UoM: Turn the Page (Chyril 22nd, Early TT) (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

UoM: Turn the Page (Chyril 22nd, Early TT) (Open)

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Aerin had scooped her hair up once more into a more controlled hairstle, the errant wisps which curled out above her ears still dancing in the breeze as she passed the main threshold leading onto the University grounds, her eyes alert and cautious as she moved, observing both passersby and architecture as she moved. It was wholly unlike what she had expected, both in experience and design - having never been to a university of any kind before, certainly not one of this grandeur - and in her mind's eye, she had expected a single building...a cathedral of sorts...but nothing like this.

The University was overwhelming for the former farm girl and she paused for a moment, uncertainty gnawing at the back of her mind with the gnarled rotten teeth of a diseased leper, little by little leaving little bits of itself buried in her subconscious.

~ I am not ready for this... I was never rea--- ~ Aerin thought to herself, a more commanding inner voice cutting her off before she could finish the plea.

~ You were born ready, girl... Think about it. You can do this...~ she chided herself ~Even as you drank your coffee this Morning Tide, you were divining its secrets. The tastes...the aromas...the sensations that it gave you. All guesses and theory, of course, but you still made the brew run your gauntlet... ~

~ No, I... I remember the kitchen magick that I tried when teaching myself at his command... All failures, every one... Just like me... ~ Doubt had crept into her mind once more and Aerin's left foot rose to a point where only the toe touched the ground and moved backwards as if to turn and leave.

~ No!~ She silently told herself. The only failure here, girl, is the failure to try...to learn...to become that which I know in my heart that I can be. Listen to yourself for once...your voices of reason...of logic... ~ Aerin's eyes narrowed momentarily as she nodded to herself in agreement. ~ My father is not here commanding me to go through with this plan...I am...so do it already. ~

~ 'The journey of a thousand markers...' ~ 'timid' Aerin began as she mustered up a reserve of inner strength and a mask of calm assuredness. ~ '...begins with a single step...' ~

"Excuse me..." Aerin would then ask the next passerby who happened to cross her path. "Where would I go to register to study alchemy?" Her voice, no matter how neophyte the question, was strong and self-assured, even if the woman behind it still wavered a little in her self-confidence.[hr]OOC: Edited for better character 'feel', if you happened to read the 'first draft' and wondered about the changes.[/hr]
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Fri May 25, 2007 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Alu was returning from her meeting with the Mender Abagail. The edges of her sari showed signs of mud and dirt, though she told herself it was only slight and barely noticeable. She was heading towards her brother's chambers to see if he was there. No doubt no that he was a professor Ashtallion would have little time to share or may not even be in his quarters, but she hated prolonged absences from him. Oh well, if he wasnt there she needed to go to Audreys for some retail therapy.

She crossed into the Entrance Hall. She felt something within her shift. And placed a hand on her seemingly ever growing stomach.

Restless are we. now why doesnt that surprise me, just like your father. She stopped before she started to think too much of Loraith. He had, after all, not thought too much of her. Unless it was beyond his control to make contact ... No, stop thinking about it Alu. He had his fun and left.

Alu exited the entrance hall out into the sunlit University grounds. She had gone but a few steps when she noticed a Ninadhiel girl with an elegant hairstyle looking alert and somewhat lost.

--
"Excuse me..." the woman asked "Where would I go to register to study alchemy?"
--

"Ah, your new? Namaste and welcome to the University!" Alu smiled and bowed her head "You can register for any school of magic or study at with the Registrar, he sits at his desk inside the hall" Alu pointed back into the Entrance hall.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Ah, your new? Namaste and welcome to the University! You can register for any school of magic or study at with the Registrar, he sits at his desk inside the hall"

Aerin followed Alu’s gesture and peered toward the hall, taking note of the Registrar’s name. “Mmm…” Aerin hummed with a nod, turning her face and smile back toward the other woman, a quick glance downward causing one eyebrow to race upward. “Thank you…” Aerin replied after a moment, her right hand coming to rest on her own stomach sympathetically. “Pardon me for asking…”, Aerin began slowly, “But is magick safe to do…like that?” It was one of her earliest questions from when she had studied at home, her curious mind almost morbidly intrigued about the effects of magick upon the unborn. It was not as if she wished harm on anyone, but Aerin had always imagined children born with horrific deformities all because ‘momma had to twist the Aether’ during pregnancy and could not stop herself from imagining Alu’s screams of pain during delivery turning into shrieks of terror as she gazed down upon the twisted visage that was her child.

The redhead, irregardless of the things going through her mind at that moment, kept her expression clear and calm as she awaited a reply, one small part of her mind quietly filing away the term ‘namaste’ for a lookup on a later date. If she got the job at Simple Pleasures, like she wanted, learning to say simple greetings in a variety of languages – even if she did not learn more than that – might make normally non-tipping customers feel generous based on the small bit of extra effort that a few words in their native tongues would show.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

The flame haired woman's question caught Alu with a slight degree of surprise, though she kept her smile. How inquisitive this one was, most other people she met would simply smile and nod or enquire if she knew if it was going to be a boy or a girl. But nobody had ever asked her about whether it was safe for a Sorceress to give birth. The woman gave a physical gesture, touching her own stomach in a show of what Alu thought was empathy

"Fair question. My mother was a sorceress herself and gave birth to twins, of which I am part. Twins themselves are strange for such a race that breeds slowly as the Adhiel do ... though to the Adhiel twins are seen as lucky rather than abnormal.

Alustariel brushed her silvery hair behind her sharp angled ear and pulled her cloak closer around her.

"I guess I shall have to be wary, the Aether is indeed unpredictable"

The thought had crossed her mind already, it was one of the governing factors for why she had asked Alexu Auros to stop her Battle Mage training until after the birth. She wanted to change topic, the word 'safe' instinctively made her worry for her unborn child, and she had been told that too much worry and stress could do more harm than good during pregnancy.

"Your locks, blood red, how beautiful, another quality Adhiel prize greatly. Forgive my tardiness in introductions, I am the Lady Alustariel Alurl, but I detest pomp, so please, call me Alu"

The Silver haired Lady Alurl clasped her hands around her stomach and her smile remained and she bowed her head again to the Ninadhiel woman

"And by what name may I call you?"

OOC: Sorry for the late reply :)
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The usual registrar was out today. Asshole. There were no doubts in Silvia's mind that his sudden, acute case of gout had everything to do with his sudden love of port wine, but not in the way he would have held everyone to believe. While Silvia simply knew that port wine caused gout...she also knew that it caused magnificent hang-overs in undeserving, decadent old men...and like gout, it was the Mother's Wrath for those that enjoyed some pleasures entirely too much.

Be that as it may, Silvia was now stuck tending to the admissions desk. Why admissions had a simple desk was beyond her...but then, seldom were those who entered the Campus with any clear certainty of how they would remain. Indeed, most visitors ended up in one of the many offices nearby, where they would beg, plead, declare, or weep about how they should be the exception to the financial arrangements required to remain at the University of Magic. And of course, they would be wrong...and then sent packing. Curiously, those that truly were the exception...never really needed an admissions desk to tell them that.

Reaching up to pat down her purple hair (she had chosen a light, ash-tinted purple today, one that complimented her patterned pinafore), she settled behind her desk and scanned the title of the book she had borrowed to pass the time. The Journeys of Meriklar, Volume 1. It was not her usual reading...no doubt Meriklar was a slacking, foppish bastard...but rumor has it he wrote well. Not fourteen words later she grew bored and glanced up over her spectacles to peer out inquisitively at the people walking by. Lazy, she declared, pleased that she did indeed appear to be over ninety yahren in age. After all, venerable, old ladies were excused if they chose to fall asleep at their post.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Fair question. My mother was a sorceress herself and gave birth to twins, of which I am part. Twins themselves are strange for such a race that breeds slowly as the Adhiel do ... though to the Adhiel twins are seen as lucky rather than abnormal. I guess I shall have to be wary, the Aether is indeed unpredictable"

Aerin could almost sense the unease at which her question had put Alu, her sadistic side smirking the same way it had when she had watched Rat torture people with mere threats of what he could and would do to them. This, however, was different, for she had no conscious desire to bring harm or undue stress to the woman, so Aerin fought hard against the smile which threatened to cross her lips despite the gravity of the topic. That was, at least, until Alu’s complement came.

"Your locks, blood red, how beautiful, another quality Adhiel prize greatly.”

Aerin blushed at the remark, and for good reason. As she was about to state the cause of the reddening, Alu continued.

”Forgive my tardiness in introductions, I am the Lady Alustariel Alurl, but I detest pomp, so please, call me Alu"

Aerin remained quiet, allowing the woman her formality.

"And by what name may I call you?"

Aerin nodded her head in reply and allowed the smile to grow a bit as it was no longer fueled by dark fires. “My name is Aerin Seleratus. Perhaps ‘Lady Seleratus’ one day, but not in this moment. You may call me Aerin, if you wish.” Aerin brushed a rogue lock behind her own rounded ear as well, her fingers lingering for a moment on the definitive curve of the fleshy ‘clamshell’. “The difference between worlds is amazing to me. Where I am from, my ‘beautiful’ red locks are simply ordinary – differing little from the many others who bare the same shades, while fabulous tresses such as yours…” Aerin sighed with warm cues of minor jealousy, “…are the novelty which we hold in high esteem.” Aerin paused for a moment and gave a small chuckle. “I also admire your ears…” she began again, finally remembering to let go of her own upon hearing the term uttered from her own lips. “I ashamedly admit that I have seen little of Tazlure outside of my birthplace of Murrellbuck and Ada…Adhiel – is it? – are also rare in those parts, at least to my knowledge.” A fresh blush appeared at the thought of offending the woman with her naivety. “I am sorry…” she blurted suddenly. “Most of this is just all so new to me – please forgive my farm girl manners…”

With an exasperated sigh, Aerin looked back toward the registrar’s location momentarily before returning her gaze and attention back to Alu.

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

“My name is Aerin Seleratus. Perhaps ‘Lady Seleratus’ one day, but not in this moment.

It was a lovely name, but when Aerin said 'perhaps Lady Selaratus' Alu groaned inwardly. She did not doubt that this girl could achieve a title - it had landed on Alu without any prior notification- But Alu had wielded her title clumsily like a pretentious noble, and she feared Aerin may have been offended. She had not used the title much since returning from Kislovan, perhaps she should leave it to more formal occasions and not use it when greeting a new face. A learning curb, she assured herself.

She did not fail to notice the girl's blush. A sign of modesty perhaps? Alu remarked how strange it was that even though she had grown up in the mixed-race society of the Citadel, the differences between humans and Adhiel never ceased to amaze her. The flattery was returned as Aerin commented on her ears and silvery hair.

“I also admire your ears…”

"Thankyou Aerin. Why it was only a few months back in Kislovan that the humans there would skin me alive for my tell-tale features. I'm glad you like them instead"

Alu's smile broadened as a thought occured to her.

"What a beautiful thing, that either race can admire the other for qualities they themselves rarely posess"

“Most of this is just all so new to me – please forgive my farm girl manners…”

"Hah! As if I would care for manners!" Alu laughed "Well, I am a resident here at the University, you should also take quarters here as well if you are to study, and so should you need any help please don't hesitate to call upon me"

Alu followed Aerin's glance to the Silvia, the stand in registrar

"Ah yes, thats the person you ought to see to enroll here"

OOC: I'm can step out for a while if you want to pursue your enrollment Aerin. :D It's up to you. Alu and Aerin will meet again if your happy for that to happen, this farm girl is very intriguing.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Thankyou Aerin. Why it was only a few months back in Kislovan that the humans there would skin me alive for my tell-tale features. I'm glad you like them instead. What a beautiful thing, that either race can admire the other for qualities they themselves rarely posess"

Aerin nodded in agreement with the other woman’s words as she spoke Aerin’s thoughts aloud. It was easy, she assumed, to hate based on race – as a private rule, she hated her father and his ilk based not on individual acts, but their religious choice to follow Dominicus. Race, however, was a moot point with Aerin as she studied Alu’s lines as the woman spoke, genuinely in awe at the subtle differences that race provided.

"Hah! As if I would care for manners!"

The woman’s reply to Aerin’s apology made her feel both on edge for being presumptuous and at ease at the same time, thanks to the dismissal of formality.

“My father…” Aerin lied easily, not wanting to accredit the lesson to the streetwise thug who had given it to her, “…once told me ‘It is a far better error to address a commoner as a noble than to address a noble as a commoner.’ yes?” Aerin returned the laugh out of both relief and inner humor as she remembered Rat’s real wording of ‘…better error to call a whore a Lady than a Lady a whore…’

"Well, I am a resident here at the University, you should also take quarters here as well if you are to study, and so should you need any help please don't hesitate to call upon me. Ah yes, thats the person you ought to see to enroll here"

And there it was: the hint to wrap up the banter so that they could each go on about their tasks. Aerin nodded in reply and gave a warm smile. “I was advised to do so as well by the guard who interviewed me at the docks and, although I am currently seeking employment at Simple Pleasures, due to the cost of rent outside of these walls and the hours I will no doubt be spending within them to study, taking up residence here makes the most sense.” Aerin gave a small bow to Alu in gratitude and flashed another smile. “I would hope that we could have more reasons to call upon each other than just assistance…” Aerin paused for a moment, her own words and tone sinking into her ears as she realized, or at least thought that she did, that her appreciation for the pregnant Adhiel's beauty could have leant a certain air of innuendo to the words initially meant to imply basic friendship. Aerin's dreams, since leaving her home with Rat, had been slowly opening books of desires that Aerin had not known that she had possessed, and her almost borderline-fetishism toward both the Adhiel and half-Adheil women that she had run across now spoke to Aerin of deliciously strange dreams to come - and her wording threatened to blur the lines between Tether and Aether prematurely.

With a small cough of air at her possible faux pas, Aerin once more smiled and decided to drop the figurative shovel that she was holding lest she dig herself into further embarrassments. "But yes...” she recovered, "I suppose that I should get on with enrollment. It was indeed a pleasure to meet you, Alu and yes, I do look forward to meeting with you again..." Aerin was about to add '...perhaps over coffee...', but decided against it as she bowed once more and turned her body slightly toward the Registrar.

"Thank you so much for your help and congratulations on your child...or children, if that is the case."

With those words being spoken, Aerin would linger for a moment and, as ways were parted, would proceed to the Registrar's desk.

"Greetings... I am Aerin Seleratus, and I would like to enroll to study the magickal arts, please..."

OOC: Thanks... I think she's swallowed enough foot for one session. I would love to have them meet again soon, if only to watch Aerin squirm like this. Hehehe

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Oh Bother.

There were no doubts in Silvia's mind that this girl was another hopeful idiot from the Empire's most depressing countryside that came to the University lured by silly tales of battlemages or some such nonsense. Oh, there were plenty that held invitations to a college...and plenty that held grant...but those people typically knew who they were, and they seldom had need to speak to the registrar in the Main Hall. Still, one never knew when they might stumble across some wealthy heiress, the usual method of walk-in admission, and like any entity that maintained a staff, twenty-three towering spires, and a kitchen capable of feeding an army, the University always needed the money.

And so, like any good registrar, Silvia would be perfectly nice.

"Seleratus...Seleratus..." the old crone drew out a little scroll and sifted through it, her eyes fixed upon it's contents through the spectacles that gave her eyes to appear massive. "Seleratus. With an S? I don't see your name. Have you any prior appointment or arrangement, or is this your first visit?" asked the matriarch, glancing up from her scroll to peer at her new guest over the same spectacles and from beneath her purple-tinted, carefully-gathered hair.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Seleratus...Seleratus…Seleratus. With an S? I don't see your name. Have you any prior appointment or arrangement, or is this your first visit?"

Aerin forced herself to look the woman in the inflated eyes with a serious expression although the combination of the magnification along with the oddly-dyed hair kept making Aerin recall the amusing looks of the caricature puppets in a puppet show rather than a serious human being. Aerin’s smile remained a warm and friendly one, she hoped, rather than insulting as she answered.

Appointment? Arrangemeent? Aerin was nowhere nearly well-connected enough to have made any arrangments for herself other than this dumping of herself on the university's doorstep. Aerin was suprised that the woman could not discern that it was the redhead's first visit simply from the lilt in her voice and the smell of sea salt in her hair. “First visit, ma’am – did I need to make an appointment or arrangement first?” The vocal repeating of the word ‘arrangement’ made Aerin’s eyes flicker back to the other woman’s unique locks. “Your hair is quite lovely, by the way…magick?” she added, meeting those artificially-oversized eyes once more. The more Aerin looked, the more she wanted to giggle and the more that she wanted to giggle, the more she reminded herself that this woman – despite her appearance – was probably proficient in more magickal arts than Aerin could name and – even more likely – well aware of her appearance and prone to anger or resentment if someone mocked it with even a chuckle. ~ A trap, yes… or a test… ~ Aerin thought as the inside of her cheek became immediately intimate with both upper and lower molars in a firm, but gentle, bite.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Well...you needn't an appointment to enroll, dear, have no worry. I am Silvia, and I should be pleased to help you," lied the crone with perfect deceit, her open, honest, smiling face showing every sense that she was indeed pleased to help a new, prospective student. In truth, she was perfectly giddy at the thought of crushing this newcomer with her next phrase. "Of course, you would most likely choose to review the facilities closely before you commit to such an expensive endeavor. While many of the towers are inaccessible to visitors, I should be pleased to walk you around and show you what things I can, if you wish."

There they were. Expensive Endeavor. It was one word that saved the Towers from being overrun by every commoner and bumpkin from here to the Great Desert. In a sense, it was the last line of defense. Tuition. Not that tuition was expensive...but without it, every serf, laborer, slave, or bankrupt roque would have come yahren ago. After all, most of the citizens in the Empire had never even seen a genuine Crown before, much less eight of the coins.

And then there was the promised tour. Glancing around, Silvia tried to catch sight of the nearest student. One of the curious side advantages of tuition was that many students were left destitute after paying their fees...which left them to be very pliant to command if they chose to continue their pesky eating habit. Therefore, finding a student was not unlike finding instant slave labor, at least for a day...and Silvia was determined to do just this. She caught sight of Alustarial...and weighed her chances of catching up to the adhiel.

"Come, come...let us hurry..." she waved towards Aerin, motioning her to follow. "Perhaps we can round up a student to show you around? There is one...MISS! I say, MISS! YOU!" she belted towards Alustariel, not that she absolutely knew Alustariel to be a student...but she could figure on that one later. At least she had seen her face before somewhere. "First...come come!...while we walk, tell me what you know of the University of Magic? I will first hear of your impressions...and then I will tell you of our rich heritage here in the Citadel."
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Well...you needn't an appointment to enroll, dear, have no worry. I am Silvia, and I should be pleased to help you,"

While Aerin was relieved that the process might not be as complicated as she had thought, the woman’s next words had their intended effect of wiping the smirk straight off of the redhead’s face and placing it on the ground among the countless others which must have fallen before this same desk.

"Of course, you would most likely choose to review the facilities closely before you commit to such an expensive endeavor. While many of the towers are inaccessible to visitors, I should be pleased to walk you around and show you what things I can, if you wish."

Aerin felt a tad confused, unsure whether the University really wanted her patronage or if it was, indeed, for the truly devout. Aerin was a leaf in the wind, attending the University mainly because magick was a strong part of what she 'knew' - a small shred of familiarity although the skills and knowledge that she held were far below what most would consider 'marketable'. The woman was, in the end, forcing Aerin to flip her proverbial coin. To choose magick or not...to choose a path.

She had waited this long to begin study and, sure, an early start would get her back on the 'proper' path, but was it really what she wished to do? The Citadel had shown her already that there was a world out there that she had not even begun to experience. Was it really the wisest move to pigeonhole herself into some image of what her father thought she should be? Or herself, for that matter - was she really wanting to learn alchemy for some 'grand design' in her life or just...settling? Perhaps it would be best, financially and experience-wise, to wait on enrollment after all. Perhaps the strange-haired woman would give proper council on what she should do. "Actually...", Aerin began as the woman burst into motion to try to grab a guide.

"Come, come...let us hurry... Perhaps we can round up a student to show you around? There is one...MISS! I say, MISS! YOU!"

The redhead paused mid-thought and turned to follow, surprised at how quickly the older woman seemed to move. "If I may ask, before getting too far..." she tried to continue, noting the woman's fixation on Alu

"First...come come!...while we walk, tell me what you know of the University of Magic? I will first hear of your impressions...and then I will tell you of our rich heritage here in the Citadel."

My first impression is that you need to lose the taste for coffee... Aerin thought with sarcastic amusement as she continued to try to keep pace with the woman. It had been a long, hard day and she still had more planned for the remaining marks, but her legs were starting to taste the poisons of heavy exertion. "I have heard little more than street talk really... I know that my father had once suggested that I go, when I was old enough, but no-one has really spoken to me in detail about it." Aerin, if she were able, would have locked gazes with the woman at this point with an implied shrug. "...like how much it costs to attend, and such..." Aerin paused for a few deep breaths, gathering herself together after the small chase. "As for my impressions of the grounds themselves, they look like I might have imagined them to - I am sorry if that does not give you much to work with." she finished, giving her lower lip a slight tug with her teeth.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Oh, no, that's fine, dear," replied the old crone easily. Dammit! She got away! Casting around, Silvia considered this to possibly be a golden opportunity to get away from her desk for a time. There was always benefit in that...and she could go check out the kitchens and grab a spot of brandy. "Come, let's slip away here and I'll show you the grounds. As we do, I'll answer all your questions."

Leading Aerin out of the great hall, the old woman seemed to wither noticeably in the outdoors. Under proper sunlight, her hair seemed thin and whispy, failing to hide her scalp perfectly beneath, and her skin...mottled and blotched with decades of use...seemed to sag and sway uncomfortably with her every movement. By contrast, her movements were strangely energetic and lively...as if she literally bounced over the floors, out the main doors, and into the yard amid the numerous towers of the magical school.

"This school was founded by survivors of the Great War...most of whom were battlemagi. They chose this place to settle and continue their research and training despite the end of the war. That's what we teach here, hun," the old lady paused and peered over her curious spectacles to gaze up at Aerin...who was significantly taller than the hunched crone. "Are you interested in learning the ways of battle, my dear? Magic or no, it is...the curriculum we teach. Oh, things might have changed over the yahren...but we still produce battlemages, and after you've completed your training here, that's what you'll be."
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Oh, no, that's fine, dear, Come, let's slip away here and I'll show you the grounds. As we do, I'll answer all your questions."

Aerin watched the details about the woman, noting the difference between appearance and actions but - as with Claire - not making verbal note about it. Aerin's own father had been quick enough to publicly point out Aerin's shortcomings enough that it had almost been hammered into the redhead to do just the opposite in overcompensation.

"This school was founded by survivors of the Great War...most of whom were battlemagi. They chose this place to settle and continue their research and training despite the end of the war. That's what we teach here, hun, Are you interested in learning the ways of battle, my dear? Magic or no, it is...the curriculum we teach. Oh, things might have changed over the yahren...but we still produce battlemages, and after you've completed your training here, that's what you'll be."

'Most of whom...' Aerin took another look around before returning her gaze to meet Silvia's own. "Well...I... I have studied thusfar to be an alchemist, you see..." she started, wondering if this was another dead end for her journey through life. "And this is called 'the University of Magic' - not the 'University of Battle Magic'..." Aerin lowered one eyebrow while raising the other, deep in thought. "...and alchemy has never struck me as a 'battle' art, although I could be mistaken...I do know so little about it right now...just enough for a weak calling, but..."

That's right, girl... a weak calling... I wonder... A brief flash of daydream entered her mind momentarily, memories of the night that Rat had cast her out, but in her true memory only a dagger was used - in the daydream snippet, however, Aerin's bare finger traced a line of rupturing blisters across delicate porcelain flesh. The girl's scream in her memory snapped Aerin back to the present, her right hand still stirring as if gathering thoughts to complete the previous sentance.

"Actually... Perhaps I will find inspiration along the tour, no? Something which may call a little louder, perhaps?" Aerin could not help but smile at the residual vision of the daydream and the erotic rush it had given her. Battle mage... And father always told me 'you pick your own battles...' "What are the subjects taught here here? Do you have a list or tests or something?" Aerin would allow herself to be 'dragged' wherever Silvia wished to go next on the tour, merrily looking at the grounds and listening to whatever Silvia told her.[hr]OOC: Sorry for the delay. Umm... I had to jump into a burning orphanage to save a box of poor puppies born with speech impediments. They want me to tell you 'Voolf'. j/k - RL needed me.[/hr]

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Alchemy! You have an interest in Alchemy!" Silvia smiled but the uptwisting of her lips did little to improve the look of her face. I can dump her on that young fool Pralix and then take my time heading back to the front. "Well why didn't you say so in the first place? Come I'll point out some of the other towers as we head to the Tower of Alchemy. Come, come."

Silvia led Aerin across a grassy courtyard within the walls and towers of the University. Several students were taking advantage of the sunshine to study and practice outside. "That clustering of four towers over there is the Battle School proper." Silvia gestured. In front of them a group of four students were loosing arrows at a series of straw targets. The arrows were bursting into flame as the left the bow and steadily the targets were being reduced to ash.

"That large building over there hosts the student dormitory, the dining hall, and many of the smaller lecture rooms and study areas." She indicated a long low building, one of the few without a tower rising up into the sky. "Each one of these towers houses a different specialty of magic. Elementalism, Illusion, Mentalism, Divination, Chromatics, Wards, Summoning." Silvia's claw like hand pointed randomly at the towers all about them. "If you want to learn it, its about here somewhere. Ah here we are, the Tower of Alchemy."

The spire of Alchemy was one of the easiest to pick out from a distance. The onion dome atop it was plated in pure gold and studded with a variety of colored crystals that filtered light down into the tower for alchemical research. Silvai turned to face Aerin as they approached a wooden door in the wall of the tower.

"Now I really must get back to my post, dearie. Just wind your way up to the top room of the tower and ask for Professor Pralix. He'll answer your questions and see to your enrollment if you can meet all the requirements. Good luck." With that, Silvia patted her hand and made to depart.
Last edited by Tristam on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Alchemy! You have an interest in Alchemy! Well why didn't you say so in the first place? Come I'll point out some of the other towers as we head to the Tower of Alchemy. Come, come."

Aerin followed Silvia diligently across the courtyard, still slightly amazed at the other woman's spryness despite apparent age, Aerin's unconditioned body feeling more the elder as they moved along.

"That clustering of four towers over there is the Battle School proper. That large building over there hosts the student dormitory, the dining hall, and many of the smaller lecture rooms and study areas."

Aerin nodded in response, glad that the common facilities were not housed in one of the towers - she dreaded future embarrassments of being lost. I wonder how the living arrangements are - a large common bay? Shared rooms with a handful of others? Single roommate? A room to myself? The answer probably depends on price, I suppose, much like an inn... Silvia's words brought Aerin's attentions back to the taller structures.

"Each one of these towers houses a different specialty of magic. Elementalism, Illusion, Mentalism, Divination, Chromatics, Wards, Summoning. If you want to learn it, its about here somewhere. Ah here we are, the Tower of Alchemy."

Aerin admired both the domed tower and its existence as her previous misunderstandings with Silvia had lead the redhead to believe that no such art was taught at a battle school. Then again, in kitchen terms, Aerin knew enough alchemy to boil an egg - hardly how to prepare a seven course meal - so who was she to deem the seemingly strictly-lab-based art a 'non-battle magic'? Aerin silently chided herself for misjudging anything about the University or magic and smiled as Silvia concluded the tour at the Alchemy spire's front door.

"Now I really must get back to my post, dearie. Just wind your way up to the top room of the tower and ask for Professor Pralix. He'll answer your questions and see to your enrollment if you can meet all the requirements. Good luck."

Aerin gave a small bow of her head and a polite "Thank you for your help." before once more glancing upward as her hand came to rest upon the doorknob.

"Professor Pralix..." she repeated to herself as she cast one more smile to Silvia, opened the door, and stepped inside.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The door opened into a circular room with a low ceiling. A spiral staircase led upward towards the top of the tower. The air was a familiar tang of spice, sulfer, and metal that only alchemical studies can produce. Aerin passed by several doors as she wound her way up. About three turns of the tower up, there was a wooden door on a small landing. The bronze plaque on the door read: Professor Q. Pralix, Alchemy. A parchment scroll nailed to the door simply had an arrow on it pointing up.

Eventually Aerin came to a wide landing. A pair of inch thick stone doors stood open but ready to seal off this room at a moment's notice. The room beyond was filled with large table made of some black shiny stone. Atop each workbench were glass apparatus of baffling meaning, most filled with brightly colored fluids bubbling or steaming or condensing. One was clear aside from a crystalline looking dust all over its surface. If she looked at it right, it smouldered like embers only the light was green.

"No, more to the right! No, your right!" A man with salt and pepper hair dressed in a blue robe was directing two young men in brown robes. The men in brown were each standing atop a large folding ladder. Each of them held the edge of a mirror almost as large as they were. With it, they were trying to reflect the light from the windows above on to a lump of black rock sitting on one of the workbenches. Straining the boys shifted the mirror until the light once again fell onto the rock. The light was completely absorbed by the stone.

"Good lads, just keep it there for another mark." The older man turned from his assisstants and stopped in mid stride just blinking at this latest arrival into his world. He looked at her for a long moment.

"Have you?" He stopped for a moment still not quite believing his luck. "Have you an interest in alchemy, young lady?" He asked hope rising in his voice.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin was in a state akin to awe as she stood in the doorway of the professor’s laboratory, her wide eyes taking in the sights, smells, and sounds of the lab as alchemy practically blossomed before her, her miniature version in the kitchen back home paling (of course) in comparison to the plethora of vials which lay sprawled along the workbenches within the lab. The glowing green vial, naturally, held her interest as she ventured inward, her hand almost wanting to reach out and touch the fluted glass to see if the philter was warm or cool to the touch, but her common sense won out when she came to the immediate realization that anything she did or touched without permission could spell disaster not only for those in the room – physically – but also be a potential fist of doom for her academic career.

Cupping her hands before her, Aerin moved further inward, her eyes moving toward the workers and their task, a smile crossing her face as the sunbeam was finally able to strike its target. Aerin backpedaled subtly as the professor turned and made as if to walk straight through her before stopping himself to question her with what appeared to be hope in his voice.

"Have you? Have you an interest in alchemy, young lady?"

Aerin smiled warmly in reply. After the speed and bustle of Silvia, Aerin had expected Professor Pralix to be somewhat similar – busy with his tasks and annoyed but mindful of the human horsefly which was a confused but eager new student. His response was a pleasant surprise. “Why yes, sir I have…” Aerin replied, motioning toward the workbenches with a gentle showroom sweep of her hand. “How could one not? From a vial which can heal the smallest cut to a vial which can allow the drinker to spit into Death’s face, to a simple ray of sunshine which could turn mere sand to Crowns, all things are possible through the wonders of alchemy, yes?” Her examples ere wild speculation, of course, mostly drawn from the brief references in the ‘alchemy’ books that her father had given her log ago. If she had been privy to sights like those that the professor’s lab now offered, Aerin felt that she would have never fallen in with Rat and his ilk, instead appearing in the University as originally intended. As it was, before she had ascended the staircase, she had begun to doubt her interest in the arts and, in true alchemical form, the professor’s simple sunbeam had struck her lumped coal of doubt and transmuted it into a crude diamond waiting to be shaped by his hands.

Aerin’s smile grew as she gave a small bow and extended her hand toward him. “My name is Aerin Seleratus, professor, and I do, indeed, wish to study alchemy.”

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Oh I am delighted to hear it, dear child." Pralix smiled. "Aerin you say? Aerin?" He mused for a flicker then reached into his robe and withdrew a square of parchement. Pralix scanned down it with his finger. "Aerin. Aerin." His finger reached the end. "So you are a prospective student." His face fell a little. "Well no matter, no matter." He perked up a little. "First we must test your mettle. After all, the rest is a waste of all our time if you haven't the gift. Lead into gold is one thing but a non gifted into a wizard is another thing all together."

"First things first." Pralix decided. "Have you ever been evaluated for magical aptitude before now?" He asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Oh I am delighted to hear it, dear child. Aerin you say? Aerin? Aerin. Aerin. So you are a prospective student."

Unless Sylvia had passed the professor a note on that parchment via magick, Aerin knew damn well that her name would not be on any sort of list that he had. She wondered for a moment who or what that he thought she was, as his earlier excitement - as subdued as it was - seemed like that of someone who knew that she was a new student. She tried momentarily to read his new expression as she answered. "Yes, sir, I am. My father used to speak of sending me here and I have heard others speak of the University, but I am here of no-ones appointment but my own."

"Well no matter, no matter. First we must test your mettle. After all, the rest is a waste of all our time if you haven't the gift. Lead into gold is one thing but a non gifted into a wizard is another thing all together. First things first. Have you ever been evaluated for magical aptitude before now?"

Aerin shook her head, but smiled all the while. "Only by my father, professor, and he is no magick user himself, merely a farmer who believes 'You are going to study magick because I told you to do so girl...' and the occasional kiss of the back of his hand on my cheek was enough evaluation needed to determine my aptitude." Aerin had given her voice a bit of a gruff infliction during her father's words and remained smiling as she cupped her palms together and lifted them for the elder mage to inspect if he wished.

"My study materials on the farm were poor, but insightful enough to draw my interest and I feel, professor, that alchemy holds a calling for me. Test me if you will and I pray to whichever god may listen that my mettle meets with your approval." Aerin said with a determination in her voice. "I would like to think that I am a very apt pupil."

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Pralix smiled indulgently as Aerin related her tale. "Well, a father's confidence is a fine thing but the University requires more rigourously defined credentials. Specificly, there is one test you must pass. You must be able to sense magic. To see the energies of the Aether."

Professor Pralix started walking over to another area of the workshop and motioned for Aerin to follow. "The Aether overlays the world of the Tether that we walk in. Where that alcohol lamp burns you would see the energy of fire. Where the sun streams in through the windows would be the energy of light. This stone beneath our feet would be strong with earth energy. But on the Aether, you would not see fire or light or earth. In fact, I cannot tell you what you would see. Each mind sees the Aether differently." Pralix explained. "I see alchemical symbols for example. Patrick," Pralix gestured towards one of the men struggling with the mirror, "sees lines of force color coded to the different energies."

Professor Pralix went over to a pegboard where crystal lenses of many shapes and colors hung from metal chains. "To truly see the Aether requires strong mental concentration and a knowledge of self." Pralix searched through the pendants and finally selected a clear rectangular crystal on a bronze chain. "For this test however, I'll let you take a shortcut." Pralix handed the pendant to Aerin. "This is a powerful focusing lens. If you have even the slightest glimmer of magical talent, you should be able to see the Aether through this." He smiled at her encouragingly. "Take a moment to calm your mind. When your soul is still, look through the lens at the flame and tell me what you see."

OOC: I leave it to you to decide what metaphor Aerin uses to see the Aether. If you don't know exactly what I am asking, drop me a PM.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin took the glass as if it would shatter into a million pieces at her touch, her lower lip taking a good chewing as she listened to his instructions. It seemed simple enough - as long as she had the talent... Formerly wide eyes narrowed as she, at first, prepared to focus intently, the soft orbs relaxing in afterthought as she remembered the instruction to calm her mind and still her soul. I am not in a classroom surrounded by strangers, she told herself, I am in a nice warm bath and up to my nose in bubbles... Aerin focused on her self-delusion the same way she had always done in the past when trying to escape stress, closing her eyes and repeating the affirmation until she could almost feel the bubbles and water and could almost smell the bath oils.

She took one final calming breath and opened her eyes, peering through the glass as instructed. At first, she could still see the flame but, just as her eyes focused on it, the image in the lens shifted.

"I see...people...tiny people..." Aerin began, peering closer at the details and blinking just to make sure of what she saw. They were there alright, miniature moving creatures with red skin (although, just as the professor had eluded to, the skin tones of the ones making up the candle and tabletop differed from those in the flame) and featureless bodies. Aerin picked a pair of these minute creatures and noted only the obvious differences in build and breast separated the two bald 'dolls' into any sort of gender. In the process, Aerin could also see what they were doing, which prompted a raised eyebrow from the redhead as she scanned the mass of bodies once more. The miniature people were no 'paired off' by any means, but each and every one of them was definitely involved in the same act.

Aerin lowered both gaze and lens from the diminutive showing of mass erotica and raised her eyes once more to the flame before returning her gaze to the professor.

"They were...dancing...", she finished hoping that, at least for now, he would not press for more detail than that.[hr]OOC: Hope this is ok. Please let me know if she wouldn't see this much detail at her level, etc., :)
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Fabulous! Spellcasting is going to be so interesting for you. :twisted:

Pralix watched Aerin closely as she concentrated through the crystal. On the Aether she remained a dim life rune just as any other girl would. Then, suddenly, delightfully Aerin erupted into a bright jumble of runes. She was a woman open to the Aether.

Pralix was smiling wide wen she looked at him. "Oh well done. Dancing you say? Well you are not the first to see living beings. Moon up there claims he sees hopping frogs." He chuckled.

Pralix reached out and took the pendant back from her. Idly he began to twist the chain in his hands. "Well that is the good news Aerin." He began. "You have the gift and I am willing to sponser you for enrollment in the University." Pralix cleared his throat. "You will be required to sign our standard contract and the price for your lessons, including room and board, is 8 crowns per yahren." He admitted. Professor Pralix's eyes hoped that would not be a problem.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Oh well done. Dancing you say? Well you are not the first to see living beings. Moon up there claims he sees hopping frogs."

Aerin chuckled along with the professor, giving a small nod toward Moon, almost certain that his frogs were probably not hopping on each other every few moments. Aerin's attentions turned back toward Professor Pralix.

"Well that is the good news Aerin. You have the gift and I am willing to sponser you for enrollment in the University."

Aerin smiled widely at the news, but could feel the proverbial 'but...' hanging in the air as the professor cleared his throat. Luckily, Sylvia had already hinted at a hefty price for enrollment, thus preparing Aerin for the shock, and (luckier still) Claire had pretty much promised her the job which meant that she could offer up more than just near-empty pockets and pitiful looks.

"You will be required to sign our standard contract and the price for your lessons, including room and board, is 8 crowns per yahren."

Aerin fought back the urge to cough. She had been, for some reason, thinking more along the lines of six - wishful thinking most likely - but eight made her flinch a bit. Nevertheless, Aerin kept her smile and patted her coinpurse. "I have naught but two Crowns on me, Professor Pralix, but I am employed at Simple Pleasures and willing to take on secondary tasks if needed...if the eight Crowns need not be paid all at once, that is..." Aerin took a moment to glance back at the pendant as the professor fiddled with the chain. Even such a short glimpse into the Aether left her wanting more... To find out how the professor and his helpers worked with lines, frogs, and formulae to make them obey their commands. Watching her miniature people perform their hedonistic play was one thing - Aerin wanted to direct.

At first, Aerin felt the touch of the words 'I will do anything...anything...' crossing her lips as they had with Claire, but she bit them back feeling that, while Claire might not have, the professor would possibly take it as the desperate plea of a woman just ten paces from a whorehouse door and rescind his offer. This, however, did not mean that the silent offer was not visible in her eyes as she attempted to remain sounding calm and self-assured. "As for the contract, I am perfectly willing to sign, if you really do think that I have what it takes to succeed."

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Pralix sighed. "There was a time I would have been able to help, Aerin, but I am afraid the funds have dried up. Turning lead into gold is not nearly as lucrative as everyone thinks." He said regretfully. "The University requires payment of a semester at a time, 4 crowns." He explained. "But do not lose hope." He went on. "It is my understanding that interested persons are prepared to sponsor promising young wizards. I would enquire at the Temple of Pecunia." He suggested. "And if you need to convince anyone of the your likely success as a student here, refer them to me." Pralix offered.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”