Greeting a Guildmaster? (Late MT Chyril 22)

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"There are several factors..." Ashari said quietly. Her long slender leg slung over the other bounced under the framework of wood keeping the dress in it's shape. It created a slight shivering of the entire skirt. She was nervous now, and gone was the proud and daring Ash. This wasn't her own self on the line, and she didn't want to betray Aeris, but... Andolin seemed trustworthy. As she considered what to tell him their conversation made more sense. It hadn't been dangerous for the curvaceous woman until now, when someone else could take the fall.

"First, that she's a magickal being. She's a swanmaiden." That might've become more common knowledge following the fight with the Changer when she used her magick to help stop the demon. "And also that she has a connection to Ionis. She assisted him in Amun Rah and helped prevent [i]someone[i] from stealing the throne." This statement was rather provacative, as it had been Aeris's suspicion (as it was Ionis's) that it was Isis who meant to take over the throne once Ionis was killed. However, Ionis couldn't prove it, and he had such a soft spot for the vixen that he couldn't accuse her of anything. "Aeris was sent, by Ionis, to help keep an eye on Isis, but she can't do that as her captive, and she certainly can't continue her training as a Rose that way either."

Ashari's leg stopped it's incessant twitching as she finished, taking control of herself as well as finding her strength again in her final comment. "It's not that I cannot protect her myself, but in doing so, I have to imprison her. The only time she can leave is with me by her side, and I can deal with that, but I'm not sure how long she can. I fear her doing something brash. She has hinted that she thinks she's putting me in danger, and I wish to put those nightmares to rest."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Was that uneasiness that Andolin detected? Why was Ashari losing that smug confidence that she wore like an outer garment, just like Andolin? Was she afraid of Isis? Andolin leaned in to listen intently to the story. He even disregarded the curves that were so pleasing to be scrutinized more carefully.

A swanmaiden? He had only heard tales of such creatures, but had never met one. Now that he was learning to morph his body, he would like to meet this swanmaiden all the more. "So, she is Ionis' spy," he deduced matter-of-factly. "I should like to meet her." That was an understatement.

"Isis is quite a woman." This too was an understatement. "She has been friendly to me," he confessed. Ashari could discover that on her own, so why not tell her? "How badly does she want your friend? Bad enough to kill for her, or just to remove a spy? Perhaps we could save her by convincing Isis that she is no longer a spy. Perhaps her brother can send a new spy, that will make her forget about his old one," he mused aloud. "What would you have me do?"

"I certainly don't want to put you in danger," he admitted. "The key is to bargain with Isis. There must be a middle path that would protect the swanmaiden and cause Isis' interest to go in another direction." He pondered the possibilities as he took his eyes off Ashari completely and rubbed his chin in thought. He dared not command Isis. Even if he were already coronated, that would not be smart. No, he needed a more clever solution. He also wanted to know how important this maiden was to Ashari as well.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"She is, but not for anything serious. Ionis just wanted someone to keep an eye on her... I'm nearly positive that Aeris isn't the only one to have arrived from Amun Rah recently with the favor to Ionis to watch his wife. If you'd like to meet her I could arrange that. She is in her human form during the night."

Ash listened as she was cautioned about Isis. Aeris had already passed along such information. She was a treacherous woman who was willing to do nearly anything for more power, and killing was definately in that category. "Honestly... I don't think she wants to kill her, or take her out because she's a spy. So far as I know Isis has no reason to think that Aeris is a spy. She's not kept in touch with Ionis for some while, fearing an interception of any message to him. To me... it's as if Isis wants her for a pet."

A sigh fell from Ashari's full lips. "You see... Aeris was under Isis's control because she'd gone to see her - casually - as a fellow Amunic Citizen, but Isis was so taken with her that she kept her and locked her in a room. Aeris... because of her natural talents was able to escape by changing form, so now Isis knows something is up, and she wants her back." That was the whole, true story condensed for the Caesar. "But, Aeris came to me and I promised to keep her safe from Isis." Slowly Ash was reappearing from under the guise of fear over her friend and she watched Andolin with curiosity as he thought about what to do. "And I have this thing about promises - I don't break them."

Pausing briefly for a change of topic, Ash continued. "Sadly, I don't know much about Isis' tastes aside from toned and oiled body guards and perhaps a jealous streak toward women who are beautiful -- and power, so I don't know what would pull her attention from Aeris. Boredom from not finding her yet? But even then, she's... particular and striking, and I believe her Immortals would recognize her as a want of their lady long after Isis herself has forgotten the young prize."

"What do you know of her? Is there something that Aeris could trade for her own freedom? Something Isis might value?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"And she is a swan by day?" Andolin replied as if it was the logical completion of the fact that she was a human by night. "I must confess that I know little of the race. I had assumed that they were more creatures of myth."

"If Isis does not know she is a swan maiden, then she will not be looking for a swan by day. That will protect her, I would think," Andolin mused aloud. "Can she not wear a disguise at night? Perhaps she could dress as a man." Ashari had indicated that she was striking ... but a disguise could make the swanmaiden less striking and noticeable.

"Isis loves herself and power," he whispered. In that, we are kindred spirits. "The more I think on it, I would not engage Isis yet." She will want to know the secrets of swan maidens, as will I. "No, I think we must find a way to make it appear that your Rose died. Only if she is thought dead will she be free of close scrutiny."

"There are ways to achieve this ... some more acceptable than others. If another young woman were to die, a place could be arranged where your Rose could be chased by Isis' guard. She could enter a building just before daybreak. The dead girl would have hair dyed of the same color, and dressed the same. We could have the corpse laying face down at the bottom of a shaft, for example, with a smashed face. The guards would search the rest of the building and find nothing, for our maiden would have transformed to a swan and flown away. The guards would report that your Rose had fallen to her death. Isis would be greatly displeased, but would become enamoured with some new project no doubt."

It had taken all of a burn to contrive the plan. Andolin was smug about it. No doubt there was an even better plan, if he thought further on it, but he needed to get Ashari thinking ... to judge how crafty she was.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I'm not going to kill some hapless girl just to benefit this cause..." Ashari said with, perhaps, shock in her voice. She looked at Andolin in a new light, unsure of whether or not she'd chosen the correct path in telling him what she had so far. A disguise could work in the meantime, but in the longterm, Aeris had features that would make her evident... some that were harder to hide than others, such as her webbed toes and slightly webbed fingers. She could wear gloves... but how long would that last? And what if Isis spotted her.

"How long is Isis to stay here in the Citadel? Ought her voyage end once you're coronated?" It was hopeful thinking. "Because... then she would leave.. and it shouldn't be an issue, right?" It would, thusly, mean her interests were taken elsewhere. As long as Aeris could stay hidden in the meantime it'd be fine. "I guess there was a part of me that hoped you could just tell Isis that Aeris was a hero.. and off limits as far as pets are concerned." The beauty gave a wistful half-smile and shrugged. "Silly."

"Yes, she is a swan by day, and in addition to the change of form, she is protected by my spells." Ashari said, confidently, just incase anyone else were to try to steal the young maiden away. Not that the mage considered that to be a threat, but the Citadel was a dangerous place.

"Plus... as far as your whole changing someone to make them look like Aeris idea is concerned; Aeris would be hard to replicate. She has the palest skin I've ever seen and white hair with... blue.. I suppose blue is the only color it could be, but blue tinged hair. It's almost featherlike. She's a magnificent beauty."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I didn't say you had to kill a woman," he replied calmly, though he was not above doing it if circumstances were dire enough. "There are young women dying everyday ... from childbirth and disease. We only need a corpse that is close in appearance. The dead also happen to become about as pale as is possible," he noted.

"Isis shall stay in the Citadel as long as she is interested in doing so," Andolin observed, "or until the Rafao calls her home. She is a voting member of the Imperial Council, and is the representative of the Rafao until he says otherwise."

As Ashari goaded him into using his power as Caesar to order Isis around as a subject, Andolin sighed. "In the West, the King holds great sway. People do what he commands of him. Here in the Empire, Ashari, the Caesar is a powerful man, but it is the Council that rules the Empire. I am a member of the Council as Chamberlain. When I am coronated, I will have two votes. Isis has, or controls many more votes than that, as does Duke Erwin of Dort," he informed her.

"Here in the Citadel I reign supreme, but outside of it, even as Caesar, I will be the leader of the Army and the voice of the Empire. A strong and clever Caesar might be able to gain more power, but not by alienating one of the most powerful women in the Empire." Over a silly swan maiden. If Ashari had any political aptitude, she would show it by understanding what she was asking. If she would not understand, and insist that he risk it, she would show him that she she still saw him as prey, to fulfill her selfish agenda regardless of cost to him.

As Aeris was described as such a magical beauty, Andolin thirsted to meet her. "The best I can recommend as an alternative is that you bring her here. I could make her a guest of the Citadel and assign her some guard. Even Isis would be reluctant to kidnap one of my guests from the palace. In the city ... that would be different."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I'll admit it from the start - I'm weary of faking Aeris's death. She is a hero and a Rose. She'd need to start her life over, essentially, and I think even she would be reluctant to do that, even if it meant Isis would be out of the way." She commented.

"The Imperial Council.. yes.." Ashari was, as was obvious, incredibly inept at politics - especially those of the new country she inhabitted but she was a quick study and given the correct tutiledge she would learn. "I'm sorry, you're right... I hardly know anything about how the politics work here. Were you a King it would be different," she said sullenly, though she didn't push the issue of him doing as she had originally hoped he might be able to. "And the powers here are different. So it depends on how many votes you have? So.. then.. since Isis thinks of you fondly she'd be more likely to side with you with her votes.. those of Amun Rah and anything under it's control as well as anyone else she has come to sway with her own particular talents, right?" She wasn't sure if she'd summed it up correctly, but it fell into place well enough. "But were you to anger her in some way you would lose those Imperial votes until encouraging her otherwise." Ash concluded. It made perfect sense. Andolin couldn't do it without putting his own career in jeopardy.

"Here at the palace?" There was hesitation in her tone. "I'm not sure... I'd need constant contact with her whenever I requested it - she is my pupil after all." It was, however, an idea and if he could grant her access to her swanmaiden then it solved many issues. "Perhaps if she stayed here for a few days Isis would realize that you were aware of who she was, and would be suspicious were she to go missing?" There was an underlying vision forming and it included Ashari spending more time in the Citadel proper, as well as more chances to bump into Andolin, both of which would be in her best interest. Perhaps this was the best plan.

"It would have to be a guard who could be trusted to keep Aeris's secret, as he or she would be with her constantly - and a non-magick user. Do you know of anyone who could do so? And... she'd need to be somewhere with water as well." It was an awkward request. "She needs it - to change. Even a fountain is enough." Ashari paused in contemplation. "What of someone from the assault on the Changer? They would all already know of her talents, though perhaps not why she could do what she could. Valsert Forell would be my first... though I know not of what he's been doing since then." That question would be partially answered later that evening upon seeing him at the celebration of the brothel, the Red Banner. "Or Zimphander..." She tried to recall any of the others who didn't use magick, but couldn't. "Both are ex-sergeants in the Purple Guard - they are trustworthy men... unless you have others in mind?"
Last edited by Ashari on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"So, we shall not fake her death then, shall we?" he concluded aloud. "I shall give orders to find her a room. You may have access to her, of course. She is not to be a prisoner ... but my guest," he assured her. "It would give you an excuse to visit the palace." And me.

That she recognized the danger of him opposing Isis, was a point to her credit. Politics and dark sorcery could mix after all. Andolin was living proof of it.

"I was going to have my Imperial Guard watch her, but if you've someone in mind ... ." It was the name Valsert that forced him to school his features and not give away how he loathed the man. He had suggested to Ulder that he take Valsert with him against the charger, in the hopes he would die. I will arrest him and have him lashed to death. The thought pleased him. The only thing that approached betrayal, in Andolin's eyes, was insolence and insubordination in a soldier. Valsert had shown him both. It might prove to be a fine example to his Imperial Guard as to what would happen if they questioned his orders.

"Bring them both," he encouraged. He did not know Zimphander, so he would let this man be the swan maiden guard.

"You make this swan maiden seem quite helpless. Has she no ability with weapons or magic to defend herself?" he asked. It was almost as like she were a five year old child, the way Ashari spoke of her.

"Also, Ulder has been too modest to relate the story of how you tracked and slew the Charger. I would appreciate hearing, from you, the real story ... and the role that the swan maiden played. Does she have a name by the way?"
Last edited by Andolin on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Thank you, Andolin. This will be a great help to me. Having a guard for her, as well, will be fantastic, as it means I will not need to follow the poor girl around. I will be sure to get in contact with both Valsert and Zimphander as soon as I can, but in case they aren't available, your Imperial Guards will be invaluable. Thank you for suggesting and offering them." She said, and she truely was humble in this, for she valued Aeris, and wanted her to be safe. The fact that Andolin hated Valsert completely passed the young woman by.

"No, she's not helpless..." Ashari said slowly. "I just want her to be safe." People around her had a peculiar knack for just dying all of a sudden as soon as she got close to them. "She has magick. I'm teaching her shielding, so that she might protect herself, but swanmaidens have weaknesses that can be used against them, such as their need for water and their fear of magick users - especially those they don't know." She sighed and confessed, "I'm just worried after her is all... she has the ability to be a strong woman, but she's still young," Not that Ash wasn't, but she hadn't yet confided her age to Andolin, and no dount the less he knew on the subject the better. "Immortal or not, she isn't invulnerable. I just want her to become strong enough that, perhaps, she could be." And then she would be a true goddess among men, the perfect Rose, and her obvious sucessor to the Guild to carry it on until she bored of the endeavor.

Ashari swallowed dryly, but didn't reach for the brandy. Her tongue was too lose as it were. She'd told him more than she ought to, she should have asked about Isis another way, she should have brought her up into the conversation, not Aeris. She loathed herself and hoped she hadn't brought the swanmaiden into more danger in the process. "Perhaps I'm being overly cautious..." She voiced in a whisper. "Aeris, Aeris Mourir is her name."

No dount lunch would be arriving soon, or atleast she surmised as much considering the passing burns, and if it happened to come while she spoke she'd merely pause to allow the servants their time before continuing.

"Ulder, modest?" Ash laughed a bit, "Really?" There was sarcasm there. Ulder was often overly modest about his conquests. "I don't know the specifics of tracking the Changer other than it was partially through Elaine's own magick and the assistance of someone else. Once the location was found I was brought in. We met and decided to split into two groups - one to fight and one to support. I fought. Perhaps, in retrospect, hastily, and ended up being.. absorbed.. by the Changer." It was a horrid thing to think of, and she hated that she was taken captive. "It used me as a shield to protect itself, but the others fought onward. I saw most of it, though I was removed... part of the demon... like I was above everything and seeing it as if I were not of this world," These were difficult things to describe. "Aeris used her wings and her magick of light upon the hellhounds.. there had to have been a dozen of them, and another, that was much louder and larger. As the Changer was killed I was released, but I remember nothing beyond that. When I awoke it had been days.. almost a week, which is why I missed the celebration - there were rumors of my demise, but I'm not so easily killed," she said with a grin. "Like a dirty banner, I just keep turning up." The girl jested. She hadn't mentioned the flaming and hateful creature that had been possessed or how it pinwheeled off the side of the bridge into the water with shrieks that filled her mind during her restless coma.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

OOC~ I'll just assume lunch is served. I doubt the mods will care.

IC~

As lunch arrived, Andolin paused as well, until the servants withdrew. He attempted to commit to memory everything Ashari said about Aeris. She sounded like a person he would want to get to know better. "Finding a room with a fountain will be hard, but surely I can find a room near a fountain ... perhaps overlooking it." He supposed, if Aeris became his creature, he might build her a indoor pool for her own.

He was silent as Ashari related the tale of the daemon. It allowed him to cut slices of juicy meat from the game hen. He savored each mouthful as he stared at Ashari.

"It must have been horrible." And fascinating to be part of the daemon. "Have there been any lingering effects?" he asked cautiously. Already one lady had been taken from him through the possession of a daemon. She had gone mad. "What did you see that ordinary mortals do not see about our world ... or theirs," he asked. As a man well-versed in dark arts, he was intrigued by an visions of the nether that she may have witnessed.

"How was Aeris able to combat the hellhounds," he asked casually. "It seems to me that a woman who can defeat a dozen hell hounds has little need for protection," he laughed.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"It was horrible, and no, no lingering effects aside from the long sleep afterward," she said, thankfully. Ashari had watched what happened to Iorn when he'd been possessed. It was a horrid draining process. He was tired constantly as if his body couldn't handle what was going on inside him. "It was dark." Ash wasn't sure how to describe what she'd seen. "And I saw... saw the Changer's plan - how it wanted to use Elaine and her song to make everything different and warped and wrong... perverting everything that was natural and growing with that slime and blackness." The thought made her skin crawl, and she didn't touch her food, chosing instead to pick at it with her fork while he spoke.

"She wasn't the only one against them," Ashari almost said it with a laugh. "She distracted them, mostly. There were many of us.. the Inquisitor and five of his men, Ulder, Valsert, Corbin... they fought hard against the creatures." Ash paused. "Not to say she didn't fight. She was heroic, but she still needs protection... you defeated the Coven, yes? Would you leave your Imperial Guards at the door of the palace? No matter one's strength if their enemies have more it is always best to be cautious. You yourself said that Isis was one of the most powerful women in the Seven Isles. I respect that, and I don't doubt that if she wanted to, that she could capture the girl. You don't understand the vulnerability of her transformation." Her mantle. Ashari couldn't tell him of it. He'd need to do his own research if he wanted to know a swanmaidens inherant and largest issue weakness.

It was then that Ash started working on her meal a bit, stopping to comment on the room arrangement. "It would be best if it were private, so that she might change in relative secrecy with exception to her guard."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Fascinating," he replied when his mouth became free of food. "It must have been terrifying," he empathized. "Did the creature think of any more of his kind in the city? I believe that some lesser nether creatures have lingered here as well, though we have attempted to find and eradicate them," Andolin explained.

"It was I that arranged for the Inquistors to join Ulder," Andolin proclaimed. "And, it was I that lent my sword of flame to Ulder. I did want to see a happy ending for Ulder and Elaine," he confessed. Though, if Ulder had perished, along with Valsert, that would have not been the end of the world either.

"Yes, yes," he laughed, "I see your point about protection. We will look out for her. When do you want to bring her to the palace? I shall have to see what private fountain could be made available."

"By the way," he thought to ask, "is she a mage in her own right? Does she have her own magic to teach?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Chewing quietly, Ash altnernatively shook and nodded her head where appropriate, and then spoke after swallowing. "It didn't think of any creatures specifically, but I got this feeling of darkness surrounding everything. It could've been just it's vision, or it might've referred to the city itself." The mage took a drink of water to wash down the remnants of food before continuing.

"You did? Then I must thank you on behalf of the Demon Hunters, the Citadel and the entirety of Tazlure. The help of the Inquisitor and his men, though many of them were lost-" she paused in reverance to what they'd given of themselves; their very bodies; for the safety of the rest of the world. "Was invaluable, nevermind the sword." It had been a magnificent weapon. "It has a storied history, does it not? That's what I've heard of it... rumors. It's hard not to wonder what is fact and what is fiction, however, when hearing it from wash-women." It was those very women who gave Ashari her best street knowledge. It has always been the case. When she was young it was them who watched out for her.

"I should think I would like to bring her in her swan form, so perhaps tomorrow, after we've had this evening to discuss it further - to see if it's an arrangement she would be comfortable with. In the meantime I will send both Valsert and Zimphander missives to see if either might be available for the position."

"Mage? She has her inherant magick, but that isn't anything she can teach necessarily. Though, I'm sure she would happily tell you about the transformation. I'd tell you myself, but she's much better at describing it. Perhaps she might let you watch - if you ask nicely." Ashari gave a bold grin. She had seen it numerous times, but she'd only seen her sprout her wings in human form the one time - when fighting the Changer. "But other than that, no. I've taught her shielding, but I'm sure you've got atleast rudimentary knowledge in that field."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

He was pleased that Ashari gave him the credit he was due for helping see the mission be a successful one. From her account, it seemed as though the mission may have been a failure without the Inquisitors. Frankly, he was happy to see those zealots die. It meant fewer Inquisitors to spread their intolerance.

"I suppose you could bring her here on the morrow. I shall need to instruct my Chamberlain to find a proper place for her. How much water will she need? That will determine how soon a room can be readied."

"Alternatively, we could have her rest by day in the palace garden pond. It could be said that she was a special gift to me and I have assigned a guard to protect the swan. At nightfall, you might come, or I to take her somewhere private for her transformation." He was just speaking out loud for Ashari had not given him much time to prepare for her arrival. "Once we have a room with a large bath or pool in it, then she could have that room," he mused aloud. Yes, I shall say that the lady in question is quite determined to remain clean and that she requires a large bath in her own chamber. Already he was inventing explanations in his mind. Servants enjoyed gossip far too much.

"Or, you could give me another day to find something," he offered. He was quite eager to see her ... and the transformation. He wondered whether witnessing such an act would benefit his own morphing abilities.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Skilled to this point and archived.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”