Genya sets out - Chyril 23rd

Moderator: Mods

Genya sets out - Chyril 23rd

Post by Guest »

Walking through the streets, Genya considered what his life had been so far, and the things that still lay in front of him. As the son of the owner of a Weapons Shop in the Citadel, he had had the good fortune of an untroubled childhood which lacked very little, except perhaps a sibling to talk to.

When he grew older he helped his father out in the store more and more frequently, usually by running errands for him, sometimes by helping customers or watching the store, and in fact he had expected that to be where his life would be going from there on, either taking over the family business, or possibly starting up a shop of his own. Weapons always were a lucrative business after all, especially in these unstable times.

All of that had changed when the War Seer had arrived. Though he visited only as a customer to his father, encountering Genya in the store as well triggered something in the Seer, and he revealed to the boy a choice in life he had never ever considered so far: a magical career, for he was convinced that Genya was gifted, even though he had not displayed any magical properties whatsoever yet.

They had talked a lot during that meeting, and several times afterwards before the Seer departed. Convincing Genya of this future had been no big deal, a few stories of magic and magical lore had been enough to gain the boy's interest, and set burning a flame of determination in him, a determination to find out if the Seer had been right; after that, it had proved a bigger issue to convince Genya's parents, but eventually they agreed.

And now here he was, walking through the streets, like he had done so many times before, the streets he had grown up in, the streets so many of his friends and family had grown up in. So often had he walked those streets before, and yet this time, it was different...
Because this time he was leaving the safety of home behind for a longer period of time, leaving to take the next step in life. Having packed his belongings, his destination was already clear: the University of Magick, to enroll, and to come back newly born, bearing the gift of magic. Or so he hoped.

"Guess it's time for school again," he muttered softly to himself, not entirely thrilled with the prospect of returning back to nights of studying again.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The streets were just beginning to bustle with activity as morningtide sent people off to their jobs and the street merchants out to ply their trade. Genya's ultimate destination was easy to find. The spires of the University rose high over the city and at least was visible to guide him on his way. Soon enough Genya was before the elaborately carved arches that led into the famed Hall of Ages, the place where a hopeful's dreams of magic either began or ended.

Standing in a nook between two stone columns to the right of the main doors stood a man dressed in black clothing. He had a wide brimmed hat to block out the sun which mostly obscured his face. He leaned against the stone of the University comfortably waiting. At Genya's approach he raised his head and smiled at the young man. "Good day to you, my boy. Am I correct in thinking that you are here to enroll in this venerable institution? Is wizardry your dream and passion?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Many different thoughts and replies crossed Genya's mind when the dark robed man addressed him; replies such as 'You already know?' and 'How could you tell? You must be a wizard of great skill!' -however he dismissed those replies hastily, realising the man had probably simply deducted the obvious, a young man, carrying his belongings, headed straight for the University. It should not have been hard to guess.

So instead of all those possibilities, he chose a somewhat uneasy and more clumsy: "I certainly a... it certainly is. Some say I have the talent but I'm not sure... are you a wizard, sir?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"No, my boy, no." As the figure pushed off the wall and onto his feet, Genya could see that he wasn't dressed in robes but in a suit that hung baggily on him. "That gift has been denied me, alas, but my interest and love of wizardry has never diminished all this yarhen since I was a young hopeful like yourself. Indeed, I am eager to help wizards-to-be along their path."

"Tell me, my boy." The man stood close before him now and smiled affably. "Has the news reached you of the recent rise in cost of magical studies?" He asked in concern.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"It... my parents took care of everything," he said, though the tone in this man's voice was upsetting him, making him less certain, "My father owns a well known shop, it shouldn't be a problem, but.. it might explain why it took so long for dad to arrange things."

He considered the possibilities which had presented themselves before him; either everything was all right, or he would need money; and if he needed money it would either come from his own pocket or again from his parents; and even if everything was all right, he still had to be tested, to see if he had the gift, something which the person in front of him had been less than succesful at.
He sighed, for a moment doubting his future lay in magic, but was determined not to let it get him down - after all, there were people who had faith in him, and without trying, how was he to know for sure? "I hope it won't be a problem," he finally said again, "What about you? Was the testing very difficult, Mr...?" - he did not finish his sentence, fishing for the stranger's name.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Call me Simon." The man said easily. "Simon Fletcher is the full name though the surname has nothing to do with my current profession." He assured the young lad. "As for the testing, it is either difficult or impossible." He shrugged. "You either have the knack or you don't. The professor I had was very supportive. Did everything he could to coax it out of me, but I just didn't have the gift and that was that."

"I can't really be any help with the test, but should you pass I can help you with what comes after." Simon explained. "I don't know what shop your family owns, my boy, but tuition here is now 8 crowns per yahren. A hefty sum to be sure. But do not despair for where there is need, there is also opportunity." Simon smiled and clapped Genya on the shoulder. "The money is out there, son, and I know where to find it. You don't get nothing for nothing but with Simon at your side I can guarantee the best bargains available and to assure that the sponsor you get is the kind of sponsor you want." He assured him. "Here, take my card."

Simon handed him a thin square of fine paper. "Go take your test and see what the family finances are like. If you need the help, old Simon here's for you. Fair enough?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Rolling the card between his fingers as he examined the writing on it, Genya couldn't help but to smile. At least now the man was getting to the point, seeking opportunity and no doubt trying to make a good buck out of it, either by trying to pull a fast one on him and swindling him out of what little money he had or, which seemed more likely at the moment, by acting as an agent, an in-between person indeed trying to link him to some sort of sponsor. In his father's store, he had seen both kind of men, and he knew enough about them to deal with them. Or so he believed.

"Fair enough," he said, his thoughts again returning to the test at hand rather than this financial problem, "But, just out of curiosity.. - what kind of sponsor does old Simon have in mind?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The card was a quality parchment inked with well drawn calligraphy. Simon paid for quality work. It read, Simon Fletcher, Agent Provocateur for the Wizardry Profession, 24 Swift Lane, Inner Ring, Citadel.

"Ah well that depends on your preferences and talents, my boy." Simon explained. "If Battle Magic is you passion then there is no shortage of causes to fight for. If your sorcery is more genteel, then its a matter of matching your talents to the needs of the wealthy. Don't worry, son. We'll find you someone. Having a mage on retainer is too sweet a deal for people to pass up."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Genya considered Simon's words well, looking for any inconsistencies or double meanings that might suggest a hidden agenda, but nevertheless couldn't find anything which hinted of this. Still, there was something about this man he did not like... -but perhaps that was just childish suspicion, it was probably nothing at all.

"I suppose it's a very nice offer, a very generous offer even, considering I have shown no talent yet whatsoever," he said, looking Simon Fletcher directly in the eye -for the was much to be said from one's expressions and the way one was acting-, "No proof of any magical gift, except the conviction of a single Seer... - I suppose I have to prove myself first by being tested, right?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Well of course, my boy. You aren't a hot commodity until you prove you have the goods." Simon met his gaze evenly. "But you have the look of a man seeking the catch so let me set your mind at ease. I am making my pitch to you before you go in because each mage in there will try to steer you to their favorite patron or pet cause. Only they will try to cloak it as being the way to get funded or as a honor or other such twaddle." Simon waved that nonsense away. "This is a business deal and I treat it as such."

"What do I get out of it?" Simon asked himself. "I get paid a commission for matching you up with the patrons. Its always your decision to sign up with them or not. I just arrange the meeting and hope it goes well." Simon explained. "I wish you luck, son. When you come out of there, I wish it to be with a bright smile and just as bright a future before you."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Genya couldn't help but to smile, a smile that he barely kept from becoming a broad grin; at least the man was honest enough about it all, he thought; he liked that. But his own realization still stood: he had to prove himself first.

"Thanks," he said while tucking the business card away, as he again glanced past Simon at the University entrance, a longing to proceed quickly rising up within him. "I'm sure I'll need it, but I'll give it all my best; I'm sure we'll meet again."

Offering a final gesture of goodbye, Genya then continued on to his actual goal, the University of Magick, and his new life... or so he still hoped.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Please continue your journey here:

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... 080#198080
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”