Seeking Employment At the Gaol (Chryil 23rd)

Moderator: Mods

Seeking Employment At the Gaol (Chryil 23rd)

Post by Guest »

Chyril 23rd, The Gaol:

Having, he hoped, not made an outright enemy out of Stu – which was a good enough start to his business in Citadel – Aarin had asked and inquired his way to the Gaol. With his satchel and well appointed dress he did not of course appear the splitting image of a guardsman to be. But then his talents lay in other directions from banging people about the head and pushing their noses into tables until they screamed whatever the person doing the banging wanted to hear.

Admittedly finding the Gaol given its domination of the skyline was not so much the issue as finding the entrance, but he'd managed that well enough. Thus the young Achadheil gently checked that his auburn hair covered the tips of his ears for now and wrapped his fur cloak close about his frame, grumbling somewhat bitterly at the imposing entrance above him. For whilst his reception by Stu had been nice enough he had a feeling given what he'd seen around him as he talked his way past the gates that not all guards would be so pleasant... and that it may require more than just introductions to explain that he was useful, since he didn't exactly fit the head banging profile above.

Moving into the shadow of its grandness and towards the rusty portcullis that marked its entrance Aarin paused and stared up at its dark, forbidding secrets. This was World's Mouth all over again, only on the other side of the world. He was here for the same reason he'd left World's Mouth, for answers, for hope.

Although he had precious little belief in either right now.

With the Oneists having destroyed his home and the Empire having not raised a finger to stop them...in fact from the rumours having colluded? Well, what was a young man like him to think when there were no sides, no right and wrong any more. He'd always born a little of that greyness after World's Mouth, selling information most ironically to the very people he hated most to escape the place, but now it was grey in darker shades, like the thickness of night, neither dark or light, with not even a trace of brightness...he walked in shadow metaphorically just as he did now did physically.

Moving to the red door that marked the entrance Aarin found he was not questioned and after watching a few come and go decided to try his luck, following a visitor to the carpeted reception room. Waiting his turn to be questioned Aarin bowed his head respectfully to the man before speaking once he'd been called, opening his cloak slightly so as not to appear so threatening where he'd had it held tight against him. This revealed the leather breeches beneath and the fine leather doublet over a silken shirt, probably not the best impression for a future employee... but then maybe it was? After all he wasnt here to just become another head banger.

“My name is Aarin Wildar Sir.” He began with a ghost of a smile in introduction. “Fresh from Aveas. As you might imagine the choices for employment there are somewhat scarce, I was a writer, an information gatherer or sorts Sir. I was wondering if there may be employment for such an individual here where I can be of assistance?”

Diving on Aarin gave his more legitimate qualifications, unwilling to diverge into the criminal... although having gambled that a writer who asked the right questions may be of use to the watch, literate men were not a dime a dozen.

“I am literate and versed in remembering things. The reason I come to you and not to the government is I also have a...decided hatred of sitting in an office, if that makes sense? I am a person of the street, not a scribe.”

So the image was given, literate scholarly writer who liked to work out in the field and now desired to direct his skills in a more public spirited way.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Sergeant had seen it all, and heard it all. New recruits came, but usually through different ways, and thus it was a rather unique situation that he had before him. There was a recruitment officer doing tours of the city each day, trying to convince young men and women to come and join the Watch, but when he sent them to Sergeant Mathews, they have already signed the papers. Then there were the minor offenders who were given a choice of ending in prison or joining the watch and working to stop their ilk from committing crimes. This guy came in of his own accord and that made him different. "First of all, hello. Secondly I do not think I am the man you are looking for. Recruitment Officer is doing his tours at the moment, and that would leave you with Secretary or Provost Marshall." He paused to ponder it for a bit and then pointed through the door behind him. "Through that door and down the hall. Climb to the second floor and third door on the right. That is where Secretary of the Watch Macy Fets sits."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived without skilling due to inactivity.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”