Northbridge - Entrance to World's Mouth [22nd of Chyril]]

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Northbridge - Entrance to World's Mouth [22nd of Chyril]]

Post by Maeve »

Famed NorthBridge.

Despite the great width and strength of the Upper Scillus River, a great span of stone was built that connected the city of World's Mouth to all points north in the Western Kingdom; a kingdom from which the Mouth had recently declared its independence. Over twenty paces wide and not quite half a marker in length, the great bridge was an architectural achievement of both engineering and artistry. High enough to allow passage of some of the more mundane river ships and barges, the bridge was crowned every fifty paces by a great arch of sculpted stone depicting great personalities of perhaps this city's history. At all tides of the day, traffic could be found upon this great span, traffic of merchants, travelers, and local farmers bringing their wares into the city's great bondhouses.

On the southern end of the bridge, the city of World's Mouth opened up like a dark, hazy forest of tall, majestic buildings. A thin layer of dirty smoke lingers over the city at all times, choking out the stars above and casting much of the city in a near twilight at all times. The river, cut into the city in several small canals, was dark as night and moved with a slow, regal flow down towards the distant Mer de la Luna to the west. As far as the eye could see, the south bank of the Upper Scillus was a great urban mass, lined and developed with river wharves, canals, and riverfront industries, with foul vapors reaching up in the night, floating like mist over the water.

There to greet incoming traffic were members of the city's guard organization. These were dressed professionally, though they wore bright colours and freshly washed clothes over carefully trimmed goatees and wide, decorative hats, each bearing a great plume dyed the colour of the sunset. They were busy checking all incoming carts and wagons for goods being brought into or out of the city, seldom stopping or even approaching simple travelers as they passed.

The legion Neuvelairre was charged with guarding Northbridge, and now that they were not just guarding the entrance to a city but to a nation, their vigilance had gone up. Known as the Red Coats, freshly washed clothes over carefully trimmed goatees and wide, decorative hats, each bearing a great plume dyed the colour of the sunset, the legionnaires questioned everybody vigorously, demanding names, where they came from and what religion they held to. Above all of course, they wanted to know what business brought them to the glorious free city of World's Mouth.

Today was Merday, 22nd of Chyril, a few days into spring.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

He gawked in amazement. What curves! How broad it is. Cresil Bobo marvelled at the sight of Word's Mouth's signature bridge. Squinting at the architectural wonder, he couldn't help but work out how much explosives would be needed to bring it down. Fulled with interest the little gnome sauntered up to it to get a closer look. His donkey, Consuela, tiptoed along with a sense of grace unlike any of her breed, and also very much unlike her owner's cumbersome gait.

As the gnome neared the sturdy parapet, he suddenly halted. A low gasp escaped his mouth. Oh Molten, thou spoils me! What an apparition! His lips curled upwards as Cresil's gray blue eyes seemed glued to the rather plain farmer's girl sitting on the back of her dad's cart. A large load of ruby apples supplied a probably uncomfortable bed for the brown haired girl. Her muddy white skin contrasted nicely with the fruits however, creating quite a stir in Rudolphson's tummy. His Consuela unaware of her master's adoration just strolled on, bumping him hard in the back. With a loud, gnomish curse Cresil fell on his nose.

Enraged the little humanoid snatched the blackjack from his belt and hit his mount on her left front femur. Consuela erupted in a loud squealing, complementing the gnome's swears pretty well. Now mad herself, she snapped at him with her huge teeth. It took all Cresil's guile to avoid any real damage. Still cursing he retreated to give her time to calm down. "Molten take you, you feint!"
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

OOC: Try not to assume too much by creating people that the mods/supporters haven't said are there. I will accept it for the sake of continuity.

As far as Jamie was concerned, the new, more vigilant attitude of his fellow guardsmen was the best thing that had ever happened to the Mouth. Until recently guard duty had been repetitive and boring, with no sense of anything more than impatience pushing them along. Now everyone was proud of their city and eager to protect it. No doubt this would wear away eventually, but for now the smart-looking young man relished it.

Just as he was about to address a particularly attractive young woman, Jamie noticed some sort of commotion farther back in the crowd. Far too concerned with the girl, he waved one of his fellow guardsmen back toward the disturbance.

The farm girl that Cresil had admired opened her eyes to stare at the gnome who was causing such a commotion and disturbing her already uncomfortable sleep. It was then that a shadow fell over him, and Cresil found the silhouette of a guard blotting out the sun, a grin on his lips as if he were the only man on the receiving end of a private joke. The man was easily four feet taller than Cresil -- perhaps more.

"Cafone, please try not to cause a commotion in the crowds. There are a lot of important people here who may not be very patient with you." The name by which the man called him made little sense to Cresil, but the snicker that came from those around him might have indicated that it was not something particularly kind. There was a frown on the farm girl's lips.
Last edited by Keaira Morgandy on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OC: Might have been a tad over zealous. Thanks for the hints.

Still cursing his stubborn mount, Cresil suddenly noted the cloud that robbed him of the heavenly flame above. Slightly disgruntled the pot belly gnome peered up, disgust dragging his brow down. The cloud had the nerve to turn into a man, a tall'un at that! The grin on the human's face forewarned Bobo that something might be up.

As the plumed peacock addressed him, the sniggers following it told him that the man had thrown a taunt at him. Eying the heavy blackjack in his hand and the size of his opposition, the dwarfed gnome decided to use his mouth instead of his hand. "Ah, bu'generali. See, me short, me not even dwarf..." After a clumsy twirl around his own axis, Cresil added: "How could this cause...errr....cause com-mooty? Fer sjur, me could not!" The gnome winked at the sleepy eyed beauty on the mountain of apples.

Slapping his lead filled pouch in the palm of his hand, he pointed at his mule. "Horse is blame! All but crush me!" Not waiting for a response from the guard, the brutal gnome slapped his mount with the weapon once more. With the tranquility in her mind again broken to pieces, Consuela responded by flailing out with her hoofs. One of which headed with dangerous speed towards the tall human's shin. "Demon! Demon!" Cresil yelled. "See?"
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

The guard sneered at Cresil's tentative grasp of their language, obviously amused by it. He also seemed to be quite proud of the fact that he was much taller than the gnome -- so much as to be almost cocky. He did not expect the gnome to strike back, however, regardless of whether or not he did it through his donkey.

The guard had looked away when Cresil began to place the blame on his mount, calling out to his fellow guardsman. "Oi! Jamie! Looks like--" And that was as far as he got. The donkey's hoof collided with the guard's shin, a loud crack heard as the bone fractured, and the guard crumpled to the ground, shrieking and cursing furiously. The farm girl on the back of the cart cried out and those waiting in line began yelling and shouting their objections. The crowd surged, angry voices cursing the gnome while still others cheered for him. It could have gotten ugly, but the guards were quick to act.

Jamie, having turned his head when the guard yelled out to him, saw the whole thing. Despite the fact that a pretty young lady was standing right next to him, he yelled out in shock and surprise. "Faccia di stronzo!" In a flash he had shouted to four other guards who were instantly pushing through the crowd. Sprinting away from the girl without so much as a farewell, Jamie drew his sword and came to a skidding halt between the injured guardsman and the offending Cresil, pointing the sharp tip of his blade at the gnome.

"What is the meaning of this?!" His indignant cry carried over the shouts and yells of the crowd, who were soon silenced by the four guards that Jamie had summoned to control them. Once things had settled they stood behind Cresil, hands on the hilts of their swords. The man before the gnome seemed to be of some authority, and though he was clearly furious he seemed to be ignoring the cries of the guard behind him, who was shrieking that Cresil had attacked him. His blue eyes were trained on Cresil's. "You have just assaulted a guard, sir, and without good reason. If you had wanted a tour of our jails it would have been more suitable to simply ask."

Cresil was surrounded.

Post by Guest »

Many expressions battled for the front row on the little gnome's face. They ranged from stunned bewilderment, then a sneering grin, right down to an evil cackle. As the crowd erupted in indignation, Cresil noted a good amount of support shouts mixed in with it. Within flickers a quartet of armsmen entered the scene, calming the onlookers down.

A visor of innocence slammed down on Rudolphson's face as he glanced up along the blade of the ringleader. Wide eyed he raised his hands - one of which still brandished the heavy blackjack, whilst the other held the rope hanging limply from his Consuela's halter. The mule, satisfied that her kicks had had some effect, meanwhile was the calmest creature in the gnome's vicinity.

The center of everybody's attention felt a flutter of uncertainty flap nervously up his ribcage. Perhaps he shouldn't have hit his mule? As the tall guard accosted him, blamed him, Cresil started shaking, shaking his head. His well coiffured moustache danced around above his lips, as he murmured: "Not me! I never ass-o-lt him! Horsey kick him!" With his hands still aloof, he pulled at the rope holding his mount. Of course, Consuela chose not to move. With legs braced only slightly, as Cresil wasn't quite the body builder, she ignored his efforts to drag her into the human's field of vision. "Me neve' went near guard. Ask anyperson!"

Looking around the black head appealed to the nearest bystanders. As his grey eyes met those of the farmer's girl he pointed at her. "She saw. I went not near him." Taking a hesitant step in her direction he begged: "Loverly lass, tell him. Do tell!"
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

"His donkey!" The guard behind Jamie, still clutching his hurt leg, shrieked angrily. How quickly he had turned from arrogant to sniveling. "He knew that beast would kick me! He made it!"

Jamie's eyes narrowed at Cresil's defense, his sword still held steady. Mumbles from the crowd told him what he already knew: Cresil had not directly come after the guard. Crafty little cafone. Frowning at Cresil, Jamie looked expectantly toward the farm girl he was addressing. Though she shied away slightly when Cresil stepped forward, the farm girl nodded slightly, speaking to Jamie in a small, soft voice. "He didn't touch him, but I think he meant for the guard to be hurt.." Hesitantly she looked back to Cresil, before adding thoughtfully: "The guard called him a mean name."

"Ohh that's just great, a 'mean name' is a perfectly good reason to assault me! Oh yes!" The guard on the ground was frantic with rage as he pointed angrily at Cresil he needs to be locked away, or his donkey needs to be shot!"

Jamie was a picture of calm thought as he turned all of the information over in his head. "Well sir, I can't very well let this go unpunished. What do you think I should do?"

Post by Guest »

Cresil Bobo's frame hiccuped slightly as he fought down his urge to chuckle out loud. As a reaction on the downed guard's shrieks he replied: "Me know not Consuela do. 'Tis doinky. Never knows someone what doinkies do." Glaring at his ride animal he shrugged. "Cannot tell, ever. Own mind she 'asss."

As the guard leader's attention turned to the onlookers, the little gnome slowly dropped his hands. After all the tension seemed to have eased enough to allow it. With his nerves still taut and expectant Cresil finally got to scratching his itching behind. Aaahh... such relief!

The pretty apple girl seemed to have been a good choice to plea his life to. Although, in his mind, she could have left out her own thoughts on whether or not the gnome meant his mule to hurt the guard.

Stunned, that's what Rudolphson was as the lead guard asked his advice on how his punishment would look like. Of course, his first thoughts were that they'd just send him on his way. Looking up at Jamie he realized that the chances were stacked high against that. With a determined expression he proposed: "Doinky's wrong. Me plan naught. She's jus' animale." Thoughtfully Cresil twirled the end of his moustache around and around. "Coul' shot her." I arrived, after all. Don't need the mangy beast anymore. Wouldn't do however to lose the investment. "Me want compe...compens... damage pay, then. Else loose money."
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Jamie scowled at Cresil. It was unfortunate that the gnome had not attacked the guard himself; were that the case, he could have easily been thrown into jail. As it were, the gnome's claims were too plausible for jailing in his own opinion. After a few moments of glaring at the little man, the guard sheathed his sword and nodded to the others, who returned to their posts. A quick glare from Jamie silenced any complaints from the crowd, and the farm girl gave the gnome a thoughtful look before shaking her head gently and beginning to eat one of the apples she'd been laying upon.

Turning his hard gaze back to Cresil, Jamie continued to scowl at him. "Come with me," he finally said, turning and walking smartly back toward the gate. A meaningful look brought another guard holding a sheet of parchment and a quill toward Jamie, who took them, before turning back to the gnome.

"State your name, religion, place of origin, and your reason for coming to World's Mouth." His tone was now unfriendly and formal. Not only had he missed out on a date with a lovely girl, but he'd been unable to arrest the gnome for what was clearly an indirect assault. This morning was not turning out at all the way he had hoped, and it was all Cresil's fault in his opinion.

Post by Guest »

Cresil let his breath escape, which he hadn't realized he had been holding. As the guardsman's head was turned a shrewd grin flashed past. Nobody taunts Cresil Bobo Rudolphson and gets away with it! The guard leader's glares quickly took the sting from the situation. Guards sauntered off to their posts and the onlookers seemed instantly more interested in their charges, companions or a mere speck of dust on their sleeve.

The little gnome stared dreamingly - and not a little envious - at the apple in the farm girl's hand. Never before have I wished to be an apple, but in those hands... A dark growl from the guard in charge woke him from his absurd daydreams. Blinking he peered up at the man. Reluctantly Cresil Bob followed him at his command. Consuela seemed to have vented her grievance towards mankind in general and her master in particularly, and followed remarkably complacent. Distrusting her meek obeyance, the alchemist turned his head to keep an eye on her. To his bafflement, and delight, the wounded soldier lay still cringing on the hard cobbles. It took a huge effort not to stick out his tongue to the fallen warrior. Cresil sure wasn't gonna point out the man's misery to his senior. So, chuckling inside he followed the leader.

In a hard, formal intonation the man demanded: "State your name, religion, place of origin, and your reason for coming to World's Mouth." Grabbing his pot helmet in his sausage fingers he took it off and waved it around. "Cresil Bobo Rudolphson I be named. Religion? Gods! None yet." Actually the gnome believed firmly in Molten the Father, but rumors of religious persecution had even reached Nipponar, so he decided to become religion-less on the spot. Can't be too careful. "Origin be Nipponar, sir Jamie. Reason? Reason...errr... perform! I be illu...illusion... illusion-doer-maker... Yes, make lots golds."
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

The injured guard was being helped up by a larger man, who practically lifted him from the ground as if he weighed nothing and carried him toward the city, no doubt to a doctor. In truth the guard's leg had not been broken, but rather simply fractured. He gestured rudely to Cresil as he was carried through the gate.

Jamie wrote down the gnome's name without hesitation, though when he stated that he had no religion the guard glared down at him. He seemed to consider something for a moment before the quill scratched against the parchment once more, recording that and also his place of origin. When Cresil called himself an illusionist, Jamie scowled down at him. "Really now? Show me a trick, then."

Post by Guest »

Disappointed, Cresil realized that the guard was being assisted after all. As the limp weight was hauled past him into the city, he noted it's rude gesture. Wiping the feet out from under an inner screech of rage, the small gnome managed to sneer at the wounded man.

With Jamie's eyes fixed on him, the illusionist wiped it from his face quickly. "Trick? Err..." Usually his performances needed a great deal of planning and preparation, but he couldn't and wouldn't expect a dumb soldier to understand that. With a deep sigh, he filched through his pockets. A in his breeches he felt a waddle of cotton, which he rolled into the palm of his hand. The left pocket of his jerkin yielded a vial of liquid. Bobo wasn't quite sure what he'd turned up, but he knew that as the two items were in different pockets they had to create somekind of reaction if put together.

Grinning he nimbly unstoppered the little glass bottle. Waving his hands in wide arcs to distract the onlookers - especially the tall guard - he suddenly slapped them together. As the two chemical materials touched, they POOFED!!! The loud bam was followed by a thick, yellow spiral of smoke. Used to his own handiwork, Cresil held his breath. The smoke, of rather fetching coloration, might indeed be highly toxic. Looks nice, though. I should check which chemicals cause it!
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Jamie's gaze was piercing as he watched the gnome fumble about. Obviously he expected -- or perhaps wanted -- Cresil to be lying. However as the bam was heard the guard was quick to move back, scowling at the yellow smoke that spiraled up as a result of Cresil's trick. A few people in the crowd behind the gnome applauded lightly, which only served to annoy Jamie more.

Squaring his shoulders, the guard glared down at Cresil almost as if he wanted him to ignite into flames on the spot, and wrote down a few more things on his parchment. Then, after the smoke had cleared, Jamie leaned down close to the gnome, his eyes narrowed and dangerous.

"Alright Cresil, I can't keep you from entering. But know this: if you so much as piss off the wrong person, you'll be in jail faster than you can frighten your donkey. Now get out of my sight."

Jamie then straightened up and turned his back to the gnome, walking back to his post. It was almost as if the guard was daring Cresil to try something. Normally Jamie would have assisted further, giving directions to the nearest inn and to any other location a new arrival might be curious about, but as far as he was concerned he never wanted to see Cresil again.

Post by Guest »

The little gnome was very much relieved that his little trick had worked. Grinning - as much pleased by the spectators obvious approval, as by Jamie's forced backstep - Cresil Bobo swept his one arm in a high arc swinging it down to the ground whilst bowing. Behind this extravagant move he hid the little bottle again. The illusionist hoped wholeheartedly that he'd forced the little cork stopper back hard enough.

Suddenly the guard's unfriendly eyes were close to his. The man had to stoop down considerably to do so. Rather annoyed by the threatening words, Cresil puffed up his chest. "Cresil Bobo Rudolphson never piss people." Proud of his relatively good manners he added: "Me piss against wall, in dented street; normal way!" Glad to have spoken his mind, Bobo noticed that his words bounced off the broad back of the retreating soldier. With smouldering eyes the gnomish wanderer murmured: "Me no dog!"

Feeling a tad forlorn for a moment a small, acid pocked hand snaked out to regain control of his mount. Gnomish words showered from his lips as he hauled Consuela forwards. "Come fiend, let's get inside this new hell hole of a city. If the hospitality of it's guards is anything to go by, we should treat carefully."
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Jamie took up his post again and scowled after the gnome as he left, now in a thoroughly bad mood as he resumed his duties. The crowd shuffled on, and within a few marks it was as if there had been no disturbance that morning and the gnome had never existed. Cresil encountered no further setbacks as he made his way into World's Mouth.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: Thank you, Keaira! Please welcome Tilha, who will now mind Northbridge for a while!)
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Post by Tilha O`Renimin »

(OOC: Thank you, I'll do my best to build on Keiara wonderful work)

As the worst of Jamie anger calmed, he became even more annoyed at the gnome, realizing that with the temporary departure of three of his men, he was to man the scribe position himself.

Not that the force left was not sufficient to both scribe and hold against an attack, but as a leader, it was his duty to be at the forefront during troubles.

This stronzo... gnome and his animal... better pray the one I don't find him again on my path...
Okay, the faster we can make these people enter, the sooner I can have a break.

"Next! Comedia e finite! Move here!" he waved sternly to a farmer pushing himself his aubergine filled cart, who was looking suspiciously at the last strands of the yellow fumes.
[size=84][i]"Be guided by your heart and your faith."[/i] - Abbot O'Shea 8th teaching[/size]
[size=75]Avatar from [url=http://www.allavatars.com/]www.allavatars.com[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

Dandini virtually bounced down the gangplank as she disembarked at her first port of call, excitement bubbling through her veins like a drug. So here, we are … World’s Mouth! It would be, she hoped, the first of many new places she would experience. She could hardly wait to start exploring this fabulous city.

Taking in a deep breath of foreign air she gazed around the strange scene with a sense of wonderment - the tall majestic buildings, the canals, the strange fog lingering above it all. Not even the strange smell could wipe the smile from her face. Following the general direction of everyone moving towards the city the young blonde moved towards the guards in the colourful uniforms.

“Hello,” she smiled, her excitement bubbling over into her voice, as she fixed her gaze on the nearest redcoat. “Would be so kind as to direct me to an inn of quality?”
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

OOC: sorry for the wait, being a bit overloaded recently...
IC:

The young redcoat seemed to hesitate a flicker when addressed by the blonde girl.
Oh yes, I'd like to escort you to a proper Inn!

But finally, his sense of duty got the better of him and he simply replied with a smile.
"The Flying Dortman, in Highton, is generally considered as a quality inn, signorina. And with excellent food. But before you go, you'll have to give your details for the record."
The young guard nodded towards the scribe table where Jamie was finishing recording the entrance of an olive-skinned couple. Then, he returned to check the cart of tomatoes behind Dandini for anything dangerous or otherwise forbidden.

"Next!" Jamie called, looking at the blonde woman. "Signora?"
Sometime, being the scribe was not that bad, after all...
[size=84][i]"Be guided by your heart and your faith."[/i] - Abbot O'Shea 8th teaching[/size]
[size=75]Avatar from [url=http://www.allavatars.com/]www.allavatars.com[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

(ooc: That’s quite all right.)

“The Flying Dortman,” Dandini repeated with a smile, savouring the sound of the words over help lips - such a lovely sound, such a lovely image! Oh, it boded well that it conjured up such images of soaring through the skies as well as another place on her list of areas she fully intended to visit.

“Thankyou,” she uttered, flashing an even bigger smile at the redcoat. “My trunk is being unloaded now, if you could make sure its delivered to the Flying Dortman then, that would be simply wonderful.” Without a second thought, without waiting for his reply, merely assuming that he, like most other people in the world, existed merely to do her bidding, she moved over to the table with its scribe.

“Hello, good scribe,” she greeted him with in singsong voice, her excitement at arriving at World’s Mouth clearly bubbling over in her voice. “I am Dandini Valentine, visiting from Muchislie to visit your fair city and now bound for the Flying Dortman.” It all seemed very straight forward, she couldn’t imagine any other information he might need to know.
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Trunk? Unloaded? Where?
The young guard looked around Dandini, but, failing to notice any carriage or servant, simply shrugged and got back to the tomatoes.
Not my job anyway!

With the long majestic bridge behind the blonde girl, the docks for foreigners on its northern side were now out of sight.

Jamie reply at being called scribe despite his uniform was cut short by the information supplied in the rest of the sentence. He stayed silent a few flickers while noting Dandini's name in a coarse but legible handwriting.

"Ah, grazie, signora Valentine. I will also need your reason for visit, and your religion."
He had another look at her and frowned, though her fair skin looked deliciously exotic. A young girl of quality as she seemed, alone and empty handed, with no servant nor luggage? Was she really what she seemed?

"Do you have any domestics that I should record? Or anything noteworthy in your possession?"

Post by Guest »

Really, nothing was ever as simple as it ought to be! Whatever he needed to know her religion for Dandini could not even begin to imagine, if she were not caught up in the excitement of the moment she might even have stopped to query all his silly questions. “I’ve already told you the reason for my visit, I’m visiting – that’s all. I simply wish to see the city.” Really was that such a hard concept for him to grasp. With a small sigh and a roll of her eyes she looked at the scribe as if he were ever so slightly simple when she tackled his next question. “Well, if I’m from Muchislie …” Obviously she was aware that many religions existed, many Gods were out there in theory, but she had never really stopped to consider that the majority of the population did not worship the same God as she did – who was in actual fact the only one really worthy of much attention. “The Mother,” she said as if it should be obvious.

Domestics? What did that mean? What would be the point of travelling with servants from home. It would hardly be a grand adventure with her fathers spies on her back the whole time. Looking from side to side she shook her head. “No animals, no slaves, no servants.”

Really, the questions just got sillier and sillier. “In my possession? Unless you consider the clothes I stand in noteworthy,” and quite possibly, she reasoned, he might, “then no. In my luggage there are clothes and not much else.” The mention of her luggage made her recall her father and his magnanimous attitude on such occasions. Drawing the smallest coin she had from her purse she tossed in the direction of the redcoat she had instructed to claim her chest. “For your troubles,” she said with a smile, feeling well pleased with herself.

Post by Guest »

Sorinna, astride her equine companion Rahee, held open her mouth in awe, utterly stunned by the beauty of the bridge. In her homeland, 'bridges', as they called them, were nothing more than planed logs across a creek. Those crossings of old were dwarfed by this...monument of human engineering. The river, too, was certainly something else, but she wasn't here to see a river.

The achadhiel dismounted, and patted her steed on the neck. "See, we're finally here!" She said to him, and the horse replied with snort and a flick of his tail. At that, she laughed.

From what Sorinna could see, there was a checkpoint set up, with a line a few persons long. A scribe, along with more than a couple of guards, was asking incoming travellers a few questions and sending them off. Deciding that she should join the line before it gets too late, she made her way to the clump of guards, with Rahee in tow.
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Antonio soon waved the tomato cart in front of Sorrina through the gates. Apparently, locals known by the guards did not have to stop by the scribe table.
The cart clearing the way, the achadhiel found herself viewing the scribe table behind a young woman. At that moment, Dandini flipped a coin towards Antonio, but the young guard stayed so surprised that the copper rolled on the bridge pavement and ended its course in front of Sorrina.

A pagan! Suddenly, the blonde girl became much less attractive to Jamie while he noted the fact down. Even if yes, her clothing was deliciously exotic.
"Erm... Two things, signora Valentine", he said with a cold voice.
"First, World Mouth, as a free city, authorizes any belief, but no public display of heathen religion should trouble the citizens.
Second, refrain to offering money like that to guards. I will be lenient for this time, but beware this could be construed as a try at corruption."
Jamie cast a stern look at his young subordinate.
What in the name of the One did you discuss with this lady?
Antonio, for himself, was not that stern about religion and was still looking appreciatively to Dandini's body, though a bit puzzled by the copper rolling on the ground. He did not dare to make a move for it under his supervisor gaze. It was just a banner anyways.

"Okay, I have the required information, and you do not seem an immediate threat to this city, so you can enter... Though I still can't understand what luggage you're talking about."
Hoping to have finished with the pagan girl, the redcoat sergeant turned to the next stranger to find himself facing a pointy-eared girl.

Another pagan! What a tide!
At least she had a horse, not a mule. Jamie had always been appreciative of horses.
"Next!" he called, looking more at Rahee than at Sorrina.

OOC: Dandini, you are authorized to enter, though you might want to do something for your luggage first :wink:

Post by Guest »

As she moved closer, Sorinna could see what it was that the young man was doing. This was more or less a required survey than a checkpoint. The man behind the desk would ask you a few questions, then let you go. Simple enough, the achadhiel thought.

Dandini's coin, her attempt at 'corruption', from what Sorinna could hear, ended it's roll between her and the guard. The Red Coat wasn't going to pick it up, as elven girl observed. Picking up the lowly banner, she tapped the lady's shoulder. "Here," She said, giving the coin to the woman. "You dropped this."

Turning to face Jamie, Sorinna greeted him with a happy, "Good day, sir.".

Rahee could tell the scribe was staring at him. He snorted in response.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”