PI - Seinor Entrance, (MT) Chryil 22nd

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

PI - Seinor Entrance, (MT) Chryil 22nd

Post by Guest »

Seinor was too new to truly be said to have such a thing as a sea port; however, such a thing barely existed on the shores of the newly founded town, several short timber jetties jutted stubbornly out into the surf, and a steep beach where small ships might navigate shorewards far enough to call themselves docked. Truly this was not a place designed for extensive trade - or more, the city had not yet been designed at all, in that way new cities are not. For now, it contained enough.

As they reached the shore, narrow ships would drop anchor before they beached and send out their cargo in smaller boats or, in the case of human cargo, often under their own steam, many a new arrival swimming to the sandy shore to arrive at his new home soaking wet. Here, a voyager might stagger towards the town itself - beyond the trees, curls of camp fire smoke danced on a light breeze, and the inevitable signs of civilisation crept from around the trees.

Nakwa wrenched himself away from the railing of the accursed merchant ship for the last time, spitting the last of his stomach's contents into the sea before running a hand along his mouth to ensure it was clean. Man was never meant to travel the seas, he thought to himself. I would rather fight a dozen opponents in the middle of a sandstorm that go through that again. One of the crewmen called out that Nakwa's boat was ready, his voice mocking the half-giant on the familiar sea where he would be afraid to do so on land. Turning with a stiff back and hopefully showing no signs of having just been sick for the hundredth time since the journey began, Nakwa glared at the scrawny sailor.

"Very well," he said simply. There was little else he could say; the sailor's derision was not due to Nakwa's repeated illnesses so much as it was his insistence on being taken ashore in a smaller boat, rather than swimming - a skill he lacked completely. It had cost him more of his coin, but he managed to negotiate a ferry to the shore.

When finally Nakwa's feet splashed into water and met soft sand a foot below, he was barely able to restrain himself from a sigh of relief. Planting both feet in the water, he turned back to the pair of sailors who were still in the small boat. Confident now his feet were back on solid ground, he felt they had a debt to pay.

"Let me help you back to your ship," Nakwa said in his smooth, bass voice. With quick actions, he planted both hands on the front of the vessel and pushed it backwards, dark-skinned muscles bulging while he dug his feet into the sand. Not worrying about looking to see what had happened to the sailors, yet hoping they had at least fallen off their seats, Nakwa turned and splashed his way to shore, taking care to keep his great sword and satchel above the water. He saw glimpses of a town up ahead through the trees, and began to make his way towards it.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

OOC - Hey Nawka. Careful with your assumptions, mate - remember, you can't create or control NPCs, or speak for them. I'll let you off just this once, but be careful in future.
---------------------------------------------------

A curse and a splash indicated that Nawka's push had indeed helped the sailors on their way... on their way out of the boat, perhaps. It was probably a good job he didn't look back. Nobody likes to see such offensive hand gestures early in the morningtide. Some spluttering and a few choice words about his parentage, fading as the half giant staggered away across the sand, were all that followed him.

The sailors were at least smart enough not to pick a fight.

Beyond the small, sandy beach the densely packed trees gave way to a wide, semi-circular clearing. Here, near the water line, a few makeshift wooden huts huddled, roofed in dried palm and laced thatch, and oiled skin tents no taller than waist height. These temporary buildings merely marked the straggling outskirts of fledgling Seinor, however - behind them, the makeshift town rose up - no need for stone or wooden buildings, instead the Panlings had shaped what they could out of the trees themselves. In the center, and tall enough to be seen from the shoreline, the twisted spire of a temple grew, and in the uppermost branches of its canopy three wide bells hung.

"Eabh! Ninadhiel!" A young, breathless voice to Nawka's left squeaked at him defiantly, and moments later a short, scruffy adhiel boy burst through the trees and confronted the tall halfgiant, a stubborn frown upon his freckled face and his small fists bunched against his hips. "Ihm edah, speh! I ea fiadhea ta ganiu!" He paused, and fixed Nawka with an accusing look. "Oneist?" He spat this one word of human derisively, daring Nawka to prove him right and face the wrath of three feet of seven year old boy.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry, just need to get into the swing of things. haven't done PbP for a while :oops: . Won't happen again, I swear! :P

[hr][/hr]
Any hopes for a familiar sight upon reaching land had been dashed as he gazed beyond the sandy beach. The dense, lush foliage was as strange to him as the sea at his back. Splashing his way out of the water, he paused a moment to let his sandaled feet to sink into the sand; wet though it was, it was still sand - something familiar in this strange place.

The young adhiel boy leaping from the trees was further sign of how foreign this place was. The top of his head didn't even reach Nakwa's waist, yet he glared accusingly up at the half-giant regardless, demanding something in a foreign tongue. Nakwa only caught the final accusation - "Oneist?" - which was hurled in human, presumably because of the blank look on his face as the rest of the boy's words rolled past unintelligably. Nakwa had learnt a little about the world outside while working for his fare at the inn; enough to have heard about the troubles on Pan's Isle.

"I am no Oneist," he said soothingly, but firmly, in human. "I worship Pan according to the tenets of the Blood, and have come here to find my path." A small smile cracked the corner of his mouth. "Are you the watchman of Seinor? I need to make my way to the temple; perhaps you could guide me?" The temple was in clear view, but Nakwa thought the child needed to be calmed down somewhat.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The boy wrinkled his nose at Nakwa suspiciously. Then, rather abruptly he turned to his left and yelled, "Laaaliiiiiiii!" He spread the word out as if it had eighteen syllables and not just two, a childlike cry for attention of some kind. Whether he was calling for the guards or for friends was unclear though, since he did so in the adhiel tongue.

After a moment a voice called back - a female voice, long-suffering but kind. "Ibh'ann ie immai, faliu..." And moments later, a woman emerged from the trees. She was short, as all adhiel are short, slender and delicate in appearance. Her long blonde hair was tied back into a rough, untidy plait from which hair stuck up at all angles haphazardly - clearly a woman more accustomed to working hard than looking nice. Upon seeing Nakwa, she paused, her blue eyes inspecting him curiously. Then she moved to take the boy's hand and muttered to him, "A seodhanabh salach, faliu. Ea aidheann an?" Then, straightening up, she looked to Nakwa curiously. "Namaste, ninadhiel." Her eyes lingered on his wet leggings. "You are new here? I will apologise for my son. He is... a ini'dhae ei... mmm. Frightened? It is not right, but I cannot say it better. It has been a long summer, stranger."

She paused, her struggle with the common tongue leaving her at a loss for exactly how to speak to this man. "My name is Evelynne." The adhiel woman eventually offered, rather abruptly.

Post by Guest »

Nakwa lowered the hand that had automatically strayed up to the sword hilt hanging above his shoulder. The child's cry had startled him and triggered a reaction ingrained in him since childhood. Embarassed, he dipped his torso in a short bow to the woman.

"Sands guide," Nakwa said, returning Evelynne's greeting with his own traditional tribal one; he was sure he would fail miserably if he tried to imitate her welcome. "There is no need to apologise; from what little I have heard of the island's troubles, I should not have been surprised by the reaction. My name is Nakwa, and I have just arrived from the Great Desert. The sea-journey was a new experience for me," he said with a smile.

"I've come to this island to seek guidance from Pan, and could not help but see what looks to be a temple up ahead. Are there any restrictions on who may enter?"

Nakwa decided not to mention that he had come to the island on the strength of the prophecy of his tattoos; as shown by his exile, those untouched by Pan's divinity seemed to have difficulty accepting its truth. Also, the tattoos had only pointed to the island; now he was here, he would have to seek answers or at least more directions, and he hoped that a visit to the temple would aid him in that pursuit. If that failed, then he had several pouches of hemp in his backpack that might prompt further visions.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Evelynne face scrunched up as she tried to understand what Nakwa was asking. Human was difficult for her at the best of times and the half-giant's accent did not help matters. "Yes the temple is there." She confirmed pointing back at the building Nakwa had seen. Being two stories tall it stood out against the one floor dwellings and tents that served as housing for the people of Seinor. Only the Inn across the road from the Temple stood as tall. "All that pray to Pan are welcome there." Evelynne assured him.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Following Evelynne's pointed finger out of habit more than a need to be guided to the prominent building, Nakwa returned his gaze to her and smiled slightly in thanks. Seeing her obvious difficulty at understanding him, Nakwa took care to try and be slower and more clear in his speech.

"I thank you for your help, Mistress," he replied courteously. "However, I must continue on to the temple; unless there is anything else, I have to bid you farewell." Talking to Evelynne had been all well and good, but Nakwa had to return to his quest now; he paused to see if there was anything else Evelynne had to add before he made his way to the temple.

OOC: Just so you know, one of my birthday rewards was Meet Minor NPC: Pan's Isle Priest. :D
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Got you covered. :)

"Farewell." She said in return and returned to whatever duties Nakwa had distracted her from.

Please continue here: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=196605
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Aveas Archive”