Re-commissioning the Drunken Duck

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Re-commissioning the Drunken Duck

Post by Aislinn O`Conaill »

The background info that was in the post is no longer needed, please refer to the next post.
Last edited by Aislinn O`Conaill on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What does not destroy me, makes me stronger. Friedrich Nietzxche

theoriginalcousinit@yahoo.com
Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Okay - a newer write-up (trying to make things more vibrant) do you want to edit/post suggestions to change things up even more? Any more details I could tie in from elsewhere?

Right off of Dort’s central market square, the Drunken Duck squats companionably between a large stable and a busy lane, a glowing bastion of friendly warmth tucked within its slightly bowed walls. The yellow-gold brick is slightly weathered but no less vibrant, it’s distinctive coloring more telling than the wooden sign which hangs stoically from the verandah: an etching depicts a tipsy bird, one wing wrapped about a tankard of sloshing ale.

The porch and verandah extend just a few paces beyond the doorway, allowing patrons a few sheltered paces before a grand entryway that might almost seem more suited to the theater across the Lane. Two large, leaded windows nearly eclipse the wide front door, catching and reflecting any light in the bits of multi-colored glass embedded there. Though there are no clear pictures in the fractured design, there is something almost cheery in the swirls of color found there.

The bright blue door opens into a large and spacious taproom well-lit by multiple windows and well-placed lamps. Regardless of tide, many of the tables hum with friendly or inebriated conversations, and a barmaid scurries about distributing tankards and bowls, returning sass or smiles as appropriate, though her smile softens any rebuke easily. Her hair is falling free from the haphazard bun at the nape of her slender neck as she bypasses the stairs that bisect the back wall, and pushes through the swinging door next to it.

The bar stretches along the entire wall opposite the stage, plain wooden stools lined neatly along its counter as a slightly portly man tends to those seated there. He exchanges comments with those near him, voice mixing with the genial atmosphere. With all the general sociability to be found here, one might almost miss the large figure perched at one end of the bar, a few tattoos peeking out from beneath the respectable but plain garb he wears. Quietly watchful, his eyes pause on any groups that might be getting a little rowdy.

The NPCs will be slowly updated in the following format:
Appearance:
Personality/Quirks:
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: (Past storylines, possible future storylines, and NPC connections).

Brief History: The Inn was established by Gregor Armistice's father, who had originally called it some eminently forgettable name. However, because of it's squat frame and distinctive color, the locals fondly dubbed it 'The Drunken Duck'. It was not until the passing of Gregor's stubborn father that the name became official.
Although frequented by Actors and theater patrons alike in the evening and grade -tides, the boisterous atmosphere maintains a sort of civilized chaos that rarely calls for the Bouncers to make a scene. While the Armistices often enjoy a pleasant profit, they are the first to instruct their workers to cut off any disagreeable drunks before problems have a chance to occur.
The afternoons are slightly quieter, the slower atmosphere due to the older crowd that frequents the earlier hours before the young workers emerge from their jobs.
There is a sense of family between many of the patrons and the old Inn, which has been around for nearly half a century.
NPC Workers:

Gregor Armistice (Owner & Day Barkeep)–
Appearance: Though somewhat dense and wide of frame, the tavern-keeper manages to look stocky rather than portly. His features betray his age somewhat with several deeply traced lines, though they give his pleasant smile a more fatherly look. Though once handsome, his features have begun to sag - and his slightly impaired sight means he has to squint to make out distant details with any accuracy. A mop of silvering blond hair droops below his ears.
Personality/Quirks: Somewhat brash in his opinions, his bark is worse than his bite - and the regulars know that the only real way to rile him up is to interfere with his business by being overly disruptive. Despite an obvious affection for his wife, he seems to think such public demonstrations are not 'manly' and will bluster and hem and haw about such things - after all the years, it has become a long-standing joke with many of the locals. Mid 50s
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: Bartends, Fixes things (that then occassionally need more fixing), and responsible for general upkeep.

Karin Armistice (Owner & Cook)
Appearance: It is plain to see how Karin caught Gregor's heart more than thirty years ago, for Karin's beauty has not withered with age by any means. A slightly weathered, heartshaped face is made somehow more complete by the few lines and wrinkles that assemble at the corners of eyes and around the edges of her lips. Brilliant blue-green eyes gleam intelligently from a well-proportioned face that has grown motherly with age. Her hair is a shimmering silver/gray that is knotted simply and firmly at the back of her head. Shorter than average. Early 50s
Personality/Quirks: Though innocent and simply pleasant she may seem, an impish impulsiveness seethes beneath her motherly exterior. For the last several years she has been responsible (and undiscovered) for many minor pranks and jokes on her husband - enjoying his reactions and the speculations of the regulars. Though not sharp, her wry manner takes great pleasure in teasing those she knows as friends.
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: Waits on tables as needed when business is busy, enjoys gossiping about light-hearted things, but doesn't tolerate bad-mouthing of others. Cooks and is also responsible for the status of the rooms.

Sydni (Barmaid #1) –
Appearance: Sydni is a modest but buxom young woman that works the evening/early morning shift at the Drunken Duck. Tight, auburn curls dangle coquettishly to her shoulders, and her plain features sparkle with life and vitality more than beauty. This young human is in her early twenties, and her work garb consists of a practical but flattering gray dress, with a dark blue apron tied about her waist. She often tucks a rag or two in the waistband, to easily wipe down empty tables in preparation for new customers. Average height.
Personality/Quirks: Though friendly and pleasant, Sydni learned early on that no-nonsense and firm boundaries were needed to help maintain a reputable bar-room. To this end she is known to sass back as good as she gets, and often employs her cleaning rags to whip and snap at any hands that move in inappropriate directions. Though a mild flirt on occasion to the many handsome men which pass through, she rarely takes such things seriously - and makes sure no one else does. In essence, she's so well-liked by the patrons that any trouble-maker's are given an equally hard time by the regulars. She is occassionally absent-minded, which sometimes wreaks havoc on her co-workers.
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: [Need suggestions from other mod(s)] A recent hire, Sydni is the daughter of a Captain who often berths in Dort. Her mother lives on a small farm with her elder brother and his family.

Sapphire (Barmaid #2) –
Appearance: Sapphire is easily picked out from among the crowds, as her brilliant blue eyes, framed by long dark lashes, are distinctive and memorable. A pert triangular face is framed by chin-length brunette locks, though unlike Sydni her time as a barmaid has left her slightly pessimistic about life - an outlook that has allowed a few extra lines to accumulate at eyes and mouth. A blue tattoo swirls at the outer corner of each eye, a remnant from her brief stint at sea. Late 20's, petite frame. Achadhiel.
Personality/Quirks: Pessimistic and occasionally at odds with the outgoing Sydni, she is still civil and friendly to those in her vicinity - though her reputation for a sharp tongue keeps people distant. Never one to pass up a few discreet coins for information, with the right inducement she is a valuable contact for at least one smuggling operation.
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: -knowledge of ships and sailors and dock schedules (smugglers?);
-Used to sail (briefly);

Bertram (Bartender)–
A portly fellow with a persistantly dour expression, well-versed in listening to the sob-stories of those around him. A black fringe of hair encircles his head, though a longer swatch is combed over the bald section. Single, and has a problem with gambling.
(Might eventually be replaced by nephew?)

Owain (Bouncer #1) –
Appearance: Owain's burly, trim figure and short cropped hair betray his military past to any with the wit to note it.Though he can often be found at ease, he has never quite lost the slightly stiff posture ingrained in those of the Duke's elite: the Sunfire Brigade. ~6 ft tall, mid 40s. His pleasant features are slightly weathered, and a neatly trimmed beard frames his otherwise weak chin
Personality/Quirks: This bouncer enjoys his job, as it gives him discounted access to his favorite ales and a chance to gossip with his older cronies, some of whom had moved on to start their own businesses or families. Once his shift is over, he might still be found wandering around, regaling the younger evening crowd with spectacularly exaggerated stories of the Brigade's exploits. With Islay's frequent spurts of uprisings, he has a healthy disdain for all things Clansmen - as well as a healthy respect for the damage they are able to cause.
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: - Connected to Duke's elite Sunfire Brigade
- Military background, skilled in weaponscraft

Aedan (Bouncer #2) –

For future story/plot use: create a nephew to groom as heir. Could he have mixed blood with the 'Highlander' group?

NPC patrons (Regulars)

Nyk
Appearance: This old regular seems as much a fixture of the Drunken Duck as the furniture, a very aged figure with a tall, spare frame that stretches midway between 6 and 7 feet in height. His thinning gray hair is pulled into a once fashionable ponytail that falls a few inches past his shoulders. Though once a man in his prime, both muscle and fat seem to have leeched free from his limbs, leaving him with a narrow frame and long thing limbs that seem to stick out every which way. His papery skin is splotched with age and traced with veins, giving no doubt that he is very old indeed. Rarely does he move from his chosen place on the porch or by the fireside, for his right pant leg is neatly trimmed to where someone's calf should be - revealing instead a sturdily carved wooden peg. A thin goatee grows about his pensive mouth, which is often drawn in concentration as his hands work steadily with a knife and piece of wood, letting wooden curls fall to the ground as he carves carefully away at a new creation. Nyk has been around and old for as long as nearly anyone can remember, though he has grown more careworn and weary since his wife's passing 8 yahren earlier.
Personality/Quirks: Nyk can be both mild or crotchety depending on the weather, and swears he can foretell a change by the ache in his leg. While many dismiss him as old and senile, he has a tale or two of his own to spin, and is quite familiar with local lore and history - though he seems to have a bit of trouble keeping more recent events in line. Recently he has clashed with Sydni, who (as the most recent hire) has been responsible for the majority of the tidying for the taproom and dislikes finding bits of "sawdust" all over her floors. The old man enjoys people watching, and happily relates his observations to those willing to listen.
Story (PC) Connections:
Notes: - Familiar with local lore/history
- Enjoys a bit of gossip, and accumulating rumors

Fishermen:
Jaffrey & Jarod - Single, indentical twin brothers about 26 years old, average height, sturdy complections and callused hands. Constantly arguing and insulting each other (everything is a competition) but they are just as quick to defend each other against insults or demeaning actions from others. Both flirt incessantly with Sydni (though each are only interested because they think the 'other' one is), who often uses their competitive natures to get them to buy more food or beer. Ready to challenge any new young men that might also apply for Sydni's affection with arm-wrestling or other 'manly' tests of skill. It's all in fun, however, and these lighthearted chaps are more than loyal to their friends.

Graf - One of Owain's younger buddies from the Duke's Sunfire Brigade, he has now turned to fishing, specializing in the huge Deep Sea fish that often grace the ocean farther out. He supplies the Drunken Duck with a portion of his slightly exotic catch, and is always looking for new workers as it can be an exhausting task. A little known fact: he was forced out of the Brigade due to a run-in with a superior in a gambling game amid a flurry of cheating accusations. He and Bertram enjoy a game or two of dice on occassion. They have a running tab between the two of them - though it never ends up getting paid off, and they are constantly in a friendly discussion about how much each of them currently owe the other. Sapphire helps him connect with smugglers to siphon off certain amounts of his catch 'tax-free'.

Merchants:

BLACKSMITH
- Manry Callaghan
Human, Late 30s. Stocky, thick muscles. Shock of black hair that is tamed to a plain, leather tied braid. Somewhat greedier than the average merchant, he is known for pushing up his prices at the least provocation. Pleasant enough fellow.

TAILOR
-Alex Cartwright
A slender beanpole, this Achadhiel is in his early 50s and far more tempermental than most of his kind. Reddish hair curls slightly around a slender and attractive face. Though his younger human wife keeps him in line, he has an eye for attractive folks. Gives himself slight airs, but is loyal to supporting his neighbors and friends when necessary. Good at wearing people down through arguments.

WEALTHY (TBD as necessary for stories)

DUKE’S MEN (Theater Folk)

"A boisterous group of figures, shapely and youthful, often commandeer the area near the stage - their brightly colored garb and occasional flamboyant recitations mark them as the Duke's Men (though there are several women among their company now). A few of the better dressed patrons seem to hang about in their company."
Last edited by Aislinn O`Conaill on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

This is fantastic Tibs!

I love the new write up, and great job in keeping continuity with the old stuff! :D

I'd like to flesh out the owners (lets keep the Armistices). I like the old folks still running the show, but let's make a younger generation that they are grooming to take over. It will give us a chance at a different crowds for both night and day, old versus new.

I'd also like to make one of the bouncers a former member of the Sunfire Brigade, the Duke's own elite protection force, which a new organization I'm developing. It can be either of the guys you named. It's up to you which one. This will allow a good npc knowledge / guidance of that world for new characters, and also be the trailhead for events leading into that realm as well.

I really like what you've added with Syndi, and keeping Sapphire is good because of her knowledge of the sea and sailors.

As for the regulars, we'll need a couple of the bouncer's old army buddies, an old, one legged man name Nyk, that sits around and whittles driftwood all day, and some fishermen / merchant types.

Keep going! This is great stuff!
Last edited by Vanadius on Wed May 31, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

I have the feeling I'll enjoy helping out here! That's the best feedback I've gotten from a mod I'm trying to help!

I'll keep an eye out for any new information or plot/background info you post in the Coordination or Development forums - and update/adapt the NPCs accordingly. One thing that would really help lend some atmosphere is if we had a way to generate rumors. We could do this two ways, 1) you post a line or two of current information - which I then proceed to twist and mix and scatter about as necessary; 2) you give me a list of 'rumors' that you specifically want distributed.

I like the idea of old-day. new-night - that really helps give me a direction to align things with.

Thanks!

Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Okay: Further update.

My current vision for the Drunken Duck NPCs is to coordinate them with the town so you can use them elsewhere in plotlines as well (easier on you, less orphan NPCs). Feel free to change/suggest changes that would help this somehow.

I'd like to make the Tavern dynamic enough that any local PCs can hang out there on occassion and there's always something new happening - whether the cook is out sick and Sydni accidently flavored something with sugar instead of salt - or whether there is a bunch of Theater folk there discussing their newest play.

Based on your better familiarity with Dort, what kind of merchants would you like me to come up with? I'd like them to be NPCs you could theoretically use for other plots or other such mischief.

And finally, I've tried to create some connections between the NPCs above so that different kinds of characters can connect with them and get various kinds of information. Any additional ideas would be great.

When I'm done with this - if there are any other location descriptions that need re-writes, I'd be happy to help you with them. :)

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

You are right on target with that vision girl! That is precisely what I wanted, and your work here has been fabulous.

Old Nyk is perfect, and so are the personalities and NPCs that you developed! We'll add some more NPC's as we go as far as merchants and so forth. Violette is working on some more artistic - less heavy or dark plots to get some other types of player other than soldiers involved in the city and we'll plug in some of the stuff she comes up with. The "theatre folk" you have started is right in line with what she's doing. I have one merchant company in mind, but it's a bare bones idea that needs some flesh first. I'll get to that as we go.

Great work! Now, take over and let the players come!

We have one new PC in James Silverthorne, and sooner or later he'll make his way in there. He's had some RL struggles, but vowed that he would come back and play. He has a thread where he's already en route.

There is also a new PC, still not yet approved, that will be starting in Dort. I'll give you their name when they've been approved (there's been some discussion about changing it), so more details to follow on that person.

I'll repost your new new write up for the duck and assume that if anyone wanders in, that you'll be taking care of them. When they've had their fill (har har), we can talk about spinning them out into the plots.
There are 2 new city locations that I'd like to develop, and seeing as you've done so well on the Duck, I figured you might want a crack at them first as well.

The first is the docks & shipping area. It's called "Watertown" Watertown is essentially the inhabited area around the harbor. Docks, warehouses, trading guilds, merchant companies, security etc... all are down in Watertown. Trade is it's blood, and commerce is it's heart. This where some of the merchants and such will come from. Standing in the center is a large statue of Pecunia, and several prayers to her are offered throughout the day by tolling bells. A wide avenue will connect the trading square with the docks and piers of Watertown.

The 2nd is called "The Knot". It's going to be the highest crime area in the city, and home to Dort's underground. The Knot is essentially a labyrinth of twisting alleys, dead end streets and narrow avenues that are nearly impossible to navigate. It's a great place for ambushes and assassinations and is nearly, very nearly, completely outside the law of Dort. The Knot is connected to Watertown by way of several alleys and underground passages (the underground passages are completely unknown to most outsiders) and therefore on the fringes of Watertown. Organized crime, and the shady underworld call the Knot it's home, and there will be some underworld types running the cartels in Dort. One npc that I introduced with James Silverthorne is Jubal, a leader of one of the cartels.

Now! Go play! :wink:

Thanks!

V
Last edited by Vanadius on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Soon, could you fix the Drunken Duck description? This is the editted version, and we have the old one up instead. :oops:

Right off of Dort’s central market square, the Drunken Duck squats companionably between a large stable and a busy lane, a glowing bastion of friendly warmth tucked within its slightly bowed walls. The yellow-gold brick is slightly weathered but no less vibrant, it’s distinctive coloring more telling than the wooden sign which hangs stoically from the verandah: an etching depicts a tipsy bird, one wing wrapped about a tankard of sloshing ale.

The porch and verandah extend just a few paces beyond the doorway, allowing patrons a few sheltered paces before a grand entryway that might almost seem more suited to the theater across the Lane. Two large, leaded windows nearly eclipse the wide front door, catching and reflecting any light in the bits of multi-colored glass embedded there. Though there are no clear pictures in the fractured design, there is something almost cheery in the swirls of color found there.

The bright blue door opens into a large and spacious taproom well-lit by multiple windows and well-placed lamps. Regardless of tide, many of the tables hum with friendly or inebriated conversations, and a barmaid scurries about distributing tankards and bowls, returning sass or smiles as appropriate, though her smile softens any rebuke easily. Her hair is falling free from the haphazard bun at the nape of her slender neck as she bypasses the stairs that bisect the back wall, and pushes through the swinging door next to it.

The bar stretches along the entire wall opposite the stage, plain wooden stools lined neatly along its counter as a slightly portly man tends to those seated there. He exchanges comments with those near him, voice mixing with the genial atmosphere. With all the general sociability to be found here, one might almost miss the large figure perched at one end of the bar, a few tattoos peeking out from beneath the respectable but plain garb he wears. Quietly watchful, his eyes pause on any groups that might be getting a little rowdy.

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Done. Sheesh. I thought I had done that several times already! :oops:
Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Sorry, I think part of it is due to just how I grouped the info. :oops: Thanks!

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Transferred NPCs to Dort NPCs thread, and Brief History to Locations. Will wikify relevant bits later.
Last edited by Turi on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”