A Fisherman's Tale: Dorian Drake Chapter 5 - Samheen 3

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Dorian remembered what he had been told - he was that sort of person - and dropped his gaze to his feet, and spoke, "Wise thinking, Wise actions your reign follow oh god chosen one, fair leader of the Mer. Health and wholeness enrich your years, Queen Lady of the lake." And he waited, for no one had patience like a fisherman. Unless it was a parent potty-training a child.

He held Maranda's hand in a steady, reassuring grip, because he was not afraid. And he didn't suffer from Awe. You needed more imagination than he possessed for that, or perhaps less common sense. He'd been immersed in common sense for most of his life.

He waited to be addressed, and he had a few questions to ask.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Finding herself trembling, the firm steadying grip of her husband's hand felt as wonderous to her as anything. Glancing at him with a warm smile, she followed his lead and dropped her eyes as she stood there waiting, heart pounding out of fear or excitement, she wasn't sure which.

"Failte ort!" the musical voice chimed gently. "Come closer muileach so these eyes can look upon you," she reached out a hand to the couple, beconning them closer as her eyes studied them both intently.

"A fine quillian ruan you have grown into. Questions are many coming from you. I feel them. Answer we will try to give, though not all of your answers do I have, young ones." She smiled and reached a hand out, running it through the fisherman's hair before turning her attention to the blonde, cupping her chin with her fingers.

"And a fair mate you have chosen, as fair inwardly as outwardly. Our blessings upon you child and your offspring, may they be many, be stout and be hale." As she spoke, a golden glow began to emminate from her hand surrounding Maranda and then Dorian. As suddenly as it began, it was over and merqueen motioned to some seats.

"First, we answer why you are here. Darkness grows. How or why we cannot know for it seems the openings that allow it in are in the land and not under the waters. Your eyes and ears we need ruan. We would not be caught unawares as the last great battle of light and dark. We would know what has caused the openings that now allow darkness to spill into the light bringing calamity such as summer floods, and wild out of season storms as we pulled you from."

"More of this we will speak of later, but you have questions Dorian. About your past. Many details we do not have. That you were separated from family when young you already know. That it was an evil storm fueled by darkness, perhaps you do not. That your sire fought with forces of light and fell in battle, perhaps you know not either. Braew he was, Ragallach warrior true and valiant. Washed into loving hands of old man Drake you were to keep you from the hands of darkness. There, treated as human, you were hidden from them. And so, you grew into a man full statured, richer for your ruan blood."
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian observed this with the same calm reserve as he took in most things. 'Re roimhe......." he said, then struggled to think in one language. "before.......what happened before ? Where is my family ?" Then a stubborn streak was hit in his soul. He HAD a family; that was Nate Drake, who raised him up to be a man. He was bound to the land and still wasn't part of the land. Something was missing from his life, though he was happy enough to have Maranda, there was a chunk of his life he didn't know about and needed to, now.

"What am I ? Where are they ? And what do you mean, openings in the land ?" He wondered if it had anything to do with that ivory map case he'd salvaged and sold. "Does it have something to do with the Orcs ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

What amounted to a sigh slipped from the merwoman's thoughts and she rearranged herself on her cushiony like seat.

"Questions about yourself we will answer first. Two families indeed you did have. About either the mer only know some as it related to the war for the light. That you were separated from your first family by evil and then rescued, washed ashore by the forces of light into Drake's hands to care for you we know only by reports of the time. As to what you are, tell me ruan. What memories have begun to return? Earliest memories are of crawling on land, playing in sand, walking on floor made of wood?"

Still holding his hand, Maranda scooted a bit closer to Dorian as she felt his questions, perhaps a taste of frustration and definately his need to know. Not entirely sure what all this meant still other than there was a secret about her husband, she quietly listened to the Queen Mother and then looked at her love for his reply, impressed once again by his handsome profile and the flash in his wonderful blue eyes as she gently squeezed his hand reassuringly.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I remember rocks. And seals. And the sea, and the sun." said Dorian, giving her a level gaze that said how serious he was about it. he also gave Maranda's hand another reassuring squeeze - he was hers, after all.

"The only wood I remember standing on was tipping, in the storm. Like the deck of a big ship as it broke up and went under. I remember bits of another language....I remember a little girl in a sealskin. A dark haired girl." If something had indeed happened to his family, then someone's arse needed kicking for that transgression. Dorian was a simple soul after all. A shiver ran through him as he tried to bring up memories of the storm, but it had truly scared him half to death, as well as given him a conk to the bonce that had robbed him of his memories.

His earliest memories of Old Drake was being in the boat, in the storm, wrapped in the man's oilskins as Nate Drake rowed hard against the waves to get them to shore. He remembered being chased down and made to wear clothes, and being taught the common tongue, and how funny all the buildings looked. He remembered Drake having a hard time keeping him out of the water, and making him eat cooked food. Swimming....he loved to swim, but it was different to swim now than it used to be, once upon a time. Like Old Drake he'd never learned to read words, and didn't mind it; he could read a sky, read a wave, and lived a fairly contented life. Until the memories started sneaking back and reminding him he had lost something important.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Reaching out to touch his hair again, her eyes distant as if remembering, she nodded.

"Your heart knows the truth. Early memories are of water, swimming, freedom and sunbaked rocks. But not visions of mer, rather a sister in sealskin but no human, at least not entirely human. Like yourself, Selkie.... ruan. Unlike you, we know not what became of sister or Selkie mother who were not on ship with father and son. One thought had Ragallach as the ship went down... the life of his son who journied with him and he called to the gods to spare son's life. The Mother heard the call.

By the gods your future was cast, gods who drew old fisherman to the sea and tossed young selkie into his boat for protection and keeping. Brave was your sire and sad it is that his death was lost not in battle but in the madness of nature. Clear it is not, if the dark intended to stir the storm to destroy the warriors or simply a by-product of something else evil was doing at the time."

Sitting back with almost a weariness, the merqueen shakes her head, the masses of silky dark tendrils flowing sensually around her face and shoulders, the gems in her hair glistening in the light.

"Darkness comes alive again and so shortly after the defeat. Sadly, prepared to meet it we are not. Much unrest comes from the land, but again sadly, we cannot venture long on land and know not the ways of humans and others well enough to learn what we must. You Dorian... you can be our eyes and ears if willing you will be. Not to fight against darkness, only to report what you can. Much we ask, this we know but ask it we feel we must."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian uttered a short, sharp bark, as he did when surprised or very angry, two things that rarely happened. His SKIN. He was missing his skin ! The storm......had he lost it ? Had Old Drake....taken his skin away, to keep him on land ? Old Drake had told him about Selkies, told him about Mer, all the stories fishermen knew. Had he lost his skin in that storm........

But a lot of worrying and puzzling merely confused Dorian and shut down his brains. He shelved the problem for further consideration - it seemed like a two-to-three days thinker of a problem. He considered the Queen's request, then, pondering it slowly. "I'll give you what news I get, but I don't get out much," he said, because he had never not considered doing what the Mer asked, "I just go to town to sell fish and buy things as needed. What news are you looking for, in town ? News of.....war ? Bad people ?" He looked over at Maranda, who was ten times better than he was at talking to people.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"News of anything.. events or beings out of the ordinary. Anything of magic," the merqueen replied slowly then sighed. "Someone explores the paths of dark magic. Many tremors we have felt from far and near. Far ones we cannot influence but those nearby perhaps we can. Near tremors come from between Kings Court and Roque d'Ancourt. Someone to watch other city we have found but in both we must have eyes and ears that go about the city unnoticed." She reached out her hand again, laying her hands on each of their shoulders.

"Maranda helpful can be, but not without danger is this we ask of you Dorian. Learners of darkness come out of an evil that lurks inside, evil that will have its own way. We ask not a small thing. This we know but our need is dire. In return, we offer to renew efforts to discover if mother and sister still live and where they might be found. Of success I cannot be assured, not for you or for us. But both can try?"

"Much we ask full of great danger. Dorian has new mate and family to consider. Understand we will, if you chose not to help. Friend of mer you will continue with blessings of the deep to you. This task accepted freely must be without pressure. No answer now do we demand. Go, explore city, think, talk. Return when answer has come," she smiled and dropped her hands from their shoulders.

"Now, more questions did you have?" she asked as she sat back lounging very casually in her seat her tail waving slowly back and forth.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Magic ?" Dorian thought, ponderously slow, and finally came up with, "Might it have anything to do with a treasure map that was stored in a ivory case ? I salvaged it, and I didn't want to go on land, I'm too clumsy and I'd just get lost, and (most importantly to a Drake) it costs a lot of money to travel. I sold it to a woman who was sort of magicky, if I had to guess." When it came to brains, Dorian could sure bait a hook well.

He rubbed his chin, which meant he was thinking really hard. "I guess I can look around. I don't know what good I'll be....I could ask people that I sell fish too. I sell fish at reasonable prices, people are happy about that. Maybe if they're happy they'll gossip. Maranda can teach me what questions to ask. When you say evil, do you mean I ought to take my gaff into town in case something evil bothers me ? It works on Drowned."

But one thing for sure. He wanted something....to know of his sister and his mother, if they lived, it was important. Most important of all, though, he wanted his skin back. That was part of him. The part that lived in the sea, where he was more at home than on land. There was nothing more valuable to a Selkie, and no chains of love nor chains of steel could keep him from wanting it. "I want my skin back," he said, "I can find my family myself - if I go out to the sea, I can look for them. But I need my skin." Even if the Mer Queen didn't know where his skin was.....it might well be lost forever.....maybe she could find out. And maybe.....maybe, if he rowed across the lake and asked Old Drake's friend, if the old man still lived....he might know where it was. Surely, if Old Drake had hidden it away.....he would not have been so cruel as to sell it or destroy it. And if it was destroyed....would I still be around, he wondered. SOMEONE must have it ! was the sum total of a whole lot of reasoning.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Eyes that held a lifetime of wisdom, clouded sadly and the merqueen dropped her gaze and shook her head softly.

"Distress over your skin we understand, Dorian but sadly little help we can be in that. Traveling with human father during storm, that he had skin we would think to be the truth, or that skin was with mother and sister. But of what happened little is known. Gods know more perhaps, but all we know we have shared." Pausing, she waved her hands in a casual almost dismissive gesture.

"What to hear? What you hear or see that strikes wrong in your heart. Heritage will lead you is our belief and asking not necessary. Only follow what is in here," she touched his chest. "Follow truth hidden here and if what we fear comes near, know it you will."

OC: ack... my break is over & have to work OT tonight.. will finish much later :(
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded, accepting it as he accepted most everything in life. "If I can find it, I'll find it," he said. Blue eyes darkened with sadness looked over at Maranda, then he won back control of his feelings. Now that he knew what the loss in his life had been, the splintered images made sense. He had been on a ship that broke up, walking as a boy, and had somehow been separated from his skin. Easy enough to have happen, as many fishermen liked to find female Selkie's skins and hide them. Yet his ties to Maranda were of love not demanded by the ownership of his skin, and that was soothing enough for him to put the thoughts aside.

"I'll do what you ask, I hope I can help." he said, to the Mer Queen.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Many questions tumbled through Maranda's mind as her husband and the queen discussed something called selkie and skins, contemplating how Dorian might have lost his or where it might be found. Gazing at what she thought was the nicest looking man she'd ever laid eyes on, it sure looked to her like he had skin just like she had but not wanting to interrupt the very serious discussion, she pushed those thoughts to the back for later. This had something to do with the dreams he'd had though, she was pretty certain.

In response to his sadness over loosing his skin, the girl moved next to him and took his hand, her love for him rising up within her and that desire to do anything to make him happy. If that meant looking for a skin or his mother and sister, then that was okay. She would follow him where ever he had to go.

Nodding at Dorian's acceptance of the task, she smiled and the heavy feeling was replaced by a sense of happiness and contentment.

"A festival there will be, next tide. Welcome gathering for Dorian and Maranda with music and movement and magic. Explore the city you may until then, or rest. More questions did you have?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Thankee, Ma'am," said Dorian, with a nod, his hand holding Maranda's. He then bowed, thinking that his manners could be better than that. He met so few Queens, though, so it took a while to get through. "You're very gracious. Thank you."

And was happy to depart, because he wanted to talk to Maranda. Once they were out of the Queen's chambers, he gathered her in his arms and kissed her. "I found out what was missing," he said, in the calm, easy Dorian Drake way, "And I'm still settling it all in my head. That can take a while. I'm not clever like you. But, to put it out, I want to tell you that I'm a Selkie. I could, if I had my skin, turn into a seal and swim as a seal. On land, I can walk as a man, and that's all I could ever remember, til now. My sealskin is lost. It must have been lost in the storm I was found in."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Much had been said in their meeting with the queen, much of it of things that were unfamiliar to the blonde. Her husband had been on ship in a storm, with his father and would have drowned but for the intervention of a god... or gods. It was they who deposited the young boy with Mr Drake who Dorian had called father most of his life. Somewhere he had a mother and sister and they might still live.

Mind still spinning, she smiled as her husband pulled her into his arms and kissed her and snuggled into his embrace. There was no where she felt happier than next to him, his strong arms wrapped around her. Listening to him however filled her with a mix of the excitement that came from him and his discovery of his past and dread over what his discovery might mean to them... to her.

The only thing she knew of Selkies, she'd heard from tales that were not supposed to be true and those were tales of selkie women whose skin was stolen by men who wanted them as their wife. If the women ever found their skins, they returned to the sea without a glance back. With the return of her husband's skin, would he too return to the sea? It wasn't something she could bear to think about and yet, she loved Dorian and wanted to see him happy. Pressing down her fears, she smiled and hugged him.

"It is wonderful that you finally remember, Dorian. Now perhaps more will come back to you," she kissed his cheek. "You'll want to look for your mother and sister?" It was more a statement than a question and she pulled back and looked at him.

"Do you think your father..." she paused and bit her lip, not entirely sure how to say what she was thinking.

"I mean.. the tales you hear about how men take Selkie women for their wives. It always has something to do with their skin." And yet, the merqueen seemed to have very high regard for Dorian's real father, had painted him as a hero. Would someone like that hide a Selkie skin to keep her from returning to her home? From the maelstrom of spinning thoughts, one spun out and crystallized suddenly.

"Your skin could be with your mother," the blonde said softly, voicing the thought that had just entered her mind. "After all, if your father had the skin with him in the storm, wouldn't he have put you back in it? The storm would have been easier to survive as a seal than a human boy."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian gently rocked the woman in his arms, silent for a long while as he strung his thoughts together. "I'll look for my family, when the time is right for it," he said. "I don't know where my skin is. It might have been lost. If my father had charge of it, he might not have had time to give it to me. I don't think I'd be alive now if it were lost for good, though."

He thought some more, in that slow, deliberate way. "But I don't know where it was, nor why I was there, nor what really happened. I know what I was raised to be, and that's a way of living with honour to it. I'll not fash myself over the rest." He brushed her golden hair with a gentle kiss. "I have a wife now to see to, and the winter is coming. A lost skin can stay lost a while longer. There's work to be done." And that was how he had been raised. A day a Drake didn't do something worthwhile, well, he was probably dead. "Shed might not even be standing when we get back. Boat might be gone. A lot of work to do, at any rate, not the least harder than figuring out magicky business."

He sighed then, still rocking her slightly, cradling her in his arms. She'd just found out the man she married wasn't entirely a man. "I'd be no man, let alone a fisherman, if I lived in regret." He said, echoing Old Nate Drake. "So, then, wife, what say you ? Do you mind that your husband is a little bit strange ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Typical of the fisherman, his response was not to try and speak kind words of reassurance, but to make plans for his future... on the land. They were the sweetest words that she had ever heard and her heart overflowed with love once again for this man she'd married. Once again, she felt she had to be the luckiest woman alive. Snuggled in his embrace, she smiled brightly and looked up at him.

"No, yer not strange Dorian. Yer different than any man I ever laid eyes on, but it's a wonderful difference... a difference I fell hopelessly in love with. I am proud ta be part of who and what you are, because it's somethin' good and strong and honorable." Reaching up to run her fingers through his dark hair, she gazed into his eyes.

"I love ya Dorian Drake and that includes all of ya. I'd not have ya any other way," she said softly.

"I guess it just means I need ta do a lot more practice swimmin'" she giggled softly and kissed him.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Aye," said Drake softly, after the kiss ended, looking down at her with blue eyes fringed with long dark lashes. "If I find my skin, then you'll be swimming with a seal." He didn't know himself what would happen on that day, but knew - knew in his heart, that he must put the skin on and swim. What happened next after that, he couldn't speculate on. That would take many long hours on the water waiting for the fish to bite, for him to even remotely get a handle on those thoughts. He was not a clever man, not a fast thinker, but he would eventually get to where he had to be. For instance, he hadn't even considered what it meant if someone holding his skin actually knew it was a Selkie's skin. That person would have a lot of control over him.

"Love you, wife." he said, looking into her eyes and smiling. "On land or in water. Now, do you want to see the Mer city ? Or settle in to sleep a while ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Giggling at the thought of swimming with a seal, the blonde hugged her husband and sighed contentedly. At his question as to what she'd like to do, she happily chirped to see the city and so off they went. Curious look followed the two as they swam through the mer city, a delight of structures that seemed to be woven out of coral and all of it gave off a soft glow of light. Not nearly as harsh as sunlight, the light here was more pervasive and cast no shadows.

One large area done in blues and greens was the setting for a good number of mer musicians with odd looking instruments playing the most beautiful music Maranda had ever heard. Unlike the earlier singing which had produced an almost primal longing inside her, this was an invitation to dance; a spritely fast dance though there was no drum beat to drive the rhythm, something in the lyre-like instruments produced something similar. Still very ungainly in the water, the blonde laughed and hugged Dorian instead as she enjoyed the sounds.

They saw a school with merchildren, the workers who processed the food as it was brought in by the fishermer, mer who were weaving lake grasses into nets and other decorative items and others who were making things from shells and other lake treasures. No so different than life in the landbased cities, it had it's own unique flavor that was exotic. With a large smile, one of the craftsmer draped elaborate collars of what looked to be thread-like strands of gold interwoven with jewels or colorful shells on both Dorian and his wife. Eyes wide, the blonde thanked the mer admiring the beautiful fine detail in the pieces.

Finally, happy but a bit weary from so much swimming, the blonde sighed and laid her head on Dorian's shoulder.

"I've seen all I can for now," she told him softly. "Can we take a nap before the festival t'night?"
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian had enjoyed the city, but moreso the happiness of his wife to be there. He had hummed along to the music, as it sounded very like a song he knew, that had only words sung in the Selkie tongue. An diolaim.....seaweed....like the bright green eyes of his lovely mate. He thanked the Mer who'd given them the treasures, and wondered what to give in return; he decided he'd have to bring down something unique to land, and asked the Mer's name. That would take some thinking, as this was Dorian doing the thinking.

And he was content to go and return to the shell, and settle in next to her to sleep a while. Their days and nights were getting all mixed up now, so he reckoned the best time to rest was when they felt tired, and hoped that the times would stay about the same when they went back on land. It was a pain trying to do much by way of cleaning up at night.

He shut his eyes, and put aside the thoughts that needed thinking, for later consideration. Drakes were much too sensible to let thoughts keep them from their rest. Things that needed worrying about could be worried about tomorrow, and dealt with. He wasn't totally sure what the festivities would be like, but then, there would probably be food and that was all right with him. This much swimming worked up a good hunger in him. Without another concern he drifted off to sleep, next to his wife.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Since she was small, the blonde's dreams had been to travel to other places and see other things, other people than those she'd grown up with. Here, among the mer, was better than anything she could have ever dreamed of and she settled into their shell nestled against her husband thinking it appropriate as she was indeed happy as a clam. It was a phrase she'd heard the townspeople use and never given much thought to, until now as she lay gazing at Dorian, handsome and intriguing as ever, her heart spilling over with her love for him and happiness with her life.

As she drifted off to sleep, she thought she could still hear the faint sounds of mermusic, not the driving beat of dance or even the song of longing and passion, but one of quiet rest and repose. In her dreams, lovely mer danced in slow drifting patterns of elegance, long hair like streamers flowing after them.

Dreams spring from what our mind holds as important right now and Dorian's sleep was not of mer or their visit to the city. Hot sun baking down on warm rocks next to cool sea water filled his dreams. Rocks populated by other seals who basked in the warmth after what had been a long cold winter. Still young, he lay beside a larger seal feeling very comfortable and safe.

Rocks shifted to a white sandy beach where a lovely raven headed woman dug for clams in the sand, watching Dorian and a girl child play in the edge of the surf. The children were playing tag with the waves by running down the wet sand with the receeding wave, then racing back up onto the dry before the waves could touch them as they laughed.

Sand shifted to grassy earth in front of a large house set on a hill well back from the beach yet with a clear view of the water. A tall dark haired man stood embracing the raven headed beauty, then knelt to embrace the girl child and finally the strong, steady arms surrounded Dorian. Pulling back, the man's piercing blue eyes were full of sadness as he spoke words to the child about the evil in the world with a promise he would return quickly.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian lay quietly, watching in his dreams, with the slow contemplation that he had learnt from Old Drake. He remembered.....

The water. Swimming in it, gliding through it easily, even less bothered by the bite of the winter currents, fed by snowfall to the north. Learning how to chase fish, taught by his mother, and the fine feeling of the sun up on the rocks. Among large grey-spotted seals, whose eyes were those of his clan, dark and wise. The sea. He had been unafraid of the sea, so long as the strong, able bodies of his clan glided next to him. They were never far away. Nor were the Mer, the Mer who sometimes swam with them.

He remembered running around with his sister, the speed of two legs on land and the variety of sounds you could make. You fell down a lot, though, that was the bad bit. Balancing on two legs was harder than it looked. Clothes were a jump, they were strange. You just wrapped your skin around yourself if you wanted to, or if elders were around, so they could see from your pelt what clan you were from. He got into a lot of trouble on two legs, being stuffed full of curiousity and having two hands with which to meddle with everything. He remembered being talked to in that lyrical language, his mother patiently trying to get him to behave and understand about the two different worlds he was living in. He took after his father; adventurous, determined. A dangerous combination.

He remembered the strong hand on his shoulders as his father had knelt to tell him that he had to leave them. He remembered the sad eyes of his mother, eyes that always held sadness in them. He remembered his sister too puzzled to understand what it meant, that their father was going away. He remembered thinking that he wanted to be on the big ship and he wanted to go with his father. The memories flickered and jolted, there were still gaps........

And he remembered hiding in a crate of kindling wood, that was hauled up onto the big ship with the fancy sails, that evening, as it was getting ready to go. He'd wriggled into it as it was loaded, as small seals were very good at wriggling. But to get out, he'd needed fingers to untie the cords of the crate, so he'd shed his skin. It had taken a while to get loose. And he was wondering why the ship was rocking so much, then thought, I feel a storm, but it's not a right storm, it's wrong somehow. The bad weather had already started.

He remembered men shouting and rushing about, calling in the language he knew and a stranger, coarser one, as he went looking on the deck to find his father, his sealskin wrapped around his shoulder and hip, because there were elders here and he wasn't going to get barked at for not showing his clan. It had been very confusing, but he knew his father had found him; he'd been afraid but his father had found him, and held him close. There were more gaps, there was a horrible sound, like something unnatural shrieking. Then the storm had struck, in all its fury, and the ship snapped like kindling. A part of the broken mast had smashed into his head, knocking him into the water, and that strike had robbed him of his memories and put the scar on his forehead. There had been so little time....and whatever else had happened, he had lost that as well. It was a memory full of fear, the open sea and so much danger. Death had been so close.

He next knew strong hands holding him, and a coarse oilskin coat wrapped around him, as the grizzled face of the man who had raised him as a son looked at him. It had been the start of a new life, at once similar and very different. He had to learn a lot, but the man who taught him was no less a father than the one he had lost. And he still didn't know what had happened to his skin. Who had it, if they even knew what it was......
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Awakened at the end of his dream, it all remained clear in Dorian's thoughts followed by other flashes of memories, tastes, scents, sensations. Next to him, his wife stirred, stretched and opened her eyes. A broad smile lit up her face at the sight of Dorian and she snuggled next to him, enjoying the closeness as she gradually came fully awake.

As the time for the festival drew near, a merman approached the cave and called out to the pair, asking if they were ready to go. Joining him, they made their way to the party where hundreds of mer had already gathered with music and singing already in full swing. On a dias of what appeared to be cut marble, the merqueen sat. Off to the right were another pair of seats that Dorian and his wife were shown to.

"Anything that is needed, we will provide. Only ask and we will go," the merman said and with a smile turned and placed himself a short distance away. Closest to Dorian, the merqueen nodded at him and smiled.

"Good rest had you? And our city you saw much I am told," she said, the tone of her voice suggesting approval. "Visit us again we hope you will be able to do. Above the home, waves begin to grow quieter as storm wanes. Soon, safe it will be for you to return to your home. Festival is for now though. Enjoy! Eat, dance, sing..." she smiled and waved her hand in the diretion of the center floor which had emptied out.

A group of fourteen mer, a match of male and female, swam out in the center and hovered until a melody started. Strong and surging, there was also a touch of melancholy in the tune. Intense as it was, the music's depth was enhanced as the mer started to swim in patterns of swirls, twists and turns. Very stately and yet lively, it had a very dignified yet passionate feel about it as the pairs wove intricate patterns around one another, maintaining eye contact as much as possible while they danced.

After some time, other mer joined in on the outside of the circle, some swimming in similar patterns, others ones that were entirely different with children as well as adult mer. As the dance was opened to everyone, mer began to come by to greet the queen and guests, thanking Dorian for his help to the people. Some offered gifts: shells or colorful stones, bags woven of lakegrasses and clothing very similar to what they'd been given to wear.

One older mer came by, hair long and gray with a cheerful twinkle in his green eyes. "Mother that was yours I knew," he smiled at Dorian. "Strong woman and brave. After news of storm, disappear she did but lives still I believe to be true. Hopes that you find her travel with you, young selkie."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

At Maranda's smile, Dorian returned one of his own. She was happy. That was a great thing, and the joy of her joy made him happy. He didn't know what to do with the gifts; he didn't wear anything not useful, and he had no real needs not met by his gear or his learned skills. So he let Maranda handle that, but looked puzzled by all the fuss.

Dorian regarded the elderly Mer with a searching, serious gaze, taking in the comment. He took a while in answering, as his mind wasn't the swiftest. It was a consideration in the right question to ask - but sometimes, his slow ways produced good results, if he had the time to think. "A dhuine," he said, using the word for Sir, "Where did you last see my mother ?"

It was a place to start looking. He couldn't remember. He'd been lost as soon as the big ship went out, he'd never been out that far in the water - and with no way to sense the currents and the ways of the water, stuck in a crate in the hold, a little grey spotted seal pup with blue eyes.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Lost in the excitement of newness and people, Maranda didn't notice Dorian's reticence in dealing with things but happily talked with the mer who came, thanking them and receiving the small gifts. Nothing save the woven collars was really worth much, handmade trinkets and pretties, but the warmth and friendliness behind the offers was hard to miss. Maranda didn't understand why she and Dorian were so honored, but didn't spend much time pondering it, enjoying the fellowship instead.

The old merman smiled, "Where, ask you? Home of Selkies, of course it was. Rocky place of your birth where this water empties into the great waters and tall earth meets the Luna. Far from here it is and long has it been since the journey I made. Dragon's there have grown and danger there is great. Live there no more, Selkies moved into the great waters."

From nearby, a merwoman with long blonde tresses and vivid green eyes spoke up. "Not know that Rona mother of Dorian, with Selkies is. Lived with Lord Kennard near the water she did, not far from here, near human city built to meet the waters but not human city of Dorians. After death of Lord, hidden away she was and not since have we seen or heard of her."

"They must mean Roque d`Ancourt," Maranda spoke up smiling. Just a couple days ride from the Court and all the fancy nobles houses built not far up the shore so they have fancy views, at least south of the city. North is where the docks for business are. There's only small docks in the south for sailing and fancy fishing boats for the rich," she reached out and took Dorian's hand.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian had never gone there, that he recalled, but it was a place to begin looking. He also wanted to row across the lake to talk to one of Old Drake's friends, should the man still live, and ask some questions. Somewhere out there was a family, and a skin that belonged to him. He nodded, staying quiet, as these were big thoughts and needed most of his mind to process them. "When the spring comes, I may have to start looking," he said finally. "Thank you for telling me where to start."

There was no point in making plans for next week; he didn't know what sort of mess awaited him ashore. There could be weeks worth of work to do there. And winter was coming. You had to prepare ahead for such things. If the lake froze over, ice-fishing was the only option - and that was once it was frozen with a solid crust. Working hard now would mean less hungry, cold days ahead. Coming out into the Spring fat and sleek, ready to work under the sun again.

And the growing amount of stuff - well, he didn't really own anything for the sake of something pretty. He sold what he found that might fetch a good price, and lived very simply. But now he was married, and Maranda liked pretty things, so he accepted her ways with the ease of a Drake. She was happy, and that was paramount. They would attend the feast here, and he would try to puzzle out how to help the Mer when they went back to land. Magical stuff......hmm.

Return to “On the Water Archive”