To catch a Thief - MT Samheen 30th

Moderator: Mods

To catch a Thief - MT Samheen 30th

Post by Guest »

Sedak walked slowly through the Citadel ring, his eyes scanning the surroundings for a suitable spot. Suddenly he spotted a low stone wall, quite smooth and about calf height that would be perfect.

He vaulted over it and removed the card deck from his bag, then placing the bag between his feet. He shuffled the cards about in his hands for a few seconds before placing three of them face down on the cold stone.

He scanned the occasional passers by, looking for someone to catch his eye.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The wide streets of the Patrician’s Ring were relatively empty this morningtide. A few servants scurried by on errands for their masters, whilst a number of traders were making deliveries to some of the grand manor houses located in the area. The spot where Sedak had chosen to perform lay just outside a mansion largely concealed by a high, ill-maintained stone wall. Through the closed iron gates it was possible to see a rather overgrown garden and a large, plain house dominated by a tall clock tower. A grey-bearded old man could be seen peering through the gate.

Sedak would have probably drawn a larger crowd for his tricks in the busier Inner Ring. However, a few curious passers-by soon congregated by the wall. Foremost amongst these were a pot-bellied merchant and his delivery boy. The small boy, who looked scarcely more than ten yahren old, gratefully deposited a large, heavy sack on the floor whilst he watched Sedak. The boy had an endearingly eager look in his eyes. The merchant, who had a modest pouch securely fastened to his belt, folded his arms and looked disdainfully at Sedak. The small crowd waited for the dark-haired man to begin his routine.

(OOC: thanks for the edit)
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Sedak quickly took stock of the merchants money bag, and began his routine.

"You my good sir! You look like a wise and forthright gentleman. Here's a challenge that someone of your obvious intelligence and resources could complete without even blinking! Here in front of me are three cards, just three cards. I wager that for the measly price of one circlet, you could guess which one of these cards is the lady. Come now sir, indulge my curiosity!"

He bowed extravagantly, and raised his voice slightly so that the people behind the merchant could here him.

"Surely a man of your notable prowess and strength of mind could find one card in three?"

He spread his arms, and waited for the merchants reply.
Guido Cercatoro

The rotund merchant snorted in response to Sedak. He removed the purse from his belt, pulled open the string with which it was tied and deposited a circlet on the table. Retaining the purse in his hand, he let out a loud guffaw.

“I have seen this trick many times. So, don’t think you can fool me.” The merchant leant forward to get a closer look at the cards on the wall. “Now, show the cards to me so that I can see that there really is a lady there. I want to see all three clearly before you do your pitiful little sleight of hand. And then, I shall be a circlet richer.”

The gate of the nearby manor swung open and the grey-bearded old man wandered slowly and somewhat uncertainly over to the wall. He stood to one side of Sedak, humming softly with a gentle smile on his face. Although the elderly man had a somewhat crumpled look about him, it was evident that his clothes were of good quality but of a slightly dated fashion.

A man towards the rear of the crowd caught sight of the new arrival and bowed his head muttering quietly, “My Lord.”

Post by Guest »

Sedak's features twisted to a look of mock horror,

"My lord you insult me! To think that I would dare to fool such an obviously intelligent and sharp gentleman as yourself cuts me to the core! This is merely a game of skill and chance! Nothing more I assure you!"

Sedak leans down and one by one lifts each card from the stone wall, showing the lady in the middle. He then lifts all three cards in one hand and shuffles them, before placing each slowly back on to the stone plinth. His eyes subtly shift to the character at his side, looking him up and down discreetly, not knowing what he intends to do...
Guido Cercatoro

The self-satisfied merchant bristled with pleasure at Sedak’s assertion that the man was both intelligent and sharp. It clearly concurred with the trader’s own view of himself. However, the young delivery boy at this side had a smirk on his face and could scarcely resist bursting into laughter. Indeed, the boy had to rapidly cover his mouth with the back of one hand to prevent his amusement becoming obvious to his master.

After Sedak had shuffled the cards and placed them on the wall, the merchant’s face displayed a flustered look. He began to point to the card on his right hand side. “That one, I think,” he said nervously before changing his mind. “No, the middle one, I spotted your attempt to fool me there.” A drop of perspiration dripped from the fat man’s brow down onto the middle card. Finally, he pointed to the card on his left. “That one, that’s the lady.”

As the merchant made his choice, the old man standing to the side of the thief began softly singing a pleasant, lilting tune. It was difficult for Sedak to decipher the words but it seemed to be something along the lines of: “The lady in red, is dancing with me…” Whether the bearded man was making a reference to the lady in the card trick was impossible to tell. In truth, the old man had a rather distracted far-away look on his face.

(OOC: you can assume the merchant failed to find the lady)

Post by Guest »

Sedak notices the page boys failed attempts at stifling his laughter, and very subtly raises his eyebrows to the youth.

With a flourish of one hand, he lifts up the card on the left to reveal...

A six.

Sedak smiles slightly, and raises his voice so that the surrounding crowd can here him.

"Oh dear oh dear, it appears that luck is not with you my lord, a pity a great pity. But to show that I am not a callous host, I offer the good man another go, this time for one crown of his good money, and to further my good intentions, the prize money shall go the Temple of Pecunia, to further the cause of such great a cause. I trust the honorable gentleman has no grievances against this most charitable act?"

Sedak smiles as he bows eloquently to the merchant, taking in the whole crowd with his wide smile., but his gaze wrests on the old fashioned dressed gentlemen to his side, dropping his immediate facade to one of slight distrust...
Guido Cercatoro

A ripple of laughter spread around the small crowd as the trickster revealed the six. However, the merchant didn’t seem to see the funny side of matters. With his face turning a purplish-red colour, he picked up the card and tore it into six small pieces. “There, that’s your six,” he bellowed in triumph, determined to get some small revenge for his humiliation.

“I’ll not give a crown to a charlatan,” continued the red-faced man, before gesturing to the delivery boy. “Come, Pedro.” The boy picked up the heavy sack, gave a wink to Sedak and trotted after the man.

As the merchant passed the old man, he gave a slight bow of the head. “My Lord Verleaux, it is…….good to see you out and about. I am just making a delivery to your manor.”

The old Lord smiled but completely ignored the merchant. At this, the fat and perspiring man gave a weak smile and strode up to the nearby entrance. From a small gatehouse just inside the iron gates, a stooped and elderly fellow emerged to greet the merchant. After a brief conversation, the merchant pointed in the direction of the old man standing by Sedak.

The few onlookers who had observed the fleecing of the merchant quickly drifted away and Sedak was left on his own with Lord Verleaux. Raising his hand to stroke his chin, the old man suddenly addressed Sedak. “You can’t beat a good red wine from Dort in my opinion. The Red Lady is the best, don’t you think? Personally, I prefer it to Islay whiskey.”
Guido Cercatoro

Locked and archived as player has departed.
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”