Audience at the Archives MT SAM 29th

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Tabeann leaned back more comfortably in the chair and listened to Danomel's expose on magick, schooling her features into and expressionless mask. It was necessary to do so, lest her expression betray any mistake or misconception her had on the nature of magick and cause him to start doubting and lure his mind away from the task at hand. She needed to learn what he thought magick was, without him trying to deduce where he had made a mistake and what was the correct answer. She wanted him to make the mistakes so she could correct them.

It was once he was done that she simply nodded and leaned forward. Soft murmur and minute motions of her hands and a sphere was formed in the air above her table. "This is Tazlure. The physical realm. Tether as it is also called. The place where humans, adhiel, gnomes and all the other races live. Inherently it is not magickal and everything upon it is subject to set of laws that govern our existence. It is quite orderly." The sphere rotated and an archipelago came into view before Danomel's eyes, a single island, the one that was Citadel standing out as orange fire surrounded its shores.

"But, it is not that simple. Tether is not the only realm that exists. Two more surround it. One…." A slight wave of her hand and another sphere surrounded the first one, misty grey and with less defined edges, not quite touching the original one, but with tendrils quite like smoke touching it here and there. "…. is the Aether. Domain of magick. Gods and faeries live there. It is a land of vast potential and is far less structured. Mind rules supreme there, and he who finds himself there is able to shape reality around him or herself with mere thought. Unless of course someone else, with a more focused mind resists such change. It is how the realms of Gods come into place, the divine minds shaping a section of the Aether into a place of their liking. Outside of these vast realms reality is not so firm and it can be molded. Within you would have to pit your mind against one belonging to a God in order to change it. Not an easy task to accomplish."

Her voice still held its singsong quality, as the words flowed out in harmony, following the line of her narration. "Once we die our souls go there or so the belief goes. But, that is not the extent of the existence. One more plane surrounds the Aether." Another wave of her hand and one more sphere appeared around the Aetheric one, though it could hardly be called a sphere. Chaotic and blood red it swirled all about the Aether. Pressing upon its misty walls. Almost angrily. Pushing. Probing. Attacking even. "Nether. Or Hell as some call it. Very little is known about that realm as all who venture there never come back, or if they do by some chance emerge alive are insane. Or corrupted so much that they refuse to discuss it at all. Demons live there and it is said that souls of those who commit acts of villainy end there. Nether is always hungry for more. More lives. More souls. And Aether serves as our shield against its assaults. Gods wage constant battle with the forces of Nether for our very existence. Or so they say. And I myself am not eager to test it by letting the Nether pass through so we can see what their intentions are." She smiled thinly and proceeded. "Nether is chaos. In its purest form. I am sure there do exist some laws that govern it, but they are probably so different from our own perceptions that we might never understand them."

Then it was time for Danomel to speak. "So, that would be in short how reality is structured, or as close to it as we know. I do not claim that it is the only possible explanation, but it is the one I think is the closest to how things truly are. Now, tell me something. Do you have any questions? And can you explain to me how magick works now? Both magery and priestly magick?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel leaned forward slightly as the first sphere started to form. Focusing his attention on the forming image, he listened carefully to Mistress Tabeann's description of the three realms. While the description she presented was easy enough to follow, especially with the representative imagery, it still seemed somewhat incomplete. However, he was being challenged to render a conclusion based on the presented model, therefore he must assume the information was there.

Several questions leaped to the front of his mind almost imminently. But, biting his tongue for a few flickers, Danomel considered the description and imagery more carefully. That often annoying small voice in the back of his mind reminded him; do not overcomplicate the issue, the simplest answer, the most straight forward method, keep it simple stupid. Stay away from unrelated questions!

"Several questions come to mind" Danomel begins speaking with a deliberate slowness, fighting the urge to rush through this. "Though I don't believe they are really germane to our current conversation."

In spite of his efforts, Danomels speech starts to come somewhat faster. "Tether, would seem to indicate some sort of anchor or fixed point, an interesting sort of name for the physical world. In the representation, the aether surrounds the physical world, ever present, but not quite touching. Assuming we go to the aether when our physical bodies pass, would imply that some non physical part of us is connected to the aether while our physical bodies are connected or tethered to the physical world."

"Just as we have physical senses to perceive the world around us, we should also have mental senses through which we can perceive the aether around us. Just as our bodies can manipulate the physical world, our minds can manipulate the aether. If this is the case, then why are most people unaware of the aether? Probably because it is not a basic survival need; for instance, cave dwelling animals are far less dependent and have a far less developed sense of sight than there conterparts that live above ground."

"While the aether sphere does not quite touch the world sphere, there are places of interaction. The implication being that bits of the aether can be drawn into the world, where the mind can manipulate, shape, and control them. This would be the basis for magick. The only difference, then, between the mage and the priest would be how the magik is initiated. The mage though his knowledge and skill, the priest from his deity."

Danomel frowns, tearing his attention away from the spheres, there was something unsettling about the sphere respresenting the nether regions. "At least that is the conclusion I have drawn from your explanation of the nature of this world."
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Based on what I have told you, your conclusions are accurate." Tabeann smiled. "There are complexities beyond this model of course. Mages are limited to using the energies the surround them for example while priests are limited to the philosophy of their deity."

Tabeann waved her hand in dismissal and swept the spheres away. "As for your query about the rarity of people that can sense the Aether directly, I actually think it more a defense mechanism. I know of one that looks into the Aether always and am amazed that he kept grips on his sanity. As an imperfect analogy, we can train ourselves to hold our breath and thus explore the world under the water. But no matter how hard we train, we are not meant to live underwater and to attempt it is folly. Mortal sight is enough for most people. Only those of strong will should attempt to see more."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

"Would that be the blind Panling you are referring to?" Danomel asks. While he did not know all that many people in the Citadel, Noland definitely fit the description.

Noland had been born blind and it would have been a survival issue in a sighted world. But then again that would imply that anyone born blind should have a high probability of developing similar abilities. So there might be something to the self defense theory.

"So following that line of reasoning, the first step would be awareness of the internal mechanism or safeguard, then learning to control or override it. Sort of like the breathing example. Even though we breathe automatically, people can exercise a limited amount of control over the process, and with practice, increase that control."

Danomel falls silent, as he turns the concept over in his mind. Breath in, hold it. Breath out hold it. The longer the impulse to breath is blocked, the stronger it becomes. One squints at bright light or covers the ears to loud noises, a semi automatic response. Or perhaps more like trying to control the heart rate. Still, awareness is the key. There is no direct physical manifestation to experience through sight or sound. Awareness resides in the mind. But the mind blocks the awareness from itself. So there should be a closed portal which has always been there. A door that is overlooked because it has always been there. So how does one find it? Do I examine every part of the mental landscape, or are there clues or guideposts?

“So how does one get past ones own defensive mechanisms?” Danomel asks.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Force of will. Concentration." Tabeann replied and then smiled wryly. "Easy to say I know but it comes down to that in the end. There are meditative forms that allow one to block out the distractions and fears of the body and let the mind focus on an awareness beyond the usual senses. The formal term used is centering. We are part of the Tether, Danomel. The Aether is anchored by us as much as it is by the rest of the world. To attune your senses to the Tether that is you is to attune your senses to the Tether as a whole. From that place, you can look out onto the Aether beyond."

Tabeann paused a moment to let that sink in. "I cannot tell you exactly what you will see though. Each practitioner of magic perceives the Aether differently. Each mind is a different lens which gives a different image." Tabeann pointed to one of the flickering candles. "Any mage that looks at the flame on Aether will see the energies of fire dancing there. One would see red threads while another sees clouds of red gas. That could be a red ruby, a dancing imp, musical notes." Tabeann shrugged. "What cipher your mind will use is unknown but you will know fire when you see it. Rest assured of that."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel ponders this latest bit of information. "I suspect that learning to swim would be a good analogy. A person could know much about the process, but the knowledge is not overly effective until one has jumped in swam at least once."

Danomel pauses for a flicker to consider an additional ramification. "If I understand the methodology correctly, I must first focus upon or center myself, basically disregarding the physical body and changing conscious focus to... " Danomel takes a moment to grapple with an adequate descriptor to articulate the concept as he understands it. "... ones mental or spiritual body."

Danomel focuses his attention on the candle flame that Tabeann indicated, letting the surroundings fade from his awareness, focusing his mind to the task.

Center, focus on the details of my own existence, maintain awareness while mentally subtracting physical perception; touch, taste, smell, sound, and sight. Focus solely on the perceptions of the mind; suppress the physical stimuli of the body. Now focus on the flame. Maintain awareness of its existence while suppressing any physical awareness of it. Don't force it and don't turn form it, stay calm, and stay focused. Perceive it only with the mind.

Not knowing what or how exactly to expect any manifestations of the aether, Danomel waits, trying to remain open to the possibilities.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Not to your mental self." Tabeann corrected him. "That kind of introspection while useful for much will not aid you here. Once you have sunk into your center, once you know the you that is you, focus that awareness on the world beyond. Use a mental eye to look upon a mental world. I will aid you." She assured Danomel and fell silent as he began to concentrate.

From time to time, Tabeann would speak to direct his meditations. Her voice was soft and soothing. Never did it disrupt his concentration or jolt him from his reverie. She guided him gently as the lamp he focused on burned steadily away. Then it felt right. It was not an ignoring of his physical senses as Danomel had imagined it. Instead Danomel became so comfortable with his physical self that nothing it told him could interfere with his concentration on the world beyond.

OOC: Now I give you a choice. Either you can describe to me what you see on the Aether, you can send me a PM with the kind of metaphor you wish to use for magic and I'll write what exactly you see on the Aether, or I can make up the whole thing for you. Your call.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel realized suddenly that his concept of centering ones self was something quite different from what Tabeann was referring. It was sufficiently different, that it would have been unlikely that he would have arrived at it without aid. And it did make an odd sort of sense. Like trying to batter down an unlocked door, it was more about finessing oneself rather than forcing ones self. With this sudden bit of insight, he realized that he had been working up a bit of mental tension. Shifting his focus, he let it go.

As Tabeann guided his efforts, Danomel became aware of something strange. There were what appeared to be tendrils of what seemed to be smoke given off by the flame at odd angles. Focusing on these odd occurrences, he became aware of a sort of orange red mist surrounding the flame. Shifting his focus to the strange mist, it seemed to quickly condense into some sort of elongated liquid bubble. Though that was not necessarily correct, for no bubble he had ever seen could possibly hold the shape this did. Blob would probably be a better term for this. The liquid seemed to have the consistency of cold syrup in that it oozed rather than flowed. Seemingly out of context with a viscous liquid, the surface seemed to pulse and vibrate with swirling semi translucent colors ranging from red to orange.

As this blob floated before him, Danomel tried to make sense of the pulsing and shifting surface colors. He sensed that while not part of the flame, it was somehow connected to the flame. As he considered the actual physical flame, the strange shape before him seemed to quickly evaporate into a reddish mist, then just as suddenly, the mist was gone.

Taking a deep breath, Danomel lets out a sigh. He realized that he had no idea how long the experience had gone on. “That was…” he started to say, but decided he would need some time to put the whole experience into proper perspective. “I don’t know if I can give proper emphasis to any words that might describe what just happened.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Then I think it safe to say that you succeeded." Tabeann smiled slightly. "The first time is always the hardest. Once you have trained in the technique, it will be the work of a moment to see the Aether when you wish. Once you can see the Aetheric forces reliably then you can learn to touch them and to weave them and just as important to protect yourself from them. But those are lessons for another day." Tabeann decided. She moved over to a bookshelf and slid out a hefty tome bound in sleek brown leather.

"As a follower of Aurelius I know you are used to figuring things out on you own." Tabeann smirked. "This will help guide your steps. I will put aside time in my schedule as I can to instruct you in return for your assistance manging the archives. Is that a fair bargain?" She offered.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel stood quickly and took the rather thick volume from Tabeann’s hands. With a half smile he hefts the volume and glances at the cover. “Yes, I can well appreciate that particular aspect. And yes, your offer is more than fair.”

Sensing that the interview was about over, and given the current course of recent events, Danomel made a decision. Running his hand over the smooth leather of the volume he held, thinking how to phrase his next question.

“Mistress Tabeann, I would ask another question if you do not mind. Beyond being the Imperial Archivist, I am unsure of your status, and Barrett might be a better person to ask. But earlier you mentioned I might make a good priest of Aurelius. I have to say that it is something I have been on my mind for many days now. If I had a somewhat more suspicious perspective, I might conclude that recent events have been guiding me in this direction. So I find if fortuitous that you mentioned it, as it is a path I do plan to walk. And I feel I am probably going need a starting point and a direction.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is the tradition of the Aurelian church that any aspirants must find their own way to the faith and traditions of the Learned One. In such a way they hope that you will come to new discoveries and insights rather than diligently learn what has come before." Tabeann explained.

"However, while I respect the Aurelian clergy I am not one of their number and so am not bound by their traditions." Tabeann's eyes twinkled with amusement. "Treat it like any other research project, Danomel. You will find few texts on or about Aurelius but you will find references to works and reviews scattered throughout the archives. Meditate upon what you find and let your mind find the pattern that connects the many pieces. If he is calling you, you will find him." She assured him.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

A smile touches Danomels face. “It is much as I have suspected from past conversations with Barrett. I shall have to study the issue, but I have yet to find any restrictions on the methodology used to discover ones way. I do thank you for your words and your advice.”

Danomel takes a flicker to digest recent events. “Well, one should earn ones wages, so the question I need to ask is when do I start?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"First thing tomorrow." Tabeann replied. "We shall expect you at the first mark of morningtide. Feel free to explore the archives until then on your own if you like. I'll be sure to let the staff know you'll be one of them. "Welcome to the archives Danomel. Good fortune in your search."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nods. "First mark morning tide it is then."

With a slight bow Danomel says "And again, I thank you for your time and aid."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Fin.

Thread skilled!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”