Troth - Hand of the Kona - Chyril 25th - Late TT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Troth - Hand of the Kona - Chyril 25th - Late TT

Post by Vanadius »

The morning dawned crisp and cold. The gray sky above hinted at further snow, but none fell as of yet. They had been equipped and outfitted to travel fast and light. Two sleds. Enough food and water to last two weeks, and some skins and furs to replace whatever might be ripped or torn or useless along the way. Weapons and supplies of any other kind were left for them to decide.

Much was left to Lori's discretion. This was after all, essentially her mission, and there was some debate over leaving such an important task to one so young, and not even a full member of the clans. In the end the decision had already been made, even if a few grumbled that few would miss her if Skaalyr cut her throat and left her for the bears.

There was no send off committee. No warm wishes from anyone. Perhaps it was the clans letting them fend for themselves, perhaps no one wished to show any support. Possibly it was that there was so much to do to prepare. At any rate, they were alone to set off on their own schedule and make their own pace. The snow swept, earthen streets of Rimmerhold were silent and lonely.
Last edited by Vanadius on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc watched the sky in a vain attempt to guess what weather would bring. Snow he just guessed, it was in this case always a save bet to go for the worsted. He had asked Lori for a fur cloak and gloves, some oil and some more fur clothing. It would be cold out here and Langredoc did not want to freeze to death while having watch duty. The oil he needed to make sure his weapons would not freeze and stay in the scabbard. Something he had learned to deal with in the freezing winters of the Dortish highlands.

While waiting for those things who would come to him he started to introduce himself to the dogs. Dogs pulling sleds, something the young man never imagined before but dogs where good. Actually Langredoc trusted dogs much more then humans any time, and they probably had saved his life a few times when they snuggled up against him when he had to sleep in front of the masters tent.

Somehow Langredoc preferred this weather over the blistering heat of that sand filled country he visited before. Although it had some advantages he thought while blowing warm air into his hands. So he started to pass the time again by giving the dogs attention, although he always checked on Lori and the horizon after a few flickers. Old habits rarely die.....

He could have been back in Dort by now, in a pub with attentive women, drinks, good food and entertainment in the form of people who wanted to kill him. Now he would probably have none of those, except people who wanted to kill him without a good reason, or at least a reason that he would understand....

He just padded the dogs. Watching Lori talking with those people and their body posture towards her made him appreciate the fact taht he could not hear what they said and that dogs appreciate attention. He roughly guessed that he would not have liked it. So he went on playing with the dogs, he concluded that the lead dog was also the packs leader. Yeah, dogs are ok.
Last edited by Langredoc on Wed May 09, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker waited for his boss lady, his back on the blade of his sword that was shoved deep into the snow encrusted earth. He watched every breath, he took, form a ghastly figures before him. He smiled as he guessed at the random shapes the wispy clouds took.

Then, he looked onwards, beyond the essence of his air within, and saw land covered in a blanket of white. It felt so much like home, cold, dark, and gray skied.

He wondered if they had sand storms here too, prolly not. Snow, he discovered, tended to stay on the ground. He noticed the shavings of ice would stick together as they melted into one another. It was rain given solid form. But, if ice was rain, What would a snow storm be like?

He pondered that question within the warmth of his clothes. The thickness was soft against his skin, as he was used to the harsh grazing of the sand. His skin hardened by months fighting under the harsh sun, against the grazing pain of sandstorms, and the burns of heated battle.

Yes, it would be terrible, he finally answered himself. He knew how it was like when it rained and rained for days. The cold biting you, the wetness discomforting everything your body touches. If it was snow, how much worse could it be?

A distance beyond him he caught sight of Langredoc with dogs. He smiled as a thought entered his head. He rose from his earthly seat and pulled up his blade from the ground. He set it on his shoulder and walked up to the other fighter.

The snow felt good beneath his boots. The crushing sensation was a delight for someone who endured mud most of his years. He spoke when he was near.

"Eyy," he started, "Good luck man, sincerely."

He stepped nearer to him and stabbed his blade deep into the earth again. He sat and laid his back on it and continued.

"Wanna talk?"
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc quickly became aware of movement behind him but his gut feeling told him it as Reiker, and it was ok. He had always been a bit aware of weapons and danger and it had served him well in the past. Sadly it was not so reliable that he could always depend on it. A quick glance confirmed what he felt and his attention returned to the playing dogs in front of him.

"Eyy," he started, "Good luck man, sincerely." said Reiker and Langredoc heard the blade pierce the stubborn ground.

The man is strong... he thought.

"Wanna talk?" Reiker resumed after a flicker, it brought a smile at Langredocs face, but if that was because of the rolling dog or the words was not so clear..

Without turning he spoke, "In this climate if you put your sword in the ground like thatit shall collect rust in days. Its already blunt by now. Beside's if you cut yourself with it.... you get the black rotting in the wound..."

A flicker of silence then he resumed "Where did you get that nice tan ?"

He rubbed the tummy of one of the dogs.
Last edited by Langredoc on Thu May 10, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker smiled an easy smile when he heard Langredoc's reply. He had thought the younger man was stiff, uptight, as if he nejoyed bathing in starch everyday.

"You have no idea how many blades I've broken," he started, bringing his knees up to his chest and laying his forearms on them. He looked onwards, his eyes searching for something beyond the gray haze of distance.

"This blade wasn't made for its sharpness. I had it made for its, peculiar make of my own fancy."

He chuckled, "Forgive me. I'm a soldier but care for my own weapons have never been instilled or taught to me. It was all about getting results and weapons are easy to get by. That's why I'm wondering whether I should learn to smith. You never no when you'd need the skills."

He dug up a pile of snow in his hands and felt it's coldness seep away as he crushed it. "I fought my fights mostly under the heat of the sun. I didn't particularly enjoy every fight I had to fight though. You should know, being a merc means your blade arm passes through so many employers whose tastes aren't so moral."

He dropped the snow ball and looked at him, "How bout you kid. Where you going after this?"
Last edited by Reiker on Fri May 11, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"kid", Langredoc had heard it before and did not like it, It implicated to be young and inexperienced. But he preferred being underestimated then otherwise. With a sigh he wished that he was inexperienced.

While his attention kept to the dogs he responded to the man.

"A old weapon master did teach me how to care for my weapons so they would not fail me when I needed them most. He also thought me that skill and endurance beat strength most of the cases. He also did also teach me that he who lives is always a winner."

The young man tickled the happy dogs again.

"I had never money to get weapons. I got my longsword from a boy called Lang Mc Duggle, it took him about three burns to die after I had stabbed him with my kife. He came in the night to kill me with his lords sword. My lord did win the wager. And I lived on with a sword. I have carried it through many skirmishes and battles now. The short sword I got from a mercenary, just like my chain mail, he died in the battle of Clodden, against some farmers, good enough fighters to kill a lot of them, never underestimate a enemy especially when he tries to protect his wife, home and family. I buried his body and collected his gear. The armor was for a long time to big for me and very heavy, but it has saved me from several daggers. So it has its use. For me my weapons are my guarantee of survival, Nobody shall ever beat me in this life if I fight for where I beleave in, and I do beleave in my life....."

He nodded when the dog rolled over, and wondered a bit what Lori and Hex would think about it, He was silent for a flicker.

"I have lived most of my life between mercenaries Reiker, long enough to know that I don't like people who value death more then life. And mercenaries kill and fight for money, they attack for money. And plunder and rape is their reward. Thats the even in the sands true I guess."

A pause and he said "After this I go on, nothing more nothing less. Preferable where the food is good, and other entertainment is available."
Last edited by Langredoc on Fri May 11, 2007 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"I guess that's the difference between you and me. I fought a lot too, my battles aren't as heavy as yours, but they taught me enough."

He kept on looking onward, beyond the misty fog.

"My kill-stuff broke cause I used them to their limits. I kept changing them with something better of course. So far the one I'm laying my back on has survived me the longest. It doesn't have the history the broken shards of metal it had replaced may have had, but it has its purpose. Its soul if you will. It fights with me and has yet to break. It's a good sword, a good sword."

"Mercenaries are mortals kid. Don't expect my kind to be angels. Don't expect mortals, or even some deities, to be angels, saints. Priests, paladins, and nobles, some of them do what others of my kind do."

"Don't ever think we mercs are the same. Just like everybody else. Priest, knight, whatever, what we depends on our choices and not all of us choose to plunder. I just fight to eat kid. What you're doing right now, fighting to live, isn't so different from that."

"So, you looking for something fun after this eh. Why don't you ride with me for a while? Mercs aren't adventurers, but our service takes us around."
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc laughed softly with a bitter sound at Reikers words.

"I know that not all mercenaries are the same, after all I owe my life to several of them anyway. Its the one's who use them to get to their bloody goal that are the most to blame. And just remember your own words about your own weapons when the day comes that your employer tosses you away like a broken sword. Maybe thats the real difference between us, I don't search for excuses, I don't get payed to kill, and I shall never be a broken weapon, because unlike you I am nobodies weapon. I paid a high price for my weapons and they make me I free to follow my own rules and maybe to die by them."

Then after a few flickers he turned around to face "Reiker". His face showed a smile non the less.

"Well, I am not planning to die until I am old and grey after a long night with a very nice lady, so after this, we shall see. If we can stand each other I would maybe join you for a while, you pay the the drinks. But my gut feeling says me that we stepped in something that probably is worse then we have ever seen in our lives. And that after this we probably need a lot of drinking to forget it.... what doesn't change that you pay though."

He turned back to the dogs, waiting for Hex and Lori to return.

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"Frankly speaking I don't think it'll affect me that much," he replied.

Reiker pondered his words and knew he was right. There was so much he didn't get about being a mercenary though, and Reiker wished he could tell him. But, it was better if he went through it rather than see it through an outsider's eyes.

He worked his way to survive with his blade. His services were for sale, but the principles he carried with every service he accepted to give was of his own choice. He had a boss. He followed them. But they were a means to an end. An end Reiker needed to see through.

He felt his breathing warm his hand. He thought about the best way to argue with Langredoc's words concerning broken swords, but then, he couldn't find it.

"Do I look like a broken sword to you kid?" He continued, "Besides, I'm not so bad aren't I?"

"If there's one thing I like about being a merc its this. It was never about the money for me. It was about traveling from place to place, fighting from place to place, to learn what I can. It's kinda like an adventurer of war. If I was only after money, why would I be here?"
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc returned his attention back to Reiker, what was not to the liking of the dogs who started to push him. What in return made Langredoc smile, he really liked the unconditional attention of dogs, even working dogs like these.

Then after a few flickers he answered the tall mercenary. It was a bit funny to him that the man started to defend the fact that he was a mercenary after all. He probably was not a bad person...

"I did grow up in service of a mercenary knight, who took me up as a squire... more or less as a joke because he did not expect me to last long. I have seen mercenaries of noble blood who just did the job for fun and money. Second sons of powerful lords who had money but would never gain lands. Most mercenaries I met where people how had discovered that they could make more money by killing people then by being a farmer. And they would be on the right side of the weapon. Our mercenary band would probably fight about two to three times a year, most of the time our life would be just marching and waiting. For me I can wash dishes better then anybody, take care of weapons and horses and evade assassination attempts. War is not a adventure, its work and for those who hope for peace its a disaster. Your only a mercenary as long as you can handle your weapons, if you cant handle them anymore your waste and left to rot. Then those same farmers you bullied, killed or worse before shall grant you their rewards, and why do you know what mercenaries do when they get bored near a small village ?... they also don't beleave in gentlemen mercenaries. They consider them parasites. You better stop losing money on self made weapons old man, you shall need that money to stay alive one day. When your on the losing end, in stead of winning."

Silence followed when Langredoc remembered things he had tried to forget so well. His face turning back to a emotionless mask.

"But your right Reiker, the question is actually, why are you here ?"

Langredoc made a quick glance around to see if Lori and Hex where around or someone.... something else. He did not like it the leave Lori out of his sight.
Last edited by Langredoc on Sat May 12, 2007 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"Simply put, I'm here to learn, widen my horizons," Reiker replied, his hand raised to out line the vast expanse of space hazed by distance before them.

"By the way, I'm not old enough to be an old man yet. Don't take my calling you kid means underestimation. I just think being called kid is kinda cool. I feel like someone's looking after you, you know? I had that back then, a lot."

He grunted a chuckle and continued, "I'm not that much older from you mate. If you ask me I think we're about only two years apart eh? Well, old man seems kinda depressing being that I haven't gotten my wrinkles yet, unless of course you saw some age lines on my face. Tell me, do you see any? I'd prefer if you called me something along the lines of big bro, bro, or senior. I still don't know a cool synonym for upperclassman though so sorry freshman."

He said and looked at the dog's Langredoc busied himself with, "Let me ask you this though. What kind of mercenary do you think I am?"
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc chuckled softly while the dog tried in vain to capture the piece of rope. In reward he ruffled its furry head.

"Well, your older then me, so your the old man.... I don't see anybody else in the neighborhood who deserves that title more I guess."

The dogs started to bark so Langredoc tried to calm them down a bit.

"Just call me Langredoc and I call you Reiker... "

Then Reiker said "Let me ask you this though. What kind of mercenary do you think I am?"

It took Langredoc several flickers to answer, and just when someone would normally expect that he would not answer the question he said "For me are mercenaries all the same, they are swords for hire. Just like these dogs they do what they do best. For good or for bad. I don't know what kind of person you are Reiker, because thats more important. I shall tell you who I think you are after this ..... job of yours. For me I hope that one day I shall be so good with my weapons that I won't have to kill to win. That its a choice, not a matter of survival."

Then the young man hummed a bit, before making a remark. "Well at least one thing is the same with women anyware, they sure can make you wait...."

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex left the temple after finishing her meal with little more than a grunt. As much as she had wanted to, she gave Lori nothing. Langredoc muttered something about the women of Trothgard hearts being cold as ice, a thought that Hex found very amusing.

As Hex moved through the settlement the feeling this time was somewhat different, like she was an animal that was unable to make her way back home. Most people ignored her and went about their business, some stared but none spoke.

It did not matter. in the Morningtide she would be gone. The three wise men in the cave said that wherever she walked, that place changed. Perhaps it was more like whenever she left, the place was different. Perhaps.

Hex went back to her clan tent, seeking out her family. Only her father was home, and her sister Gisella. Her father had little to say and they spoke less. He was happy to se her in his own way, but she was not the daughter that had left so long ago only to come back and leave again. When she came back this time she had changed again. Solarin so'Bergliin simply nodded his head as Hex explained that she would be taking some items from his supply of weapons. There was some advantage to having a smith as a father. Hex did not want to know where the rest of the family was. After they spoke, Solarin rose, Hex rose with him. His big arms reached out and squeezed his youngest daughter. That was all and then he was gone to his sleeping quarters.

"Gisella, could you draw your younger sister a bath?"

It was a good bath, the first that Hex had since she first returned to the isle the first time. Gisella was still as silly as ever, and Hex welcomed it. Conversation was about the length of her hair, her new nicks and cuts and the fact that she had put on considerable muscle in the past half a year. It felt good to relax and let the weight of too much ice wash away from her shoulders. She did not remember going to sleep but she awoke in a chemise and not her battle gear in a long time. Hex quietly dressed and slipped out to the forge. She did not want to wake anyone and have one of those conversations. She just wanted to get back on the road out of town.

Part of what Hex was doing in watching Reiker was sizing him up and figuring out what he liked to use as a weapon. Hex grabbed one of Alufast's new suits of leather armour. Her father had reinforced the joints and rivets with his own iron work. Hex also grabbed several bear cloaks and winter clothes for the two men before they froze to death. In the forge Hex took up a sturdy short sword and a hefty broad sword. She had seen the two handed sword but she had also seen the calluses on both hads that showed that he was adept at fighting with both hands. As she was preparing her bundle Hex noticed that her father had left a Horseman's Flail out in a unusual spot. It was a wicked looking weapon. Hex thought that their might be some closed in fighting if she made it into the town, a weapon like this may come in handy. She added it to her gear.

Hefting the load to her shoulder Hex made her way in the cold air to the meeting place where they were to depart. From a distance she could see the two men speaking back and forth, Lori was nowhere to be seen.

As she approached she said little until she was upon them.

"I have brought you both proper clothing for the cold and bear cloaks to go over that. Reiker, these swords and this armour is for you as we agreed. I suggest you both strip out of those rags and get dressed. Where is Lori Langredoc?"

Hex did not move, she waited for her suggestions to be followed and her questions answered.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: I have a confirmation about the first part from Lori.

Langredoc became aware of the approach of Hex he quickly nodded towards Reiker to make sure he noticed it too. The dogs responded disappointed as the knew instinctively that playtime was over.

Then Hex said "I have brought you both proper clothing for the cold and bear cloaks to go over that. Reiker, these swords and this armour is for you as we agreed. I suggest you both strip out of those rags and get dressed. Where is Lori Langredoc?"

"She wanted to do something alone before we left, so she left us here and went off for the moment, we are waiting ever since..." There was a undertone in his voice, he clearly did not like it. Thanks for the clothing.

The stripped to his loin cloth, ignoring the cold, and changed his clothing as fast as he could. Strapping his chain mail back on over the warmer clothing below it now. Stuffing his boots and making sure that the cloak would not hinder the availability of his weapons.
Last edited by Langredoc on Sun May 13, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex grunted as her eyes narrowed and looked back to the settlement. She was not happy with Lori being off on her own but she was not a little girl that needed her hand held.

The clothes would not be a perfect fit on either man but they would be good enough. Hex looked to the dogs, at least someone had done something for them. She secured her new weapon to her back. There would be time to use it later, for now she just wanted to make sure these two could dress themselves.
~
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"Nice!" Reiker exclaimed in excitement upon seeing the bear cloaks and winter clothing. It was his first time wearing something so strange, and he really wanted to try it out.

He leapt up from his slouch like a little boy receiving a gift on his birthday.

"Thanks a lot Boss-lady," he started as he wore the winter clothes. His gaze dropped on the armaments and he smiled.

"But," he continued, "I don't wear chest armor at all. It's a policy of mine you see, but this is deeply appreciated. Are they of good work? I was wondering, if we get out of this thing alive, if I could earn a lot more weapons and armor. I'm also wondering if you could sent it to a certain Magholan of the Green and the Red with a letter attached to it. I was also wondering if my price could possibly include tutelage in scribing."

"Who forged these by the way. They're lethal, very lethal."

His gaze then looked over the bear cloaks which reached to his legs of height, and something, an idea came to mind.

"Eyy, Langredoc, there's something I want to try. You mind attacking me?"
Last edited by Reiker on Sun May 13, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was almost amused by the excitement on Reiker's face.

"The swords are forged by my father and brothers. It is your choice as to what you wear but I would recommend the chest. Trolls like to tear at the upper body. As for scribing, I think I am one of the few literate ones here and that is not saying much. Sorry I did not follow you, you want your head sent to some guy in red and green? If you die I will strip you of useful items, maybe eat you if I have to and keep moving. No offence meant."

Hex looked to the dog sleds and over the two men in almost the same gaze. Like the dogs she was eager to run. Reiker seemed to want to play with Langredoc....
~
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"Eyy, Langredoc, there's something I want to try. You mind attacking me?" Reikers words called Langredoc back from his thoughts about Hex words.

The idea of people eating people sounded very desperate to him. How desperate are these people living in a land that is almost a nightmare of ice it seems.... and trolls... what the nether are those..

"Uh, no Reiker, the day is young don't waste your energy until its evening tide. Its then I always train for sure. You shall need your energy to travel and maybe we encounter something nasty....

Hex ? How do these trolls look like, how do they fight ? Do they come alone or in groups. How do we recognize the locals, the good or the bad ones. And last but not least, no way that you eat me !! I return from the grave to kick your ass."

Now covered with furs Langredoc felt warm for the first time he arrived in this country. He had endured the harsh highland winters so he was not unknown to it. But this was of a higher well colder standard. Just in case, he covered the hilts of his blades well, so he would not freeze to them.

Then he searched for some gloves and some skins he could cut up to use for his boots tonight, and maybe other stuff.

But the heavy cloak was a godsend.. he pulled snugly around him.
Last edited by Langredoc on Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Lori approached the little group across the snow, wiping the last of her tears away furtively with the back of her hand. In the great hall earlier she had felt strong, and capable, but as she returned to the Margeir settlement and saw Rosa flying out of the kitchen tent towards her, her arms outstretched, her resolve had dissolved. Wrapped in the woman's arms, the closest to a mother she had ever known, Lori felt like a little child. Out came the fear, the insecurities, the exhaustion. It felt like a great river had been building up inside her and was finally allowed to be released. Rosa had stroked her back and said soothing things, but she hadn't needed to say anything, just being there was enough.

It had been cathartic to let go. And now, walking to meet her companions, Lori Margeir felt ready to face the future, and her destiny.

She saw that Hex had provided the men with furs and skins, and a smile came to her face. They were beginning to look the part. Her brief flash of anger towards her protector had now faded to a vague wariness. His job was to keep her safe, and she felt more confident now that he wouldn't give their game away after his outburst in the temple.

She jogged the last few yards and arrived among them, dropping her canvas sack on the floor. It contained provisions from the kitchens of her clan. Rummaging inside she broke off three hunks of bread, crudely baked into a plaited loaf and speckled with herbs. When she was a young girl, Rosa used to give her small pieces, hot and fresh from the oven. It was a real favourite, and the Margeir cook had refused to let Lori leave without taking some with her. She tossed a piece to each of her companions.

"I'm sorry I kept you waiting, I needed to pick up some rations and say some farewells." As she arrived she caught some of Langredoc's words.

"Did someone mention training?" Lori brought out her little bone dagger from under her cloak. "Whether it's morningtide or eveningtide I don't mind, but if one of you could show me some basic moves with this I'd be very grateful. I can skin a rabbit quick as you like with it...but use it as a weapon..." she pulled a face "I might need a bit of help! I know the fighting isn't necessarily in my job description, but I don't like feeling unprepared."
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

There was a bit of releave visible when Lori returned, and best of all she brought food. What Langredoc really appreciated especially when it turned out to be freshly baked bread.

So following the first rule of a warrior he made sure that his stomach was filled.

Then he realised that Lori also was talking about training, while they needed to use the light to travel.

He was all for it that Lori would learn how to defend herself, but not now.

So he swallowed a piece and said.

"Training, a good idea, but not while we need to travel. When we stop then we train. If we train now.... and I mean really TRAIN, then your tired before we start the trip. But don't worry I love to teach you how to defend your self."

Then he took a new bite.

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

OOC: I'm assuming the swords Hex gave me already have straps and sheathes.

IC:
Reiker blinked like a lost puppy at Hex's words. It seemed he wasn't clear enough it presenting what he wanted. He sighed and spoke again, hoping to be clearer of words.

"I was wondering, if I could more of these blades and armor's. I'd like to collect as much steel as I can on my journeys in case I might need it in the far future, which of course I will. I was hoping my service as an extra sword would earn me enough of these armaments. So, right now I'm actually negotiating my price not in gold but in armaments, and any knowledge about writing you might be able to teach me. There's a lot of things I need to do for the future, and I intend to do them as fast as possible."

Reiker hoped he didn't hint enough of his own plans to them. He knew that success lay in designs unknown and suddenly struck upon their targets. He knew the the risks, the amount resistance, he was going to meet not only with mortals, but even with the gods as soon as his own intentions have been found out. For now, he had to make do with what he knew and had.

He turned to Langredoc and chuckled at the other's prospect of training. He wasn't intending to train, he just wanted to try something out.

"You misunderstand me," he replied, "I do not intend to train. I intend to try something out if it works or not, and the experiment includes you attacking me wholeheartedly. Well, it still depends upon you if you wish to indulge me or not. I'm good any ways, might as well try it out later in real fights."

He glanced over Lori and her knife, he snickered at the puny blade and told her, "All you need to know about a knife is that it works best stuck to your enemy's back. What you should better learn to do though, is know how to make their weapons useless against your knife when they attack. If you wish I'll discuss the theory of knife fighting with you while we tread snow. It's up to you to practice them when we rest. For know all I can say is this, with a knife, surprise and setting is the key. Always hit the chinks on their armor, preferably the neck and eye slits on helms."

He turned back to his own newly acquired things and started to work on them fast and securely. He looked at Hex's gift of armor and he thought about what she said. He always fought without chest armor ever since he fought the war in the Isles, but he also had no idea what he was going to do with it. H didn't want to carry it around.

He grunted as he took off his top clothes and wore the leather. It felt familiar, just like his own back in Dragonskeep, but it's make was strong, sturdy, and had hints of devotion. He liked it. He turned to his boss-lady and smiled at her, "I'd like to meet your father someday. What's the price of his service anyway?"

As he spoke, he pulled on all the clothes for his upper body over the leather armor. The bear cloaks hung on his back for last. He then turned to his newly acquired blades and took them. He stepped to his modified broad sword which was stuck to the ground and thought about how he was going to carry all these blades, then a thought came to him. He pulled up his long hilted blade from the earth laid it on the ground.

He tied the straps on either side of his mains blade's flatness. He made sure the straps were secure and were tied to the places least likely to see any action as to prevent the straps from snapping if he had to use his main blade. He looked at his work again, and thought hard about what he did. He was still unsure about it though, but he didn't want to tie them to his body. The bear cloaks seemed to prevent swift drawing of his blades. He looked at Hex and Langredoc with inquisitive eyes and asked, "Um, what do you guys think?"

He presented his work to them, "Is this a smart thing to do? It kinda feels close to the way I fight."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex let the men go about equipping themselves with the winter gear. It seemed that the cloaks were a big hit...they would need them.

Hex chewed on the bread from Lori. It seemed as if the girl had started to put up some barriers between the two of them. It was not exactly a bad thing. It was a thing that did not feel right or good but rather a thing that felt necessary. So much rode those slender shoulders that Hex would sacrifice most things to see that she succeed. Even her friendship for on the length of the road, it was her success or failure that mattered, not that she liked Hex.

The fact that she wanted to learn how to fight with her small blade was an interesting development. Hex was sure that Langredoc would be more than happy to show her how to use her knife.

With the dogs checked and ready to go Reiker started to go on about things.

"You requested some weapons now and better ones if you fulfill your end of the contract. That was the deal and that it shall be. I do not know the price of my father but we should go soon as he will be accusing you of stealing some of his weapons."

Hex gave Reiker a wink.

"You seem to fear the cloak will hinder you. Drop it from the clasp at the first sign of danger, it takes but a flicker. You should strap those to your person or give them back. We have a long and bumpy ride ahead of us and I have no time to go back for things people dropped. And oh, I would not worry about getting into a fight, just hope that it is later rather than sooner."

Hex looked to Langredoc.

"I hope that in the village of the Worm that if she wants to go off by herself that you have the good mind to go with her. Trolls by the way are massive beasts with broad mouths full of sharp teeth. their claws are like daggers and they are hard to kill. They come alone or in packs."

Hex shrugged and gave her lead a snap. Her sled pulled ahead with the yelping of the dogs.

"Are we ready now? I want to cover good ground before eveningtide swallows us whole."
~
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc nodded while listening to Hex words.

"It shall not be a problem.." he answered then after a flicker he said "Do you have two large knifes or daggers for me ? Actually one for me and one for Lori, so later on I can get her used to have a heavier weapon then that bone knife of her. And I want to know more of those creatures who you call trolls, are they smart ? How do they behave, have they weak spots ? And our enemies, how do I recognize them and more importand what kind of weapons do they use and when. Can they be taunted into doing something stupid or do they find with a kind of honor ? Many questions Hex and I want them to be answered in full while we are on our way. I hate being unprepared, and I guess that Reiker also wants to hear the answer to these questions. "

A grin appeared on Langredocs face...

"Life is short when you don't have time to learn....."

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker busied himself with undoing his work. He loved the idea of strapping the two blades to his main sword, but the boss was right. They'd end up dropping if he used his main blade.

He thought about it for a long time though. He didn't like strapping a lot of things to his body if they were bulky. Knives and daggers were fine, but large blades got in his way most of the time. He wondered whether there was a way to carry them without being too close to his body. Maybe some kind of special sheathe.

His mind wandered about the design of such a sheathe and ideas to his head. He'd have to ascertain them before this mission end. If the boss-lady's father did custom jobs, he'd need the work on it. He'd need something good. He watched at the two sheathed blades and wondered where he could put them beyond the obvious of his waist. He heard the others mumbling about stuff he wasn't really listening to. He heard someone mention his name and he replied.

"Yeah, what he said."

He focused on his work again and thought hard upon the problem he set for himself. If he was going to improvise anything he'd need materials he already had at hand.

Then. he though, What if there was a blade that was big enough to hold two other blades inside it?

He set his eyes over the sheathed again and fingered the straps. He turned to his boss and asked, "Why exactly would these things keep falling off?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Hi there. It seems that V. is busier than he thought and L. is in the process of moving. I think it would be ok if we started to head out. What do you think?

IC:

Hex was growing impatient with having to wait for the small group to set out. The dogs were ready to go and they were pulling at their harnesses. Hex stepped off her sled and put the chain down to keep the dogs from taking off. Walking over to Reiker, she was not amused.

"Boy, I grow tired of this. If you do not use the full of that two-handed blade then throw it away for either you do not know how to use it or it cannot be used as it should. If you do have to use it and the straps get in the way, let alone the change in weight then you are at a disadvantage. You are already at enough of a disadvantage, do not compound your problems."

Hex snapped the two swords away from Reiker, looking him in the face as she did. She lengthened the straps and held them in a cross pattern.

"Over the shoulders, across the chest and back. Pull from the top, put the cloak over them with the handles exposed. I would strap your main weapon over it. Now if there is not any other good reason to not leave, let us move before the tide is over and we are interrupted by some other thing or person."

Hex climbed back behind the sled and held her reigns looking over the three behind her.

The Queen has strange ways of testing us...

There was a glean growing in her eye and a hunger growing inside. Hex had a true reason to be headed North this time. She had met her Queen, she had learned the power and now it was time to start to use it. By default almost all women of Trothgard were warriors, but she was a priestess who was little else but a warrior and that was what she was going to lead this small party and eventually this whole country into, war.
~

Return to “Trothgard Archive”