UoM: Initial Evaluation: Haldane: Sam 29 MT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

UoM: Initial Evaluation: Haldane: Sam 29 MT

Post by Tristam »

The ball of light led Haldane through the winding stone halls of the University. Each closed door hinted at a new mystery within but they must wait for another day for his glowing guide forced a swift pace. Somehow, the halls felt tense to the young man as if the fast pace was to get him a place of safety. Eventually it stopped before a door made of hardwood that was slightly yellowed with age. A brass tag on the wall beside it read:

B. Redgrave, Mentor & Student Administrator, Faculty of Theoretical Elementalism

The door was slightly ajar allowing Haldane a view of the room beyond. A tall thin man dressed in maroon robes sat at a desk literally buried under paperwork. If asked, the mentor would have maintained he had a system to it - would even have attempted to prove this, although the proof itself, logically, would also have made sense only to himself. As could be expected, his office mirrored the desk: there were piles of books everywhere, and if there was any sort of order to the books in his bookcase, it had probably been invented somewhere in the Eastern Empire. In fact, there was something systematically disorganized to the office, and the only thing that gave it away as part of a place of the learned was the strong, vibrant smell of old books and paper.

The ball of light did not await any social niceties. It flew directly up to the professor and winked out. The scroll in its center dropped on top of the stack of scrolls before him. Professor Redgrave looked up at Haldane and blinked a few times. "Ah a new student. Please come in and sit down while I look over your scroll." There were several chairs and stools in the office. Each one had a thick stack of books or papers resting on it.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Haldane

Post by Haldane »

Haldane sped through the endless hallways with brisk gait, even more so than when he had first arrived in Citadel as he was guided very forcefully by the crowd. Very soon he became aware that his legs profusely disagreed with the globe’s choice of speed and they cramped in opposition, but Haldane carried on despite the pain and managed to put it out of his mind for the time being. After several more corridors he soon came to an antiqued door, slightly ajar, which the orb floated through without hesitation, though Haldane reacted in a different manner. Stopping in front of it, he spied a small tag on the wall, making all who viewed it aware of who resided in this room; Haldane felt the embossed letters that read- Redgrave and warmly smiled. He felt as if…well he didn’t exactly know what he felt, but he knew that it was good and that it was all he needed to know. Now, having a positive outlook on what was to come, he peered inside the study very briefly to see that the orb had placed the scroll bearing the information that the mentor required and promptly vanished. Haldane was already through the door making his way along a path that was created by the absence of books. As he precariously made his way through the piles of tomes and texts, he was made aware by the tutor that he was permitted to rest his legs, and so he grabbed for the nearest chair, making sure to gently place the pile of books, which previously called the chair its home, onto another less cluttered chair. Finally seated and legs recovering, his eyes wandered about the study, viewing the mess that seemed to be the room’s foundation- Haldane liked it, he admired Professor Redgrave’s refreshing approach to organization…or lack there of.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A less cluttered chair proved rather difficult to find but with a little judicious shifting he managed to find a stack with a wide enough base to slide his pile on top. The chair he sank into was not overly comfortable. The cushion had long ago been squashed flat by weighty tomes. Still it was a place to sit and Haldane's legs were happy of that.

Professor Redgrave scanned the scroll before him and then looked up to scan Haldane in a similar manner. "So you have a passion for magic but no real focus for that passion." He summarized. "Good. Too many students enter these halls convinced they know their ultimate destiny. Much better to face the world with an open mind in my opinion."

Redgrave creaked back in his chair. "So Haldane, tell me of your studies to this point. How have you prepared for this opportunity to prove yourself?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Haldane

Post by Haldane »

OOC: sorry for such the long wait.

IC: At the end of the professor's question it dawned on Haldane that he had not persued any form of education the the realm of magick prior to this omoent. Hestiantly he began to speak. " Well sir, this is my very first time pursuing the studies of magick. I have not learned anthing regarding it Professor Redgrave, sir. I was hoping that this would be my first experience with magick; I have made no preparations simply because ... well... I have not had the means to do so. I came with only the idea in my head, but it wills me forward and I believe that it is enough to drive me to steep my mind in its arcane knowledge." Haldane peered back at the Professor, hoping that his hosesty would redeem his ill-prepared self.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Have you truly learned nothing?" Redgrave queried incredulously. He leaned forward in his chair to examine Haldane more closely. "Or do you underestimate what you have learned up to this point? I presume you know your letters at the very least yes? How about meditation or similar mental concentration techniques? Mathematics? Logic? Herbalism or alchemy?" He asked. Lack of magical studies was certainly not uncommon but a lack of scholarship would be truly worrisome.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived due to lack of response.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”