Scatha - Seinor - Chyril 23rd

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Exactly. That's exactly what the Oneists do." However different their language was, he had the feeling he could accord with this young woman.

"Bathing has always been a pride of the Joyling culture. The bathing houses in the late Tal'FeaTaur used to have numerous oils, herbs and minerals to make a bath refreshing, relaxing or enticing. They used hot stones to warm the water, which was normally provided by servants.
There are streams with clear water all over the Isle. Lately, I've been washing myself with that cold, natural water in the forrest; I don't know if and to what degree the bathing culture has been restored to its former glory. I guess we'll soon find out."

"Namaste, brothers," he answered the guards in Adhiel, nodding gently. I am Finodborn. This is lady Scatha Ashtir. She fought on our side during the assault of Gatetown. I can vow for her. We are looking for a warm bath. Any chance you could direct us to one?"

He felt strangely reassured by the slightly rough greeting of the guards; vigilance would be necessary if this Seinor place was ever to become a worthy successor to Tal'FeaTaur.
No.
He tried to shake off the thought. They would take back Tal'FeaTaur. If Seinor would become an additional home, all the better. If it didn't put the Bloodlust to sleep.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was entranced by the idea of hot stones in a bath; how do they get them into the water without burning themselves? And what happens if you sit on one in the bath? Could you get burnt underwater?

These questions fully occupied her as they approached Seinor, and it was only the somewhat abrupt queries of the guards that cleared them from her head. Scatha eyed them suspiciously, then checked herself; they've every right to be abrupt... they've just had their island taken from them, and they probably don't trust strangers. And besides, it was always nice of someone to refer to her as a lady, even if she definitely wasn't.

"My name is Scatha Ashtir, and I come from Dort," she said cheerfully. "I came to help in the war, as my friend said. And now, I looking for a bath, and a way to help things get better again, in that order." It wasn't very poetic like Finodborn's reply, but it was the truth and in Scatha's experience honesty usually paid off, unless you had broken something and could sweep up the pieces before anyone noticed.
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

The guards sized both visitors up for a few flickers. They exchanged a few looks and then nodded to each other and stepped aside.

"Then be welcome Lady Ashtir and Finodborn. Though the facilities in Seinor are hardly up to par with what you may be used to, you might ask the Joylings at the temple where to get a decent bath. The new Heart of Pan inn down the road and to the left has decent enough rooms and a bath or two even, but no one bathes quite like the Joylings."

A smile formed around the guard's lips as he spoke, recalling some good times perhaps.

"After your bath, if you are truly intent on helping, speak to Paloma, the priestess of Pan at the temple. She can direct you further."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Maybe it was just because he heard the promise of a possible source of income in it, but the news that yet another inn had opened made him happy. He had already spent some time in the Nymph and Satyr, but he hadn't yet had the chance to acquaint himself with the new Heart of Pan inn. In any case, he had always considered the number of taverns a good indicator of the health of city.

He wasn't entirely certain what exactly the guard meant when he seemed to recall the wholesomeness of the Joyling baths, but the advice made sense to him nevertheless. "Excellent idea, thank you kindly. Enjoy the day!"

After they had passed the guards, he changed back to common: "I guess consulting the experts at the temple might indeed be the guarantee that we will find you the best available bath. Moreover, the temple, as the center of town life, is worth visiting. You'll probably like Paloma. She's a very kind and capable woman, if slightly lacking edge, in my opinion."
Last edited by Finodborn on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Thank you," Scatha replied cheerfully as they passed the guards. She pursed her lips as she listened to Findborn's comments; "I suppose we could visit the temple, if you say its worth seeing," she mused. "And I've met Paloma, just the once... very briefly. That was before I managed to get lost in the woods on the island." That all seemed so long along, and she was fairly certain that Paloma wouldn't remember a scruffy farm girl from girl, especially as she'd had a war to sort out at the same time. Scatha glanced down, and brushed the dust from her leather trousers; "What did the guard mean when he said no-one bathes like the Joyling? Do they have special loofahs or something? "

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Well, don't expect too much of the building itself; in fact, don't expect anything from the buildings in Seinor in general. But you might find it a pleasant atmosphere there. Now that you remind me of it, I even recall you meeting Paloma. Right before I lost you out of sight."

After an inner sigh, Finodborn thought of how he could possibly explain in a subtle way what he thought that statement meant. "Well erm... I told you earlier that the Joylings are fond of physical pleasures. One type they are especially interested in is the kind people can provide each other with their bodies. As in... intimate activities. There used to be establishments, you see, where one could go for a kind of communal bath and find several men and women there, willing to engage in such activities with you."

Afraid that he had just alienated the young woman too much, he added: "But it's not like all bath houses are like that. And in general, the Joylings won't do anything with you you don't want them to do. I've never been in such a place."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Oh, I won't expect anything from the building," Scatha cheerfully. "We used to have a tin bath inside the barn back at Dort, so I should imagine it's a bit bigger than that. As long as its clean and has hot water I'll be fine."

Scatha's eyes widened as Finodborn outlined what Joylings did in their baths. "Oh my goodness... you mean like skinny dipping? Only with boys there??" The idea was shocking and yet rather enjoyable at the same time, the same as when she'd used to go skinny dipping in Dort and Fergal Macalla had hid up a tree to watch her, until she had picked up a stone and thrown it at him. Scatha was a good shot, and the subsequent bruise on Fergal's forehead has taken a month to fade. The bruised ribs had taken even longer. Scatha wondered if the baths in Seinor provided stones... maybe that's what the heated ones are for!

"Oh well," Scatha said eventually, "I'm sure it is very respectable establishment. And as long as they kepp their loofahs to themselves, we shall manage very well. Let's go and see."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The housing and indeed the temple itself in Seinor was not much to look at. Clearly it was a young settlement and most of the tents that Finodborn remembered being here during the war were still in use along the outer rim of the town. Most of the tents in the center and along the main road had been replaced by wooden structures, huts and one story houses made from logs mostly, built by the more long standing residents of Gatetown, now Seinor.

The temple was somewhat larger, and even though the exterior was simple, mostly wood with some stone at the base, betraying the existance of a somewhat older and sturdier structure at one time. It still carried some of the splendor a temple should have. Decorated with flowers, some growing on vines creeping up the walls of the place, some planted along the wall or poised in bundles by the entrance as homage to Pan, it was quite a colourful and festive display for a town that otherwise looked rather poverish and common.

Inside, the temple was also full of color, drapes and curtains decorated the inside of the main hall, which was really all there was to the place, save a few small alcoves and rooms whose entrances were also covered in curtains. The hall was empty, save for a small girl who was sitting on a pillow along the right side of the wall. She smiled as the two newcomers entered.

"Namaste, Pan's blessing upon you strangers." she spoke in a high pitched voice. She could not be more than seven yahren old. She held out a flower in each of her hands. She did not get up, her legs were in bandages.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha pursed her lips as they walked through Seinor; just look at all these tents! How will they cope in the winter? She positively bristled with indignation at those who had caused the war by the time they reached the temple.

At least the temple is presentable, she mused to herself as they entered. Although I'd have thought it would have been better to have built houses for people first. Still, Scatha knew the value of faith - after all, hadn't the Mother marked her as one of Her own? - and decided it would be prudent to stay silent on the matter.

The only other occupant of the temple appeared to be a child, and as she greeted them Scatha knelt down next to her. "Thank you," she said with a smile, taking the flower from her. "It's lovely." Her eyes were drawn to the bandages around the child's legs; "You seem to have hurt yourself quite badly. Are you alright?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Finodborn has been in Seinor before. Just thought I'd say this because maybe it is unclear.

IC:

He had been avoiding this place that was so thoroughly associated with the soft, pacifist currents in the Panling society. This temple with its soothing care attenuated the rage, which was pretty much all they had left, according to Finodborn. At the same time, it made him feel comfortable and at home; it was so different from the harsh surroundings he had been seeking out, with its relentless solitude.

As he saw his company act so caringly, once more this Scatha person confirmed his positive impression of her. More hesitatingly and uncomfortable than she seemed, he in turn accepted the flower with a friendly nod. He was pretty sure Scatha would be better at handling this situation, so he kept quiet.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I know Finodborn has been there, but my notes on the place are slim, so I'm working on some creative assumptions and past thread recollection. If you have any specifics I should know about regarding Seinor NPCs etc, please PM me.

"You seem to have hurt yourself quite badly. Are you alright?"

The girl shrugged as she scratched an itch under one of the bandages. "It's ok. Mommy says the bandages can come off soon. I fell off a cart when we came here, hurt my legs in the wheel." She could be no more than eight yahren old. Being happy with her explanation she popped her thumb in her mouth, sucked on it a few times, then looked back up at Scatha.

"You're a nice lady. Can you sit with me? I can't read this but the pictures are nice..." She held out a book, apparently a children's story of some sort, the edges of some pages decorated here and there with pictures of flowers and small woodland creatures, some imagery of pixies. All the text was in adhiel. Finodborn could make out the title of the page that was flipped open; "The Fairy Queen".
Last edited by Brytan on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha winced in sympathy as the girl explained how she came to be in bandages; "Owwwwww. That must have *hurt*. I just hope that your legs get better soon."

The child's next request brought Scatha up short. Usually she treated books or any written material with the same respect that she reserved for snakes; whilst other people might enhuse about how wonderful they were, in her experience they were best kept at arms length. Preferably two arms lengths. The marks on the books that she presumed to be letters just looked like odd wriggles that might pass as cattle brands back in Dort, although she couldn't imagine any cow suffering that many brands to be put on it, even if they were small. Still, if the girl couldn't read then that would make two of them. Scatha sat down next to her and peered at the book.

"I can't read either," she said in a whisper. "But I don't mind looking at the pictures." They were quite well drawn, and colourful, and Scatha pointed at one; "What's that? And by the way... what's your name?"

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Super :wink:

IC: He looked with admiration at the way Scatha handled this contact. Her carefree approach, lacking everything remotely related to shyness, was certainly not limited to children, but he envied the ease with which she connected.

It was all the more difficult to decide whether to interrupt them or not, but he felt he had to contribute that little bit of information neither Scatha or the child had. "The title of the story is "The Fairy Queen"," he said with a voice as soft and undesturbing as possible. And it was sheer luck that he had recognized these characters, for he too didn't really know how to read.

books were a rarity, especially good-looking books. Finodborn wondered where this one came from.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The girl looked rather stumped at Scatha's question regarding her name, shying away a moment, averting her gaze from the two new arrivals.

"Welcome to the temple of Pan travelers. Finodborn. It's been some time has it not?"

Turning to the new voice, Finodborn instantly recognised Paloma, the priestess of the temple. She was dressed in a simple green sarong, which were slightly worn around the edges but still fell gracefully around her. She looked young, her blonde hair falling in long waves over her shoulders, her blue eyes sizing up her visitors with a curious and inviting look. She walked up to Finodborn and looked into his eyes, then turned to Scatha.

"My name is Paloma, I am the priestess here. Welcome to Seinor my dear. I see you've met little Sienna?"

The girl on the pillows smiled and started fondeling with a strand of her hair. Paloma took her fingers through the child's hair. Sienna smiled shyly and stretched her hand towards the book Scatha held. When given, she'd continue looking at the pictures, occasionally mumbling words like "pretty flower" and several similar words in adhiel.

"Please, please, sit down. You must have traveled a long way. Tell me, how can I help you?"

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was bemused; asking someone their name was only polite, if only to stop you referring them as bignose or haystack hair. Still, she was still young enough to remember what she'd been like when she was seven; by now, she'd have either talked any visitors to death or vanished up into the treehouse. Scatha handed the book to Sienna (pretty name... and turned her attention to the woman who had entered.

They had met before, very briefly, when Scatha had carried Duke Erwin's message to her at the very beginning of the War. Paloma had been busy with the need to defend her land and her people, and probably wouldn't remember just one messenger, even if they did come from the Citadel. Scatha was also rather hoping that Paloma wouldn't remember that she'd given her command of a group of centaurs and elves, and that Scatha had somehow managed to get herself seperated from them and also get herself lost.

Paloma's question was a good one, and one that Scatha wasn't entirely sure she had the answer to, so instead of replying she glanced over to Finodborn for guidance.
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Good to see you again, Mother," he replied. Some time ago, she'd told him to call her Sister, since Eilish, the High Priestess was still officially the priestess of the temple. Finodborn hadn't seen Eilish since the start of the war. Maybe Paloma's reaction to his address would already tell him something.

"Indeed. I have been spending much of my time in Pan's woods." The way she approached him made him nervous - he had no idea what this clergywoman could and couldn't see in his soul. The clearer her view, the less happy she'd be, he reckoned. She had a pervasive habit of hugging, which she didn't act on now. Maybe her energy was getting drained?

He took a seat on one of the pillows. "This is Scatha. I believe you briefly met on the day of the invasion. She has offered to contribute to our cause," he spoke, well aware of the fact that Paloma's an his definition of their cause most probably differed somewhat. "I was just showing her the new town, so this temple, the heart of Seinor, was of course an obligatory stop. And of course I'm curious to hear your latest news. But more urgently, we are looking for the best bath Seinor can offer nowadays."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Paloma frowned when Finodborn referred to her as "mother", her eyes turning for a moment to the colourful representations of the three paths of Pan, stood along the curves of the wall to their left. Aside from that she did not seem to respond, her gaze at intervals trailing to the infant sitting near them. To Finodborn, Paloma seemed particularly distracted, as he had already noted her current reluctance in physical contact towards him and Scatha at least.

He took a seat on one of the pillows. "This is Scatha. I believe you briefly met on the day of the invasion. She has offered to contribute to our cause," he spoke, well aware of the fact that Paloma's an his definition of their cause most probably differed somewhat. "I was just showing her the new town, so this temple, the heart of Seinor, was of course an obligatory stop. And of course I'm curious to hear your latest news. But more urgently, we are looking for the best bath Seinor can offer nowadays."

Paloma nodded at Scatha's reintroduction, her smile fading as she seemed to recall something from a long time past. "Yes, we have met, haven't we? Such a long and troubling time ago. Unfortunately since then, not much has changed in our favor. The winds that sweep the isle have yet to blow in our direction."

Suddenly the priestess seemed...older...somehow. Turning once more to Sienna, ruffling her hair up a bit, making the child look up. Sienna smiled at the priestess of Pan. "Can you read me a story now Paloma?"

"Perhaps in a bit my dear."

"As you can tell, this town is still very much a refugee camp. Still, even with the war over, many seek refuge here, while already the influence of Tal'Fea'Taur is stretching beyond it's own walls. I am glad you want to help yet again, for some days even I must believe that by Joy alone we can not regain what was once ours. This might come as a bit of a surprise to you Finodborn." She winked coyly in his direction, not all of her Joyling charms lost to the strands of time and wearyness. "I think we should be able to manage a nice bath for you here. Though the water is not yet heated I can have some ready for you in a few burns if you would like to stay here a while. Otherwise we have two inns that might be able to provide similar comforts. In that respect there has been some improvement. I would be very pleased however if you would stay a while longer and recount some of your travels, both of you. The news we get is sparse and hardly enlightening."

Finodborn had already taken a seat. Paloma nodded at Scatha to do the same. "Please dear, feel free to sit down, shall I get some food and drinks for us?"

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was always partial to food and drink, especially if it was good and if someone else had cooked it. "Yes please," she said cheerfully, dragging a pillow towards her and sprawling in an extremely un-ladylike way over it. "I suppose I don't have any recent news that you wouldn't already have heard," she mused out loud. "Most recently I have been wandering the island, helping to rebuilt and to bury the dead. I try to help people get better, but its not much more than applying herbs given to me by healers and changing bandages. Before that... I was in the Citadel, and the Duke tried to make me a seesaw." No, not that word. Close tho... ah, got it. "I mean a Caesarii. But I didn't really want to be one, so he sent me here instead. I expect they made the fox man it instead. I wouldn't want to be a chicken with him around, I can tell you." Scatha propped herself up on one elbow, and looked at Paloma; "Unless you've heard something different...?"

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Something is seriously wrong with the priestess, said Finodborn's gut. It seemed as if she was nearly totally drained of her usual spirit and energy.

He was indeed surprised to hear her mention doubt about which path to follow - to him an implicit invitation to get the Bloodlings involved. He hadn't openly spoken with her on the subject, but he knew that Paloma was a woman with connections all over the Panling society. She could very well know a thing or two about Finodborn's recent movements even if he himself hadn't told her anything about them.
But her comment about the wind, idly refusing to turn, reinstilled him with doubt about her battle lust. After all, this wasn't a matter of wind turning, luck changing or boons being provided; it was a matter of using their rage in stead of soothing it.

Luckily, Scatha's willingness to do some talking gave him more time to ponder on what he wanted to tell this priestess and what not. He only listened to miss Ashtir's story with one ear, and on top of that, it wasn't remarkable clear in structure and it was in Common. When she'd finished, he had barely understood anything he thought could be remotely true. He patiently awaited Paloma's response to whatever it had been Scatha had told her before speaking himself.

"I have little news myself, Mother. The Bloodlings execute the occasional raid on transport caravans going from the coffee fields to Aveas. Nobody really knows what happened to the centaurs and most of our people seem asleep in their illusion of safety. I am convinced, though, that the enemy has weaknesses that could be exploited, their motivation of greediness in the first place."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As the two visitors spoke, Paloma walked to an alcove nearby and gathered an assortment of fruit and bread on a tray, aswell as a pitcher of fresh water and a few cups. She nodded at Scatha's tale, smiling at her choice of words when she spoke of the Caesar.

She sat back down and listened to Finodborn retell what he had heard. Paloma sighed. "Last I heard the centaur had travelled deeper into their own plains and the forests to the north and west, near to the fallen island. I am told they seek allies among it's people, as they too seem determined to fight the occupiers."

She took an apple from the tray and bit on it, then placed it back and stood up.

"You must excuse me, I am feeling a bit tired. Perhaps it is best you find an inn to rest in. Come back to me in a day or so and we can talk further if you will. I shall have to lay down a bit."

As she walked off through one of the curtained doorways in the back, Sienna said; "I like seesaws."

OOC: Perhaps it is best we round this up and move to the 25th to meet the synch? New adventures await. Thanks for your patience, hope we can get something proper going on the new day. Feel free to start a new thread and elaborate a bit on what you did during the past tides, after closing arguments here ofcourse ;)

Return to “Aveas Archive”