Summoning: In His Element? - Samheen 28th MT

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Summoning: In His Element? - Samheen 28th MT

Post by Morg »

Morgan hadn't got much sleep that night. Luckily, he hadn't needed it; his epic three-tide sleeping binge on the 27th had given him all the rest he needed and then some. Instead he'd stayed up late, sitting up in bed and reading the book on elementals Octava had given him with as much concentration as he could muster. Round about the fourth mark of gravetide, the text had started doing funny things in his head, getting smaller and larger. Although the text itself had an enchantment on it to make the tiny writing legible, Morgan suspected that the problem lay with his eyes (or more likely his brain) and not with the book itself. Reluctantly he'd put the book aside and opted for some sleep. When he awoke, early on the 28th, after a spartan breakfast he made his way back to the professor's study. On the way he mentally ticked off the things he needed.

Book: check. Chalk (probably): check. Brain: check. Er...

He was unable to think of anything else immediately, which turned out to be a good thing, as he'd arrived outside the study. Knocking gently, he opened the door and stepped inside.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The door opened at Morgan's knock to reveal the comfortably cluttered office of Professor Octava. The main addition was a wooden cart upon which was piled a variety of chalks, powders, and liquids in jars. Next to those were a variety of bowls, braziers, mortars, pestles, and a few knives and sickles of different sizes and materials.

"Ah, good morning my pupil." Octava greeted him as Morgan entered. Octava weighed the two items in his hands, a green fruit and a block of sweet smelling resin, for moment then added them both to the cart with a shrug.

"I couldn't decide what quanta and fauna of creature we should summon this morn and so I decided to bring a bit of everything and see what we decided on when we get there. I don't suppose you have a preference based on your reading?"

From his reading, Morgan knew that elementals were a varied lot. The so called pure elementals embodied one element only. They were supreme examples of that element but greatly vulnerable to their opposites. They were also intellecually limited beings, not stupid merely ignorant of much outside their sphere of influence. The composite elementals are made of combinations of energies. As a result they are more knowledgable and flexible in their abilties but not as powerful in any one as a pure elemental would be.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

The cheerful Octava always brought a smile to Morgan's face. From the professor's demeanour, and the items present in his little cart, the atmosphere in the room was less like they were going to summon a powerful being and more like they were going to bake a cake. He felt like rubbing his hands together in glee. Well, let's get cooking.

Morgan shook his head. "I'm not sure..." he muttered. "It's a choice between greater raw power in the pure elementals, I suppose, and more awareness in the composite beings." He mused silently for a few flickers. "I think that I'll opt for one that's a combination. After all, I want to be able to hold my own against daemons in the end, and that would usually involve being able to handle something that's capable of outmanouevring me mentally as well as overwhelming me with pure force. What combinations would you advise?"

He'd initially wanted to summon a being of Earth, since that was the energy he was most familiar with using, but he'd decided against that. He needed experience of facing the unknown. Besides, there was always the chance than an Earth elemental, when faced with Morgan, a Mother-worshipper and reasonably proficient wielder of Earth energies who'd been brought up in close contact with the land, might end up being friendly to him instead of hostile, which would be rather annoying, as it would rob him of the chance of pitting his wits against an opponent. "A being made up of Air and Water sounds like it could be interesting," he said instead.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"A Storm Spirit." Octava nodded. "That is a common elemental to summon. Many mages and shamans have sought rituals to bring rain over barren fields or to strike down a navy with wind and wave." Octava turns back to his shelves and adds a few more bottles to the cart. "Ideally we would summon such a spirit on shipboard or on the shore at least, but the conjuration circle on the roof of the conjury tower should suffice since anywhere on the isle is somewhat close to the ocean. Summoning one from the dungeons would prove difficult. Too much wind and water to pull through the earth."

Octava moved from the cart and walked out of his office. "Come along then Morgan. Much to do!" He called out.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Storm Spirit? Morgan grinned. Bring it on. Hopefully one of its abilities wouldn't be to simulate seasickness, though. He'd had enough of that on the boat journey from Dort to last a lifetime.

Another consideration it was always worth Morgan ramming further into his skull: different energies, different places. Going to the top of the tower would prove an experience in itself. He expected there'd be a hell of a view. Rubbing sleep from his eyes, he began to march after Octava.

"Don't we need anything from the cart?" he asked as the thought occurred to him.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Of coure we need things from the cart." Octava called back without slackening his pace. "But we'd never get it up the tower steps now would we?" He pointed out. "Some mages would make a cart that shrinks and carry it up or make the cart fly up the steps on its own. I however am I conjurer. So I painted a linking rune on the cart and will summon the whole thing to us when we reach the top of the tower."

Octava led Morgan sprialing up the tower of Conjury. They passed other doors with brass plaques proclaiming other professor's offices. They passed a few labs with carved circles in the floor gathering dust. Then they reached the very top and Octava pushed open the trapdoor.

This tower was topped with an onion dome but an open one. The dome only touched the top of the tower at four support sites leaving the rest open to the air. The view of the isle and the surrounding ocean was spectacular. Even Octava took a moment to enjoy the view before getting down to business.

In the center of the tower roof was a generic looking summoning circle carved into the floor. It bore a six pointed star and at each point was a series of runes carved around it. Morgan recognized those from this reading. They were enhancer rune contructs designed to amplify whatever wards were laid down by the summoner. So this circle was set with no wards but stood ready to enforce whatever Morgan and Octava drew.

With a beckoning gesture Octava summoned the cart to the top of the roof. "Now Morgan before we get down to the nitty gritty of the summoning you have a decision to make. When this spirit is summoned it is going to demand to know why I have summoned it. We then have two options before us. I can simply compel it to subdue you and then you can defend yourself as best you can. Alternatively, we can offer it a deal. We ask it to test your skills in return for the winner gaining a prize. What would you be willing to offer it if you lost and what would you hope to gain from it if you won?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan stopped considerably longer than the professor to survey his surroundings. Ocean in almost every direction... for a moment he could almost believe that the Citadel itself was just one great ship, navigating the waters of Tazlure. As the thought was starting to make him seasick, he put the thought out of mind, but filed it away for future reference. From Morgan's perspective, it made no difference what the Citadel was, so long as he could keep on learning there.

He frowned upon hearing the two options. Morgan was caught between two conflicting imperatives. On the one hand, he didn't like relying on anyone else any more than he needed to; he was a sucker for independence. On the other, he disliked mercantilism of any kind, and Octava's second suggestion sounded awfully like bargaining. It didn't take him long to make up his mind, though. The second option's just so much more interesting. Besides, it's not really bargaining. Just the exchange of advantages for mutual gain.

"I'd prefer the second option," Morgan replied confidently. It didn't take much thinking to work out what he wanted from the Spirit, either. "If I won... would it be possible to request the elemental's help at a later date? With a task of my choosing."

The second part was more difficult. What in the Seven Isles do I have that a Storm Spirit might want? Morgan had brought little with him from Dort, and was sure that the elemental wouldn't be interested in money, nor in his rather rakish broad-brimmed leather hat or other accoutrements. He was equally sure that he didn't possess any information of value to such a being. Morgan remained silent for several flickers while pondering the possibilities.

Of course, there's always the obvious. But that's a ridiculously stupid idea... Nevertheless, the young mage found himself saying it. "I'd be prepared to offer the same to the elemental if I were defeated. My aid in a future task, such as it is."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Octava nodded in agreement. "That is a safe level of exchange for one of your skills. Just so you know, should it accept a task for a task the elemental will demand its payment right away. You can summon the elemental when you require its aid. The elemental cannot summon you and thus will want a payment before it returns to the Aether. You have more to offer it that you think. Remember that any magic outside of its elements is impossible for it." Octava reminded Morgan. "Now let's get to work."

The next few marks were spent enchanting the enscribed circle in the tower roof. With the chalk and the door of Pan's temple, Morgan remembered that the wards fought joining with the energies of earth. Setting the ward was as much a challenge as crafting it. Here, the craved circle was hungry for the wards. In a few cases, Morgan had to snatch his energies back before a half formed ward was laid. Octava and Morgan laid down wards against air and water and lightning both to hold it in the circle and prevent its marshalling those energies against them. The circle was laced with the energies of earth rising high above the circle to the dome above to prevent it from simply bypassing the circle by going over it. Within those wards, Ocatava planted visions of deserts and salt flats and other dessicated hells the storm spirit might fear.

After all the warding and guarding, the summoning ritual was quite a contrast. Braziers were lit and fed with sweet smelling incense to perfume the air. Metal bowls of water similarly laced with strong scents were placed atop them to moisten the air. A cycle of rotating air was set in motion to warm it over the braziers and then send it up into the cooling air above and soon a pale wisp of clous was formed. The wards were the stick but for the elemental to arrive it must be drawn in by the carrot.

"I have not a true name to call such a sprit, else the enticements would not be necessary. The spirit would be compelled to appear. Even then of course there is wisdom in providing a pleasing enviroment. So we shall send forth the call and see if any beings answers. If have any preparations you wish to make before the summoning and the subsequent testing, make them now." Octava instructed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

The young student stepped back from his handiwork and sighed in satisfaction.

The last few marks had been hard, but rewarding. The enhancer runes thrilled Morgan. Here he wasn't trying to tie thick ropes of energy to thin air, as it had been at the Temple. If anything, the opposite was true: the hungry runes often hauled the ropes right out of his hesitant hands, giving him a strange sensation of Aetheric rope-burn.

Bit by bit the wardings took shape, reminding Morgan of a gate he'd painted when still in Dort. First the base coat was added: the defence against the elemental's innate powers. Next, in several thin layers, came the surface coat of protections designed to stop the spirit from leaving the circle: physical and mental barriers.

The summoning itself was a completely different kettle of fish, unlike anything magical that Morgan had ever previously attempted. For these tasks he resigned himself to carrying out Octava's instructions without comment, although he was fascinated by the procedure. The Dortman had imagined that the actual summoning would be a simple matter of clicking one's fingers, or reaching a magical hand into the Aether and dragging the spirit out kicking and screaming. It seemed that such a thing was not possible without a name - or at least not practical. In any case, Octava was right, and he had no wish to antagonise the spirit unnecessarily. In fact, he was rather hoping that it would be understanding and tolerant of Morgan's desire to have a go at bashing it about the head with his magic.

To the professor's question, Morgan replied with a shake of the head. Closing his eyes, setting his feet apart and letting his arms hang by his sides, the boy tried to block out the rising sights, sounds and smells of the Citadel around and below him, concentrating on himself and his own place amid the energies. Once he was satisfied with his state of mind, he reopened his eyes and allowed the world to seep back in around him, making sure that his own connection to that world, and his shield against hostile energies, were intact. Although he had little experience with shielding, he knew that it made sense for his personal shield to be strong during the summoning, in case anything went wrong and the spirit broke free or the warding energies somehow lashed back against him.

"I'm ready," he said.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

To tear a hole in the fabric of the Tether was not a trivial act. There was a reason why even the gods needs to channel their energies through the contruct of a portal to manage the trick. The Aether was all energies at once. The Tether was rarely so. So to cross that boundary, Octava summoned all energies to merge at a single point at the center of the wards. Air, light, and water were trivial to add and Octava passed those weaves to Morgan to maintain. Then Octava began again: fire, earth, shadow, life, death, space, and time were all added to the mix and again passed to Morgan to maintain once the weaves were established. Yet Octava added still more energies to the mix that Morgan had no name for as he had never seen them. These Octava kept for himself and then he retrieved the rest from Morgan.

From this tiny nucleus of Aether the portal swiftly grew. Morgan saw a rippling effect as it spread and Morgan looked on another world. Octava called forth words of entreaty and words of command into the swirling void. The language was unknown yet Morgan knew from the tone of the words what was said. For long burns nothing answered their call. Then all at once the portal was filled with a thick mist that poured through and Octava swiftly closed the portal.

The mist was dark and angry. It roiled and churned within the bounds of the ward. Each time it encountered a barrier, Morgan saw little flashes of light arc within its body. Octava wiped the sweat from his brow and stood tall once more, waiting calmly. The sweet vapors eventually served their purpose and the mist flowed more and more calmly. It gathered itself together in the center of the ward and a pair of sizzling white dots glared at the pair of them. They were eyes only in the sense that they were about a rough gash in the cloud where a voice like thunder boomed at them.

By what right do you summon me? It demanded.

"By no right." Octava replied simply. "I invoke no compact, I speak no names, and I conjure no magics of compelling."

Then you seek to bargain! The being exclaimed. Name the terms!

"My apprentice seeks to test himself against you." Octava called back. "If he bests you, you are his for one service. If you best him, he offers the same. Either way, you shall be returned from whence you came."

The entity only considered for a flicker. Agreed! Release me and the contest shall begin!

Octava gave Morgan a look over his shoulder. "Good luck." Octava stretched forth a hand and dropped the wards.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

As the portal opened, Morgan looked longingly at the swirling world beyond. Oh, to go there, to see what these beings see. The convergence of the diverse energies at a single point gave Morgan an incredible feeling of rightness, which only grew as did the portal. What lay beyond was fascinatingly alien to him, so much so that he almost lost concentration on the comparatively prosaic task of trying to identify the unknown energies that Octava was drawing upon.

If the professor's well-placed reprimand the evening before had served to remind the briefly overconfident Morgan of his own juniority, his deft manipulation of energies beyond the boy's knowledge rammed it home without a shadow of a doubt. There was still a long, long way to go before Morgan could hope to summon on his own, or even to lead a group in summoning. He swallowed his pride, although not his ambition.

The brief exchange between Octava and the spirit reached him with crystal clarity, but even so it made little great impact. Morgan was using every fraction of a flicker to observe the spirit and to assess the threat it posed. Lightning within it... must keep my shield strong. A flicker was spent intensifying it further. The summoning student knew little of lightning and its effects, other than the devastation it caused, and so had to trust in his shield, a second, magical skin not a finger-width above his first.

Morgan returned Octava's look with a smile. "Thank you," he responded as the wards fell and he stepped forward. His right hand was already rising. To it he gathered a good-sized handful of heat energy from the surroundings and sent it streaming towards the Storm Spirit.

The attack was a test, and far from Morgan's full strength; most of his concentration was still on his shield. He wanted to see the spirit on the offensive before he committed himself fully against an opponent whose ways were still mostly unknown to him. In effect, he was giving the elemental the first move.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The storm spirit moved like the lightning it wielded. Before Morgan could do more than grab the strands of heat, a fork of lightning slammed into his shield and knocked him back a step. His shield held firm but every hair of his body stuck out and tingled. His grip remained firm on the strands of energy and his counterattack swept forth.

The storm spirit lacked the kind of shielding that Morgan could conjure but it was fast and it had the sea and the sky to draw upon. Effortlessly, a patch of water formed before the elemental and the heat was drawn into it. The water boiled away as it so leaving the spirit again unprotected.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

So Morgan didn't need to give the spirit the first move. It was more than capable of taking that all by itself. The student winced as the bolt of energy pounded into his defences.

His own offensive proved equally ineffectual, as he'd anticipated. The flip side of the coin as far as the location was concerned, he realised, was that the elemental would have more of its own favoured energies at its disposal. Well, he could see no way of depriving it of those energies, so he'd just have to find a way to work around the problem. A plan was already forming in his mind.

As fast as he could safely manage, Morgan began to move around the edge of the circle containing the spirit, dodging and weaving a little in an attempt to evade its lightning strikes. He could use the surroundings, too, and he remembered that braziers had been placed around the circle, holding pots of scented water to attract the being. Once he'd positioned himself so that a brazier lay between him and his opponent, he gave the floor underneath the brazier a sharp rap of earth energy, trying to upend it so that its fiery contents went spinning towards the spirit - aided by another blast of fiery heat.

Then he just tried to avoid being frazzled before he could implement the second part of his plan...
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Dodging lightning was usually a futile endeavor as most are struck by it in the same moment they notice the bolt. Morgan had the advantage of Aetheric sight and had a flicker of time between the summoning of the lightning and the surging forward of the bolt. He avoided the brunt of the attacks but it was good his shields were strong.

Morgan grabbed hold of the strands of earth and urge them upward. Watching from a distance, Octava nodded in agreement at the choice of earthen magics then paled as he realized Morgan's intentions.

"Morgan! No!" The warning came too late. The brazier went flying towards the spirit and second twist of flame weaves directed the power of the flame at the spirit. Once more a watery shield was conjured forth to absorb the evaporating flame only this time the size of the spirit shrunk slightly as it had to put more of itself into the defense. Then Morgan saw the reason for Octava's warning. The brazier fell to the ground across the wards they had painstakingly etched. Colored runes were obscured and made useless by dark soot. The spirit was free.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

The student's stomach did a backflip as he realised his mistake. In that flicker all that was crossing his mind was I really, really, really should have known that was going to happen. So the elemental was now free. Morgan could only hope that it would remain bound at least by the agreement they'd made when it was summoned. Fortunately it didn't affect his own intentions in the slightest... yet.

His eyes darted to the metal bowl that had been atop the brazier when it fell, and his shielded body followed suit. Leaping over to the bowl, he tried to lay hands on it - drawing a few threads of cold to his fingertips, for the bowl was likely to still be uncomfortably warm to the touch. Once he had the vessel in his left hand, it was time to act.

Making sure that he was firm on his feet, Morgan sought the heaviest, most bulky ropes of air energy in the vicinity. By using air magic he was playing to one of the Storm Spirit's strengths, but his hope was that he would be able to neutralise this disadvantage by doing something that the being didn't expect. He hastily formed the energies into something roughly corresponding to a net, or a lassoo, around the spirit - and then yanked it heavily towards him, reeling in the ropes of air as best he could. Morgan wasn't pulling any punches this time, even diverting some energy from his shield and funnelling it into the brute force of his weave.

The incorporeal nature of the spirit may have been an asset in protecting it from most mundane attacks, but Morgan's intention was to use it against it here. If the elemental could be sucked in, Morgan would tighten the net around it before attempting to slam the whole thing into the bowl in his hand, and once there to bind the cords of air around it using as many knots as Morgan could remember from his farmyard days.

With the amount of energy the young man was trying to wield, this would be an all-or-nothing gambit, and he knew that his weakened defence would likely fail if subjected to much more pummelling... but if he succeeded, then he would be holding in his hands an urban legend: a storm in a teacup.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Morgan had chosen a dangerous gambit indeed. By choosing the energies of air, Morgan reduced the battle to a straight contest of wills where his enemy was strongest. Morgan had the stronger mind by far but the elemental worked air as easily as Morgan could walk. Morgan cast forth his net and the elemental slithered through the holes in the weave effortlessly.

Before Morgan could react, lightning flashed out and pierced Morgan's weakened shield. Every muscle in his body spasmed at once and he felt himself falling. Morgan never remembered hitting the ground but he was on the floor pinned there by heavy winds and the lightning gaze of the elemental.

Yield! It demanded.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan found lying on the floor to be a perfect opportunity for some simple reflection.

Morgan, Morgan, Morgan. You don't use air energy when you're fighting an elemental of air.

But...

No. No buts. You DON'T use AIR energy when you're fighting an ELEMENTAL of AIR.

Not even if...

No. Clearly not. Now shut up with all this thinking and surrender, fool.

What irked him most was that this was a fight he could have won. He hadn't been outmatched, else Octava would never have agreed to the confrontation, and he certainly hadn't been outsmarted, so it was difficult to blame anything other than his own incompetence for this defeat. He'd taken a risk he didn't have to take - a risk that even at the time he could have analysed as plain stupidity - and suffered for it.

Still, he took it philosophically. As philosophically as it's possible to take anything when your nerves are still twitching spasmodically and your hair is standing on end. He'd learned a lesson, that was for sure, and in the best possible way: by experiencing the consequences of failing to apply its teachings. He loathed failure. Nothing gave Morgan a greater incentive to get something right next time.

He coughed, and moved on to regretting that he hadn't taken the opportunity to visit the toilet before going up the tower. "I yield," he responded meekly.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The winds pulled back and the lightning gaze of the elemental left him. The next thing he knew, Morgan found himself lying on a cot covered by a warm blanket. The air was heavy with sweet herbs and woodsmoke.

"Awake at last my dear?" A cheery female voice cooed. A petite woman of middle yahren wearing a white robe sat in a chair quietly observing him. "Don't try to move too much. You've been out for about a mark." She rose from the chair and moved over to one of the racks of colored jars looking for something. "I'm Mender Abagail." She introduced herself. "And you were on the wrong side of a lightning strike so I'm told."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

"More or less," Morgan croaked in response. I've been unconscious? Damn. The thoroughly beaten Morgan had at least wanted to see what would happen next. How Octava would deal with the now-freed elemental, and what the being would demand of him after his clumsy slip-up.

It wasn't that he'd done anything in particular wrong, really. More that his original plan was entirely flawed from the outset, which was much worse. Now he was divided between wanting to seek out Octava immediately - he had a multitude of questions - and wanting to crawl away into a hole and never see him again. After all, he'd pleaded eloquently for a chance to test his skills, been granted a lesser opportunity and still managed to screw it up so royally that the professor had had to haul his arse out of the fire.

In the end, Morgan elected to go for neither option, instead simply following Abagail's advice and lying still where he was, emitting a heartfelt groan. He'd return to the professor eventually, of course; past experience told him that his embarrassment would be fleeting, but that what drove him to learn would remain. And he knew that, sooner or later, he'd be back up that tower for another go. Okay, Storm Spirit. Best of three?

"What happened?" he asked lamely. "Where's the Professor... Octava?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"He brought you down here about a mark ago with your hair standing on end and barely conscious. Looked rather tired himself actually." Abagail commented over her shoulder while rooting through the shelves. "Aha. Gotcha!" Abagail stood on tip toe to grab a bottle of white powder at the back of the shelf. She took out a heaping spoonful of the stuff and stirred it into a mug of steaming liquid on her desk and then handed it to Morgan.

"Here drink that. You'll feel better." Abagail urged him. "Fortunately for you, the strike that hit you was designed to disable. You don't even have a burn where it entered." Abagail shook her head in amazement. "Oh before I forget, Professor Octava left a message for you. He said that your debt has been paid and that clean-up on the roof is your job." Abagail turned curious eyes to Morgan but doesn't ask.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan returned the Mender's curious glance with one of his own. He paid off my end of the bargain with the elemental? This was something he had to ask Octava about. At least, assuming that the professor would even deign to talk to him after his débacle atop the tower. "I made something of a mess up there," he said to Abagail by way of explanation, wincing at the thought.

Gratefully the warding student took the mug in quivering hands and sipped gingerly at the liquid within. "Thank you," he rasped after some had trickled down his throat. "When can I... move again?"

No doubt Abagail was used to seeing students wanting to be up and about again at the earliest possible opportunity. For his part, Morgan wasn't one to leave a job undone for too long, even one as anal as clearing up the chaos he'd initiated at the top of the summoning tower. Such things hung over him like dark clouds. As soon as the Mender gave him the go-ahead, he'd be out of the cot and up the stairs to the scene of the crime.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Despite the fact that the mug he was given was steaming, the liquid itself cooled his throat, the cold taking the place of heat mere flicker after it trickled past his lips. She waited till he had drank half of it before she even deigned to offer a reply. "You seem like you can move now. But I would remain in bed at least until you are done with that mug." She smiled and shook her head. "You are not going to evade the clean-up that easy. Professor said he wanted it done by tonight. I think he needs it for something." Then, pressing her lips together, she added. "I don't think he would mind if you went to him first for a little talk. He did not look upset when he brought you. Just tired."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Despite not being the hugging type, Morgan felt a very strong urge to hug the Mender there and then. She was being so nice to him... and his real mother was a long way away, back in the Midlands of Dort. Well, after his experience with the elemental he felt like either hugging someone or bursting into tears, and he possibly didn't have the energy required for the latter. The only thing that stopped him from embracing Abagail on the spot was the half-full mug of restorative liquid that he held in one hand. Instead he tried out his control of a different set of facial muscles in attempting to beam widely at her. "Thank you," he repeated, still somewhat hoarsely but really meaning it. "And getting out of the job wasn't what I was thinking... honestly. I simply don't want to break myself any more than I have to," he admitted humbly.

Morgan reclined back into the cot and simply lay there for a while longer, periodically sipping at the cooling liquid. While he was there, he gradually practised flexing all his muscles individually, from his toes up to his scalp and back down to his fingertips, making sure he had full control of them, as if it were the first time he'd ever used them. Recovering from a lightning strike was not a pleasant experience. Eventually, once he was sure that most of him was in working order, he slid his legs carefully over the side of the cot and stood up. Once he'd gathered all his clothes and belongings to him, he set off to figure out where he was in the labyrinth of towers and tunnels that was the University of Magick.

Eventually he found his way back to Octava's room and stood outside the door, as he'd found himself doing so often in recent days. This time, however, he wasn't seeking knowledge, or to better himself - or at least these things were not uppermost in his mind. Instead he was simply there to apologise. "Professor, sir?" he called after knocking. Where'd that "sir" come from? You've known the man most of a tenday, and you've never called him "sir" before, nor has he ever asked you to! "It's me. Morgan. I just wanted to say sorry for what happened earlier today."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Abigail merely smiled when Morgan assured her he was not trying to evade his chores, patting his head gently and leaving him to tend to her other patients. For, despite all the precautionary measure, the University was a dangerous place and both students and teachers did get hurt. Magick was quite useful when applied correctly, but the difference between the rest of the world and University was that here people use the magick on a daily basis. Even when it was not necessary to accomplish a task. They practiced and the more one used magick, the more likely it became that he would make a mistake.

Professor's door was already open when Morgan came to it, someone's hum audible from within, coming from the wall to the right of the door. "Well, come in. Don't just stand there." Within the Professor stood, shuffling through some books, seemingly searching fro something. He did not appear hurt or even overly tired, though his hair was a mess, as were his robes. "Is the tower top cleaned up already?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Not yet," Morgan replied. "I was just on my way up there. I thought I'd drop in to apologise." He sighed. His empty stomach was scrunching itself up into a ball, and he couldn't meet the professor's eyes. "I really screwed up this morningtide, and all after badgering you so that I could get the opportunity. I suppose what I mean to say is... I won't presume to be a better judge of my own abilities than you, in future. Whatever obstacles you throw in my path, they'll be obstacles of your choosing."

These were hard words for the young mage to speak. In less than a tenday he'd been introduced to a power he'd only previously known in his dreams, and he'd used it to best foes he'd only previously known in his nightmares. It was therefore only natural that he'd be on something of a high as far as confidence was concerned. Learning magic and learning humility were uncomfortable bedfellows at the best of times.

"I do have one question, though," he continued. "I don't deserve to have it answered, but... the bargain we made with the Storm Spirit. Well, I fairly conclusively lost the test, so... what did it ask for in return? What was the service it demanded?"

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”