Leaving Dort - Chyril 22nd - Late MT [Aboard the Sea Tiger]

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Leaving Dort - Chyril 22nd - Late MT [Aboard the Sea Tiger]

Post by Guest »

Shallauw thoroughly went through his rough cloth backpack again. He had his spare clothes, his spare shoes and a couple of his favourite rocks that he juggled with. Then, on a second thought he took the rocks out of the bag. He had his double-chain mail on, as well as he tunic and leggings.

Both of his swords were sheathed on his belt, and his money pouch hung round his neck. He was almost completely ready to leave with Salak. There was one more thing he had to do. He hefted his backpack onto his shoulders and walked back to where his dad was sharpening a sword, and said "Well, I'm ready to go." His dad nodded, and an awkward silence followed. Shallauw sighed and walked to the entranceway of their house.

He had second thoughts about leaving, as this was his home. It was where he had lived for the last seventeen years and he didn't really want to leave. But he also wanted to go out and adventure. He shooked his head then opened the front door and left.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Salak was sitting on top of a large rock, pucking the strings of his lute carefully as he played a song. A note went wrong and he cursed, he put down the lute and looked back towards Shallauw's house. What was taking him so long, surely he didn't have that much to pack. He pulled the apple he had grabbed from home before he left out of his bag and began chewing un it.

He was addened to be leaving home, he knew that he would miss his mother and though he wouldn't want to admit it, he would miss his father too. He sighed, he knew it would have had to leave home eventually, he just hadn't expected it too come so soon.

Salak finished his apple just as Shallauw finally emerged from the house.
"What took so long? I was waiting for like ages out here."
he smiled, and laughed,
"You pack like a girl."
he said with another chuckle.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Shallauw closed the door behind himself as he heard Salak say "You pack like a girl" he laughed at the comment then asked, "Where's my apple?" He smiled and looked back at his house. He could not help but think about what he was leaving.

He turned back at Salak, and looked at the lute he was holding. He had heard that Salak was quite good at the lute, but he hadn't heard him play properly yet. He scratched his head thoughtfully, and kicked the dirt with his foot.

He looked down at his sword then said "Come on, let's go. I want to fight something, like a monster." He chuckled, then took a step forward. He stopped then thought about it for a second.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

"Ya know there probably aren't going to be any monster's on the way down to the docks,"
said Salak as he hefted his satchel onto his shoulder. The bag was light, but Salak realised that after walking in it for a while his shoulders would undoubtedly start to hurt.

"There was only one apple in my house by the way. Was there anything in your house? Cos otherwise we might need to stock up on trail rations."
Salak replied thoughtfully, stroking the short stubble on his chin. As if on que his stomach growled and he placed his hand on it.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

"There might be," Shallauw replied with a smile, then continued "I really need to try out these cool swords I have." He hefted one of his swords up, then threw it into the air while making it do a little twirl. He caught it, and looked back at Salak.

Post by Guest »

Salak smiled as he playfully kicked Shallauw's rump,
"Well go on ya lump of lard! Go find me some food."
he joked.
"I'm still hungry, that was a pretty small apple."
he said, now more serious. There was never a shortage of something to eat back at his home, another thing he would miss.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"We don't need food." Shallauw said ruffly, "Anyways, I have already eaten." He looked around the area they were sitting in. There were some trees, green leaves shining. He could see the dirt on the ground being lifted by the wind. He sighed.
Then he said "Well, let's go" then walked off while sheathing both of his swords back.

Post by Guest »

Salak trudged slowly down the road after his friend, they descended down the island on a small dirt trail, it wound and twisted it's way down the side of the island, but it didn't take them long to navigate down to the harbour.
Salak looked out over the glittering water, he smiled,
"Wow, I've never really stopped to look at all this, ya know, it's so amazing and I only now realise that because I'm leaving."
he turned and looked for the harbour master.
"So, have we decided where we're going?"
he asked his friend.

Post by Guest »

"Well" Shallauw said "Why don't we go to Citadel first, and see what we can do there. You might be able to find a magician." He looked around and asked "So, do you want to go to Citadel Salak?" He looked down at one of his swords and patted it, he felt safe with it strapped to his belt.

Post by Guest »

"Well I suppose it is a logical first step. It would make sense to go there."
Salak walked over to the Harbour master's building and asked one of the guards where he could find information on the ships.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

The guard pointed Salak and Shallauw in the direction they needed to go without much comment or fuss.

The Harbor Master's office was a low, squat building that sat at the nexus of several piers. Several ship Captains stood around, discussing trade winds and shipping routes, and where the most headway could be made in getting to and from destinations quickly.

The Harbor Master himself, much like the building around him was a short, rotund man with a bushy white beard and narrow, beady eyes. He was a friendly enough sort once approached, and he greeted the young men warmly.

"Mates. Good morningtide to you! You boys looking to work aboard ship?"

Post by Guest »

Salak walked up to the building slowly, peering in to make shure he was heading to the right place. He saw a short man dressed in official looking clothes and decided that must be the harbour master.

He strolled into the building, holding the door open behind him for Shallauw. Salak approached the harbour and was about to ask what boats were headed for Citidel, when the man spoke.

Salak glanced over at Shallauw and shrugged.
"Good Morn' to you to. We were just looking for passage to Citidel, but if it would help to pay for the trip, I guess we could help out a bit. What do you think Shallauw?"
he replied.

Post by Guest »

Shallauw nodded and replied as he shut the door "Yes. I am willingly to do some work if it would help pay. But how much does it cost to get passage?" Shallauw was concerned about his money, he wanted to keep some in order to pay for accommodation in Citadel.

He hid a smile to himself as he looked at the harbourmaster, he was pretty round. Shallauw scratched his face, deep in thought.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Can't be both boyos. Either you're aboard to work, or you're cargo."

The rotund man looked at a sheaf of papers absently.

"Passage to Citadel costs a coronet each. Its three days be sea, and the ticket includes two meals a day and a berth to sleep in. Captain's orders are just that. You'll be expected to follow all of his rules and his word is law on his ship."

He belched loudly and wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

"Now then, as for working. We have ships all going all over the world. Dort goods are wanted commodities just about everywhere. Tradewinds blow us just about everywhere there are people looking to buy. I have a ship bound for Trothgard, one for Sierra and one for Muchisle that are all looking for work and I can get you on board and working quickly. If you want to work on the ship headed for Citadel, then you'll have to ask the Captain."

He rolled the paper carefully and tied them up with a string. He then turned his gaze towards the pair expectantly.

"So...? What's it going to be?"

Post by Guest »

Salak glanced across at Shallauw and then back at the hatbour master.
"Uh.. I will consult my friend on this."
he said and pulled Shallauw over to the wall.

"So what do you think? Do we still head to Citidel, or do we change our minds and jump on a ship to work?"
he asked, leaning against the wall.

Post by Guest »

OOC: So sorry guys, I have been using my home computer not my family computer, which is the one with internet.

"Uh" Shallauw mumbled as Salak pulled him over to the wall. He didn't really have to think about what Salak said next "Yeah, let's go to Citadel. I don't mind if you want to work, I just want to adventure." He turned around and looked at the floor.

Post by Guest »

Salak listened intently as his friend mumbled away. He nodded and turned back to the harbour master, walking over to him.
"Well we'd like to go to citidel please. If there's a ship which will take as workers just for the trip to Citidel that would be great but if not, we can pay... I think."
said Salak as he rummaged in his pack to see how much money he had.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Harbormaster looked at the two of them sternly, but whatever he thought, he kept it to himself.

"Very well then. Two for Citadel. Your ship will be the Sea Tiger. She's newly arrived and unloading now. Just a few steps down at the "Three Witches" pier. Captain's name is Hargrove."

He eyed Salak digging into his pack.

"Don't pay me. Pay him."

He briefly returned his attention to the sheaf of papers he was holding before remembering something else. He looked up as he spoke.

"Oh, and boys.... Be careful will you? Hargrove doesn't suffer fools well, so keep you wits about you. You'll do best if you keep your eyes open and mouths closed."

Post by Guest »

Salak ceased his digging on that comment and closed his bag. He thanked the man as he swung the bag onto his shoulder and turned to leave. He stoppped and turned back however to ask.
"Just one last thing. Where is the three witches pier?"
he asked over his shoulder.

Post by Guest »

Shallauw smirked and turned around as Salak asked "Where is the Three Witches Pier?" Shallauw opened the door and walked outside, keeping the door open with his foot so Salak could come too.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The pier in question wasn't very difficult to find. Each of the piers in the harbor had a tall post with a sign to mark it. There were several, a snarling dog, a red apple, a red tree. All they had to do was follow the signs and look for the one with three witches on it.

When at last they found a sign with three witches huddled around a boiling cauldron, the ship at the end was a low slung, fast looking vessel with a roaring tiger as the masthead. Sailors could been on the deck preparing the ship for departure as they folded sails, mopped, and tying down various groups of cargo.

A wide gangplank was open, and lead into the maw of the open doors. Strong looking dockworkers were carrying sacks and crates off the ship out of the hold and down to waiting wagons. They streamed back and forth from the hold of the Sea Tiger like an anthill. In fact all of Watertown was a busy place this fine spring day.

A rough looking gentleman stood overseeing the unloading of the hold. He was bare chested, burnt brown and leathery from the sun, and had long salt and pepper hair that was pulled back with a headscarf. A twirl of smoke surrounded his head and was carried away by the ocean breeze, but the scent of his pipe could be smelled from a hundred paces.

Post by Guest »

Salak felt Like a foriegner, slowly walking along the docks, shielding his eyes from the sun as he looked up at the signs. He spotted one that looked like three people on broomsticks and decided that that must be the Three Witches Peir.

He strolled down the peir glacing around at all of the ships. None of them seemed to be doing anything except the one down the end, it was a hive of activity. He walked up and dodged to the side to allow a crate to be carried past him. He followed it up onto deck. He saw a large experienced looking man standing up there and asked.
'Excuse me sir, are you the captain of this ship?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Was waiting for Shallauw, but we'll press forward and he can catch up.

The men continued to unload the ship, now using a rollers and a winch to offload several large crates. These massive boxes contained something that smelled spicy despite the tang of the sea and the smoke from the man's pipe.

"Yes sir. I am Hargrove. Captain of the Sea Tiger. Who might you be and what is it that I can do for you?"
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: closing this due to lack of reply. Please PM me if you want it reopened :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”