Terra Incognita

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Terra Incognita

Post by Maeve »

Between the Western Kingdom and the Seven Isles lies a desert wasteland where the weak perish and the strong struggle to survive. Here dragons roam free, leaving death and destruction in their wake. From this land flows exotic spices, deadly poisons and cruel men.
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sabata: the City of Trade - Main Entrance Thread
The port city of Sabata is really the only city in Terra Incognita. On one side lies an ocean of water, and on the other an ocean of sand. Between these the dome city has settled on a broad expanse of solid rock, which clearly defines its borders despite its lack of walls. Each dome is tent-like in appearance, and from every surface protrude spikes, giving the whole city an unwelcome and threatening appearance.

Despite this appearance, the city is known for its welcoming of foreigners and the trade they bring. The streets are wide and filled with vendors of every goods from across the known world, along with its own unusual goods. Where vendors have not taken up residence, entertainers have. Acrobats, snake charmers, musicians and poets fill the city with music and noise that rises above the hawkers shouting there wares and bartering outrageously with prospects.

The city is composed of three main domes, canopying the sky. One shelters mostly businesses and offices, the central dome hovers over the Great Market, and the Third covers the wealthiest of the residential districts. There are other smaller domes scattered around each within the main city wall, like chicks clustered around three mother hens. These tend to house newcomers, sailors and POTS who choose to live part of the year within the city to trade. Lanes and then broad streets connect the domes, usually covered over as well, the shade and sea breezes making the punishing sun more bearable.

Within each dome, great or small, streets and lanes are laid out largely in a spiral or circular pattern, conforming to the domes overhead. Many of these cummulate in a central court, often with a public well or fountain, kept supplied by the underground rivers of fresh water beneath the city itself.

The Docks are accessable only from the road leading to them from the Great Central dome, although there are smaller jetties and piers built out on the sands outside of the city walls, used mostly by fishermen and small local traders.

OOC: All areas in Sabata are starting points for those who come to Terra Incognita by sea except those noted otherwise.

Sabata: The Harbor
Just down the avenue from the Central Dome, the choppy waters of the Sabata harbor teamed with vessels of every sort. Merchant ships, war galleys, and even fishing canoes from every corner of the world jockeyed for position. Though marred from years of use, the thick stone docks remained strong and solid. The captains could rest easy while their vessels lay moored to the mighty piers.

The docks themselves were filled with workers carting and carrying their loads from place to place, giving the whole area a chaotic air. Robed officials, bobbing obsequiously, analyzed the arriving cargo while stevedores scurried like ants up and down the gangplanks with their loads. Sailors rushed ashore to enjoy their leave. Thieves and whores hovered on the outskirts, waiting for a chance to take their hard-earned coins. The docks were a lively and dangerous place.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sabata: The Bathhouse
Easily one of the grandest structures in all of Sabata, the bathhouse is a welcome contradiction to the hot and dusty sands of Terra Incognita. About as big as any temple complex in Tazlure, it is the center for deal making and breaking within the city. Reflecting imperial taste, cool white, marble pillars gracefully adorn the outside of the building, while the inside is a wonder to behold.

A dense forest of trees, unfamiliar to all but the most seasoned traveler, grow directly out of the floor. The canopy of branches allow sunlight to filter through the open roof, creating an almost ethereal atmosphere. No one knows how these trees survive in the harsh sunlight, but it is rumored that they are sustained by the magic brought back by the bride of Darian Boroda, the bathhouse's current proprietor.

At the center of the "forest" lie two baths, one cool and one warm. This is where the general population can come to relax and talk about whatever their hearts desire. It is here where race and rank are put aside, if only for a few marks, for the sake of relaxation. Occasionally bards will wander over from The Barbed Poet and entertain whoever happens to be in the baths.

Surrounding the pool are various rooms. Two rooms are set aside for changing, with various storage areas for any belongings. Four of the rooms are set aside for massages. This is where the finest masseuses will knead away all of your troubles. Each of these rooms are adorned with various mosaics depicting a momentous event from Tazlure's history. Various scented candles are burned to create a pleasant smelling, relaxing atmosphere.

The remaining rooms are the private warm baths/saunas, which are reserved for aristocrats and their guests alone. It is here, in these private rooms where business of all sorts is conducted. Aristocrats and their guests can come and relax, while talking politics and negotiations, away from the prying eyes of the public. Slaves heat the temperature to that which the nobles desire, and can add any variety of oils or potions to soften the noble's skin.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sabata: Longfellow Institute
The Longfellow Institute for Surveying and Expeditionary Adventures was a small shop under the wealthiest of domes. It had a large window in front through which passers by could see countless maps and plotting equipment strewn about a large table. The door, painted a bright read, looked inviting. A brass bell adorned the jam to signal any entrants. It rang softly as one walked inside.

Opening the door, a patron entered an amazing realm of paper and planning. Charts and diagrams of various parts of the world covered the desk. The walls held shelves lined with leather bound books and knick knacks of various sorts. Each item seemed unique, foreign and mysterious.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sabata: Silberstein & Sons Auction House
Located close to the wharves for the sheer convenience, a dirt courtyard stand in earthy toned contrast to the great white domes of Sabata. Here much cargo is temporarily stowed coming on and off ships, crates of goats, chickens, bales of cotton and barrels of wine…

At the southern end of the courtyard, a stone building bearing the sign “Offices of Silberstein & Sons, ASA (authorized slave auctioneer). Outside the building human live-stock, prize specimens shackled in pairs to sturdy thick chains looped though great iron eyelets mounted directly into the buildings foundations. Aside from interested buyers, few pay much attention to the bronzed bodies lounging in what shade they can find… the trade draws little note. It exists, it always has.

Around the side of the building, out of general view, a row of cages less than 5 foot tall house the less appealing to the eye or plain disruptive livestock. A few planks sit atop the cages offering some shelter from the sun, within the cages a straw is strewn about, an unsavory smell of excrement and sweat hangs heavily in the air.

A side entrance into the back of the building gives entrance to the more delicate or tame specimens appoaching sale.

Within the front door is the office, and behind the large imported desk sits a gaunt fellow with spectacles perched upon narrow nose as he works upon his ledger. Reputed to be one of the richest men in the city of Sabata, Mr Silberstein is a modestly dressed man, and lives in accommodations on the upper floor. Whether he is too frugal to spent money on accommodations in the wealthy district, or prefers to remain close to his investment, one can only guess. He is a man of few words, and fewer friends – lacking in both a wife and heir.

However if any one was considering breaking in and overpowering the man for his riches, they would be promptly thwarted. In his service are four loyal mutes, in charge of security.

The auction site itself is a floating pavilion moored in the harbor. The pavilion is the property of the city, and is used on festivals as the launching place of fireworks, and even as a floating ballroom on occasions, but on the third burn of trade tide of Wydday’s Lyrday’s and Wanedays it is contracted out to Silberstein. Then idle onlookers and buyers alike gather at the wharves edge as business is conducted.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sabata: Crying Dragon Tavern
Across the top of the dome is the gleaming white skeleton of a dragon. Held in place by spikes through its ribs, it still appears majestic and fearful, even long after its death. From its eye sockets, down its skull, running down the dome to either side of the door, are two black trails.

Inside is a large common room, well lit by lanterns that hang from the ceiling. On the far side of the common area, directly across from the door, stands a well stocked bar and a bartender with deep brown skin and golden hoops through his ears. To the right is a stairwell leading up above the common room, and to the left stands a small stage, currently standing empty.

In between it all lies the inhabitants of the tavern. Scattered about on tables and chairs, men and women drink, eat and converse loudly. The group is diverse, more foreigners can be seen than natives of Terra Incognita.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Sabata: Rare Blessings
The two story building stands out in the crowd of buildings surrounding it with its flamboyant blue paint and elegantly scripted sign simply stating the name of the shop. Inside is a cool haven from the hot streets of the outside. The cleanly swept shop is lined with various potted plants with signs in front of them proclaiming the name of the plants, its various uses, and symptoms that the poison will induce in the intended target. At the front of the shop on the counter is a tank containing curiously spiked fish, whose barbs are deadly to anyone who doesn't know how to handle them. Where she gets these curious fish are unknown, but most people seem to think that she imports them illegally, although no one seems to mind. The shop attracts all sorts of people, from the noble aristocrat who wants to send a "message" to opponents, to the occasional healer who knows that poisons don't always have to be used to kill someone and can have beneficial effects when trying to heal someone.

Zhanna, the owner, is usually either upstairs or in the back room, and there is a little bell on the front counter which can be used to summon her. She is very helpful and knowledgeable about the plants and will explain anything you need to know. She can sell you the plant as is, or grind it up into any kind of potion, lotion, or any other form you may need.
Last edited by Morg on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Sabata: The Barbed Poet
There is one door in the bathhouse which doesn't lead to a room, but to The Barbed Poet, Darian Boroda's other establishment. This building was recently added on to The Bathhouse after he returned from his long journey abroad. The multicolored stones used to build The Barbed Poet stand out in a stark contrast to the cool white marble used to build The Bathhouse. While Darian welcomes everyone with open arms, the nobles have claimed it as their own and frown upon any "commoner" that tries to enter. It is here where many nobles start their negotiations, only to go over to The Bathhouse to finalize them. Richly colored tapestries adorn the walls depicting various myths and legends concerning gods, goddesses, and the heros of old. Candles in finely carved candleholders adorn each of the tables, along with finely patterned dining sets. It is a mystery where Darian got all of the money to pay for all of the fine things that adorn the tavern, but it is rumored that he discovered some kind of vast treasure while abroad. When asked about it, Darian only smiles a mysterious smile and changes the subject.

Only the finest entertainers come to The Barbed Poet to perform. The stage at the front is slightly raised up, so all can enjoy the performances. While it is mostly bards and musicians who come to entertain, The Barbed Poet occasionally will feature dancers and dance troupes from around Tazlure. It is considered an honor to be allowed to perform here.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Morg

Post by Morg »

Sabata: Eastern Sands Company Offices
The Sabata offices of the Eastern Sands Trading Company lay in a prime spot within the city's Market District, just off its central concourse. The building was a whitewashed monstrosity. A full four storeys high, it thrust upwards towards the cloth of the dome far above the streets. An architect from the West had clearly been brought in to work on the edifice, as its formidable size and sturdy construction were a cut above most construction work done locally. Furthermore, the narrow window apertures were spanned by grid lattices of thick, square glass panes, a refinement uncommon in both the Desert City and the Western Kingdom.

No guards stood watch on the outside of the building, but two flanked the doorway on the inside. While the man to the left was olive-skinned and armed and armoured in traditional Western style, wearing chainmail armour and carrying a longsword, the one to the right was clad in the robes of a Red Tribe warrior of the Sands. The disparate pair were a perfect illustration of the culture-spanning nature of the trading venture. While the Eastern Sands Company had its roots far to the west, in World's Mouth, its fate rested entirely upon operations in Sabata and elsewhere in Terra Incognita, the very reasons for its existence. In the few yahren that the Company had been in operation, it had begun the laborious process of hammering two cultures together into a malleable material.

Within the building it was cool and quiet, mostly a result of its thick walls. Even the babbling roar of the market place outside was no more than a muted murmur here. The front door opened into a spacious hall, spanning two storeys, with a balcony running around the edge at first floor level. Directly in front of the door was a substantial desk in dark wood, and behind it sat a youngish woman with long dark hair, poring over a scroll which seemed to hold some sort of list.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Sabata: Denning's tavern
Located by the docks, down the cliffside from the Great Market dome, this nameless alehouse was a long, narrow building clinging to the side of a great warehouse and sandwiched in by a fisherman's shop on the seaward side. Its most telling feature was its fierce smell, fetid body odours mingling with the wheaty smell of beer in abundance, carried out onto the docks by the sea breeze where it mixed with the aromas of salt and pitch.

The low doorway provided the only source of illumination for its dingy interior, and the burble of rough voices in a dozen dialects furnished the scene with an aural backdrop. Towards the back of the room, where a doorway led into the tavern's back rooms, a worn circular wooden board had been hung on the wall for knife and dart-throwers to practise. It was decorated with a passable drawing of the profile of a great draconian head, its baleful eye dead centre.

Behind the bar, along the back wall, was a sheet of polished metal, grimy with tobacco smoke. In front of it, Denning the tattooed bartender himself was usually standing, surveying his domain. At all times of the day and night the tavern was populated by a rowdy mixture of sailors, criminals, dock workers, layabouts and whores.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Sabata: The Laughing Dwimmerwick
The Laughing Dwimmerwick Inn was a tall building in the second circle of the central dome, sandwiched between a chandler's workshop and a small private house. Beyond its wide, arched portal was a cool, dark hallway with a row of hooks in the wall for hanging coats and cloaks. In this hall was a counter, and behind it was a slim woman sitting at a desk playing with an abacus.

Here rooms could be rented for the reasonable price of two lance per night. There was nothing luxurious about the inn in any objective sense, but it was always clean, and the furniture and fittings were well maintained, marking it out as a cut above the insalubrious bunkhouses that served as Sabata's lowest common denominator for accommodation. The price of rooms also meant that the place's clientele was of a higher class than that of the bunkhouses, and those living there were less likely to be stabbed or robbed blind in their sleep.

To the right an archway led down two steps to the common room. This was a low-ceilinged room lit by wall-hung lanterns which had a slight greenish hue to them. Tables and chairs in dark wood sat upon patterned rugs. The bar was usually unattended, with a little bell hanging from a pillar that could be used to summon a waitress or bartender.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Kudos to Erysa for the core of this description.)

Sabata: The Great Market
The Great Market is found in the central dome, the hub of Sabata's commerce. People of all kinds, young, old, male and female, set up their business here for the day, while others would try to haggle down prices to obtain their wares as a bargain. Almost everything could be seen on one stand or other, from books and vegetables to animals and minerals. It was definitely a place to come to be noticed and to find what you want. The animals ran from domesticated camels and long-tailed sheep to exotic birds of Sabata. One stall even held a display of legendary Sabatan salamanders. The fire lizards on show were of a variety of different colours, ranging from brilliant oranges and yellows to deep black-blues.

The smell of costly spices, cooking food, drying meats as well as other not so pleasant scents would either tantalise or intimidate one's sense of smell while your hearing becomes assaulted by thousands of voices from the vendors shouting out their wares and others haggling down prices, all trying to win over the noise pollution to get what they want. Stands selling snacks were not infrequent in the central area, as the hustle and bustle of the market was hungry work. Most of these sold the meat-filled dumplings known as bhuuz, a speciality of Terra Incognita, cooked in sizzling clouds of steam. Other variants were also available - the bhansh, boiled in great pots, and the fat-fried khuushuur. Entertainers also dotted the area, showing off their abilities by walking on their hands, charming snakes out of baskets, fire eating tricks and sultry dances as well as many others that one's mind may not have comprehended at one time or another.

The busiest time of day in the Great Market was the morningtide. Although the great tentlike domes protected Sabata's inhabitants from the full force of the furious afternoon sun, during tradetide its heat could still be felt fiercely on the air. So the city-dwellers preferred to conduct their business during the early marks of morningtide, before the sun had the chance to ascend into the sky and begin its daily campaign to stare Sabata into submission.

The market also funneled into various shops, inns and other establishments for travellers and natives alike to use their resources.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

The Rookeries

Post by Grant »

Sabata: The Rookeries
While much of the City's institutions and public buildings were located under one of the three major domes dominating the center of Sabata, there were several more smaller domes that surrounded these...and two if these domes were known throughout Sabata simply as The Rookeries. Narrow, closed-in, winding streets were stifled by a dense collection of tall, bare buildings made in the most humble style, buildings that most often had two or three levels upon them despite their tiny size. The narrow slits of the dome visible above were frequently broken by boards or planks placed over the ground streets below to ease the traffic of moving bodies, a second level of traffic on the second floor of all buildings and, in some areas, the third as well. Upon entering the twin-domed borough, one was left with the impression that they had just entered a dense maze of tiny houses and a few unlicensed shops instead of a proper community of the working class.

The strong press of bodies all around...as well as above and sometimes below...gave off the powerful odour of humanity tempered only just by the dry, arid airs. The Rookeries seldom experienced a merciful breeze, so the scent lingered upon the air and followed wherever one went within. But there were also the smells of roasting lamb, boiling soups, and fragrant flowers...for while the Rookeries were overcrowded and dense, they were the home to literally thousands of the city's families, families that lived literally door-to-door with their immediate neighbors.

Of course, legend has it that there are buildings in the Rookeries that can be found only by those shown the way. That can't be too far from truth, as no ten paces in the Rookeries can be taken in a straight line. For the casual visitor, a guide is traditionally the custom...and young boys and girls waited at the entrance at all marks of the day to provide just this service for a minor fee.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant

Return to “The Sands Archive”