The Funeral Pyre of Cap'n Willows[Hafne, Chyril 22nd mid ET]

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The Funeral Pyre of Cap'n Willows[Hafne, Chyril 22nd mid ET]

Post by Maeve »

Sunset was not far away. The days were already lengthening, but they were still far from their highpoint .. the longest day traditionally celebrated as Midsummer. Despite the fact it had been a reasonably warm day with a blue sky, there was a chill to the eveningair that was now creeping in as the shadows started covering the town of Hafne.

In the middle of the Fishmarket, that was now emptied of its stalls stood a great pyre of wood. Sage and rosemary were tucked in between the beams. Ironically most of the wood was salvaged from the old Hafne, left behind after the disastrous fire that swept away such a large part of the fishing town that was also the capital of Islay. With all the rebuilding that had gone on in past months this was what was left over from the demolishing of the ruins and now it served to pay tribute to a man who had given his life to protect the people of the countryside against the onslaught of wolves that had plagued them.

The body of Captain Willows had been balmed and he wore his dress uniform from the Islay brigade, with its touch of red tartan. His sword was on his side, his shield covering his body. He looked clean and peaceful, though it was a good thing that the shield covered such a large part of his body for it was rumored that most of it was missing.

The people had streamed into the marketplace, awaiting the Count. When he appeared, surrounded not just by the Islay brigade, but with golden plated soldiers with midnight blue cloaks and golden clasps that signaled the Sunfire brigade, no words needed to be spoken to convey that the not very tall, rounded man with the beard walking next to the Count was in effect the Duke himself, his face in a serious frown instead of the ready laugh that he was famous for. Not entirely unexpected, it was still a high honor for the man whose funeral pyre was about to be lit.

"People of Islay," count Johan von Bleib-Hier called, holding up a torch that flamed high and clear in the darkening air "We have gathered here today to pay our last respects to a man who saved many, but could not save himself. A man who gave his life for Islay, without even once forgetting where his roots lay, the clan of Mayfield. Let us all remember what unites us this eveningtide, not what divides us. Captain Willows will not have died in vain. The wolf plague will be controlled and our restless spirits will learn to get along."

He stepped forward and let the pyre. Immediately it shut up high in the air, the wood have been prepared with a good dose of Islay whiskey, something which made Erwin wince as he calculated how many bottles it would have taken and what they would have brought into the ledger. A backpiper picked up a lonely tune and everybody was silent as the flames licked at the body of the captain and soon obscured the scene of the burning body entirely with a blazing inferno, something which must have been the intent of whomever carefully prepared the pyre.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Despite not being on good terms with the Captain for a short while they knew each other, Gavin was still there. As always his armor had the same dull grey color no amount of polishing could chase away. Grim faced and solemn, the tall Dortman wore a wolf pelt upon his back, finding it quite appropriate considering the manner in which Captain died. The wolf from which the pelt came, Gavin slew himself, the crossbow which accomplished the deed, hanging upon his back comfortably. As flames shot up, their reflection danced in Gavin's pale eyes, his jaw clenching and unclenching nervously in anticipation of the meeting that was to take place later that evening. Duke and Milkhaire. Together. Arguing over Islay. And me in the middle. Not gonna be pretty. His gaze went towards the Highland mountains looming in the distance, barely noting their shape as flames soared high. Thank you, Milkhaire. For slaying the demoness. That should have been my duty.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

After the lone backpiper a curious spectacle started. A group of musicians broke out in a wild form of music, in which the core was a deep sounding drum, with light little thrills from a fiddle. A single dancer, wearing a headdress with antlers, his chest bared proceeded to dance around the pyre, in wild motions, representing the stag that was eventually caught and died. It celebrated the triumph of battle, of the hunt. It promised the onlookers that this was not the end but that the wolves would be hunted down.

The stag dance was an old tradition in Islay and it vibrated deeply in the souls of those who had come to say their goodbyes to the good captain honored so.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil listened to the Count and looked in amazement at the ceremony that was taking place. The way these people brought their farewells to the deceased captain was something he had never seen before. As the pyre burnt, the Guardsman saluted, out of respect for the Captain for the soldier he had been during his life.

In the meantime he closely looked for Adhiels as well as people who would know how to fight, for if his brother díd want to go after the Hunter, they'd need every ally they could get.

The sounds of the fiddles mixed with the heavy sound of the bodhrán made the hairs on his back stand up.

OOC: I gave the most probable name to the drum you described. It was one that was in use by the Irish and Scottish during the reign of the Celts. If you want more info, just ask.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin watched the ceremony, but his blue eyes did not truly see the dancer, nor did his ears hear the music truly. The flickering flames had his attention, the scent of smoke filling his nostrils, odd melancholy sinking into his soul. She burned like that too, and they called it a mistake. Yet this time...... Is your soul somewhere amidst that smoke? Drifting upwards, weaving about the people gathered? Are you watching us? How do you feel about.....dying? Another memory sprang up, the one about his own death upon that strange plain in the Aether. Did you feel fear near the end? Defiance? Anger? He sighed and turned away, before squaring his shoulders. Why was I allowed to come back?

He sought the Count and the man he guessed was the Duke, walking towards them silently and pausing a few steps away, saying nothing, waiting to be noticed or ignored. He did not want to interrupt the ceremony with words, merely making his presence known to Johann, showing that he had kept his word and was ready for the meeting later that evening. He was not even sure they would truly need him there, or what his role would be, but he has made a promise and he was going to keep it.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

She couldn't do it.
It was cowardly. It was wussie. It was bad. But she couldn't do it. The invitation stood and the girl had showed up. Yet instead of looking at the pyre and the rituals going on, she moved back into the small crowd as soon as she could, trying to block out the stench of burning.

Gavin's silhouette was clear, the wolf pelt defiantly over his shoulders. It was all too familiar; all too coincidental. Her stomach turned, her throat constricted. The man stood strong, determined. The youngster had to admire him for his guts. He did not look like he was dead by tree-pummeling. So maybe he did not really die.

Death.
Ugly word, ugly thing. If there was anything Syrawenn did not want to be confronted with, it was exactly that. There had been enough of it in dreams and waking life. There was no reason for the dreams and no way she had been able to prevent it from happening so far. It made her sick to her stomach to see the pyre and realize what it implied.

Another one down. And still no way of knowing whether this was anywhere near real or not. Would she still have time to warn him? Or was this it? Was this the real thing?

One more look at that bearded silhouette before she turned away, finding a safe spot to deposit her evening meal.

You blimmin wuss!
Last edited by Syrawenn on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The wolf silhouette of Gavin was hard to miss. The Count noticed him and softly pointed him out to Erwin, the Duke. They both nodded in his direction. He was one of several they had asked to attend the Clanmeeting, hoping to avert an all out rebellion in the region by inviting those that were well regarded by the people of Hafne and Islay. The Imperial Islay representative too was on her way.

After the Stag dance there was little left to do but to watch the last flames go up in the air. Slowly the crowds dispersed as the evening wore on, till finally the Count and the Duke both turned and left too, withdrawing with their entourage to ready themselves for the midnight meeting. Just a few people stayed around, including a young woman in her twenties, red flaming hair falling down her tartan dress, her face a mask as she was unable to look away from the pyre while it slowly turned to dust. The soldiers of the Islay brigade also stayed, absolutely still.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil gave his eyes a good look around for any notable people. Of course the man with the wolf hide surely wasn't invisible to him, then there were the Count and the Duke. That was about all, yet, there were the Brigade, loyal as ever to a fallen comrade, and the red haired Islay girl, guessing by her age, maybe a daughter of the Captain.

The Lieutenant, who was formally dressed for this occasion in his Emerald Guard armor with all possible decorations and even his bladed staff in his left hand, made a mental note to speak to the wolf-man later as he approached woman who was staring into the pyre.

"Hello miss." he said, continuing "If I may be so free to ask, are you a relative of the Captain?". Thran felt insecure being around her and didn't really know what to say, and that radiated from the young elf.
Last edited by Thrandil on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Some time had passed since Dray and Thran had returned to Hafne. The falcon that led them there had all but disappeared. In his heart, Draydis knew that the Mother had guided him here for some purpose. It was that reason that was yet not obvious. He knew with time though, She would reveal all. He would have to be patient and remain solid in his faith in Her.

In the meanwhile, he prepared for the funeral...

His armor was polished and worn securely in place. The black shiny leather reflecting the last of the light from the day and already picking up the hints of light from the funeral pyre. His short blades hung in their scabbards at his side and his bow was across his back. The tabard and symbols of his rank completed the uniform. He felt that his full uniform was appropriate to honor the fallen Captain.

It was an interesting scene for Draydis to see. Gavin was there wearing a wolf pelt...something that made Dray uncomfortable at best. The wolf was sacred to him...no matter what the animal had done. It was something that must be respected. Obviously there was something that had twisted the wolf to make it act as it had...

Draydis also saw Thrandil again. It was nice to see his brother there in similar Guard colors. Dray's uniform had been modified heavily so it was almost entirely black except for the trim and details which were a very deep green. It was a stark contrast to the bright emerald green of his uniform as it had been when Draydis had first joined the Guard.

He stood away from the rest for a while...just watching the ceremony. The dancer...the wolf pelt...it all reminded him of what Emerik had said about the Hunter. Without realizing it, Draydis had pulled his bow from his back and held it in one hand. There was something about the ceremony that made him feel as if the Hunter was close...

Perhaps it was just coincidence, but the Guardsman wanted to be prepared...just in case...

His face reflected the sudden concern. His solemn and dark expression became even more so. The eyes of the adhiel Commander scanned in all directions, as if expecting the Hunter to already be upon them.

After all, the falcon did lead him here...

If Thran spotted his face, his brother would immediately know there was something wrong.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The funeral was different things to different people. To Syrawenn it was a sight of horror. To Gavin a place to honor the dead and catch the eye of the Count. To Thrandil a place to meet a redheaded girl. For Dray.. for Dray it was the place of the Crone.

The Eternal Goddess was thick in the smoky air, the pyre scented heavily with herbs. Visions started to assail the adhiel of the dark path. Wolves and more wolves. The Hunt. Death and unnatural Death. A song that was out of tune. Shadowy figures just at the periphery of his vision.

Meanwhile the redhead turned up a proud chin towards Thrandil as if he was going to take offense "He was me lover, aye he was." Behind him he could hear another villager mutter "Tis not right how he died. What they are doin now ain't helpin. They are hunting down the wolves. The wolves ain' t the problem
Last edited by Maeve on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran felt insecure after the answer he got and quick added the words "He was an honourable man, milady. I hope that someday, the same will be said about me when I have brought the greatest sacrifice of all.".

After hearing the comment of the villager, and not being a man making friends all over an unknown town, he asked "What is this man speaking of, miss ... ? What more does he know about the situation than the Duke does? Is there rumour of some kind of 'leader' amongst the opposition in the civilian ranks?".

He was a patient man and would wait long for his answer, now and then glancing around to keep an eye on the situation at hand. As he saw the look at Dray's face, the grip on his staff tightened and one hand moved ever so slightly towards the hilt of his sword. What is it brother, that you feel and I don't? Is there anything you should've told me before coming here? Do you know if something is about to happen? he thought.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The Crone was present, that much was clear. ~Thank you, M'lady. I knew you were here with me. I seek you with all my heart, and wait for your command. I know not how to proceed to become closer to you, so I wait for your instruction and guidance. I will wait with patience and with faith.~

His silent prayer was uttered with closed eyes. Though he could not see, the weight of the air could be felt regardless. There was something going on here...something that a mere blade alone could not handle. The Hunter had been involved, it seemed. Emerik had been truthful in his words, it seemed. Emerik had indicated that the Hunter or the hunt had gone bad...that the wolves had gone bad as well. Draydis hoped that if the Hunter were stopped that the wolves would return to normal. Hurting a wolf unnecessarily was something that Dray did not want to do...

As his prayer finished, Draydis kept his eyes closed and attempted to focus his other senses on what was going on around them all. A path had begun to form in the adhiel's mind. He was being guided to something. Perhaps a test? Perhaps something else. Time would tell, and all Draydis could do was to listen.

His eyes eventually opened again, and he quickly scanned everything around the area. He hoped that the wolves would not bring their fight here. There were too many innocents. Though his heart had begun to turn hard, and his emotions were turning cold, Dray still cared somewhat for the people. Afterall, he was still a Guardsman. However, he was also beginning to embrace the true nature of the cycle of life...and sometimes death was a major part of that cycle. For him, he was becomming comfortable with his role in the aspect of death...

~Guide me M'lady. I sense the path. I accept my mission. I accept my place with you. Show me the way so I may give you my best.~

An idea then hit him. It would seem strange to those that would watch him, but Draydis had to attempt everything if he were to find the Hunter and stop the dark hunt. With his plan in mind, he walked straight for Gavin. A whisper was delivered to Gavin so the large man would not think Dray was completely out of his mind. "Gavin...this will sound strange, but I need to smell your cloak. There are scents in the air, and I need to know the smell of the wolves." He waited for permission before he attempted to smell the wolf pelt.

The adhiel commander knew his sense of smell was not anywhere as developed as that of any animal, but he was picking up different smells in the air, so perhaps he would be successful. It was worth an attempt...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The Duke's and Count's nod was answered, but the big man did not approach, knowing that they would send for him if they needed his assistance. He was not even sure if his presence would be to the Count's benefit or will be a hindrance given his history with Milkhaire and his men. He remained after they have left, standing silently and watching pondering another puzzle that he was not yet part of, but could easily become involved in. Wolves don't attack men unless they are truly desperate. And even when they do it is lonely travelers well away from civilization. Never armed and healthy men. The whole thing did not seem natural, but he had other worries and someone else would have to solve that mystery.

Someone like Draydis whose approach was greeted with a nod and a faint smile. "You too are alive. And not much seems strange to me these days." With that he unclasped the cloak and slid it along with the helmet stitched into it, handing it over to the adhiel warrior. "It is not from here. I hunted that wolf near King' Court in the West." He paused before adding. "It was just a wolf. Nothing else. I am not sure same can be said for whatever killed the Captain. Seems like the demon Milkhaire slew was not the only dark force at work here."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Cleaning her mouth out with some water Syrawenn stood up straight again, trying very hard to ignore the smells around her. The fire itself radiated old traditions and even older magics. As ever it was alluring and even attractive, had it not been for the very real corpse burning in the middle.

Ooooh stop thinking

The girl clasped her stomach and growled. So far no one had noticed and that was exactly how it was going to stay! It was bad enough feeling the fifth wheel on the wagon again, she was not going to get pity or disgust thown on top of that too!

Gavin was very far away in thought and very logically so. The youngster regarded him from a distance, seeing Dray step up. At least the bearded man reacted, something she could only see as positive. He wasn't as far away as he had been in that netherdamned place, but it certainly touched upon it.

And we all know how I got through to him back then. So why feel so stupid? Guessin it's all the fightin stuff. I ain't got no experience. Here's all these people who lived through horrible things, all these people who saw death around the corner and stomped it in the face. I know about Dray, I remember him. Dunno if he remembers me, but I know his stories. I know what Gavin went through. I got a pretty rough idea of what Amber experienced an that ain't pretty either. Gwayne...well he made it abundantly clear what he's seen! So, makes sense that they're finding each other. Makes pretty much sense. Man, I feel so....young.

Now that was a weird revelation if ever she had one. Suddenly she was very aware of the birthday that had passed during those stressful months and how it did very, very little to add to her credibility or usefulness. If anything it was going to be harder to prove herself to anyone. No way she was going to be some appendix to anyone!

Something of importance was being exchanged between the two men at the fire. The girl tried very hard to make anything out from the movement of their lips, but to no avail. She'd just have to get closer and Syra wasn't sure if she wanted to do that. Next to the nasty burning there was so much more playing here. The tension she felt because of the upcoming meet with the clans, the unresolved riddles on this isle and of course a lot of unresolved things between her and just about every other person around.

Yea yea yea, so start poking Gavin already about what he remembers. Poor guy made some choice based on something he ain't sure about an if it ain't what he dreamed about then he should go for Amber already.

Now that was quite enough to turn her stomach again. Whatever her age might be, her feelings convinced her that she was obviously old enough for some of the more interesting emotions in life.

Straightening her back Syrawenn stepped closer.
Another step.
Just one more.
She squinted her eyes, feeling the heat of the fire.
One more step.

Someone was talking to the other redhead. Something about lovers. It did not concern her.

Another step. She just had to see.
Flames wriggling.
Another step.

So hot!
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray nodded to his friend Gavin when he first spoke. "Aye...alive. Good to see you are as well." His words were friendly enough, but Dray's tone and expression was much colder and darker than what Gavin had last remembered. Something was certainly different about Dray. He was serious...calculated...

The wolf cloak was taken from Gavin by the Guardsman. Though it was not the wolf that was responsible for the death of the Captain, it was a wolf none the less, and the adhiel commander needed to know that smell. Dray closed his eyes and then inhaled deeply the smells of the cloak. He wanted to know the scent...to hopefully be able to pick it out from the other smells. It was a long shot, but anything might be able to help. He concentrated on the scent...allowing it to burn permanently into his memory.

For the time being, he ignored the fact that Gavin had killed a wolf. For now, it was more important that he could possibly use the pelt to help find the Hunter.

Ignored were all the others around him that likely were wondering why Draydis was smelling another man's cloak. It mattered not. The Hunter must be stopped, and this was hopefully going to help.

He eventually handed the cloack back to Gavin. "I could use your help. Thran and I and a few of the Emerald Guard are on a hunt. The Crone has shown me the path to end the remaining corruption in these lands. The Captain was one of its unfortunate and unnecessary victims, it seems."

He looked around at the surrounding land once again, testing the air with his nose. He hoped to pick up something different, but at the same time hoped that the funeral could complete without any disturbances.

"I hunt, my friend. The predator is my prey. Strange things are here with us today...for that, be on guard."

His words were emotionless riddles, and his voice was cold and lacking the friendliness it once had carried. Shadows crossed over and darkened the adhiel's face where a smile was once typically present.

At the last of his words, Dray turned towards the funeral pyre. With a bow and a sweep of his bow in front of him, Dray spoke quietly. "Captain, may the Mother Crone guide you to her arms and protection. Your murderers will be found, for that is my mission."

Without another word, Draydis turned and walked to the edge of where everybody was standing. His eyes, ears, and nose working together to attempt to find anything out of the ordinary. There were allies left behind him...and he hoped they would join him on the hunt. Each brought a unique talent. Each would be necessary.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Had they spent more time together before and had they had more time to talk now, perhaps Gavin would have noticed a change. As it were, the adhiel's words were taken at face value and he watched the other man sniff the cloak, not quite understanding what he would gain by that. "I am sorry, but I have matters to attend tonight. There is a meeting between the Clans and the Duke and I promised to be there. Seek me out tomorrow and we may talk about what it is you need." And then Draydis was gone, leaving Gavin to wonder at the man's sanity.

Despite being deep in thought and conversing with the adhiel, a movement at the corner of his eye, caught the big man's attention and thus Syrawenn was greeted with a smile during her approach. "Hey. Dray is alive too. Only acts a bit strange. He wanted to sniff my wolf pelt cloak. Not sure why."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn blinked out of the trance like state. "Huh? Yea? What? Ah...Dray...yea..." She swallowed, trying not to taste the fire. "Yea, I noticed him sniffin around. He's always been the huntin type. I guess he's choosin his animal helper kinda thingie. Ya know, like in the stories."

Like in the dreams.

"But since he ain't too upset over yer nice cloak. I guess it can't be all bad. What did he want anyway?"

Again her eyes were drawn to the fire. What would it be like to be dead? To be lyin there, maybe see yourself as a spirit like in that netherplace. To see your own body being consumed while others watched...or maybe there would be no one to watch at all.

The girl shook her head to get the images out of her mind. It would not do to ponder on such things right now! They had an important meeting to go to and she could not let her mind wander!

"How're you doin? You okay fer tonight?" She kept her voice strong, eyes surveying the bearded man for signs of emotion. Despite all the stupid mistakes she'd made in the past she wanted him to be okay and if she could somehow lend a hand to make it so, she wanted to be ready.
Last edited by Syrawenn on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Unlike Syrawenn Gavin did not spend too much time pondering what the smoke from the fire could carry upon it and thus was not troubled by its scent and taste. Thus he merely shrugged at her question and looked towards where Draydis has left. "He went hunting, though I think he knows exactly what he is hunting for. I think it is wolves that killed Captain Willows here that he is hunting for. Told him I was busy today but that he can come talk to me tomorrow and I'll see if I can help. Not sure I want to hunt those wolves, but I know a bit about it."

Slowly he edged away from the fire waiting for Syrawenn to come along, leaving the warm air around the fire behind, welcoming the cool evening breeze with a slightly raised gaze and a satisfied smile. "I'm fine. Not sure what I am supposed to do tonight, but I'll manage. I hope the Duke and Count would pause after the funeral to talk, but they left so soon." Then, his blue eyes turned to look at Syra and with a smile he added. "What about you? Gonna come along? You have known the Clans for a longer time than me. You're more of an expert than I am."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn nodded. "I'll be there. Not sure why ya thinkin I know them better. Just came in from a different angle. The kids an all that. Not me. Never lived with em. Ain't no expert in anything but pissin people off, you should know that."

She tried on a grin for size. The flickering flames made her shadow dance. It looked like multiple shadows were playing tag around them. It was weird. Surreal.

"Not sure what to expect either." She mused. "I know what I want, but I don't think they want it. Promised the Koreymen I'd warn them, an I did, but they didn't DO anything with it. That's pretty goddamn scary, that's what it is. An hey, I know anger. Anger is easy. Pushes other stuff to the side."

Hah, yea, nice analysin.

"So...unless they're gonna do some deep breathin an drinkin...I dunno if anything good is gonna come from it, sorry. Don't know the duke an all. Whatcha think, mister, you gonna be a diplomat or are we gonna kick some ass?"

Another grin as she poked the man. A part of her wanted to disappear into his arms right now, to squeeze all the anger and frustration out through her arms and into the death fire behind them. Yet this was not the time or the place. They needed to keep their mind on things at hand. There would be time for exploding later, the girl knew for sure. It had happened before, in dreams...it would happen again. She was not one to keep it inside for too long anyway.

I'll go run some laps beforehand. Should get rid of some of the edginess. Yeah. Friggin hell, need some time with this guy withOUT all the other people around it! But can't. Not yet. Stuff to do. Always stuff to do.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Oh, but I thought you were with them for a while? My bad. Still, last time it was I who messed up. Or rather it was I who was accused of messing up. Officially you did nothing wrong, so having you beside would make them a bit more friendly. Especially if those kids have been mentioning you." It was a slim hope at best, but he was not about to give up on an advantage. Besides, having someone whom you can trust at your side, even if he or she could not really help meant something. They would be there when you needed them, and Gavin had a feeling he would need all the help he needed that night. Him and Islay both.

Armor was useful in making you poke resistant, and thus Syrawenn's finger simply made a clanking noise when she tried to poke Gavin. He shrugged at the question and hummed while he pondered. "I am not sure what I am even supposed to do tonight. I'll try to talk some sense into them. Is that diplomacy? Not sure if ass-kicking would work, but if I see a chance that it might, I'll sure as Hell try." With a sigh he shrugged once more. "But, I ain't gonna let it get to me this time. IF they don't want to talk, fine. I'll just make them reconsider by making the alternatives less attractive. And if I have to actually kick someone butt to do it, well then I guess I better wear iron shod boots tonight."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn shook her head, then changed her mind halfway and shrugged. "Kinda was. Travelled with em. Not long I think. Not sure. Time does weird things these days. Besides, I always say the wrong things."

She grinned, pushing the man with her shoulder since poking was so very ineffective. "But who knows, maybe this time the right person will hear, eh?"

The girl started walking away from the funeral pyre, relief flooding in with the fresh air. "We'll see. Ain't our fight...okay, maybe a little...but if they insist on bashin heads, then they go bashin heads. I ain't some saint with selfsacrificial tendencies. I don't even know what that duke wants."

With a boot she shuffled through the earth while she walked. It was weird. Of course they knew that the clans wanted the interference out of their territory, but the real question was what both sides were gaining right now or stood to gain. And that was something she was never going to find out due to just about every aspect about her being very wrong for polite diplomatic conversations.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The shoulder did the trick, though Gavin did not move to much to the side, grinning at the playful aggression Syrawenn showed. "Are you sure you said the wrong things? Or is it that those who listened did not want to hear what you had to say? Truth can hurt sometimes. I have done my share of passing the pain that way in the past." With a sigh, Gavin moved away and towards a small copse of the trees close by, hoping to find a log of a nice stone where they could sit and converse until the time for the meeting between the Clans and the Duke came.

"And it is my fight kinda. I was born in Islay. And if they start fighting again, it'll be just like that time when Hafne burned. I don't want that to happen. So, if they want to bash heads then they better be ready to try bashing mine first. And I ain't gonna stand around and watch while they do." He shrugged and hummed for a flicker. "I think I know what both sides want and that is the problem. The Duke wants Islay. The Clans want Islay. And neither side is willing to share. And that's the problem. Being greedy. They won't be happy with a little, they want all. And I am not sure if I can convince them how wrong it is and how bad it will end. And it will end bad, unless someone stops them. And guess who that someone is?" Another sigh and then he fell silent, finding it hard to find a reason why he should fight for others when they did not want his help, but were quite actively trying to oppose him.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Seeing how the other pc's seem to have left, I'll continue here. If I am mistaken, I will gladly take it to a sidethread :)

ic
The grin made her smile. There was too little grinning off late. And then there was the comments the bearded man made that somehow stuck in her mind. How much did he remember? It was true that people did not want to hear truths if they were hurtful, the girl had found that out first hand. Yet there had to be ways to deal with that.

Syrawenn gratefully followed Gavin further away from the ghastly burning. The smell lingered. She wrinkled her nose.

"Heh...I keep fergetting yer an Islayer. Ya sure got the stubborn head for it, but I like to think you like to use the contents rather than the skull." The youngster remarked dryly, kicking up some dirt. "No, you ain't gonna stand around, but it's exactly what you said....they ain't thinking of the land, they's thinking of themselves. And that's bad. And I don't care if they get angry at me for saying it. And if that's the wrong thing to say then they can go sit on the pointy roof. An NO!"

She stopped Gavin. "You don't HAVE to be that someone! Certainly not alone! If they don't listen, then they don't listen. There ain't no smallprint in yer life that says ya have to bash hundreds of skulls to make em listen! There's only that nice clause that says you do what YOU can and wanna do. Dontcha worry. If they're gonna be weird tonight, I'll bloody well speak up an I won't be nice about it either. Tough nuts."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Heh is right. And I try to use the contents because it hurts less than when you use the skull." It was a good talk and kicking a few branches to the side, Gavin settled down upon a flat rock, sitting with a faint clinking of metal as armor adjusted around him. "You know what? I know I don't have to be that someone. Before the whole bit with the magickal stones and walking trees I did not know I did not have to do it. Now.... Well, whatever happened back there made me change a bit. Would say I am less generous now, but that ain't true. Only more picky with who gets my attention and help." He shrugged and looked up into the sky, gazing at the stars. "Kinda like giving aid to a man who does not want it. Or even worse wants it, but is too lazy to try and get what he wants so lets others do it for him. Not gonna help people like that anymore." Then turning to look at Syra he grinned. "Am I making any sense at all? Feel free to poke me if I start talking gibberish."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn watched the man sit down and contemplated sitting next to him. Deciding that that was not the best course of action right now she stayed in front of Gavin, kicking the ground with her toes.

She followed his look to the stars. It was weird to look at them from here after she'd had a little lesson in starsigns back then. It was even weirder to realize that those pinpricks of light might actually hold an entire world just like the one they were sitting on right now. The girl looked around, turning in a little circle with her head in her neck. So many stars. So many possible worlds. Suddenly her problems on this one world seemed very tiny and unimportant.

Syra swallowed and repied. "See, now that ain't fair." She grinned again. "Cause pokin ain't doin no good with that barrel yer wearin."

She slumped down on the ground, only then noticing the neat circle her kicking had drawn in the dirt. "See....this whole changin thing....I don't think it's bad." The girl rested her head on her hands while looking at Gavin. "It's just the way the world goes an if you stay in one place or you never change, then the world just goes right past ya. An this way it don't. You are changing cause you wanna cope. You wanna have a life. That's good. Not bad."

She shrugged. "Now I'm the one rantin. Anyways, yeah, I know what you mean. Don't help those that...that don't want the help."

I need your help.
Crap.
Not that scene again.
An now he'll prolly just walk away if I blow up. Cause then I don't wanna be helped, right?
Shuddup.

Drawing little doodles around the circle the grey-eyed girl frowned. "I'm pretty damn certain you'll find a way to do what you want to. Ya know...not be the sucker in the middle again but actually stand on yer own side an perhaps side with someone if they happen to agree. I ain't talkin mercenary stuff. Just talking life stuff, I guess. So yeah, you make a lot of sense."

Return to “Dort Archive”