World Weary Travelers Finding Rest, Chyril 22nd, Mid TT

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"It is a shame," remarked Ulmandra evenly. "But one can scarcely be surprised, with all the changes we've had around here. But there are jobs to be had for warriors. Curiously, soldiers that cannot find a job often turn bandit...and because of these bandits, more jobs come available to the local guild masters or Councilors to protect the city and her industries against the same. It is...a curious conundrum."

The only other inhabitant in the Dwimmerwick quietly sipped at his juice as he scanned his notes carefully. A somewhat abstract man, he only passingly heard the conversation around him...and then it only slowly came to his understanding just who was having it. A giant? And an orc? They weren't unusual sights in the desert, though orcs found the dry climate almost as oppressive as the adhiel. Still, they were soldiers...and also very large. In Fadil's experience, large warriors had a great advantage over smaller ones in that they often discouraged combat before it began.

"Kal'essen, guarrdi. I apologize, but perhaps I could offer you...another option?" he murmured, interjecting into Sweeney's, Hollar's, and Ulmandra's conversation quietly. "I might have an option that would appeal to you, sirrahs, if you don't mind a small amount of travel. I doubt it should pay as well as most, but at the least it is honest work...and it should be far safer than banditry or the local militia," he offered, allowing his forgotten scroll to lower to the table at which he was seated.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Sweeney raised an eyebrow at the stranger's impolite entry into the conversation, but when the man started talking about work, he paid attention. The half-giant thought he smelled something fishy about the offer, but given the meager employment prospects Ulmandra had described, he hardly had a luxury of choices in that department.

"Yer," he said at length. "I could be int'rested in what y're offerin, but I'd like t' know a bit more about it before I sign up. Fer starters, what kinda travellin' we talkin 'bout?"
'Apeneck Sweeney spreads his knees / Letting his arms hang down to laugh
The zebra stripes along his jaw / Swelling to maculate giraffe.'
--T.S. Eliot

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The worst kind," replied the older man easily. "We'll travel out into the hostile, deadly ergus of the open desert, hoping to water at an oasis that might or might not be there...and then we'll journey onward to a point in the open desert perhaps three days away that might or might not hold a facility that we must chart and document. All along the way, we'll be challenged by bandits, militia, and worst of all, nomads...who will happily and easily kill us all if they catch up to us due to the poor reputation we have among these particular clans."

"We'll have a few camels, but they'll be no help to us if we're attacked. They'll service as pack animals and, for some of the time, mounts...though we'll have to travel light. We have every reason to believe that we...won't be welcomed where we're going, so we won't find any shelter or safety once we get there. Indeed, it will be a horrible trek with the promise of nothing save the most tragic form of death imaginable...which is death through exposure, either to the blistering heat of the day, the freezing cold of the nights, or the constant, dry airs that will suck the very soul out of you the moment you lose sight of Sabata."

"This is all I'm willing to reveal of the endeavor, so you must decide based on those facts alone," shrugged the old man. "There are a lot of people in the city hungry for work...for any kind of work...so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding mercenaries to assist in this task. I will pay half a crown for each man that chooses to accept. Half a crown for the first seven day, plus one lance per full day you remain with the expedition beyond the first seven day."

Ulmandra listened with casual grace, noting the speaker with some concentration. She didn't know him, but this kind of expedition seemed familiar. She had heard the same last yahren, perhaps...related to her from Sahle, who mentioned an expedition departing to find a tribe of nomads that had managed to disappear. Few remember the expedition...no one considered it important...but it gave her to ponder just what was out in the open ergs that kept swallowing people up without a trace.
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Sweeney tried hard to remain impassive as the man described this new employment option in greater detail, but as he went on the hulking pugilist's eyes noticeably widened. The old man outlined what might charitably described as a ludicrously suicidal wild goose chase. Is he putting me on? Testing my nerve? If not, they must be looking for something damned valuable to justify such risks.... Either way, Sweeney's curiosity was more than a little piqued. Still, he had his suspicions. "Well, y're makin' it sound like so much fun... but I dunno, this lady here's made a good case for slaveherdin' here in town. Makes it very hard t' decide, y'know?"
--T.S. Eliot

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Indeed, she has. I just don't want you thinking that this trek will be anything less than arduous," nodded the old man. "I work for Longfellow...of the Longfellow Institute...if that helps you decide at all. And I might be able to reveal this one thing more..."

The older man in his dark cloak leaned forward a bit and surveyed his crowd as if he were about to tell some wild, faery tale. "We're seeking an artifact. Some call it a philosopher's stone...a magical catalyst that can turn lead to gold, cure disease, or bring people back from the dead. Of course, we don't believe any of those rumors...but there have been enough to warrant an expedition. And like many of Longfellow's expeditions, we seek nothing more than knowledge...which means many of our expeditions come back with nothing save new marks on our maps, or evidence of some event, or the location of some types of valuable rocks or another. This one could be the same, sirrahs...a lot of effort for what amounts to half a crown. But...there's always the long shot."

"After all, if we do find some strange artifact in the desert, well, you can be sure you'll get a healthy bonus...an equal share of the haul...and even if we don't, Longfellow likes to use people he knows. He's a good man to know if you want steady, exciting work...and he won't sell you short. Ask the hostess...she'll tell you."
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

"Mmmh-hmm," grunted Sweeney in reply to the old man's elaborations. The expedition still sounded like a wild goose chase, but now it was a wild goose chase with a purpose. During his circus days, the half-giant had had a colleague who'd conned any number of yokels into buying potions concocted with his own "philosopher's stone." That one had been nothing more than an oddly-formed piece of ore that imparted a nasty, metallic flavor to the moonshine the huckster brewed. Sweeney doubted the expedition would turn up anything of greater value. But still, the expedition had a romantic sound to it that tickled his fancy, and the promise that it could turn into a long-term engagement solidified his interest.

Swiveling his gaze to the proprietress, Sweeney took up the old man's reference. "Is what he says true? This Longfella character on the up-n-up? I don't wanna go marchin' out into certain death for some nobody."
--T.S. Eliot

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Well, of course he's legitimate. Longfellow is a franchised Master of the Lexigrapher's Guild, and Journeyer of the Ostler's Guild. I've never known him to default on any agreement, but that isn't the real concern, is it?" Returned Ulmandra, her gaze slipping over to the older man. "The truth is, Longfellow seldom actually goes on his own expeditions, and many of his expeditions typically disappear without a trace. He's not sponsoring walks in the park or ocean voyages to Dort. He's organizing expeditions into Terra Incognita...the Unknown Lands...and that kind of work always comes with steep risk. Why don't you ask this man if he will be going on the expedition?"

"Well...no, actually, I wasn't planning on accompanying this one..." came the older man's instant response.

"It is so. No doubt this journey is more dangerous than even his usual expeditions. Longfellow will get his guards...there are enough desperate men in the city that will jump at any chance to be fed...but you need to be desperate to take an offer like this, pay or no. And you..." Ulmandra motioned towards Sweeney "...don't seem like the desperate type. Not yet, anyway. You are a very large man, with some experience at war. Why would you risk guarding some suicidal expedition into the Unknown Lands when you could instead work for one of the Councilors...or perhaps Boss Harkhebi...here in the city? Thousands seek to work for these men...but how many of these men have the blood of giants in them?"

"But this is adventure! Nomads and dragons...ancient artifacts...bandits..."

"Oh yes. And a sun that will bake you in the day, and nights that will freeze you to the rocky ground upon which you must sleep. I hope you will consider upon this now, sirrah, because you will consider upon it once you leave upon this fool's errand. Where once you could have reclined in steaming baths and rested in down mattresses, you would instead choose the open wilderness. Indeed, Longfellow has a good reputation...he will pay you, and he delivers upon his promises...but consider you carefully just what he has promised you. It is not so great compared to what others might promise you here."

"Bah! How many guards must a Councilor have?" replied the old man instantly. "How many had Kare Ana when she was killed? And what has become of her servants now that she is gone? You would advise this man against the dangers of the uncharted desert...dangers we all know and respect...in favor of dangers here in Sabata! I say to you, nothing is more dangerous than this city. At least in the open desert, your enemies are obvious...and they will meet you as best befits your worth. Here in Sabata, the walls have eyes, the streets have ears, and everyone carries a knife."

"...philosophical rhetoric! Only a nomad or a Natural Philosopher would rate the dangers of Sabata higher than the dangers of Terra Incognita!"

"This from someone with a franchise! You do not have to worry over how you will pay for your next meal! I offer a salary, and for such a thing, many in this city would kill or risk death!"

"Then advise this man to turn bandit, if you would! But do not try to beguile him with tales of rare artifacts, mystical legends, or ancient fables such that he will see your offer for more than it is!" shot back the innkeeper, words that easily silenced the old man. Considering Sweeney evenly, Ulmandra nodded once. "Longfellow's offer is a good one...and he will hold to his promises. But consider carefully what he offers, big man. If you were to ask me...and you have...then you might find that Longfellow cannot afford you."
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Sweeney watched the debate between old man and the proprietress first with amusement, but then with greater seriousness. The more he thought about it, the more significance the choice he was being offered assumed. Ulmandra's arguments against joining Longfellow's expedition were eminently reasonable and realistic, and any sensible person would had followed her advice. And yet, he found himself increasingly drawn toward the notion of the expedition. Or rather, he found himself repulsed by the more sensible courses of action She suggested. Although the desert obviously posed any number of risks, it was staying in Sabata that was starting to smell like a trap.

"Thanks, ma'am fer bein' so concerned 'bout my safety," he finally said, gravely addressing the innkeeper. "I 'preciate it. But I've made up my mind t' see this Longfella 'bout his job. But I want ya to know I'm not desp'rate. Yer prob'ly right when ya say I could find some work guardin' one of those couns'lers. But I coulda done that back in the Mouth. Call it bein' a guard, or a soldier, or a bandit, or a boxer -- it all boils down t' the same thing: gettin' paid t' beat on people. I done that already, an it's not as much fun as it sounds. Workin' fer this Longfella might not be better work, but least it'd be somethin' different." It was a long speech, but Sweeney felt somehow that he needed to give an explanation. Maybe he was still trying to convince himself he was doing the right thing.

"So, friend," continued the half-giant, swivelling his attention to the older man. "Ya made yer case. Where would I find yer Master Longfella?"
--T.S. Eliot

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

He's going?!?

It was something of a shock...and the old man couldn't hide the surprise in his bright, insightful eyes. Indeed, Ulmandra's arguments were good...but they weren't enough to combat the one quality he truly sought in his retainers. Adventure. The very threat of a sweeping adventure was enough to draw out the more bold souls, and it must have been this that had won him the day.

"My name is Alai. Master Alai, though not a Master of any local guild," clarified the erudite man. "I'm gathering the party outside the Wind Wall at sunrise day-after-tomorrow morningtide, just beyond the gates near the caravanserai. You need bring nothing more than yourself...I'll have our provisions, pack animals, and what others I can hire collected there. Here...take this circlet, and see if you can find a suitable cloak...something light and...ah...big. I've packed a sufficient number, but none of them will fit you, I'm afraid. I hadn't planned on finding any of your size..."

As for the hostel keep, she smiled and went back to sipping her juice with casual disregard, a slight smile on her face. It wasn't likely she would see the half-giant again, but given the chance, she might have made the same decision. After all, the practice of running a boarding house was hardly lucrative thanks to the strict law of guilds.

"...now, perhaps you would enjoy taking your ease in Sabata for tonight?" The old continued as he rose, leaving a circlet upon the table. "Tomorrow we'll travel fast and far to break free of the bandits that lie near the city. They should present no threat to a party as small as ours, but...we don't like to take more chances than we must."
Last edited by Grant on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Accepting the proffered coin, Sweeney shook the old man's hand. "Pleased t' do business with ya," he said jocularly. "Wind Wall. Day after next. I'll be there." The half-giant was grinning and felt an uncommon lightness in his chest. For perhaps the first time since walking out of the circus many months ago, Sweeney felt happy. He had a purpose, and more importantly, his self-respect. Whatever else might come of this expedition, it had given him at least this.

The pugilist-turned-adventurer rose to leave as well. "Many thanks, lady" he said to Ulmandra, "for yer hospitality and yer advice. I must be goin' now. Got a lotta packin' t' do!"

[OOC: Thanks, Grant! If you are up for it, I'm all for hopping to the 24th for the beginning of the expedition. Might do a little mundane shopping, but I don't really have any other business in Sabata I need to play out.]
--T.S. Eliot

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin!

Sure: Feel free to start the thread immediately, and we'll let it grow and start at your leisure!
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled, for all except Holler (because he's been archived).
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”