Hunting the Hunter... Hafne, Chyril 22nd late ET

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

For one thing Draydis was thankful, and that was for the blessing of the Mother. She had given him the abilities he had with his bow, and he was certain that She watched over the fight this night. To Her, he owed his life and the lives of those around him.

Dray quickly found Thrandil, and was happy to see him standing with only minor scratches. The commander was in roughly the same shape. Since he had opted to use his bow for the entire combat, he had managed to avoid most of the direct fighting.

He immediately began to bind wounds as best he could given the likely short time they had to work. With each wound he touched, he whispered a prayer to the Mother to close the wound and allow the bearer of it to be able to fight once again. They would need every sword arm they could find this night.

"Guardsmen, our circle held, and we successfully stood against greater numbers. Well done. It is likely that our enemy will expect the same from us, so it may not work as well again."

He thought for a moment...

"Does anybody have oil? If we were to cover the bodies of these wolves with oil, we could set them ablaze during the fight. The wolves have excellent night vision, so a sudden burst of light would temporarily hamper their vision. It could be enough of a surprise that we could use it to our advantage."

Draydis thought about the wounded, and seemed to almost read Thran's mind. "The wounded can form a tight inner circle and use pole arms and bows to fight from our rear. Those that can still wield a blade shall form an outer circle and engage the enemy as they close within striking range. As before, we must fight not only to protect ourselves, but also to aid those to each of our sides."

He looked around to see if anybody had other ideas...all the while continuing to help bandage wounds.

"If there are other ideas, everybody is equal here. In battle, we fight as a unit, thus every opinion and idea is worth consideration for it could be the idea that saves us all."
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley nodded to the Adhiel whom had assisted him with the wolf.

In the brief respite he found a guardsman, mauled and bloodied from a vicious melee with their foes.
"Oh, damn..."
The achadhiel cursed and ushered the man to rest. He had some nettles on his person but the rest of it and the agrimonia were still in the pack - he'd sort through the gear if he had the time to tend to another of the wounded, but then again he might not. Instead, improvise. He took a swig of the whiskey again and sloshed it around in his mouth, as though gauging one of its' properties.
"Relax there, friend, I'm here to help. This might not 'alf sting..."
Exposing the wounds from the shredded cloths, he dashed the spirits over the bloodied flesh. He watched the liquid wash the injuries with mournful eyes.
"Hurts, aye, and I would'hae wished fer something stronger, but the whiskey'll clean them wounds up nice enough."
He cut his scarf up into suitable strips of cloth and, waiting for the alcohol to dry a little, began binding what he could of the guardsmans' wounds. Hopefully it would do for now; he had no illusions of himself as a physician or true healer, but if it worked until they were able to tend the wounded in full, it was good enough for him.

As it was, he gave himself the same treatment for what injuries he could tell he had, then wiped down the blade of his claymore on his sleeve while he listened to his commander.
An idea formed, slowly but surely, in his mind. He looked at the flask again; 'twas very fine whiskey, and a shame...
Ye daft bugger! There'll be plenty more if you survive the night, how's that sound to ye, selfish prat?
The strength of his own conscience surprised him.

"Commander," he said, approaching the adhiel. "I've flint and steel, but can't get a fire started that quick. I've no oil, but some spirits... whiskey, in fact. Islay whiskey, which, to be sure, while still very good whiskey, you can use to clean spoons. Make's one hell of a flash when you pour it on an open flame. So I imagine, even though we only have a bit, if we could pour it all when the wolves next charge it would work to our benefit - provided we had a fire started, and weren't looking at it ourselves, o'course. Sir."
Last edited by Craghley on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray nodded at the man with the name that he would probably never be able to pronounce correctly. "Very well, my friend. I can flame an arrow and target the wolf that it is poured on when the new wolves get close. I will call out so we will all know to divert our eyes briefly."

He thought for a moment further.

"Actually, let's put the wolf in the center of our circle. With the flames at our backs, our eyes will be unaffected. It will make it harder to dodge around the defensive circle, but it is better for our vision...and it won't require a carefully placed shot to light it either."

Dray was thankful for the man and his whiskey.

"After this battle, men, we will all find much more whiskey to celebrate this sacrifice of Craghley's,"

With that, the commander pulled a dead wolf to the center of the circle, after slitting its throat and stabbing its chest several times to ensure it was dead first. The other wolves were pulled into a rough circle so they would be just a few paces outside of their defensive range. He hoped that the carcasses would at least slow down the new attackers...

Once finished, Draydis checked his supply of arrows. It would do him no good to run out in the middle of the fight unexpectedly.

His eyes cast about the night for signs of another wave of attackers. "Ready yourselves, guardsmen, our enemy likely is preparing for another attack. Let's form our two circles so we can be prepared." There were several that were wounded badly...and most had cuts and bruises. Another round like the last one would likely end the Guard. But, his faith remained firm. The Guard was not on the battlefield this evening by themselves.

Draydis watched as the circles were formed and hoped that Craghley and Thrandil followed suit. Most of the wounded had been treated as best they could on a battlefield with little time to spare. He hoped that the men were ready for one more round...

With the tip of his short sword, Draydis drew a circle around the position where the Guardsmen would fight once again. "This is the holy circle of the Mother. Have faith in Her, and She will bless you. If you have doubt, cast your thoughts to Her. No matter what happens, I know that She is here with us. Together, our faith will keep our circle safe. Remain steadfast in your faith, Guards, and we will be victorious!

He let his eyes stare into the night surrounding them as he re-took his position in the outer circle of melee fighters. His words rang out into the night's silence, loud and defiant against the dreadful sound of the Hunter's horn. There was a definite boldness in Dray's voice, as he knew that the Mother had blessed the fight this night.

"Come Hunter! I challenge you to come without your pack if you dare. You hide behind the wolves because you are afraid to fight an honest battle. Come! Be your own champion and stand against one of our own. Winner shall have command over the loser. I challenge this against your honor, if you have any!"

His ears and eyes then focused on the sounds of the night; hoping to pick up the noise made from the advance of their enemy. If the horn sounded again, the guardsman wanted to be able to determine the location and distance of the sound...

An arrow was at the ready. Any sign of an enemy was all he needed...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Aye, sire. But they'd better charge soon."
Craghley examined the wolf's corpse. At least Draydis had made deadly sure the thing lived no more. Yet there was a problem; with the wolf at the centre, any Guardsman standing between the fire and an oncoming wolf would effectively block the flare which would otherwise harm their foes' nightvision.
He rushed back to gather his shattered spear, and also snatched his skillet. Much of the haft was still in one piece; he left the flask to drain into the copper cooking pot (pouring it out from the flask would be too slow) he stabbed the spear viciously into the ground at the centre of their position, hammering it in a couple of times with the pommel of his sword. As it was, the wolf was probably to large and heavy to balance properly atop the spear. He covered the skillet with its' lid so as to stop the air sapping the whiskey's strength. Craghley frowned.
"Stand back."
A couple of doughty swings of the sword and the body was minus a head and its' limbs.
With a grunt, he hefted the torso up. Using the exposed gullet he impaled the corpse over the spearshaft; it seemed balanced enough not to tip over or break the spear. As it was the thing projected only about four or five feet above the ground.
"The bonfire's ready when you are, sir," he reported to Draydis. Craghley poured a smidgeon of whiskey over the wolf, hoping the thick pelt would retain enough alcohol to ignite upon contact with fire. He gave the skillet to one of the wounded Guards at the centre. "When Draydis shoots his fire arrow into the corpse, pour this - not too fast! - over the flames and avert yer eyes."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"With the wolf in the center of our inner circle, it is easier to just ignite it with flint and steel...that way we won't have to rely on my shot for the bright light to blind the wolves."

Dray smiled at Craghley.

"Great idea, sir, about elevating the corpse. Glad to have you in the Guard."

He smiled and then turned his attention back to the land around them. It was likely that the wolves were out there...perhaps stealthily sneaking towards them in an effort to gain surprise.

The adhiel had an arrow at the ready should he spot any sign of the wolves. The night made their bodies blend very well, so Draydis focused instead on watching the shadows to see if they shifted positions at all. It was not perfect, but hopefully it would allow him to spot the wolves from a distance...

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil moved into place as Draydis ushered them into the circles again. Noticing how the achadhiel was turning into somewhat of a tactician here, he grinned. "I'm opposite you, Draydis. If something gets too close, call upon me and I'll see what I'm able to do. Krahlay, very good job. You'll get far if you keep to be as promising as you are now." he said, and jabbed his swords into the ground once more when in position.

Kneeling, he rubbed his hands with dirt for extra grip on his sword, since the sweat on his hand could make it somewhat slippery. As Dray started about the prayers, the Lieutenant was very short to the Mother. "Mother praise these fighters. They honor you and all that you protect." he said aloud. Yet he started muttering his own prayer to Pan.

"Pan, guide my swords. Give me strength and above all the passion to fight a good fight. More blood will be shed tonight, make it an offer to you. Make me fearsome, even to the beasts that come upon us soon. Make me a warrior in your vision." he muttered and closed his eyes for a second.

"UNITED WE STAND! DIVIDED THEY'LL FALL!" he shouted as he opened his eyes.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Aye brother, and you know I have your back as well."

He looked about the circle to make sure they were all prepared and properly armed.

"During the fight, keep talking, Guards. If you are in trouble, call out for help before it is too late. We must all fight as one to succeed."

~Mother, these brave souls fight to complete your mission. They fight with honor, diligence, duty, and to protect those that are too weak to do so. We stand and fight knowing that those we protect may not ever even know our sacrifice, yet we do so with pride. You alone gave us our abilities to fight as we do, so it is to you that we offer our thanks and lives. I pray that you keep watch over our circle of faith and those that fight by my side within it. My weapons are yours to direct, and my heart is yours to hold. My lady, my Mother, I pray this to you, in your honor and glory.~

His eyes continued to scan the darkness and his ears were tuned to pick up even the slightest sounds coming from the area around them...

The fight was brewing once again...he could feel it in the air...

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

One final blast of the horn sounded over the land of Dort and the pack was there a bow shot off. Somewhere between a dozen and a score waited all blended into the night and betrayed only by slavering fangs. Behind them stood a figure cloaked in the night like his pack. The Hunter towered over his pack. All that could be seen was the bone white of a great spread of antlers, the gleaming head of his great hunting spear, and the dull brass of his horn.

A deep voice rolled over them from the darkness of the Hunter's face. "If you cannot best my pack, you are not worthy to challenge me!" He thundered. With a gesture of his horn the pack surged forward to claim the flesh of the tasty adhiel.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran looked up as he heard the horn, "Ready!". The words the Hunter spoke, sounded confident, but it was fear that bellowed them. If he didn't fear us, he would've taken the challenge.

"Loose your arrows!" he bellowed as the wolves started their attack. "Brace for impact on the staffs! Warn when the fire is lit!" he said, his sword ready in his hands to impale the first wolf coming towards him.

Pan hear my prayer. Give me the power to keep these men from death. Injuries can be healed, but don't let them die. I'll fight in your name, bring justice to the world, and protect your followers... If you will just help me save this day, guide my sword and body and destroy this curse on Dort. Hear my prayer, let me feel it if you have listened...
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"You hide behind your pack, so you are not worthy to fight the Guard, coward!"

She was present here. Draydis knew this for certain, for the Mother Crone had sent them along this path. From the time he had met Emrik and Thrandil, to finding the Hunter and his pack...She guided them.

"Mother, we stand within your circle. Your power can destroy these dark hounds and allow us to end the reign of the Hunter."

With his prayer uttered, the tattooed guardsman began to take in a deep breath. He tasted the air and all the particles of nature that were within it. He brought in every bit, hoping to capture the pure essence of the Mother within his lungs. It was held within his body for a few moments...

As the pack began to charge, he unleashed the breath with explosively loud words. "AND NOW YOUR PACK DIES!" The words were full of fury and determination. They roared forth with power and were backed by the faith of the aspiring dark paladin. He knew not if he could channel the power of his faith in such a way, but Draydis desired to unload every ounce of Her power he could muster at the dark wolves that charged their position. He knew that She could allow him to do so. Regardless, the faith of the adhiel would not be shaken. He knew that She watched over them at all times. Her protection would save them all this night.

The adhiel furiously unleashed almost all of his remaining arrows at the hounds as they made their charge. As before, vital points were targeted. It would be a waste of action to hit their skulls or legs, as the arrow strikes would be useless. All but one from his quiver was fired at the hounds. The last one would be saved for later. For it, Draydis had a specific purpose.

The Hunter had his great spear, and Draydis would have one arrow...

With the last one left in his quiver, his father's bow was put back over his shoulder and a pair of short swords were drawn. "Brace for battle men!"

As the wolves made their charge, Draydis knew that direct force would only get them all injured. The battle strategy of the adhiel had always been one of mobility.

"Dodge when they strike! Tumble to the side and strike for the bellies! Stay nimble and mobile, for their charge will make it hard for them to change direction!"

Dray shouted out the words to his allies...to his brothers in arms...his brothers in faith. He cared about each one of them. He vowed to use his blades to defend every last one of them if he could.

He prepared his stance for the fight. He stood as if he was waiting to take the brunt of their charge with his very body. At the last moment, he would tumble to the side, and lash out with his blades in an effort to separate the wolves' guts from their hides.

He and his blades would become a twirling dance of fury. He had seen the old leaders of the Guard perform their sword dance. It had been something that Draydis had practiced many times in his free time.

Just as the wolves were about a fourth of the way to the circle, Dray shouted, "Light the fire!" It would take a few moments for the fire to start, but hopefully the whiskey would allow the fire to burst quickly. If so, the eyes of the wolves would hopefully not be able to see the guardsmen. It would be something that would give the warriors an edge they need.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The wolves were strong and swift but above all they were smart. They charged not in a straight line but zigging and zagging. Arrows thudded into the dirt inches from their targets or bounced off tough bone and hide. A few, mostly loosed from the bow of Draydis, punched though ribs and sent the great beasts tumbling into the dust. Their fellows merely bounded over the bodies without breaking stride.

Then the pack reached the appointed place and the call was given out to light the fire. The acrid smell of burning hair filled the air as the spirit soaked corpses came alight. The initial light was feeble but the addition of a pan full of Islay whiskey sent up a blinding flare.

The Emerald guardsman whipped back their heads as the pained whimpers of the wolves reached their ears. Now the arrows of the Guard found their targets and a mere six wolves survived the killing field to leap over the barricade of their fallen fellows. Two died impaled on staves and put out of their misery by Craghley's blade. The other four died on the whirling blades of Draydis, Thrandil and the rest of the Emerald guard as the whirling dance of blades swiftly cut them down to size.

Throughout all this the Hunter watched impassively. His pack was weak. He sees this now. Time to claim another. The Hunter strode towards the circle of Adhiel swiftly but unconcerned.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Thank you, Mother. Your presence is felt here with us!" The words were surprisingly warm, coming from Draydis and did not have the usual cold edge to them. Those that heard his thanks knew that his faith and love for the Mother was true.

The pack had been bested. The guardsmen had fought well. They had little experience with fighting as a unit, but they all battled with heart. The last of the wolves were on the ground bleeding out, and the Hunter approached.

A sole warrior, he was.... He seemingly cared not about the odds he faced. The Hunter was either stupid or skilled. Draydis decided it was best to consider him as a highly lethal opponent, as underestimating the enemy always led to defeat.

"He is one, but do not let that fool you men!"

His eyes focused on the Hunter; watching his every move. Draydis expected a deception from this opponent, for it is exactly what the adhiel would do if he faced many enemies at once. Dirty fighting would be expected here...

"Circle around him men! Strike from multiple sides simultaneously to keep him off balance. If you are wounded, stay back and use your bows. Everybody, keep your eyes and ears sharp for hidden enemies! We do not have victory yet, so do not relax your defenses!"

With that, the guardsman tested his grip on his short blades. The hilts fit well into his hands, and he knew he could trust the swords to do their job.

A lone arrow remained in his quiver. It's purpose was known, but the time it would find flight had yet to be determined. The guardsman had already selected the target...the Hunter's black heart. It seemed an appropriate place for an arrow fired from his father's bow and guided by the Mother's touch to land.

He hoped the others would understand the purpose of fighting in a circle around their enemy. They would be able to strike from different sides of the circle all at once, and hopefully catch their enemy's flank undefended. Of course, he had a spear, that would allow him to defend large areas by swinging in wide arcs. It was a tactic taught by the old guard in their bladed staff lessons. For that situation, Draydis planned on attacking the haft of the spear with his blades in hopes of cutting the Hunter's weapon in half.

Whatever happened, this would be a fight to remember...

Draydis knew that a warrior with an angered heart would not be able to properly focus on battle. "Hunter, your puppies lay burning by our hands. You said we had to best your pack to be considered worthy to fight you. However, we must now wonder if you are worthy to even lick the filth from our boots if you consider those weak hounds to be a suitable test for your opponents. Tell me, are those horns part of your helmet, or did your mom screw wildlife for a living?"

His words were no longer warm. They now had a very sharp edge to them. A wicked smile was on Dray's face. The true battle was about to begin, and he could already feel the excitement of it coursing through his body...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

If Craghley had been scared before, he know knew that the charging pack of stolid wolves posed a sight that he had no wish of seeing again. His bow remained by his back, still unused - no time to string, let alone learn how to use it. He could only check his stance, the grip on his blade, and count the fleeting seconds.
A shout came from Draydis, another in response. This is it, throught Craghley, squeezing his eyes shut tight. In seconds the wolves would be upon them. What was taking so long? He blind save for his minds' eye, watching in horror, as a grey blur flew out of the shadows, jaws inevitably snapping shut to tear out the meagre flesh of his throat...
A light flash turned the skin of his eyelids orange, and the image was gone. They opened, to reveal a disoriented force of wolves. Arrows that had previously and consistently failed to make a scratch now thudded into coarsely furred bodies. Other were lost to spears, some to the expert blades of the officers, yet a couple more finished off by Craghley's mercifully sharp sword.

Something rose in his chest, exploding on its way out. A raucious, overbearing burst of laughter errupted from his throat. A victory! And so sound a one it seemed, at that! The Hunter had sent his minions to the slaughter, but truly unaware of who was the true prey of the night.
Speaking of the Hunter...

He - it? - now followed up. That shadowy wight, despite the darkness, did not seem to display any emotion at all. If he had seen his pack slaughtered and had not been affected by it... asides from being incredibly callous, it was a terrible thing to behold.
Following Draydis' commands, he resumed a ready stance and carefully joined the guardsmen in fanning out around the figure. Some he saw notching arrows into their bows.

Are they mad? They must be sure of their shot, or some of us on the other side of the Hunter are going to end up with a "freindly" arrow in our chests.[/b]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran, who by now had patterns of wolfblood all over his face and arms, pulled his sword out of a wolf and returned to his bladed staff. Looking over the battlefield while he took the staff back, he saw the men relieved, even though their commander told them it wasn't over yet.

The Hunter was an imposing sight, but the young Adhiel had to keep his cool. He didn't have to try, he just had to DO it. If not for himself, he did it as an example to the men with him. The new Dortenese guardsman had done great in battle. He was a valuable addition to the Emerald Guard already.

As Draydis issued his commands, he fell back to his brother, stabbing the bladed end of his staff into a wolfs head here and there.

"I'll be by your side, whatever happens, as a brother should, Draydis. I will not let harm come to you or these men and I will do anything about it to achieve that. Long as you know that, you'll be fine. Taquar needs you." the young officer said to his friend and brother, as he kept a close watch at the guards fanning out to either side of them. The blade was now pointed towards the Hunter, and both had about the same reach. If he had a chance, he would mark his target with a poke of his staff.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The taunts and jibes from Draydis meant nothing to the Hunter. They were words: transient and meaningless. It a few hundred years all that heard the words would be food for the plants. The eternal hunt would go on.

The wounded men at the makeshift rampart of wolf corpses struggled to find a good position to take aim with their bows. The rest fanned out to try and surround the Hunter and in response the Hunter ducked low and charged at the guardsman coming up on his left flank. Those that could take a shot at the Hunter's exposed back did so but he had an uncanny knack for stepping to the side at just the right moment to turn a solid hit into a graze along the skin.

The Hunter bore down on the end guardsman with Craghley the next warrior down the line. Those without bows rushed forward to bring their weapons to bear but not before the Hunter could make his first strike. He grasped his spear like a quarterstaff and jammed the points of the guard's swords into the dirt with a downward sweep of his spear. Then the Hunter lunged forward and drove his antlers into the guard's chest. The wounds were many but not deep yet the guardsman dropped to the ground writhing. Craghley saw black fur sprout from the wounds and heard the the adhiel's bones crack as his body changed.

Yes, this new pack will be strong, thought the Hunter as he began to swing his spear in wide arcs to keep his opponents back.
Last edited by Tristam on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked to Thrandil. "Distract him, but do not get close. I need a moment to prepare a shot."

The guardsman saw in horror as one of their own was struck down by the horns of the Hunter. Dray had no idea that it would mark the creation of yet another dark wolf. The Hunter had revealed his attack strategy none the less. He led with his spear, and finished with the horns. Draydis vowed to remember this should he have to cross blades with the Hunter.

The short swords were put away as Draydis pulled out his father's bow. He knew that the Mother was with them that night, and he knew that Her power flowed through that weapon, for it had been used to test the leafs in their faith to the Mother and worthiness to stand as Emerald Guardsmen. His hand that gripped the bow held firmly against the molded grip. His hand fit perfectly, and years of use enabled the adhiel warrior to use the bow as if it were an extension of his own body.

He focused on the Hunter, making sure that he would not be caught in his attacks. As he watched, a silent prayer to the Mother was uttered...

~Mother, I know you are here with us. I know you are here within me. I have felt Your power and presence, and know that only with You will we succeed this night. I have but one arrow left...one chance. But, I know that with Your guidance, it can be the one shot that gives us the chance to remove this evil creature from Your world. I put all my trust and faith in You, for I know that it is You that controls the cycle of life. I beg You to give me the ability to help end this perversion of nature and protect the lives of these men that fight with me. I humbly ask this of You as your faithful servant.~

His bow was readied with the final arrow in his quiver. Time moved slowly as the shaft was pulled from his quiver and the arrow readied against the string. His fingers curled confidently around the string as his draw backwards began. This was the moment that he had waited for. The master archer and his Mother against the master hunter. Carefully, the guardsman took aim. The battle was quickly unfolding, but it was not the time to take a hasty shot. This one had to count.

He knew that his skill alone would not be enough to best the Hunter. One such as the Hunter had not survived for so many years by being stupid. The Hunter now faced an entire unit of trained warriors...all without concern for the odds. It was because the Hunter had great skill. His shot would have to pierce the black heart of his enemy. It was there that Dray aimed his shot...the Hunter's heart.

As Draydis steadied his bow for the shot, he allowed his eyes to close. It was a sign of faith. He knew that his skill alone would be insufficient to drop this enemy. He trusted the Mother, and knew that She alone would allow him to make the shot. He attempted to allow his faith to guide his aim as the Hunter dashed about the battlefield...hoping that it would continue to guide his arrow towards the Hunter's heart.

His father had always taught him to hold his breath just before releasing the arrow, as it would help to further improve his aim. One final breath was drawn in, and it was held. The chest of Draydis became like rock, not moving except to allow his aim to shift as the Mother guided him.

He waited until it felt right...the aim of his bow changed as he felt compelled by his faith. His eyes remained closed. The Mother was in control now...it was Her shot.

He knew not where the Hunter was, nor where his arrow was aimed. Draydis relied only on the Mother, for only She knew how to defeat this enemy.

Slowly, his fingers relaxed, allowing the string to release the arrow without interfering with its course...

TWANG!

The arrow took to flight with a sudden burst of speed. As the arrow began to head towards its destination, his eyes remained closed for a moment longer.

"HAVE FAITH IN OUR MOTHER! SHE IS WITH US!"

The words exploded from Dray's lungs as his held breath burst forth from his throat. They were full of confidence and echoed through the night's darkness. It was as if Draydis was trying to fill the very air with the faith that backed his words. He prayed that his allies would feel the warmth of the Mother and fight with renewed strength and determination.

In a flash, his eyes were open, and his short swords were in his hands. His father's bow rested across his back once again where it could be a constant reminder that he was not fighting alone this night. This battle would be finished up close and personal.

A quick scan of the battle field was given before the guardsman would act again...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The Hunters' spear lashed out at the man next to Craghley. So he stepped forward, alongside the Hunter but too cautious to come particularly close, and swung his sword upwards to intercept the spear by the shaft.
His sword, however, missed entirely. Craghley watched the Hunter evade the strike in a move that made no sense to his untrained eyes, and his spear continued down to disarm the Guardsman. The antlers were another matter.
The sight of the fur sprouting from the mans' chest was terrible; it was clear he was also held in great pain and fear. Craghley could not decide whether to put the man out of his misery, or...
Perhaps the cure lies in the Hunters' death.
Craghley followed the movements of the spear, but then remembered the words of his father as he taught his son to use the sword.

Look at the eyes, laddie. The weapon is but a tool; ye cannae tell its' intent. Instead, read yer foes' body, especially his eyes.

He couldn't see his eyes, but there was enough to go by. The direction of the head, the path of the spear, the tensing of certain muscles, the stance. The Hunter weaved that spear about effectively, keeping them all back. But Craghley knew something about fighting when the odds weren't exactly stacked all your way. He tried to make sense of the Hunters' pattern...
As he observed, he felt the time was right. He'd left his back unprotected long enough, and the fastest, most powerful way to bring his spear back towards them would be to continue the swing and spin clockwise...

I don't have complete faith in mesel', but least I do in you, Mother.

The prayer echoed in his head at the same time as Draydis'. Craghley stepped forward and swung his sword mightily, praying by the beats of his heart, to shear that wicked tip off the end of the spear if it went along the predicted path.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil looked at his best friend, and nodded. "Let your ancestors and the Mother lead you, Dray, as Pan has led me before." he told his brother as he turned about, facing the Hunter.

He was a bit shocked as he saw the fur sprouting from the wounds, and his heart went thumping even faster. He felt the rush of the moment in his veins, in his every limb. This was the time, there was no second chance to get rid of this... beast.

He made a few short jabs and swings with his staff for a moment to get more feeling with it. "Let's get it on, Hunter. You'll go down tonight." he said, silently praying to Pan.

Pan, there's one chance and my brother needs it. Let me help my friends as well as the people of Dort. Show me the path to take to be a warrior in thine eye, show me how I can slow this misfortunate creature down. Lead me to victory tonight.

With that, he stepped forward and tried to swing his bladed staff in small circles towards the fiend, now and then jabbing it toward him. Maybe, together with Craghley he would be able to get enough time out of this for his brother to hit him.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Craghley watched the Hunter's spear swing this way and that fending off sword and arrows alike from the crowd of guardsmen. Twisted though the Hunter was his powers came from nature and nature was ever a thing of repeating pattern. Seeing his moment Craghley swung his sword with all the force he could muster at the haft of the spear.

Thrandil too saw his chance and as Craghley's sword swung down, Thrandil's bladed staff lashed forward to slide under the raised spear. The Hunter swiftly realized his vulnerable position and with a growl of effort his spear was thrust back down. Craghley's sword bit deep into the wood as did Thrandil's blade and for just a flicker they pinned the Hunter's spear against his palms. A flicker was all that Draydis needed.

"HAVE FAITH IN OUR MOTHER! SHE IS WITH US!" Draydis called and the arrowhead shone as if all the light of the moon gathered there. As the Hunter stood there pinned, his gaze fell on Draydis. There was no hatred in his eyes only the respect accorded a better hunter.

The arrow pierced cloth, flesh and bone to lodge in the heart. He went flying backward from Craghley and Thrandil to lay flat out on the earth. The Hunter lay still but they all could see that no blood poured from the wound. Calmly the Hunter raised one hand and grasped the arrow's shaft. With a grunt of effort, he pulled it from his chest and held it aloft. Upon the arrow has his heart, softly glowing with the light of the Mother. "Let the victor claim the spoils of the Hunt." He intoned.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The arrow released. He shouted to the Mother. His eyes opened. The light that strained his eyes told him that the Mother had heard his plea for Her help. Without being able to see the arrow, he knew the fight was over...and then it was.

The Hunter held aloft his heart for them to claim as the trophy of their hunt.

But it was not their prize to claim. The Mother had given Draydis Her blessing with his shot. Unknown to Draydis, Thran had prayed to Pan for His blessing. The Gods of light had won the day...not a guardsman, not a weapon, not tactics. So to the Mother and Pan, they all had to be thankful first.

With that thought in mind, Draydis dropped to his knees.

"My Mother! I sing praises to You and Your glory! With your love and grace, we have survived the day and removed a darkness from our lands."

He looked over to the one guardsman that had fallen in battle. Draydis hoped that his transformation into a dark wolf had ceased and reversed. "Please calm his soul and restore his body."

Draydis stood once again and slowly approached the Hunter. He nodded for Thrandil to do the same.

Draydis used the end of his bow to trace a circle for the Mother at the side of the Hunter where he stood.

Once his brother stood next to the Hunter, Draydis dropped to his knees within his circle and held out his bow arm and placed his hand upon the heart of the Hunter.

He waited for Thrandil to do the same...

"Mother, I beg you to deliver this Hunter to Your arms. I pray that You will allow his soul to find peace with You. Please allow him to restore his name in Your eyes and forgive him for his past acts."

He looked to his brother who had constantly been a friend, an ally, a brother, and gave him a smile.

"Brother, a heart represents many things. It drives us with emotions, it holds our feelings, it hides our secrets, and it defines our character. Without heart, we could not live. Without heart, battles would not be won, relationships would not be held as sacred, and emotions would not exist."

He looked into the eyes of the Hunter with respect and kindness, then turned back to Thrandil.

"My Brother, you are the calm where I bring the storm. You are the rational thought when I want to charge into the fray. You search for the truth where I demand retribution. Separate we are two opposite forces of nature...together we are whole. If this heart is to be claimed, it is with you that I would share it. May your light guide us along the correct path, and may my darkness keep us safe when we have opposition. May my blades and bow cut down those that would not listen to your words of wisdom and reason. I pray that the Mother Crone will stand watch over us, and may your Pan do the same. In the past, we have always shared the hunt...may it always be so forever more."

He looked up to the heavens and spoke to the Mother.

"My Mother, bless this heart we hold in our hands. Remove any ill feelings it holds within. If there is evil within this organ, cast it out and replace it with Your power and wisdom."

For a moment, the general was silent. He focused his mind on the heart and attempted to channel his thoughts and feelings of the Mother through his arms and into the heart itself.

For he wanted it to be pure when he consumed his portion of it. Draydis knew that Thrandil would want to utter some prayers and words of his own, but was ready to take his half of the heart and consume it when his brother was ready.

When that time arrived, Draydis cleared his mind of all thoughts other than those of the Mother. "Mother Crone, I seek only to become your servant. The Howler once told me in the woods of Taquar that a paladin was a creation of man, and that instead I should desire to be Your Champion of the Woods. Mother, I beg of you...allow me to be Your Champion. My bow, my blades, and my life are Yours to shape as You would have them...my Mother."

And then he ate his half of the heart. He ate slowly...tasting every bit of it. Allowing its flavor to fill his mouth and body. It was not a meal to eat in haste. It was one to draw out, for this would likely be one that would change him for the rest of his life...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran had to put all his strength into his staff to make sure Craghley and he could hold him, hoping Draydis wouldn't miss the one shot he got, for it was his last arrow. As the bright light shot past him, Thran knew what had happened. "Thank you, Pan. Thank you, Mother." he muttered as the Hunter was thrown back.

Thran looked at his brother and he knew what they should do. Every battle in Dort they had prayed, each to his own deity. They had not won because they were good fighters, they had won for they were blessed by divine entities.

Thran dropped to one knee, keeping his staff upright in front of him, his eyes closed. "Oh Pan and Mother, who called on your disciples to venture all and to win all men, wolf and wolfman to you, grant that we, chosen members of the Emerald Guard, have by our works and our ways dared all to win all and, in so doing, rendered special service to you and our fellow men in all regions of the world. Praise the Mother, and Praise to you, oh Horned One, who decided my recent battles for me."

Thrandil, already being close to the Hunter, got up as Draydis passed him and followed, dropping to his knees, drawing with his finger a circle in the sand, with two sticks on top, depicting a crude head with horns, his benefactor. Then he followed Dray's example and placed a hand on the heart of the Hunter while touching the drawing with a few fingertips.

"Pan, take this Hunter into your lands, show him the love you showed me, cleanse him of his sins. Let his past life roam free in the spiritworld and show Tazlure he was corrupted not by himself. Forgive him for his deeds and make the world forgive him in time."

He then looked at his brother, who was smiling at him, and started to grin, thinking back of how they once started out, sparring together, not friends, but colleagues, and what they had grown into over time.

"And so I am willing share with you, brother. Your words couldn't be more true. It shan't corrupt any more hearts than it has done already."

He then took one of his brother's knives as he was silent after his prayer. Using the knife to make a cross in the dirt, the lines representing chaos and order, he placed the heart upon it's intersection. "Pan, to you my half of the heart belongs. To you the blood flows of what has been a great warrior in mind and heart. Claim the blood, and make me part of yours. Make me a fighter in your image, as you aided me in battle and I now present you the spoils of this battle." the young General said as he cut the upper half off of the hart, blood seeping out.

He placed his fingers inside of it and traced figures over his face and arms. Then he touched Dray's forehead, tracing a smear of blood down over his nose, and one horizontal above his eyebrows. "Tonight, also Pan watched over you, my brother, albeit indirect."

He then closed the heart in his hands, whispering words of prayer and praise to Pan into them. Being born and raised as a hunter, he then opened his hands and took a bite of the heart. Every part of the beasts he caught had always been eaten or used, and the heart was for those who killed it. He didn't do it, but it was his brother's wish to share, and so he would share it in the way a true hunter would do. Now truly, after all that time, Draydis and he were one as they vowed to be.
Last edited by Thrandil on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

That was it. The Hunter was truly defeated, and Craghley would live to see the morn. The lad lowered his blade with trembling arms, hardly paying the wound on his arm any heed. Instead, he walked slowly forward without moving his eyes away from the Hunter. The Draydis brushed past, and the other Leafs were drawn around the body of their foe. Their commanders made a grim, if fitting spectacle - feasting off the heart. One could plainly see from the events of the night that it was no ordinary meal.

Whatever they were taking part in though, it was their place and not Craghley's. The Achadhiel Leaf reminded himself that he had duties to those as had bled with him that night - some much more than he had. Craghley yelled out to the Guardsmen (but not, of course, Thrandil and Draydis).

"Come, I need your help! Any as know their medicine, grab what supplies you can find!" Craghley himself ran back to his gear and rummaged around for herbs and such. He used what fire was still about the kindle another one, placing the skillet (now with water) over the heat to start making some basic concoctions from his herb collection. He worked on compresses made from his nettles, and also thousand leaves to help against infections from the notorious claws and teeth of the wolves. Bistort root was also produced for those who had dangerous bleeding.
Craghley worked in conjunction with the other Leafs that were willing and able to care for the wounded, even if it be simply by carrying bodies and applying bandages and salves. First and foremost, he callled out for the guard who had been wounded by the hunter to be brought by the fire.
Last edited by Craghley on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thrandil and Draydis

The meat they was made all the sweeter by the taste of victory. Energy coursed through their veins and sinews making them feel more alive than they had ever been. They felt like they could run forever and tire and smell things clear as pictures. They could taste the blood in their throats as their teeth sunk into the flesh of their prey. Blood dripped into the earth and soaked the earth. From that earth, grasses and grains took root growing strong and tall. Animals ate the grass and grew muscled and tall only to be brought down again by the hunters.

The cycle of life passed in front of their eyes and they understood the nature of the Hunter's power. Before it was corrupted the Hunt was a noble thing, the prey worthy of the name, and the blood spilled nourished the land and made it fertile. That power now flowed through them and through that power they heard the voice of the Mother.

"This is a moment to choose my Hunters." Her voice was as a spring rain falling. "For this first time the spirit f the Hunter has been split. Its bond to the land of Dort has been sundered. Wherever it goes will follow bloodshed and proeperity, death and abundant life. Take of this power what you will and bestow the rest on those you feel need it most. The right to choose is yours. Choose wisely."

-----

Craghley

The Leaves welcomed Craghley's call to distract them from the somewhat grisly sight of their commanders consuming a raw heart. The majesty of the Mother's presence was invisible to them. If any of them felt that perhaps they had earned any of the spoils of the hunt, none of them voiced it aloud. Wounds were well bandaged and stung and soothed by the various herbs boiled up. The man felled by the Hunter was duly brought before Craghley. Paws and fangs had reverted to hands and teeth but his body was still far hairer than any adhiel's should be. The wounds on his chest still bled freely though and that Craghley knew how to help.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil glanced at his brother in disbelief as he saw their surroundings change. More than ever before did he think of the cycled displayed in front of their eyes, not knowing the Leafs couldn't see it. Understanding the true way of the Hunter he now understood how badly it was corrupted when they had come to Dort. They killed it and finished it's era of corruption. They had driven an evil from this world and it made him feel good.

It was then that he heard the voice of the Mother and her offer. By right of the hunt it was their right to take what they wanted, but never should they be corrupted like the last Hunter did.

"I can not ask anything that would bring only good to the world, yet I do want part of the spoils of this game. Even when both good and evil can be done, I can only balance them as much as I can. If there's anything I'd ask of you, it's the command over animals and the ability to speak with them. Furthermore I'd like members of the Emerald Guard to be more in tune with nature than ever before. Give me the ability to spring life where there is none. These things, Mother, are my deepest desires which would help me in our quest to better the world. Please Mother, grant me these powers."

Thus the General had spoken and asked of the patron deity of the Emerald Guard. He then placed his hand on the shoulder of his brother. "Ask what you want, brother, this is your chance to take more responsibility in saving the world."[/u]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis watched in awe as the Mother showed them the true power and purpose of the Hunter. His thoughts became silent as he emptied his mind of all other distractions.

For a long while, Draydis said nothing...

"My Mother, Craghley is skilled in the art of healing. I would ask You to bestow upon him the powers of the Hunter that relate to healing the land and its people, for that is in his heart. He stood beside us in this fight, and now tends to our wounded. A man of such character deserves to grow from this encounter."

He spent another few moments in silence.

"The other warriors with us gave us strength as a unit. Without them, our fight could have ended quite differently. I ask You to give them strength and wisdom such that they can learn from this battle and become better in the future. But more importantly, I ask You to show them a brighter path to You so that they can become ever stronger in their faith. It was faith today that allowed us to defeat the Hunter, and I know it will be faith in the future challenges that will win the day as well."

He thought then about what he wanted. His heart had already decided long before he began to think, but some time was spent to make sure his decision was for truly the purpose of glorifying the Mother.

"For me, my Mother, I seek You. I would ask for the ability to improve in the hunt...the hunt to end the cycle for some when the time comes...the hunt to protect others when it is not yet their time...and the wisdom to know the difference. You have blessed my vision, hearing, and sense of smell in the past, and those primal abilities would serve me well again in the future. I ask for strength of arms to fight past the point of exhaustion, speed to be able to overcome those who are stronger than myself, the ability to move as silently as the night's shadows, and a cunning mind to elude the traps of those that would seek to entrap me. I recognize that this may require my appearance to change, but I am willing to serve you in any appearance that is suitable to You."

He thought again for a few moments.

"The Hunter was able to form a pack that came with him on his hunts. Though I would not demand any to follow me against their will, and I certainly would not want to fully transform men into wolves, I would like to be able to grant blessings to those that would voluntarily join with Your hunt. A wolf is nothing without his pack, and I desire one of my own. For a long time now, I have desired to form a unit of holy warriors within the Emerald Guard. A unit that would work as agents within the cycle of life, who would stand for and follow You in every way. For this, I pray to You to ask for the ability to recruit others into your service, to teach them of Your ways, and to wield the power of your faith energy, as our blades and bows are useless against those that have magic of their own. I have seen Your Avatar shake buildings to their foundations with Her power. I have seen the Hunter transform men into creatures with his power. I seek only to be able to begin a journey to learn how to use and control such a power such that my ability to serve You continues to grow."

Dray's eyes then closed as he continued his prayer to his Mother.

"My Mother, I thank you for hearing our prayers, and for Your love to Your children. I ask for all of us present this day to grow in our faith, gain wisdom in our thoughts and actions, and always remember that our strength came from acting as a unit this day."

Draydis looked at the spear of the Hunter. It was a fine weapon indeed. He picked it up and looked at Thran. "I believe our healer needs a weapon that is more suitable for rank formation fighting. Agreed?"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005

Return to “Dort Archive”