Uncle Erwin wants YOU (Samheen 29th TT) - War of the One

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Uncle Erwin wants YOU (Samheen 29th TT) - War of the One

Post by Grey Wolf »

A splendid building showing craftsmanship thought long forgotten, a product worthy of the ancient Dwarven masters. The wood is intricately carved, and each stone is cut by hand. Inside, large tapestries, embroidered of the finest materials and by the finest artisans of Dort, speak of enormous wealth. The Duke’s shrewd judgment has brought his home isle from just an average performer to one of the top trade centers in the world in just under two decades. Dort is the leading trade center of the Empire and it shows.

There was a line that day before the Embassy doors, and this time four gold and brown clad guards stood before them. Every couple of burns one of the men and women would go in, even though the line did not grow shorter even though only a few of them emerged back out over a period of a mark or so. In they went, one after another, men and women alike, and maybe one in a dozen or so came back. Yet, there was no panic or unease amongst those still waiting, despite the uncertain fate of those that went before them. They clustered in small groups and chatted, quite a few of them even laughing from time to time.

A large number of those that were gathered wore a weapon of some sort and most had a pack or something to that effect, either upon their backs or laying on the ground next to their feet. The guards seemed unfazed by all those armed people entering the Embassy, as they stood still as statues, letting them pass, not even bothering to look at those that went in. Those that did emerge back, were mostly crestfallen, as if something went amiss and they were denied access to something they truly wanted. There were even a couple pats on the back from those that still waited their turn.

OOC: This is the main recruitment thread for those that wish to join the War of the One directly. It is open to all who want to join. You will need a semi valid IC excuse to enter. If you are or were a PG you have been informed. Also, there has been a murmur of sorts in all taverns that Duke Erwin is looking for men and women willing to fight for him And given the recent troubles on the Isle of Dort it is somewhat expected.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

valsert wrote:Valsert knew the streets of the Patricians Ring very well from his days of patrols and duties when the Purple Guard was still welcomed here. He could not recall the exact number of times he had marched past the great building that housed Duke Erwin and the others from Dort, but never had he entered. Yet today the view of those doors was nearly blocked by the number of people waiting to enter.

His long strides, a habit of military life that he seemed likely to carry with him the rest of his days, carried him to the end of the line. With little to do now but wait, Val took a moment to study his new boots.

They were not exceptionally made, just simple leather waxed to keep water out, but it was not the boots themselves that drew his attention…it was the memories. He could remember clearly the first new pair of boots he had gotten, boots that the Purple Guard had issued to him. The excitement of the first time he put them on with his new uniform, the false feeling of being taller caused by the unworn soles, even the pain of blisters caused by the hours of marching to break them in.

That thought brought a grin to his face as he compared the pain of blisters to the blistering pain that he had suffered while fighting the daemon. But he supposed that it was a fitting end for a pair of military boots. After all, how many other boots can boast the honor of being dissolved by a daemon during a fight to the death?

Well boots, lets hope that Oneists do not bleed acid. He thought then shook his head in dismay at his own silly mind.

Looking up again he surveyed those around him, and his new boots halted their power as a window to his past and once again became simple footwear.

OOC: Please use this thread to join the war. It helps your beloved mod. I shall be replying to it shortly.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While there were several faces that were unfamiliar to Valsert, most of those that clustered in front of the Embassy were known to him. It was almost like a reunion of Purple Guards, even though the soldiers for the most part kept to themselves, conversing softly amongst themselves and preferring not to mingle. Valsert got a few crisp nods in a way of greeting, but nobody approached him, the men around him leaving him to his own designs, and thoughts. The line was moving forward fairly quickly, the soldiers entering the Embassy in a single file, and about half of them never emerging back out. Only a small number of the former Purple Guardsmen ever came back, and those that did quickly moved away.

OOC: Feel free to contact Grant about joining the War. No need to wait till we are done here, even though we shall still have a little chat to get you started.
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

That none of the other former Purple Guards came up to him seemed odd to Valsert. Although he was not the sort of person who expected, wanted nor looked for fame, he did remember the whispered conversations, questions and looks he had received from his peers after his return from the riots. It made him feel more comfortable that he did not sense the same treatment from others now that the fight against the daemon was done.

Returning the nods to those who gave them he could not help but feel that he was being seen as more common rather then an oddity as before. This helped him to feel more comfortable on the street….and in this line, however the solitude did not.

This was a new feeling he was experiencing. It was against his normal nature to want attention, the less the better. Yet now the solitude spoke volumes.

What rumors are running wild now!.....Only one way to find out I suppose He thought before clearing his voice and speaking to who ever in the line was in the mood to speak.

“Um…Hey there” He began, not speaking to anyone in particular but to any who cared to talk. “What news to we have on the street today?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was a girl that stood just in front of Valsert that took the bait. Tall, and quite muscular, she would be easily mistaken for a boy at a distance thanks to her short cropped hair. Up close however it was impossible to picture her as anything but a woman, thanks to soft features of her face and almost musical voice. She was not one of the Purple Guards or at least she was not known to the wounded Valsert.

“They say the Clans burned Hafne and that the Duke is sending troops to assist Count Johann in quelling the uprising. He was ambushed on the way there and when he got he was nearly killed in the fighting. They say the Clans betrayed him and lured him into a trap.” She shrugged. “I don’t care how it happened. I hear the pay is good and I am sure they could use a good archer.” It was then that she noticed the way Valsert stood. “Hey, is something wrong. You look like those boots of yours are a tad too tight. It the mountains up there in Islay and you’ll need a pair of comfy boots if you want to keep up.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

“Ahh…I see” Val began as he tried to at least appear as if he knew what the woman was talking about. The politics of the word were lost on him. “Pay? Oh, yes I suppose so, if you are a good archer.”

light! This one is a talker. He thought but I suppose it beats solitude

With a shake of his head and a soft chuckle at what he was about to say to this total stranger, he continued.

“Oh, yes, my boots. Well it is a long story you see, but it mine were eaten by a daemon yesterday.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The woman’s hand came up to pull a stray leaf out of Valsert’s hair and she did it in a rather casual manner, flicking it away. That simple motion brought her fingers into the Sergeant’s vision and calluses on her index and middle finger were clear. When he spoke about his boots being gone she cast a look down and grinned widely. “Ooooowwwww, that had to have been interesting. He ate just yer boots? Nothing more?” She was clearly amused by his story. “All toes in place?” She tilted her head a bit and bit her lower lip. “Was it a she-demon? I hear they like to take a bite out of men. But this is the first time I hear of a demon that eats shoes.” The more she spoke the more her accent surfaced, but for now Valsert could not quite place her origin.
valsert

Post by valsert »

It was with some effort of will, that Valsert did not pull away from the casual attention. Other then a healer or two, this was as close as the man had been to a woman in a long long time….ok, ever.

What tha… was that a flirt? LIGHT, I wouldn’t know a flirt if it smacked me across the arse and called me sugarbear. He thought as he began to feel a burning heat rise up his neck and across his forehead in response to the close proximity of the woman, and her possible flirts. Knowing from experience that the heat was normally accompanied by the rosy tint to his complexion simply caused his shy embarrassment to deepen.

“Um. Yes err I mean no…I mean” he stammered, then paused a flicker to regain his composure.

“I do not believe it was a ‘she’. The daemon dissolved the boots while the fight raged you see, but the healers have done their part.

“Oh…I don’t think I caught your name… I am Valsert” He said in attempt to not only introduce himself but to change the subject.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl was a good couple of inches taller than Valsert and quite a bit more muscular than the Sergeant. As he blushed and stammered to reply, her smile grew into a grin and she inched a bit closer, finding him incredibly cute when he was so confused. "I'm Magda da' Waelkyrige." The name was Throthgardian and so was her accent, which was obvious once she uttered her name.

She tilted her head for a moment, peering at Valsert through half closed eyes and then reached for his cheek and pinched it. "Well, ain't you just the cutest little hero I have ever seen. Fighting demons, and losing your boots. Sugar, you better stick close to me, cause you will need someone to warm your feet if you go around barefoot. And I just can't bear the thought of cute toes, such as I am sure yours are, freezing cause of some evil demon." She winked at him, and then turned her expression a bit more serious. "Did you at least kill that evil demon for getting your boots, honey?"
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Somewhere between the cheek pinch and the pet names Magda put on him, the entire situation became less one of embarrassment, and more one of irritation.

Who does this woman think she is. He thought, just before Magda’s nationality finally revealed its self to him. Instead of finding peace at that knowledge it only irritated him further. The thought that this woman was not actually flirting with him, at least not in the same way the local women would. No, to him it seemed more that she was asserting her dominance over a subordinate sex.

I am no Ice Bitches subservient hound. his mind raced with the irritation for a brief moment before his normally cool emotions calmed himself a bit. I suppose its in her blood and her raising, but if she does not understand the differences between here and there..she should learn. He finished his thought with a hope that subtlety would suffice.

“It is difficult to have cutie toes in a soldier’s boots” he curtly replied. “But yes, we destroyed the demon, and we rescued the three WOmEN that it held captive.”

Was that too harsh to say? Damn it Val, why cant you just not care what others feel. His mind whispered, but indeed it was too late and he spoke again to ease any insult his words may have caused.

“You are Throthgardian, are you not? What brings you to the city…err…other then the war we are standing inline to join?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The boy was cute, and she could not help but like him, despite the slight change in his tone and manner. Have I teased him too much? Poor dear. Men are so passionate and impulsive. Though I would not mind getting to know his passionate side a bit better. She did not want to get him angry or defensive and thus shook her head and smiled. “I am sorry I teased you so. And I did not mean to belittle what you did. You just looked too serious and I wanted to make you loosen up a bit. I seem to have failed.”

His question provided her with a change of subject and she shrugged before replying. “I’ve been fighting for whomever pays me for…..oh, must have been a dozen or so yahren. I was working for a Scion family in Dort when the boss died in a fire. I took a boat here to rest a bit, but this is an opportunity that you can’t pass out. The Duke pays well and plenty and never defaults on the payment. And he treats his men well, and is not stingy on reinforcements. So, I know it won’t be a suicide mission or anything. What about you? You travel the world killing demons or something?”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Valsert thought about her question for a few flickers, as he glanced around at the guardsmen waiting in line. They seemed much like any other time he had seen them while the guard was still sanctioned by the empire, Fun loving, dedicated, and steadfast.

“No. killing demons is not something I would actively pursue.” He said, turning his attention back to his new friend “The truth is, I have only battled with such things three times, each here in this city. Twice under the banner of the Purple Guard…..and once, this last time, simply to stand beside a friend. You and I seem to have something in common here. We trust the Duke to stand behind us.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The line was moving inexorably towards the Embassy doors, a single man, that Valsert remembered from the Purple Guards, the only person in front of them. Men and women entered in, but only small number of them came out, the bulding seemingly devouring people. Magda however seemed undisturbed by the fact, though she did step forward each time the line moved.

Valsert's answer made her laugh out loud and shakes his head, her face turning all serious once more. "You, my dear are just precious. Battled the demons only three times? I'd say that is three times too many. They don't belong to this world and I hope they never find a safe and easy way here again. I've been to Nipponar and I saw what that place looks like." Then she smiled. "You mentioned the Purple Guards didn't you? Have you been hiring yourself to work odd jobs for them or something? I hear they are a rather uptight bunch. Heavy on the rules. Though I heard they did lots of good. Till the riots that is. I wonder what went through that Ulder guy's head when he decided to pull a stunt like that?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

Magda’s laughter finally broke thru the stoic shield that Sergeant Forell had put up against the overly aggressive attention. Thinking that perhaps he had judged her wrongly before, he chose to accept her friendly nature…after all the line was much shorter then before, so escape was at hand if the conversation once again turned to his ‘heroic cuteness.

“Odd jobs? Ahem, no, no. Actually I am, err well I use to be a Sergeant of the Guard before they were disbanded.” He began, watching her reaction to see how the news settled.

“But you are correct of course. I suppose the years of duty around the politicians made many of us sticklers for the law. But catch us off duty at the Dragon, and I bet a Circlet that any one of us can drink ole Bill himself under the table.” Val continued with a broad grin before addressing the more serious topic of the Captain.

“You seem a woman of the world Magda. Surely you know that you can not believe every rumor you hear on the street. Oh they are good to pick thru to find news, but the whole truth can only be found at the source. Well….you found it.

When I said I had fought demons three times it was no tall tale, although my count was off by one. The first is of little account as it was more of abduction then a fight and has little bearing on things here and now. However my second was that fateful day of the riots.

If not for the rapid actions of Captain Ulder, the demons unleashed that day might still be stalking the citizens of this city. The Captain had heard reports of the demons in that place, and took action to see them put down before our city became another Nipponar.

I don’t know who of the city guard might have been aiding those who brought the demons here, but no sooner had we arrived then the city guard came out and tried to arrest us. I think it was they who started the riot while the Captain, a couple other brave soldiers, and I proceeded against the hell hounds that came.” Pausing a moment, Valsert raised his sleeve to show the scar that remained from the wounds of that day. Then unsheathed his Guardsman’s sword to show the etchings left by the hounds blood and saliva.

“A lot of brave soldiers died that day…at the hands of the very people they marched to protect from that evil. Only a handful of us ever returned with our life. Of course no one cared that there were two huge hell hound corpses laying in the street, not when blame needed to be placed somewhere. Somewhere as far away from the city guard and politics as possible.

I wonder just how many citizens actually know the truth of that day. The day the city spurned its hero. For that matter, I wonder how many know that the same Ulder that they blame for that tragedy is the same man who I fought beside to destroy another demon. Twice now that man has lead to the salvation of this city….hell, to the entire Empire. But does anyone know of it? I wonder if anyone has even told them.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Despite her cheerful disposition, and the small smile that still lingered on her lips, Magda listened to Valsert's words, her smile melting away as he told her more. The line move once more, and she was next to enter the Embassy, so they had about a burn or little more of conversation time left, judging by the way line moved so far. "Well, I heard a different story altogether, and mind you I have been here only a couple of days. That Ulder fella seems like one of those…. idealists. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think he ought to open his eyes up a bit and see the world what it truly is. I don't claim that people elsewhere are better, but at least you have honest working people in other places. When you have an entire island that is one big city, things tend to be a bit off. Without honest sweat there is no honest people. And I do not see a lot of farmers or woodcutters around here. People of Citadel have to first learn to work for their food and they will only learn if someone beats that up into their head. Scuse me, love, but men are very unfit to rule. In Throthgard women run things because they care about the future. They give birth to children and they care about what they will leave to them. Men just care about themselves and go about destroying things in their pursuits, not caring how many yahren it will take for the world to heal itself. As long as there is something that they will gain now and have use of it." She turned as the door opened and a female voice called. "NEXT!" Graciously Magda stepped aside and motioned to the door. "Who's going first?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

“I can not say that you are wrong in your views. Truth told, your words may actually hold the wisdom of the world in them. That is not for me to tell. All I can tell, is that which I have seen and know. The Purple Guard marched to destroy an evil, and that march could not wait. Good or bad resulting from it does not change that it was done and was the right thing to do….just disrupted by the bad politics that lead to poverty.”

“Oh no my Queen of Valour, I insist you go first. The view is much better for me that way.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Magda knew a flicker of confusion, Valsert's previous defensiveness still sharp in her memory. Shaking her head she laughed, and then, before the teasing guardsman could react pulled him into a hug and pressed a swift, passionate kiss to his lips. Her lips curled into a grin against his, as Magda took hold of Valsert's wrist and with mischief lighting her eyes, placing it on her behind. It lasted no longer than a flicker, and then he was free, with Magda giving him one final wink and turning. "For luck, cutie toes."

The door closed behind her and a burn or so passed, before it opened again, a voice calling out. "NEXT!" Stepping inside Valsert found himself in a foyer, several doors leading further into the Embassy. The walls were covered with tapestries of exquisite craftsmanship, but what drew the most attention was a huge marble statue of Duke Erwin on horseback, the attention to detail the artist dedicated to his work incredible. A desk sat under the statue, a blond woman with quite an impressive figure sitting behind it. The cut of her dress dipped dangerously low, her bosom threatening to spill from her dress, but somehow staying contained. Her bright blue eyes rose to regard [/b]Valsert[/b] for a flicker as a smile graced her lips. "Welcome. I am Thavia. I guess you are here to sign up for the War? Could you give me your name, previous experience and rank if you held any?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val stood dumbfounded from the moment Magda went inside, until the door opened again. His remark had mostly been to ease any hurt feelings the woman may have had from him remaining so stand offish and in jest as well. However her actions certainly seemed to hold no joke hidden behind them.

“Well..um…that was certainly unexpected. Nice, but uh, ya..” He thought as he tried to regain his composure and remove the rosy burn from his face once again.

Putting it all behind him was proving diffictult even as the door opened again and his own summons came. Yet he responded quickly to the call, and entered the building, only to find Thavia, which did not help him to concentrate any more then his experience outside.

“Hello Thavia, Ti…err…Its good to meet you. Yes ma’am I am here to sign up.” He began, while keeping his eyes firmly locked upon her face and his words from causing insult.

“Valsert Forell is my name. I am of the Purple Guard, rank of Sergeant.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The woman noted down his name and rank, and put the paper on a large pile to her side. "Excellent." She was smiling pleasantly, almost too cheerfully. "I have heard of you. Been involved in that riot incident with Captain Ulder? One of the few survivors?" She waved any answers off and grew a bit more serious. "Now, I don't know what you have been told outside, but I will explain the situation to you." She took a breath and launched. "There has been an incident in the Pan's Isle. Seems like the forces of Western Kingdom have attacked and have established a base in the town of Aveas. The attack has been kept secret till this morning when Duke Erwin learned of what happened. However, since we do not have a Caesar, we can not send troops there officially. So, the Duke is organizing a mercenary force that is to reinforce the Panling forces already on the island and to hopefully push the Oneists off the island completely. The force will consist mostly of the ex-Purple Guards with some attached mercenaries whose loyalty and discretion can be confirmed. Do you still want to sign up and do you have any questions?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

For once, the former Guardsman did not speak up in defense of their actions that day. He had retold that story so many times now, including flickers before entering the door here, that he was unsure he could stomach telling it again. Although it was his story, and very few others had lived to speak of it, it did not do justice to those who fell if he remained silent each time he was asked to speak. So it was with mixed feelings that Valsert accepted Thavia’s silencing motion, and listen to her information.

“Light save us…is that all that can be mustered…will it be enough” He thought as her story unfolded in all its severity and limitations.

“Thavia? All of these people who have come, why are they not all being accepted? Surely a sword at hand is worth two stuck in the ice of Trothgard. I am sure that the Purple Guards will rally to the cause, but even if all of those who remain come….will it be enough?”

Val began to rub the bridge of his nose between a thumb and forefinger as he ran through the numbers, tactics and terrain. The resulting figure could be summed up in one word…Difficult.

“Yes Thavia, I still wish to sign up. Who is in charge of the forces here, and those already on the Isle? Where can I find them, and how many peoples names do you have in that stack of papers?”
Last edited by valsert on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Thavia sighed and her smile faded somewhat, but it still lingered. "The Duke is not supposed to be doing even this, let alone send a full army to the Pan's Isle. Without a Caesar no member nation of the Empire can send troops to the other island without invitation. And since the communication with the Panlings was lost a couple of days ago, they have not formally asked for assistance." She shrugged and sighed once more. "The Duke can't afford to have rumors spread how he is meddling. Not until this all is resolved favorably. Otherwise there would be problems."

She smiled at his next questions and patted the stack of papers. "Four hundred ninety seven. Ninety eight counting you. Mostly infantry, but the Duke is negotiation a route for the transfer of the Dort's Sunfire Brigade." Though not so well known as the Purple Guard, the Brigade was still fairly famous. Duke Erwin's elite troops, extremely well trained and equipped, fielding mostly heavy cavalry. "The forces already there have orders to gather on the other side of the portal and report to whomever is in charge of the Panling forces. We know that the Gatetown is still in the Panling hands. Lieutenant Barmus is already there, hopefully gathering the troops as they arrive."
valsert

Post by valsert »

No communications, rumors of reinforcements that likely will never arrive, units scattered across two islands with a hope that someone else is gathering them up, to fight in a war that is not yet sanctioned by the government of the island that is under attack, with no political leaders willing to put their neck on the line without proper authority of a ruler who does not exist. Aye, Sounds like an army at its finest to me. The thoughts ran through his mind even as Thavia continued to speak, before being ending with a resigned sigh through his nose, shortly after she stopped talking.

“Thank you Thavia, for the information. At least there are some experienced Cadre in position to take charge and lead us forward. I assume by your inclusion of me as number four hundred and Ninety eight, that I am accepted as loyal. Where do I go from here?"

The words were addressed to the lady clerk, although Valserts mind was already wondering to Pan's Isle just as his eyes no longer focused on Thavia, but looked around to determin where the others had gone and he was to follow.

Illuminatus Light my path, someone has to save this war from the officers before they get us all killed
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Thavia smiled broadly and nodded. "Yes, you are accepted through your membership in Purple Guards. They are deemed loyal and discrete as a group so none of them was rejected, unless they refused to be part of this endeavor." She rose and pointed towards a door on her left. "Through that door, and to the left. Second door. The portal operators will take care of you there." She waited till Valsert was out of the room, before calling out. "Next!"

Once past the doors Sergeant found himself in a long hallway, lush carpets covering the floor. The door she indicated indeed led to a room, and within stood a portal, a gleaming golden arch with runes along its surface. Shimmering blue field filled the space within the arch, a man dressed in long flowing robes standing next to it, along with a dozen or so soldiers, some of whom were known to Ulder as former Purple Guards. Magda was nowhere in sight, possibly having been rejected by the lady receptionist. As soon as Valsert came in the mage stepped to the portal and touched several runes along its surface, each flaring with purple fire and then the surface cleared revealing a field on the other side. "Hurry up please."

OOC: We are done here. Contact Vanadius about transferring to PI

Post by Guest »

Percivat stood somberly in line amongst the crowd, shifting at times from foot to foot, wondering if he was simply and quite foolishly wasting his time.

Light, but I've been here all day, and still I've not a clue if I'm doing the right thing. The dark-haired young swordsman frowned at himself and then caught his breath. Wait, what's this? Is that...? Is that Sgt. Valsert?

"NEXT!"The voice from within the embassy called out, and the column of applicants shuffled forward yet again. The former officer of the Purple Guard stepped forward and dissappeard from Percivat's sight. He'd been standing not ten yards ahead of the young man, and Percivat had never noticed Valsert ahead of him in line.

Percivat sighed lightly to himself, and shook his head. He'd probably not even remember me, anyway. My Grandfather, perhaps, but not me. We were only introduced that once, and at the time...

At that time, he'd only been a common man, he'd been thinking. A new frown formed on his face, as he finished the thought...that he was still a common man. His plan to seek out and join the Purple Guard had been shattered less than a tenday ago.

The Purple Guard was no more. And surprisingly, few people seemed to recognize the loss. More commonly, they simply were enthralled with the spectacle of the new Imperial Guard.

But not Percivat. His Grandfather had once been an officer in the ranks of the Purple Guard, retired with honors, and by the Light, that meant something. Didn't it?

The young swordsman stepped forward with the line, again, wondering what exactly he was doing. True enough, he'd recognized a few of the former Purple Guardsmen in line...and now Valsert himself, but was this the right choice of action for him?

Father will have a fit when he finds my letter, telling him I'm off to join the war effort. I'm sure Grandfather will understand, though. If its not possible to become a Purple Guard, any longer, then I shall simply have to find a way to honor their memory and their oaths.

He'd written this last and signed his note simply, Percivat. Then, he'd gathered his belongings, including the sword that had been his Grandfather's, and headed off to the Dort Embassy. Word had been thick in the taverns and in the cryer's mouths. The Duke was seeking men.

Percivat would be one of those men, Light willing.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Welcome. Should you choose to join the War of the one, please PM Vanadius and good luck. We can still play this scene out, but due to the need to make it possible for people to join, the outcome will be known. I still might get you into a bit of trouble. PM me with your choice.

Not all of those gathered before the Embassy that day were members of the former Purple Guard, but they were the majority. One did not disband a unit of almost a thousand warriors without making a major change to the mercenary market of the area. It was good news for the Duke as it meant he could afford to be picky and take only the best and also be able to get the best, considering the Purples reputation. What was perhaps a bit strange was the way people whom even Percivat knew, pretended they did not know each other, keeping to themselves and quiet for the most part.

It was the pair of mercenaries before him that provided chatter, for an adhiel and dwarf conversing to one another in rather foul language could be none other. The dwarf bore a rather crude looking crossbow on his back, wearing finely wrought leather armor and a short sword at his belt, while the adhiel wore a slightly rusted chest plate, over a long heavy, chain shirt, a well kept two-handed sword resting upon his back.

"You reckon we is gonna get taken?" The dwarf had slightly pitched voice, and at closer look, something that looked like breasts under his, or was it hers armor., while the adhiel spoke in a throaty whisper, possibly due to the scar along the side of his throat.
"Sometimes you can be so thick, Gerd. What kind of question is that? We got us a fuckin' reputation. Sure we worked for merchants and lot mostly, but Cap'n Urdal vouches for us."
"Who?"

There came a smack across the back of dwarf's head and he, or was it a she, reached for the sword, grumbling.
"Ow, why did ya do that fer? There ain't no...... Oh, yeah right Cap'n Urdal." He caught a scathing glance from adhiel and nodded, smiling slightly.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”