Demon Hunt: Seeking the Enemy - Samheen 28th GT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Demon Hunt: Seeking the Enemy - Samheen 28th GT

Post by Tristam »

Those that answered the call were a varied lot. Grizzled veterans of strikes against darkness rubbed shoulders with callow youths full of enthusiasm and lacking the fear that comes with experience. The most different were the guant followers of the One standing aloof in their robes of white as Professor Moore began his ritual. In the end though, it mattered not why or how they had come. They were united in one purpose. The lord of the Nether that infected this isle must be destroyed.

A half-giantess sat by his side. Cross-legged on the ground she was almost as tall as the Professor standing. She folded her hands over her well pregnant stomach and channeled her energy into Professor Moore to hold him steady through his task. The spell of Moore's was simple in prinicple but grand in scope. Sinking into a trance his awareness would encompass all of the isle of Citadel. Working of their own accord, his hands would furuiously sketch the buildings and streets of the city marking the self made map with arcance symbols and signs of all the sources of power within the city. The part of the city marked with a thick black spiral would mark the demon's new home.

Long burns stretched into a mark as the sound of charcoal scribbling on parchment filled the crowded room. The outer ring appeared in incredible detail on the parchment. Any that could glimpse it would recognize the Bower Market and the Harbour and the twisty streets that connect them and homes of the downtrodden. Sweeping outward, the professor sketched out a lonely promontory of rock and upon it the unmistakable shape and beacon of a lighthouse. But instead of shining light this building was draped in a deep dark spirial. The Professor continued to sketch as the depth of the trance made him oblivious to his success.

The assembled heroes now had their direction. The demon would be battled at Carling's Point.

-------------------------

OOC: OK Demon Hunters! This is the pre thread where you all get to share any demon smacking advice or thoughts you might have. So as to avoid the headache of a twelve person discussion, please dispense any information you have as a summary or bullet point list and save the discussion for when you are broken up into your various groups. Thanks.

Tristam
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Dianissiya E'Dorian

Post by Dianissiya E'Dorian »

Dory was there among the first. Though she hardly knew any one around, and still knew close to nothing about what the task that ley ahead of them, it never stopped her. On the contrary, it maid her come early and bring a little something for taking notes. This gathering promised to bring a whole lot of new things to learn. And the last thing she wanted, was to forget something important, and writing stuff down always did make it easier to remember.

People were still gathering and it seemed they would wait till everybody was present before anything important was said. And Dory used the few moments she had to look for any familiar faces she might find. Or any company that she might blend in to.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The tall Adhiel stood close to Professor Moore and watched the continued weaving with interest. His green eyes scanned the room, and he shook his head when he saw yet another youth that could die in this quest. As he surveyed the room the Mentor knew beyond any doubt that many of those standing here had never faced a daemon before.

As leader of the Mage Hunters, the group that hunted creatures of the Nether that were drawn to the University, he had some experience. And he had faced them before he had ever arrived in the Citadel... No, many of these youngsters wouldn't look so eager if they really knew the terror that a daemon could inspire.

The sorcerer's thoughts wandered back to the Temple of Pan and the battle that had been fought there. The foul taint of the Nether, he would never get used to its chill tough, to the sickening ripples of perverted energy that caressed the mind. He shook his head again, hoping that none of these young ones with their bright faces would die. How many would find the light in their eyes dimmed forever, the wizard wondered...
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin too stood not far from his tutor. Professor Moore was working the incantation, using magic that he had used before, but this time it was on a much grander scale.

Corbin could feel the tense nervousness in the room, and he knew that it was quite possible that not all present would be returning. Indeed on his two encounters with the demon and its lair, people had died - first Bregana, and then a number of Purple Guardsmen. No doubt the demon, in its final throes, would seek to destroy all it could. Well then, so be it. If it was Corbin's turn to die he would face it with the steadfastness that had been bred into him. His face was marked with a grim resolution. Was he afraid? Perhaps. Indeed many of those present would be. But none would admit it, and rightly so. Fear was simply an unimportant emotion that needed to be faced and conquered - and Corbin had done that hours before in his meditation.

Keen, Corbin's unique blade, hang loosely at his side. He imagined if the demon got close enough to him that it was required then all would be lost. But it may have slaves with it, and they could be dispatched with it - his magic would be kept in reserve until the last moment that it could be.

When it seemed appropriate Corbin began to speak. His voice was confident, and loud enough to carry to all those present.

"For those of you that have not faced this demon I shall offer you my experiences of it. It is not a solid thing, it more resembles a gelatinous blob. It can turn liquid and soak away, or do so that ordinary blows have no affect. Thus I suspect that to finish it, we must contain it first and allow it no opportunity to escape. Only then will we be able to focus our combined effort on it, that we may bring about its destruction once and for all." He said, offering one thought on strategy.

"As well as this it has the power to possess people. Make no mistake - the person possessed still resides in the body, but has no control over it. They are embued with strength and speed above that of a normal human, and thus must be considered dangerous. I would suspect the demon will have surrounded himself with such creatures, but from what I am aware it draws no power from them so we should not be too distracted by them. If they can be held off whilst the demon is destroyed then they will be dealt with."

"The demon may well try to possess one of us, but I suspect that it will be too concerned with using its powers to fend us off to do that. Perhaps it will try at first to do it - maybe even before we are close to it, so we should all be on the look out to detect a change in the behaviour of those around us, and if you feel its malevolent influence you must speak up immediately so it can be countered." Corbin said strongly.

"I know I have little experience with magic - less than many here, but I have faced the demon and felt it look into my very soul. But not only that, I have seen it take one of my closest friends, and a student of the University. For that, and its many, many crimes against the Citadel, we must destroy it and save our city from its evil touch." He said, before falling silent.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

A twist of a smile played on Jolanda's lips as she watched the pregnant half-giantess, she heard pregnant women had prophetic dreams and wondered what this giantess dreamed of. So this is how it happens...

Jolanda too had seen the daemon, she did not think it able to be beaten, she supposed everyone, every man woman and child of the citadel would succumb to its power and slay each other, just as the daemon had made the whore kill the waiter at the Divale. These were the last days of life as anyone had known it - and Jolanda had decided if she was to die, she would going to damn well have a good seat doing in.

She listened to Corbin, and from what he said she knew he was not bluffing, he had seen the ooze too, he was still alive. She supposed that was because the daemon was not interested in him.

"It shall expect a show of force..." She had suggested various tactics to Rosalie and Kaspar before, her ideas had been dismissed, too she had quizzed Ulder, but he dismissed her as worthless. Thus it was that Jolanda expected that no-one would listen to her again... but did that matter anymore, they would all be dead soon. "More than once is has made strong and skilled men look like babies so futile their efforts against it have been. At the Divale, well, neither the legionnaires nor city watch were able to do a thing against it... it came , it took what it wanted, it left. It shall be expecting us, it has had days to prepare... we need to do something it is not preparing for. What do all creatures of power want? Adoration. It shall not be expecting a band of worshipers, of converts to it's ways to arrive... perhaps by doing so we may buy a little time to try to discover it's weakness."

Jolanda's expression was flat... anger simmered within her.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

The familiar, silent shadows...

...The Dark Enchantress was standing in the shadows alone, listening, her cerulean eyes intent and staring fixed upon the map Professor Moore was weaving. Part of her wanted to gloat triumphantly when she saw the traces of darkness and shadows enveloping parts of the Citadel, yet part of her trembled that such darkness was at hand, her cerluean eyes glistening wickedly, her small, red lips smiling venomously.

It has began. A voice whispered inside her, recognizing the taint of darkness that was spreading upon the Citadel.

Yes, it has began. Her own voice agreed triumphantly, her eyes still glued upon the map and the focal point of darkness.

She would have wanted to laugh out loud, her voice flittering upon the room, only etiquette saved her for she had a profound respect for the ritual Professor Moore was doing. She respected the Ritual, the Art, the Craft, the Essense, the Aether, but not the Professor.

You're all gonna die... Her wicked, blue eyes lifted from the map and turned those cerulean orbs one by one to the faces before her, her voice in a sing-song tone, singing the lyrics like a nursery rhyme. You're all gonna die... You're all gonan die... Her red lips parted and smiling mockingly, silently mouthing along with the voice inside her head.

You're all gonne die...

And then her blue eyes met Elvin and she smiled and stepped out of the shadows, letting herself be seen with her Audrey design - Purple Mage Robe (which of course, was very stunning, mind you) and smiled sweetly upon the Adhiel sorcerer, stepping back once more to the shadows, her eyes still glued upon Elvin, her inner voice singing the same song.

YOU are gonna die...

Destroy such a wonderful creature? Such foolish notion! Fauna Winthrope sighed, her face turning to look at Corbin. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Pure rubbish. But then, she realized the daemon had to die. It was too powerful and she painstakingly agreed with Professor Baldeserrato.

That girl, Fauna's face perked up when she heard Jolanda's voice. I have seen you before, but where? She rummaged inside her head but she couldn't seem to find where she had seen Jolanda. But an intense liking enveloped her, a liking for the way the woman thinks. Yes, The Dark Enchantress angled her head, her blue eyes glimmering inside the shadows, intently looking at the woman, recognizing the anger that was simmering inside Jolanda. You are a cunning woman, very dangerous, your mind turns like the shadows... perhaps... But she did not move and merely waited inside the shadows.

...The familiar, silent shadows.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett was not surprised to find K’mith assisting the professor. Not wishing to distract from the pattern, he simply gave a silent, courtly bow to acknowledge his respect. Moore’s ceremony inspired admiration in the Querist, especially as he had spent much time earlier that day tracing many of the same features with his own magical mapping.

But the Dortman could not afford to be drawn into the magic at hand. It was more important to scrutinize those gathered. Potential allies. Potential saboteurs. He was less than happy to find the One-ists present. Once the demon was dealt with, it would be time to defend against them. While followers of Dominicus might be expected to fight a demon, he wondered if there were orders for them to strike against the gathered forces of the Empire afterward.

Bearing in mind Corbin’s warnings, Barrett was quite delighted to hear Jolanda’s suggestion of strategy. It spoke of an active, perhaps unconventional, mind. There was respect in his tone and bearing to counteract the fact that he was arguing against her idea. The priest did not want to discourage such a valuable resource.

“Your thinking is quite shrewd, my lady. But such a plan carries too much risk. The ‘followers’ might be mistaken for the real thing and attacked by our allies. And the powers of the foe might bend illusion into reality. To work convincingly, an infiltration of those who are already in league with the demon would take time. Not to mention the fact that you attribute human wants to a creature that is quite foreign in essence. I think it prefers to torment the unwilling and force its victims to perform cruel acts, rather than recruit true worshippers. Horror, hatred, cruelty, destruction, despair. The Nether feeds on these. True faith would be its enemy.”

“Perhaps we should give it what it expects: a show of force. But only a portion of our force. A strong enough showing to draw out and occupy its defenses while one - or more - smaller, stealthier groups lead a direct assault, or assaults.”

“As for defense against possession… is there some manner of having a centralized unit of sorcerers craft wards to protect the minds of those going into battle? Could we lend support remotely to those who most need it?”
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"Master Priest," The Dark Enchantress moved out of the shadows, letting her glorious self be seen once more, her blue eyes maliciously twinkling. "The lady's plan has merit..." She declaired, her voice vibrant her dark-purple mage robe shuffling with her graceful, minute actions that bespoke of more than profound feminity.

"But, it needs to be expounded upon. Horror, Anger, Despair, Passion and Cruelty and ultimate Destruction are what feeds the Nether... Such atrocities!" The Amunite woman sighed theatrically, heaving her bosom. "A strong man cannot be on constant guard with such atrocities. Lies and falsities are the very nature of the Nether and who can fight against the very Prince of Untruthfulness?"

"Perhaps, we can both use the lady's advice and your advice." She gave a flat smile at Jolanda. "Perhaps, someone can go inside. Someone who can lend a hand to the group from the inside. Such someone should be wise and cunning as the Nether, fighting lies with lies and illusion with illusion, that way, you can know what's going on inside the very core of darkness." Her tone ended so sweetly, so persuasingly, trying very hard to persuade them that her suggestion was good.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened to the discussion that was ongoing with an impassive face as he heard the suggestions.

"If I might interject a moment." Corbin said after Fauna had suggested sending someone inside. "I think such a plan doomed to failure. I can not think of any reason why the demon would accept the help of a single person. It would merely take control of that persons body and immediately gain their skills and knowledge - and thus any planning that we have made would fall into its grasp." Corbin said.

"The only way that a person could aid us from the inside is if they were to go in secretly and spy on the creature - but I can not conceive that it would allow such a thing to take place. I fear that sending someone in would merely be sending them to their death for very little - if any - gain." Corbin said gravely.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

She turned to look at the man who replied, human, upon his tongue an accent... and so it was that in her last hours of life her Jolanda discovered her voice heard. The irony.

"We have allies? This is good news." still, her interest was better won by a woman who posed a more daring plan. Ahh, now that would be the view... Jolanda's lip curled.

"There is never only one way." she interjected as Corbin tried douse the idea, "It is not help that one is offering the demon, it does not need help. It need to know what it's enemies are doing. A seeming traitor. Some one in the guise of seeking to share in this demon's Reich, while in truth on our side." she looked at Fauna wondering if the woman had already considered the possibilities of what might happen if they lost. Her cloak was purple right now, what colour would it be if turned?
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

In the early evening tide, he prepared himself. All of the trappings of war he buckled or strapped on with purpose and grim determination. First, there was his Purple Guard Armor. He had thought not to wear it at one point, but meeting Valsert and the others had changed his mind, and rekindled the fires of their honor and valor deep within his breast. The metal skin was his way of remembering his brethren and honoring them to the end.

Next came his bow, handcrafted by Ailla, the master archer. She was one of his best friends and her contribution was invaluable. She was not a formal member of the Guard, but honoring her skill and prowess was important to him as well.

Then finally, he clasped Tal-Alkeen, the Sword of Anochrim and held the legendary blade aloft before him, studying its keen edge, examining is craftsmanship like one examines a masterpiece of art. Awe and respect danced through his head as he thought of the foes that blade had vanquished and the power that was held within. A prayer came to his lips, and he recited it slowly and deliberately, his voice barely a whisper. He had never been an overly devout man, but his words were in earnest, and his heart and intent were true.

"Gods above and beyond. I must ask Thee for your aid and assistance this night. Creatures of death and darkness have slaughtered your children, taken them from their families and their homes. They seek to destroy what you have created and cultivated. They seek to ravage your churches, and steal the souls of your faithful."

"But there are those of us that have chosen to stand against them. To defy that darkness with faith and love and hope. To strike out against those that would do such heinous and vile things to your children. We beseech Thee for your aid. I beg of you that you watch over us, protect us, and may we strike with your vengeance and power as we seek to end their dark and sinister existence here. May we draw whatever foul ichor that courses in their veins in your names, and end the threat they pose to your people. I ask this boon of Thee, for your children..."

He sheathed the naked steel and buckled the legendary weapon at his waist.

He then spent the last of his eveningtide hours gathering his few allies and friends. He was very careful to speak to each of them for a few moments, taking the extra time to be sure that standing with him on this task was what they fully wanted, and that they were entering it with a sound mind and at ease with their decision. He could ill afford to be in such danger with those would quail at the task and balk when the time came to strike. He needed all of them to be sharp and focused. He knew that there was a good chance that some of them would die in this task, and taking a few extra moments to spend with each of them was important to him. If he himself survived, he wanted to remember any that fell for their heroism, their selflessness, and their honor. Taking a few extra moments to speak with each privately was an easy way to burn those memories into his mind and heart forever.

He had met the Inquisitors at the docks, at the Lycos, and brought them here, to Professor Moore and K'mith. They seemed grim and silent men, yet at the same time up to the task.

He nodded at the Duke's wife upon arrival, a silent gesture of both thanks and acknowledgement. Others were speaking, plotting, planning. The former Captain listened intently, evaluating each person's opinion on the matter. The wizard's arm and hand spiraled around Carling's Point.

The lighthouse... Was his first thought. Then his second was of Elaine.

Hold on my love... We are coming...

He stood impatiently, waiting for the rituals to finish. He didn't want to disturb the rituals, but now that he knew where it was all he could do to stand and wait for them to conclude. Now he had a target, and he stood silently waiting, like a panther ready to strike down upon it's prey. [/i]
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Adhiel listened intently to those that stepped forward to speak. He looked at Corbin and nodded, approvingly. "Ah, Mister Dillon, what a wonderful asset you would be to the Shadowstar and to the Mage Hunters. Why haven't our paths crossed before? Why weren't you at the meeting. So much to do and yet... so little time."

The sorcerer's eyes looked at the next in line, the woman he had bumped into earlier that day. "An excellent idea... The initial thought is good, the execution would be a little bit tougher. We do have an advantage she doesn't know about."

When Elvin saw Fauna his face showed some surprise but quickly the cool mask he wore was back in place. "So you have come as well, Miss Winthrope... And when will you change from asset to the one who sticks a knife in our back? Still... I'll use all you have and if you dare betray me again I'll do much more then let it rest," He looked amused at her robe, "You can play the role of a mage, Miss Winthrope, but the real test is yet upon you. I wonder how much your abilities have grown. Maybe soon we'll see, yes?" He offered the dark sorceress a brief smile, that never reached his eyes. Fauna recognized the look in the Mentor's eyes. It was the similar to the look he had when they went to face Hopesh, only much more cold. Indeed a lot had changed in the days that had passed and the mage had changed.

He looked at the Dortman that started to speak and smiled. "True to your faith, Master Treespawn, a well-constructed speech built upon facts and personal observation. I wonder if you'ld have any interest in the Shadowstar..."

And back to Fauna again. "You would know all about that, wouldn't you, Miss Winthrope? What happened to the empty-headed girl that wanted to learn the Art? I liked you much better that way.."

The wizard waited silently until his eyes found Ulder. "It is time... Let us see what they have to say to this." The Adhiel sorcerer stepped forward and clapped his hands above his head, the sound amplified by weaving a tiny strand of air through the reverberating sound.

His mind was focussed, he held onto the meditative trance he was in and looked at those gathered. "Many of you may not know me. So let us get over first introductions and move on to business. I am Mentor Motricé, leader of the Shadowstar, and as a Shadowstar I have fought against the Nether and lived through to this day. Now it is my turn to speak... I'll give you knowledge about the Changer. I'll give you it's ultimate weaknesses and the only way you can truly destroy it."

Elvin paused for a moment, his cold eyes surveying the room: "The Changer... A Daemon that thrives most on the dark emotion of Corruption. Henceforth it's weaknesses are purity and stasis," the sorcerer started pacing, his hands clasped behind his back, as he continued, "But! If it manages to corrupt these things they become a very potent source of power to him," he looked at Corbin, "Mister Dillon spoke correctly when he told you that the Changer doesn't have a form. However! It can take any form it wants. And it likes to pluck your darkest fears from your mind and change into them. Mister Dillon was also correct about the monster's ability to posses and that the soul of the possessed stays in the body. What Mister Dillon, might not know is that the Daemon feeds of such a tormented soul, growing stronger."

He paused again: "It can be harmed by magic and blade but it can not be destroyed by cutting it down, it can be merely disabled for a while. There is one, and ONLY ONE, way to utterly destroy this creature," his cold eyes locked with Ulder's, "The creature has seven hearts. Hearts that can not be ddistinguishedby normal and also near impossible to see with Aetheric sight," he looked at the Oneists, "Hearts that will shine bright to priests and mincrafters because of the dark emotions that dwell within. The hearts of the creature have to be cut out and purified. Only then will this taint of evil be forever finished."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

The gathering was much as Valsert had pictured it. Many different sorts of people, different walks of life and skills. It reminded him of the stories he had heard about the party of light. Of course it was not lost on him that a member of that party had been one of the loundest voices in the trial that resulted in the disbanding of the Purple Guard.

As he looked around the gathering his eyes stoped at the Followers of the One. Of all present, they were the only ones that gave him pause. Rumors had abounded for some time now, that war was brewing. The followers of the One god against the world it seemed. But today was not the day for that war, and he was not one to spurn help in the time of need.

Turning from those gathered around Professor Moore, he knelt down in front of the small group of Purple Guards. He had become use to the term 'former Purple Guards' now, but employed by the empire or not they would always be the Purple Guard to him.

With the attention of the Guardsmen on him, he began to brief them of the situation in more detail then when he had gone to round them up. As he detailed his previous battles against the daemons, hell hounds, and those captured and used by the beast at the center of all this mess, he thought he could see more then one face turn pale. He heard none of them telling the typical salty jokes common before battle, no friendly banter between the soldiers awaiting the order to move out.

Casting his own worrys aside, he pulled out a small metal flask that had been given to him by a Count after his first encounter with demons after they attacked the city, as he passed it around to the guardsmen he offered a few jests of his own to help lift their spirits.

"You listen to me boys. If one of the daemons puppet people attack, they die quickly just as anyone. I have seen these hell hounds twice before tonight, the first was at the Stare, 4 guardsmen took them both down. The second was under the city and let me tell ya, those hounds took flight the moment they realized the power of those fighting them.

Oh we have a fight on our hands, don't be fooled, but I don't think these things hold a candle to a freshly pinched bar maid at the Dragon."

Altho he stayed busy talking to the guardsmen, he kept a keen ear on the other conversations around.
Last edited by valsert on Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin hushed as Elvin began to speak. Corbin listened carefully as he detailed the fight that lay ahead of him, and was moderately pleased when the adhiel confirmed that Corbin had been correct about the lack of form the creature had. He wondered just what a Shadowstar was and whether he should have heard of it? Probably not, it sounded like an order of mages, so some such body.

There were two things of specific interest that Corbin learned from his speech. Firstly that the corrupted souls were strong sources of power for him, and secondly that the seven hearts must be destroyed before the Changer could be vanquished.

Immediately questions and ideas flashed into his head, and he had to order them quickly before speaking.

"You confirm that the souls live in the body, Mentor Motrice. Can they be freed without killing the Changer? And if the Changer is vanquished, will those under his control revert back to their normal self?" Corbin asked. The question was filled with self-interest for he knew that Bregana may be possessed. But, of course, if they could never be freed then concentrating on killing them would be an indirect way to damage the Changer and remove its power.

He was developing a rudimentary strategy to deal with the hearts in his head, but he didn't have enough information to formulate it properly.

"I suspect the answer to my next question will be unknown, but are the hearts likely to be in the same location, and is the Changer likely to be guarding them? If they are in separate locations, might it not make sense to split our forces in twain - then one group would be able to pin down the Changer at one of the heart locations whilst the other group set about cleansing the other hearts. If the changer then detected this and moved to the other location the roles would reverse. If whichever group was in combat with the Changer fought a largely defensive battle, then they could preserve their energy a lot longer. Then they could combine at the final heart and focus an all-out assault on the Changer whilst the priests purified the hearts." He said, suggesting the bones of a strategy.
Dianissiya E'Dorian

Post by Dianissiya E'Dorian »

Dory quickly scribbled down everything anyone had to say. But it didn't really have any meaning. The problem was, she still didn't know how to kill the damn demon....thats when the adhiel spoke.

She could barely catch up with his words. All he said was so amusing, it was hard to believe. Seven hearts? How was that possible? questions, questions and more questions....

Then Dory noticed Corbin, she quietly sneaked up to him walking around the others back, not to distract other people and gently pulled on his sleave as soon as she got close enough.

"Hi."Dory smiled." I think, the hearts are in the same location as the demon, Corbin. It as weird as it might sound, probably inside of him. He did say cut them out. " she spoke quietly." Though I hope I misunderstood, it would make things a whole lot easier.

" Mentor Motrice, how do you purify a demon heart?" asked Dory louder.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

It was for the scrying ritual that Talanwei was in the University of Magick. There were many in the room and he had just found his way to the room designated for the demon hunters. He smiled. It was quite a notion to wrap his mind around, “demon hunter”. It was a title that held a bit of excitement but he would not let it run away with his thoughts. When he entered the room he saw many people, some he knew, others he definitely did not. There was a man, tall with a shock of red hair and green eyes who seemed a priest or a mage. Then there was a woman, who had to have been one of the most physically beautiful he had ever seen. She was blonde haired sorceress with eyes...a queer shade he couldn’t place exactly. As was likely customary with her, he found a hard time taking his eyes away to survey the rest of the room. A woman of dark hair was standing to her own with an unreadable look on her face. The woman looked as if her mind never stopped spinning and working. His eyes came across Corbin, the man he had met that earlier eveningtide and Dory, to both of whom he smiled with all the good nature he could muster. Captain Ulder and Sergeant Valsert with his group of men stood in their own areas.

Before he could situate himself, the scrying ritual had begun. Talanwei watched it with much interest, his mind absorbing what was done slowly. Soon it was done and the young Achadiel looked further on the man Elvin that stood before all and spoke of the demon. Apparently the changeling that could manipulate its shape to what most feared from ones mind and make it appear in the Tether. This was concerning but not altogether insurmountable. Talanwei had showed his faith in Illuminatus since he was very young and if it was his will that would bring an end to the young aspirant before he became a Paladin then so be it.

Talanwei shifted uncomfortably in his armor, it was light, hardened denim of a black shade but nonetheless more than what he was used to. He felt as if it hampered his movement and if the demon proved to be swift, more so than himself he may have to abandon it. Clasped on his hips were both of his blades. They were well made, sharp, almost obsessively so, and in the position that he could pull both without much effort. Talanwei listened as each person spoke in turn giving statements and strategy. The aspirant took some of this time to focus himself and send a prayer to Illuminatus for the safety of all. The light and warmth that greeted his thoughts comforted him. There were those here that were infinitely more experienced than he. This was apparent by their mannerisms, the arch of their shoulders, even the simple way they stood. Talanwei held no reservations about this monster they were to face, he knew that he could likely be killed in the space of a flicker if he was not cautious and careful. Even with this he knew there was a measure of luck and faith to be taken into account for the success of this mission.

Talanwei made his way over to Dory and Corbin and stood with the most familiar and friendly faces. She was furiously scribbling notes and raised her hand to make her question known. He would wait until the strategizing was done, absorbing all the knowledge that was presented before he spoke. He knew not if his input was needed at all but he assumed the role of pupil subconsciously.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca was sat on the ground near the Professor, watching him draw. None of this actually felt real yet, which would probably explain why Fauna hadn't been put in her place (a coffin) when she started raving.

What finally struck her was the man talking, the one who'd faced the demon, was someone she knew, even if the only suggestion her mind was offering as to his name was His Lordship. That got her attention, and from that point she looked from one speaker to another, catching what she missed from the others' replies.

Somehow, it didn't really surprise her that Elvin started to wax knowledgable, although she gave him A Look - one that promised he'd better have a good explanation for how he came by his knowledge; if it had anything to do with That Book, she was going to kill him.

... There was a thought.

"So we've established it can possess people and animals. Out of sheer curiosity, anyone got any ideas on whether or not it can do the same with corpses?" She hoped not. This was one thing she'd gladly love to be laughed at for asking.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Ashari looked young, maybe too young for what they would be undertaking. Her 18th birthday loomed in the not-too distant future and as she stood with proud grace and practiced posture she wondered if she would live to see it. The past weeks had, at times, flown past, and at others dragged onward. It seemed it'd been ages since she'd seen Ulder last and agreed to help him.

The group spoke their ideas, but Ash just slipped between bodies and idly watched the scrying. She made it look as if she were just trying to get a better view when infact she wanted to get closer to Ulder. Very few knew what she was bringing with her. Her power was, perhaps, immense. If it were not such a secret craft she would've been world renowned for the things she could do with it. She'd killed. She'd healed. She'd vanquished. She'd gained things and she lost things... so many things. Looking at the brave Captain within a flicker she realized how much she didn't want to lose him again. He was her last bit of home. He was honor and valour and the world that would survive following the fall of the Changer would need him.

Smoothing the cotton of her simple white dress, the foreigner listened to the words of Becca with something akin to horror. That she would even come up with the idea of raised dead being used against them was somewhat of a sign of her mental state. Who were these people that Ulder had gathered? Where did he find them all? Did the rest of them have as strong an allengiance to him? She didn't know, she just didn't know. As they all argued about what was the best idea of how to go about their attack they were wasting time. Precious time. Time that could very well change the course of history for all of Tazlure, nevermind for Elaine's very own life.

"What are we doing, Ulder?" she whispered to him when she got close enough, though she fully understood there would be plenty who could hear her soft voice. Ashari was hardly one for planning. They knew where the creature was, which meant it was time to go demon-hunting. "We're not people of words. We need to act." Her eyes scanned around the room at the many faces she didn't recognize. She couldn't speak of her gift of mindcrafting. She didn't know these people, and so she remained quiet in waiting of Ulder's response. He looked uneasy - power restrained but ready to burst.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

It was only after the ritual had finished that Morgan turned his attention to the others present. So few that he knew, and for the most part he had no idea what strange powers those present possessed, or what stranger motives had caused them to lend their strength. He'd seen Elvin's power first hand, and was heartily grateful that the experienced mage was a part of the endeavour. He was grateful that Becca was there, too, but for a different reason: he wasn't the only one present who was completely out of his depth.

Offering no contribution - what did he have to add? - the young mage simply listened intently to the discussion, finding a place on the floor next to Becca and offering her a smile; a smile that quickly turned into a grimace of horror when the girl mentioned the possibility of possessed corpses.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca's expression when she saw Morgan slip in was one of almost flattering relief, smiling back at him. Then his expression changed, and the girl sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder and half expecting him to shake her off.

"Don't give that look," she mumbled, the words slightly muffled. "I don't like the idea any more than you do. But if it could happen... I wanna know now." She managed a rather half-hearted smile, not that he could see it. "Put it down to me reading too many horror stories and forget about it."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Mentor Motrice, how do you purify a demon heart?" asked Dory louder.

"By the power of the One of course." A low conficent voice spoke. This priest of the One was all bone and muscle, clad in leather armor over his priestly robes. He said nothing more but his gaze clearly showed his belief that his group bore the only purity at this gathering.

"So we've established it can possess people and animals. Out of sheer curiosity, anyone got any ideas on whether or not it can do the same with corpses?" She hoped not. This was one thing she'd gladly love to be laughed at for asking.

"What we've seen in its abandoned lair would indicate not." Professor Acantha spoke with the confidence and clipped effeciency that comes from long term military service. She was about 40 yahren in age with steel gray hair tied back in a battle braid. Instead of robes, she wore an outfit of red leather, not tight fitting, but snug to allow no restriction of movement. She held a slim bladed halberd in one hand.

"There were piles of corpses it could have animated and sent at us if it had the power and inclination. More, the possessed guardsmen we fought did not fight unending. Though they took more wounds than mortal man should endure before dying, die they did."
Last edited by Tristam on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin smiled quickly at Dory as she approached him. What she said probably made sense. One would have thought that a single heart would suffice. Well then, that would no doubt nullify his plan. His mind immediately began to toss up new ideas of how they could assault it. But now was the time to let others have their say, later he could propose new suggestions as to how the fight should be conducted. Besides a few flickers would give him time to solidify the plan that was growing in his head.

He listened intently as the others spoke, noting Talanwei as he approached, and nodding his head in greeting. He turned back and listened to the further question. His brow didn't darken, though it would have had he not exercised restraint, when the Oneist spoke. Dominicus was Corbin's religion, nominally, but he had little time for religious fanatics. Perhaps those accompanying them would prove not to be so, but there were disturbing rumours about this particular religion, rumours that was making Corbin uneasy about his links to the church.

As Acantha responded to Becca he nodded his head slightly in agreement. He had seen the piles and piles of corpses under the Citadel before he had even met the Changer. No, it didn't seem able to reanimate them - a blessing in some ways as it meant it couldn't create an army of the dead, but then such creatures would be easier to slay than the enhanced living creatures it bent to its will. Once again, the thought brought Bregana to mind, but Corbin swiftly pushed her away. He would not let such considerations prey on him this night.
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

"By the power of the One of course."

An unnaturally old voice in the back of Barrett’s mind laughed. The laughter of bitter lessons learned rather than joy.
Should I mention to him that it is by the power of the One that these nether attacks are possible? Or hold that insult in hopes that their presence will be a true aid here? I suppose we don’t really have the time for an all-out theological argument just yet…

The Querist had successfully escaped becoming entranced by the complex ritual. Instead, he had taken in the many actions in the room, the many diverse voices and faces. Though well-disciplined, the Purple Guard seemed edgy – eager for action. As did the Oneists, but for different reasons. But Elvin’s information and the discussion it prompted was important.

“There is no time to attempt an infiltration.”
Fauna’s enthusiasm for the idea had solidified Barrett’s opposition to it.
“The information we have is current, but may not remain so. The longer we stay and plan, the more time it has to prepare for us or to escape to a more inscrutable place. We know its location now. We have weapons and a will with which to fight it. We need a plan of action, but I suggest we devise it with haste. I suggest we send out a few scouts now to reconnoiter the area around the Point. Are there those among the Guard here, or others, who are skilled in such missions?”

“We’ll need to choose a core group: those who will be facing the demon directly with the means to seek out and purify the hearts. The purification might be by means of faith based magic or those with a gift for seeing such things on a spiritual plane. I believe that focusing pure Aether upon it will also be effective as Aetheric energies will naturally seek to right the wrong of its Nether taint.”

Barrett tiptoed around the Mentor’s mention of mindcraft. Likely any with such a gift would be loath to mention it here.

“Then we’ll need a more militant group to deal with the creature’s minions and defenses so that the core group can carry out its purpose. There should be both mundane and magical force of arms to fight off whatever it throws our way.”

The Dortman turned to Professor Acantha. Her experience was obvious, even if he was not yet certain of her identity.
“Perhaps you could advise a more detailed strategy. We’ll also need to decide upon a leader so that any decisions in battle are not left to chaotic heated debate or circumstance. I would suggest Captain Ulder.”
Barrett chose to speak as if the Guard had not been disbanded. Perhaps if he could convince others, there might be a way to rebuild them as a force for good in the public eye.
“He has experience in command, is familiar with or to the majority of those gathered, has encountered the Changer, is familiar with its current unwilling host, and has the purest heart and strongest will of any warrior I have ever encountered.”
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda's eyes narrowed as Ulder appeared, she did not know why, but his ability to irritate her her now extended to being achieved upon sight alone, the sound of his voice set the hairs upon the back of her neck to tingle and eyes to dilate.

Too, there was the man whom had bumped into her earlier that day, how curious? And he spoke with even stronger knowledge of the daemon and conviction to what must be done. She discovered herself holding her breath as he spoke, and seeking out his face wondering more to who he was.

Others spoke, a girl who seemed vaguely familiar to Jolanda who sat on the ground, and for some reason make Jolanda think she shoud be reading a book, but the man who sat next to her did not match the scant memory. Who are you, ahh, but does it even matter.

It was true, they simply did not have time...

"I second Captain Ulder as leader." She spoke up meeting the hulking man's eyes, it was a peace offering of a type. She then moved alongside Barrett - a man whom seemed entirely reasonable and practical, whom she would have voted as leader if he'd not voiced his support for Ulder.

"Then perhaps we are best to state our strengths for our leader to break us up into those groups?" Jolanda glanced to Barrett, as this seemed the next step, "I've no fighting skills, but I would do what mundane things are necessary to assist either magical or military arms of the attack." looking about the growing collection of men and women. We are, all of us, mad.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"I shall go with the core group." Fauna's voice purred from the shadows, her eyes glittering once more as she stepped out from the shadowy darkness, her eyes glancing at the Master Priest, her elegant purple robe tattered and her hair artfully dishevelled.

"I can recognize the Nether and may be able to help shield the group and counter it." The Dark Enchantress continued with her velvety voice. "Captain Ulder is a good choice for the leader of the core group." She approved.

But what was lurking inside her mind? What was the reason for her malicious look? It was the fact that Elvin mentioned the Seven Hearts of the Nether that prompted her curiosity. What was this Seven hearts? Emotions that flittered and used by the Nether? And deep inside her, she recognized that she has one of the seven hearts inside her.

Anger.

What would happen if she has the other six? Would she be more powerful? Her eyes glittered once more at the thought of it. Yes, the Daemon must be destroyed so she can claim the Seven Hearts to herself.

"Yes, I am going with the core group and aid Captain Ulder win Elaine back from the nefarious Nether, I have decided" That bitch, the power should have been mine! Fauna declaired with a look of challenge, looking at the people around her with her glittering, blue eyes. No matter, I will seize the power no matter what! She would have cackled an insane laugh but though about it, she wouldn't want the others to think she was mad or something, her reputation as the best dressed and popular student at the University of Magick was at risk, unlike Becca. Without meaning to, her blue eyes sought the girl, her eyebrow arched and giving Becca a challenging look.

How come I know you, little girl? Fauna hesitatedly stepped back, a faint recolleciton of a silver knife twisting insde of her and as suddenly as it appeared, the feeling vanished, replaced by indifference.

"Why do have a chambermaid here?" She asked loud, her indifferent eyes still looking at Becca curiously.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”