UoM: Divining secrets - 22nd Chyril MT

Moderator: Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

UoM: Divining secrets - 22nd Chyril MT

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion had swept out of the classroom with a dramatic air, the folds of his black robe billowing like shadows. He was not angry, merely irritated. The dark adhiel had nettled him, challenging him in front of the students, what was he supposed to do? Rise to the bait and accept the wizards duel? Asht considered himself above such, yet still there was a part of him that may very well take up the duel and show the dark adhiel was he was made of. The magus had still to test the boundries of his power, there had yet arose a situation where he had to stretch himself to the limits of his sorcerous capabilities. Although he prayed such a time would never come, a darker desire secretly hoped such an unveiling would occur. Perhaps not now, he wanted to Master the Secrets of Creation first before testing himself.

There was still much he had to learn though, the various applications of magic, divination for example, he knew next to nothing. And runes. He still had to learn more of them and know their meanings. Controlling the elements was his natural aptitude, yet he needed subtler means of sorcery for the future.

It was on that very thought that spurred him towards the divination tower. Diving could possibly lead to answers, about the book....and many more questions he had. Upon reaching the tower, Ashtallion slowed his pace and took measured steps, appearing calm and resolute. It became plainly obvious to him that he needed to learn more about the members of staff also...for he couldn't place the Head of Divinations name or face. Suppressing a frustrated sigh, the Magus knocked on one of the nearest closed doors, waiting to see if there was a response....if not he would have to keep trying other doors.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

"So many things to do and so little time..." Elvin smirked as that thought went through his head, the little sentence had been haunting him the last months during all his travels. "I do wonder what the endresult of such a weaving would be," the Professor mused when he descended from the observation rooms in the tower of divination.

Lost deep in thought, pondering his research, the Adhiel almost walked past Ashtallion but the flash of gold hair had drawn his attention. "Ashtallion!" Elvin proclaimed. He had heard that the other Adhiel, a former student, had returned but he had been travelling for extended periods of time and he hadn't seen him up until now. "Well if this isn't a surprise..."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion spun around from the door as he heard his name called, golden eyes wide and somewhat startled. He had not expected his name to be exclaimed along the corridor. However, upon seeing the silver haired sorcerer, the magus relaxed and smiled openly with a flash of white teeth. "Elvin!" He was indeed glad to see the older adhiel, it was another person he had yet to become reaquainted with since returning from Kislovan. The fellow sorcerer had been travelling apparently and Asht wondered at just what such wanderings had entailed. Though he decided against prying too much, for now.

"A sincere pleasure to see you again." Ashtallion bowed his head slightly, showing his elder the measure of respect he deserved. "How have you been my friend? I heard you have been doing a bit of travelling....I hope it was an insightful journey?"

The magus looked up and down the corridor to see from which way the silver sorcerer had came. "Perhaps you could help me...seeing as you were already here. I don't suppose you know who the Head of Divination is? As embaressed as I am to admit it, I don't know." the gilded mage shrugged, tendrils of his shimmering gold hair falling over his face which he promptly swept back over one pointed ear.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin raised his hands and laughed when Ashtallion bowed his head: "Please, Professor Urdil, there's no need for that. You're no longer a student and I'm not that many years your senior."

The Adhiel sighed in disgust when his golden-haired kin mentioned his journey: "The Western Kingdom is in turmoil... Those damn Oneists are idiots. Nothing ever seems to change... Especially on Kislovan. Even after twenty yahren they're still at it."

The sorcerer frowned when he tried to remember who was leading Divination but he could only remember a face, not a name. "I'm sorry, Ashtallion. I can't help you with that. I can't seem to remember the name... I often come here in the morning. The observation platform is an excellent place to think and to see the sun rise," he looked apprehensive at his former student, "I have something I want to ask you. But maybe you're busy? It's not really urgent so it can wait."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

There was no answer to Ashtallion's knock but this was not unusual at this hour of the morning. The few that focused on divination magics within the Tower of Occult Symbolism watched the stars avidly for signs and portents and thus slept at this time of day. Still, they did not wish to miss any signs during the day that might be found in the flight patterns of migratory birds for example, so the observation platform was a likely place to expect one to turn up.

Of course, there were also the augury trainers within the Battle Mage spires but they tended to focus more on defining the present at a distance than predicting the future. Still, there were those that could conjure simulations of battles to come and more than once such weaving was said to turn the tide of battle. They never managed to predict more than an hour or so ahead though and only very accurate starting information gave meaningful results.

OOC: Play on you two. :)
Last edited by Tristam on Tue May 08, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion chuckled slighly to himself. "I suppose old habits are hard to be rid of.", his expression sobered somewhat as Elvin spoke of his travels, and upon hearing him speak of Kislovan, the golden haired sorcerer grimaced. "Yes, I know all too well the rigidness of Kislovan. Perhaps you have heard of my exploits there also?", Asht gestured, waving the statement aside, "Never mind actually, best to leave that tale in the past where it belongs."

The magus glanced at the door behind him, somewhat disappointed that no one answered. A small frown creased his brow, yet it vanished as he turned to looked at Elvin again. "Ask me something? By all means, ask away Elvin......I came to look for one of the Professors....I have found the need to branch into the school of magic and came seeking someone to teach me. Odd that, I'm made a Professor, only to find there is still much I have to learn myself."

"Please, ask your question."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin shook his head: "No, I haven't heard of your exploits there but I've only been in Caliboirneabh and most of the time in Daini Saliubh and Caliboirne."

The sorcerer laughed when Asthallion remarked there remained so much to learn: "Part of being a Professor is realizing that there's still a lot to learn. Even our long lives aren't enough to learn all there is," the Adhiel looked around for a moment, "Perhaps we should walk to a more private area while we're talking. There are a few things that I don't want to be known widely throughout the University," the silver-haired Professor smiled ironically, "Even the air has ears is still a favourite saying within these walls..."

Motioning for Ashtallion to follow he started walking, in the meanwhile he described a small cirle with his index finger and whispered something. A subtle shield flickered into existance, keeping all sound within and also providing a measure of protection from scrying.

"Tell me... What have you heard of Pan's Temple and the Changer?" Elvin asked.

OOC: sorry for the slow responses, exams are coming up and projects and tests are consuming a great amount of time!
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

It took a moment for Asht to answer the fellow adhiel, his mind, more so than his eyes, studied the shield that Elvin enveloped the two of them in. He never made a comment on it though. " Pan's Temple? Very little to be honest....I had visited the Temple before many panlings had been arrested, but not since and having little to do with the Priesthood, I suppose I simply did not have any interest in it. I had my own concerns to deal with, such as finding my sister once more...", he paused for a moment, his sister entering his thoughts for the first time that day.

I had best check of her soon, see how she and her growing child are doing....my nephew....I have soo much to teach you.

"As for the Changer. I was briefed on your attack against the creature when I had taken up the position within the faculty....but again I do not know the details as you would.", he cocked his head to look at Elvin as they both continued walking. " Why do you ask? ", curiosity gleamed in his golden eyes, wondering where the conversation was headed.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin sighed: "Arresting the Panlings wasn't the worst thing that happened there... Somewhere in Samheen a great tragedy befell the Temple. Almost all Panlings were massacred. The Temple was closed to the public and I knew nothing of it," the Professor paused for a moment, thinking back to that fateful night, "I was in a... meeting with a few students of mine in the Burping Dragon when a most curious object showed up between the cups deliverd with our diner..."

The sorcerer looked at Ashtallion directly: "It was one of the Temple's most sacred objects... The Cup of Pan's Blood. Naturally I sent one of my students down to enquire who had put it there," he shook his head, "But the foolish girl dragged two other students with her to ask and secretly went to the Temple to find out what happened there."

"To make a long story short. One of my students returned to fetch me. Apparently the entirety of the Panlings was massacred by a gigantic spider. I destroyed it with sorcery and flame. The taint of the Nether was strong upon that creature. There was a stronger taint within that Temple, however. I traced it and found a book... The Nether flowing from that book started to transform ants into a gigantic variant. After killing these creatures I had to use everything I had to bind that book once more."

Elvin's voice grew softer: "I examined it... It was one of the tomes of the Libre Maleficarius, a set of dark books written by a mad dark mage. It is said to contain the strongest lore of dark magic... It is written upon pages made from human skin, flayed time and time again from the backs of the same people. It is written by using the blood of those that didn't survive the flaying and that couldn't serve to make pages anymore," his green eyes stared off into the distance as he relived those moments, "I know this for I have seen it. The book has shown me and luckily I know how to keep an iron grip on my mind... Otherwise I would most likely have gone insane..."

"That book... I studied the parts accesible to me and found a method to destroy the Changer. And so we set out to do just that. I shall spare you the accounts of that battle. Something more horrid has occured... I set out to destroy that tome and called upon the most powerful priests and trustworthy mages in the Citadel to help me. But when the book went up in flames I knew... It was a forgery. Someone had replaced it with a masterfully made copy. My wards weren't broken when I fetched it so I assume it must have been switched afterwards," again the Professor sighed, "Who is the person who brought the Cup into our possession? And who has stolen a book that can unleash more horrors like the Changer upon us? These questions bother me... And not only these... Fauna... Her dark magic is strong and she's an advisor to the Caesar himself now. There are dark mages within the University, even among the staff I suspect. You're very much aware of Tarrant as you watched him die. But I have come to the conclusion that he couldn't have been the only one... There are only a few skilled mages I dare trust right now. And others that have my trust don't wield magic skillfully enough to survive if they're left to their own devices..."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus listened to Elvin, barely drawing a breath incase he should mis-hear something, though with his adhiel ears such was to be unlikely. He had known nothing of this...massacre at Pan Temple, his thoughts flitted back to the young rose he had spent some time with, a moment of sorrow flooding him before he forced the memory aside and turned his attention to Elvin again. Ashtallion wanted to press him further on this Changer demon, he suspected there was much he would find interesting, however Elvin's aversion to explaingin more details persuaded Asht to wait until another time.

As Elvin regaled him with the tale of the dark arts book, "My my...I certainly missed alot during my abscence." he chortled softly, yet a shadow of guilt flashed in his golden eyes.

If I had stayed I could have helped with all of this. But no, instead I ran when I thought I was in danger, only to stumble into the firepit in Kislovan... he shook his head to be rid of the thoughts that sought to distract him.

"This book...The Libre Maleficarius. Do we have any other books that contain references on it? I would imagine you have already thought of that yes? It may be interesting...for my own needs...to read more about it." he paused a moment to give Elvin a chance to respond before continuing. "Ah, Fauna. I wonder when we would get to that particular topic. I have heard much about her antics since my return....and much of it does indeed disturb me. Could it have been her that stole the original Libre Maleficarius? You said her dark magic is strong, she may well be using the confounded book." his face grew concerned for a moment, "Before, I would have had no hesitation in confronting and challenging Fauna. My power was certainly greater than hers...but now...her dark magic gives her an edge I do not possess.." those golden eyes darted for a flicker. "....in saying that I may have my own edge." a brief smile twitched at the corner of his lips.

"The fact that she is gaining positions of authority also worries me. What sort of influence could she hold over the Ceasae I wonder? It may be an idea for me to see just how many Arcane Adviors there are on the council....perhaps there could be room for one more. Especially one whom by birthright holds the title of Lord, where as Fauna may hold it merely as formality." turning his head slightly, "I will do what I can to help in recovering the Libre. One reason I came to the divintion tower was to find out the secrets of another book I have my possession....but I suppose such skills would prove userful in finding the Maleficarius."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

For a moment a dark suspicion rose when Ashtallion mentioned he would like to learn more about the book for his own needs. Had his former student become a dark mage as well? Elvin sighed inwardly: "I am going insane... If I didn't need a skillful mage I wouldn't be talking to him until I knew certain. But time is pressing and I can't afford to wait any longer. That book HAS to be found."

"We have a few books that reference upon it. And I know an Aurelian who has more knowledge about the writer of these books," the Professor remained silent when Ashtallion continued and smiled when his former student finished. "You've changed, Ashtallion... You've become quite ambitious. I do hope that it will drive you in the right direction and that it will not consume you."

"As to Fauna," the silver-haired Adhiel shook his head, "I have witnessed her use of dark magic before the book went missing. And I don't believe she has the capabilities to create such a convincing copy. I have my suspicions about who might have done it but I have been quite busy with trying to extend my contacts in other lands."

A small smile played around the sorcerer's lips: "As to having an edge... I am probably one of the most knowledgeable Professors in dark lore. There's a magic which has been created specifically for fighting and defending against the dark arts. Their practicioners are generally quite secretive but I know of one here in the Citadel. And she has recently regained consciousness. I'll have to pay her a visit soon..."

The magus stopped in front of the door that lead to his private quarters: "As to divining your book. I might be of some assistance there. I have a room prepared with special wards. It once contained the Libre Maleficarius... And there's a weaving of my own devising that can... read impressions left upon an object. I developed it for my Portal research but it worked on the Libre as well."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Wed May 30, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion regarded Elvin with an appraising eye. "One day we will have to sit down and discuss what areas of strength we each possess in sorcery. I warn you now Elvin, I will be picking your brains about a great many things in the future to come. If you would not mind...I could fetch the book I was talking about...." he gestured to the door to Elvins' quarters "And return to conduct the divination on it? I would be extremely interested to see how such magics are performed, never having researched into that branch of sorcery before."

He did not want to impose himself on the fellow adhiel "Unless you are too busy, I can always come back at a later time?"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The sorcerer laughed: "I think that feeling is mutual, Ashtallion. There's so much still to learn. And even though the Universities resources are large, there are large gaps in the knowledge gathered here."

Elvin smiled: "Not in the slightest. But before we try it, I'll need to know more about the book. Reading the past isn't always a pleasant or safe task," he dismissed the other Adhiel's comments with a wave of his hand, "I'm not busy at this time. I have a few pressing appointments around noon though. When the sun is at it's highest, I'll have to be in Dort but we still have some hours. Go fetch your book, my friend."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion had merely smiled and bowed slightly to Elvin before turning swiftly, so much so his black robes swirled dramatically and he hasitly returned to his own quarters. The magus crossed to a bookcase where an assortment of various books, some merely texts of reference, others spellbooks, a few of which of his own writing. Moving aside a few books, he reached up and withdrew the Secrets of Creation. He ran his fingers over the cover, thinking swiftly, for he was about to reveal the power of this book to Elvin. Ashtallion hoped the fellow wizard could help him with his issue.

Turning again, he left his room, not before shielding the door. Not that he was distrustful of the staff or students, still, one could never be too careful.

Returning to the divination tower, Asht once more found himself standing before Elvin, holding the book of magic reverently.

"It is called, The Secrets of Creation." his voice was low, as though wanting to make sure only Elvin heard him. "It holds spells of immense power. I have cast only one of them.....not intentionally. It must take a great amount of control to use, for I was merely casting my eyes of the words, trying to decipher the text. Suddenly I was aware that I was speaking words I never knew and casting possibly the most powerful spell I have ever woven...." he shook his head, remembering the platinum energy swirlling around him as a vortex before spiralling upward to the heavens.

"The results were.....more than I expected....." he licked his lips before continuing. "Fire fell from the heavens, as though I had pulled the stars themselves down from the sky. Since then I have not read from the book, however it has reinforced my passion for my research into ancient magic. I believe this could be a book from such a time. I have never heard of any other wizard here being able to pull fire from the sky itself." Asht frowned suddenely. "The other members of the faculty are not exactly approving of my interest and research. Understandable of course. However it has not deterred me. I have good motivation for it. Our dark enchantress is one reason.

"Dark magic may be powerful.....I intend to find magic stronger still so that the threat of perverse sorceries is not as great....and that if it ever came to it, I could defeat Fauna."

Asht still held the book, then with seemingly great reluctance he held the book out towards Elvin. " I doubt I need to emphasise how important the tome of magic is to me, Elvin. If we discover anything about it must not pass your lips unless it is something inconsequential or so perilious it will affect others. Are we in agreement?"

The adhiel magus' golden gaze was hard as he looked at Elvin. He trusted Elvin, and prayed he was not mistaken about the silver haired sorcerer.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin awaited Ashtallion's return patiently, going over the conversation with the other mage again and pondering if it was safe to entrust him with the secrets of the Shadowstar. As the dark-robed mage made his way back the Adhiel smiled the eager look on the other's face resembled his own eagerness in all things magical. For a fleeting moment he wondered how different the last few months might have been if Ashtallion had been here but dismissed the thought and concentrated back on the present.

He listened with great interest to his golden-haired friend's recount of what had occurred. An eager light sparkled in his eyes when the other reached the conclusion of his tale, this book might be interesting but the Professor also realized the dangers that such a book could hold.

When his friend impressed him of the importance of the book and when he saw the hard look in his eyes, a genuine smile played around Elvin's lips. Relief flooded him: "He wouldn't have told me this if he didn't think I could be trusted. He wouldn't have told me if he wanted to use that power for a dark use. Yes, I believe I can trust him..."

"I can understand your predicament. You have my word that I won't disclose any information about it unless it seems that the safety of others is threatened," he motioned Ashtallion to follow him through the corridors of the University. He hoped to arrange new quarters next to his workroom but with the constant traveling he had been doing lately, he hadn't been able to get around to it.

"It's dangerous indeed. You know that such magic can tear apart the fabric of the Tether? It could even tear apart the barrier between the Tether and the Aether or Nether. It's similar to the problems they faced when first constructing Portals. You're in luck that my research has led me to study them. It has taken me a lot of time but I managed to equip my workroom with wards necessary to seal it from the rest of the University, or at least I hope so. Ah, here we are."

The silver-haired mage stopped in front of a sturdy door and produced a key from a pouch and unlocked it. They stopped into a room that held no furniture whatsoever except for a large table at the far end, a strongbox that seemed to be fused into the floor by magic, a lectern in the middle and a few chairs. The most remarkable feature about the room were the wards... Spiraling outward from the center warding symbols were painted on the floor, fine wards written in another hand than the ones on the floor crawled up the walls. Wards of sealing, binding, blinding, these were all known to both of the mages. The wards upon the wall were something else entirely, Ashtallion might know some of the symbols traced there. Anyone, or anything that crossed those symbols when they were activated without the proper key or protection would be incinerated.

The Aether in the room caused a tingling sensation to the skin, as if some powerful weaving had been constructed there not too long before. Elvin closed the door behind his friend and walked towards the table. Certain works of reference were spread out on it. Creatures of the Dark, Theory and Practical Application of Portal Travel, Properties of the Aether were neatly arranged on the right. The middle of the table was occupied by a stack of notes, the top page read Crossing the veil - About Portal Construction and Transportation

The strongbox was situated next to the table and it was obvious that magic had been used to fuse it with the floor so that it could not be moved. That wasn't the most peculiar thing about it though, a deadly dweomer lay over the box, any who tried to open it would be struck dead by the force of the magic that was woven into the box.

The Adhiel ignored all of these things, motioned for Ashtallion to put the book on the lectern and closed his eyes. His golden-haired friend could see how his fellow Professor deftly manipulated the Aether and poured energy into the wards that surrounded them on all sides. Slowly the wards began to glow. The mage opened his eyes again and smiled: "Come, take a seat, my friend. I think we'll have to discuss a few things first," taking his own advice he took a seat and waited until Ashtallion was seated before continuing, "First, do you have any idea who wrote that book. Second, where did you find it. And third, totally unrelated, have you heard of the Shadowstar?"
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus paused, only for a heart beat, as he entered Elvin's study, and marvelled at the wards and protective inscriptions that seemed to cover the floor and walls entirely. If the fellow adhiel had wrote these with his own hand, his estimation in Ashts eyes rose yet again. He did not however pass comment on the wards, not wanting to give the impression that he was still an easily awed and naive student.

At Elvin's gesture, the golden eyed wizard placed the book down gingerly, perhaps overly cautious of the wards around him.

Sitting down and facing the silver sorcerer, he listened intently. He had anticipated the first two question, yet with the latter his eye brow rose in confusion. " Well....firstly, no, I do not know who wrote the book. I thought perhaps the divination could reveal that answer and so help me in finding other text from the same person, maybe lead to more informaiton about the secrets of creation. The book was....in the university library...it was the title that grabbed my attention. In hindsight I find it odd such a book was relatively easy to find....." Ashtallion frowned, looking at the book once more with a fleeting glance, then shrugged. " And....Shadowstar? I can't say I have heard of it. Please...do elaborate more."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: My apologies for the extremely long wait without notice. My exams absorbed more time then I anticipated and the last week I've been struggling to pick up all other things in RL en RP

IC:
The Adhiel leaned back: "Well it doens't surprise me you haven't heard about us. I've been struggling to get some kind of organisation together but with all things that have been happening lately it's been extremely difficult. To put it simple: I've created the Shadowstar. It's an organisation devoted to gathering information and to fight agains the dark arts. And possibly even help with other crimes. The governments are only interested in their own power and usually not in the people they should serve. Their response time is too slow and because of their distrusting nature information that could help is being witheld by other countries. It's my hope that one day we can have an organisation that spans the globe and that can help the people unseen," Elvin sighed, "Needless to say that, if the right people would know, they'ld try to put a stop to it. People with power are always suspicious of others who try to gain power for goals they can't understand. It's difficult to start something because I need people with experience. Expert mages, swordsmen, politicians and so on. And it's so very difficult to determine who can be trusted. Those few who'll carry the organisation at the beginning need to be, without a doubt, trustworthy," the Professor looked at Ashtallion, "I think you know what I'm getting at. Lets first look at the book and get back to it afterwards. It'll give the both of us time to think about it."

The silver-haired mage stood up and walked to the lectern. He studied the book for a moment. "Most interesting..." he muttered while he focussed on the protective shields that were necessary. After his encounter with the sentient Libre he wasn't going to take any chances. With the gestures of a n experienced practicioner the sorcerer began his weaving. Aether, Ice and something as illusive as Time flowed in scintillating patterns around the book. Every touch left faint impressions on the Aether, signatures of energy that could be interpreted in images if the right weave was used, that was Elvin's theory at least. That what he had applied to the Libre wasn't a weaving that could be cast casually. It required tremendous amounts of energy and unwavering concentration...
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion merely sat in silence as Elvin spoke, nodding as the fellow adhiel rose and stood before the book. Had I not such designs and aspirations myself?! Shadowstar.....this organisation could prove immensely beneficial...

He allowed his sight to sink into the aether, closing his eyes for a moment to adjust and concentrate. Opening them, Asht looked upon Elvin and waited to see what sort of energy was used in a divination. Having never tried such magic himself, he felt a tremor or anticipation and excitement pass over him, the familiar stirring ran in his blood. But he remained silent, knowing that such sorcery would require intense concentration.

To all outward appearances, the golden magus sat as still as stone with a face carved of marble, yet his eyes danced with an inner light.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The tome was clearly ancient, its hide binding worn thin by innumerable eager hands, its brass fittings corroded to a brown, pockmarked finish. The volume even smelled old, like the musty air that billowed up when one sorted through stacks of documents long set aside in the cellar archives of abbeys and universities. Scrawled in faded ink across the cover, in archaic letters barely discernable to a modern eye, read the words that sent a thrill through any mage who read them.

The Secrets of Creation.

Elvin deftly wove the threads of his magic over the mystical tome. Ashtallion saw how threads of air or light shifted to more appropriate energies as Elvin worked only to reappear as threads of air and light as the weave created the images of times past.

There was no eager acceptance of the inquiry as with the Libre. Elvin had to fight for each flicker into the past he wished to look. Shortly an image began to form. Ashtallion stood before the book. His face was exultant, but his eyes were panicked. Elvin could almost hear Ashtallion railing against his own mind as he summoned power beyond his ability to control. Swirls of platinum and gold energies swirled around Ashtallion in the image building in power until they sprung forth into the night sky and reality rippled within the constellation of the Great Bear.

The scene shifted again. Ashtallion and Elvin knew it well. It was the city of Cerleann and the air glowed red orange over it. Fiery missles rained from the sky leaving flaming destruction in their wake. The missles were few in number but the fires spread.

The image faded and Elvin delved further back in time. "Enough!" A voice thundered. A flash of platinum light flared from the book and effortlessly shattered Elvin's weave. "You who have not even read a word of my pages dares to demand my secrets with petty sorceries! Claim them with your eyes and mind if you dare!"

The book flipped open and the pages fluttered back and forth in a sorcerous wind. The platinum light faded and the pages settled back with creak to a well opened spot. In a florid script, the top of the page read Immortali.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The sorcerer cringed slightly as the images of his useage of the book came to life, he should have expected this, that Elvin would see what he had done in Kislovan....yet also, somewhere in the back of his mind, there was the memory of what such power had felt like and his fingers tingled with the thought. See what I have weilded! Screamed in his head, yet he remained silent.

Seeing the fiery rain and the destruction it delivered unto his home land and city again, he paled.....but there was still that voice in his head. You have used great sorceries! Who cares of the damage?!.........but I never commanded it! That is the difference!

But then the images shattered and faded, Elvins weave was brushed aside and the book thundered with a powerful voice. Asht stepped forward, a surge of frustrated rage coursing through him. Once the voice had ended and the pages flipped open, the magus, his robes rustling about him, swept back his golden hair and those same coloured eyes narrowed as he read the title. He checked a gasp, not wanting to sound astonished, depite the fact he was. Slender fingers reached out and restly lighly on the page. For a moment, he forgot about Elvin standing there.

"Very well then.....Secrets of Creation......I will unlock your mysteries!" he spoke in a soft, almost hissing whisper.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: my utmost apologies but after my holiday I got a call from the university that I unexpectedly had to start on my thesis. I've been struggling with working on it and trying to finish a workproject ever since. The last few months have been full of unexpected surprises

IC:
Elvin was baffled when he saw the power Ashtallion had drawn from the book. His surprise couldn't have been more complete when the book itself shattered his weave. "So much power in a book? Gods..."

The Adhiel looked at the book and started to laugh. What else was there to do? A book had shattered a weave that the mage had worked on for a long time, a book!

Ashtallion rushed past him and the Professor quickly forgot his mirth. He place a hand over Ashtallion's: "Be careful, my friend. I can't let happen to the Citadel what happend to Cerleann," he turned to the book and adressed it directly, "We will read your secrets but if something happens that puts this city in harm's way I will bring you to an object that negates all magic and destroy you. I will not let innocent people be drawn into this."

The silver-haired sorcerer eyed the wards in the room, estimating their strength and wondering if they could stand up to power that lay dormant in the book. He would preferrably read the book somewhere on a rock in the middle of the ocean but that presented it's own problems. Ultimately the University might be the best spot to read the book.

He removed his hand from his fellow Adhiel's slender fingers: "You read the first page. I will watch. If something goes wrong I'll try to cut you off, if it doesn't work I will knock you unconscious. I'm not taking any chances with that. We'll read in turn so that the other knows what is happening and can anticipate, yes?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion flinched slightly as Elvin placed his hand on the gilded sorcerers' shoulder, forcing the magus to remember his silver haired companion was actually there, making him regret his whispered words. However Asht never took his eyes off the book for he did not want Elvin to see the insatiable hunger that burned like a fire in his golden gaze.

"No, Elvin. I will not read it just yet.....I need to work out how to control the power first. Its just a theory, but an obvious one. Anyone attempting to read the pages without the necessary Key to controlling the magic will inadverently cast the spells within it." he closed the book over, not allowing his eyes to skim the words. "I thank you though.....if it could so easily disperse one of your weavings..." he never finished the sentence and shook his head.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin nodded: "Yes, you might be right. Maybe we can cross-reference it in the libraries of the University? There might be some clue to it's origin. Or else we can check the Imperial Archives. There are a few Aurelians there who might be able to tell us something," he hesitated, "Or else we have to make a small trip back to Kislovan to find out more. If all else fails..."

The Professor returned to the table, looking pensively at his notes. "You might have noticed I said we. Although I don't deny your claim on the book I'ld be more at ease if you don't try to find out it's secrets on your own. As you said... It shattered my weaving easily and it managed to use you to create something of unbelievable proportions," he turned to Ashtallion, "For your own safety and the safety of the citizens."

He sighed: "So many things are happening and I dare trust so very few. And of those few there are only two who are capable mages. One of them yourself," he looked at the book for a moment, hoping that it could help them, fearing it would be used against them, "Keep that book hidden and keep it safe..."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion never spoke for a few moment, he merely nodded at Elvins words, knowing them to be wise yet there was that part of him that desired the books knowledge only for himself and the truth be told, it was the reason why he did not want to start reading it with Elvin here. He glanced up at Elvin...

"What is happening? You say so many things are happening just now....does this have to do with this Shadowstar you were talking about? I'd be interested in hearing more..."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin took a seat and motioned for Ashtallion to do the same. "This business with the Libre concerns me greatly. From those parts of it I could read I've learned that it could be used to summon another major daemon. I've done a bit of research on that book. It's a part from a series. A series that is the reference on the dark arts. Imagine such a tome in the hands of a dark mage."

"Then we have the University. As previous encounters have shown there are dark mages living here. And we have no idea who they might be. I fear attracting more mages to fight against the dark arts for I have almost no ways for determining their allegiance," the Professor sighed and shook his head in frustration.

"As to the Shadowstar. I'm facing serious problems there. I need to build a strong enough inner circle but it's difficult to find people who'ld fit in it's structure. If that was all, it would be the least of my worries. But I'm afraid money will be a problem in the beginning as well. Although I invested some of my personal funds in a few businesses I'm not sure if it will be profitable. And to make matters even more complicated, someone is trying to use the Shadowstar but to what end I'm not certain yet," the silver-haired mage shrugged, "Apart from that there is still my research."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”