leaving were the best choice. "Thank you... but no. Just let them go."

He watched the coach approach and instantly recognized the sigil of the Furst of the West. He had never truly spoken with the Furst in any real way. He heard that Erwin was a negotiable man with a great eye for finance first, and politics second, although his choice to back some farmgirl as the next Caesari of the Empire was somewhat suspect in Ulder's opinion.

"My Lord. It is not a riot I wish to gather here, but an army." Ulder looked down ruefully at the purple tabard he wore. "You see, the army I once belonged to is now gone."

Ulder raised his blade and cut the purple tabard from his tall frame with the sharp edge of his sword. He let the pieces fall to the ground at his feet, exposing the steel skin of armor underneath.

"That was the last of the pomp and glory of old my Lord... and the last of my honor." He glanced around.

"Lady Ashari Gywien, Lady Fauna Winthrope, allow me to introduce to you the Furst of the West. Duke Erwin von-zu Dort-Billigh. My Lord Duke, Lady Fauna and Lady Ashari."

Ulder sheathed his weapon and slowly approached the Duke. If the Duke's men were there to seize him, then he would allow them to do so without a struggle.

"These fine ladies have offered their insight and assistance in dealing with the problems that this city faces. Lady Ashari is an acquaintance of mine, while the Lady Winthrope is a friend of Elaine Bannon, the Royal Poet." Ulder wasn't sure the Duke would know of his relationship with Elaine, but it would be obvious now that Ulder was close to her if he didn't know already.

"Ladies. The Duke has graciously offered the use of his carriage to remove us from... the ugly scene I've made here today. I would be remiss if I did not join him to thank him properly, but I cannot speak for you. Rest assured I am incredibly grateful to both of you and I will seek you out at a later time if you do not join us here and now. It is my sincere hope that you will accompany us however."

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You're welcome, Captain." She couldn't shake the image of him as the Purple Guardsmen, even if they'd been disbanded. To her, he would always be the Captain of the Purple Guard, even out of his uniform once he shook this one off and burned it as he claimed he would. "And consider them gone." She continued releasing energies into the crowd, gently urging them home and onto their business. The mage had calmed down since her initial onslaught on the people, and hoped that her continued presence merely encouraged them to get on with it.

Ashari gave a deep curtsey at her introduction and smiled to the Furst. "My pleasure, Lord Duke Erwin von-zu Billigh." She'd heard the title before, but she couldn't exactly place where. Perhaps it had been Iorn who'd spoken of him, though she was sure if he'd met him that he would've told her of that. Not that he told you any of the great details of what happened between he and Isa. Ash still didn't have a proper way to deal with that infidelity. He'd promised her that he would be true, and yet he hadn't. She couldn't be angry at him for it, and she was trying not to be angry at him for leaving her: period, for he'd said he'd be with her always. It was ironic that she had worries that he would be lonely when yahren passed and she grew old and died.

She watched Ulder sheath his weapon, and she did the same, withdrawing her mind from the extention she'd put it on, though there was no way the Furst's men could disarm her aside from knocking her unconcious. Ash stepped forward and glanced at Fauna. Though not one particularly prone to jealousy, the dark haired minx didn't get a good feeling about the blonde. Though, if she was friends with Elaine, and Ulder trusted Elaine, then Ashari just had to make the assumption that she couldn't be that bad.

"I'd gladly accept the ride. Thank you, my Lord Duke." She responded graciously. Ulder continuing to call her Lady Ashari was somewhat amusing, because he absolutely knew without a doubt that she was not one. Infact, she could've been, had her father lived and recieved a title for his military work, however, that wasn't the case. What could've been an important life had been cut much too short. Ashari and Ulder had once insisted upon calling eachother by their first names, when he'd taken her out on a ride around the city, but that was a distant memory even though it was just days prior. "And the sooner the better, I'd say."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

She did not approve of Ulder’s style. That much was certain. It would be catastrophic if Ulder would lead a raging populace armed with pitchforks and butterknives against the Major Deamon. And besides, he doesn’t even know where Elaine was located or where the Major Deamon was holding the blind poet. What was he going to do? Run around in circles praying and hoping for a miracle, shouting slogans against the Major Deamon as if it was a nefarious capitalist. Oh no, he would be killed in an instant and along with his ‘army’ that Ashari would whip up for him. It was almost tantamount to death and Fauna knew how much the Nether love death and it shocked the Dark Sorceress that Ashari would use her Mind Sorcery to do just that. If there should be any saving of Elaine done, it should not use any huge army against the Nether. It should be dealt with utmost cunningness, for the Dark Sorceress knew how the Nether works: it was crafty, devious and malignant. It took one to know one. Not like this, shouting defiance to the world.

Oh, you’ll get killed, Ulder. Fauna Winthrope thought as she stared at the Ex-Captain, thanking the gods that the crowd was dispersing and that the man was thinking straight. They didn’t realize that it was the Major Deamon they were up against, the full force of the Nether.

Fauna Winthrope was a very special woman, that much was certain for Ashari. She was blonde, had a very superior sense of fashion style (that much was certain) but the curious thing was that there was an Amunic cast to her feature, albeit it contradicted with her milky-white, flawless complexion. The blonde woman almost gleamed under the morning sun, her flowing blonde mane waving with the morning breeze. With a curious look, the Amunic, blonde woman glanced at Ashari and gave her a questioning gaze, her seemingly empty blue eyes looking at her equally and the Mind Sorceress could see energies crackling within that blue pupils, and it wasn’t just one energy that Ashari could see, there was a hint of mind sorcery within it, a small taint of the Nether as well… and there was even... Blood Sorcery. The dark sorceress gave the dark-haired woman a small grin, her blue eyes gleaming. Have you seen what you’re looking for, Mind-Leech? Fauna thought to herself, not knowing if the Mind Sorceress could steal her thought . There was a shield around her, albeit a very minor shield, yet there was something odd about that Aetheric Shield too.

“A pleasure to meet you, Noble Duke.” Fauna Winthrope replied with high blondeness aplomb, giving the Duke a very perky smile and gracefully curtseying before him and then turned her gaze back to Ulder, a gaze that hinted that she did not approve of this gentleman. “I do have an appointment, Capta…” Fauna paused, unsure of how to call the Ex-Captain. “…Gracious Sir Ulder. I’m supposed to get my new dress from Audreys, but the Lady Bannon is a very close friend of mine, so I shall postpone my appointment with the Lady Tailor Audrey Harden. I shall accompany you, Gracious Sir Ulder.” Fauna nodded, hoping that the Duke could see her as nothing more than a vain lady. As long as this will not take too long.

With that, she imperiously turned her attention back to the Duke, smiling at him with all the graciousness she could muster and offered her well-manicured hand to him, waiting before the carriage and waiting for the Duke or one of his coachman to help her inside.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Fri May 26, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

So melodramatic. So proper. My dear Captain, when will you learn. Erwin offered no comment as Ulder cut off his tabard. Erwin always preferred effects over melodrama, even though it had it's place. Perhaps there is a reason for all this mess, though I fail to see one here. Oh, well, perhaps the good Captain will elaborate later. He moved out of the way and let the ladies enter.

The crowd slowly evaporated. The term explained the way it ceased to exist rather nicely. It's edges drifted away, a person at a time. Everyone had something else to do. Ashari made sure of that. Perhaps not the most subtle tactic possible, but in the end it worked. Seeing the crowd disperse made the Imperial Guards follow suit. They knew the Furst by reputation and the Golds at his side did not inspire them much. The Dortish guards had a reputation as being well trained and well paid. Extremely well paid. That made them very motivated.

Not much passed Erwin's scrutiny and as such he caught Fauna's gaze. One did not get to be the richest man in the Empire and probably in the entire world, by not paying attention. The sole fact that he showed nothing as a reaction to that only attested to his long years of experience. She received the help in getting aboard, though Furst was tempted to play dumb and ignore it. If K'Mith could see me now, she would laugh so hard that I would be a father far sooner than expected.

Waiting until they were all aboard, Erwin climbed in last and took a seat. To say that the carriage was rich would be an understatement. Plush velvet seats were decorated with gold stitching. Faint scent of fine tobacco with just a hint of whiskey permeated the interior. As the coach rumbled once more up the road, Erwin smiled at the trio that shared the coach with him. "Now, Captain. Tell me what troubles you so that you seek such public attention? You mentioned gathering an army? Pray tell, whom do you intend to fight? You are not planning a rebellion aren't you?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Please my good lord Duke, and ladies. Sir or Captain is a rank I no longer hold, as the Guard no longer exist. I do appreciate the courtesy very much. I will not intend seek reinstatement of that rank, nor any other position within the ranks of the military structure of the Empire. Those days are over for me I fear. I am only Ulder now."

He swallowed and looked around at the coach's inhabitants.

"The public attention has but one purpose my lord. The army I seek to gather can only share that sole purpose. I have seen the creatures of darkness that dwell in this city. The force I seek to raise is to destroy them. But I will admit to having a selfish reason for this. You see, Elaine Bannon was taken by one of these things. I love her and I want her back."

It was the first sort of confession for him of these feelings. He had spoken of them to her, but to say it to someone else for the first time made him feel awkward and vulnerable. It was a necessary confession. He did not want the Duke, Ashari, Fauna, or anyone else misunderstanding him.

"I'm doing everything in my power to rescue her. Many will think this is a fool's errand. Many will question my sanity, my loyalty to the Empire and my very existence. But make no mistake my good lord Duke. I want Elaine back safe and these creatures destroyed. Then Gods willing, I will trouble this city and its people no more."

"So in a way, yes it is...was a rebellion. Or rather, it might have been." he said somewhat sullenly, casting dagger-like glances at Ashari and Fauna who had made such an upswell impossible. "But not a rebellion to overthrow the existing government. Rather a gathering to end these things and their influence and effect on this city. These are creatures of the Nether. They do not belong here and they need to be destroyed. Elaine showed me the taint they have created. I sought to gather forces to end it."

He looked down at the pommel of his sword, fingers idly toying with the leather grip, waiting for the Duke and these two women to call him crazy.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari, thankfully, was quite capable of getting into a carriage all on her own, without the assistance of the Furst or his attendants. If one offered (aside from the Furst himself) she would just wave his hand aside. "The Mother gave me legs for a purpose, but thank you." The brunette sat herself comfortably on the fine cushion of the coach and listened as Erwin posed questiones to the ex-captain. She brushed out the folds of her green skirt and covered her dusty and beaten boots as best she could. It was, perhaps, time to invest in a new pair, for these ones had seen two wars and a riot and it was beginning to show.

Ulder's eye-daggers caused a small smirk on Ashari's face. "You're welcome." She said somewhat tauntingly. "Unless you wanted to be arrested?" Ash paused and looked at the Furst. "Perhaps you should swing over and drop our ex-Captain with the Imperial Guard..." Her gray orbs darted over to the Westerner. "Do you think this creature who stole Elaine will be found in a dungeon - or better still - on a block as you're beheaded?" The young woman shook her head. He was crazy.

She was hesitant to jump on him again, to continue questioning him and his motives, and to reassure him that he would do no good to Elaine locked up or dead, but she held her tongue to allow the Furst a chance to speak. "What did you think those people were going to do? Draw it out of hiding? Do you even know where it is? -where Elaine is?"

"You have to make a choice, Ulder, about whether this is about rescuing the woman you love or if this is about saving this city, because though both might be accomplished, only one can be your focus." Ashari glanced over to Erwin. She might've apologized for talking so much under other circumstances, but she didn't. She had no idea where they were headed, either. "Where're we going?" She asked him, casually, realizing she was probably in the most suptuous coach in all of the Citadel.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"Oh." Fauna Winthrope, Protege of the Major Domus, Andolin Azarin gasped ever so slightly, her blue eyes brimming with unshed tears as she fumbled for a handkerchief from her small purse.

"That is so valiant of you, M'sieur Ulder." She breathed quite blondefully as she heard how the ex-captain would go through the doors of the Nether itself just to save Elaine. And how so naive and crazy... She commented coldly, dabbing her small, silken cloth upon her eyes. It was imperative that the Furst should see her as some empty-headed, blonde woman so she could advise the Lord Domus of what the ex-captain would do and what this odious Furst would want from the Ex-Purple Guardsman.

With glistening, blue eyes, she turned her head between the trio, her eyes empty and shining as if the sun was shining through the back of her empty, blonde head. She would listen only, and perhaps, give advise, such advise that was so inept and so foolish that it would be no worth mentioning. Oh, but the Dark Sorceress knew what was happening, hiding what she was thinking behind her blue eyes. And she knew how to get Elaine and how to find the blind bard from the Nether Creature.

"Oh, your Graceness..." Faune perkilly breathed, eyeing the Furst with her eyelashes, giving him a very flirtatious smile. "May I impose upon you to head towards Audrey's Otherwear? I do have an appointment with her and I have to get this fabulous and ingenious new dress that I recently bought from her."

And yes... Fauna turned her blonde head back to Ulder. What do you propose to do? Asking him silently with her eyes.

"But Gracious Lady..." The Dark Sorceress replied, her blue eyes as empty as before, eyeing the Mind Sorceress. "I heard that the vile Nether Creature came from the Citade dungeons..." She gave her a very frightened look, shivering theatrically. She knew that, she was there with the Lord Domus Azarin when the Prince of the Nether attacked the Citadel Palace.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

If the Duke understood anything of what Ulder said he did not even bat an eyelash to show it. He simply listened with arched eyebrows, shifting his gaze as the people in the carriage spoke. A shadow of a smirk showed as Ashari taunted the ex-Captain, but no more that just a hint as his lips curved ever so slightly upward. He said nothing instead letting them have their little mud slinging contest. It was only after Fauna spoke that Erwin allowed himself a reaction.

"This is all so very interesting. But, I am perhaps not the right man to discuss such issues. While I do know a thing or two about magick, I am by no means an expert." This might have been the truth or the gross understatement for all his face showed. Even, K'Mith had trouble knowing when Erwin was lying an d when he was telling the truth. Both came so very naturally to the graying man. "As to where we are going, young lady that is a bit of a problem. I am going to the Citadel for the Advisory Council meeting this tradetide. Where you will go is entirely up to you. I shall instruct the driver to drop you all of wherever you please." Then his gaze turned to Fauna. "But, only to drop you off. Do not misuse it, if you please."

His eyes left them and he cast a glance out the window seemingly no longer interested in the conversation at hand. Still, merely a couple of flickers have passed when his gaze came back to Ulder. "My son, I won't tell you what to do. You know that the best. I can give you a piece of advice though. Go to the Dort Embassy once I get off the coach. Speak to my wife. She may be able to help and considering how grumpy she is of late, facing her would make your encounter with a demon seem less frightening." He said no more as the coach rumbled to a slow halt. "I shall take you leave now, unless you have some questions for me." He waited for them to speak up.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder's stomach churned as Ashari and Fauna continued their arrogant, mettlesome ways. Did they really think him that ignorant? Did they really feel as if all he was going to do was swing a hunk of steel at some fell beast and expect victory?

Gods help me if they think that's all I can do. If they think that's I all know... I guess I need to show them what I'm truly made of...

Then Fauna spoke of her appointments. It was simply too arrogant and self absorbed for her to think that this was some slight errand like picking some some fruit at a market, or some dress at a store. He shook his head at her in disgust.

"Lady Winthrope, You're smarter than that. Elaine is in serious danger if she's not dead already. This whole city and thousands of people are in serious danger, yourself included. Frittering on about some idiotic dresses and some meaningless appointments is unbelievably pointless and selfish. I know you're smarter and more logical than that. Please start showing it."

...selfish... empty headed twit...!

He turned his attention back toward the Duke as if none of that unpleasantness had even taken place.

"I beg to differ with your assessment my lord Duke. You actually know a great deal about I'm trying to accomplish, as you yourself have been down this road many times before in your quests yahren ago. The Empire exists today because of your fight against these things. The exploits of the "Party of Light" is well known to even the smallest villages in the West where I grew up. You are being far too modest. Your expertise is exactly the kind of wisdom that I am seeking."

"It's simple really. This entire city exudes a Song. All of the lives of those who dwell here add to that song with the essence of their lifeforce, their souls. Each life adds a voice, and all of the voices are intertwined together."

He cast glances at Ashari and Fauna to see if they were following along and continued. Elaine had explained this to him, and now he shared it to the best of his ability.

"This Song is the most powerful weapon against these creatures. It's a direct link with the power of the Gods. Elaine can hear it. She can hear the melodies and the harmonies and hear these creatures as they taint and corrupt that Song. The power of this is why they have taken her I believe. I believe that if they can corrupt the Song enough, they will be able to enslave us all to their will, and transform our world into a twisted version of theirs, and rule over us."

"That is the power we have over them and our key to defeating them and banishing them back to the Hells in which they came from. If we get enough people together, bound by faith, bound by hope, bound by a common determination and will, then we can strike at these things in a manner in which they have no defense. They will be weakened and destroyed. Fauna, you study at the University, Ashari, you have your experience and knowledge as well. If we can find where the taint is coming from, that is where Elaine will be. That will be the heart of these things, and that is where we will strike."

He gave them all a defiant stare.

"So you see, an army is needed. Perhaps an army of soldiers will be needed to bring these things down once the Song begins to tear at them, but an army of faith and will is needed first. You my lord Duke, are an expert at gathering forces with a common purpose, so I hope you can see, and I pray that you will not push me aside in this. I need your help most of all."

He swallowed, and grit his teeth in determination.

"I will go to the Embassy if you wish. I will speak these things to your wife as well, but to me there is no decision to be made. No separate courses of action to take. It's not save the city or save Elaine. By doing one, I accomplish the other."

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”