The Great Hall [Entrance] - Chyril 22nd MT

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

The Great Hall [Entrance] - Chyril 22nd MT

Post by Ashari »

The Citadel is the most breath-taking sight in all the city. The design is a marvel of mystical engineering, created to be both aesthetically delightful and nearly impregnable to attack. Its shape is more or less that of a huge tower with a stretched out base, but such words cannot begin to convey the majesty of the structure.

It was called home by Caesar Anochrim, and now is by Caesar Andolin, several nobles, and a great many servants.

-=-=-=-=-

Ashari'd wished for a meeting with the Caesar himself, though she wasn't quite sure how likely such a meeting would be. None-the-less, she'd dressed to impress.

She wore a striking red dress much in the fashion of the Western Kingdom which she'd once called home. It seemed like a very long time ago now, but with her wooden bustle in place, she seemed a lot closer to King's Court than she'd been in ages. The neckline was daring at it's most generous of description, with her bust nearly flowing freely from it. It cut across til the fabric nearly fell off her her shoulders, but by some miracle of design the dress stayed in place. An overlay of black lace gave the underlying silk fabric an unusual quality of movement. Her waist was pulled in tightly with a boned bodice that pushed against her ribs and made breathing a luxury. The dark beauty's hair was swept up in an intricate pattern of knots and bows atop of which was a darling hat that matched the ensemble with a delicate piece of black lace to block the morning sun from her face.

She made her way to the face that looked in charge. "My name is Lady Ashari Gywien, of King's Court, owner of the Red Rose Guild. I seek an audience with the Caesar Andolin." She'd been fully shielded as she headed into the Citadel, and now, as she stood in it's beauty, her shield faultered for just a flicker before she picked it up again. Be careful, Ash... this place is filled with more danger than any battlefield you've yet seen. She warned herself as she awaited a response.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin was up early this day. Of course, anything before noontide was early in his mind.

This was a day he had much to consider. His coronation was upcoming, and he needed assistance in planning the event. There was Elaine's wedding to attend. What gift might he bring? Rosalie Lo Russo was to marry following that. He would attend that as well. There was still unfinished business between the two of them.

So many marriages, and Andolin had to plan his own. The most difficult question would be who would be his first wife. Ideally, it would be a princess of some sort. Had the Western Kingdom a princess, that would be natural. Yet, the Kingdom was embroiled in civil war at the moment. He had made inquiries as to whether Duke Eisenreich or Drakkendor had daughters or nieces. There was the fabled Eastern Empire. Should there be a princess of that land, it would be appropriate. Otherwise, he might marry a daughter or niece of one or more of the rulers of the island kingdoms, he supposed.

Then, there were other matters to attend to. He needed to add a University mage to his council, and a priest as well. There was no need to insult anyone. As for priests, he have pondered which god to exalt. Certainly, it would not be the dark god of his ancestors. No, he was thinking, as always, about Aurelius. Andolin was ever the great admirer of knowledge. He cast a gaze at his scrying crystal on his desk and smiled. He had become more proficient with his ability in the intervening months. That was but one tool.

Then, there was the matter of the crime wars. Andolin had his own ideas for ending the wars. The information that Fauna fed him regularly was useful. Crane versus Crane was amusing. If only they would kill off each other. If they didn't, he would help them with that. If there was going to be a Crime Boss on the Citadel, he would be working for the Caesar ... or he would be dead. It was as simple as that really.

There was tale of a big event at the Red Banner. Fauna had revealed about it. Though no place for a Caesar to make an appearance, he was tempted to alter his facial features and attend incognito. No one appreciated a fine female form more than he did. He often found his thoughts wondering as he stared upon Fauna and Sezja. They were too pretty to ignore really.

Dressing himself in silk this morning, Andolin made a mental note to find Barrett ... and to find a new assistant Major Domus. The Clerk of the Chamber position had been promised to Silk once he became Caesar. That did not mean that he could not have another assistant to help him with his bloody tasks and administrative endeavors. But, where would he find more useful people?
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Where once he had an office and a room in which he slept, the situation had changed greatly since his appointment as Caesar, and now Andolin had a full complex of rooms at his disposal, as well as an office where he could perform business in private. It was the throne room where the audiences were held, though the throne itself remained vacant until his official crowning. A simpler, though still lavish seat was set a few steps lower, and it was here that the Caesar Andolin Azarin sat when he met visitors and those wishing to seek hi assistance in important matters.

The Imperial Guard had grown over the past couple of month, numbering nearly four hundred men now and Sergeant Summers was no longer the man in charge of the troops. It was Captain Summers now, and while he still handled the soldiers with the directness and efficiency of a career Sergeant, his uniform carried quite a few stripes more. He was still as broad-shouldered as ever, and while he was no longer posted at the entrance, that morning he had wandered past it just as Ashari came along. The soldier that moved to intercept her and to whom she addressed her request, was cut short by the former Sergeant. "I'll handle this, Private Daniels."

The soldier cast a single glance at his commander and moved away without a word, snapping a quick salute before departing. "Good morning, Miss Gywien." he let his gaze take in her dress and smiled, whilst arching an eyebrow. "I see you have chosen to wear a Western style dress. It fits you nicely." A mere few months ago, Preston would not have known a thing about fashion, but nowadays he was dealing with nobles from all over the world and he had to learn, though it has been not an easy lesson. "I am just on my way to the Throne Room to arrange the guard before the Caesar comes and starts receiving. Would you like to join me on the way there?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari's necessary and polite expression changed quickly to one of genuine happiness. "Why hello, Summers." she said with a bright smile. "Yes, I have," she replied about his comment on her style of dress and lifted her shoulders elegantly, her collar bones jutting out and bringing all the more attention to her assets, if it were possible. "I was born and raised in the West, and it seems to be rather popular as of late." Ashari winked.

There was no way to ignore the Consul turned Ambassador, Rosalie. The woman was everywhere and on everyone's mind and tongue, being spoke of in wash rooms, bar rooms and elite living rooms alike. Many wondered how she came to such power so fast, and many more wondered how, being from the World's Mouth, a place known to be patriarchal, she could find herself in such an important position. With her being powerful, others of the Mouth and the West in general found a similar popularity, nevermind how hard it was to ignore the members of the Contidierre that were always about.

"And I see you've chosen to wear the suit of a Captain, it fits you nicely." Ash said playfully. "I would love to join you," she replied as she took to his side. Arranging the guard for the Caesar? Fantastic. I could be the first in to see him. Hopefully he's an agreeable morning person. "So how is your new position treating you, Captain?" Ash still called Ulder Captain the last time she saw him, it was a little strange to call the former Sergeant Summers by the title.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

He was on his way to his audience chamber as he gave orders to the entourage that followed. "Make sure the ship is done by tomorrow. I want Ulder and Elaine to have it at their wedding day." He had ordered a detailed model of the finest sailing ship in the fleet. The gold plaque at the base, however, would name her the "Elaine" rather than the original. "Remember that it must have the detail in which a blind woman can feel her name carved in the plaque, and can see the masts and deck with her fingers," he added.

"And for Ambassador Lo Russo, make sure the pair of nightengales have impressive enough plumage. I was promised no ordinary nightengales. The cage should be gilded in gold ... not much mind you, but some gold."

He kept walking down the hall remembering things. "And I want to see Barret. How in the name of the Nether had he become Ambassador? I had another role in mind for him. Damn inconvenient," he sighed.

"I need an Ambassador to the Western Kingdom as well. Has anyone petitioned us yet?" He supposed he could accept a displaced Westie for that, but he would not trust them. No, he needed a tough military type to show strength.

"Oh, and tell the Mistress of the Library that I wish to see her. I have some questions for her." Really, his days were becoming far too busy and he had yet to be coronated.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"My position is not quite what I expected, but I have been in charge of the Imperial Guard from the beginning and they claim I am the best person for the position." With a smile the broad shouldered Sergeant shrugged and sighed. "I'm a Sergeant. Captain needs to be a politician too and I am not quite so good at that. I struggle all the time, though I'll be damned if I give up. The uniform is nice. And the pay is way better that what I got before. So, can't complain much. It's different. But, not in a bad way."

Without the new Major Domos or Master of Protocol, the duties usually handled by them fell to the various clerks and servants that have been on the previous Caesar's staff. While they have been somewhat idle during the lack of Caesar, they were still quite efficient and caught up fast enough. Old Peter Belish walked a step behind the new Caesar, and held a quill and paper in his hand jotting down the instructions and returning the information he already had.

"The ship is nearly done, Your Highness. Master Dethrek says that it will ready by the Tradetide, and that he can deliver it anywhere on the island on your request. The cage is already ready and the birds are currently in the garden until the wedding day. They recommended we give them some space to move so as to keep the plumes look better."

He took down a few more notes to make sure he did not forget anything. "Master Threespan has arrived this morning. I can send someone to locate him and bring him before you?" There was a slight pause allowing Andolin a chance to reply before the man went on. "And so far no requests have been made for the post of the Ambassador to World's[ Mouth." The change in the inflection was minor, as the clerk corrected the Caesar subtly. The Ambassador for the Western Kingdom had been there for ages. A single glance sent one of the servants following then to the Throne Room away in search of Mistress Tabeann, no words necessary to relay such an order.

At the furthest end of the room from the great oaken doors is the Imperial Throne of the Seven Isles. This magnificent edifice is the true seat of power in the Empire, and it is clear from the sheer size and the wealth that must have been required to build it. The throne itself is solid marble, engraved with images of the glorious past, with gilded armrests and silken cushions that are replaced every year to prevent wear.

This is the Throne Room of the Caesar, the ruler of The Empire of Seven Isles in its entirety. The chamber's dimensions are staggering. The ceiling soars above, higher than the roof of any other building in the city, while the walls stand further away from their opposites than an arrow can fly.

This is where the Caesar deliberates over the most important of matters concerning the Empire and issues proclamations to the Heralds who announce them to the populace. Each evening the Imperial council gathers here to discuss matters concerning the Empire and assist the Caesar in his deliberations.

The actual Throne was unfilled still, a lavishly carved dark-wood chair placed two steps under the actual throne, serving as Andolin's seat until the Crowning Ceremony that was scheduled for the 25th. Soldier wearing the white and black of the Imperial Guard were posted at the door, and lined the walls unobtrusively, with another pair in full armor keeping watch at the bottom of the stairs leading to the Throne itself. A number of people stood about the chamber as Andolin reached the small side door hidden behind the throne, the servants dispersing to take their places, only Peter remaining behind him.

Preston led Ashari into the throne room and left her side, reaching his post to the side of the Throne just as Andolin moved there as well. It was he that called out, the Captain's voice carrying well through the chamber. "His Imperial Highness, Andolin Azarin, Caesar of the Empire of Seven Isles." At this all of those present bowed respectfully, except the soldiers on duty. A number of petitioners stood ready to address the Caesar, with Ashari amongst them, all waiting for the Caesar to call one of them out.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I have no doubts that you're the best among them, Summers." Ashari replied respectfully, and she absolutely believed it to be the truth. He was a good man from strong stock. Plus, Ash always had a soft spot for men in uniform, and a man in a Captain's uniform was even better. As he joked about the pay she laughed, not the polite refined laughter of a politician or courtier, but the laugh of a young woman who genuinely thought something was funny. It could be something refreshing, she reflected after, that mirthful energy that rarely found it's way into this building except perhaps behind closed doors.

Ashari's voice caught in her throat, however, as they entered the atrium. The room was immense, and that was putting it lightly. She'd been entertained in King's Court and had been in the throne room therein, but the Empire seemed to take things a step further - much like the entrance room itself. As Summers stepped away from her she felt slightly stranded, but she kept herself from instictively following him, instead she walked gracefully across the room to join the other petitioners - those who'd managed to get there before her. She gave Summers a subtle nod in thanks for ushering her directly to the throne room before he spoke.

The Captain's voice carried with eloquence throughout the room and Ashari took the oppertunity to courtsey as well as one might with the full dress she was wearing. The red she wore brought out the depth of tan in her skin, and it was most evident that she was indeed from Western Terra, though pinning it down to a specific locale might've been difficult. Her face, delicately covered in a veil obscured her visage, perhaps enough to make her mistakeable for someone else.

Ashari did her best to stay where she belonged, however she wasn't about to blend into the people around her. Her shoulders were pushed back and her chin held high. She looked the part of any other important dignitary that might visit him personally, not in a large assembly such as this. She did, however, wait patiently to be called forward, her hands infront of her with fingers laced together, the fabric of her delicate gloves weaving together.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Pleased with the responsiveness of his staff, Andolin swept into the audience chamber and took his seat beneath the throne. Taking a deep breath before sighing, he was now readuy to hear some petitions from the people who sought to approach him before his coronation.

He was always eager to put on appearances of being a benevolent ruler, looking for opportunities to show mercy and justice ... especially when news of it might reach the populace at large. He was happy to appear to be a man of the people.

As he became comfortable in his chair, his eyes naturallt searched the faces, and figures, of the petitioners awaiting him. There was a woman dress in scarlet and sporting a tan that suggested she came from sunnier climes.

Well, she certainly knows how to draw attention to herself. Maybe she is here to petition to become one of my wives. He chuckled inwardly at the thought.
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett had been gone for some time, but his demeanor upon entering the throne room implied a familiarity with official occasions and the workings of government based upon his prior diplomatic interactions, knowledge of Citadel and experience in the Council meetings.

His clothing, however, was anything but typical for formal activities. The tailors of Nipponar had faced quite a challenge in replacing the querist's wardrobe as it gradually fell victim to the various damages incurred in weeks of laboratory and field experiments. The amount of fabric was what they would usually use for several outfits, and so the fabric reflected: as colors were mixed in an attempt to cobble together enough cloth to fit his large frame.

So it was that he appeared now in a well-tailored tunic and leggings of unusual pattern. The tan tunic was adorned with a large patch of dark blue fabric over the left shoulder and chest, as well as several smaller patches of grey and blue patterned at regular intervals throughout the body. The leggings were of lightweight solid gray fabric – one of the initial textiles created as sailcloth for the Grace that had been rejected. The serviceable boots were worn, but of standard make. And of course the sturdy vest with its many pockets and pouches for writing and calculating materials would be familiar to any who had known the archivist before he left Citadel. As would the presence of books and wrapped documents securely tucked in the crook of his elbow.

Of course, with the reddish mustaches fanning out from his face against a head topped with grey-white hair, his clothing was likely to go unnoticed upon the first – or even second or third – look.

Seeing the number of petitioners – and surprisingly Lady Gywien among them – Barrett was uncertain of his own position here. So he merely nodded in greeting and turned to Hector for further guidance.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Unlike the most other petitioners, Hector knew how to draw attention to himself and how to ensure his request was handled quickly. Barrett found him a bit to the side, whispering something to a servant who promptly left the Chancellor's side and dashed away, disappearing behind a curtain, and emerging behind the throne mere flickers later, whispering a message to a man standing behind Caesar. Peter leaned towards Andolin and whispered softly in his ear. "Your Majesty, Master Threespan is here with a report." His eyes moved to the strangely clad Querist and Hector Anzillo at his side.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

His attention wandered from Ashari briefly to note the new arrival. It was a curiously dressed fellow with gray hair and a big moustache. With books tucked under his arm, he looked vaguely familiar. Yet, it took the whisper of the servant to confirm the surprising identity.

He waved to the Querist, motioning him forward. "Threespan," he addressed him familiarly, "what has happened to you?" It was left unsaid that his appearance looked greatly different, but his new role was certainly an unusual. "Can this report be uttered in public, or do you think a more private setting is necessary?"

The room was full of petitioners and servants, so anything uttered here would be well-known by the end of the day.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"I believe it is appropriate for open audience, my lord."

Indeed, he was quite pleased to have an audience - "spread the news" as it were. He spoke for Andolin, but his training at addressing larger groups of people came into play as he preferred for his words regarding Nipponar and the airship to be spread rather than let poeple create a host of less convenient rumors. Also, it would save him some repetition.

"I have spent many of the past weeks working - collaborating - with the gnomes of Nipponar. I worried that the new airship technology of the Mouth might affect the morale of the people of the Isles and give the Westerners too much of an advantage in trade and, erm, other potential relations. So it was to those most comfortable with experiment and the advancement of knowledge and gadgetry that I went."

"It took much planning and many revisions. I am sad to say that some lives were even lost in the pursuit of our goal. But we have been successful! The first air vessel designed, built and crewed entirely by Imperial citizens is present in the harbor - the Golden Grace. I am sure you have had report of the arrival already, but I wanted to make it official."

"With this effort, and due to negotiations between Nipponar, the Imperial Trade Guild, the people of Dort and myself - under the grace of Aurelius - the gnomes have decided to take a more active role in the affairs of the Empire. I have been granted citizenship on Nipponar and charged with the position of Ambassador on their behalf."

"We hope that this effort will inspire citizens of all the Isles to stand forth, to take pride, and to participate in the activities that make our Empire a glorious center of free thought and harmonious coexistence."

Yes, that might be overdoing it a bit.

"Additionally, I have spoken with representatives of both trade and naval interests and hope to have gathered a more formal committee by my next report, including those currently working on the engineering of the routine Western airships. I plan to integrate the two technologies and refine the manner of production and utilization among other things."

He wanted to ask if Andolin had received his communication about an Advisory Council on Technological Affairs, but to do so in public would be awkward if the new Caesar did not agree. Barrett did not want to appear to be trying to force Lord Azarin into a commitment.

"I have a few more points of interest that might be better served in a more intimate meeting: I do not wish to take up the entirety of your morning audience, my lord."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

So, you've been working with the gnomes on airships. Is that all? He had indeed received Barrett's letter, and had wanted to question him about it further. This forum presented some opportunities to boast success to the populace, so he understood Barrett's motivation for presenting himself in the audience chamber.

It was good that they were at peace with the Mouth, for the development of an airship on behalf of the Empire might otherwise spark a war. The Mouth would want to strike before thier technological advantage was lost. Yet, there were peaceful trade relations with the Mouth, providing enough incentive to avoid a war.

"You bring us grand news, Master Threespan. You are to be congratulated. This technological advance is of the upmost importance to the Empire. You will find me a great patron of technology and research into this area," he pledged sincerely. "We also welcome the greater participation of Nipponar as well."

It was good for the Empire, of course, and perhaps it might gain him personal advantages as well. He planned to have Barrett serve on the Advisory Committee for Technology, but he needed to determine later who held his loyalty. Loyalty was an important thing to Andolin, and he would always favor those who gave it primarily to him.
Last edited by Andolin on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Normally praise would make the Dortman slightly uncomfortable, but in this instance he accepted it on behalf of his new friends, charges and partners - the gnomes. Taking such things in stride and with grace would have to come naturally for him to succeed in representing them effectively.

"Your words bring me much gladness, my lord. Since I have been absent of late, I do not know if you have an advisors meeting scheduled soon. However, I shall be happy to make myself available for any meeting time you deem appropriate to discuss the more detailed ramifications of the new technologies."

There was sincere gratitude in Barrett's voice and facial expression. And of course he was quite eager to catch up on news that would never be mentioned in such an open forum. Still, he had so much to do in a short time... so he let the tail end of his speech make it seem as if he might be about to launch into a dry discourse on said hypothetical ramifications and new technologies - one that would act as a surefire sedative to the rest of those gathered.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Yes, you have been absent for too long," Andolin chided softly. "Now that you are back, I shall expect a report with suggestions as to wno might sit on this advisory committee. We need men and women of learning that can make further advances in this type of transportation -- and others. Come and call on me privately with reports of other advances we might invest in." His voice was intended to flatter the young man of science. It was a great thing he accomplished, to help lessen the threat of the Mouth airships.

There was also no need to spend more time discussing this publicly, so Andolin looked to move on to the next petitioner. There was only a limited amount of time and he should not devote too muvch time to one petitioner.

"Thank you Master Threespan."

Pointing at Ashari, he beckoned her to approach. If one needed to hear a petition, it might as well be one from someone easy on the eyes. "Please identify yourself and tell me what you would have of the Empire." His mind searched her face for a familiar look, while his mentalism tried to gently probe her to see if she had shields in place. It was to be a feather's touch, with the hope that he would not alert her that he was trying to read her upper most thoughts. Even if she did, she would suspect, perhaps, that he had mages strategically placed in the chamber for security.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari gave Barrett a small nod as he looked at her.

His whole business with the airships was rather astounding. To think, flying machines that had only just been properly invented in the Mouth, something that would've not just made their trade much better than that of anywhere else in the world, but also make their military beyond touchable, and that it had been so quickly copied was almost sad. It was, however, very exciting. It meant that it would make the retrieval of would-be Roses from other continents much easier. They wouldn't have to deal with the exorbinantly expensive (and sometimes unrealiable) services of the portal system. She was going to need to send out messages of invitation to the other capitols hastily. Another thing to add to her agenda.

It seemed as if coming to the palace today was a good idea. Perhaps she could speak to Barrett later about where the Golden Grace would be travelling. It would be fantastic to send a member of her staff to recruit. She was going to need to set up a meeting with Barrett as soon as possible, though he was sure to be busy as he'd just arrived back in the Citadel proper.

And then, almost as soon as he started talking, he was done and setting up a private meeting with the Caesar. That's what I need. The ability to have private conversations with the Caesar... Someday. Before she knew it, she was being beckoned foward.

"Ashari Gywien of King's Court, Western Terra, head of the Red Rose Guild." She gave a deep curtsey as she settled into the spot before the caesar where she'd be standing. Ashari, didn't, however mention in her title that she was one of the heroes who faught against the Changer, though perhaps the Caesar would remember the name.

As Andolin looked upon the young woman there might've been a spark of recognition, though he'd never met her. She easily could have been the sister of a close friend of his, Isa, a woman who Ashari had grown to be friends with in the short time they'd known eachother. Isa herself had commented on how much they looked alike aside from their drastically different eyes. Ashari pulled the veil from her face and tucked it into her hat delicately with her lithe thief's fingers. "It is a pleasure to be seen by my Caesar, and I thank you for the oppertunity." She lifted herself from the curtsey and looked into Andolin's eyes as he gently tested her shields which were prominantly in place. Ashari, however, didn't notice the soft touch.

Taking a deep breath Ash tried to recall exacty why she'd come to the Citadel. "I've come to offer schooling to the young men and women of the Citadel and beyond - to bring in the children of nobility from other isles within the Empire and further to learn. I come to you, now, Caesar, to present the new Red Rose Guild where I will educate and foster the growth of my Roses." She smiled diplomatically. "I would like to do these things with your permission and, if possible, your support. I feel as though there is no where for anyone to learn except for the Univerisity of Magick," Though Ash herself was a mage, she said this last bit with a tone of disdain, sealing herself as the proper headmistress that the school would need. "I come seeking both funds from the Empire and your personal support in this endeavor so that I may tell the mothers and fathers who send their sons and daughters to my school that the Caesar himself has approved of it, and so, I would ask for a private audience to discuss matters of the curriculum and the teachers who will be working under me with yourself at your convenience if it pleases you."

Ashari was young and that much was obvious to anyone who looked at her. However, there were yahren hiding in her eyes to anyone who looked closely. She was going to make this school. She was going to do something great and she hoped that the Caesar would see that and that he would help her.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Something about her appearance was familiar and it nagged at him. The name was even more familiar. It will come to me.

It was curious that she was from the King's Court in the Western Kingdom. That would do little to ingratiate herself here. She was not even a subject of the Empire, so he needed pay no heed to her petition at all.

Still, her appearance and her plan intrigued him. It was almost as if she had taken the very idea from him. If he were not Caesar or Major Domus, he would be doing something similar with his life.

"Miss Gywien, welcome to the Empire. It seems you have a bold plan in mind. You would reopen the Rose Guild? Have you the permission of the prior Guildsmaster Larbeido?" He decided to pose a flurry of questions to see how well she handled herself.

"Are you a Panling? Were you a member of the old Guild? I hope you understand that the City was never too fond of the old Guild. People saw it as little more than a brothel." Not that there is anything wrong with a brothel ... if the girls are pretty and healthy.

He noticed that she shielded herself, so it appeared that she was a mage of some kind. He wore his own shields, augmented by the medallion that blocked mental probing. What is her game? Is she a nobody sorceress on the rise, much like me ... or is she some frustrated governess that wishes to truly teach?

"Why should the Empire permit, let alone contribute, to such an enterprise? I can imagine that such an establishment would be quite profitable." He gave her a challenging smile, that revealed that he was amused in testing her.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I think it's time that the Red Rose Guild was more than reopened, but rather rebuilt, from the ground up. No, I've not spoken to Larbeido." In all honesty, Ashari had no need to speak with him, nor the want. She was running the Guild her way and if he was going to battle her on it she was cocky enough to believe she would win. "Were I to have the chance to, I'd love the oppertunity, I've just not had the means to get in touch with him."

"A Panling?" She said it incredulously. "No, I'm not." Ash could've easily leaned into the religion if she'd known anything of it in her youth, however, she found little in religion other than what her own mother had told her of the Great Mother and even that she was only interested due to it being there from her birth. "And I was not involved with the previous guild. So far as I know most of those who were have fled the city," Or died. It wasn't appropriate for her to voice that little piece, so she kept it to herself. "Sadly, the previous Guild did fall into the category of brothel, but that seemed to be both because of the heavily religious bend of the teachers and students themselves. I do have a Panling teacher under my employment who will be teaching the arts, but not any of the traditional Panite activities and I will be accepting Panling students if they can afford the enrollment, but they will not make up the majority of students. As I have said, I want to see the Guild become what it was when it began."

Ashari paused to think for just a flicker. "There was a time, Caesar, when this Guild meant something - when the men and women who came from it were sought after because of their skills, not for a single night of debauchery, but because of their intelligence and wit which would make them a formidable member of any court were they to marry into a good family. I'd like to see it become that again."

"The Citadel has had many... hard... times lately." The mage knew it well. Between the actual ousting of Panlings and Roses to the demons to the cults and manic mages there had been much bad news coming out of the capitol city. "And we deserve to send out a good message to the rest of the Empire - a message that shows how well we're doing." World's Mouth had only too lately become it's own 'free city' and it was only a matter of time before the islands of the Empire heard this and there was always the chance the same could happen here. No Caesar wanted to deal with Civil War.

If Andolin were to continue to watch Ashari's shields and her surface thoughts he'd see the glow within. She was honest. She wanted this and she wanted to help create something great. "And because of this you should back the newly renovated Red Rose Guild to create what could be a very worthwhile investment," Ash gave her own daring smile. "With returns." He was interested. She had him hooked, now she just had to reel him in. "Perhaps we can negotiate the particulars at your convenience?" For, as it stood, she was in a room of petitioners all waiting for their chance to speak to the new Caesar.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Official obligation discharged, Barrett could not quite decide whether he should stay and hear the rest of the audience. Andolin's dismissal clearly gave him leave, but might there be things to learn? Ashari's "petition" decided the issue for him. It seemed odd for her to flaunt her connection to the Western Kingdom, odder still for her to open her own version of the Rose Guild. Would it not have been wiser to simply call it something else since she claimed no official relationship to the original? Especially since she seemed so determined to fling mud at the former organization and the Panlings themselves.

Never mind her intended snub of the University. Was she completely unaware of the College? And was this some sort of cover for her to begin teaching her own brand of magick? Certainly Fauna was not the only enchantress that might bear watching.

Andolin's reaction was of even more questionable taste. It was the game that was expected, but Barrett could not help but think how Andolin himself was part of the reason for the besmirched reputation of both Panling and Rose.

The expression on the Querist's face was one of schooled neutrality. Tabeann would certainly have approved. Still, such control came at a cost, and Barrett had more important demands upon his energy this day.

His eyes sought Hector's once more to make sure that there were no more lurking formalities to be taken care of in these chambers.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I can appreciate what you are hoping to accomplish, Miss Gywien," he empathized, "but, there are laws that must be observed. Just because Master Larbeido has fled or expired, we must see who owns title to the building itself. If it has been abandoned, it would revert to the Crown, not just to the first person who thought to take possession of it." Not being a legal scholar, Andolin did not really know much about the legality of property transfer. He would learn it soon enough.

His plan was a simple one. He would claim that the Guild had ommitted crimes against the city and that the property was forfeit. He would take possession of it in the name of the Crown and rent it to Ashari. That way he could profit from her endeavors. If she failed, he could cast her out and run it himself. It had been his plan all along; but, now he had no time for such things. Why not let her proceed ... if she was appropriately grateful?

"We should discuss this further privately. We shall want to impose standards upon such a Guild to make sure that it is a place of quality, as opposed to pure wanton behavior." Partially wanton behaviour is fine. In fact, he hoped that he would get to know her quite a bit better before supporting her candidacy.

"We can discuss this further immediately after I hear the other petitions today." Turning to nearby sioldiers, he instructed, "Take Miss Gywien to my office and stay with her until I return." He did not want her left alone to rummage about his desk.

Then, turning to the official acting as Imperial Secretary, he asked for the next petitioner to step forward. He expected this to take a tide, if he let it. He had no intention to allow it to last more than a mark. If necessary, he would dispense justice with lightning speed, then go to meet this bold Westerner.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I have no intentions of taking the building itself. I've already purchased another estate here in the Citadel to house my guild." It was at this quip that she found she couldn't contain her grin. You think I've come to this island impoverished and in need of aid to assist me in starting my school? Don't jump to such conclusions. Ashari was lucky and she had friends in places that gave them the ability to lend her money. However, one could never say no to more money. Coinage had a way of inspiring people, and Ash wanted nothing more than to inspire each and every wealthy family into sending one of their children to the Red Rose Guild.

"And as thus, I've no problem with the previous guid falling en droit to the crown. The backing I seek from you is to assist in funding some renovations on the building as well as making sure I have all of the necessities students must have - parchment, quills, instruments - these all pile up after a while." Plus the pay for the teachers. Inwardly she sighed knowing what a large endeavor it was.

At the instruction for one of the guards to join her and bring her his private office she beamed. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Curtseying deeply Ashari offered her appreciation to the gentleman before her. "Thank you, Caesar." She rose gracefully and took to the side of the guardsman, ready to be shown to the private desk that she so wanted to rummage through.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It became clear that she did not seek the building of the old guild. This was to her credit, for it could have caused unnecessary complications.

"I see. So you need funding and perhaps an Imperial Charter." He added the latter for it would be something that only he could give. She could get the money she needed from many sources, but not a charter. It would be a sign of approval that would overcome the concerns of doubting parents. He would, of course, need to work closely with the proprietor to insure that his quality standards were met. Yes, as he eyed the beauty before she was taken away, he speculated that the two of them might be working together very closely, or not at all.

"Who is next?" he asked.

OOC~ Feel free to have npc petitions or not, depending upon your workload GW.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: The workload won't get in the way. RL is a bit frantic, but I am way too stubborn to let it affect me.

Hector rested comfortably a bit to the side, leaving Barrett in the small cluster of those who actually had the reason to address the Caesar and mingling with the onlookers that formed a loose wall of bodies around the center passage. The Citadel Court was quite lively in the past, but the winter and recent War have caused quite a number of courtiers to leave. The upcoming coronation brought and upsurge of idle nobles and similar ilk and the chamber, while not overcrowded, still held quite a number of people.

With Imperial Secretary and Master of Protocol Silk away, such task fell upon Peter Belish and the old man handled such affairs quite nicely so far. Motioning towards the next in line he allowed the Caesar to take his time, while making sure the time taken from the Caesar was as minor as possible. The requests that day were mostly minor compared to the first two, visiting nobles presenting their good wishes and presents for the Caesar. It was the last petitioner that stood out from the rest.

Tamriel Anghiril did not wait like the rest, but instead burst into the throne room mere flickers after the last petitioner withdrew. The adhiel noble did not look particularly happy, and judging by the dark circles under his eyes he did not sleep particularly well that night. Making his way to the base of the stairs Lord Anghiril stopped just short of those and glared up at the human upstart sitting just one step bellow the throne itself. "Your Majesty." The words came out with an effort, but he did utter them. "I see justice. My daughter is missing and the incompetent City Guard did nothing to find her. They keep saying she will come home on her own. They even implied she might have run away with some boy. Nonsense." He fell silent for a flicker, eyes flaring up in rage. "I demand someone be punished for that insult and for my daughter to be found." Another pause and a grin formed on the adhiel knight's face. "Or at least empower me to do it myself."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Lord Anghiril, welcome. We share your concern about your missing daughter and I will ask that the proper respect be shown to a lord such as yourself. The City Guard, I fear, is more used to policing crime of the ordinary kind." He tried to sound empathetic so that he would disarm the adriel lord before him. This was a time for seeming magnanimous. There was little reason to upset anyone. Life was all about appearances. If he could create the appearance that something special was being done, then he would win the gratitude of a worried father, while expending precious few resources.

"Approach me milord and tell me what you know about your daughter's disappearance. If there is a suspected rogue involved, I would have his name too." Andolin wanted to demonstrate personal interet in this matter, even though he would ultimately hand it off to an underling. Little things like that could win an important loyalty, he speculated.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A brief surprise flashed over the adhiel noble's face, but his anger was too great to let it influence him for long. Arrogantly he strode up, stopping on the step bellow the one occupied by the Caesar's seat, though his foot rested on its edge. Bowing to show his respect, his eyes locked with Andolin's and Lord Anghiril held Caesar's gaze for a few flickers before speaking. "My daughter Adessa is missing, Your Majesty. She was spirited from her room in the Kislovan Embassy three days ago and I have not heard from her ever since."

With a sigh he lowered his eyes and a hint of sadness crept into his voice. "I.... I think she left of her own accord, but I am certain she was tricked into doing so by someone she knew. She is young, Your Majesty. I tried to shield her from bad influence, but I may have went too far and caused more damage that way." Again he fell silent, and when he looked up, anger was back in his eyes and for a brief moment he almost climbed one more step to loom over Andolin. "My servant tell me they have seen her conversing with young male achadhiel. I don't have his name, but from what I am told he must be the culprit. About six feet tall, with short black hair. And the maid tells me he has manners of a gentleman. And a western accent. With your permission I will hire a few man and search for him myself. And ensure justice is done."

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”