The Morning Comes (The Dortman, Chril 23, MT, early, open)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

The Morning Comes (The Dortman, Chril 23, MT, early, open)

Post by Felecia Grennarth »

The sun had barely broken the horizon, somewhere, surely, there was a change in the light, though Felecia could barely tell. She had enough wine to drown a man and still she shook, little tremors, and while her eyes were open they were unfocused and bloodshot as she sat huddled on the bed in her room, staring at the door, rocking.

The rap on the door made her jump and she stood suddenly and ran to it then stopped, taking a deep breath and smoothing back her hair. She swallowed hard and shivered as she spoke, "Who...is there?" she asked, and the voice replied, "Delivery, Signora, as promised." She barely let him finish before she opened the door and glanced down at his hands, reaching for the pouch he grasped. He grinned and looked at her with "that" look and jerked his hand back, "Now now...don't be so eager.." Felecia blushed and her eyes narrowed as she retorted in a snip, "Do as you've been told and give it to me, or shall I report you haven't?" He smirked at her and held the pouch by the strings and then tossed it toward her, short and sudden, letting it hit the floor. "Fiesty.. " he murmured then turned on his heel. She didn't watch him go, she didn't hear what he said, the girl was scrambling for the pouch and hurried back inside her room.

Panicci had always had the finished tea brought up so Felecia never once saw whatever it was that settled her stomach and calmed her nerves. Once open the pouch was tilted up a bottle toppled out of it and she picked it up, shaking, "Gods.. what is this..." she nearly shrieked, staring at it. She unscrewed the cap and put her finger to the wet top of the bottle the licked her finger. Her face curled into a grimace at the bitterness but her body was awash with a familiar, comforting warmth and she smiled. "A swallow perhaps...right? It has to be more than one dose..Nico would not send just one dose, right? Right."

With that thought in mind she turned up the bottle for a swallow that made her nearly gasp at the repulsive taste. Felecia barely had time to set the bottle on the table before she felt the room begin to float away and she soon drifted into the blessed darkness. When she woke she'd have a knot on her head from striking the bedside table and soreness from sleeping on the floor most of the morning but for now, she was at peace.

(OOC: I hope I didn't take too many liberties with the delivery..I tried to be vague)
Last edited by Felecia Grennarth on Mon May 21, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Nicely done, and I'll roll with this, but in future please leave NPCs and their actions to the mods unless they're very insignificant, thanks. :))

The squat Flying Dortman was abuzz with conversation downstairs. The usual early morning clientele chattered away about the previous day and night's happenings over prosciutto ham, eggs and the espresso that would give them the energy to plough through another day at work. Behind the bar stood a pair of men, both wearing fine buff coats with frilled, billowing sleeves and broad grins as they chatted and laughed with their patrons. The smell of piquant coffee and fried food filled the air, and the floor, different from most wayside inns, was of polished wood that, while well worn, was sturdy as ever.

Upstairs, though, little of this atmosphere broke through to trouble those still asleep. Certainly nothing was intrusive enough to penetrate the protective cocoon of Felecia's opium-induced slumber. And so morningtide life in the tavern's taproom went on, the staff and patrons as oblivious to Felecia as she was to them.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

The none-too-subtle throbbing of Felecia's head is what finally drew her from her sleep and she opened bleary eyes, disoriented for a moment in the haze. This was not Panicci's..where.. she left with someone..who? She blinked and sat up slowly, putting her fingers to her temple to rub, eyes moving over the room, her mind trying to sort through the snapshot-like images that kept popping up. Scarf... carriage.. Nico... Nico. She left with Nico, he brought her here..and it all started coming back.

Felecia stretched a little and finally stood on shaking legs, catching a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Her braid was unkempt, clothes wrinkled, face tired and pale, eyes dull, hands clasped in a nervous perse in front of her, and she sighed at the image. "I just need a brush and to get out of these clothes and find some food and.." her voice trailed off as she talked to herself, realization setting in that all she had was a purse full of coins. Her chest thudded for a moment at the remembrance that she'd left behind everything she owned, her journal the most prized of those possessions. "Ok, so I just need...everything.." and she flumped back down on the bed, head hanging a little, the pressure in her head only growing as the tears started to fall.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

With a deep breath and sigh Felecia finally stood. At least for a moment she'd have some resolve, nothing would get better if she sat there crying, though one needs a good cry now and then. She lifted her head and headed for the door, pausing to inhale again, "Chin up, girl, no sense looking as ashamed as you feel." Her eyes take on a blank look and inwardly a wall goes up as Felecia wills herself outside the door in search of someone who can tell her where to shop, a simple question really.

Felecia did her best to move quietly and quickly, desperate to not draw attention as she stepped to the bar, almost staring past the 'tend, "Could you direct me to an appropriate place to buy some clothing? It seems my luggage has not arrived." A lie. She hated lying. Survival. She hated just surviving. Her mind wandered while she spoke then listened, not daring to look anyone in the eye.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The smell of fried eggs, black pepper and dark coffee filled the air, accompanied by a whiff of tobacco and morning breeze. While Felecia had been closeted in her room, life in the Dortman had been carrying on regardless, as it ever did. Patrons generally came to the inn with company or without, but either way without the intention of seeking it, and so Felecia was paid little mind as she made her way to the bar.

The bartender, a broad, bearded man, didn't see past the girl's lie... but he did notice the signs of crying around her eyes. "Certainly, signorina," he responded warmly. "Master Antigue's, in Highton, is where most people go for fittings. They cater for the rich and middle levels of society alike. Although, if you're interested in something a little more exotic, a new shop called Audrey's has recently opened up, from the Citadel itself, they say." It was common knowledge that, since the end of the War, trade with the Empire of Seven Isles across the ocean and its rocky capital had increased. "It's just down Parade Street, nearly out into the West End."

The big man hesitated, then awkwardly added "Is that all you need, signorina? Can I help you with anything else?" He stood there anxiously, folding his hairy hands into one another and glancing at Felecia with concern.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia nodded as he spoke and made what little eye contact might be necessary for her not to be considered rude and her smile was weak as she turned her head slightly toward the door. "Oh, well now those both sound interesting," and she turned a smile to him, "You've been very helpful, thank you. Oh, I do wonder.." and she paused a moment then lowered her voice a touch, "Are there public baths here or is it possible to have one drawn in my room, haul up a tub or some such? I realized it would likely cost extra...but that is of no consequence.." Felecia waited, eyes lifting to the bartender, "If it isn't possible, I understand, of course, I am just unsure of how things work here."
Morg

Post by Morg »

It wasn't the strangest request the bartender had heard. "We can do that for you, although an extra circlet will have to be added to your bill," he replied, naming what was an exorbitant price for the service being offered. Then again, water was an expensive commodity in World's Mouth - clean water at least. There were no public baths in the city, for the simple reason that such a facility would cost a fortune to run, and only the wealthy would be able to use it on a regular basis. The fact was that every source of water within a tide's ride of the Mouth was almost irretrievably polluted by industrial discharge, and even that which fell from the sky as rain had an unpleasant, acidic tang to it due to the fumes that belched out of the factories of the East End night and day. What water there was had to be purified thoroughly before use. Fortunately, the Flying Dortman was used to serving a variety of clients with a variety of wishes and enough coin in their purses to make those wishes a reality. "We can have it ready for you in a few burns."

The buff-coated man was as good as his word. A few burns later, a comfortable copper bathtub was carried down the corridor to Felecia's room, placed at the foot of the bed and filled with bitingly hot, clean water. The matronly woman who brought it, who was attired similarly to the bartender in a frilly, colourful uniform, also carried in a small chest of strongly scented soaps and oils. Curtseying to Felecia, and with a quiet "Let me know if you need anything else, signorina," she bustled out of the room.
Last edited by Morg on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

For the first time in a while, Felecia's face broke into an honest smile. A bath. A hot bath. Inwardly she flinched at the price then nodded her head, "Thank you, you've been most helpful," she replied and turned, making her way back up to her room.

Felecia's eyes quite nearly sparkled to see the tub and she followed the whirls of steam as it rose off the water's surface like a child watching fireflies for the first time. Her fingers slid over the soaps with a sort of reverence and she leaned down to smell them, all at once, the combination of scents making her almost giggle with anticipation.

It never occurred to her to behave any way than she ever had at Panicci's so once the tub was full she began to undress. Whether the attendant stayed or left wasn't really on the girl's mind as she slipped from her frilly pink daygown and took down her hair. She stood naked, arms over head, working the pins out that held a few curling tendrils in place, "I think the lavender soap.." she murmured, assuming the woman was still there, if she'd gone, Felecia hadn't noticed yet. Felecia picked up a pitcher and sunk it into the tub to fill it with clean water and set it aside then turned and ran her fingers along the copper edge, which was as hot as the contents which she also touched, running her hand down into the bath water.

"So hot.." she murmured, drawing back a pink hand, admiring the steam again, this time watching rise off her own skin. Hot is clean. Clean of everything. She flinched when her foot hit the water and she had to make herself step in, sucking in a breath as she stood there for a moment, aclimating to the heat. With hands braced on the sides she eased downward, revelling in the intense burn against her delicate skin as her body disappeared beneath the water's surface. She nearly yelped to lean to the back of the tub then with a sigh she relaxed, her long hair hanging down the outside of the tub, the girl emersed to the chin, eyes closed. "Just...put the soap where I can reach it.." she said quietly, still unaware of most everything around her for the moment, her mind quite focused on the heat that had engulfed her aching body letting it be a salve for her aching heart as well, "I..will be fine on my own..."
Morg

Post by Morg »

As ever, a hot bath proved to be just the ticket for relaxation. The upstairs rooms at the Dortman were well insulated from the sound of the taproom, and it was perfectly possible to filter out all distraction entirely and sink into a world of soapy water and thoughts.

When Felecia returned to awareness of her surroundings, she would notice that the atmosphere in the room had subtly changed. Not so much light was streaming in through the room's large window now, because a shadow had fallen across it. More, the object casting the shadow could clearly be seen... and it was a boy, balanced on the windowsill and regarding the interior of the room with a patient air. He appeared no more than twelve or fourteen yahren old, with neatly styled hair and a clean, fresh face. Upon being noticed by Felecia, he delivered a polished smile but did not move from his perch.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia sat up some and opened her eyes, letting them adjust and her head tilted as she squinted toward the window. She blinked and made a sort of squealing sound as the figure became clear then sank quickly to cover herself, having bared her chest nearly to the nipples for a moment. Water sloshed as she turned one way then the next, searching for something to grab and cover herself, afraid for a moment before the age of the boy became clearer and she huffed. She clutched her hands to her front and then furrowed her brow, "You there...git...go...shoo.." she yelped. "Don't make me call for help...go on now.." and she motioned with one hand, flicking water as it shook. Her brows furrowed as she waited, her pink skin even pinker at the cheek with a healthy blush, "They might have heard me scream..you'd better run!"
Morg

Post by Morg »

The boy's fresh face took on a mournful cast, and he nudged a panel of the window open, sending a shock of colder air into the steam-filled room. "No one will have heard you," he replied through the narrow gap he'd created. His voice was polite but rapid and clipped. "These rooms were built for discretion." As he spoke, he kept his eyes trained respectfully away from her naked flesh. "I apologise for this intrusion, but I had to make absolutely sure you were alone. Will you not at least hear what I have to say? I think it will interest you."

There was no urgency in his tone, but it could be inferred from the words he spoke. Although he tried to disguise it, he did glance to his right and to his left to check the alley outside, the gentle movements of his head not causing him to shift from his precarious perch on the window ledge.

He was neatly attired, too, with a tabard of some kind over simple, functional linens. In appearance he was a far cry from the average Mouthie street urchin, the sort Madam Panicci employed to deliver simple messages... but he was still sitting outside Felecia's window while she bathed.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia sat perplexed for a moment then when the cool air rushed in she inhaled, it felt oddly good to breath it in and feel it tickle her heated skin. Her brows furrowed deeper, not fully at the boy but at her own inclination to hear him out. What was she crazy? A stranger, a boy, a young boy, is peeping in her window and he wants to "talk" and she thinks she should listen? She noticed that he didn't oggle her and that only served to confuse her more then when he looked to the alley she sighed, "Just.." and she leaned as far as she could, dragging the coverlet from the bed. Felecia glanced his direction and waited a moment for him to either look away or close his eyes and if he chose to stare, so be it, she'd be fast.

In a flash she rose and pulled the coverlet in front of herself, keeping the tail of it on the outside of the tub. Water sloshed yet more and she grumbled to leave the warmth of the bath, stepping out and wrapping herself as decently as possible. "Get off that ledge before you fall.." and she motioned him inside, "I'll listen, though I'm not at all sure why." She eyed him a moment then tilted her head, "If this is a joke of some sort..."
Morg

Post by Morg »

The sudden movement caused the boy's composure to break for the first time as he followed her with his eyes. Appreciation spread momentarily onto his face as he caught a glimpse of her full form, but then it was gone again, replaced by a businesslike briskness that was almost unnatural in one as young as he appeared to be.

"No joke, signorina," he assured her, deftly manoeuvring his slender form through the window and into the room. "This is deadly serious."

Once within, he stood ramrod straight, like a meerkat, as he delivered what he had to say. "You have been approached by a powerful man called Alvero," he stated in a tone that brooked no argument. It wasn't a question. "My employer wishes to make you a counter-offer. Information is all he's looking for. I'm afraid he won't permit me to reveal his name." He shrugged perfunctorily. "But you can rest assured that he can match any offer this Alvero can make. He, too, is a powerful man. One of the most powerful."

All this time his eyes had been fixed diligently on Felecia's. Now he looked briefly away and glanced around the room before continuing. "My job is to find out whether you're interested, signorina, although I have a few more details to impart should you seem amenable to further discussion."
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia stood there for a moment and then sat down on the edge of the bed, swaddled in the coverlet, exhaling a frustrated sigh. "You realize you've interupted a very expensive bath.." she retorted, more as means of stalling to think than anything else. "You claim to know an awful lot.. " then she scooted back and took a deep breath, using the moment to study the boy, a boy. A very young boy, self assured, trained..but so young. She sighed a little and looked up at him, "Explain your offer and your details.. I will hear it, since you're offering." She paused a moment and lidded her eyes, inhaling at the cool air that was filtering into the room, "What is your name?" she asked as an aside.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Me?" The boy seemed a little surprised to be asked about himself. "I am Gennaro Laperla. And, as a token of good faith, I will not ask for your name in return, for I do not need to know it." He smiled courteously and took a few steps forward before elaborating on the details of his offer. Closer to, and with the benefit of having heard more of his voice, it was evident that he was at least a few yahren older than he appeared.

"Alvero - the man who you were with - is a rising star in this city. That much I am sure that you know. But he may be only a transitory light in the darkness. At this stage of his career, he may be destined for great things, or he may fall down to earth in a shower of sparks. In any case, he cannot provide the safety and security that my employer could give you. Should he fall, you may find yourself returned to where you started your career in World's Mouth. But with my employer as your protector, you need want for nothing for the rest of your days. And he assures me that once you have performed the duties he asks of you, you will never need to be beholden to him if you would rather not."

"His request," the boy Laperla continued, "is a simple one. He merely wishes you to become what we in the business call a double agent. You would continue to do as Alvero requested, but you would inform my employer of all that he told you or asked of you, and, where necessary, you would be given alternative instructions. In return... you can have anything you want." He spread his hands. "Anything."
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia nodded to the young man's answer, "Gennaro Laperla," then she snaked one arm out from under the coverlet and then the other, securing it around herself under her arms. She listened to him and all the while her sense of dread grew. Whether by timing or simple luck or fate, Felecia had given Nico her word. Her heart felt heavy and her shoulders seemed to droop a bit with the weight of her life. She gazed up at Gennaro for a moment then furrowed her brow and stared down at her clasped hands.

With a resigned sigh she shook her head, "Every turn I take leads me further down a slippery slope.." she murmured mostly to herself. Her head lifted and she looked at the boy again, "Have you sold your soul to the highest bidder?" she asked as if it was the most normal thing in the world and her mind wandered a bit. Was there any part of her left? She wasn't even Felecia anymore, she was Auraelia..D'angelo. Wasn't there some small part of her that hadn't been taken..robbed..sold? Everyone promised her things for a loyalty that could be bought, they knew it. Give her anything she wants? Not hardly. No one could give her that.

"My word is about all I have left that is mine to give. I gave it once already, a matter of honor you see. I do have some. No one would know it, I realize. I have no idea on whose side I have cast my lot, I have no idea what star may rise or fall or burst into flames with me standing by, but I know that I did make an agreement. One I will keep. Should it be wrong or dangerous or deadly, well, no one will care either way." She looked away from Gennaro and held her head up, "But I will know that some part of me survived it all."

She nodded and stood, holding the bedlinens to herself, "Please accept my decline and relay it respectfully to whom you serve." Felecia held her head up at that and inhaled, "Rest assured, if it means my death to not comply, no one will care, just make it quick," and she turned her back, letting the coverlet slink to the floor, "Now if you'll excuse me I'd like to wash my hair."
Last edited by Felecia Grennarth on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Laperla merely gave Felecia a sad look when she asked him whether he had sold his soul, but he did not respond until she had finished. He did not avert his eyes this time when she dropped the coverlet, instead simply continuing to regard her with the same frank expression.

"Not your death, signorina," he assured her. "I am no one's weapon, and my employer is not that uncivilised, in any case. But it is your loss. I would suggest, however, that you should not expect Niccolo Alvero to place as much weight on his word, and his honour, as you place on yours. Good day, signorina." He bowed stiffly, and made to leave.

When he was at the window, after glancing again to the left and to the right, he turned briefly to Felecia one last time. "Should you change your mind, wear a green ribbon in your hair." With that, Gennaro Laperla was gone, leaving the window to swing slowly closed on its hinge.

Much of the steam in the room had dispersed, but the bath was still pleasantly warm.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia stood there naked, with her back to the boy and she wondered how it would feel if he WAS supposed to kill her. She didn't think he was the type to drag it out so likely a quick slice, that was comforting. When he said he wasn't going to kill her she sighed a little bit, it was almost a relief to think of being away from the whole nasty business of her life.

Honor. She felt dirty even using the word after all she'd done and agreed to do. She stood motionless at his goodbye until that last bit about the ribbon and her head turned, leading the rest of her body into a sort of twisted profile, her lost expression unhidden as she nodded to the retreating boy. Felecia stepped to the window and stared out into the night, completely uncaring that her fair form was silhouetted perfectly in the window as she inhaled the cool, outside air. A slender arm extended and she grasped the window to pull it closed, sighing as she looked to the street below, then through the glass as the panes clicked together.

Soon her hair was washed and she redressed, padding back down the hall and to the front door. It felt odd to be leaving unescorted and asking no one's permission, then it felt even worse to realize how accustomed to asking that she'd become. She reached the door and paused, glancing back, then she rattled the coin and nodded, "I do believe I like blue."

OOC: Continuing in a new thread, not sure how to do that linking thing.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Like this, signorina?

Fin and locked for skilling! I will be with your new thread shortly. :))
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”