Night to Remember – Underside

Moderator: Mods

Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The priest blushed a bit as he realised that he had gotten information from Fialessa, but forgot that he did not always work both ways. "My apologies friend, my name is Vanir Alfheim, priest of Pan and current leader of the Temple. I have been working with Fialessa and training her as well. She told me a little about you after the Duke's party, but never got the chance to introduce us. Let us hurry to help her."

Vanir followed Talanwei down the stairs and was relieved to hear the voice of his dear friend, Fialessa. It seems that while she may have slipped from the priest's view, she was still being watched over by the gods. He stepped from behind his new friend as the others argued over what to do. The adhiel caught only pieces of the conversation, more concerned for Fialessa than the Banner, but could swear he heard something of setting fire to the building. He prayed silently to get them all out safely, even the working girls and their clients. He decided to speak, but kept his words in his native tongue for now.

"Fia, what is going on? Are you hurt? The upstairs room has descended into chaos and something strange is going on. I lost you in the crowds and could not see where you left for. Thank the gods that I found Talanwei and he brought me here. Who are these men?" The priest was certain that some of the men might speak his tongue, but hopefully he could not find out what he wanted without informing them all. He only recognized a few, including the former soldier he had spoken to briefly before leaving with Anora.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Not good. Not good at all... too many variables. The Panlings should not be here. And Valsert seems to have brought some sort of unathorized raid down on the place. No- not a raid, an attack meant to wipe it out. Is he working for a criminal interest now? Or has Fauna drawn that much attention to herself?

Barrett sent his perception fluttering once more around the edges of the energies beneath the Banner. He searched both memory of his earlier scan and the reality before him for alternate exit/escape from the building. He at least wanted to ensure that some of them could get to safety if the brothel-cum-nightclub came crashing down in ash and flame.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Apart from the group gathered at the top of a staircase, there were no sounds coming in from elsewhere. The air grew a bit stifling, so many bodies pressed together making it a bit hot, but still quite bearable. Slight draft wafted upward and under the door they have entered through. Barrett found himself unable to reach too far down the passage, the red energy sticking to his own spell fingers and making it increasingly harder to reach out the farther he went. Just around the corner a trio of doors stood, the corridor turning left some twenty paces away.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei had obviously missed something. Danomel mentioned arson, Corbin talked about being burned with the brothel, and Ashtallion talked about the building going up in flames at any moment. Suddenly the need to fight the darkness beneath the Banner took a back seat. His first thoughts were to those in the main building, those upstairs in rooms, and everyone that didn’t know that the Banner was apparently going to burn. The Achadiel did not know who was to blame, to be honest he would have been surprised, shocked even to hear that Valsert was behind it all. However none of those things mattered at the moment. They had to be warned, all of them. Truthfully he didn’t care if some or perhaps all were morally bankrupt, the fact remained that they didn't deserve death. The Achadiel was possibly blissfully unaware of any of the things Michael Crane was involved in. He had no way of knowing exactly what Fauna was dabbling in that caused the connection between her and the force beneath the Banner.

"Arson? Up in flames? The people must be warned, or innocents will die. I don’t know the motive for this attack but..." Talanwei didn’t know how to continue. He looked at the floor and back toward the entrance. The paladin heard nothing…perhaps it had not begun? In that moment he remembered that Keaira was among those upstairs. He looked to the mages gathered, at least two he knew for certain and the other was rather obvious as Corbin referred to him as Professor. The name Urdil struck a chord in Talanwei. He felt he had heard it before, but he was certain that he had certainly not met the man before...at least, not in the Tether. Talanwei was aware that sometimes souls met in the Aether, but he could not follow through with this train of thought. Action needed to be taken immediately.

"The Banner can burn as far as I am concerned but I am going back to save as many as I can. However, I cannot say for certain that I am skilled enough to stop flame," it was to Fialessa and Vanir that Talanwei looked first, "Fialessa is injured and Vanir, your priority is to preserve her safety correct? We must get both of you out of here. If anyone would like to assist me if only to ensure these two are not caught in the fire and get them to safety…"

Talanwei moved to help Vanir with Fialessa.

"Can you walk Fia? If I’m good for nothing else, I’m able-bodied enough to carry you…?" said Talanwei in Adhiel as he smiled at the priestess of Pan. For that flicker, he waited for her response so that he could determine what was best to do. Inwardly, he attempted to focus and envisioned himself as the face of an undisturbed lake. If he had to ask Illuminatus for assistance he needed to lay aside all of his distraction.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

The stuffiness in the stairway did only deepened the irritation that Valsert was feeling. All these powerful people in such a tight space, and none taking the first steps to end what ever evil was down here. Not even the threat of a fiery demise seemed to spur them into action.

There was a demon down here, or so he had been told. What sort of demon he had no clue, but the choice between leaving now to avoid his own trap above, or allowing another darkness to thrive in the city...well, it was no choice to the man.

Having been whisked away during the dark magical storm, having heard the rumors of young lovers lives shattered by the works of evil in the city, the hell hounds before the riots and having faced the Changer and its minions not once..but twice. It was more then enough experience to solidify his mind on the matter.

“Pans hooves people! If there is a demon here, it must be put down now. No more words, either join me in putting it down, or off with you!” He said, then spun on his heel to continue into the buildings underside.

Illuminatus light my path....Let your child guide my fate towards your light. My battles against your enemies have just begun this night, if it is to be my last then let it be a victory....and let 'Illuminatus's Fire' burn on without me.

It was a simple prayer, by a simple man unskilled in the knowledge of proper respects., but Illuminatus was his god.

Unclasping his cloak and letting it fall to the floor, Valsert drew Angrvadill, and never looked back to see who followed.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Haste, haste. The way of a warrior. Provided with none of the answers he sought, the Querist quickly composed himself for the sake of his companions.

"Master Talanwei, an excellent idea. Someone should do the right thing by those whose lives are needlessly forfeit by Valsert's allies. Fia, please do go, I fear you do not have the training for this venture even if Pan's energy is an appropriate tool."

Before moving forward he reached a hand forward to Danomel.
"I have no right to ask you to risk yourself in this - I do not even know if there is a way of escape from below. The choice is yours, to help Talanwei or continue."

Ever vigilant for tricksy twists of energy and potential traps, the Aurelian moved to keep close on Valsert's path.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

After Talanwei‘s entrance, followed swiftly by Vanir, the scene turned quickly into a jumble and flurry of words, movement and action . And it was not exactly something her mind followed as her eyes tripped from man to man. For a moment her eyes flickered accusingly at Vanir as he asked after her, he had promised to watch her.

But too many were talking to her - asking her questions, wanting to know what she was going to do…Demon, it was a simply said word as it came out from Valsert’s mouth, but it had all the affect of widening her eyes. No no, not equipped to deal with that… She’d never be able to keep up, and if what Barrett said above about her being a sacrifice… She shook her head and weakly, likely selfishly stated with a sigh. “I just want to leave this place and never come back…”

Fia wished she could be braver, but she knew she’d just be a liability in this situation.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Vanir could barely understand what had happened down there and cared little about it truthfully. He had come down for Fialessa and her alone, everyone else seemed to know what they were doing. The priest nodded towards Talanwei, admiring his compassion towards the people upstairs. They did not likely deserve his compassion, nor would they return his kindness if the tables were turned, but it gave it freely.

Vanir moved quickly towards Fialessa and slid and arm around her waist. He held her tight, hoping she would be able to walk, but determined to carry her if need be. The worried adhiel spoke firmly in their own tongue. "I'll look after her, Talanwei, but you must go help the others. We must try to save as many as we can." He turned his glance towards Fia and spoke softly. "I am taking you to the temple and I'm not stopping until you are safe. Are you ready?"
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Glancing back at Talanwei, Danomel comments, "It is best to try to get the people to leave. I just hope that whatever is below is not exerting too much influence, but still worth the effort.”

With something of a bemused expression Dnaomel watches Valsert start moving down the stairs. With a shrug he exclaims "Yes by all means, who needs a plan when facing the unknown?"

Danomel grasps Barrett’s outstretched hand for a moment. “You don’t have to ask. Someone needs to watch your back, and it is my honor to do so. Lead on.”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin waited as the decisions were made, his previous attempts to generate impetus having had little affect. The party was fragmenting, some going back upstairs to get people out, whilst the rest were the press onwards. He fingered the sword in his hand impatiently as the choices were made. Time was certainly beginning to press. As he waited for those who were going to go, and those who were staying to stay, he reinforced the magical shield about him, to make sure it was solid.

Then as Valsert set off, Corbin followed him calmly. He was nervous, of course, and a little apprehensive but he would never let that show. And besides he was also excited about the prospect of what lay up ahead. He maintained a watch on the aether, watching for any tell-tale hints of demonic presence - he had seen it before now, and he hoped to be able to tell more easily when such a thing was near.

As they moved down the corridor they came upon three doors and Corbin moved swiftly to the first one to open it, intending to do the same with the proceeding two to see if whatever they were hunting lay behind the doors.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The gilded sorcerer watched Talanwei, also feeling that sense of familiarity. He would have to remember and find the young achadhiel at a later date and question him some, to find out where the strange sensation derived from. The achadhiel stated he would go back up the stairs and warn the people....Ashtallion's eyes flicked to the cieling, as though he could see through it, which of course he couldn't. The Magus' face was without expression and he turned, following Corbin, Valsert and Barrett.

Asht paused though. The folds of his red robe falling into an orderly manner about him. Should I go back up and them also? He had no idea what kind of influence Talanwei, the one called Vanir or Fia would have on the patrons of the Red Banner. He knew he could influence them easily, even if it meant hoisting them off their feet and dragging them out magically. However, though he knew Corbin was a gifted young sorcerer with power behind him, and Barrett was a Priest....Asht did not want to run the risk of whatever demonic power was responsible for the corrupt energy, being too powerful for them to overcome.

Making his mind up, he continued after Corbin and the others, the hem of his robe once more whispering about his ankles.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Well done. Now I can assume just a bit to push things forward a tad.

Fialessa's leg still hurt, but she would have been able to walk even unaided, Vanir's assistance making it easy for her to hobble along. Valsert was at the bottom of the stairs by the time others decided to follow him, Barrett and Corbin quickly catching up, with Danomel and Ahstalion in close pursuit. Meanwhile the trio at the top reached the door leading into the taproom and as it was opened were met by a wave of hot air, sweat forming on their skin almost instantly, screams of the people burning and dying assaulting their ears. There was a press of people at the front door, flames licking upwards spreading across the floor quickly. Burning men and women ran about, flailing their arms blindly for several flickers before shock struck and they fell to twitch and burn. Hot air carried the smell of burning flesh with it, filling nostrils with its sickeningly sweet scent.

The other group have rounded the corner by that time, only faint echoes of screams reaching their ears. Those with their sight trained on Aether would see that the red energy came from the last of the three doors, the first one left wide open. Female clothing lay scattered across an oversized bed, a few of those obviously meant for someone of great stature. Second door was locked, a chanting coming from the third now faintly audible from the crack under the door. Draft that flowed upstairs grew in intensity, without being replaced by more, their lungs struggling to draw in more oxygen with each labored breath.

Please proceed to the other thread you three and assume my last post is available for your perusal
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin's head snapped round as the faint sounds of screaming reached his ears. What the devil was going on up there? Had Valsert's men torched the place already? For a moment he was torn between heading upstairs to see what was happening to his friends, to the people there. But no, he couldn't do that - he was here to try and find out what lurked beneath the Banner. He turned his head back to the front as they walked.

His surveying of the aether finally paid dividends - the last door was where the red energy was coming from, and as they got closer he could hear the sound of chanting coming from that door. Even as they approached the sound of chanting could be heard. Corbin relaxed and then tightened his grip on Keen as they got closer. The atmosphere was stifling now, and it was becoming more difficult to breathe. He began to focus and concentrate on his breathing, trying to slow it down so that he was not taking more than was necessary.

As they reached the door he turned to his companions.

"We don't have much time - I fear Valsert's men have already launched their attack, and the air is beginning to thin." Corbin said quietly to them. "I say we blast this door in and stop whatever is going on inside before we run out of time."

He began siphoning energy towards him, drawing it in in preparation to combat whatever it was that lay within. He wanted to get this resolve as quickly as possible, and maximum destruction might well solve that. Even so, he gave the door a magical examination - there could be wards or the like designed to stop them.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion had also glanced behind him, needlessly, as the faint cries and screams of the patrons upstairs reached his adhiel ears, picking up more than the humans possibly could with his sharper hearing. But those ears forgot the sounds of the terrified customers when the soft notes of a chant reached them. His eyes narrowed on the door the chant came from and for a moment, whilst Corbin was speaking, Asht closed his golden orbs and concentrated on the chant, trying to pick out the words being spoken, listening for something he might recognise.

Still with his eyes shut, conscious of the thinning air and not wanting to waste his breath, he spoke softly, "Blasting the door down and whatever is inside may disrupt the caster, Corbin. However swiftness is required...." the Magus opened his eyes at this point, once more staring at the door. Turning slightly to Barrett and Valsert, "What do you both think? If Corbin blasts the door down, I can send a torrent of sorcery into the room and destroy it....but I would advise everyone stand back once I do so. The combination of magics could have unexpected results. Corbin can raise a barrier protect you all......though I am open to other, less.....destructive means."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Rather than blasting away at something that might be able to absorb or alter the energy, I'd suggest trying something more subtle to start. Master Urdil, can you not dampen the sound as well as control light? If the chanting focuses the foul energies, perhaps silencing it will be of use."

As for the door, Barrett strengthened his defenses and stepped forward to see if the more mundane method of opening it would be effective. If he could simply open it, that would save Corbin's energy for the battle to come.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Even with breathable air fleeing from them it was as he had feared, the great minds gathered on this quest did just what those without the military discipline of the Purple Guard would do. They discussed their options, offering chance to be discovered or heard while they discuss what magics divine or otherwise, would serve them best.

He did not need a 'great' mind to realize they had not yet been discovered, that much was assured by the continued chanting. But with the breath of every word they spoke, he knew there was no air to replace it, and chances of surprise dropped with every flicker.

And just what in the name of the gods gave it away to you that they are 'my' men Mr. Dilli.... The thought began but was interrupted by the sight of Barrett moving forward.

He could not let the unarmed, unarmored Barrett move for the door to try the handle. They needed surprise, and simply turning the knob would surly alert anyone inside that they were there. In his mind, the seemingly defenseless Barrett would fall to even an unskilled wench with a dagger if alerted.

In an attempt to save the 'thinker' from a possible fatal blunder, and regain any element of surprise that may remain, Valsert ran forward.

Sword low in his right hand as it trailed behind him, he charged forward, doing his best to not hit Barrett as he ran. Then with a last moment lunge and grunt from the effort, he rammed his left shoulder into the latch side of the door.

Although his blade arm was ready to swing up and into what ever lay beyond the door, he also knew that there was a good chance his contact with the door would leave him dazed for a moment. Such was always the risk when one was the brawn.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht listened to Barrett intently, but frowned as the priest suggested dampening the energy. "Possibly, understand though I am an elementalist and battlemage....but I will see what I can--" before he could finish his sentence, Valsert surged passed Barrett whom had moved closer to the door, and without so much as a word, hammered his weight against the door in some obvious attempt to open it.

Blasted idiot!

He didn't think the man would have been so careless and stupid to have acted so rashly. Yet, he was human and it was his experience that humans sometimes acted on impulse more than adhiel, or perhaps it was simply the difference of their professions. At any rate, the magus doubted he would be able to open the door in such a manner. Most likely it was warded or shielded against mundane physical force. Asht poured a bit more energy into his shield and expanded it to encompass the others standing nearer him. He tried to surround Valsert to protect him from any sorcery that lashed out as a result of his foolishness, though he did not think the shield would protect him in time.
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As they moved around the corner, Danomel glanced at the open room, noting its size and estimating how many it could comfortably hold. Additionally, he noted how heavy the door latch was, wondering how hard and what the best way would be to break one open.

As the two mages talked of blasting the door, and torrents of energy, Danomel began to become somewhat concerned. He had to hope that the two knew what they were doing, as it was obvious that whatever energies abounded in this place seemed to interact in strange ways with the energy use of others. Barretts approach, while less destructive still might suffer from the same problem.

Barrett had already voiced his concern, so with nothing to add, Danomel moved to the hinged side of the door hoping to not only get a look in, but also stay out of the mages line of fire when Barrett tried to open the door.

Danomel found Valsert's sudden charge at the door not to surprising, as he had already demonstrated a penchant for rash impulsive acts. However, in this case, with breathable air rapidly running out, a rash act might possibly be just what was required.

While there had been talk of demonic forces, Danomel recalled from another conversation he had with the pannling Noland, that demons did not need the whole chanting ritual to use their power. So the chanter or chanters were probably human. If the force was demonic, then hopefully the chanting was controlling and not restraining.

Regardless, there were to many unknowns at this point. The best hope was that the energy would cease once the chanters were stopped. The worst possible situation was that something would be let loose if the chanting was stopped. Either way it was probably best if the mages and Barrett were the ones to left to deal with whatever was left after Valsert's attempted entry. So with a quick prayer to the thinker, Danomelprepared to take his chances and follow Valserts into the room, provided he made it through the door.

At least any traps should be revealed when Valsert enters. The thought was small comfort to Danomel though.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Closest to the door, Valsert was the only one who managed to note a change in the surrounding. Chanting behind the door had stopped for a flicker changing into something else entirely, becoming hurried and faster than before. The door itself carried a few wards upon it, though given the short time allotted to him, Corbin did not have a chance to learn much of it. All happened to fast for him to have the chance to disassemble the energy into its basic elements and learn what it would do to the unsuspecting Valsert.

It was surprisingly easy for the young warrior to burst through the door, only a single latch holding it shut, and it gave way with just a momentary hesitation. Inside stood a woman, dressed in simple clothes, limp brown hair plastered to her forehead, her skin shiny with sweat from her prolonged chanting and great amount of energy expanded in the process. Her hands went up, and she pointed her hands towards both Valsert and Danomel and then simply slumped down, face frozen in an expression of utter shock and pain. Not even a flicker later the very foundations of the Red Banner shook with a violent explosion above, mortar and dust filling the air. Great chunks of stone came flying around the corner, luckily the small group of heroes shielded from the fragments by the bend behind which they stood. Breathing became impossible, each breath taxing the lungs, dust drying their throats. Every source of light went out, choked by the dust and thinning air, casting them all into utter darkness.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht gasped as he saw the woman in the room, Valsert managed to burst the door open, a great surprise to the mage who thought it would have been warded or shielded in some magical manner. Looking passed Valsert into the room he had seen her raise her hands to cast some spell at the purple gaurdsman and Danomel, the gilded mage started to move forward swiftly, meaning to push past Valsert and intercept the spell with his own.

But, the woman simply keeled over. Before the sorcerer had time to register this and ponder it, the room around him and ground beneath his feet shook violently. Dust and brick exploded upon them and the light vanished. The mage fell to his knees, breathing became increasingly difficult. Darkness swallowed them all.

His first instinct was to raise a shield and despite the lack of air, Asht tried just that, summoning his energy and weaving force energy around himself like a dome to deflect any physical objects such as the mortar and brick. The mage had the magical strength to do so, but the lack of air made it difficult to concentrate.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

It all happened rather quickly. The magic users prepared to break the enchantments on the door, and whilst they were doing that Valsert flew against it. Corbin mentally braced himself for an explosion of magic, and he was already desperately preparing to try and counter them. But there was no explosion of magic, not even a quiet pop of magic.

Corbin moved swiftly through the breach created by Valsert's form his sword in his hand and a store of energy at his command, waiting to battle whatever they encountered within. What they encountered within was a woman, dying. That was something of a let down, Corbin thought as the sole target expired. Yet he had little time to consider that as the whole building shook with some kind of explosion. Dust filled the air and everything went dark.

Natural instinct may have been to panic, but Corbin was determined not to give in to that instinct. He closed his eyes, knowing that they were useless for the moment and not wanting to get dust in his eyes. He forced himself to calm, and focussed all his attention on his magic which would surely be the only tool that would get any of them out of here.

His shield had been up already, but he quickly reinforced it to block physical objects, taking the energy around him and weaving a tight structure of magic to block such attacks in the way he had done earlier that day. The next task was to try and clear the air so they could breathe - light could come later. He concentrated hard, but had to act quickly before their air ran out.

He knew that the dust in the air would naturally sink down to the ground, but to do so the air would need to be still. He began to try and identify the energy in their area of the Banner that was the most turbulent, which would hopefully be that of the air. If he could detect that he intended to try and control this energy, to bring it under his command and still it, allowing the dust to simply fall to the ground and give them at least a limited supply of air before they began their escape.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Valsert's action caught Barrett by surprise, the priest wondering if the warrior carried something to shield him from magickal attack. The scene within the room was puzzling, but there was little time to ponder its meaning as the Banner started falling to pieces.

The Querist remained calm, centered in his mind was the belief in logic and reason as the proper way to deal with crisis. He called once more upon his god.

Thinker, grant us light that we may see the way through this trial. Guide my reason in working with these others so that the Great Pattern need not be disturbed too violently.
In the meantime he crafted a quick, simple formula from the silver energies that burned deep within his soul: a gentle light to provide clear vision without the intensity to blind or aggravate the eyes of those with him. This he bound to the energy of Aurelius within Danomel in order to free his mind for more complex tasks.

Air seemed the most urgent need, powerful or not, the heroes could do little if they were forced unconscious by asphyxiation. So Barrett turned his attention to his shielding net. He often used it to filter out noise or light... could it be used to filter out dust and stone from the air? He thought it would work - at least on the larger particles. The priest extended it slowly, adjusting the formula and size of the filter to see which worked best. As his awareness expanded, he caught upon the pattern of Corbin's efforts.

Clever, lad. But if you still the air completely, it will not easily move to allow the debris to fall out.

So as Corbin tried to still the air, Barrett attempted to comb through it with his net to clear away the rock dust and restore the immediate area to a breathable environment.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel finds the sight through the open portal somewhat anticlimactic. While he was reassured that it was just one person, he was also somewhat disappointed that there was nothing more spectacular to see.

As rooms occupant collapses Danomel could not help but think, is this it then?

But this was quickly followed by a sudden disaster. Of course, there had to be more. Is the Banner collapsing on top of us?

Suddenly dust and debris fills the air, Danomel pulls his shirt up over his mouth and nose. In the sudden darkness he pushes down the first waves of panic and forces himself to relax. Nothing to be gained by burning up what little air and life might be left to us, no pun intended.

Deciding that there is nothing to be done physically in the current situation, Danomel offers up a short prayer to the Aurelius. Great Thinker, if it be your will, I ask that you grant guidance and strength to your servant in this moment of need. With that, he opens his mind to the aether.

Not knowing how much time is left to them, Danomel starts examining the energies of his surroundings, seeking anything that might be of assistance.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
valsert

Post by valsert »

The door gave in much easier then Valsert had anticipated, sending him crashing forward onto one knee as he attempted to stop himself from falling. Had his suspensions been correct about an armed attacker waiting beyond, his life would likely have been forfeit.

Momentarily dazed by the effort, he barely noticed the woman in the room until she fell to the floor. And even then he only saw her for the briefest moment between her death and the explosion behind them.

Trap was the first thought that entered into his mind, although it remained only a fraction of a flicker as he realized that if it really were a trap, he would be dead. Then there was no more time to think.

The sudden addition of the dust cloud into the already thin air caught young Forell by surprise. His lungs already laboring for the needed supply, began to burn as he took his first shallow breath. Without thinking, by instinct alone, he pulled his shirt over his nose and mouth with one hand even as he placed the other on the floor for balance. The hilt of his drawn sword biting painfully into his palm going unnoticed as he coughed into his own clothes while exhaling the dust.

He was no mage, to have a shield about him to breath, as he assumed the others did. Nor was he trained in the paths of priesthood to connect him to the gods. No, he was simply a man...a warrior...a rogue pseudo Paladin of Illuminatus, with no proof, power, or training to show for it despite his dedication.

Thus it was that as he knelt there, seemingly powerless against the situation, the only thing he could think to do was pray.

Great Illuminatus, my master, If you look to my heart....you know that all I do is to restore the balance undone by the corrupt of the world...and to fight the demons who take advantage of that corruption to destroy your works. I will continue to be your champion in this as long as you have need of me...... and if I am needed, then guide me now and grant me wisdom to keep the candle of my soul alive so that I can continue this fight..... and if it is your will tonight for my candle to be snuffed, let not “Illuminatus's fire” burn its last with my parting.

There was no pride in his message, no greed or pleading. Simply a man seeking guidance from the god he tried to serve.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While the hero quartet lay in the darkness bellow, fire raged above them, heating the basement air through the thick stone floor that was their ceiling and brothel's floor. Lucky for them part of the roof and walls leading to their little hideout had collapsed, fire no longer sucking the air out, but now they were trapped in utter darkness, with no easy way out it seemed. Ashtalion found his shield utterly unnecessary, as no new explosions rocked the foundations of the building, the particles flying in the air too small to hurt him, his shield keeping the dust away from him, but also keeping the dust already within it close to the mage and making his breathing equally as difficult as the others.

Barrett's conjured light shone brightly in the darkness, blinding them all for several long flickers before their eyes adjusted to it. At first it was far too bright for any of them to look around for long, but as flickers passed the light dimmed to a more comfortable level, one initially intended by Barrett when he conjured the spell and linked it to Thinker through Danomel. Through combined effort, Corbin and Barrett managed to clear the air somewhat, though it would take more than a single pass of the Querist's net to make it clear enough to breathe comfortably. To make matters worse, Ashtallion's powerful shield interacted with their spells, making the air swirl around the battlemage.

As everything stilled and light became bearable once more, a simple room became visible, the female body still lying motionless upon the floor. A small cot sat in the corner, while a variety of alchemical equipment was stacked on the table covering the left hand wall, a number of glass objects upon it shattered by mortar that fell after the mysterious explosion from above. A dress lay upon the bed, a dancer's outfit, similar to one Flora wore above, but of a different color. Nothing else stirred, the air heating a bit, but not to uncomfortable levels and seemingly keeping its temperature constant for now.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”