KC:A Private Showing (Chyril 23, Late MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

KC:A Private Showing (Chyril 23, Late MT)

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Sebastian made his way down the hallway in the college, heading toward his appointment with the Lady Samala. A young lad had given him directions to the place after he'd gotten confused in the twisting corridors, and thankfully he hadn't wandered too far off course that time would be a problem. He didn't want to arrive late after all, not for an appointment that was as important to Angelique's uncle as it was to her.

He was perhaps underdressed for a baron, favouring clothes more suited to an officer than a nobleman, for all their good quality and fancy cut. He wore a dark green shirt with loose sleeves tucked into light doeskin pants. His tall boots echoed down the corridor with each step, and the sword at his side swayed in rhythm. A thin leather case was slung over his shoulder and slapped lightly against his back as he walked.

Finally reaching the lady's rooms, Sebastian ran a hand through his reddish-gold hair and took a deep breath. Why am I nervous about this, he wondered, even as his hand stretched out and rapped against the wood of Angelique's door.

"Lady Samala?" he called through the portal. "It's Sebastian Beauvais, for our appointment?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Most of the students at the Bardic College were housed in simple dormitories containing four to six beds. However, as a fee paying student of some stature, the Lady Samala resided in a small suite of rooms at the end of one of the college wings. The suite consisted of a plushly furnished sitting room, a bedroom, dressing room, study and small bathroom. Sebastian was shown into the sitting room by a small mousy-haired maid who was shared by Angelique and some of the other fee-paying students.

“Please take a seat, sir,” said the maid, indicating a large, leather bound, upright armchair with intricately carved arms. “Mi’lady will be here shortly.” With that the timid maid vanished into an adjoining room.

In addition to two armchairs, the room contained an elegant, deep red sofa and highly polished coffee table together with a number of paintings and tapestries that hung on the walls. Most noticeable was a beautiful painting of a sunset over the college which was prominently displayed over a large stone fireplace. The picture had a simple V inscribed in one corner, possibly indicating the painter.

After a rather long wait, Angelique entered the room, resplendent in a deep red gown that matched the colour of the sofa. The gown had a fashionably low neckline but was more suited to an evening function than a dinner engagement.

The Lady Samala gave Sebastian a wide, beaming smile. “It is good to see you, Baron, Welcome to my modest rooms.” Gazing at the painting above the fireplace, she let out a sigh. “Have you seen the Velasquez? He is a truly great painter.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Thank you," replied Sebastian to the retreating form of the maid, shaking his head in some disbelief over the apparent power he had to frazzle a commoner just by arriving. It made the personable nobleman uncomfortable, but it was a facet of his new life. He would have to accept it, if not come to expect such behaviour.

He took the proffered seat and relaxed, letting his eyes wander around the sitting room. As one would expect, Lady Samala had up-scale accommodations at the school and Sebastian imagined she should feel suitably comfortable, especially in comparison with what her fellow students were likely managing. He spent a burn or two on each painting in the room, deciding which ones he liked and which ones were not to his taste. The sunset on the mantle was impressive, and the baron wondered for whom or what the V stood.

He rose when Angelique finally arrived, smiling himself. "And you as well, Lady Samala," he replied to her greeting, admiring the dress. "I fear you have outdone me completely though. My compliments - you look stunning. I trust I shan't embarrass you with my casual attire?"

"Ahh, Velasquez," Sebastian nodded in recognition as Angelique spoke of the painting over the fireplace. "I like this one," he said, pointing to the work on display, "but I fear I am hardly qualified to comment on his whole body of work. But at least I have heard of him!" he chuckled.

"His is a style you seek to emulate, I take it?" he observed of the lady's obvious respect for the artist.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

Angelique Samala fluttered her eyelashes in appreciation at Sebastian’s compliments. “Why thank you, Baron. It is gratifying for a lady to receive the admiration of a man of such status as yourself.” Whilst there may have been an element of teasing in the woman’s reply, there was also a clear vein of sincerity. Status was of some importance to this lady.

“Velasquez is undoubtedly the best modern painter in the kingdom,” said the beautiful woman, turning to gaze at the painting above the fireplace. She moved towards the picture, putting out one hand as if she desired to touch it but withdrew at the last flicker.

“His brush work is simply divine,” she breathed in an almost steamy voice. “I try to emulate him but, I am still a mere student at the feet of such a Master.”

Sighing, the blond woman returned her gaze to her guest. “And what style do you favour, Baron, for your manor?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Angelique's response to his compliment was somewhat off-putting to the young baron, realizing his title was an important part of her appreciation. He hardly knew the lady yet, but coming from such humble beginnings himself such an attitude immediately chimed warning bells in his head. He was glad her attention quickly focused on the painting above the fireplace, so that he had time to bring his thoughts back to the reason of his visit.

"I'm afraid I'll have to take your word for that, my lady. The intricacies of painting are well beyond my simple knowledge, I simply know when a completed piece appeals to me or not."

"And as for style," he said, frowning while he tried to wrap his mind around it. After all, he'd not really thought a great deal about decorating the manor, but rather jumped on this opportunity as a spur of the moment decision. "The manor is rather 'country-fied", if that is even a word. You must imagine Brie to understand, I think. It is very rural, and even the baronial capital is a rather small town by comparison to Kings Court, for example. The people lead quiet, fulfilling lives filled with family and other simple pleasures. The manor, in its construction at least, typifies this simple, wholesome quality."

"So I think the decor of my home should likewise demonstrate those qualities," Sebastian decided. "Not only that, but celebrate those virtues. So artwork focusing on nature, pastoral scenes, farming, a market perhaps? That sort of work would almost certainly be appropriate."

The baron chuckled and spread his hands, seeking Angelique's indulgence. "But as I said, mostly I just look at a painting and see that I like it or I don't. Perhaps you could show me your portfolio and we can go from there. It is," he asked a little hesitantly, "called a portfolio, isn't it?"
Guido Cercatoro

Angelique inclined her head to one side and favoured the Baron with a demure smile. “Oh. I have a very extensive portfolio, Baron. You are welcome to examine it. “The woman had an ability to breathe her words rather than simply speak them. It was undoubtedly affected and designed to flatter but, coming from such a beautiful and assured woman, it was a potent and not unpleasant weapon.

“So you favour a rustic style?” A hint of the Lady’s famed arrogance could be heard as she said the word rustic, almost as if it was a word that was beneath her to speak. “Well, perhaps, Or maybe Brie should embrace a more modern style to bring the estate up to date.”

Lady Samala moved over to a side door which she pushed open. “I have a selection of paintings in my study, Baron, if you’d care to look them over.”

If Sebastian followed Angelique he would enter a small, square-sided study. To one side of the room was a delicately carved desk. Arranged neatly on the desk were a number of books, paints and other artistic implements. Several canvasses were leant in piles against the walls but three were prominently displayed on easels. The first was a painting of the entrance hall to the college. It was a finely detailed study, revealing that the artist had a fine grasp of detail and a clear ability to accurately recreate architecture. However, it was a little flat, lacking in emotion and empathy for the subject as if the painter had simply gone through the motions. The second painting betrayed the same qualities. It was a simple painting of a dark red rose. As a truthful representation of the flower it could not be faulted but, once again, it lacked emotional depth. Taken together, the two paintings revealed an extremely competent artist but one perhaps lacking in artistic flair.

The third was totally different. It was of the student poet, Beatrix. The artist had perfectly captured the warmth and honesty of the girl. She was sitting with a book in her hand on a white bench in a flower garden, a smile of genuine affection lighting up her face. It was an exquisite painting.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Just as with the previous night, Sebastian couldn't help but focus on the double meaning in almost everything Angelique said. Granted her looks, accentuated by the striking gown, would lead any man down that path, but the young baron still felt somewhat ashamed of his rather base interpretation of her every word. Strangely, it didn't embarrass him enough to back away from engaging in the sport, if that's what it was. Perhaps with Terripin not around this time Sebastian felt a little freer to engage in such conversation.

"I'm sure you have displays showing all sorts of techniques," agreed the baron with his own hint of a smile. "Several of which I am sure will appeal to my sensibilities, quaint as they are. In today's world of hustle and bustle one can still find great pleasure in simple things - serene countryside, honest emotion, a beautiful face." Sebastian paused for the merest flicker. "I can't imagine anyone saying no to such a generous offer."

Trailing after the apprentice artist, Sebastian briefly glanced about the room to ascertain its nature and then focused on the three paintings in the central display. He spent a few burns looking at each of the first two, admiring the detail but finding each leaving him unmoved in terms of truly desiring the piece. His eyes widened as he took in the third piece though, and not only because the work was far and away the best of the three.

"This one is excellent," he murmured, turning to glance at Angelique. He wondered if there was a special bond between the two that led to such a stirring capture of emotion in the piece. "Is this not the poet from last night's reading, the one who caused such a stir with Skuttles? Beatrix, I believe you named her?"
Guido Cercatoro

Lady Samala’s cheeks blushed a bright red colour at Sebastian’s praise for her painting. Indeed, she appeared distinctly flustered, lowering her eyes and nervously brushing her hands down the side of her dress.

“You are kind,” she whispered. “I do believe it is one of my better paintings. It is of the poet, Beatrix. I have a high regard for her….talent … as a poet, of course.” Angelique spoke rather hastily as if the haughty woman was, for once, genuinely embarrassed. “She is a poet of genuine brilliance, I believe, despite her unconventional views. Her heart is in the right place, she would never wish anyone any harm. Unlike that damn headmaster.” She spoke the last sentence with a degree of venom in her voice that contrasted sharply with the tender manner in which she spoke of the poet.

“He unnerves me, that man does, Baron. I feel his eyes boring into me. At times, I even think he desires me.” Shuddering and gulping, the Lady Samala was now far from the assured and playful woman that had greeted the Baron.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian let Angelique stumble through her appreciation of Beatrix, feeling it would even more embarrass the young lady by interrupting her midway. There was clearly a reason behind the added emotion in that painting, but the full extent of it the baron decided to leave buried. That was between Angelique and Beatrix.

The young noblewoman's disdain for Skuttles was a dramatic shift, and although she still seemed flustered it was clearly caused by an opposite emotion. Sebastian pursed his lips as pondered how to respond. Her revulsion at the headmaster's amorous attention, combined with the apparent attachment to Beatrix, made things even more delicate.

"My lady, while I understand your dislike for the Headmaster I think you well understand your effect on most men," he opened, trying for if not a fatherly tone, at least a brotherly one that she might respect. "I daresay you might even use it to your advantage, on occasion." The red dress was hardly subtle, but it was effective nonetheless and there was no doubt Angelique new it. Still, Sebastian's tone was mild, appreciative even. He meant to bolster her self-esteem, not deflate it.

"So it does not surprise me that the Headmaster, along with most likely half the school's enrollment, finds you desirable. You are, quite simply, a very beautiful young woman." The baron let a wry smirk slip onto his face. "Of course, it also does not surprise me that you find the headmaster's attention disturbing. I imagine many ladies would."

"Ultimately you have to take the good with the bad. No one can control who finds them attractive, as much as we all would like to do so." Sebastian pushed away a rogue thought of Cerise, focusing on the matter at hand. "All you can do is be respectful and clear when you find another's attention unwanted."

Sebastian paused a flicker or two, until a new thought darkened his brow. "Unless the Headmaster has made inappropriate advances?" he asked suddenly, a dangerous coldness in his crisp blue eyes. "If he has abused his position with you, then that is something altogether different." The baron's tone left no doubt that he took this potential issue very seriously.
Guido Cercatoro

“I confess that I do not hesitate to use my natural advantages when the occasion requires it,” admitted Angelique, ruefully. “This is a society where men hold the power, so we poor women have to use whatever weapons that we have at our disposal. Still, you are right to say that beauty is a double-edged sword, for it attracts the undesirable as well as the desirable. And thank you for the compliment, Baron. I can assure you that your comments are of the desirable kind.” There was a brief, barely discernible flutter in the woman’s eyelashes but she did not return fully to her former playfulness, for clearly the thought of Skuttles still disturbed her.

“The headmaster has never been more than courteous to me. He has not made any untoward advances. Yet, I feel his gaze on me.” She stopped abruptly, a shiver running across her body. Clasping her arms around her chest, she cast her eyes down to the ground. “Sometimes I feel he is inside my head, trying to speak to me. And then I turn around and he is there, even though I had not seen him. And I have noticed the way he looked at the paintings Velasquez has done of me, before they were stolen, of course. “

“Perhaps it is my imagination,” she sighed. “I just wish the man was gone from here, for I truly love the college. I may be thought of as arrogant but the arts are my passion.”

“So, do you like my paintings enough to commission me?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian offered the young lady a small, kindly smile as she admitted what they both already knew was a powerful weapon in her possession. He allowed the smile to widen, and inclined his head as well, when she suggested his attention was pleasing. Angelique's next words were not quite unnerving, but they did evoke a thoughtful gaze upon the baron's face. He stroked his moustache as he thought about the possible implications for a few flickers.

"I wonder if there might be some odd power at play," he ventured at last, raising an eyebrow at Terripin's niece. "Has there ever been a mention of special talents in your family? Premonitions, dreams, or something similar?" The baron hoped there might be, for the alternative could be Skuttles himself. That put an entirely different complexion on his potential opposition to Sebastian's plans.

When they were finished with that and back to discussing painting, Sebastian brought up two points.

"I hadn't heard you had been a subject for Velasquez," he admitted. "What is this story of a theft?"

And then, "I think it would be worth a trial, yes." Sebastian smiled, before growing a little more serious. Although he was always going to offer Angelique at least one work's commission to further engage Terripin, he still would prefer as good a piece as he could get. "But rather than stipulate what the piece must be, I would like you to paint something about which you are passionate." He glanced again at the painting of Beatrix, clearly Angelique's best work. "Perhaps not your friend, but something that stirs you in a similar fashion."

"How does that sound?"
Guido Cercatoro

The Lady shook her head at Sebastian’s query concerning strange talents within her family. “Nothing of the sort, I am afraid Baron. We appear to be a supremely ordinary family in that regard.” She paused for a few flickers, breathing deeply, her breasts heaving beneath her tight gown. “And I am not the only one to have felt that man touch my mind, there are others who claim…..Still, I may be imagining this. I dislike the man so intensely that I may be turning him into more of a monster than he really is.”

“As for the theft. Velasquez did a series of paintings of me. He says I have such perfect skin.” Angelique giggled in an almost girly fashion. “He put them on display in the long gallery in the west wing but one night they were stolen. The door was locked and there was no evidence of a break in. I have never seen Velasquez so angry. The headmaster promised to investigate but Velasquez claims he never did. Why I can’t think, for Skuttles is usually very protective of the college’s property. And that is all I know.”

“Velasquez has promised to do me another portrait of me although I fear he will be busy in the near future. I hear that he has been asked by our new regent to do a portrait of a lady.”

Lady Samala’s face lit up with delight at Sebastian’s suggestion of a commission. “That would be perfect, Baron. A single piece would be ideal. I was afraid you might wish for more and, in truth, I am still at the beginning of my career as a painter. I shall give some thought as to what I might paint, unless you wish me to do a portrait of you, Baron?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded thoughtfully as Angelique dismissed the notion that her family was gifted with any sort of mental sorcery. Her mention of others complaining of the same sense of intrusion was disturbing though, for that clearly pointed a finger at the headmaster himself. If Skuttles could truly invade someone's mind he would be a most dangerous opponent.

"That does seem a little strange," was all he said in response to the story surrounding the stolen paintings. Coupled with the suspicion of Skuttles' intrusive mental powers, he half-suspected the man of having stolen the paintings himself, to ensure a private viewing of the works. What a scandal that would be, were it true! Something to file away, perhaps.

The worst news was indirect mention of Cerise yet again. Her name kept coming up, and not in any of the ways for which Sebastian would have hoped. This time it was Velasquez, commissioned to paint a lady for the new regent. And who else would Leonius have the master portrait than his promised, the young Lady Kriesbon? Sebastian let the mention go by without remark, but he could feel the thunderheads building within. They would come to fruition sooner rather than later, he felt.

The baron also noticed his companion had once again fallen back into her practiced ways, even as his body unconsciously responded to the sight of her in that red dress, breathing deeply and giggling like a little girl. Chiding himself mentally, Sebastian let the barest of smiles touch his lips while he marvelled at his own folly. Even while angry thoughts of Cerise banged around his head, Angelique still stirred his attention. Which she further focused by mention a personal portrait as the subject of her commission.

"I had not thought to be so self-indulgent," Sebastian replied, "though I suppose I will need something to hang in the manor eventually. To prove I was there, at least," he chuckled, favouring Angelique with a quick wink. "But I think my main comment still stands. I want your best work, both for my own selfish greed," he smiled, "and to promote your budding career. And that means you need to be invested enough in your subject to transfer those emotions into the painting."

"I will defer the choice of subject to you, under those conditions. If, after consideration, you want to paint me, I'm yours."
Guido Cercatoro

Now thoroughly recovered from her momentary discomfort, the Lady Samala tilted her head to one side before directing a doe-eyed look towards Sebastian. “Well, there are many things that stir my passions. I shall think it over a little, Baron, before deciding on my final subject for your painting.”

“Tell me Baron,” continued Angelique, wandering across the room to gaze out of a small window that lay behind her desk. “Is there a baroness or other lady in your life at present? For if not, there will be many ladies at court who will be seeking your attentions, I am sure.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian smiled playfully at Angelique. "That's all I could hope for, my lady," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

He watched Angelique as she crossed to gaze out the window, and quirked an eyebrow as she asked about other paramours. Now that was a very good question, wasn't it? He knew how he should answer, but ended up saying something else altogether.

"There is no baroness," he explained with a slight shake of his head. His playful tone was gone, replaced by something more wistful. "Although I hope that won't always be the case. My circumstances have changed so drastically lately that I just haven't had much time to pursue the matter."

"Nor have I spent any significant time at court. If stability returns to the realm then that might be a stronger possibility, although I'm not sure I'll have to worry about too much attention," he said, blushing slightly. "I think we've already established I'm a little, how should I say it, provincial for the tastes of those who favour the capital and its court."

"Mostly I wonder about love though," he ventured softly, not sure why he was opening up to Terripin's niece. Perhaps he would have opened up to anyone who had asked, rather than keep such thoughts bottled up any longer. "It seems not a privilege granted to those of the nobility. The price of success, as it were." A rueful quirk twisted his lips, and after an uncomfortable flicker his eyes slipped away to the inanimate distractions in the room.
Guido Cercatoro

Continuing to gaze thoughtfully out of the window, the Lady Samala sighed. “It is a price we pay for the privileges of nobility, Baron. We rarely get to marry for love. Still, as a man you may hope to choose. However, as a woman, my father or Lord Terripin will no doubt instruct me as to whom I am to marry.”

Turning to face Sebastian, Angelique smoothed her hands down her dress. Silhouetted against the light of the window, the woman’s beauty was readily apparent, her slim, elegant figure perfectly caught in the outline of the window frame.

“You need not worry about failing to attract women. You are a Baron. Even if you were hideous and uncultured, which rest assured you are not, your status would attract many unattached ladies.”

“But tell me Baron,” the blond-haired woman continued with a curious look on her face. “If you had to give up all your privileges and your barony for a deep passionate love, would you do so? Or would you bury your feelings to protect your status?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded thoughtfully to Angelique's comment, realizing that he was in a better position than the ladies at court in the fact he could choose who he married, bound only by duty to his office. Angelique, on the other hand, would sadly have even less say in her future. Funny how these inconvenient practicalities never seemed important when commoners dreamt of the nobility, as he often had as a lad.

"You are kind to say so," he acknowledged the lady's compliment on his looks and disposition, even as he struggled with his physical reaction to her own appearance as she turned back to face him. The light was highlighting her hair in just the most alluring way...but they were talking of love! What of Cerise, you fool? Keep your self under control!

Her next question caught him off guard, and Sebastian barked out a little laugh before he could gather his thoughts. "What would you have of me, my lady? Do I act the romantic hero of the bard's tales, tossing away power and privilege to sweep the milkmaid away into blissful ever after? Or do I gallantly sacrifice personal happiness for the betterment of Brie, such that the kingdom might heal itself and the people as a whole lead better lives?" Despite Angelique's phrasing Sebastian did not even consider holding onto position for the personal power.

"Neither are happy choices, and whichever I pick lessens me somehow in your eyes, I suspect. Yours is a cruel question," he lightly admonished the lady. "But then again, so is life, I suppose."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Sebastian sucked in a deep breath and then blew it out. "I would like to say the good of the kingdom would take precedence over my personal happiness, but I fear in the end my own selfishness would hold sway," he said, finally answering Angelique's question. "If I was truly in love beyond hope, I would likely opt to forgo my social status for life with my soul mate. May the people forgive my weakness."
Guido Cercatoro

Angelique let out a tinkling peal of laughter as she listened to Sebastian’s reply. “So, ultimately, Baron, you are a romantic. How glorious. I am afraid that I would most likely choose the alternative. I like my privileges too much to give them up.”

Pursing her lips, ruefully, the blond woman ran the fingers of one hand delicately across the top of the frame of the portrait of Beatrix. “I shall undoubtedly end up married to some old, decrepit Lord who wants to show off a trophy to his fellow nobles. I doubt I shall marry for love. Unless….”

A sharp knock sounded out from the front door of the apartment and Sebastian heard the scurrying steps of the maid as she rushed to answer it. A flicker of annoyance crossed Angelique’s face.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian spread his hands and smiled despite himself. "Guilty as charged, I'm afraid."

The baron was once again struck by how lovingly Angelique treated the painting of Beatrix, even as she spoke of her likely marriage to some decrepit lord. He wondered just what sort of relationship the two had, half fearful to know the whole truth.

"Unless?" he managed to take her up in her hanging sentence just as the knock sounded. Eyebrows rising, Sebastian glanced out towards the sitting room where he had first been greeted.

"Are you expecting more visitors, my lady? I had hoped you might still join me for the midday meal, once were finished here."
Guido Cercatoro

“….unless, I turn in to a romantic,” continued the Lady Samala. “But I doubt that will happen. Of course, there is always the hope that I find some noble whom I admire, if not love.” There was a trace of sarcasm in the blonde’s voice as she spoke and continued to touch, indeed almost caress, the painting of Beatrix.

“Well, I suppose I shall have to see who is responsible for this interruption.” Angelique strode to the door of the room. “I am expecting no-one. I had fully planned for a luncheon date with you, Baron.” She entered the sitting room, inviting Sebastian to follow her.

If the Baron followed Angelique he would see the maid standing at the open door of the apartment in conversation with a brown-haired youth of medium height.

**************************************************************************************************

(OOC: continued from here)

Apart from his brief encounter with Emily, the remainder of Reinhard’s journey to Lady Samala’s room proved to be uneventful. His knock on the door was soon answered by a petite, mousy-haired maid.

“Yes, can I help you,” said the maid, glancing down at the letter in Reinhard’s hand.

Behind the maid, the new arrival could see the distinctive figure of the beautiful woman he had seen depicted in the paintings. There was no doubt that this was Angelique, Lady Samala.
Reinhard
Civus

Post by Reinhard »

Reinhard was still shivering from his encounter with 'Emily' when the door opened. Giving himself a shake, and the maid a pleasant smile.

"Hi there! I've a letter for the Lady Samalala. Er, Samala. Heh. Funny name." He suddenly spotted the Lady herself standing behind the maid, and quickly cleared his throat. "Er, anyway, here is the letter, addressed from Master HillBorn, to Lady Samala." So this was the young lady who, given a slight change in my plans, could have become an important pawn in a blackmail scheme. He could not resist giving the Lady Samala a cheeky grin, before turning back to the maid.

"So here is the message." Reinhard offered the maid the letter, feeling a little mischievous after the week's events. "You know, where I come from, it's customary to give the messenger a few banners and a kiss."

Just because I didn't use you for blackmail, Lady Angelique Samala, does not mean I will not clean out your room of valuables, given the opportunity. Not that he bore her any grudge. She was simply rich, and he was simply a thief.
Last edited by Reinhard on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

A tall red-haired man, dressed in simple but fine clothes, appeared into Reinhard's view. Sebastian barely entered the room, just far enough to see what the interruption was about but not enough to force attention to his presence. He was, after all, a guest and did not want to intrude on a caller seeking Angelique.

From his position Sebastian observed the conversation at the door, not recognizing the youth but paying attention due to Lady Samala's apparent irritation at the interruption more than anything else. He quirked an eyebrow at the messenger's cheeky request for payment, but otherwise made no motion to get involved in the scene at all.
Guido Cercatoro

The maid giggled and blushed at Reinhard’s request but took the letter he proffered without offering either banners or a kiss. The Lady Samala strode imperiously over to the door, snatching the letter from the maid’s hand. She gave Reinhard a glance that would have withered the most confident of men.

“You are rather impertinent for a mere messenger.” She spoke in a manner that was only a little short of offensive. Yet, close up, the startling beauty of the woman was apparent to the thief. “I do not know you, do I?” She did not glance at Reinhard as she spoke but fixed her eyes on the letter. “Oh…. this is not from that idiot halfling, it is from the headmaster.” She turned to glance backwards to where Sebastian was standing in the door, a stricken look now on her face.
Reinhard
Civus

Post by Reinhard »

“You are rather impertinent for a mere messenger.”

"Well you're rather rude for a lady, but you don't hear me complaining," Reinhard shot back with a grin.

He was indeed, taken back by her beauty, but he quickly blinked and gave a mental shrug. She might be a pretty face, but with the kind of company he kept, a pretty face was something to be wary about. Pretty girls make a good distraction for the ugly girl to grab your purse.

“I do not know you, do I?”

"Not very likely, unless you've taken to drinking at bawdy roadside taverns." He glanced at the redheaded man standing behind, then back at Angelique, then back at the redhead again. His eyes widened slightly.

"Oh, I didn't know you had...company." Reinhard tried very hard to keep from grinning at the redheaded man, before turning back to Angelique. "Do you have a return message for Master HillBorn? If not, I'll be going. Don't forget the tip. Just banners, no kisses. You're a little cold for my liking."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian watched the scene at the door quietly, inwardly wincing as Angelique used her "noble voice" on the messenger. He thought the young man was being rather presumptuous with his banter, but the harsh feel of Angelique's words struck too close to home for a man who only recently left such social standing behind. He could imagine the messenger's insides turning to steel to deflect the implied criticism in her words, and the coldness that would exude from his heart toward her from that moment forward.

She does indeed like her privilege, thought Sebastian briefly. But is it deliberate or merely that she knows no better, having never been taught to concern herself with the feeling of those beneath her? The baron recalled the way Angelique's fingers caressed the painting in the other room and guessed she did have stores of compassion; it would just take the right person or situation to draw out that behaviour.

Once his haughty hostess realized the author of the letter and cast her stricken gaze his way, Sebastian's mood softened toward her somewhat. Perhaps it is simply the callous cruelty of youth? he wondered, as Angelique flipped instantly from the hard mistress answering the door to a frightened girl looking for help. Trying hard not to be cynical about his observations, for he himself couldn't be much more than a handful of yahren her elder, Sebastian took pity on the lady and took a step toward her.

That was when Reinhard offered the last of his too familiar comments, and Sebastian's eyes hardened. He reached Angelique and briefly placed a consoling hand on her shoulder as he passed, and then turned his attention to the cheeky messenger.

"You'd do well to watch your tongue, and remember that you are speaking to a Lady," he cautioned Reinhard, his tone emphasizing the capital 'L' in the title. It was not a threat, but there as no doubting Sebastian was pointing out an invisible social line that was perilously close to being crossed.

"Thank you for your service," he continued, fishing a couple of banners from his purse and handing then over to the lad. "Please indicate to Master Hillborn that the letter has been successfully delivered, and a response will follow after the Lady has had time to digest its contents." The baron's eyes carried a look of dismissal, and Sebastian hoped Reinhard would take the hint and leave quietly. The last thing Sebastian wanted was to be forced into disciplining an unruly messenger goaded by Angelique's frosty behaviour.

Return to “KC Archive”