A Fresh Start (Sam. 28th)

Moderator: Mods

Mirany Elidan

A Fresh Start (Sam. 28th)

Post by Mirany Elidan »

On the same square as the Red Rose Guild and the Temple of Pan, The Bardic College stood, as it had for many yaren. A small doorway off the street led into a brightly lit antechamber dominated by a dark wooden desk. Behind the desk several doors opened into other parts of the college. The air of the chamber was scented with the fragrance of lavender, and something a bit sweeter, a light citrus smell of sorts. The walls were hung with a variety of tapestries, most depicting bards in various poses, but some showed battles of the past and other glorious events. The sound of the feet of those entering was muffled by the deep pile of the rug throw over the cold flagstone floor.

Sitting behind the desk was a small birdlike young man, busily scribbling in a ledger opened before him. Behind the desk the young man looked up from his scratchings, a look of mild surprise on his face. It seemed that he was not expecting visitors, or perhaps he had just been so engrossed in his work that he had forgotten where he was.

"Welcome to the Bardic College of the Citadel. How may I help you?" he asked, but then added quickly, "There are no concerts today."

Mirany stared at him, then recovered herself. "My name is Mirany Elidan," she explained. "I was hoping to attend the college." A pause, and then she added, "I don't have much money. I hope that isn't a problem."
And if it is, there's nothing to be done about it, she thought to herself. The point is to help my father, not drain his accounts--such as they are. The thought sobered her quickly and she tightened her grip on the handle of her worn leather sack. Inside it lay all of her worldly posessions. She wasn't worried that someone would steal them---she knew all the local pickpockets--but the thought that she might lose them was real enough. No matter how hard she tried, she could never seem to get organized.

Mira sighed. "Is there anything I have to sign?"
Last edited by Mirany Elidan on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

For a flicker the man's eyes seemed lost, before lighting up with a sort of recognition. "Oh... Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were not a colleague." Standing up, the young man offered his hand to Mira. Should she choose to accept it, his handshake would be firm, though it would leave her hand slightly dirty from the coal he was using to draw. "Hi, I am Joseph. Allow me to welcome you as a fellow student." Motioning towards a chair to the side he smiled. "Please sit and I'll explain." Waiting for her to take a seat or perhaps decline the offer, Joseph held his coal stained hands together, smiling. His hair was slightly tousled and he had a slightly sloppy appearance, though a faint scent of pine did emanate from his body.

"There is a small entry fee for the College and it comes down to two Coronets per year. It is used to pay for your room and as an insurance should you prove inept. After that you are expected to perform at concerts the College hosts and thus pay your tuition." He grinned. "Now, I'll need to go fetch a teacher so he can enroll you officially. So, tell me what instrument do you play? Or perhaps you are a singer? I need to know so I can call the right teacher to give you a small test to see if you have any talent." Winking, he leaned closer. "I am sure you do, but those are the rules."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

A small smile tweaked Mira's lips as she returned the man's handshake. "I can afford that much at least," she replied. "As for what I can play, I'm competent on the harp, the drum and the flute. Also, I can sing." She paused a moment, suddenly anxious. "A test? What happens if I fail? I've never taken a test before." To come so far just to fail now? her mind raced. They'll probably think I'm terrible. I'll have to play on the streets like a common minstrel. She bunched her skirts in sweaty hands. "I do know what I'm doing," she declared. "Mostly."
Last edited by Mirany Elidan on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Three instruments? Now that is something. Usually people come here with only rudimentary knowledge and then learn to play and sing and act at the College. We also have other types of education. For instance Master Filius Canta teaches heraldry. He has an amazing memory and is a wonderful story-teller as well." Jonah smiled and gazed towards one of the two doors in the back. "I'll tell you something. I'll go fetch Mistress Evian. She is the woodwind instructor and she is a very nice lady. Master Andorian has a bit of a temper and I think she would do better." He awaited to see if there were any other questions before scampering off.

It was no longer than a burn or two before Joseph was back, walking behind a rather tall, elderly lady who could be in her fifties. Her hair was still devoid of greys and she wore it in two braids that swayed all the way down her back. With curves in all the right places, she had a certain aged beauty about her still. Calm, serene eyes watched Mirany as the lady smiled at her, finally coming to a stop with hands clasped before her. "Hello, my dear. My name is Evian and young Joseph here tells me you won't to join our school. And he says you play the flute. I just love the way it can transfer the emotions." She motioned to a bench to the side, her eyes dismissing the other young bard. "Come, let us sit and tell me a bit about yourself. And then you can play for me so we can be done with formalities."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

Relief washed over Mira as she surveyed the older woman in front of her. The lady, Evian, had a way of immediately putting people at ease that the girl appreciated, and she removed her flute from her pack at once. "I'm Mira--or Mirany if you like," she explained. "I'm from around here. My father was a bard, so he taught me everything I know." A lump rose in her throat. "I suppose we'll see exactly how much that is."

With trembling fingers, she raised the flute to her lips. She could nearly hear her father's voice in her ears, telling her to relax and let her emotions come through in her music. The very thought of him calmed her frantic nerves and she began to play without another thought. The music washed over her, sweeping her away to the place she always found when playing, a place where the mundane things of this world seemed empty and poor. She didn't want the song to end, but it did, and she lowered her flute to her lap and watched the other woman's expression.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Windsong watched Mirany intently as she spoke of her origins and her father. She was curious as to whom her father was, but until she heard her music that question would wait. There were many mediocre performers all over Tazlure, but only few truly outstanding bards still walked the world. Even she was not amongst the great ones, even though she was fairly good. Navanod was one such man before he went away barely a week past. So with hands folded in her lap she nodded encouragingly at the girl before her, urging her to play.

A look of surprise was on her face as Mira finished her performance, the teacher remaining silent for a few flickers. Her silence cause even the young Joseph to look up. It was not the music itself that held Evian's attention. It was more than good, but not outstandingly so. It was the way the young girl held herself and the subtle emotions the Mistress detected flittering around the young bardess that caused her to pause. The girl obviously loved her trade and she enjoyed the act of creation. Evian even thought she detected a hint of sadness in her student to be near the end of the song. Almost as if she cried because the music had to end.

Finally she sighed and smiled widely. "That my dear was.... wonderful. You do still need some practice, but I can see a great talent in you. You seem to have that little something all great bards possess, the love of music and art. I think we can say it officially now. Welcome to Bardic College. Your father taught you very well." She smiled, looking at Mirany's bag. Joseph smiled behind the aged teacher and winked at the girl. "Now, tell me something. Do you have any more instruments in that bag? I would love to hear you perform. Or perhaps you can sing as well?" She was curious as to who her father was now, but that could wait till later. Right now it was time for art.
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

A thrill of pride surged through Mira at the bardess' words. Her tense muscles began to relax, and she smiled as she drew her harp out of her leather sack. "I can sing," she replied, drawing her fingers across the worn strings. She drew in a quick breath and began a ballad. Her fingers danced at across the strings and the sound of the harp with her voice filled her with a complete happiness that she rarely felt. Reality seemed incredibly distant as she immersed herself in the melody, and the same sadness washed over her as she ended the song.

Once she caught her breath, she said, "I can play drum, too, if you'd like to hear."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The teacher leaned back and closed her eyes as Mirany performed once more. Even Joseph left his own work and turned his attention towards the music and song that filled the room. Even though he was no more than a beginner himself, he could see the passion the girl put behind her notes, and feel the emotions in her voice. Evian herself sought to observe something else, watching the Aetheric strands to see if they danced, exploring whether there was a little bit of magick in the girls skill. She could detect none and her admiration of Mira's talent grew.

There was a clap from Joseph as the music ended, and Mistress Evian slowly opened her eyes and looked at her newest student. "My dear, if it will bring you joy I would love to hear it. Don't feel the pressure as you have already proven your skill. You have passion needed for a proper bard. For you the music is not just a set of tasks to be performed, but much, much more. It is lovely to see someone put so much passion into their performance. Now play and ask if you have any questions yourself."
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

Mira beamed and pulled her drum from her bag. "I can play one last thing for you," she said, without further adieu began to beat the notes of a dance her father had taught her years ago. She always enjoyed hearing the deep notes of the drum--there was something primal to it, something old and immovable that made her feel connected to something greater than herself. Her own spirit danced right along with the notes and she finished the piece with a flourish. Suddenly finding herself bereft of something to play, she asked the first thing that came to her mind.

"Where can I stay while I'm a student here? I've not much money to spare," she explained. I'll do what I have to in order to stay here, she silently vowed.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The drum was not one of Mistress Windsong's preferred instruments as she thought it was best used to accompany some other much more melodic instrument. She did however politely listen to Mirany's dance tune, though the previous delight was not there this time. She did smile near the end, noticing once more the passion with which the young girl played her pieces. Nobody else was attracted by her playing as barely any sound came into the room as well.

"Stay? Oh, right. Well, we offer lodgings for our students as well as meals during their stay at the College. You could choose to stay at an inn as well, but the choice is entirely up to you. You will probably share your room with another student, but that too depends on the number of them we have at the moment. I am sure Joseph can take care of that." Slowly she rose and smiled. "Now, is there something else I can help you with? If not, Joseph there will take care of you and show you to your new room. And explain your duties during your stay."
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

"No, no questions," Mirany replied, then added, "You've both been very kind. Thank you." The anxiety that had been like lead in her bones began to lift ever so slightly. She was on her way now, and she had no desire to look back to where she'd come from. Her father was the only detail of her old life that she missed, but there was nothing that could be done about that--this new venture had been his idea as much as it had been hers. Have faith in yourself,he had told her, and she was determined to prove that there was something to have faith in. It would be unbearable to let him down.

Mira stood to her feet with fresh determination in her veins. "When do classes start?" she asked.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The teacher simply motioned towards the boy and smiled one last time before leaving. Joseph simply moved to her side and pointed towards her sack. "You need help with that?" He waited to see if he could help with her belonging before turning and moving towards one of the doors near the back. "Follow me."

And they were off, through the door and down the long hall with one wall looking out to the inner yard, where a number of young students were just at practice, about half a dozen of them playing a tune on lutes, a grim faced man standing in front of them and listening with eyes closed. His features were slightly angular, his eyes slanted somewhat. Joseph slowed down and leaned closer to whisper. "That's Master Andorian, the string instruments instructor. He has a bit of a temper problem."

As if on cue, there was a strange pling coming from performing sextet and Andorian's eyes flew open. "Stop. No good. Again. No mistake this time. We stay till you get it right. Play." There was a slight groan from one of the students and the teacher stormed to him, keeping his face inches from the young man's face, screaming. "What?!?" The student gulped and stammered. "But, Master, we have been performing for two marks already. My... my fingers are almost bleeding." A harrumph as the teacher turned and went back. "They not be bleeding yet. I can use my switch to make it so. Now do you play or do I do that?"

There was a flicker of silence as the students looked at each other, and then one of then nodded, tapping his foot, first thrice and then four times, and the music started once more. Joseph shook his head and led Mirany near the back of the yard opening one of the doors to reveal a small, but neatly furnished room. A pair of beds stood to the sides, with a single long desk with two chairs facing a large window near the back. At the foot of each bed stood a small dresser, a small brass key on a chain in each lock.

"Here we are. I've got you an empty room, but if a new girl applies you'll have to share. Settle yourself and enjoy the day. Lessons will start tomorrow. I don't know what you would like to study so I don't know when they will be, but if you come to see me out in the foyer, I can look up the schedule and we can cook up something." With a last smile the boy was off, leaving Mirany alone to get her things settle, Master Andorian's voice once more splitting the air. "Again. No good. Play again. From start."
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

Mirany bit her lip hard. Her favorite instruments to play were flute and harp. Harp was a stringed instrument which meant....she gulped. Best not think about that. With one powerful gesture fueled by a mixture of anxiety and excitement she flung her pack on the bed, then began to hapharzadly empty its contents. She stopped and took care with her instruments--the gods knew she'd gotten enough lectures on that before--but the mundane things like clothes were left in a rumpled heap while she followed Joseph's path back to the foyer.

"Harp and flute and voice," she told him breathlessly. "If it kills me. If he kills me. That's what I'm going to do." She stopped abruptly to watch the young scribe's reaction. She desparately wanted to know her schedule--otherwise she'd be up all night worrying herself about it.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Though there was no hurry as such, Mirany speed enabled her to catch up with Joseph halfway to the foyer. He smiled, and hurried back, the pair followed by more angry shouts from Master Andorian. The man was a genius, his skill unmatched by any in the Citadel, but that did not give him an excuse to be a bastard. He did not need one, simply replicating the treatment he recieved from his own teacher. While Andorian might have yelled and threatened the students and had them trembling with fear at the mention of his name, he truly wanted them to learn. In the end it worked as the skill of his students was impecable. He made sure they were such.

Once they were back in the entry room, Joseph pointed towards a chair opposite the table and pulled a large sheet of paper from somewhere under the table. "Alright. You said harp, flute and voice, right? Both singing and story-telling, or just singing?" He kept moving over the schedule, making some notes on a piece of parchment next to it, jotting down this and that as he went. Slowly a chart was emerging there, ten by twelve field as he added this and that in various fields, filling it with the classes and duties.
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

Mira hedged. "Just singing for now, I think," she said. She certainly didn't know much about story-telling, but that could always come later. Right now, singing was far more important to her. In fact, her fondest memory was of her father singing her to sleep. She fingered the delicate points of her ears, remembering him. Aran Elidan was not much represented in his daughter's features (except for the tell-tale ears) but the music Mira loved so much had come from him. She knew without a doubt that she would not trade her music for good looks. She couldn't imagine wanting to trade her music for anything. Even the evil string master couldn't damage her resolve. Of course, she had yet to be in his classes....
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Joseph simply nodded, mumbling something about Konday and Waneday to himself, though the rest of the words were not comprehensible. There was a sudden 'HA' from him and he smiled, scribbling quickly upon the parchment, before raising his eyes. "Alright, I think I got something that should work. You'll be free today, but at the second hour of tomorrow's morningtide you have the Wind lessons. It will last three marks, then comes a one mark break and two marks of kitchen duty. You have those every other day."

He shrugged. "Then the day after you have the String lessons in the morning, followed by a mark of physical exercises. Master Andorian's lessons last three marks, so you should be done by the Tradetide. You get the rest of the day off. Then on Firstday you have the breathing exercises and once more kitchen duty as I said. Merday is for Singing lessons and you will be one of the entertainers at the lunch. Wydday is Strings once more, and guess what? Yes, it's kitchen duty. Joy joy joy. Anyhow, Tygday is a bit full, as you will have Win in the morning, followed by physical exercise, and then Singing after lunch. On Fryday you are free, except for kitchen duty, but I suggest you come to concert. Students perform then. Rasday is day off, and then you have both String and Winds on Lyrday. Konday is for breathing and Singing and yes, the dreaded Kitchen duty. And then all over again." He handed Mirany a parchment with her schedule and waited to see if there were any more questions.
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

Kitchen duty! Mira gulped. She was used to hard work, but that didn't mean that she actually enjoyed it...at least the music would make up for it. "Thank you," she told Joseph, and she meant it. She hadn't been under the delusion that the path she'd chosen was an easy one, so the schedule hadn't come as any great shock. Now if she could just organize herself, she should manage all right. Master Andorian was really the only fly in her ointment, but she could handle him (or so she told herself).

"Thank you," she repeated with a smile.

OOC: Her schedule is nowhere near as whacked as mine...:)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Oh, is it now? Well, it took a bit of time to make up you know.

Joseph smiled and chuckled. "You're quite welcome." The boy leaned closer placing his hand upon [b]Mira's[/]b shoulder. "Don't worry. It is not that hard here. You've got talent and you like music. Just remember that without hard work, talent is no use." His hand slipped from her shoulder and he moved back behind his table, fishing out some papers and sitting down. "Enjoy your day. I have to sit here for a full tide before I am off. You'll get to do that once you stay a bit longer. Real exciting as you'll see." The sarcasm in his voice was obvious, his smile weak, but still there.

OOC: Are we done here? Or is there something more you would like to do?
Mirany Elidan

Post by Mirany Elidan »

OOC: Done, unless you can think of something else.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Skillzed! - Finley

Return to “Inner City Archive”